ADK Tamashii fun time - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1550 Views )

karasu99
22th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"ADK Tamashii fun time" , posted Fri 12 Dec 01:32post reply

So ADK Tamashii ships next week, if I read correctly, and I was wondering if I'm the lone soul here who is intent on buying it. Especially given Iggy's heartless panning of the idea of such a collection when it was first announced.

For me, these games all (with the exception of Ninja Commandos) have very specific nostalgic meaning: Ninja Combat was both the first Neo Geo title that I became obsessed with and the first cart I owned. I can remember laughing with my roommate at the hilarious English voice acting: "WHO are YOU??? YOU'RE the one who..."

Gan Gan, oddly enough, was the first Neo Geo CD game that I owned. I can't say I loved it, even then, but the price was right at free with the system.

Twinkle Star Sprites was an obsession for me on the Dreamcast. This was long after I had traded both my Neo Geo cart system and my NGCD, so I had no choice but to get it on DC-- but I loved it, and it's what ultimately brought me back into the shooter fold after years of avoiding them.

Lastly, Ninja Masters I have incredibly fond memories of playing in MAME on a work computer, during work hours, at a professional workplace, with a coworker, while avoiding work. This, of course, was years later. It will be great to finally play it on a television, legally, at home, and with a proper controller.

So, does anyone else have some ADK love? Surely I can't be the only one.

Replies:

Toxico
4585th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):ADK Tamashii fun time" , posted Fri 12 Dec 02:10:post reply

My mod chip got toasted afortunately I can still play US original copies perfectly (there goes my SRW imports, ashing in their polished boxes).... So, I'm luckly only 6 years away from this game or a 02UM US release.

quote:

So, does anyone else have some ADK love? Surely I can't be the only one.

I remember that in the arcade, in Ninja Combat there it was this weird trick where you could play 2 players with one credit. The whole town played the game endlessly due to that. Also, there it was an arcade that had a stupid bug where the last boss was invincible, I remember we measured how long it could take one to fight the boss, our sponsor maimed the boss for 90 minutes without getting hit to no avail. Years later he fought it out in mame and killed him in two minutes with no sweat.

Ninja Commando had this nasty feature where Fuuma could one shot most bosses. "Learn the stage and abuse this" was the town motto (and perhaps was illegally craved on a statue close to the arcades, I need to check out). We never tried playing without Fumma in the pair at the time, it seems that we where nothing more than some damn stupid braty kids that hold on to their costy credits, that for sure.

Gan Gan? This game was pretty famous here, the machine was almost never alone and could be found since the release date to somewhere around 98... Soy el hombre más fuerte del mundo. ¿Qué pasa? Levantate idiota * insert worshiping 'uka chaka' icons and obscene voodoo dance teleport action figures *

I managed to enjoy Twinkle Star Sprites on a competitive stage on the arcades some years ago... so, the few times I could not muster enough confidence to bust up Memory's skirt; I could spend the day beating up my close friends, lucky me.

On Ninja Master we had a huge croud competiting over high scores, but not many people used to play 2p challenges. There it was this stupid guy who thought that he could play the game like SF2 with Kamui, and that always challenged us. But lastly was not anything that Raiga couldn't cruely traumatize, those strong / good sweeps cancels mixed up with overhead combos where just ahead of their time.

* stares oddly, waiting for Red Falcon's reply. *

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 09/12/08 (58 personajes)

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 12 Dec 02:12]

hikarutilmitt
479th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):ADK Tamashii fun time" , posted Sat 13 Dec 07:53post reply

I'm sure that I'll be trying it out and buying the inevitable US release both to support SNK and because I love Ninja Masters and Twinkle Star Sprites. Gan Gan sucks huge amounts of burro turd but I suppose I can mess with it to marvel at how much better Kisara's sprite is in NGBC (and hope maybe she'll show up in another game some time).

karasu99
33th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):ADK Tamashii fun time" , posted Tue 6 Jan 07:22post reply

Well, now that year end is done, I've had a chance to play with this somewhat.

The bottom line is that I've found nothing bad in ADK Tamashii that wasn't already bad in the original, with one exception-- Ninja Masters, which is really, really fun, doesn't have an in-game accessible practice mode. In order to play practice, you have to exit to the main menu, choose Ninja Masters again, and then select Practice. Would it have been so hard to let you access it from within the game itself, without having to do the ridiculous loading all over again?

Toxico
4612th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):ADK Tamashii fun time" , posted Tue 6 Jan 07:29post reply

quote:
Would it have been so hard to let you access it from within the game itself, without having to do the ridiculous loading all over again?

The original one didn't have practice mode... So instead of changing the original to have practice they instead choose to made "another version of the game" that's nothing but practice mode. It was quicker to do "two games" instead of making changes to the original only to add practice mode. You can see this happening in other ports as well (like World Heroes Gorgeous)

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 05/01/09 (64 personajes)