Rare characters and you - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3218 Views )

Iggy
8754th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 09:55post reply

In a very old thread exhumed recently, our friend Rugal professed his interest for Birdie, a SFZero character I never really played. I always thought nobody played him after Zero 2, once Zangief came back, but obviously I was wrong.

At first, I was making a thread on 360° characters (from Victor to Hugo, from T.Hawk to Karin), but then I found out I had nothing to say on the subject.
So, let's make it on rare characters, those poor souls nobody uses in rosters that grow more and more insane (KOF XII being the big exception here).

You like Chin Gensai being in XII? You refuse to play a KOF game where you can't use Hinako? You have never seen anyone use Sean in Third Strike and you wonder if such a person exists? You think the only character SF4 misses is Maki from Final Fight 2 ?

Speak up! And explain.

Replies:

Toxico
4572th Post

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 10:48post reply

quote:
Speak up! And explain.

This topic is soooo good, that I have a hard time choosing what to say. Since my early years, when I prefered to clear Final Fight with Guy ; or when I puked upon the shoto matches, I knew I was different.

I'll be back after some Eristoffs, it's Friday night after all

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Hungrywolf
3145th Post

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 11:06post reply

quote:
You have never seen anyone use Sean in Third Strike and you wonder if such a person exists?

Is Sean rarely used? I use him from time to time. My most used characters in Third Strike are Ibuki, Chun Li, Sean, and Makoto.

I don't know if anyone I use is rare. I know some definitely aren't, like Terry and Ken. What about Blue Mary? Do a lot of people use her? I would think they do, since she's made so many appearances. I also really like to use King in KoF games and CvS2, but again, I think she is probably not rare to use.

nobinobita
451th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 11:23post reply

quote:
In a very old thread exhumed recently, our friend Rugal professed his interest for Birdie, a SFZero character I never really played. I always thought nobody played him after Zero 2, once Zangief came back, but obviously I was wrong.

At first, I was making a thread on 360° characters (from Victor to Hugo, from T.Hawk to Karin), but then I found out I had nothing to say on the subject.
So, let's make it on rare characters, those poor souls nobody uses in rosters that grow more and more insane (KOF XII being the big exception here).

You like Chin Gensai being in XII? You refuse to play a KOF game where you can't use Hinako? You have never seen anyone use Sean in Third Strike and you wonder if such a person exists? You think the only character SF4 misses is Maki from Final Fight 2 ?

Speak up! And explain.

I always forget that Todoh is in CVS2. I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually play as him.

Pollyanna
2602th Post

"Re(2):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 11:26post reply

Yay! Fun topic! I hope I don't miss the point.

Karin is probably my favorite character in anything ever. I couldn't get enough Capcom Fighting Jam simply because she was in it. I would be thrilled beyond imagination if she would somehow worm her way into SF4. I would suddenly become a very enthusiastic supporter of the game if that happened.

Similarly, Tabasa saved SNK vs Capcom for me...and even though I don't like the system in Guilty Gear very much, it has so many characters I love to use that I end up playing it all the time.

I've been hurting on KOF lately, even though KOFXI is probably my all-time favorite fighting game. My favorite characters are Jhun, May Lee, Hinako and Shermie...so I'm practically salivating over '02 UM. After that, I don't know if I'll need a new fighting game -ever-. The only character from XI I'll really really miss is Gai.

If I make this post any longer, I don't think anyone will bother reading it, so I'll conclude by saying I really miss Lei Lei and considering how many Capcom characters I love and want to see again, the Tatsunoko vs Capcom cast is a huge disappointment to me.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Variable Savior
455th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 12:54post reply

I've a weakness for grapplers but even that can't explain why Hugo is my favorite character in SFIII. There's something about his fugly design and weirdo moves (i.e. crouching roundhouse) that just makes him incredibly endearing to me.

I also have to profess a fondness of Karin - I almost want to say that she's the best character Capcom's ever come up with. It's like she's a SNK character trapped in a Capcom game and somehow ends up better than any of SNK's own characters.

KoF-wise I loooove Shermie and Vice - almost exclusively for the Shermie Whip and Gorefest. Awesome character designs don't hurt either

And I don't know why but on those occasions I play Super Smash Bros Brawl I always use Bowser - I don't care how crappy he is (or apparently how badly I get beat...)

Blood marks heaven's path

ONSLAUGHT
3782th Post

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 14:15post reply

quote:

Speak up! And explain.

Oh, I have a very weak spot for weird characters!
Dhalsim was my very first pick in SF II, I remember I was thinking "Oh, he's gotta be the strongest fighter, he can stretch, nobody can touch you!"
In Third Strike I always pick Hugo, Q, Necro and Twelve.
I'm always up for weird or monstruous/ugly characters

Maou
1535th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 14:18:post reply

quote:
I'll be back after some Eristoffs, it's Friday night after all

I like Toxico's plan.

Iggy, great topic. Let me see...I have sort of a thing for playing as Seung Mina in Soul Calibur 1 and 2 even though it seems that Kilik should be better in most respects, and he doesn't need to be unlocked.

In SFZero 2, I always liked Rolento. Did anyone play him? The top American players said in that legendary Versus Books guide that his Stinger projectile might be the best in the game. I don't know about that. But his "eat fire!" grab that always misses and his crouching strong that hits twice were delightful, along with his triple even if it leaves you wide open. I've never seen a good one, though.

Same for Gen, who I hear can be devastating. Unfortunately, he seems like too big a pain in the ass to use, so I've never seen a good Gen among my crew. I alone used him just so I could make him say "you are a big fool" when I won.

Oh yeah, for Justice Gakuen! I was really a Daigo and Hyou man, but on occasion I would go crazy and only use...Raizou. He brings out the PSOne polygon hell like no fighter since Tekken 2, and he's disastrously uncool compared to other characters, but sometimes I would get an urge to keep playing as him and worse, I kept on winning. Like with some addictive but destructive drug, I knew I'd better stop or else I'd be all alone in playing this rare/retarded character. OH, I did the same thing for Gan one time, but this unused character also sucks. None of us ever played/saw a good Gan.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 6 Dec 14:25]

Hungrywolf
3147th Post

"Re(3):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 15:06post reply

I also am fond of Karin. I should've mentioned Vice earlier. I use Vice in KoF and in the CvS games. I wasn't sure if she'd be considered among the rare characters, but since others have mentioned her, I have to profess my love of her as well.

Toxico
4574th Post

"Re(3):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 15:25:post reply

quote:
In SFZero 2, I always liked Rolento. Did anyone play him?

He was easily the most overpowered character of the game (kinda like Guy in SFZ1). The speed, range and strenght of his normals where just to good; not to mention that no character in the game was prepared for his tricky defensive or feint intended moves. His wire SC was just too good, and the grenade SC was slow & hard to use, but powerful when properly understood; this comes from someone who played the game for years, facing every match up several times used by different players (and different cities sometimes).

The coronel stands strong 南斗無音拳. To put it simply, Ryu wasn't "Kenshiro" enough to stop you.

Also, I wouldn't call Karin or Vice "rare", they are characters that where very carefuly designed in many aspects to properly applease a 'somewhat mainstream' audience (just like Guy, ha ha).

quote:
I like Toxico's plan.

The second fase involves few more shots, man made food, some sleep hours and a better mp3 play list

EDIT 1 : esuperingu

EDIT 2 : I used to get many straight wins with Jin Fuha in Ryuuko Gaiden. And even to this day, I don't feel ashamed nor dirty about it.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 6 Dec 15:33]

Nobinobita
452th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 16:18post reply

quote:

Speak up! And explain.

This is a Great topic!

I really liked playing as Hauzer in Capcom Fighting Jam. The Warzard characters really made that game for me, especially Hauzer. I already liked the character himself (I like cool looking monsters with dignified sounding names like Ridley from Metroid)but I also liked how he played. I'm partial to charge characters, and I enjoyed the limitless alpha 2 inspired counters you could pull off with the Warzard guys.

I also liked how huge he was. It made him a gigantic target, possibly the worst character in the game, but I always had fun playing him, especially against my friend who liked using Jedah. It felt like I was controlling the boss character from a hack and slash game. FUN!

Evenor
677th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 16:34post reply

Female grapplers in general are what make me love SNK so much. That is why KOF 2k2UM looks so appetizing! My dream teams can finally be realized! I just hope that she is nothing like her 2k3 counterpart because that was an insult to all that's Hinako. I love her and I want my hands to slave themselves to becoming the most BADASS Hinako player alive.

I also have a real fun time playing with Seth. He has lots of moves and stuff but then you realize he just can't stand up to the rest of the roster. Whats even more sad is that his best incarnation in a game is in the KOF:MI series!

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Juke Joint Jezebel
3642th Post

"Re(5):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 17:19post reply

i also love rare characters. there's something about freaks or people with an awkward set of moves that appeals to me

Street Fighter Alpha has a lot of my favorites. Juni rocks my world, i love how Karin's a stuck up bitch, R. Mika is fun, and i'll also second Gen. there was a time when i considered myself "good" with Gen, but his learning curve is a lot steeper than most characters so it always takes me a while to get into his groove, unless i've been practicing the game a lot

no one's mentioned him yet and i haven't seen many people use him so i'll consider him rare, but i secretly love using E Honda, especially after they gave him that 360 'slam-and-sit' move

Time Mage
2730th Post

"Re(6):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 19:47post reply

Hm, I usually use all characters (or mostly all). I don't have any specially bizarre character as my favorites, though.

However, in CvS2, I tend to use some very underused characters. One of my favorite teams in there is what I call "Athena and Friends", which is comprised of S-Groove Athena and either two random picks or two of the following: Raiden, Zangief, Chang/Choi, or Todoh. Todoh specially is awesome in CvS2, with his bizarre style of play based on his multi-hit waves and his command grab.

More underused characters I use frequently in other games are Elisabeth in KOFXI (her design is great, but I don't see anyone pick her ever) or Necro in Third Strike (I love the character although I SUCK badly with him).

I was going to mention Faust in GG, but honestly... Most GG characters fit the "weird/ugly" profile, and basically no one is underused, so it's a game that you can't really say you pick the weird/underused character.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Nekros
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 20:22post reply

Well, I'm used to like strange/freaky designs but it doesn't mean that it ends up liking the gameplay of certain characters (like most of GG cast).
Also, being a goth myself, I find dark/goth characters in fighters are too feminine and gayish, and I'm not so pleased about it.

In terms of gameplay it simply goes this:

Street Fighter: although I don't like her design, I like to play Cammy a lot. Usually I like quick characters with long range "physical" moves (not energy balls or similar). Elena from TS is also one of my favourites. I like Zangief too, maybe the only 360-type that I play. Dudley is badass for sure, but I'm not as skilled playing him. Yang and Karin are good choices to me, and I like Adon in the Zero series.

Vampire: I used to be skilled with Aulbath. Is this lame? I like his chains and combos a lot, is perfect to afford most of the chars in the game (at an average level at least, I never fight a very skilled player). Gallon is one my favourites too. I personally like Jedah's and Lilith design (execpt that stupid bat thing on legs) but I don't like play as them.

KOF:King and Oswald are among my favourites (not the most played) in terms of gameplay. KOF has LOTS of good characters to hang up with, but I don't stand the grapplers.

Other SNK Games: Genjuro and Basara from SS, Setsuna and Yuki from GNK, Hotaru and Freeman from MOTW, HonFu from FFRB.

Pollyanna
2603th Post

"Re(7):Rare characters and you" , posted Sat 6 Dec 22:11post reply

quote:

More underused characters I use frequently in other games are Elisabeth in KOFXI (her design is great, but I don't see anyone pick her ever) or Necro in Third Strike (I love the character although I SUCK badly with him).

I think you don't see much Elizabeth because she's verrryyyy low tier unless she's leader and she's not very interesting to play as. Her counter is no good and her uppercut is difficult to place. Without her LDM and/or her hopping B, she wouldn't be worth much.

I use her quite a bit, myself, but she's just not as fun as some of the other characters. I thought "that's okay! She'll be better in the next game!" but now...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Time Mage
2731th Post

"Re(8):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 00:22post reply

quote:
I think you don't see much Elizabeth because she's verrryyyy low tier unless she's leader and she's not very interesting to play as. Her counter is no good and her uppercut is difficult to place. Without her LDM and/or her hopping B, she wouldn't be worth much.

I use her quite a bit, myself, but she's just not as fun as some of the other characters. I thought "that's okay! She'll be better in the next game!" but now...

Yeah, she's not very good. But hey, that usually doesn't stop me from using many characters if I like them anyway. When I use her, though, she's always the leader, because her LDM is really good, probably her best move. Making her the last character with 2 or more stocks available (depending on who I have before, she can have as much as 5) makes her pretty good in the sense that the threat of her LDM is always present, so I can pressure a lot more and my rival will be scared to stick random pokes too often in case they get nailed by the LDM.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Mozex
352th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 01:38post reply

I love playing as Balrog (boxer) in CvS2. Specifically K groove for the tornado punch. Also he never shuts up which is fun.

For similar punchy reasons I also enjoy Maxima in KoF.

And Potemkin in Guilty Gear.

Punching stuff really hard is fun!

Be kind to goblins.

samberto
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 02:08post reply

Being such a KOF fan myself, in 98 I really enjoy using Brian Battler, Leona, Yamazaki and Chan, not your typical fighter but they can get the job done!

Maou
1536th Post

"Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 02:41post reply

Ah, lest I forget: EMPEROR UDAN in Tobal 2. Crucial choice, seldom played (since he is a pain to unlock).

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

kikkoken
1181th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 05:19post reply

I like rare characters. My pick:
KOF: the rarest I like using must be Seth, but I also like May Lee, Shermie & Vice. I can play Bao without nauseating.
CvsSNK: I like Karin (rare?), Maki and Todoh a lot.
SF: I liked DJ's combo with the machine-gun uppercut.

Spoon
1689th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 08:19post reply

quote:

I was going to mention Faust in GG, but honestly... Most GG characters fit the "weird/ugly" profile, and basically no one is underused, so it's a game that you can't really say you pick the weird/underused character.

Over here in BC, sometimes we have Guilty Gear tournaments for which players from Washington and Oregon show up. Out of the 40+ attendees, exactly 1 person ever enters with Faust. I kind of expected to see Potemkin on the rise in GGAC because he's just plain good in that game, as opposed to being the third wheel of many a 3-man team.

Among the serious KOF 2k2 players around here, a lot like to have a slot set for a random character.

I have to agree that Hauzer is one of the best things about CFJ.

I'm tempted to make a thread about "fighting games you love that nobody else seems to".

Toxico
4578th Post

"Re(8):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 08:49:post reply

quote:

I'm tempted to make a thread about "fighting games you love that nobody else seems to".

It's too soon, it's better to wait for this thread to "bossom" more and then once past it's peak do another one, so we get the most of both of them.

For the record, I prefered to play World Heroes or Ryuuko games instead of SF, to many that is enough to become mankind's sworn enemy, I still remember those "Why not better choose Ryu?".

On topic, I l·o·v·e freaks, I always pick weird characters in every game. It actually took me a lot of time to "mature" beyond always picking the freak and selecting people that looked 'normal'. The fact that there are some games with nothing but a bunch of Visual Key chars speeded up the process.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 06/12/08 (54 personajes)

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 7 Dec 10:41]

Zepy
1515th Post

"Re(9):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 11:51post reply

My KOF dream team would be Hinako, Kasumi, and Angel. I also like Chin, Chang, and Choi.

I love that warm fuzzy feeling when the opponent doesn't know how to play against the lesser used characters, because they've never really played against the characters you use.

Also I pick between Gai, Kasumi, Silber, and Adelheid in XI, it's not that easy to beat Kula Oswald Gato teams but it sure feels good!

Spoon
1690th Post

"Re(9):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 11:59post reply

quote:

On topic, I l·o·v·e freaks, I always pick weird characters in every game. It actually took me a lot of time to "mature" beyond always picking the freak and selecting people that looked 'normal'. The fact that there are some games with nothing but a bunch of Visual Key chars speeded up the process.

I hated playing against Chang and Choi so much that even though I believed that their effectiveness against me must mean that they're awesome for killing people who are at a low level of KOF play like me, I still refused to use them. So I guess that even I have my limits when it comes to picking oddball characters.

Did anybody like to use Sentinel back in the day when Children of the Atom was new?

kofoguz
645th Post

"Re(3):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 7 Dec 13:50post reply

Karin is probably my favorite character in anything ever. I couldn't get enough Capcom Fighting Jam simply because she was in it. I would be thrilled beyond imagination if she would somehow worm her way into SF4. I would suddenly become a very enthusiastic supporter of the game if that happened.

Similarly, Tabasa and Kasumi saved SNK vs Capcom for me...and even though I don't like the system in Guilty Gear very much, it has so many characters I love to use that I end up playing it all the time.

I've been hurting on KOF lately, even though KOFXI is probably my all-time favorite fighting game. My favorite characters are Jhun, Athena, May LeeKasumi, Hinako and Shermie...so I'm practically salivating over '02 UM. After that, I don't know if I'll need a new fighting game -ever-. The only character from XI I'll really really miss is Gai.

If I make this post any longer, I don't think anyone will bother reading it, so I'll conclude by saying I really miss Lei Lei and considering how many Capcom characters I love and want to see again, the Tatsunoko vs Capcom cast is a huge disappointment to me.

This is pretty much the same with me.

My friend called me "Master of the weird freak characters." Well to him Jhun is a freak, too.

I remember pissing a lot of "serious" guys by beating (much like owning) with Lei Lei in Pocket fighter, with Tabasa in SvC, with Rimururu in SSV (she's rare here), with Bao and Xiang Fei in 99, with Shermie, Whip, Athena, in 02, with Jhun and Hinako in 03. In 03, they were so pissed offonce I was really scared, they might pick a fight.

Also once I beat a guy who's pretty much good, 13 times with Hinako in 03, I'll never see him come and play again eventhough he was regularly coming.
Some people thinks something wrong with the game when you beat them with a little sumo girl or any other freak guys.

By the way Iori was a rare character back in 95 in my area and I was always picking him. He become popular later.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Time Mage
2732th Post

"Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 00:18post reply

Well, after seeing some of the replies here, I guess I could consider Silber and Kasumi-chan as weird characters I use, too. In KOF XI, one of my favorite teams is the "brute force" team, consisting of Ralf, Silber and Shen Woo. And I also use teams with Kasumi and Malin (is she considered weird?) with maybe Elisabeth or another character in the last spot.

Now that I think of it, I make a lot of themed teams in games with team play, like CvS2 or the KOF series.

Iron D
3090th Post

"Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 02:39post reply

quote:

Did anybody like to use Sentinel back in the day when Children of the Atom was new?

Oh hell yes. Sentinel was fun as hell to use back in the day. I'd love to see some tier lists for this game to see if he was broken or not, because he had a TON of offensive options at his disposal. Yet another reason why MvC2 pissed me off was because a crapload of Sentinel's attacks were just simply taken away, including some normals and command normals.

As for the rest of the topic, there are too many weird/lesser popular characters that I like. I could go on forever. Heck, we haven't even properly determined who would be considered weird or unpopular.

I can say that I'm one of the few that actually likes the SSFII new challengers who AREN'T Cammy.

Saisyu Kusanagi is rarely talked about, and he's one of the few original KoF characters that I REALLY like (and by original KoF character, I mean characters that were first introduced in a non-KoF game).

I'm also a HUGE fan of Birdie as well as Sodom. Love me some 360 grapplers. Throw Raiden and Griffon Mask in there, too.

Gen-an, Nicotine and Earthquake don't get nearly enough love I think.

Yoshimitsu is a pimp, if not a proper ninja. Bruce seems to get no love as a character, Anna is cooler than Nina, Sergei is underappreciated and Kuma and Roger/Roger Jr. kick ass.

Voldo is just...The Man. He IS THE MAN. And you should all be bowing down to him right now.

Love all the freaks and weirdos of both the DS series and the Rival Schools games.

Most of the Fatal Fury cast tend to not get the love they deserve as well, especially Tung Fu Rue, Sokaku, Hon-fu, Cheng, Franco and Bob.

I could go on and on, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some series and/or characters but I think I'll stop for now.

Er.....

Kikkoken
1182th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 03:20post reply

quote:
I also like Chin, Chang, and Choi.

Personally I prefer Ring, Rang, and Rung.
Seriously, I love Kasumi too, but didn't know she was rare / weird / unpopular.

Amakusa
779th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 04:57post reply

Back when SF3 got its second iteration I continuously used Yang and I kept getting asked why I used him over Yun when I was clearly better with Yun. I don't know, really, although I guess mainly because I'm kind of a sucker.

In every KOF game I get my hands on the characters I almost always use include Kasumi whenever available, and the same goes for Whip and Chizuru. There's not a single game with all three characters in it, but what the hey....

In Project Justice I tended to use Edge in every team I used, but what I did usually run with was Edge, Gan, and Akira, just because I could (sometimes I switched Akira for Zaki).

In Samurai Shodown I tend to almost always pick Amakusa whenever available, and Charlotte otherwise.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

kofoguz
646th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 05:26post reply

quote:
I also like Chin, Chang, and Choi.

Personally I prefer Ring, Rang, and Rung.
Seriously, I love Kasumi too, but didn't know she was rare / weird / unpopular.

Well I guess she's not she's getting more love than most of the KoF guys. Hell She should be the most popular AoF character. Other one's who's out from the series are Eiji(kof) and Lee Pai (nbc) and her father (CvS2). She's in '96, '99, '00, XI, SvC, 02UM. The only character out of Kyokugens / King to appear most non-AoF games from the series.

But in my area, she's a rare and weirdo character. No one picks her and my friend actually said "Why do you like to play with her, she's lame"
Like I said before, in my area in '95 it was all about Kyo, Iori was a weirdo. In Sf2 Chun li was rarer than Honda and Blanka. Everybodywas into Ryu and Ken, my passionate hate for Ryu comes from those times. He was lame to me then, he is succesfuly lame now.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Iggy
8756th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 05:42post reply

quote:
Everybodywas into Ryu and Ken, my passionate hate for Ryu comes from those times. He was lame to me then, he is succesfuly lame now.

The first time I got to play SF4, I was with 8 people. 5 out of them chose Ken, the other 3 chose Ryu.
And I thought I was being conservative to choose Dahlsim, Vega, Zangief and Balrog for my first credits.

Toxico
4580th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 05:51:post reply

quote:
~Kasumi~ ....hell She should be the most popular AoF character

She IS one of the most popular characters of the series. That just shows you how badly the series had aged to fans. In their prime time, many saw them as inferior & less popular than other more mainstream series, but the games still got certain amount of sweet love. Now that the time has pased and more series had popped out and became popular to the public, the general opinion of the game is simply lower than before. Heck, if Ryo wasn't in every KoF, people wouldn't even remember the game

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/12/08 (56 personajes)

[this message was edited by Toxico on Mon 8 Dec 05:52]

Spoon
1691th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 07:27post reply

quote:

She IS one of the most popular characters of the series. That just shows you how badly the series had aged to fans. In their prime time, many saw them as inferior & less popular than other more mainstream series, but the games still got certain amount of sweet love. Now that the time has pased and more series had popped out and became popular to the public, the general opinion of the game is simply lower than before. Heck, if Ryo wasn't in every KoF, people wouldn't even remember the game

Until they bring back facial damage, KOFXII will still not have wholly surpassed AOF.

Oh wait, Lud in Rumble Fish 2 had facial damage.
No wonder I like RF2 so much.

Amakusa
780th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 13:10post reply

quote:

But in my area, she's a rare and weirdo character. No one picks her and my friend actually said "Why do you like to play with her, she's lame"

At the local mall arcade I was perhaps the only one that would use someone other than Ken/Ryu/Akuma on SvC Chaos and when I pulled out the super counter there was a big WTF in the room that I thought he was going to clobber me just for doing it.

Oroch
1037th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 8 Dec 13:40post reply

quote:

At the local mall arcade I was perhaps the only one that would use someone other than Ken/Ryu/Akuma on SvC Chaos and when I pulled out the super counter there was a big WTF in the room that I thought he was going to clobber me just for doing it.

i thought i was the only one who would do that ;p

Nate
959th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Rare characters and you" , posted Tue 9 Dec 05:27post reply

Hinako - I actually liked her combo-friendly 2003 version. Are you forgetting about the mixup grab that had four different follow-ups? It was awesome!! Hard to land sometimes, but awesome. I wouldn't mind her being strictly about grappling in the 2002 remake, though. I think she's wonderful but wish SNKP would give me a color palette where she has dark hair already. 1/4 RUSSIAN, 3/4 JAPANESE GIRLS ARE NOT BLOND.

Kasumi Todo - Basically what everyone else has said. She's really fun to play as and devastating people with the counter super is the best part. She keeps getting useful additions in every appearance she makes, too. SNKP likes making her better...when they decide to put her in. I don't she's a "weird" character necessarily...just an underused/underappreciated one.

Malin - I think she's weird mainly because between two games she had what amounted to a complete redesign. In 2003 she was all about annoying the shit out of people with air attacks and almost never bothering with attacking from the ground except to set up yo-yos. In XI, both her flying Choi-style attacks and yo-yos were made basically worthless unless you had a huge window to set them up, but she gained decent ground options. Both her and were taken from basically useless to a vital part of her fighting style. Though I don't really like her voice or looks all the time, I hope they keep putting her in games to see what new weird shit they come up with for her.

Any female grappler, basically. Especially Shermie.

Hugo is the only non-SNK grappler I really like to play as. I can even land Gigas Breaker reasonably often! That's how much I like him, I committed myself to being able to do a motion I hate.

Q is fun to mess around as if only because all his attacks actually feel like they have a lot of impact behind him. Much credit to the animation team for him alone.

A LOT of characters from Power Instinct/Gohketsuji Ichizoku. Just because they're so damn weird in both design and movelists. I especially love Groove on Fight for both these reasons.

Rainbow Mika and Karin. I agree with previous sentiments that Karin is like an SNK character done better than SNK. Rainbow Mika is one of my favorites purely for her bizarre assortment of attacks. Especially her crouching tackle. Countering with that and smacking someone with it again on the way down, specifically.

The only 3d game where I have a character like this is probably Soul Calibur. I love Tira. They made her far less crappy in SC4 but it was fun trying to figure out which of her moves had the least amount of flailing and prancing to be useful in SC3.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Pollyanna
2605th Post

"Re(2):Rare characters and you" , posted Tue 9 Dec 08:19post reply

Ah! I totally forgot about 3D fighters!

I'm usually wildly enthusiastic about one character and one character only. I loooooove Tira in Soul Calibur 4. She didn't catch my interest in 3, but her redesign, along with my ability to tweak it in the character edit mode made me really love her. Needing to tap forward five times to get the most out of some of her moves is annoying, but the result is so gratifying. Cassandra gets the "honorable mention award", but she's not quite crazy enough to keep up.

Other 3D favorites include Lili and Lee from Tekken (although I don't like USING Lee), Aoi from VF (who is subtly crazy) and to a lesser extent, Hitomi and Lei Fang from DoA. Lei Fang isn't that cool, but I'm crazy about her fighting style.

Zepy:

You're almost my worst enemy! Adelheid and Silber still give me trouble (along with Clark)...and Gato of course, though Kula and Oswald don't bother me anymore.

Silber is always 50/50...sometimes I wipe him out and sometimes he wipes out my entire team. He just does SO much damage and he's a goddamn wall. Would you mind giving me a sort of semi-analysis of his strengths and weaknesses, so maybe I could learn a better way of dealing with him? Like, give me a rundown of your strategy and what people do to counter it?

Adelheid, I just don't have enough experience with, I think. I only end up fighting him as leader and it's usually just the B Genocide Cutter that undoes me.

Kofoguz:

Athena is a nice "safe" character to like, since she pops up so often. Kyo is my "safe" character. He's not my favorite, but I like the way he plays (new-style, at least). So I can say "at least I can always use Kyo". I would be that way with Kim, but since Jhun came along, I don't think "At least I can use Kim," I think "I wish they had Jhun instead."

Nate:

I love using Malin, but I hate her design so much that I rarely use her. Her sprite looks kind of..."cheap" too.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Toxico
4581th Post

"Re(3):Rare characters and you" , posted Tue 9 Dec 09:06post reply

quote:
~Hinako~ ... I think she's wonderful but wish SNKP would give me a color palette where she has dark hair already. 1/4 RUSSIAN, 3/4 JAPANESE GIRLS ARE NOT BLOND.

Color edit is already confirmed (I'm looking foward to use the good, old school 'pink navy man' Maxima custom color palette )

quote:

Ah! I totally forgot about 3D fighters!

...Other 3D favorites include Lili and Lee from Tekken (although I don't like USING Lee)

Since their introduction, I have been using Lee, Jack, Marduk & Asuka. Of course, from that Lot only the Play mobile and the vale tudo are "weird". I used a lot the tin can in Tekken 1, even though he was ugly as hell, looked like a badly assambled lego toy and was the game cheapest character by far.

quote:

Adelheid, I just don't have enough experience with, I think. I only end up fighting him as leader and it's usually just the B Genocide Cutter that undoes me.

He is strong~resourcefull fighting at close, with good pokes and good preemptive moves; but he takes damage like a little Heidi girl.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 07/12/08 (56 personajes)

Iron D
3091th Post

"Re(4):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 10 Dec 00:07post reply

I'm going to include the entirety of the Plasma Sword/Star Gladiator cast. The game is mentioned so little that every character should count as being rare (and most are definitely weird except maybe Hayato and June). I'm not really a big fan of all the clones that were added to Plasma Sword (especially since in almost every case the original is a cooler design....Zelkin is sooooo much cooler than the lame Eagle). Oh, and Gore's created girlfriend was freakin' hot.

I'll throw in all of the main characters from Warzard/Red Earth as well. I have limited experience with them (with CFJ and Youtube videos being the most exposure I've had to the series) but these characters are all appealing right off the bat.

I'll also add in Jhun, another of the few original KoF creations that I actually like.

Eagle and Maki don't get a lot of love, and I love using them a lot. I'd like to see a return of Geki and Retsu.

Er.....

Nate
960th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 10 Dec 03:12post reply

I forgot about:

Assquake/Earthquake - he's gross, he's huge, he's so fun to play as

Nagare (rival schools/justice gakuen) - hilarious idea executed extremely well

Yurika (see above) - that HAIR!!!! she's wonderful.

Cheng Sinzan - I've always liked the whole green energy ball thing. he'll never be in a kof but it'd be funny if they ever did.

Carol (savage reign/fuu'un mokushiroku) - I actually hate this game with all my being but a rhythmic gymnastics fighter i can get behind. ridiculous! i'd love to see her animated with a less hideous sprite.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

kofoguz
647th Post

"Re(6):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 10 Dec 08:18post reply

quote:
Nagare (rival schools/justice gakuen) - hilarious idea executed extremely well

Yurika (see above) - that HAIR!!!! she's wonderful.

If you mean the swimmer guy yeah I'm with you, he wasnt popular but he was a brilliant idea. Not to mention he was hot.
Also Yurika is one of my favourite( the girl who play violin, right?).
I also like the reporter girl. Dont know she's popular or not.

I also like to play with Chair Person, Hayato and Zaki.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Gojira
2494th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 10 Dec 09:20:post reply

If it's rare characters, my passion for Griffin is well-documented and I still feel he's pretty underappreciated, especially in his own game. But he's still the best damn pure grappler SNK has ever designed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also like playing Hibiki. When Professor posted some of the stuff about her personality change here so long ago she became my second favorite character. Now that I think about it that may have been the birth of yandere. :P

quote:

Yeah, Kasumi is far from unpopular. Her popularity is the only reason she keeps coming back and the only reason her movelist was upgraded from pathetic to viable over the course of a decade.

If we ever saw Mickey or John or Lenny outside of AoF, that would be a true rarity. Not that I ever used any of them.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 10 Dec 09:31]

karasu99
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 10 Dec 09:31post reply

quote:
Eagle and Maki don't get a lot of love, and I love using them a lot. I'd like to see a return of Geki and Retsu.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Joe or Lee. I always kind of assumed that boxer Balrog was sort of a redone Mike. It's not that I'm one of those guys who is hung up on the triumphant return of Obscure Competitor X or Y, I just really enjoyed what Capcom did with the returners from SF1 in later games, so I keep hoping they'll bother to redo those guys too.

For instance, Eagle is a real favorite of mine, and probably the only reason I ever bought (or even played, for that matter) SFZ3 on the PSP.

Gojira
2494th Post

"Re(6):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 10 Dec 09:39post reply

quote:
I wouldn't even mind seeing Joe or Lee. I always kind of assumed that boxer Balrog was sort of a redone Mike. It's not that I'm one of those guys who is hung up on the triumphant return of Obscure Competitor X or Y, I just really enjoyed what Capcom did with the returners from SF1 in later games, so I keep hoping they'll bother to redo those guys too.

Actually there's been some speculation that Cody was originally going to be Joe. If you look at some of his moves you'll notice a few similarities. Plus Cody doesn't much resemble his FF persona like Guy does, which hints that maybe his design started life as someone else's.

shipoopi

karasu99
20th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 10 Dec 10:04post reply

quote:
Actually there's been some speculation that Cody was originally going to be Joe. If you look at some of his moves you'll notice a few similarities. Plus Cody doesn't much resemble his FF persona like Guy does, which hints that maybe his design started life as someone else's.

That's really interesting! I guess not that surprising, given the weirdness of Cody's design. I guess the decision to make the change might have had to do with some cross marketing? But of course now that you mention it I will need to dig out both games to compare.

I can see why that sort of move might be taken though-- Joe (along with Mike and Lee, really) are almost painfully generic, and I expect that's what's kept them out of subsequent games. The individuals who made it into the Zero games are almost all interesting in one way or another. Geki being the anomaly of course, in that he's almost universally interesting but never made it into another game. I kept expecting Retsu to show up in Zero 3 given that he was in Dan's art for Zero 2.

But I'm drifting off topic. Maybe this should be it's own thread.

So here, let's get back on topic-- by mentioning that I always kindof liked Cody as a rare character. My friends and I-- back in the days when we actually played SFZ3-- almost never used him, but over the years I've come to appreciate the weirdness of his design and (especially V-ism) gameplay. I mean really. A striped uniform for a convict? Come on. It's very 19th century. But still, I like the knife pickup and the rock throwing.

Zepy
1516th Post

"Re(3):Rare characters and you" , posted Thu 11 Dec 00:34post reply

quote:
Silber is always 50/50...sometimes I wipe him out and sometimes he wipes out my entire team. He just does SO much damage and he's a goddamn wall. Would you mind giving me a sort of semi-analysis of his strengths and weaknesses, so maybe I could learn a better way of dealing with him? Like, give me a rundown of your strategy and what people do to counter it?

It has been a while since I last played XI in the arcades so I'm kinda speaking from old memory now!

Personally I usually have a lot of trouble dealing with fast attacks, because all his attacks including his special moves come out very slowly, and guys that keep doing moves that recover quickly are always able to block anything I can do (aside from the counter).

Also grapplers. If the guy doesn't even jump or roll there isn't much chance to get a good hit in with how slow Silber is. It's possible, but it's just harder.

Maese Spt
453th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Rare characters and you" , posted Thu 11 Dec 13:50post reply

I love this thread, but unfortunately I was never very fond of bizarre/ugly/obscure characters, so I didn't dare to participate. Then I remembered that the very first character I played on the days of good ol' Street Fighter II was E. Honda.

I became quite an expert on him, even beating the game several times on the arcades. Being a 12 years old who had seldom touched a videogame before, that was quite a feat, mind you. I didn't even consider playing with other characters until Champion Edition came out. Ironically, by the time SF Zero 3 came out, bringing Honda back to the stage og history, my likings had already evolved in a way that I could not stand the fat guy's style anymore, hahaha.

I wonder how many Honda players are out there...?

Oh, I also LOVE playing Taki in Soul Edge/Calibur series, but I dunno if she counts as an obscure character... at least I don't know of any other (devoted) player of her.

Amakusa
781th Post

"Re(5):Rare characters and you" , posted Fri 12 Dec 01:09post reply

quote:
I'm going to include the entirety of the Plasma Sword/Star Gladiator cast. The game is mentioned so little that every character should count as being rare (and most are definitely weird except maybe Hayato and June). I'm not really a big fan of all the clones that were added to Plasma Sword (especially since in almost every case the original is a cooler design....Zelkin is sooooo much cooler than the lame Eagle). Oh, and Gore's created girlfriend was freakin' hot.

Plasma Sword used to see a lot of action at the arcade I used to go to years ago; it was something of an anomaly. It was at the point where really NO character was rare as everyone there actually used a different character every time just because they all were pretty goofy-looking.

I did my best game with Rai-On, Rain, Kaede, and Zelkin, with Zelkin being my favorite style. He's extremely fun to use and it was interesting experimenting how to incorporate his dive grab into a combo (which pretty much reduced the lag of using it by itself which left you incredibly open when you missed).

Iron D
3095th Post

"Re(6):Rare characters and you" , posted Fri 12 Dec 02:58post reply

quote:

Plasma Sword used to see a lot of action at the arcade I used to go to years ago; it was something of an anomaly. It was at the point where really NO character was rare as everyone there actually used a different character every time just because they all were pretty goofy-looking.

I did my best game with Rai-On, Rain, Kaede, and Zelkin, with Zelkin being my favorite style. He's extremely fun to use and it was interesting experimenting how to incorporate his dive grab into a combo (which pretty much reduced the lag of using it by itself which left you incredibly open when you missed).

Yeah, there's pretty much no character I don't use (though again, I do use the original characters more than their clones in most cases) but there are those that I use more than others. Blood, Rain, Rai-on and Black Hayato. Also Gamof, because he's as much of a grappler character as this game has got. Gore is also fun as hell simply for being able to grow large and stomp the hell out of the opponent. That never gets old.

I was never too good with Saturn, though. I tend to have more trouble against the computer with him than any other character.

Er.....

Ishmael
3352th Post

"Re(7):Rare characters and you" , posted Sun 14 Dec 05:53post reply

As far as popular games go I'm a big fan of Anakaris. But since about a third of the world's Anakaris players are on this board he hardly feels rare.

As far as unpopular games go, there are two characters that spring to mind. The first is Chae Lim from KoF:MI. Heaven knows that SNK has plenty of TKD users already and the MI series is never going to be loved by many so Chae Lim has a lot going against her. But even with that I like her stupid Falcoon hair, her button mashing combos, how she started life as a Midnight Bliss-ed Kim... When written out that seems like a case against Chae Lim but for whatever dumb reason I dig her.

For the second title, Dead Dance is not a good game. The US port of it that became Tuff E Nuff [or "Hey Punk! Are you Tuff E Nuff?" if you want to get technical about the title] didn't do the game any favors. But even with all that I liked Zazi. I don't know how, but I keep hoping the guy will somehow sneak back into a new fighting game.

Maese Spt
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Rare characters and you" , posted Mon 15 Dec 12:04post reply

quote:
(...)about a third of the world's Anakaris players are on this board he hardly feels rare.

TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN

Shin ATproof
1226th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(9):Rare characters and you" , posted Tue 16 Dec 15:37post reply

SNKP needs to put Rick, Alfred, Bob and Hong Fu into more games as playable characters.

Honestly...WTF SNKP!?
These were fun and interesting characters. They totally deserve to be in more games...especially Rick and Alfred. Sorry but Vanessa doesn't count and every fighting game should have a pilot/ninja.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Iron D
3099th Post

"Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Tue 16 Dec 19:10post reply

quote:
SNKP needs to put Rick, Alfred, Bob and Hong Fu into more games as playable characters.

Honestly...WTF SNKP!?
These were fun and interesting characters. They totally deserve to be in more games...especially Rick and Alfred. Sorry but Vanessa doesn't count and every fighting game should have a pilot/ninja.

What about Sokaku?

Er.....

karasu99
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 17 Dec 08:21post reply

quote:
What about Sokaku?

Especially RBS Sokaku. He's incredibly interesting and weird.

I can't say I agree about some other the Real Bout competitors. Bob, for instance, always seemed remarkably bland to me, for some reason. Which is odd, since I had always wanted to play as Richard Meyer.

Alfred is fun because he's such a gimmick.

Now Laurence, on the other hand, is a characters I enjoyed playing in Garou Special, but who I didn't really like much when he was reintroduced in RBS.

OH! I have a great example of a rare character-- also from Garou, naturally-- that's where all of mine seem to have come from: Axel Hawk! I could absolutely decimate other players with him, years ago, but I can't remember anyone else ever using him. Not even once!

Iron D
3100th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Rare characters and you" , posted Wed 17 Dec 10:22post reply

quote:

OH! I have a great example of a rare character-- also from Garou, naturally-- that's where all of mine seem to have come from: Axel Hawk! I could absolutely decimate other players with him, years ago, but I can't remember anyone else ever using him. Not even once!

Well...I'll give him points for the old, bald guy with a gut look. He's the closest thing to having King Hippo in a fighting game. Plus, his theme from FF2 seems to still get stuck in my head every now and then.

Er.....