Twilight Princess - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2187 Views )

ONSLAUGHT
3760th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 07:19post reply

Yes, I know I'm way behind you guys, but I just played Wii Zelda that a friend of mine gave it to me since it came out.
Keep in mind that this is my first 3D Zelda and that I just played it for 30 minutes.

Ok guys, is there a reason to keep playing this game?? I haven't encountered anything I like in it. So far I've just herded goats, called a hawk that takes like 10 minutes to come (damn, takes as much time as a summon) and cannot fetch a goddamn cat! and talked with people about epic themes like monkeys and craddles.

The controls are absolutely horrible! I was trying to jump and the stupid kid just won't land where I want it to.
Riding the horse is a pain in the ass, I can't believe how stiff the horse is. After playing Shadow of the Colossus I was expecting my videogame horses to be as smooth as Agro, but sadly, they're not.

The sound is OK I guess, except the sounds that come from the tiny speaker in the wiimote, it sounds so horrible! Reminds me of Teleroboxer, a Virtual Boy game.

Graphics are... fucking UGLY! Shadow of the Colossus, a game from an inferior console looks at least 10 times better than this!
The game looks so blurry, so dark, there are no vibrant colors, the screen looks so stretched... ugly I tell you! Perhaps the problem is my TV, but somehow, I doubt it, since EVERYTHING else looks fine on it.

Anyway, I ask you again, is there any reason to keep playing this game? does it get better or am I going to hate it even more? I honestly want to like it, but so far, the game refuses to cooperate...

Replies:

Iggy
8730th Post

"Re(1):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 07:41post reply

Everything you say remind me of my own experience with Zelda 64, and my resolution never to play a Zelda game after that.

sfried
287th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 08:49:post reply

I don't know if you're just trolling or whatnot, with the complaints about controls. Twilight Princess is one of the more vibrant looking games.
I'd say this game pics up later on after you leave the town) and really hits its peak at the Sky Temple.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 22 Nov 08:56]

Time Mage
2719th Post

"Re(1):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 09:52post reply

Eh, you're playing the inferior 3D Zelda, in my opinion. Ocarina was really innovative at the time, plus the dungeons and the whole game were really well thought. Wind Waker was extremely charming and had the best world of the three, in terms of people and places. Having everything happen in that vast sea was unfortunate. Plus, it had the best graphics of the three, in my opinion.

And then there's Twilight Princess that, while not being a bad game at all, tries too hard to appeal to the Ocarina fans, so much that at many times it looks like a remake. Plus, the dark tones don't fit very well on the Zelda franchise. It is a very solid game, but lacks charm and originality. And yes, the beginning is really slow.

Now that I think of it, I almost forget about Majora's Mask. This one was really good, too, although the dungeons were too long and there was very few of them... Not a good combination. Still, very original and worth playing.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

sfried
287th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 09:58post reply

I actually prefer Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time, actually. OoT was really, really easy. Majora had moments wich blew my mind.

But yeah, as a Zelda game, I feel Twilight Princess was a rather so-so, if rather wholistically complete, 3D Zelda experience.

Pollyanna
2588th Post

"Re(1):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 10:10post reply

quote:

Graphics are... fucking UGLY! Shadow of the Colossus, a game from an inferior console looks at least 10 times better than this!
The game looks so blurry, so dark, there are no vibrant colors, the screen looks so stretched... ugly I tell you! Perhaps the problem is my TV, but somehow, I doubt it, since EVERYTHING else looks fine on it.

Do you have an HD TV? Like, not a tube one that downscales?

Ever since I got a nice HD TV, everything on Wii has looked absolutely atrocious. When I have some more disposable income I'll have to get a dinterlacer.

I had to stop playing Mario Galaxy, even though I loved it, because it was too hideous.

Speaking of which, I liked Zelda okay, but I think Mario Galaxy did everything better. The puzzles were reasonably clever in Zelda, but Mario Galaxy had the same "take cues from your environment and figure things out" system with much richer environments and interesting enemies. The enemies in Zelda are poorly designed, poorly rendered and absolutely no threat at all. I guess they just put them there to prevent you from being completely bored.

I guess it seems odd me saying that Mario and Zelda are kind of the same, but they both gave me the same experience. If you keep playing Zelda, you might get some enjoyment out of the dungeons, but if you finish the first dungeon and still don't like it at all, I wouldn't hold out for it getting better.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 10:24post reply

quote:
Do you have an HD TV? Like, not a tube one that downscales?

Ever since I got a nice HD TV, everything on Wii has looked absolutely atrocious. When I have some more disposable income I'll have to get a dinterlacer.
You wouldn't happen to have the special component cables (the ones not included in the system) hooked up, would you? If you did, you might have forgotten to put the display to Progressive Scan in the Wii System Settings.

Either that, or that's some really terrible scaling issues you have there.

Shin ATproof
1222th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 10:29post reply

I thought ZeldaTP was really, really good. Its actually part of my top 5 favorites in the franchise (ALttP, OoT, TP, WW and MC).

I have the GC version since I don't own a Wii but I've seen/played the Wii version and my friend who has an HDTV, the game still looks good. I think saying SotC looks better than ZeldaTP is a gross exaggeration. Although...there clearly is some inspiration with the level design.

As for the beginning of the game, yes, it gets better. Like many of the Zelda games, the game is trying to get you used to the system and controls. This is especially important for people starting on the Wii controls. For GC players, its probably more...irksome(?) since if you've played a 3D Zelda game before, you already know the drill.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

ONSLAUGHT
3761th Post

"Re(3):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 10:54post reply

Thanks for your input everyone.
Yeah, I have an HD TV, and my PS3 and 360 games look absolutely gorgeous (even that Assassin's Creed piece of shit) in it, the Wii however, looks horrible... I'll try to mess with the settings to see if anything improves, but so far, the Zelda world looks grim, bland, colorless, uninteresting even... And I've played PS2 games on the very same TV, and they look great (and yeah, SotC looks a LOT better), why can't the Wii do the same?

I will give it another chance, and finish the first dungeon as suggested.

Oh yeah, the camera sucks.

sfried
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 10:56:post reply

quote:
Thanks for your input everyone.
Yeah, I have an HD TV, and my PS3 and 360 games look absolutely gorgeous (even that Assassin's Creed piece of shit) in it, the Wii however, looks horrible... I'll try to mess with the settings to see if anything improves, but so far, the Zelda world looks grim, bland, colorless, uninteresting even...
If your game is looking more like the image on the right, then you NEED those component cables badly.
quote:
And I've played PS2 games on the very same TV, and they look great (and yeah, SotC looks a LOT better), why can't the Wii do the same?
I still don't know if you're just trolling...

More Component vs. out-of-the-box composite comparisons.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 22 Nov 11:02]

Iron D
3069th Post

"Re(5):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 11:21post reply

I think your problem, Onslaught, is that you were on the verge of condemning an entire game that his hours long off of what is in reality a training session. That would be like calling MGS a complete piece of crap just because you didn't like the VR missions. It is a good thing that you thought to ask around here first before completely giving up on it.

I just don't get the rest of the cynicism here, though. I could see some people thinking that other Zeldas were better (I still have a soft spot for OoT and LttP myself) but this game is FAR from being outright bad. It's enjoyable as heck, has some great use of the Wii controls (which is a rare thing with Wii games) and...well I just don't know what is up with the complaints with the graphics, but only having played the game on my friends HDtv I guess I couldn't compare how I saw the game to how y'all did.

Er.....

Grave
1143th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 11:32post reply

Even with the proper cables, Wii games still look like garbage on HDTVs. It's just the way it is. I'd rather play garbage-looking Excite Truck over Motorstorm any day, though.

That said, all the 3D Zeldas have stupid overly long introductory scenes, so that's nothing new! As far as this shit goes, Twilight Princess is pretty decent. Not as good as Wind Waker. That said, it still seems to take itself way too seriously and pretends at having a good story for a number more hours than I was willing to go along with, and I was forced to quit. But it's not nearly as bad as Ocarina of Time, and that's something! This series is way past due for another reinvention, though, considering the best game in the series is over 15 years old now. It probably won't get one because retards keep drooling all over the 3D Zeldas as it is.

sfried
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 11:44post reply

Why is it people keep refering back to Ocarina of Time? OoT felt...sparse, unlike Majora's Mask, which was just briming with life, and not to mention the challenges in MM were better than Ocarina's.

I just never got what people had over the Water Temple. To me, it was just like any other regular level.

Grave
1144th Post

"Re(8):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 11:58post reply

MM is an infinitely more interesting game, but it's still held back by the same shitty, ugly engine and terrible gameplay. OoT always gets mentioned because an extremely loud faction of numbskulls still claim it to be "the best game ever." It was never even acceptable back then, and anyone who insists it holds up today is severely brain damaged.

Probably the same apes who continue to play Goldeneye. I don't understand some people.

sfried
292th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:03post reply

quote:
MM is an infinitely more interesting game, but it's still held back by the same shitty, ugly engine and terrible gameplay. OoT always gets mentioned because an extremely loud faction of numbskulls still claim it to be "the best game ever." It was never even acceptable back then, and anyone who insists it holds up today is severely brain damaged.

Probably the same apes who continue to play Goldeneye. I don't understand some people.

Hey, I liked Goldeneye's singleplayer. It had varied missions, and deeper ones for increased difficulty.

And MM definitely had BETTER gameplay than OoT, IMO. More focused, side-quests rewarded you much more than just hearts, and the bosses were definitely to be reckoned with.

Grave
1145th Post

"Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:10post reply

I meant it on a more basic level. The things you do may be more interesting, but they're still clunky and hard to execute.

ONSLAUGHT
3763th Post

"Re(9):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:15:post reply

Thanks again guys.
And no sfried, I'm not trolling.

Well, I tried to like this, but I guess it's not my type of game. I just rescued some monkey with a kid in a cage and while the gameplay seems to improve a little, I just don't like the combat system and entering menus for a lantern, then for a slinkshot and so on.
What's really stopping me though, are the graphics, they literally hurt my eyes. I rather have pixelated but crisp graphics than this dulled enviroment that looks like it was covered in molasses. Everything is blurry, and no, I'm not buying cables for this.

Now I am afraid, because I also have The Umbrella Chronicles and No More Heroes, but if they also look like this, I won't even take them out of their package.

Thank you Nintendo!

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Sat 22 Nov 12:16]

sfried
294th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:16:post reply

quote:
I meant it on a more basic level. The things you do may be more interesting, but they're still clunky and hard to execute.

I still don't see what you mean.
quote:
Thanks again guys.
And no sfried, I'm not trolling...
Now I am afraid, because I also have The Umbrella Chronicles and No More Heroes, but if they also look like this, I won't even take them out of their package.

Thank you Nintendo!

I still think you didn't set up your system properly, because if the games does look like molasses, then your TV must be bad at scaling interlaced signals.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 22 Nov 12:19]

Pollyanna
2590th Post

"Re(3):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:19:post reply

EDIT: Yes, No More Heroes looks terrible as well. Very "muddy". Not AS bad, but not how it's supposed to look.

quote:

You wouldn't happen to have the special component cables (the ones not included in the system) hooked up, would you? If you did, you might have forgotten to put the display to Progressive Scan in the Wii System Settings.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending, but yeah...it'd be kinda crazy to have an HDTV and use composite cables (instead of component or HDMI). It's crazy that they still package TVs with those.

That being said, I used to have an HD tube TV that would downscale properly and the Wii (with component cables) looked excellent. Well, I mean...the games looked like they were supposed to. However, with my new TV, as well as most HDTVs, they look rotten.

While I'm sure some HDTVs deinterlace better than others, many of the people who say "the Wii looks great on MY HDTV" are probably just ignorant.

For those of you looking for a cheap (if imperfect) solution to the problem, I have heard good things about this:
http://www.hdboxpro.com/eng/public.htm

As for the PS2 looking better...it depends on the game. I recently played Persona 4 and it looked fine, but I can't say the same for every game. Even Wii games differ. From my experience, Nintendo's games seem to look the worst.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sat 22 Nov 12:21]

sfried
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:22:post reply

quote:
That being said, I used to have an HD tube TV that would downscale properly and the Wii (with component cables) looked excellent. Well, I mean...the games looked like they were supposed to. However, with my new TV, as well as most HDTVs, they look rotten.

While I'm sure some HDTVs deinterlace better than others, many of the people who say "the Wii looks great on MY HDTV" are probably just ignorant.

It's not the deinterlacing that's the issue, it's people are ignorant of the fact that there is a progressive scan option on the Wii that has to be activated via system option screen. Upgrading the cables alone does not automatically upgrade the feed. (Same thing with the GameCube and needing to hold the B button during bootup for 480p.)

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 22 Nov 12:27]

Grave
1147th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:23:post reply

quote:

The control is lousy. Jumping is frustrating. Combat sucks. I don't even want to talk about that stupid horse and the arrows.

edit: And 480p looks a good deal better... but still lousy on my monitor. While I still had a 14" CRT as my only display, I felt quite good about Nintendo's decision this generation!

I don't anymore. I also feel considerably worse about buying an early PS3 with backwards compatibility because of the severe upscaling lag also. Long story short: FUCK YOU SD. FUCK YOU HD. FUCK YOU NINTENDO. FUCK YOU SONY. FUCK YOU 3D ZELDA. FUCK.

[this message was edited by Grave on Sat 22 Nov 12:27]

sfried
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:25:post reply

quote:

The control is lousy. Jumping is frustrating. Combat sucks. I don't even want to talk about that stupid horse and the arrows.

You do know Zelda never traditionally had any jumping? The combat was definitely better than OoTs, and I still don't see what's the problem with the horse and arrows.

quote:
rant

I agree. That's why I love handhelds.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 22 Nov 12:30]

Grave
1148th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:29:post reply

Sigh. Enough of this. If there's no concern for jumping, then maybe all the areas should be flat plains with no height differences, and there shouldn't be any places where you can fall. Ever. Unfortunately, that's not the case!

Even Link's Awakening had the good sense to allow for free jumping when it was necessary! Yet none of the 3D ones do. This is a problem.

quote:
I agree. That's why I love handhelds.

Now you're talking. I know people whine about low quality graphics and small screens, but hey! We're all enjoying the same low quality graphics on (very similar if not) the same screens! And really, the fact that a 3D remake of a 17 year old RPG is my favorite game in years, well...

well...

I guess that explains why I do so much reading these days.

[this message was edited by Grave on Sat 22 Nov 12:34]

sfried
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:32post reply

quote:
Even Link's Awakening had the good sense to allow for free jumping when it was necessary! Yet none of the 3D ones do. This is a problem.

What about 2.5D?

Pollyanna
2590th Post

"Re(5):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:40post reply

quote:

It's not the deinterlacing that's the issue, it's people are ignorant of the fact that there is a progressive scan option on the Wii that has to be activated via system option screen. Upgrading the cables alone does not automatically upgrade the feed. (Same thing with the GameCube and needing to hold the B button during bootup for 480p.)

Before I say anything I'm going to make sure we're on the same page. You're referring to the option to put the Wii in "480p mode" "for HDTVs" I believe it says?

If that's the case, this is an issue of "improving the problem" vs "eliminating the problem". I would agree that this improves the problem, but for most HDTV owners it certainly does not eliminate it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:44post reply

quote:
Before I say anything I'm going to make sure we're on the same page. You're referring to the option to put the Wii in "480p mode" "for HDTVs" I believe it says?

If that's the case, this is an issue of "improving the problem" vs "eliminating the problem". I would agree that this improves the problem, but for most HDTV owners it certainly does not eliminate it.

I don't quite get what you're saying. Basically, what I'm saying is 480p >>> 480i for HDTVs. Most of the time it is not the scaling which is the source of the issue, but the deinterlacing (as you've said).

Grave
1148th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 12:48post reply

quote:
What about 2.5D?

Top-down or side view? Or... isometric?!

That settles it. The next Zelda should be Landstalker. That is how I feel.

Burning Ranger
1582th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(8):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 15:03post reply

I too was a little bit disappointed when I played Twilight Princess. I thought it was better than Wind Waker but didn't measure up to Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which I think is, IMHO, the pinnacle of the Zelda series (behind Link to the Past).

I've been trying for the past few years to spend my Christmas Holiday playing through Ocarina of Time as a tradition, but for some reason I've stopped...

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Mozex
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 15:16:post reply

quote:

Even with 480P mode you're still relying heavily on the TV to upscale that again to 720P or 1080P, neither of which is a whole multiple so there is going to be LOTS of interpolation. Add to that an analog component signal and you're generally not looking at a good picture on the output.

Anyhow you've already covered all that.

Nintendo's lack of propper HD support makes me sad.:2ch_shikushiku:

Be kind to goblins.

[this message was edited by Mozex on Sat 22 Nov 15:19]

Iggy
8731th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Twilight Princess" , posted Sat 22 Nov 21:13post reply

quote:

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
It's good to know you're not alone.

Tai-Pan
314th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Twilight Princess" , posted Sun 23 Nov 01:39post reply

quote:
Yes, I know I'm way behind you guys, but I just played Wii Zelda that a friend of mine gave it to me since it came out.
Keep in mind that this is my first 3D Zelda and that I just played it for 30 minutes.

Ok guys, is there a reason to keep playing this game?? I haven't encountered anything I like in it. So far I've just herded goats, called a hawk that takes like 10 minutes to come (damn, takes as much time as a summon) and cannot fetch a goddamn cat! and talked with people about epic themes like monkeys and craddles.

The controls are absolutely horrible! I was trying to jump and the stupid kid just won't land where I want it to.
Riding the horse is a pain in the ass, I can't believe how stiff the horse is. After playing Shadow of the Colossus I was expecting my videogame horses to be as smooth as Agro, but sadly, they're not.

The sound is OK I guess, except the sounds that come from the tiny speaker in the wiimote, it sounds so horrible! Reminds me of Teleroboxer, a Virtual Boy game.

Anyway, I ask you again, is there any reason to keep playing this game? does it get better or am I going to hate it even more? I honestly want to like it, but so far, the game refuses to cooperate...

WAH WAH WEE WAH!!!!!!!!!!

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

ONSLAUGHT
3763th Post

"Re(2):Twilight Princess" , posted Sun 23 Nov 01:53post reply

quote:

WAH WAH WEE WAH!!!!!!!!!!

Borat?

Spoon
1680th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Twilight Princess" , posted Sun 23 Nov 03:05post reply

quote:

The issues with playing games made for SDTV on HDTV have really dampened my desire to get an HDTV. It feels kind of weird to spend money on new technology only to get an inferior experience. I'm going to have to keep my SDTV for Wii and PS2.

On the other hand, there's way too much text in Dead Space that really strains your eyes to read on an SDTV.

Tai-Pan
315th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Twilight Princess" , posted Sun 23 Nov 05:18post reply

quote:

The issues with playing games made for SDTV on HDTV have really dampened my desire to get an HDTV. It feels kind of weird to spend money on new technology only to get an inferior experience. I'm going to have to keep my SDTV for Wii and PS2.

On the other hand, there's way too much text in Dead Space that really strains your eyes to read on an SDTV.

Get a HDTV to play 360 or PS3 games. And use a SDTV for older games. Thats how it is. But..are we saying that the 3D Zelda games suck on the gameplay department? How many obscure japanese games with horrible gameplay and graphics we adore?

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maese Spt
451th Post

Gold Customer

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF..." , posted Sun 23 Nov 18:48post reply

Lately it seems I have a lot more in common with Onsy than I thought. Whether that is a good thing or not, I will leave it to the reader's imagination. If there is actually someone who reads these lines, I mean.

Cointidentally enough, I came to play TP for the first (and last) time only a few months ago, this summer. After waiting for it about two years, I borrowed it from a friend and I could at last give it a try.

Be warned that I am a HUGE Zelda fan. I consider A link to the Past as he best videogame ever created. I've played and loved all the games on the series so far (the ones made by Nintendo, at least). Count me as one of those brainless morons who love OoT too, as one poster pointed out earlier.

I was eager to play and love this TP, even realizing that it was little more than a remake of OoT with better graphics.

But no mater how I tried, I could not manage to extract a single little piece of entetraining from it. It was like being addicted to heroine. I kept playing not because I was having any real fun, but only because I thought I must to.

I began to think that I just didn't like videogames anymore. I mean, how comes *I* can not enjoy a Zelda? But it seems I was not the only one.

I cleared one zone and I couldn't help but thinking "man, how boring", but then just kept going for the next challenge with the vain hope of things getting better. But they didn't. I beat more than 3/4 of the game before realizing the futility of my pursuit. I finally snapped and quit. Good for me.

I knew I was doomed when I realized that I was having more fun by teasing the girl of the fishing shop than playing the fishing minigame itself. In fact, that was the only funny thing I found during my whole play time.

TP is way worse than OoT and MM, by the way, conceptually similar games which were released almost 10 years ago. You are VERY limited on the actions you can perform. You can't jump off wherever you want, you can't climb when you feel like it, you can not even travel the land at ease. And let's not talk about those HORRIBLE seed collecting missions early on in the game. Oh, the pain.

One can argue how other Zeldas used to have something innovative, unique on them. But everything TP tries to do has already been done, far better and in a more funnier way, in the past.

Every inch of Zelda TP screams "I don't have a soul, but damn, I am trying". And sure it tries really hard, maybe too much. It is probably the Zelda with more "story" so far, but that story is completely dull and boring, hardly making any sense, even for a series where the script has never been exactly brilliant nor exciting.

So no, things won't get better even if you fix your TV's image settings and get prettier, sharper graphics.

Oh, well.

Last, but not least, I want to thank Onsy and other members if the Cafe for giving me this wonderful opportunity to rant to my heart's content. I really needed it. Phew~

Time Mage
2723th Post

"Re(1):FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF." , posted Sun 23 Nov 19:51post reply

quote:
Every inch of Zelda TP screams "I don't have a soul, but damn, I am trying". And sure it tries really hard, maybe too much.

I think that's the point. I enjoyed the game, yes, and finished it, but in the end, the only sensation left was "It was OK...". That's NOT the sensation one should have when finishing a Zelda (or a really good game, for that matter).

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Pollyanna
2592th Post

"Re(8):Twilight Princess" , posted Sun 23 Nov 20:31post reply

quote:

I'm going to have to keep my SDTV for Wii and PS2.

Noooo! It's not like SDTVs look GOOD! You really should look into the HD Box Pro I mentioned earlier. I can't find the pictures I saw of people who did "before and after" shots with it, but I can say that the example picture they have on their webpage is accurate. Someone made a youtube video as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3uHHSHUc2Q

This isn't especially telling except for the Mario Galaxy footage, so I'll use that as an example.

Before I got my new TV, I had an older HD tube TV. It looked best in 1080i, but would not run 1080p. Everything looked perfect on it...or rather, there was no "distortion" or "muddy" look on any game. That is to say, Mario Galaxy looked like it does in the video.

On my new 1080p LCD TV, non-HD stuff started looking terribly muddy. Mario Galaxy in particular looked so bad that I couldn't stand playing it any more. I tested the system out on several other LCD TVs/monitors to get the same result.

For me, playing HD games on an SD TV is like a sin. I want my games to look exactly how they look on the back of the box, you know? So I would say, if you're iffy about getting an HDTV, either get a deinterlacer, or buy an older tube HDTV if you aren't interested in saving space/1080p.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1149th Post

"Re(9):Twilight Princess" , posted Mon 24 Nov 04:53post reply

That's the joy of tubes. Multiple true resolutions without the need to scale!

LCD technology is awful, but hey, it'll do for now. A life without lifting or turning CRTs is an okay one.

sfried
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):An SD/HDTV discussion" , posted Mon 24 Nov 09:32post reply

quote:
That's the joy of tubes. Multiple true resolutions without the need to scale!

LCD technology is awful, but hey, it'll do for now. A life without lifting or turning CRTs is an okay one.

Plasma TV's work well with scaling SD progressive scan and interlaced games. My borother -in-law had one (before someone broke into his house at night and stole it), and I played most of my games in it without the muddy effects caused by LCD.

Grave
1150th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):An SD/HDTV discussion" , posted Mon 24 Nov 10:46post reply

Never actually spent any considerable amount of time with one! And I doubt I will, with LCD sets becoming more and more prevalent and plasma becoming less so. Though I imagine the high incidence of burn-in makes them less suitable for games, clean scaling or not.

hikarutilmitt
475th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Twilight Princess" , posted Mon 24 Nov 10:58post reply

quote:
So I would say, if you're iffy about getting an HDTV, either get a deinterlacer, or buy an older tube HDTV if you aren't interested in saving space/1080p.

You seem to be hooked on using a deinterlacer for an HDTV when interlacing is not what is causing your picture to look like ass on your HDTV. It looks like that because you're taking, at best with the Wii, a 480p signal and zooming it way the hell up to 1080p.

The thing to do here? Get a good SCALER or a good TV with a good scaler or do something drastic like I'm going to do with my Saturn and SNES ad pipe them through a media PC.

Most LCDs (or any HDTV, really) have a Game mode now where if you're putting a 480i signal through it deinterlaces the 480i and then scales it really carefully or it'll just scale a 480p signal better (sometimes at the cost of a bit of color gamut, but hey). IMO, Samsung LCDs do all of this the best and are worth the money.

Baines
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Twilight Princess" , posted Mon 24 Nov 12:42post reply

quote:

For some strange reason, the game is intentionally front-loaded with a padded overlong tutorial section. They actually thought this is a *good* thing, including its length.

The idea was that it would teach the player everything needed at the beginning of the game, so that there would be no need to teach the player wouldn't have to learn these things later. Except... As long as the tutorial section is, it still doesn't teach the player everything. The player still gets tutorial sections later.

As for jumping, the 3D Zeldas are designed so that you don't need a jump button. A jump button would even arguably make the actual jumping parts harder, as they are all designed around the guaranteed autojump distances.