Castlevania, this time for DS - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3542 Views )

Mozex
349th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Wed 22 Oct 13:17post reply

So the new game is out now and the scum of the earth (gamefaqs/gamespot boards) seem to like it.

In other news, it seems that many people think Portait of Ruin (The second DS game) is crap; this saddens me greatly.

Be kind to goblins.

Replies:

D`Cloud
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Wed 22 Oct 13:44post reply

quote:
So the new game is out now and the scum of the earth (gamefaqs/gamespot boards) seem to like it.

In other news, it seems that many people think Portait of Ruin (The second DS game) is crap; this saddens me greatly.

Il ike portrait of ruin better than the first castlevania ds game

http://www.dustinuy.com

Shindekudasai
322th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Wed 22 Oct 16:47:post reply

A lot of people talk shit about PoR. I'll admit, the level designs aren't as interesting as its predeccesors, the anime art pales to Kojima, and the fetch quests were kind of dumb. But it did have an awesome play system and the usual CV goodness. I didn't actually play through it 'til about a month ago due to common opinion, but once I gave it a shot, I loved it! Richter mode and Sisters mode are both fun as well, haven't unlocked Axe Armor yet.

As for Ecclesia, I'm super-excited for it. The new artist rocks, the tunes I've heard so far are solid, and the graphics rival Symphony (imho). Lots of weapons and combos, and the Glyph system sounds awesome. Can't wait to see where it actually falls into the series (it's been said early 18th century, right after Richter relinqueshes the Vampire Killer and dissappears) and hope it gives us some more detail on the '99 battle (because Julius fucking rocks and deserves his own game).

Arcade sounds fun, and uh, that's about it. :)

Judgement ... retch.

Update: Ecclesia is WONDERFUL! I had high hopes, but to have them REALIZED ... whoah. For the uninformed: Sweet graphics, cool new gameplay/combo system, kickin' soundtrack (esp. if you liked the 'moody/atmospheric' type from Super CV4), and I'm loving the 'classic' stages/world map/metroid-vania fusion.

[this message was edited by Shindekudasai on Wed 22 Oct 18:59]

Maou
1501th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 08:19post reply

quote:

(esp. if you liked the 'moody/atmospheric' type from Super CV4)

INTRIGUE. Until Akumajou gets back on consoles, I figure we'll never have the synth-orchestral majesty of Nocturne/Symphony, so the next best thing would be the sophisticated soundtrack to the 16-bit version of Simon's quest. The opening title theme (with the prelude about the story--also plays during the battle with Dracula), the moody sounds in the courtyard followed by Simon's superb theme...such excellent work. None of the poppier themes were especially good next to 8-bit, but the ambient ones...wow. Which is all to say that I'm interested in your description.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

sfried
254th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 09:16:post reply

quote:
Update: Ecclesia is WONDERFUL! I had high hopes, but to have them REALIZED ... whoah. For the uninformed: Sweet graphics, cool new gameplay/combo system, kickin' soundtrack (esp. if you liked the 'moody/atmospheric' type from Super CV4), and I'm loving the 'classic' stages/world map/metroid-vania fusion.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Harmony of Dissonance left a sour taste in my mouth, and I was hessitant about getting PoR, when they announced this installment and the slightly unique setup (i.e. glyph system).

The soundtrack reminds me of Castlevania Chronicles.

I also keep hearing about Koji Igarashi having a reputation of making the newer Castlevania's easy, with this installment being the exception.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 23 Oct 09:17]

Maou
1504th Post

"Re(4):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 10:11post reply

quote:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Harmony of Dissonance left a sour taste in my mouth, and I was hessitant about getting PoR, when they announced this installment and the slightly unique setup (i.e. glyph system).

The soundtrack reminds me of Castlevania Chronicles.

I also keep hearing about Koji Igarashi having a reputation of making the newer Castlevania's easy, with this installment being the exception.

I am listening to Simon's theme from Chronicles RIGHT NOW. 'tis the season for the undead.

Anyway, you mentioned hating the second GBA one, and rightly so. Concerto/Harmony is awful, if pretty. Give the third, Minuet/Aria, a try if you haven't. Design-wise, it's in the same league as the original PS one, even if the series really ought to have another majestic non-handheld release.

Spoon
1651th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 10:22post reply

I want to try it, but I recently enjoyed Legend of Kage 2 thoroughly and I'm worried that that will spoil my experience of another 2D game (i.e. Ecclesia) that involves jumping on platforms and slashing things.

sfried
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 10:43:post reply

quote:
I am listening to Simon's theme from Chronicles RIGHT NOW. 'tis the season for the undead.

Anyway, you mentioned hating the second GBA one, and rightly so. Concerto/Harmony is awful, if pretty. Give the third, Minuet/Aria, a try if you haven't. Design-wise, it's in the same league as the original PS one, even if the series really ought to have another majestic non-handheld release.

I don't know what you mean by "original PS one". Are you talking about Chronicles? SotN? I haven't played the latter. (Do you mean secrets? Lots of hidden stuff behind the walls?)

Also, I don't seem to be too fond of Metroidvania overworlds in general. I prefer chuck-sized areas which you can "complete" level-by-level. Stages nowdays are underrated, which is why I'm glad OoE is harkens back to the old setup with it's pseudo-Metroidvania approach.

The song that plays in the Kalidus Channel area reminded me of Wicked Child, at least in tempo.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 23 Oct 10:44]

Pollyanna
2574th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(6):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 11:14post reply

I'm going to hold off being excited about Ecclesia until I can actually play it. The things that I'm hearing about it sound extremely promising, but people said the same things about PoR.

I feel like all the portable Castlevanias have been varying degrees of "adequate", so I can't see complaining much about PoR in comparison to the others. It had a few reasonably challenging boss fights, which is more than I can say for its predecessors.

I "loved" the second GBA one because once you could slide, you never needed to run again. I felt like I was scraping my ass all over Dracula's castle. Man, that game was stupidly easy.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1506th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 11:15:post reply

quote:

I don't know what you mean by "original PS one". Are you talking about Chronicles? SotN? I haven't played the latter. (Do you mean secrets? Lots of hidden stuff behind the walls?)

The original PS one like...the original PS game that set the tone for all these Dracula-Metroid hybrid games, Nocturne/Symphony. Never played it?! In a weird inverted way, I kind of envy that, in that you have one of the greatest games I can think of before, just waiating to be played---the excitement!

Oh, and design-wise, I meant in intelligence of the layout. Concerto/Harmony of course was intolerable because of the inane hopping between palatte swaps of the same levels, with no challenge to speak of. The PS original has more atmosphere, better castle layout, and more to offer, I think. Basic little things, like the sheer number of places you can go with a new ability (as opposed to having, say, ONE point in the castle that you can suddenly backtrack to once you have the double-jump, the PS game has countless directions, which makes all the difference).

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 23 Oct 11:18]

sfried
257th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 11:19:post reply

quote:
The original PS one like...the original PS game that set the tone for all these Dracula-Metroid hybrid games, Nocturne/Symphony. Never played it?! In a weird inverted way, I kind of envy that, in that you have one of the greatest games I can think of before, just waiating to be played---the excitement!

I'll wait...until Iga releases it on a console I have access to.

Besides, why is SotN so overhyped? I'm sensing FFVII-ism all over again... (What happened to just whips and a second item?)
quote:
Oh, and design-wise, I meant in intelligence of the layout. Concerto/Harmony of course was intolerable because of the inane hopping between palatte swaps of the same levels, with no challenge to speak of. The PS original has more atmosphere, better castle layout, and more to offer, I think. Basic little things, like the sheer number of places you can go with a new ability (as opposed to having, say, ONE point in the castle that you can suddenly backtrack to once you have the double-jump, the PS game has countless directions, which makes all the difference).

Sound kinda like...Super Metroid, which I kinda don't have time for, considering my lifestyle nowdays (gotta go for that Bachelors).

On that note: I really like Ecclesia's pacing so far.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 23 Oct 11:24]

Maou
1506th Post

"Re(8):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 11:29post reply

quote:
I'll wait...until Iga releases it on a console I have access to.

Besides, why is SotN so overhyped? I'm sensing FFVII-ism all over again... (What happened to just whips and a second item?)
Sound kinda like...Super Metroid, which I kinda don't have time for, considering my lifestyle nowdays (gotta go for that Bachelors).

On that note: I really like Ecclesia's pacing so far.

Surely you must concede that some games are not "overhyped" so much as they are "really good." I know what you're talking about VII, of course, but the PS game just happens to be better. Better music, better castle design, better graphics...the portable ones are all quite clearly children of its legacy, to various degrees of success. As far as consoles to play it on, I think it's playable on basically everything at this point except DS and GBA. PS3, XBox, PSP...

sfried
257th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 11:37post reply

quote:
Surely you must concede that some games are not "overhyped" so much as they are "really good." I know what you're talking about VII, of course, but the PS game just happens to be better. Better music, better castle design, better graphics...the portable ones are all quite clearly children of its legacy, to various degrees of success. As far as consoles to play it on, I think it's playable on basically everything at this point except DS and GBA.

And that's the problem.

Some people complain about the linearity of old Castlevanias. What's so wrong with linearity? I like old-school straightforward progression. When you throw in exploration, somehow there's a fine balance between letting the player recall all the paces where s/he can use her/his newly acquired powerup to access a new area. On top of that, s/he has to keep tabs on all of the new areas s/he has access to.

The beauty of the old games is that retracing does not retract you from your main progression.

As for Ecclesia, now that I did a bit of research, people are calling it a "hybrid" approach.

Maou
1507th Post

"Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 12:10post reply

quote:
Surely you must concede that some games are not "overhyped" so much as they are "really good." I know what you're talking about VII, of course, but the PS game just happens to be better. Better music, better castle design, better graphics...the portable ones are all quite clearly children of its legacy, to various degrees of success. As far as consoles to play it on, I think it's playable on basically everything at this point except DS and GBA.
And that's the problem.

Some people complain about the linearity of old Castlevanias. What's so wrong with linearity? I like old-school straightforward progression. When you throw in exploration, somehow there's a fine balance between letting the player recall all the paces where s/he can use her/his newly acquired powerup to access a new area. On top of that, s/he has to keep tabs on all of the new areas s/he has access to.

The beauty of the old games is that retracing does not retract you from your main progression.

As for Ecclesia, now that I did a bit of research, people are calling it a "hybrid" approach.

Ah, but I love old Draculas, too (though Rondo of Blood is my favorite, which is a bit oof a hybrid). My problem with the earliest of the new games, Circle of the Moon, was that you had to make a note of the one place where your new ability would open up, which essentially gave you the linearity of the old games, but with the added annoyance of trying to figure out where the hell the linear progression would happen(i.e. the -one- new place you could go with a new ability). The PS game gives you new abilities and then lets you go many new places. If exploration is a turn off, then certainly the old platformers are better, but if one is going to do the Metroid hybrid games, one should do it right, and the PS Nocturne/Symphony does.

sfried
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Thu 23 Oct 12:25:post reply

quote:
Ah, but I love old Draculas, too (though Rondo of Blood is my favorite, which is a bit oof a hybrid). My problem with the earliest of the new games, Circle of the Moon, was that you had to make a note of the one place where your new ability would open up, which essentially gave you the linearity of the old games, but with the added annoyance of trying to figure out where the hell the linear progression would happen(i.e. the -one- new place you could go with a new ability). The PS game gives you new abilities and then lets you go many new places. If exploration is a turn off, then certainly the old platformers are better, but if one is going to do the Metroid hybrid games, one should do it right, and the PS Nocturne/Symphony does.

Ecclesia does the progression right. The moment you have the ability needed for a certain part, you would be backtracking to that part anyways because plot and progression dictates it (in other words, a "New" sign appears in the overworld even when it's in a place you've already been to), so you don't need to make heavy mental notes of places where you can use the powerup unless you want some extra goodies. And even then, it doesn't feel like a burden at all (you eventually unlock warp points and shortcuts so you can easily exit the stage as soon as your done. The Channel stage is definately a fine example of this. You also end up finding villagers this way. There's alot of things in the game that just "click" right.

Edit: Here's a link to the track I was talking about.

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 23 Oct 13:09]

Black_Hayato
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Fri 24 Oct 08:32post reply

I'm loving it so far. It combines the best parts of DOS and POR.

Its also nice to not have the burden of finding a ton of mobility items just to advance.(ex. turning into clouds, different jumps, or boots and crap) Progression is more controlled thanks to a more linear format so the challenge for the most part is always just right.

The glyph system also means you can't really spam your way around like before, since every attack uses mp. You'll have to actually dodge things, plan your attacks around affinities, switch up weapons, and such. Backdash is useful now.

The music is also a good change of pace. POR had classic nes castlevania sound composition. This is more jazzy and atmosphere similar to CVIV.

Ishmael
3322th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 01:47post reply

Let me add my signature to this love letter to the latest Castlevania. Here's a few of the reasons I'm digging it.

Weapons and lots of them: Not only does OoE encourage me to switch between weapons, it's actually fun to do so. I remember when I played through AoS poor Soma was stuck for most of the game with a sword and some sort of killer yo-yo. It was an effective armament but it was dull as dirt. Having Shanoa combo the crap out of her opponents is so much fun that I doubt it will get old soon.

Lovely graphics: One of the many things I enjoyed about SotN was that if you knew what you were doing you could fill the screen with overwhemlming amounts of power. Even though I have only started the game it looks like OoE will satisfy my need for visual representation of what I am doing. Whether it's the bristling halo that surrounds Shanoa when she swings around on her Magnes glyph to the weapon unions that sweep through enemies it looks like OoE will give me all the pretty, pretty death I want.

Pacing: The segmented presentation gives OoE it's own unique feeling. I don't feel like I'm trudging left to right in a side-scroller nor do I feel like I'm aimlessly wandering like can happen in Metroidvania iterations. Instead the short but connected levels of OoE feel like a fresh approach to game progression.

The small things that add up: There's no real point to it, but I like that I can switch the language track so that Shanoa can grunt in Japanese. I also am so glad that I have yet to come across a point where a flying Medusa head comes bopping in from off-screen and knocks me into a bottomless pit EVERY DAMN TIME I try to jump. While it can be argued that sort of gameplay had its place in videogames I don't miss that sort of thing at all.

So, yeah, I like the game so far.

sfried
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 02:16post reply

Preorder soundtrack for everyone.

Spoon
1657th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 06:34post reply

quote:
I have yet to come across a point where a flying Medusa head comes bopping in from off-screen and knocks me into a bottomless pit EVERY DAMN TIME I try to jump.

When I first came across the river section, with the bobbing rafts and the MERMEN I was so happy!... until I found that Shanoa could swim. I don't think I've had such a thrill of excitement turn into such a sigh of defeat at the sight of myself not dying due to a failed jump in quite a long time.

One thing which one of the earlier games had that I wish OoE has is the ability to create equipment loadouts/profiles for you to quickly swap to. While I do like having bludgeoning/slashing/whatever else damage types distinct, having to have to pause the game to switch weapons is a bit of a buzzkill.

sfried
262th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 06:38:post reply

quote:
One thing which one of the earlier games had that I wish OoE has is the ability to create equipment loadouts/profiles for you to quickly swap to. While I do like having bludgeoning/slashing/whatever else damage types distinct, having to have to pause the game to switch weapons is a bit of a buzzkill.

Have you aquired the Glyph Sleeve yet? It let's you do exactly just that. (You change profiles on the fly by Holding A and Pressing L or R to scroll between them.) I think you get it after you beat the GIANT ENEMY CRAB boss.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 25 Oct 06:40]

Spoon
1658th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 09:24post reply

quote:
Have you aquired the Glyph Sleeve yet? It let's you do exactly just that. (You change profiles on the fly by Holding A and Pressing L or R to scroll between them.) I think you get it after you beat the GIANT ENEMY CRAB boss.

What's quite hilarious is that just now I finally decided to give up on trying to kill the Tin Man, and found the Glpyh Sleeve.

sfried
262th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 12:04post reply

I'm at one of the stages called "Training Hall" right now. The only thing keeping me alive is Refecltio.

Pollyanna
2575th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 12:10post reply

quote:
I also am so glad that I have yet to come across a point where a flying Medusa head comes bopping in from off-screen and knocks me into a bottomless pit EVERY DAMN TIME I try to jump.

Awwww! But it's not Castlevania without annoying Medusa heads wreaking an unreasonable amount of havoc. I always used to say that the Belmonts' most deadly adversaries were stairs and Medusa heads.

But I'm from the "Rondo of Blood is the best Castlevania" school, so I WOULD say something like that, I guess.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
264th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 12:20:post reply

quote:
But I'm from the "Rondo of Blood is the best Castlevania" school, so I WOULD say something like that, I guess.

Then you're in for a treat with this game. I'll take this format anyday over huge sprawling Metroidvanias.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Not that there isn't one.

End of Spoiler

Also, based on what I've seen in the footage, I think this time there's a glyph somewhere that let's you spawn Medusa heads at will.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 25 Oct 14:29]

Shindekudasai
325th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 14:38post reply

It's one of the summon/familiar glyphs, gives you a rotating shield of Medusa heads.

And grats on beating me to the Training Hall, I hear that area is murder :) I just beat Albus and Barlowe and got into the castle, myself. Gotta say once more that I love this game! Best thing to happen to CV in a long time.

(Which isn't a knock against Rondo or Aria, those were great games as well. But I'm really loving the 'fresh' feel this one. And the challenge!)

TreIII
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 15:31post reply

quote:
(Which isn't a knock against Rondo or Aria, those were great games as well. But I'm really loving the 'fresh' feel this one. And the challenge!)

Agreed. 100%.

In the end, it does a lot to remind me of MM9. Game can be quite a test, forcing you to figure out what you need to do, what pattern(s) to watch out for when fighting bosses and etc. You even have a real incentive to look into the "fetch quests", as they're the main means for how you can get some of the better goods like Super Potions.

And I REALLY do prefer this overall map style, as opposed to the SOTN-likes we've gotten for these last few years. To me, it only does more to give vindication to the notion that CV2 was definitely on the right track, but was just released in the wrong day and age...

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Professor
2516th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sat 25 Oct 22:05:post reply

I've beat the game and got all but one of the Glyphs. It's pretty fun, a mix between old-style Castlevania with a Metroidvania touch. I'm not sure if I like how linear the game is, but it's compensated by the addition of optional quests, where you need to go back to old stages if you want additional goodies. Also, the boss battles are really good.

The English voiceovers are actually... convincing. They're both good, the Japanese and English. Except with the Japanese, you get Wakamoto.

As usual, the inflation of your attacks can get pretty insane near the end of the game; spoiler underneath so beware, don't read until you've finished the game.

You can beat the count in just a second if you have the right combination of glyphs and equips. Luminar,Umbra,Dominous Angore (spellings may be wrong), and Death ring. 4 - 5 hits and he's dead.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 25 Oct 22:09]

Shindekudasai
326th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sun 26 Oct 05:20post reply

But don't forget that...

if you're wearing the Death Ring you can be killed by a single hit. It's not your standard uber-item, you still have to balance risk with reward.

Kind of like a Shoryuken!

End of Spoiler

Maou
1510th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sun 26 Oct 06:08post reply

quote:
CV2 was definitely on the right track, but was just released in the wrong day and age...

I'm already keyed up about this game thanks to this thread, but if the game contains villages and villages full of pathological liars giving out great "advice," I'm there.

Shindekudasai
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Sun 26 Oct 13:01post reply

Well, it does have a village full of wierdos. Does that count? Certainly the strangest

Plot point coming up, don't scroll further if you don't really want to be spoiled!

Last warning...

Belmonts

End of Spoiler

I've ever seen. Especially the medicine guy.

Professor
2517th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Sun 26 Oct 17:06:post reply

quote:
Well, it does have a village full of wierdos. Does that count? Certainly the strangest

I've ever seen. Especially the medicine guy.

That reminds me one more thing about the voice acting.

In the Japanese version, Barlow is voiced by Fatal Fury's Yamazaki actor Koji Ishii.. I couldn't tell until I listened to some of the unused voices in the music mode. Same hysterical laughter.

Someone at Konami must really like SNK games. There's a glyph that lets Shanoa do a Reppuken and Double Reppuken, as well as a Raging Storm.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 26 Oct 17:09]

TreIII
153th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Mon 27 Oct 08:05post reply

quote:

Someone at Konami must really like SNK games.

End of Spoiler

It's not like this would be a new and surprising trend, though.

After all, let's not forget, for example, that the Werewolf has been doing Power Geysers since back in Rondo. XD

And they've been giving the Capcom side of the equation some love too. The Succubus design in AoS looked like Morrigan, straight up. And couldn't you do a Shoryuken if you go the Weretiger soul (or would that make it "Tiger Uppercut", instead?) ^^;

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

sfried
264th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Mon 27 Oct 08:20post reply

Are people forgeting

the Hokuto references? The Goliath looks and acts like Raoh, and also the glyphs that basically let you become Kenshiro when you combo them.

End of Spoiler

Shindekudasai
328th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Mon 27 Oct 10:09post reply

I think the Weretiger was "developing an uppercut to match Werwolf's" or something like that, as well.

Spoon
1660th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Mon 27 Oct 11:02post reply

quote:
I think the Weretiger was "developing an uppercut to match Werwolf's" or something like that, as well.

There was something that had a reference to "jaguar kick" I remember, and there was another thing that would float beside you and punch while grunting, making me think it was a cheap imitation of a JoJo stand.

I love how the Grave Digger reminds me of Q.

The Skeleton Hero says that he's a prophesized saviour... but then again, there's quite a bunch of him in the Skeleton Cave.

The Invisible Man having those martial arts kicks is cool. They could've been a lot lazier with him!

Ishmael
3324th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Castlevania, this time for DS" , posted Mon 27 Oct 23:35post reply

quote:
When I first came across the river section, with the bobbing rafts and the MERMEN I was so happy!... until I found that Shanoa could swim. I don't think I've had such a thrill of excitement turn into such a sigh of defeat at the sight of myself not dying due to a failed jump in quite a long time.

What sort of self-respecting videogame character knows how to swim? They're supposed to sink like a stone or be instantly vaporized when they touch water!

Abster
352th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Tue 28 Oct 01:00post reply

Not to mention...

Dracula having Rugal's genocide cutter and I-no's megalomania.

End of Spoiler

I was a bit worried as to the changes to the formula, especially with the removal of pick up and use weapons, but glyphs weren't as restrictive as I thought they would be since your attack power increases with the respective glyphs you use. I like how they emphasize using enemy weaknesses to do the most damage possible. I found myself having to modify my glyph sleeve more often than I thought. Most of the outside areas look great, and Kladius Channel is quickly becoming one of my favorite CV areas of all time.

I can safely say this is one of my favorite CV games up to this point in time.

simonbelmont
141th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Tue 28 Oct 07:58post reply

quote:

Reminds me more of the professional wrestler the Undertaker. Especially how he looked back in the early 90's.

Spoon
1661th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Tue 28 Oct 08:42post reply

quote:

Reminds me more of the professional wrestler the Undertaker. Especially how he looked back in the early 90's.

Oh, for sure! I actually sat around him for minutes eating health items while I waited for him to do a Tombstone on me.

But he reminded me of Q because of his excellent imitation of Q's standing roundhouse.

sfried
275th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Sat 8 Nov 07:08post reply

Did I forget to mention the soundtrack already?

So far, I'm not sure what's the verdict on this installment compared to previous ones, but general consensus that I'm getting: best CV so far, or at least a step in the right direction of ever staling Metroidvanias?

Spoon
1669th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time f" , posted Sat 8 Nov 07:45post reply

quote:
Did I forget to mention the soundtrack already?

So far, I'm not sure what's the verdict on this installment compared to previous ones, but general consensus that I'm getting: best CV so far, or at least a step in the right direction of ever staling Metroidvanias?

It has me sufficiently engaged that I want to beat it. That's better than either of the previous DS Castlevanias.

I'm reserving judgement on whether it's the best so far. I've heard that the postgame zones feature challenging platforming, but the fact that challenging platforming comes after the main campaign still somewhat lessens my opinion of the game.

sfried
276th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this " , posted Sat 8 Nov 08:49post reply

quote:
Did I forget to mention the soundtrackI'm reserving judgement on whether it's the best so far. I've heard that the postgame zones feature challenging platforming, but the fact that challenging platforming comes after the main campaign still somewhat lessens my opinion of the game.

They're actually unlocked during the second half of the main campain.

Pollyanna
2585th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this " , posted Mon 10 Nov 13:31post reply

Finished the game a few days ago. I'm proud of myself. Dracula only hit me twice and I kept my personal "never buy healing items" rule.

It was definitely my favorite portable Castlevania (Chronicles doesn't count). Loooooove the new artist. I used to go to their webpage a long time ago, so it's good to see them getting professional work. Soundtrack was hit or miss for me, but there were way more hits than the other portable ones, that's for sure.

I think the biggest improvement was the added sense of "balance". Having intense elemental strengths/weaknesses made it impossible to pick one (overpowered) weapon/spell and spam it for the entire game.

I had a lot of time toying with my glyphs/equipment to see what worked. In many cases, the correct combination could bring you an easy victory, but the act of figuring it out was enjoyable in itself.

I didn't think the game was especially difficult, though. The boss battles were excellent and there was one part that gave me a little trouble in the castle, but otherwise it was a bit on the easy side. Maybe I feel that way because I've just come from several older Castlevanias and Megaman 9.

The extra cavern certainly was crazy, though. I loved the boss!

quote:

I'm reserving judgement on whether it's the best so far. I've heard that the postgame zones feature challenging platforming, but the fact that challenging platforming comes after the main campaign still somewhat lessens my opinion of the game.

I think if you're excited about challenging platforming, you probably won't find it very challenging. I cleared the area on the 2nd try and I'm not especially good at anything.

Still, I thought it was a really fun addition.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1671th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this" , posted Mon 10 Nov 14:22post reply

Having beaten Dracula, I have to say that it's better than all the previous portable Castlevanias. It is naturally better than the ones that didn't compel me to beat me, and it is better than the ones that I actually did beat.

I was a little disappointed that Dracula didn't have a third form, but that really just comes from enjoying his second form. His first form (teleporting around and throwing crap at you, but never actually walking) is the classic Dracula, but I found that the biggest threat was being stupid or greedy (like seeing how many fireballs you can dive kick in one wave, how many different ways you can get around the big fireballs, trying to get too many licks in and getting hit during the launch of the green rain).

The Frankenstein Raoh really came out of nowhere. I expected him to do all kinds of things, but doing a hundred-crack-fist punching fury or returning to the sky were not among them. I loved it.

I liked all the random and crazy fighting game references. Pneuma, letting you do reppukens or double reppukens or raging storms, was pretty fantastic.

I do think that people who continually want a Castlevania that is flatout larger (nevermind better/more interesting/more balanced challenge) than Symphony of the Night should get used to not getting that, but so long as a Castlevania game has a bit of Metroidvania to it, the sentiment will linger.

I also think that Albus' Up+L+A move is going to be my favourite silly Castlevania move for awhile.

badoor
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this" , posted Mon 10 Nov 17:18post reply

quote:

I also think that Albus' Up+L+A move is going to be my favourite silly Castlevania move for awhile.

Speaking of Albus mode, it irritates me that he can't move while shooting his gun. At first I kind of thought that albus mode would be like a contra/megaman/metroid run and gun type of game but because he can't move while shooting I tend to just abuse his "Optical & Meg Shot" while using regular shot for slow grounded enemies.

And the game is awesome BTW.

The Droogo
302th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Tue 11 Nov 04:38post reply

quote:

I think he´s the mix of both.

O ra o ra!
H.Y.A.L.M.A.R.I.

Ishmael
3342th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time fo" , posted Tue 18 Nov 01:31post reply

A silly question, but has anyone maxed out the owl glyph and if so what does the idle animation look like?

The owl may not be the greatest thing in the world but it's great looking and I love that the owl perches on Shanoa's shoulder during their idle animation. So when I managed to get the owl up to lvl.2 you can imagine how thrilled I was to find that Shanoa could now have a huge-ass owl perched on each shoulder. But what happens when the owl gets maxed out? Does the third owl sit awkwardly on Shanoa's head? Does it balance on the shoulders of the previous two owls so Shanoa can have a gigantic owl pyramid? While I am curious as to what will happen I'm not sure I want to murder every owl in Europe in order to get enough glyphs to finish leveling up.

sfried
285th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time f" , posted Sat 22 Nov 05:13post reply

quote:
The owl may not be the greatest thing in the world but it's great looking and I love that the owl perches on Shanoa's shoulder during their idle animation. So when I managed to get the owl up to lvl.2 you can imagine how thrilled I was to find that Shanoa could now have a huge-ass owl perched on each shoulder. But what happens when the owl gets maxed out? Does the third owl sit awkwardly on Shanoa's head? Does it balance on the shoulders of the previous two owls so Shanoa can have a gigantic owl pyramid? While I am curious as to what will happen I'm not sure I want to murder every owl in Europe in order to get enough glyphs to finish leveling up.
To answer your question, I went ahead and fired up my game to grind for owls in Tristis Pass to the point of putting them on the endangered species list. Here's a really bad camera phone pic of my result.

Abster
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this " , posted Sat 22 Nov 08:42post reply

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/image/945837.html?gs=70

Here's a better image.

Yes the third owl does stand on her head.

Spoon
1679th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this time f" , posted Sun 23 Nov 02:45post reply

quote:
owl formation

JET STREAM ATTACK

Ishmael
3344th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this " , posted Wed 26 Nov 22:14post reply

Thank you! This looks to be another one of those silly Castlevania extras that are probably more trouble than they are worth but, wow, that owl squadron is amazing.

Sensenic
1662th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Castlevania, this" , posted Fri 28 Nov 18:30post reply

Skipped over the thread as I started it recently but want to avoid spoilers...

I'm currently at the GIANT ENEMY CRAB fight, and so far I'm really enjoying it! Innovative, challenging and keeping all those little details I love so much (the cats... ).

2 aspects to point out:
- For the first time you HAVE to pay attention to elemental strengths/weaknesses, a la megaten. In the other metroidvanias you're able to kill a skeleton in one hit very early in the game, if not right from the beginning, whereas in this one depending on the equipped glyphs they may still take two or more hits.
- I found the first "scary" enemy on a Castlevania in a long time (if ever): Evil Force. An uberpowerful (by the time you get to "meet" it), ghastly, skinless head that comes right at you. That does quite the effect! And it's not a recycled sprite, to boot!

I want the Geese Howard glyph....

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-