The Anime Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2027 Views )

Shindekudasai
334th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"The Anime Thread" , posted Sat 8 Nov 17:29post reply

Board's been a bit slow lately so I figured I'd stir it up a bit. And what better source of controversy than Japanese animation?

For anyone following the new Evangelion movies, Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.0 ~ You Can (Not) Advance will be released in 'early summer 2009'. Also, Gainax/Khara has just unveiled the redesigned Eva-02: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5814&sid=00626288a0d1dc2d40678dc31e4e85b0

The new Casshern/Casshan anime had a slow start, but it's finally going somewhere with episode 5. Each episode sheds just a little more light on how/why Casshern killed Luna, and now a 'rival' Casshern is about to show up. Here's a link to stream it if you care to catch up: http://www.anilinkz.com/casshern-sins/

Replies:

Nekros
117th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):The Anime Thread" , posted Sat 8 Nov 18:58post reply

quote:
Board's been a bit slow lately so I figured I'd stir it up a bit. And what better source of controversy than Japanese animation?

For anyone following the new Evangelion movies, Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.0 ~ You Can (Not) Advance will be released in 'early summer 2009'. Also, Gainax/Khara has just unveiled the redesigned Eva-02: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5814&sid=00626288a0d1dc2d40678dc31e4e85b0

So, Unit 02 really needs those horns?
Btw, in that movie they will unveil the totally new brand Eva-06 with its pilot.

alsa
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The Anime Thread" , posted Sat 8 Nov 19:22post reply

quote:

The new Casshern/Casshan anime had a slow start, but it's finally going somewhere with episode 5. Each episode sheds just a little more light on how/why Casshern killed Luna, and now a 'rival' Casshern is about to show up. Here's a link to stream it if you care to catch up: http://www.anilinkz.com/casshern-sins/

how many Eva movies has been plan by Gainax

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/7/16/133550/V3.png [Image Attached]

Shindekudasai
335th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 00:28post reply

They are releasing 4 movies. "Evangelion 1.0 ~ You Are (Not) Alone" came out September 2007. "2.0 ~ You Can (Not) Advance" will be released in early summer of next year, and the other two are anybody's guess. The last movie will be an entirely new ending for the series.

nobinobita
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 02:13post reply

quote:
They are releasing 4 movies. "Evangelion 1.0 ~ You Are (Not) Alone" came out September 2007. "2.0 ~ You Can (Not) Advance" will be released in early summer of next year, and the other two are anybody's guess. The last movie will be an entirely new ending for the series.

Boy they really know how to milk their fans! (I should know since i'm one of them)

Anyone seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time ? I highly recommend it, it's mega excellent.

Mamoru Hosada is a director to watch out for.

The Digimon movie he directed many years back was also really damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcgoIygad9M

Tai-Pan
305th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 03:20post reply

quote:

You are damn right. I'm glad you created this topic because I have something to ask. I've been enjoying Cowboy Bebop again, which is my favourite anime of all time. I was wondering if any members of the cafe can recommend me any anime a la cowboy bebop. I really liked the mature characters and the whole story. It's an anime I can enjoy with my wife as adults.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maou
1516th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 03:41post reply

quote:

You are damn right. I'm glad you created this topic because I have something to ask. I've been enjoying Cowboy Bebop again, which is my favourite anime of all time. I was wondering if any members of the cafe can recommend me any anime a la cowboy bebop. I really liked the mature characters and the whole story. It's an anime I can enjoy with my wife as adults.

I only ever watched the first episode, but Samurai Champaloo seemed pretty stellar, being from Watanabe, who is wonderful. Other obvious choices: anything Miyazaki and Ghibli have laid their hands on...sophisticated works theoretically targeted "at children" but in fact worthy of adults, seeing as how M wants to have a lot more expected of children than most children's entertainment. So, grab Nausicaa and Laputa for starters, right away!

For adult-targeted animation in a James Bond kind of way, Lupin III (Cagliostro, and Secret of Mamo).

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Tai-Pan
306th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 04:26post reply

quote:

I only ever watched the first episode, but Samurai Champaloo seemed pretty stellar, being from Watanabe, who is wonderful. Other obvious choices: anything Miyazaki and Ghibli have laid their hands on...sophisticated works theoretically targeted "at children" but in fact worthy of adults, seeing as how M wants to have a lot more expected of children than most children's entertainment. So, grab Nausicaa and Laputa for starters, right away!

For adult-targeted animation in a James Bond kind of way, Lupin III (Cagliostro, and Secret of Mamo).

Thank you sir. I forgot to say that I'm not beginner when it comes to anime. I have already seen what you suggested. But thank you!!! However.. I think there are not enough adult oriented offerings

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

nobinobita
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 06:17post reply

quote:

Thank you sir. I forgot to say that I'm not beginner when it comes to anime. I have already seen what you suggested. But thank you!!! However.. I think there are not enough adult oriented offerings

I was watching Bebop over dinner the other night... SO GOOD! Even better than I remember!

A friend of mine got his father into Anime by showing him Cowboy Bebop. His dad was a cop and a gun nut, so he ended up being totally won over by the attention to detail put into the firearms on the show. He said the guns were totally accurate in the way they looked, sounded, their firepower, and even the number of bullets they held before reloading (the guy counted). He said it was more accurate than any other movie or show he'd seen and whoever made it was a real gun lover. Of course he stayed for the ride and ended up loving the characters and the stories too.

My friend then tried showing his dad Love Hina, which didn't work out quite as well haha.

Anyway, if you want a good adult targeted anime I highly recommend Kemenozume.

It's probably the best TV show I've seen, and just one of my favorite stories all around. I'm amazed it was ever made at all. It's got a very unique story, very well developed characters and it's carried out in a very loose, freewheeling style.

It's one of those rare commercial productions where you can tell that it was a personal project for everyone involved.

Some episodes are entirely animated by a single person (key frames, inbetweens and all, even the background layouts).

For some background information on the show, please visit the very very excellent Anipages:

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php?title=kemonozume_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#comments

I haven't bothered telling you what the story is about because I think it's best to go into this show cold. I implore you to give the show a shot and stick with it, cos it's really something special. There's probably some high quality torrents of it floating around.

I hope it someday gets a comercial release in the states.

Tai-Pan
308th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 07:57post reply

quote:

Anyway, if you want a good adult targeted anime I highly recommend Kemenozume.

It's probably the best TV show I've seen, and just one of my favorite stories all around. I'm amazed it was ever made at all. It's got a very unique story, very well developed characters and it's carried out in a very loose, freewheeling style.

It's one of those rare commercial productions where you can tell that it was a personal project for everyone involved.

Some episodes are entirely animated by a single person (key frames, inbetweens and all, even the background layouts).

For some background information on the show, please visit the very very excellent Anipages:

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php?title=kemonozume_1&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#comments

I haven't bothered telling you what the story is about because I think it's best to go into this show cold. I implore you to give the show a shot and stick with it, cos it's really something special. There's probably some high quality torrents of it floating around.

I hope it someday gets a comercial release in the states.

WOW, I like it. I dont know how but I must get it soon. SOON

Gojira
2475th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 15:03post reply

quote:

Well, I'm not sure what kind of maturity you're looking for, but a couple subs I'd recommend if you like Cowboy Bebop are Baccano! and Black Lagoon. Black Lagoon is more on the crude side but it's a similar, more grounded (i.e. less sci-fi) bounty-hunting team story with some interesting characters and lots of engrish swearing. Baccano! is... hard to describe. It's like Reservoir Dogs meets The Untouchables, with a bit of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. That might make it sound bad, but it's actually very enjoyable. Just a tad gory at times.

Hope that helps!

shipoopi

nobinobita
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 15:30post reply

quote:
Baccano! is... hard to describe. It's like Reservoir Dogs meets The Untouchables, with a bit of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. That might make it sound bad, but it's actually very enjoyable. Just a tad gory at times.

Hope that helps!

I'm SOLD!!!

nobinobita
434th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 15:47post reply

quote:

WOW, I like it. I dont know how but I must get it soon. SOON

I'm glad you like it!

If you must have a legit copy, you can get the entire series on dvd here:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B1%E3%83%A2%E3%83%8E%E3%83%85%E3%83%A1-DVD-BOX-%E6%B9%AF%E6%B5%85%E6%94%BF%E6%98%8E/dp/B000NTQNOA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1226212293&sr=8-2

It's a bit steep in price, but it's worth it for the awesome extras which have pencil tests and lots of other stuff for animation nerds to get excited about. Otherwise you can find the whole series subbed online, just look for a torrent.

If you haven't seen it already, I also HIGHLY recommend MINDGAME. Kemonozume is sort of a TV follow up to MINDGAME. It's not related in story at all, but they mostly had the same staff and they're both really... daringly different.

MINDGAME is my favorite movie. It's not for everyone, but most people I've shown it to liked it alot. Even Bill Plympton gave it a thumbs up!:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/old-brew/bill-plympton-loves-mind-game

If you liked what you've seen of Kemonozume, I recommend you get MINDGAME and watch it with no prior knowledge of its story. It's a really amazing film.

Nekros
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 17:20post reply

quote:
Baccano! is... hard to describe. It's like Reservoir Dogs meets The Untouchables, with a bit of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. That might make it sound bad, but it's actually very enjoyable. Just a tad gory at times.

Yup, Baccano! is very good. It reminds me White Wolf's roleplaying games in some ways.

BTW, Baccano is an Italian word, it means "noisy mess". So when your little glamourish sister insists to keep the tv speaker very high to watch her mtv crap you can shout to her: "stop this baccano!!" :P

Pollyanna
2584th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 9 Nov 22:03post reply

Just for the record, I'd like to second a few recommendations here.

Baccano! suffered a bit in the budget department here and there, but it's an excellent show once you start to figure things out.

Kemonozume and Mind Game are indeed fantastic...and I would add Kaiba to that list as well, especially to Tezuka fans. I mean...it's NOT Tezuka, but it felt more like his work than most of his anime adaptations.

I looveeeed the Girl Who Leapt Through Time, even if I wasn't crazy about the ending. Definitely definitely recommend it, as long as you don't demand violence and robots from your anime.

Which reminds me...

Nobinobita (or anyone really):

Have you seen One Piece Movie 6? It's fantastic. I don't know if I hate the One Piece anime or anime movies for long-running TV series more...and yet this turned out so brilliant. If you haven't seen it, at least check out a trailer.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):The Anime Thread" , posted Mon 10 Nov 07:08post reply

Just finished watching Shin Evangelion 01, it's great.
The new dialogues and the whole Angels stuff refurbished intrigues me a lot, with some very good new designs (like the Magi menus or the creepy Eva simulator). I don't like very much the anime till the arrival of Ramiel, it was too similar to the series counterpart, but has very good animation.
Can't wait to see the next episode, with more added contents!

Btw, do you like Eva?

karasu99
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):The Anime Thread" , posted Mon 10 Nov 07:39post reply

I resisted Evangelion for years, but watched it recently and was surprised when I really liked it. It retains a lot the air of romance that's part of giant robot shows from the 70's and 80's but you never really end up liking any of the characters, which is in itself a draw.

Can't wait to track these down, but the rate at which they're being dribbled out over years is pretty ridiculous.

quote:
Just finished watching Shin Evangelion 01, it's great.
The new dialogues and the whole Angels stuff refurbished intrigues me a lot, with some very good new designs (like the Magi menus or the creepy Eva simulator). I don't like very much the anime till the arrival of Ramiel, it was too similar to the series counterpart, but has very good animation.
Can't wait to see the next episode, with more added contents!

Btw, do you like Eva?

nobinobita
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):The Anime Thread" , posted Mon 10 Nov 10:42post reply

quote:

Nobinobita (or anyone really):

Have you seen One Piece Movie 6? It's fantastic. I don't know if I hate the One Piece anime or anime movies for long-running TV series more...and yet this turned out so brilliant. If you haven't seen it, at least check out a trailer.

YES! I loved that movie! Not so coincidentally that's the one Studio 4C did. They always bring something fresh and special to the table.

I loved the way they animated the One Piece cast and also how the movie got increasingly creepy as it went on.

Gotta love those Takashi Murakami flowers too. Speaking of which, have you seen the Murakami/Louis Vitton short directed by Mamoru Hosada?

Superflat Monogram

It's pretty fun. Also, if you enjoyed One Piece Movie 6 as well as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, you might enjoy Digimon: Hurricane Touchdown.

It's a GREAT kids film. It's animated beautifully, it's got an interesting bluesy soundtrack and the story is unusually focused and downbeat.

There's something about Hosada's directing style that I really enjoy. He gives everything an uncontrived slice of life feeling no matter how fantastic and ridiculous it is.

If you (or anyone else here) get a chance to see it, I'd like to know what you think.

shindekudasai
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):The Anime Thread" , posted Mon 10 Nov 13:27post reply

I MUCH preferred the Japanese version of Digimon to the inferior dub. I mean, it goes without saying, but still. I was blown away when I finally found out just how much us American kids were getting screwed over. Digimon Adventure, Tamers, and their movies had some great tunes too.

Never bothered with Savers. Is it any good? And it's too much to hope that it's in the original continuity, right?

Nekros
125th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7): Fuck Metal Alchemist!" , posted Sun 16 Nov 19:07:post reply

I have read the volume 19 today (in italian), this is getting a bit bit boring, but storyline wise is great.
Also, the Japanese version of the volume 20 manga, cames with the announcement of THE NEW ANIMATED SERIES by Studio Bones.
It is unclear if it will be a sequel or a remake following the manga story. Starting April 2009.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Sun 16 Nov 19:08]

nobinobita
441th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):The Anime Thread" , posted Sun 16 Nov 19:57:post reply

quote:
I MUCH preferred the Japanese version of Digimon to the inferior dub. I mean, it goes without saying, but still. I was blown away when I finally found out just how much us American kids were getting screwed over. Digimon Adventure, Tamers, and their movies had some great tunes too.

Never bothered with Savers. Is it any good? And it's too much to hope that it's in the original continuity, right?

I'm by no means a Digimon expert. I caught a few episodes on TV and enjoyed it, but was otherwise unfamiliar with it when I saw the movie (which I originally saw on an airplane). I loved the movie regardless though.

I do agree that it's a shame when things get lost in translation. Another good example of something that is much improved in its original language is the first Pokemon movie. That's another surprisingly great kids flick if you can catch it in Japanese. Really! The original script and music are much more thoughtful.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 16 Nov 22:59]