Ash ShenWu Elizabeth
Kyo Benimaru Daimon
Leona Ralf
Ryo Robert
Terry Andy Kim
Athena Kensou Chin
Iori
Raiden

At least 20 characters (2 more left). K' heavily rumored since he is on the 15th anniversary logo.
No story. Classic 3 on 3. Game scheduled for April

official page

[this message was edited by Iggy on Fri 28 Nov 02:14]

Replies:

NARUTO
3680th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Fri 3 Oct 19:27post reply

question Iggy, at your own guess will ther be New characters in this KOF? I mean each episode always had between 3 and 5 brand new characters so will this happen for this episode?

And new Raiden isn't new, it's a "1st appearence" KOF, when I mean new it's, Heidi, Lin, Ramon...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Toxico
4483th Post

"Re(2):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Fri 3 Oct 22:40post reply

quote:
And new Raiden isn't new, it's a "1st appearence" KOF, when I mean new it's, Heidi, Lin, Ramon...

This is like asking what character was brand new in neo wave, 2002 or 98

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Professor
2514th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Fri 3 Oct 23:53:post reply

quote:
question Iggy, at your own guess will ther be New characters in this KOF? I mean each episode always had between 3 and 5 brand new characters so will this happen for this episode?

I have this weird feeling that, out of total wild guess, the last boss could be Rugal...

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 3 Oct 23:54]

Toxico
4484th Post

"Re(3):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 00:08post reply

quote:

I have this weird feeling that, out of total wild guess, the last boss could be Rugal...

That would be EPIC

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Zepy
1509th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 00:14post reply

quote:

Now that I thought about it, it wouldn't make any sense for any other character to be the boss when there's no storyline!

Ishmael
3298th Post

"Re(4):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 00:21post reply

Speaking of characters, now that it's been confirmed that there is no story I'm almost willing to bet that Elizabeth doesn't make it into the final game.

Toxico
4486th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 00:34:post reply

quote:
Speaking of characters, now that it's been confirmed that there is no story I'm almost willing to bet that Elizabeth doesn't make it into the final game.

The perfect official SNK database (a japanese site run by SNK, who's url I happen to forgot) already list her on "appearances -> KoF XI & XII". I checked something like 3 days ago, aiming to confirm how real that Raiden pic was.

On an unrelated note, be blessed

Edit : site, I was mistaken, it's not an SNK site :P It's funny to see how they added Athena's music lyrics to her profile.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 4 Oct 14:13]

Ikari Loona
232th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 01:53post reply

quote:

I'd like to see that happening, especially he was more 94-ish/CVS-ish, but I have my doubts SNK would bother with a character they'd be unlikely to use in the next game in the series, which should be more plot-relevant...

Unless, of course, they twist thing to confirm Rugal as being alive after all...

Or they'll just roll with the 2003 KoF plot point of Geese still being alive in that timeline.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Iggy
8682th Post

"Re(4):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 02:08post reply

When we didn't know yet the game wouldn't have any story, I thought the most logical boss would be Rose. She is supposed to have turned evil, and she's a girl: people will want to play her, so she can return in later games, like Chizuru or Saishu. Maybe more of a mid-boss, then.

But since I suppose every character of this game will return in KOF XIII, I think Heidi is a good compromise between Rugal and Rose (or between boss and playable character). After all, he has never been a normal character yet... Plus, he always was pretty damn ugly as a sprite, so a face lift couldn't hurt him.

Baines
236th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 05:18post reply

quote:
I'd like to see that happening, especially he was more 94-ish/CVS-ish, but I have my doubts SNK would bother with a character they'd be unlikely to use in the next game in the series, which should be more plot-relevant...

Unless, of course, they twist thing to confirm Rugal as being alive after all...

Maybe they'll think of Adel. He's not dead, is he? He could easily be used in future games. He's Rugal-ish, and fits in the weird way of being a new Rugal for a new generation of the game.

A new story-relevant boss honestly doesn't make much sense for a non-story game, as said boss would already be old by the time they got introduced in a real game. It would be pretty anti-climactic.

Time Mage
2712th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 06:17post reply

And what about a super-powered Ash? He's always been pretty ambiguous (in many ways, yeah), and a what-if Ash with all the three treasures powers could be interesting.

That, or Geese.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Count Hihihi
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 06:56post reply

Ok, who the fuck is Heidi? I never played XI, and I assume she's in it?

I hope it's not a nickname for Heidern. Without him, I would have never touched kof in the first place. Chargerz 4 lyfe, chargerz are BADASS

Iggy
8684th Post

"Re(7):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 07:35post reply

quote:
Ok, who the fuck is Heidi? I never played XI, and I assume she's in it?

I hope it's not a nickname for Heidern.

No, it's a nickname for... What's his name, again ? Rugal's putative son. Adelsomething. Adelheidi.

y2k
14th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 07:48post reply

i have to admit so far i'm kinda disappointed by this game. its the best looking 2d fighter i've ever seen, theres no denying that. but they showed this game 2 years ago and we're only getting 20 characters and no story!? and its not even due out until april 2009? weeeeeak.

Gojira
2458th Post

"Re(2):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 08:21:post reply

Yeah it's really too bad KoF has such spoiled fans. 20 is by far the LARGEST amount of characters ever in a first-generation high-res/high-def fighter, especially when you consider so far not a single one of them is a palette swap, head swap, or copied over from another game. It's just too bad this game was made to try and satisfy KoF fans, of all people.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 4 Oct 08:24]

Grave
1124th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 10:13post reply

quote:
Yeah it's really too bad KoF has such spoiled fans. 20 is by far the LARGEST amount of characters ever in a first-generation high-res/high-def fighter, especially when you consider so far not a single one of them is a palette swap, head swap, or copied over from another game. It's just too bad this game was made to try and satisfy KoF fans, of all people.

Fighting game fans are spoiled in general. Battle Fantasia's got, what, 12 characters? I've heard countless people who never touched the game bitch about how few there are. Learn some first! Then cry! Not that many people are going to touch BF to begin with... jerks. Anyway, I blame games like MvC2. And MvC2's brain-dead Mango Sentinel fanbase. Naturally a lot of us aren't going to be able to play our favorites, but the roster so far certainly isn't what I could call bad. No Kula or Joe? Sad. Leona and pizza delivery Terry are back? Very happy!

I guess people are down because KOF was always just a mess of characters, and it is kind of disappointing that the first venture into HD doesn't even have a story, but if the game plays half as good as it looks, I think it'll shut a lot of people up. I just hope the home version has an option for KOF XI-y high speed tag matches.

Iggy
8687th Post

"Re(3):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 18:19post reply

quote:
Yeah it's really too bad KoF has such spoiled fans. 20 is by far the LARGEST amount of characters ever in a first-generation high-res/high-def fighter, especially when you consider so far not a single one of them is a palette swap, head swap, or copied over from another game.

And so far, SF4 has 19 characters, and people complained a lot about them, but not about the number or anything.
And Arcana Heart 2 has 20, and it seems HUGE.

Strange as everything seems different in KOF.

Gojira
2459th Post

"Re(4):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 18:24post reply

quote:

Fighting game fans are spoiled in general. Battle Fantasia's got, what, 12 characters? I've heard countless people who never touched the game bitch about how few there are. Learn some first! Then cry! Not that many people are going to touch BF to begin with... jerks. Anyway, I blame games like MvC2. And MvC2's brain-dead Mango Sentinel fanbase. Naturally a lot of us aren't going to be able to play our favorites, but the roster so far certainly isn't what I could call bad. No Kula or Joe? Sad. Leona and pizza delivery Terry are back? Very happy!

I guess people are down because KOF was always just a mess of characters, and it is kind of disappointing that the first venture into HD doesn't even have a story, but if the game plays half as good as it looks, I think it'll shut a lot of people up. I just hope the home version has an option for KOF XI-y high speed tag matches.

That's just what I mean though. If it was a new Garou, people would probably be ecstatic to hear about 20 characters completely redrawn in high-res. Or maybe I'm just completely overestimating Garou fans.

shipoopi

Zepy
1510th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 19:05post reply

It's probably because you use three characters at a time in KOF, so 20 characters might feel like... 7 characters for some people, I guess.

Count Hihihi
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 21:21post reply

quote:
i have to admit so far i'm kinda disappointed by this game. its the best looking 2d fighter i've ever seen, theres no denying that. but they showed this game 2 years ago and we're only getting 20 characters and no story!? and its not even due out until april 2009? weeeeeak.

I THINK YOU ARE BADASS FOR NOT PUTTING UP WITH SNK MAKING YOU WAIT FOR A NEW KOF

Grave
1125th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 21:41post reply

quote:
That's just what I mean though. If it was a new Garou, people would probably be ecstatic to hear about 20 characters completely redrawn in high-res. Or maybe I'm just completely overestimating Garou fans.

If they'd just make a new Garou, I'd probably be fine with it even if it only had 4 characters. Even if all of them were Rock.

Toxico
4486th Post

"Re(4):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 23:31post reply

quote:

Strange as everything seems different in KOF.

Well, I don't know about arcana, but you have too look at the previous game 98' UM had a cast that perhaps goes in the lines of the 50s, and XI was for about in the 40s, for the fans such a cut in the cast most likely give the feeling "my favourite characters got replaced by Elizabeth and Raiden? Fuck them". Also, from the most uneducated fans I have heard things like "'94 rebout was Hi res with 25 characters, I was expecting 3 times that for this game".

My take on the issue? It's better to take the cast with a grain of salt and enjoy it, my main worry is how many characters they might be able to pull out in the next dream match (more than 40? or less than 30?) whatever it is, it seems that we are close to 10 years to find out anything about it

Also, I hope that redrawing the characters will have a certain amount of effect on how the characters are handled, giving -perhaps- a much needed 'fun factor' boost to some members of the cast.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Spoon
1632th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 02:37post reply

quote:
It's probably because you use three characters at a time in KOF, so 20 characters might feel like... 7 characters for some people, I guess.

Another way to look at it is that the cast is even smaller than KOF'94.

y2k
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 03:26post reply

my whole thing is that kof has always had a lot of characters, so thats what i've come to expect. for a kof game 20 isnt that much, but for garou or street fighter thats pretty big.

Count Hihihi
125th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 06:44post reply

It shouldn't be that hard to be satisfied with a new hi-res SNK fighting game that has 20 characters just because it's Kof, since there is no new Garou in sight, and SFIV is what it is. I guess you can lay all your hopes on BlazBlue or whatever else is coming out.

Or is this just a phase in the mind of a typical omg-animu-kof-storyline-streetfighter-sota-figure-idiot? First comes the roster nagging, but when the game that is nothing unlike your irrational dream match is finally out, you love it.

Funny how SNK redrawing everything doesn't seem to be enough for some. Before the game is out, that is.

Toxico
4488th Post

"Re(3):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 07:08post reply

quote:
Or is this just a phase in the mind of a typical omg-animu-kof-storyline-streetfighter-sota-figure-idiot?

Don't fail to remember that previously, every complain was on the lines of "Iori's sprite has 10 years!" or "why can't they animate the characters like in Garou!" and "Daddy didn't gave me a mercedes this year, the bastard!".

Along these lines, I'm glad that by this time none of the cast seems to share their "faces" nor their "skeletons", like half of the cast did in '94.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

trickynishidake
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 13:38post reply

I would have been happy with another old school pixel KOF that ended the story.

My standards are low.

Pollyanna
2563th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 16:40post reply

It's not that I'm not excited about the game, but I still play KOF XI regularly, and I don't know if it can really replace it with such a small cast. I mean, I use 18 characters in KOF XI and none of my big favorites (from XI or other KOFs) have made it to XII yet.

So far, I have 4 characters I kind of like in XII. I'd like at least one to be totally excited about and maybe 2 more I'm "okay" with.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Count Hihihi
126th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 17:08post reply

quote:
It's not that I'm not excited about the game, but I still play KOF XI regularly, and I don't know if it can really replace it with such a small cast. I mean, I use 18 characters in KOF XI and none of my big favorites (from XI or other KOFs) have made it to XII yet.

So far, I have 4 characters I kind of like in XII. I'd like at least one to be totally excited about and maybe 2 more I'm "okay" with.

I don't really understand why XII has to replace XI for anyone. Two different games. You can play both. You can even have DIFFERENT FAVOURITES in XII! Think about it.

NARUTO
3681th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 18:33post reply

quote:
Well, I don't know about arcana, but you have too look at the previous game 98' UM had a cast that perhaps goes in the lines of the 50s, and XI was for about in the 40s, for the fans such a cut in the cast most likely give the feeling "my favourite characters got replaced by Elizabeth and Raiden? Fuck them". Also, from the most uneducated fans I have heard things like "'94 rebout was Hi res with 25 characters, I was expecting 3 times that for this game".

My take on the issue? It's better to take the cast with a grain of salt and enjoy it, my main worry is how many characters they might be able to pull out in the next dream match (more than 40? or less than 30?) whatever it is, it seems that we are close to 10 years to find out anything about it

Also, I hope that redrawing the characters will have a certain amount of effect on how the characters are handled, giving -perhaps- a much needed 'fun factor' boost to some members of the cast.

The probleme for me didn't comes from the limited cast, there will be a(many) boss(es) after all and they'll maybe turn playable like the TRC characters from KOF 11. What disturbs me the most it's the dream match feeling, even with a low cast I was expecting for a solid story and some brand new charactrers. Of course this may happen as well, and this is why I'm waiting for th game. But I do fear that SNKP may gives us a KOF HD with just old KOF or SNK fighter which would lost a bit of interest as well IMO, since one of my pleasure in each KOF it's to learn each episode the new comers, and try to master them a bit. Raiden isn't a bad surprise, but I don't think that he would surprise us more than a Diana would or a 100% new character.

The game being only 60% made I still have high hopes for it and will wait for the lock-test to see how it turns. The "sousai" system being something much more dramatic IMO when I see how much abusable it seesm to be right now... (normal moves cancels DM or projectile? lame and ridiculous... IMO)

Fortes fortuna juvat...

kofoguz
630th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 18:51post reply

quote:

I don't really understand why XII has to replace XI for anyone. Two different games. You can play both. You can even have DIFFERENT FAVOURITES in XII! Think about it.

I hate this discussion, so in your logic we should have no expectations at all. Cause all the previous still there and we should play them. Its not a valid reason.
I still regret seeing "Big" Raiden there. They could save him for next installment, and give us another favourite. Personally Duck King would be a better choice.
Anyway Im getting used to "sorry, we couldnt make it in time so last resort we're using transition card" idea.

Athena, Shen, Robert seem to be my loves, and Leona might surprise me, too.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Iggy
8688th Post

"Re(8):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 19:12post reply

quote:
I hate this discussion, so in your logic we should have no expectations at all. Cause all the previous still there and we should play them. Its not a valid reason.

Actually, that worked pretty well for KOF 2003 or 99, for example.
Since each KOF is so different from each other and people have their own relationship with each installment (people love/hate 2000, 2001, XI, and even 98/02), we should give this game the same chances we gave, at least, 2003 or XI before they were released. All in all, the biggest question, for me, will be: will it be broken, like most of the time?
It will not replace XI, 02 or 98, but if it's better than 2003, it will still be a pleasant surprise.

kofoguz
631th Post

"Re(9):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Sun 5 Oct 20:05post reply

quote:
Actually, that worked pretty well for KOF 2003 or 99, for example.
Since each KOF is so different from each other and people have their own relationship with each installment (people love/hate 2000, 2001, XI, and even 98/02), we should give this game the same chances we gave, at least, 2003 or XI before they were released. All in all, the biggest question, for me, will be: will it be broken, like most of the time?
It will not replace XI, 02 or 98, but if it's better than 2003, it will still be a pleasant surprise.

Well for me its 97-99-02-XI. Yes, I can play them anytime I want, very true. But comprehension goes like this, I'll start after 97. At the arcade 97 and 98 was there when "I was back" in arcades. After arrival of 99 I understand which one I loved most. 97.
I played 99 till '00, and in between 99 and 00, 99 wins. After 01, between 99-00 99 wins. After 2002, between 01-00, foxy wins both fails. After 2003 between 02-01 of course 02. Now the winner is KoF XI. Sure KOFXII takes place of KOF XI or all ash saga system. Or KOF XI will taste better. Or they both won.
What was I saying?

Oh yeah the thing is, the old ones there we know, but I compare them. Nothing is wrong with it.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Freeter
4427th Post

"Re(10):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Mon 6 Oct 02:05post reply

Cast size doesn't matter to me, since 20 is still a respectable number for a KOF game (smaller than 94 by only a handful, big whoop). What bothers me is the lack of story. I waited two and a half years to find out just what the hell Ash is up to, and now SNKP wants me to wait ANOTHER 2-3 years for everything to be resolved? Screw that.

I don't care if it's text-only endings like in NGBC and CVS2. Give us something.

Toxico
4491th Post

"Yoga flame." , posted Mon 6 Oct 02:59:post reply

As usual, taking links from other forums Here is an article for XII and '02UM

The very few things that I understand about '02

- The game is about 65%

- They aren't considering an arcade version at the time, and seems less likely than 98UM an arcade version is made (for those who remember, Hakase had almost to kidnap his boss son to get the game released :P)

- They realize that '02 was the most played game in the series and is considered in japan the most popular by many.

- '98 is focused on the Orochi Hen chapter, and '02 is focused on the NESTS chapter, so we are aiming to add every unique character between 99~01.

- For the former objective, a lot of teams will be remadeb (big deal, everyone edits after all ).

- Strikers where considered, but ultimately ruled out.

- Re bout graphics where considered, but ruled out (big surprise :P).

- "Will characters from SvC (aka '02 port exclusive) show up?" Wait until the TGS to find out *laughs*

- If you take '98, you can say that '98UM added a lot of things. Their objective is that '02UM adds much more to '02 than what '98UM added to '98 (am I making sense?)

I'll leave the rest to our parisian hot shots.

Edit : ops, I forgot -> They where thinking on adding playable toned down bosses (I hope that this at least means than this time the Advanced Krizalid, Zero and Ron team will be pitted at you at some point un 1p game AND not as stinking strikers).

quote:
But I have to go see my wife and kids now.

Rubber dolls never had such a deep meaning as they do after those lines

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Mon 6 Oct 05:13]

Iggy
8690th Post

"Re(1):Yoga flame." , posted Mon 6 Oct 03:06post reply

That's great ! Thanks !

But I have to go see my wife and kids now.

I'll do it when I'm back, if nobody has done it before (wink wink)

badoor
49th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Mon 6 Oct 06:09post reply

With many people disappointed with the comparatively small cast and since making new Kofs will be a much more time & money consuming ordeal than the neo-geo days, I wonder if its time that SNK followed the ways of 3D fighters such as Virtua fighter and tekken and release a new major update to KOF XII around a year later instead of a full fledged sequal every 2/3 years.

Kikkoken
1166th Post

"Re(4):KOF XII October Thread" , posted Mon 6 Oct 06:19post reply

quote:
Along these lines, I'm glad that by this time none of the cast seems to share their "faces" nor their "skeletons", like half of the cast did in '94.

If Clark makes his way into the game, I really hope he won't share Ralf's skeleton.

Iggy
8691th Post

"Interview translated : KOF XII" , posted Mon 6 Oct 08:27post reply

OK, so I made this very, very fast, so it might be inaccurate from time to time. Sorry for the mistakes and typos.

Mr. Kukino (Producer or KOF XII), NG Hakase (producer of KOF 02UM), the green Yusa, interviewed by a FFL guy named Sashimi

KOF XII
- how much time and work / character ?
K: One person alone would have had to work 16/17 month to create one character. The art director supervised everything, while the staff was divided into teams at each stage of the development. Each character was created by a team of around 10 people.

- How many frames per move/character?
K: it varies greatly, but the most detailed move has around 30 different frames. Each character has between 400 and 600 frames.
Yusa : The total number hasn’t much increased since the neogeo days. Less, and it looks ugly; more, and the balance is destroyed.
Our goal was to rework all the useless moves so they would look more natural, and make everything move smoother. You have to keep the same ratio of frames by character, or it just won’t be KOF anymore. This was the first thing we agreed upon.

- There are less characters then usual, and I guess there were several characters you absolutely wanted but had to remove in the end?
K: We wanted to create the ultimate fighting tool, and we chose the characters accordingly. You’ll see.
Y: Instead of removing character, we created KOF XII as a base that will grow like the older games of the series. It’s not because a character wasn’t chosen this time that he won’t ever appear anymore. Our final goal is to ultimately redraw every single KOF character in this definition.

- The backgrounds are very lively this time. Concept/favorite character?
K: The art director supervised all these as well. He created the sketch, and the staff worked from that base. That’s why they are so great. They move much more than any background until now. Since each one represent a country, each one has a very strong personality.
Y: And your favorite character?
K: We worked a lot on the fat lady in the France stage (w).
Y: what about you, hakase?
NG: the fat lady as well! (w)
K: the concept of this stage is some kind of luxury resort, that’s why the people there are so well fed. Also, the character in the foreground that moves a lot is called “Madame Catherine”… (w).

- Several characters are back to their roots. Will there be characters from old SNK games that are going to appear in a KOF game for the first time?
Y: Well… Raiden, for example.

- Question on the development are over. Now, about the system and the characters.
Will all the characters share the same ending?

K: No story, no individual ending.
Y: As a maker, we WILL finish the Ash storyline. XII is the ultimate fighting tool and a base for future projects, so we worked mostly on the system and the graphics.

Will there be a super gauge?
K: Of course.
Y: We never thought of removing it.

And a combo counter?
K: Of course. (w)

How many alternate colors?
K: 4, but we are still working on it.

What about the super-super moves, MAX supers, MAX2, Leader supers?
K: This time, the usual supers will be the highest damaging moves. No MAX, MAX2 or other.

Will there be visual effects when you finish your opponent with a super?
K: We don’t think so.

Ash moves a lot differently.
K: Ash was quite different from the rest of the cast. We reworked his moves and speech to be more consistent with the rest of the cast.
Y: And he’s not the only one. In older KOFs, even with 40 or 50 characters, the characters that are really used are much fewer. This time, we worked on each of the 20 characters so they each have their own flavor, so they are all used. It’s always sad when nobody use a character. Since we are reworking everything from the beginning, we can change even motions and very tiny detail to make each character everything.

Will you use moves from the KOF MI series?
K: If it blends well with our current engine.
Y: MI is a gaiden for the main series, so it can take a lot of liberties with the story. But we can’t take the risk to mix parallel stories with the main one.

Will the music be made by the same team behind KOF XI?
K: It’s not really a team, we are just using our usual staff. Each stage will have his own 2 BGM.
By the way, the music for the promotion movie is specifically for it. We will let you hear from the actual music of the game later.

Strong attacks and special moves cancel each other. Can you tell us more, or are you still working on this system?
K: Of course we are. It’s a brand new system, and we are trying to make it very easy to pick up. For now, all the moves stronger than a strong attack cancel each other. We will modify it in the final product according to what people think of it.

Why won’t there be actual teams this time?
K: Since we don’t have to create team stories, there was no need for default teams.

How about the ura characters from KOF 98 ? Do you think you might reintroduce them?
K:It’s hard to answer this question, but so far, no.
Y: Some fans from the AM show wanted high resolution and sharp animation, while the other half wanted many characters, even if that meant NG sprites. They wanted to continue to use the characters they invested a lot of effort into.
Our answer to this second half of our fans is the UM series. 98UM already did that, and 02UM is the next step. They are an evolution for the NG sprites. On the other hand, the main series will continue to evolve on the visual side. Since users want different things, we give them the opportunity to chose the one they like the most.

You have changed some of the moves, what made you do this?
K: The moves are part of the flavor of each character. We wanted to make some of them even more memorable and in touch with the character.

There are especially few characters this time; did you fear you may risk to lose some character’s fans?
Y: Of course, and the characters that were left away this time will be reintroduced in the sequels. 98UM and 02UM won’t be their last appearance.

You scheduled a location test in April, but it was canceled, and you stop communicating on the subject for a long time. Could you talk to us about this incident?
Y: We were looking at our rivals’games, as some of us wondered if we should release the game with even fewer characters. But we couldn’t make a KOF with less than 20 characters, so we decided to stop there and add some more. It was far too early to make a location test: the systems were rough, and we still had a lot of work to do. We couldn’t make a location test with such an early product, so we decided to just show our game so far at the AM show.
Our biggest concern was to add as many characters as possible.

Nona is the art director for this game. Did the rest of the staff opposed some of his decisions?
K: He worked on everything, from the characters, the backgrounds, the special effects, up to the selection screen, while the director had the final word. That’s why there was no opposition, but instead he listen to all their opinions, mixed them, and transformed them into graphics, that the director approved to make a real KOF world. Of course, some stuff that didn’t fit in XII were left out.
Y: We worked a lot on the feeling of unity of the world. In XI, you had an opening, character illustrations, main visual, character select, winning art, and each used different arts. We unified this in XII. A weaker graphicer couldn’t homogenize all this, and the strongest artist we had at SNK was obviously Nona. You need a lot of energy, talent and determination for this work, and Nona was the obvious choice.
The sprites used to mix different styles according to the person who draw them, but this time, we work so they all looked coherent with each other.

Walls?
Y: At first, we thought about it, and noticed that in a 2D game, there are walls, but at the same time there aren’t. Bouncing on the wall can look like a bug, and it didn’t fit with our current system.

Last question: Online. Will there be a card system, or an online service?
K: No.
Y: It makes the game more expensive for the operators, and we thought we would be more accepted with a lower cost.

Iggy
8692th Post

"Re(1):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Mon 6 Oct 09:01post reply

KOF 02 UM
- So far, it’s on PS2. No other machine/arcade?
NG: Not for the moment, but it will depends on the answer of the public. My priority here is to make a polished game.
Y: The home version is our priority. We won’t work on any other version until the PS2 version is released.

- How far is it?
NG: Around 65% done. It is playable, and it will be at the TGS.

High resolution like 94RE ?
NG: We thought about it, but no.
Y: We listened to the reactions to 94RE, and most of them was rather negative. That’s why we are doing KOF XII now: 94RE tought them that we had to create our high definition sprites from the start instead of basing them on existing old sprites.

The original 02 is still the most popular game of the series in Japan, and it is still played regularly. How did you try to create a game better than the original?
NG: Each player has his own opinion. We listen to all of them, what we should keep, what we should change or fix, and chose exactly what to do to not destroy the original game. That was our first thought when thinking of new stuff to add.

KOF98UM added several new moves. Will you add some as well? Will you add some moves from 98UM in 02UM?
NG: There will be much more new moves in 02UM than in 98UM.

Will you choose all the characters from 99 to 02, or go back from 94 ?
NG: 02UM will use the Nests chapter as a base, so we chose the characters from 99 to 02.

What about the characters from non KOF games, like in SvC Chaos?
NG: It’s difficult to answer. It’s still a secret… You may be surprised by some of our choices.
Y: … is there hope?
NG: Well… I can’t be more precise before the TGS(w).

If we can use bosses in versus, do you think you will make modify them?
NG: If we do that, of course we will. But if we do, we have to make sure the boss will still have his boss status, and still feel like a boss. We will change them so they can be used, and change not only their move properties, but even their parameters.
Either way, it’s a home version, so you can imagine already (w)

The character from the Eolith era (K9999, Angel, etc) were erased from the Nowave port on Xbox. What about this time?
NG: Well, I see many people wondering about this on the net. I can’t answer now, but at least, what I can say is: the game will have a Neogeo mode like 98UM did, and they will at least be there for sure.

New stages? Returning stages or BGM?
NG: We won’t add new stage as much as creating new stages and BGM from scratch. There won’t be BGM or stages from the past game (s?). Some of the BGM will be arrange versions from famous old BGM.
Y: The strongest point in 02 is its balance. This UM will be built around this, and change the rest. 02 was created in a very difficult time for us, and there are several points that need to be redone.
By the way, Nowave used 02 as a base, but was a totally different game. Basically, 02UM is the 02 we would have created if we were making it now.

What about the most minor characters, like Kyo1 and 2?
NG: I can’t talk about them at this point, but of course, they won’t be left out.

And the characters that were added in the consumer versions, like Shingo, Geese or Saishu?
NG: Some of them may… You will see at the TGS… (w)

If you keep 02 as a base, do you plan to add strikers?
NG: Since it’s the Nests chapter, we could have, but we decided to keep 02 the way it was. No strikers.

How will characters like Foxy or King find their ways into their teams?
NG: There will be different teams and original teams. You’ll see at the TGS.

Ura characters ?
NG: You’ll see, it’s a secret. We haven’t announced anything about the game, and I guess there will be much different questions after the TGS. Please come and play! Also, there will be a 98UM and 02 tournament as well.
Y: And a 02UM tournament?
NG: The 02 tournament will be on 02UM. We’re working hard on it. By the way, like last year, I will be there on the public day to play 1 on 1 against the players and chat with them.
Y: I hope you have your helmet ready…
NG: Please don’t throw eggs at me. It’s against the rules! (w)
But I think the players who like the orientation of the project will be pleased with the game.
Y: As we said earlier, several people want a new game with neogeo sprites. We heard their complains, and we are not going to change everything for the sake of it.

Cain Highwind
788th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Mon 6 Oct 12:53post reply

Wow Iggy you're awesome! Thanks. Good thing TGS is next weekend so we don't have to wait long for 02UM to be revealed. I'm kinda curious by the whole SvC Chaos mention and that "we'll be surprised by their choices". I mean the PS2 port had Goenitz, Geese and Orochi Iori, and was only missing Kasumi. And we know she'll be in because she was in 99 and 2000. Maybe Mr. Karate as an Ura Takuma? Wonder if they'd actually go so far as to add SMK in as a boss.

But still I really enjoyed 98UM, and I've always wanted to see a serious revamping of 2002. The PS2 version got it half right.

Toxico
4491th Post

"Re(3):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Mon 6 Oct 13:31post reply

quote:
But still I really enjoyed 98UM, and I've always wanted to see a serious revamping of 2002. The PS2 version got it half right.

The one thing that I'm actually curious about, is; for example, '98UM took a few things from the "more evolved" '02, as the hit -> roll and the quick MAX.

Now, if we think the "most natural thing" is that '02 needs to "take" something from a more evolved game, but I don't dare to call anything done by imoya 'evolved'... Maybe they'll consider something from nowave? like the just defend, even though it was dull, broken, stupid and boring, taking something from the pasts games would be better, but armor mode was broken as well

I actually expect them to "improve the cast" and perhaps increasing the fun factor for some low tiers and the general cast. I mean, the amount of stuff that they ditched in the NESTS saga is huge, K' & Maxima alone changed their game play (and voice acting for K') in almost every episode of the saga... "All of my hopes, will be for this one".

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

EddyT
771th Post

"Iggy is your God" , posted Mon 6 Oct 18:48post reply

Thank you Iggy for translating the interviews. I am really pumped up for the upcoming KOF games!

I am also glad that they aren't utilizing the card system and decided to make it a lot more affordable for arcade owners. I also don't mind that they will add more characters while keeping the older sprites for the follow-ups to this game. If the game looks as good as it does on the screenshots, I think this look can last for years to come.

mbisonhatclub
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Interview translated : KOF XII" , posted Mon 6 Oct 19:42post reply

quote:

Y: Instead of removing character, we created KOF XII as a base that will grow like the older games of the series. It’s not because a character wasn’t chosen this time that he won’t ever appear anymore. Our final goal is to ultimately redraw every single KOF character in this definition.

Am I reading this right? *Every* single KOF character?

Does this mean...Orochi team? Don't tell me they can't do that because they're dead or at least start being more explicit with exclusions.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

chazumaru
630th Post

"Re(1):Iggy is your dog" , posted Mon 6 Oct 20:42post reply

Thanks Iggy. Although I am sure Guillaume would have done better if he still posted here. Where did that guy go anyway?

quote:

Lots of stuff on XII.

Ah I was quite curious about the absence of the super bar, I was almost hoping it wouldn't be there, just for curiosity's sake. Very interesting point about trying to really make all characters interesting, I guess they got that insipration from GGXX in which almost all characters are played (or so I get the impression) compared to the former KOF games where indeed several characters where left to dust. I also found the argument about the UM series being made for the "other half of KOF players" quite sound and thoughtful, which is a rare sight from SNKP. I am also quite surprised by how much Hakase is involved in the game.

Definitely my most awaited game now, and I had completely dropped interest in KOF in recent years. Weird.

quote:

Lots of stuff on 02UM.

I had no idea 02 outplaced 98 as the favorite KOF. Not that it is very surprising.

quote:

If Clark makes his way into the game, I really hope he won't share Ralf's skeleton.

Clark is in the game. He is inside Ralf.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Yamazaki_RJ
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Interview translated : KOF XII" , posted Mon 6 Oct 20:57post reply

Thanks, Iggy.

quote:

Does this mean...Orochi team? Don't tell me they can't do that because they're dead or at least start being more explicit with exclusions.

This final goal can be achieved in more 4 versions of the game. Maybe in KOF XIV we'll see a incredible roster.
Or maybe a Orochi Team in KOF XII's home versions...

D`Cloud
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Iggy is your dog" , posted Mon 6 Oct 20:57:post reply

quote:

Ralf ate Clark!

http://www.dustinuy.com

[this message was edited by D`Cloud on Mon 6 Oct 20:58]

kofoguz
632th Post

"Re(2):Iggy is your dog" , posted Tue 7 Oct 00:15post reply

quote:

Lol its a good one.
I wonder how sprites look like I didnt play 98'UM yet so I cant imagine. Cant wait this weekend.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

shin ramberk
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Iggy is your dog" , posted Tue 7 Oct 01:30post reply

I like how the explained KOFXII is a new system/game and KOF02UM is for the folks who want to stay with the old system and giant cast. Best of both worlds. Now if only fans could just realize that HD sprites don't magically appear out of thin air.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Digitalboy
565th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Iggy is your dog" , posted Tue 7 Oct 01:37post reply

Dear kind sir, HD sprites comes from magical pixies dust from the Land of Happiness and Joy. And I know because I am a professional.
quote:
Now if only fans could just realize that HD sprites don't magically appear out of thin air.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Iggy
8693th Post

"Re(2):Iggy is your dog" , posted Tue 7 Oct 02:39post reply

quote:

Well, the original text said "all the neo geo characters" or something like that, and I'm too bored to check. I assumed he meant "the KOF characters with the old NG style", not every single character from every single neo geo game... but then, who knows.
Of course, this is their ultimate goal, that will be achieved around 2085, for KOF XLVIII.
In other words, it's a manner of speaking, or a way to say "no character is being shot down forever".

quote:
Thanks Iggy. Although I am sure Guillaume would have done better if he still posted here. Where did that guy go anyway?

Hint : He was the sexiest of our duo, and I look like Ralf now. Figure.

Ishmael
3301th Post

"Re(3):Iggy is your dog" , posted Tue 7 Oct 04:26post reply

Thanks for all the info!

I'm surprised to learn that 02UM has come so far. When it was first announced I simply assumed we wouldn't hear any more about it until 2012 or some other far off date. Was 98UM such a hit that SNK wanted to keep the update train going? Also, when did 02 become the most popular KoF? Yes, the obvious answer is "sometime after 2002" but I had thought that KoF's popularity had spiked at some point before that. Is there a bit of interview hyperbole going on or did SNK's flagship title have its finest moment under Eolith?

Sorry if I seem to be spitting out nothing but questions but it's sometimes hard to get straight answers about KoF since there's very little official information in English and the fan base can sometimes get a bit carried away and not give the most accurate of information.

Shindekudasai
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Iggy is your dog" , posted Tue 7 Oct 04:34:post reply

I'm not surprised at all. 2002 had shitty presentation but entrancing gameplay. In my eyes it's certainly the most worthy of an update. New music, backgrounds, and characters? It'll trounce '03 and might even beat out XI. And who knows, they might even bring back the sprites from 2000 for characters that got wonky palletes in '01 (like Vanessa) and fix up the charas that debuted that way (like K9999 and his funky black outlines).

[this message was edited by Shindekudasai on Tue 7 Oct 04:40]

Iggy
8694th Post

"Re(5):Iggy is your dog" , posted Tue 7 Oct 05:38post reply

The first thing they changed in 02UM is the logo.
So much better. I have high expectations for this fixed 02.

Gojira
2461th Post

"Re(2):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Tue 7 Oct 07:59post reply

quote:
KOF 02 UM
The character from the Eolith era (K9999, Angel, etc) were erased from the Nowave port on Xbox. What about this time?
NG: Well, I see many people wondering about this on the net. I can’t answer now, but at least, what I can say is: the game will have a Neogeo mode like 98UM did, and they will at least be there for sure.

I love that lukewarm response. It really gives me the impression that they're not going to have the Eolith characters in this version.

shipoopi

Iggy
8695th Post

"Re(3):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Tue 7 Oct 09:19post reply

quote:
I love that lukewarm response. It really gives me the impression that they're not going to have the Eolith characters in this version.

Actually, the only problem is K9999. Mei-Lee and Angel have appeared in various other games, and Foxy appeared in KOF 2000.
Makes me wonder what will happen to Kaned... Kusanagi. Especially if Kyo1/2 do come back.

Toxico
4493th Post

"Re(4):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Tue 7 Oct 10:13:post reply

quote:
Actually, the only problem is K9999. Mei-Lee and Angel have appeared in various other games, and Foxy appeared in KOF 2000.

For those who don't really understand, there it was never a "license" issue, the only problem was SNK loathing everyone that eolith worked on minus Angel (and it seems Kusanagi as well).

For example, K49 can be found in SNK site, and you don't see any eolith logo anywhere. If my nihongo is not as stinking as my feet, they said how the character wasn't so unpopular, but as producers they always have a tasty and cripsy fear of lawsuits.

Within that perspective, there is no point in adding K9999 in one "part" of the port and not the "other" one.

quote:
Makes me wonder what will happen to Kaned... Kusanagi. Especially if Kyo1/2 do come back.

The game has 3 clones? o gosh, I wonder what they could do with that? Also, recently I feel like the next main must be a punk Kyo clone who calls himself Syo Kirishima.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Tue 7 Oct 11:23]

Phoenix
895th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Tue 7 Oct 15:42post reply

So K9999, Angel, May Lee, Foxy? etc. was never a legal issue but SNKP just hating on Eolith era characters?

How can they say they'll strive to include all the NESTS characters and then imply that some will only make it to the Neo Geo mode?

ILLOGICAL. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

kofoguz
633th Post

"Re(6):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Tue 7 Oct 23:53post reply

quote:
So K9999, Angel, May Lee, Foxy? etc. was never a legal issue but SNKP just hating on Eolith era characters?

How can they say they'll strive to include all the NESTS characters and then imply that some will only make it to the Neo Geo mode?

ILLOGICAL. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

FOXY ISN'T EOLITH ERA CHARACTER. YOU CAN FIND HER 2000. So she's a Snk design at the first place. But that Eolith bastards get their characters kill her. That must be why, they hate K9999, and Angel 8).

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Iggy
8696th Post

"Re(5):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Tue 7 Oct 23:58post reply

quote:
they said how the character wasn't so unpopular, but as producers they always have a tasty and cripsy fear of lawsuits.

Indeed. Tetsuo is a real problem.

shin ramberk
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 00:11:post reply

quote:
The game has 3 clones? o gosh, I wonder what they could do with that? Also, recently I feel like the next main must be a punk Kyo clone who calls himself Syo Kirishima.

Lol. "Kyo Clone Team." Maybe, Kyo, Iori and K' can form a "Washed Up Former Hero Team."

quote:

Indeed. Tetsuo is a real problem.

Why did Eolith even have to create this character. I'm sure they thought it was a cute idea at the time. Maybe funny. Maybe original. Maybe interesting.

Not really.

Which new NESTS saga characters actually made it into 03/XI? K', Maxima, Kula, Whip and...?

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

[this message was edited by shin ramberk on Wed 8 Oct 00:15]

Toxico
4496th Post

"Re(6):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 00:31:post reply

quote:
Which new NESTS saga characters actually made it into 03/XI? K', Maxima, Kula, Whip and...?

Kusanagi, Diana (Kula's taunts) and Foxy (Kula vs Maxima intro)(who actually survived that surprise attack).

Words from the staff, and proof that Foxy is alive and kicking

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 8 Oct 02:11]

Just a Person
1231th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 02:00post reply

quote:
FOXY ISN'T EOLITH ERA CHARACTER. YOU CAN FIND HER 2000. So she's a Snk design at the first place. But that Eolith bastards get their characters kill her. That must be why, they hate K9999, and Angel 8).

But... she wasn't killed, was she? She was stabbed or something like that, but I don't remember Kula or anyone stating that she died. So she may have survived (and since she appears in one of Kula's intro in KoF XI, I guess she did survive).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

NARUTO
3682th Post

"Re(7):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 03:23post reply

quote:

same goes for angel since she was already shown in the KOF 2000 mook as a project characters. Her clothes was a little bit different and her name was "speatnaz" at this time Eolith just finished her.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Phoenix
896th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(8):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 03:46post reply

All the more reason for them to be included.

Iggy
8698th Post

"Re(9):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 04:11post reply

quote:
All the more reason for them to be included.

E.x.a.c.t.l.y, the only question mark is K9999.

crazymike
1473th Post

"Re(10):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 11:25post reply

KOF 2002 UM seems kind of pointless, wasn't the selling point of 98 is we got to see the boss team come back and Goenitz and Orochi finally playable, not to mention 98 is universally loved?

Tai-Pan
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 11:31post reply

quote:
KOF 2002 UM seems kind of pointless, wasn't the selling point of 98 is we got to see the boss team come back and Goenitz and Orochi finally playable, not to mention 98 is universally loved?

Sure but he mentions that 2002 is still very popular in Japan.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Toxico
4496th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 12:05post reply

I have been waiting for a long time for a talk such as this to pop up, so I would gladly heed the words of the usual knowledgable fashion cops and the regular audience in this matter

quote:

In asia and other parts '02 is a was and perhaps is a huge success. Your argument sounds like it comes from a point of view where '98 is more loved, better and famous than '02... It is for some, but not for evertone, so that's a misconception (I have seen it a lot in US circles, where they even wrote in de US wikipedia that '02 was bad, jaja).

Now, you need to realize some points before making a call on this game...

First let's think: Why was '98UM made? just by reading the reports from the shows, Iggy's and brandons and exo tan comments about the interviews and seeing the staff screen from the game, one can realize that '98UM was not the "colective efforts" and "desires" of Imoya, but rather the single handly witch hunt akin struggle of one man.

Why did he make the game? Only his wet pillow and God knows, but I would venture to say that it was because, 1.- He loved the game, and more importantly, 2.- there it was no other KoF game in close sight.

What happened when '98UM came out? In the arcades, at least, enjoyed from more success that Imoya predicted. And what happens with that? Well, that the producer (Hakase) perhaps now enjoys from more support from the company, so my guess is that while he has this unusual Boost he wants to make a quick run for it and push the next game prior to '12 and a mountain of planning mishaps.

Is this game necessary? Well, one can say that '98 is the best, while the others don't and that's the whole point, missing characters and concepts from '02 left out a good numbers of fans out in the blue, in orther to try to fulfil the bill for both, those fans and the fans that where pleased with '98UM a new game with fixes, adds and more characters is being created. Also, don't go thinking that the game will be released within this year and will colide with the "coolness" of '98UM, from the previous interview, it seems that the game will come out close to XII in the best case of events

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Count Hihihi
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 14:35post reply

quote:

In asia and other parts '02 is a was and perhaps is a huge success. Your argument sounds like it comes from a point of view where '98 is more loved, better and famous than '02... It is for some, but not for evertone, so that's a misconception (I have seen it a lot in US circles, where they even wrote in de US wikipedia that '02 was bad, jaja).

At least a year ago cabinets with '02 outnumbered cabinets with '98 in HK when I was there.. ..but this is just going to be a PS2 release, right?

Spoon
1636th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Wed 8 Oct 17:09post reply

The arcades around here that are still frequented by KOF players see a lot of KOF2k2 play. There's no doubt that it's the top KOF around here.

98UM... not so much. In fact, I'm not sure if more people play 98UM or plain 98.

crazymike
1475th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Interview translated : KOF 02UM" , posted Thu 9 Oct 10:20post reply

I'm not denying KOF2k's popularity, but there was stuff you could add to 98, what can you really add to 2002? Lame characters like Bao? They are best left forgotten.

Toxico
4500th Post

"Original Character" , posted Thu 9 Oct 10:48:post reply

Pic one

Pic two

I wasn't trying to steal more pics, but Iggy san must get his sexy lips moving as quickly as possible

Edit: Changed the links with pics that are equally small, but clearer.

Also, if they ARE willing to making sprites for this game, I wonder what other bonanzas we might get... A Zero that can Crouch? Playable Ron? (voice acting for him & Krizalid where inside the 2001 ROM, but sprites wheren't) Playable Diana? Even the freaking Lion & Parrot?? A young Geese that doesn't look like crap? Shingo clones? while the questions just continue to grow, I can only truthfuly state that 'me wants'

New edit : While fooling around, I found this And made me wonder of SNKs mishaps while taking ideas from mugen.

Another edit, Kasumi confirmed, it seems.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 9 Oct 15:48]

Gojira
2465th Post

"Re(1):Original Character" , posted Thu 9 Oct 11:00post reply

quote:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/80/famitsu29ltf8.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6363/famitsu28lpb5.jpg

I wasn't trying to steal more pics, but Iggy san must get his sexy lips moving as quickly as posible

Non-SSJ version of Krizalid?

shipoopi

Evenor
670th Post

"Re(1):Original Character" , posted Thu 9 Oct 11:02:post reply

quote:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/80/famitsu29ltf8.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6363/famitsu28lpb5.jpg

I wasn't trying to steal more pics, but Iggy san must get his sexy lips moving as quickly as posible

Everything looks cute! Like GBA cute! I am really excited in hopefully seeing previously weak characters moved around in the tiers (SSS Hinako/Seth please). As for the new character, I think he might just be krizalid.

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

[this message was edited by Evenor on Thu 9 Oct 11:03]

Shindekudasai
293th Post

Copper Customer

"Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Thu 9 Oct 12:47:post reply

Yay! Krizalid was mad cool, so great if he's in (so long as he's not there to replace K9999). In the 2nd image with Kyo's Orochinagi eating Iori's Yamibarai (or is that a Ya Sakazuki? He didn't have that in '02...). We've got new characters, new lifebars, new portraits, a guard guage, and possibly more moves for existing fighters. I think we're off to a great start.

edit: apparently word is there'll be 66 fighters? Sixty-fucking-six?! That's nuts! Now if my stoner memory hasn't failed me (again) the arcade had 44 and the PS2 had 49? Sorry to clog the page but I need to see this in print to process correctly...

1. Kyo
2. Benimaru
3. Daimon

4. Terry
5. Andy
6. Joe

7. Ryo
8. Robert
9. Takuma

10. Yuri
11. May Lee
12. Mai

13. Ralf
14. Clark
15. Leona

16. Athena
17. Kensou
18. Chin

19. Kim
20. Chang
21. Choi

22. Mary
23. Billy
24. Yamazaki

25. Yashiro
26. Shermie
27. Chris

28. Seth
29. Vanessa
30. Ramon

31. K9999
32. Angel
33. Kula

34. K'
35. Maxima
36. Whip

37. Iori
38. Mature
39. Vice

40. Kusanagi
41. Rugal
42. Shingo
43. King
44. Geese
45. Goenitz
46. Orochi Iori

47. Orochi Yashiro
48. Orochi Shermie
49. Orochi Chris

50. Heidern
51. Bao
52. Lin
53. Kasumi
54. Xiang-Fei
55. Hinako
56. Foxy
57. Jhun
58. Krizalid
59. Nanashi (the new guy)
60. Diana? (wouldn't be THAT much of a stretch)
61. Saisyu? (Since Neo-Wave is an '02 update)
62. Young Geese? (see above)
63-66. Zero, O. Zero, Igniz, & Ron? EX Charas? Moe? Miu? Jun? Reiji? (they were designed by Hiroaki during the NESTS years after all...)

Did I miss anyone from the NESTS arc?

Also: cameos abound! 1st image: Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon behind Kula. Chick in the white gi behind K' had a BRIEF cameo in one of the Real Bouts (a special win animation for Kim or something - I know I've seen her before). 2nd image: Chizuru behind Kyo's Orochinagi.

[this message was edited by Shindekudasai on Thu 9 Oct 13:26]

Count Hihihi
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Thu 9 Oct 15:52post reply

Yeah, so I thought the original character was for XII. What a let down.

Maybe 2K2UM needs its own thread?

quote:

50. Heidern

Wouldn't mind that.

Yamazaki_RJ
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Thu 9 Oct 20:51post reply

quote:
Also: cameos abound! 1st image: Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon behind Kula. Chick in the white gi behind K' had a BRIEF cameo in one of the Real Bouts (a special win animation for Kim or something - I know I've seen her before). 2nd image: Chizuru behind Kyo's Orochinagi.

In a Jae Hoon's win pose from Garou, I guess.

badoor
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Thu 9 Oct 21:09post reply

New video with raiden

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21952

Ishmael
3306th Post

"Re(3):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Thu 9 Oct 21:54:post reply

quote:
New video with raiden

Wow, Raiden looks pretty good. Now there's something you don't hear everyday.
EDIT: In-game pics of Iori and Andy at Famitsu.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Thu 9 Oct 22:11]

Freeter
4429th Post

"Re(4):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 04:11post reply

quote:
In-game pics of Iori and Andy at Famitsu.

Why does Iori look like a hunchback?

Toxico
4504th Post

"Re(4):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 04:15:post reply

It seems that following the rumors, Iori fights witout flames using a new "nanto roku sei ken" game play style.

Also, 1up has 1000 x 700 resolution shots, that really show how the game looks like.

Andy legs look fat I wonder if this is the Guilliame -> Iggy effect.

edit

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 10 Oct 04:20]

Shindekudasai
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 04:33post reply

Looks like he plays like Freeman now. Interesting. They're saying his DM is still the Yaotome, just that the finisher is now the backwards-leaning X-strike in the big pic above.

Ishmael
3308th Post

"Re(5):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 04:40post reply

Now I understand why Kyo went back to his 95 moveset; he and Iori were exchanging fighting styles.

I rather like the Egyptian themed background where someone is sitting on a throne built out of the KoF logo. Does anybody who enters a KoF tournament nowadays expect it to be a regular fighting competition or has everyone accepted the idea that at some point they will end up in another dimension or shot off in a space blimp?

quote:

Andy legs look fat I wonder if this is the Guilliame -> Iggy effect.

Poor Andy. His dad wears puffy pants all the time but nobody accuses Geese of having fat legs.

Variable Savior
447th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 05:23post reply

quote:
Does anybody who enters a KoF tournament nowadays expect it to be a regular fighting competition or has everyone accepted the idea that at some point they will end up in another dimension or shot off in a space blimp?

I had a similiar thought the other day while playing XI. The characters are always so surprised to find that the tournament finale site was destroyed by the (a) boss. They should have a KoF where the characters are shocked that the finale site was left intact...

Blood marks heaven's path

Spoon
1638th Post

"Re(7):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 05:36post reply

quote:
They should have a KoF where the characters are shocked that the finale site was left intact...

Maybe they were shocked that after more than 10 years of this tournament, somebody is STILL hung up on destroying the arena.

Evenor
672th Post

"Re(8):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 09:18post reply

Here's a short video of Iori gameplay taken from cyberfanatix.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=gNjPsd8J1RI

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Baines
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 15:53post reply

[quoteI had a similiar thought the other day while playing XI. The characters are always so surprised to find that the tournament finale site was destroyed by the (a) boss. They should have a KoF where the characters are shocked that the finale site was left intact...

That could be a story for KOF XII.

You battle through a regular tournament. You face a regular boss (maybe Adel or even just another team.) You win.

And your team ending is made up of your characters panicking in different ways.

Kyo can shove people out of the way, screaming for them to get to safety before some ancient god attacks. Ralf can panic, thinking that Leona is about to go Riot of Blood on him. Terry can Buster Wolf the trophy girl when she approaches. Andy can complain that he got to show up, but it was only a dream match game.

Iron D
3031th Post

"Re(4):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 16:55post reply

quote:
New video with raiden

Wow, Raiden looks pretty good. Now there's something you don't hear everyday.
EDIT: In-game pics of Iori and Andy at Famitsu.

It's really friggin' cool to see Raiden back in action. I always felt he was criminally under appreciated. And if SNK eventually brings back Griffin Mask/Tizoc in future KoFs we'll finally be able to play out Raiden vs. GM instead of just looking at a piece of artwork of it.

Er.....

Ikari Loona
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 21:24post reply

quote:

In a Jae Hoon's win pose from Garou, I guess.

Nope, you're talking about the girl in pink that gives Jae Hoon water (I don't recall her name right now...).

The girl in the cameo that was mentioned indeed shows up in a special Kim winpose in RBS:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/sibdb3/sonota.html

Dunno if she's supposed to be that Alice girl that's been popping up in a few things, like the FF pachiko, one of the Days of Memories games or Chae Lim's backstory for KoF MI2...

Toxico
4509th Post

"Re(3):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Fri 10 Oct 23:31post reply

High def video 1

High def video 2

These come from Cyberfanatix, we can se high def official art there as well.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Shindekudasai
305th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Intense Analysis (sorry everyone)" , posted Sat 11 Oct 01:41post reply

Oh, WOW. I didn't realize the game was that fast.

Shindekudasai
307th Post

Bronze Customer

"Andy vid" , posted Sat 11 Oct 03:41post reply

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_9000_en.html
(he's in round 2)

Toxico
4513th Post

"More vids" , posted Sat 11 Oct 12:29post reply

Cyberfanatix Updated with a youtube video of the SNK TGS boot, and a bunch of HD cam kof XII vids.

They also updated vids for 02UM, but it is nothing really new.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Pollyanna
2571th Post

"Re(1):More vids" , posted Sat 11 Oct 13:07post reply

It's odd, but with their new looks, I don't feel like Athena and Ralph's voices match anymore. Not like they should have new VAs, just that they shouldn't be exactly the same.

I would say "maybe they're just plugging in old sound files", but Terry is definitely different.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3313th Post

"Re(1):Andy vid" , posted Sun 12 Oct 03:55post reply

quote:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_9000_en.html
(he's in round 2)

Judging from that video Andy is going to be able to do crouching kicks like a wild man.

Shindekudasai
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Andy vid" , posted Sun 12 Oct 06:44post reply

Psycho Calibur @ snk-capcom.com provided this link to the updated intro/presentation thing vid with Iori, Raiden and Andy added, it shows Andy off quite a bit better (although I still think he'll be a bit boring).

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HX84gNZ5VCI

Ishmael
3314th Post

"Re(3):Andy vid" , posted Mon 13 Oct 04:15post reply

quote:
Psycho Calibur @ snk-capcom.com provided this link to the updated intro/presentation thing vid with Iori, Raiden and Andy added, it shows Andy off quite a bit better (although I still think he'll be a bit boring).

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=HX84gNZ5VCI

Was anybody demanding a return of FF2 Andy? I've long felt that SNK noodles too much with the moves of their characters for no real reason but Andy was one of the characters I thought they had managed to evolve into having a more interesting play style. Then again, he also became a more inconsistent character. When I mention later versions of Andy there's no way to tell if I am referring to FF3 Andy, KoF00 Andy, RB2 Andy... yeesh. Perhaps FF2 Andy won out because nobody could agree on what subsequent version of Andy to use.

Speaking of changing moves, did Leona toss out an X-Calibur at the end of her combo in that video?

shindekudasai
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Andy vid" , posted Mon 13 Oct 05:57post reply

Yeah, but I thought that was pretty much standard in the old games. 2-hit D, f+B, any air move.

Amakusa
776th Post

"Re(4):Andy vid" , posted Tue 14 Oct 07:32post reply

quote:

Was anybody demanding a return of FF2 Andy? I've long felt that SNK noodles too much with the moves of their characters for no real reason but Andy was one of the characters I thought they had managed to evolve into having a more interesting play style. Then again, he also became a more inconsistent character. When I mention later versions of Andy there's no way to tell if I am referring to FF3 Andy, KoF00 Andy, RB2 Andy... yeesh. Perhaps FF2 Andy won out because nobody could agree on what subsequent version of Andy to use.

I didn't start using Andy until KOF'99, and I know they changed him around in that from the previous games.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Toxico
4521th Post

"Interview" , posted Wed 15 Oct 23:00post reply

cyberfantix updated an interview with Nona and some of the seiyuus of the game.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Toxico
4532th Post

"Beta?" , posted Wed 5 Nov 02:38:post reply

While resting from my completely insane effort to translate absolutely every character speech in the saga I decided to check out the newly updated SNK site (and see if the 2k2 site was updated again).

To my surprise, while playing around, the staff seems to be speaking of another new public exposure for our hi res tan, within this month

Obscene Voodoo dance teleport

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 5 Nov 02:41]

Toxico
4553th Post

"Famitsu...." , posted Thu 27 Nov 10:09:post reply

... Offers two interesting features:

One is an article about the new game feature, critical counter

The other one is live coverage on this coming game event It's seems that needs subscription and IE, I haven't bothered to check.

Obscene Voodoo Dance Teleport

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 27 Nov 12:46]

Professor
2519th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 00:47:post reply

@Japanese arcade site Kobayan.

So that leaves how many more characters.. 3? Elisabeth is expected. K' is a possibility from the KOF logo on the game's previous leaflet. So that leaves room for one unhinted character...

Direct links:

Lord Goro
Alcoholic
Old OLD Costume

Bigger pics (copy and paste or you'll get non-worksafe ads with the link at the bottom.)
http://paint.s13.dxbeat.com/up/src/paint_12705.jpg
http://paint.s13.dxbeat.com/up/src/paint_12706.jpg

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 28 Nov 01:30]

catalyst
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 01:00:post reply

After adding those 3, I believe one more professor according what Iggy mentioned in his opening post.

Not sure if that is including a boss character of some sort.

edit: My mistake two more actually since Goro was already confirmed ahead of time.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Fri 28 Nov 01:02]

Grave
1152th Post

"Re(1):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 01:00post reply

Yeah! Kensou rocking the Psycho Soldier look too. Awesome.

catalyst
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 01:06post reply

Professor, last two links for the bigger pictures lead to a nsfw page. Not that I am complaining but yeah not the bigger intended picture.

This song is so true

Professor
2519th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 01:28:post reply

quote:
Professor, last two links for the bigger pictures lead to a nsfw page. Not that I am complaining but yeah not the bigger intended picture.

Looks like linking to it brings up a work-unsafe ad page with the file at the bottom, thanks for telling me.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 28 Nov 01:31]

Iggy
8737th Post

"Re(3):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 02:10post reply

Chin !???!!
I was sure he would be left out once again !

I have no idea who in the world uses him beside me, but I'm sooo glad to have at least one of my characters in the game !
[totally non obscene dance which doesn't teleport me anywhere).

Still, that's an odd choice of characters (if we take K' as granted, which he may not be)...
Only 3.5 girls out of 20 characters? And even beside the obvious hormonal factor, some characters archetypes are left out: No Mai, whose gameplay can be focused in tricky air-game ? No Counter-based character, like Kasumi ? Only one grappler (Goro), and no fast one like Mary ? No Vanessa, who could be either very combo-oriented or made into an evasion-teleport tricky character ? To say nothing of the three Orochi girls, who are probably left out for the next dream match...
Still, that's a huge risk to take for such an important game (business-wise).

Oh, well. I have Chin, I have no right to complain either way.

[first post updated]

karasu99
13th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 02:40post reply

quote:
Still, that's an odd choice of characters (if we take K' as granted, which he may not be)...
Only 3.5 girls out of 20 characters?

I suppose it's still possible that there may be more than 20 characters in the final version-- perhaps there will be time release like in XI? Eh, who knows. The lack of females is notable, now that you mention it.

I have to say, after the bulking up that Ralf received and the presence of a big guy like Raiden, I'm very happy that they have made Goro suitably big. I hope that he compares favorably to Raiden.

And yeah, good look for Kensou. Even though he's had a slight retooling over the years, his outfit hasn't changed significantly since '94.

Count Hihihi
147th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 02:49post reply

I'm happy about all these inclusions, but especially about Kensou. That's the kind of a design I like to see in a fighting game. It's not too detailed or silly!

Variable Savior
452th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 03:20post reply

quote:

Only one grappler (Goro)

Well, there's Raiden - who I'd assume would at least be a semi grappler.

Shin ATproof
1224th Post

"Re(5):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 04:49post reply

Psycho Soldier Kensou is sort of expected given how Athena looks in this game. Although I expected him to return in the next game.

Still...hope Mai is in there and that SNKP either adds Joe, Yuri or King.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Time Mage
2728th Post

"Re(1):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 05:37post reply

Wow! I love the additions, and I love their designs, too!

I was also worried about Goro not being massive enough when compared to Ralf and Raiden, but it looks like he'll live to his nickname of Goro "The Wall" Daimon. Good!

Also, Iggy, while I don't use the old man, I really appreciate his addition, since his annoying gameplay is to me a very important part of KOF. Well, I know that I'll complain about that cheap #&x$!@ old man once one of my friends starts being unbelievably cheap with him, but... That's KOF!

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Maese Spt
452th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 15:25post reply

Strange, I didn't care much about KOF lately, but I am liking quite a lot everything I see about this one.

I am not fond of Chin, Goro nor Kensou, but I'm glad they're in, because now the game feels more like "classic" KOF (if there's such a thing!). And the designs are really nice, specially Kensou's. Now I only hope they would include King, Mai or Vanessa into the lot. And maybe give more love to Kyokugenryuu guys too, but that's just a very personal preference.

Gosh, I can't believe I managed to make a post about KOF without any ranting part in it! I'm growing old...

Pollyanna
2599th Post

"Re(5):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 15:54post reply

quote:

Only one grappler (Goro)

Well, I mean...what defines a grappler? KOF has tons of characters with command throws and tons of wrestling-type characters with a wide variety of useful non-throw moves.

Anyway, I'm happy Kensou is in. I always liked his fighting style and I'm looking forward to seeing him in HD. Unfortunately (for me), I'm sure it will be "old style" Kensou, though I'm hoping either the hop punch and/or the throw super will make it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Zepy
1514th Post

"Re(3):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 16:05post reply

quote:
Looks like linking to it brings up a work-unsafe ad page with the file at the bottom, thanks for telling me.

Those last two links are only viewable through Japanese IPs I think, or you get redirected to a porn affiliate site.

Also I like Kensou's look, I guess they're getting rid of that image of him being a joke character now.

Gojira
2490th Post

"Re(6):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 18:31post reply

quote:

Only one grappler (Goro)

Well, I mean...what defines a grappler? KOF has tons of characters with command throws and tons of wrestling-type characters with a wide variety of useful non-throw moves.

Good question, actually. I think a pure grappler type in general terms is just a character you don't want to get close to, at least not without an advantage. Usually a grappler's ranged attacks are designed to get him/her closer, rather than being safe or pushing away the opponent. KoF is full of hybrid types like Ramon, who is both a grappler and a flying type, or Mary who is only sometimes a grappler (depending on the version) and more of a combo striker, but Goro has been one of the few pure grapplers. Raiden on the other hand hasn't been so much a grappler as a really powerful striker in most incarnations, and I haven't seen anything in his XII footage that says otherwise.

shipoopi

Ikari Loona
237th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 20:54post reply

quote:
Also I like Kensou's look, I guess they're getting rid of that image of him being a joke character now.

I've had this notions for years that Kensou would be shown as maturing when he finally switched from using shorts to pants, and developments in the plot since 99 have been asking for it - I just level really expected them to do that with his old platformer look.
It seems odd to see him in green, but it could be that they pulled it off well, can't wait to see the videos and alternate palettes.

The next KoF with plot is lookng very very promising indeed - it took KoF 1 year to openly turn Kyo into a protagonist (94 was mostly promoted as a FF/AoF crossover), but I wonder now if Kensou will end up getting the longest road to game protagonist ever, from playing 2nd banana to Athena in the 8-bit age to eventually becoming the center of a KoF arc - KoF is getting a major change at the same time as he is, can't wait to see if it's coincidental...

Iggy
8739th Post

"Re(5):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 21:21post reply

Problem : Kensou can never develop into a serious protagonist since he would then probably get closer to Athena and Athena can't have a boyfriend she's a pure idol and nobody has the right to touch her besides me.

Toxico
4554th Post

"Re(6):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 21:30post reply

quote:
Problem : Kensou can never develop into a serious protagonist since he would then probably get closer to Athena and Athena can't have a boyfriend she's a pure idol and nobody has the right to touch her besides me.

You sound like Jaja's manager

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Variable Savior
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Fri 28 Nov 21:57:post reply

quote:

IMO a grappler is a character whose gameplay revolves around the use of command throws. Such character often have non-command throw specials/supers but like Gojira points out they usually serve to advance the character to command throw range (i.e. Zangief's spinning clothline and banishing flat, Potemkin's hopping punch move). Examples of such grapplers would be Zangief, Potemkin, Clark, Goro, and (IMO) Alex.

Other character types are what I'd call semi-grapplers - fighters whose gameplay is split between command throws and normal specials. I'd say the distinction for semis is particularly in the eye of the beholder but for me, semi-grapplers include characters like Sodom and CvS Raiden.

Then we have characters with command throws whose gameplay isn't necessarily focused on those moves - I don't consider them grapplers at all. Examples include Karin, Mary, and Yamazaki.

Mind you these opinions are based on my skill level which is signficantly less then tournament caliber. Perhaps the classifications would change in the hands of a 'professional'.

quote:

Raiden on the other hand hasn't been so much a grappler as a really powerful striker in most incarnations, and I haven't seen anything in his XII footage that says otherwise.

Yeah I didn't see anything in the footage either (hence the assume). But if he's anything like his CvS incarnation he might help address the grappler shortage Iggy mentioned.

[this message was edited by Variable Savior on Fri 28 Nov 21:59]

NARUTO
3687th Post

"Re(8):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Sat 29 Nov 05:06post reply

with Chin in the game I have now a good reason to play it....

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Ishmael
3347th Post

"Re(9):Goro, Chin, Kensou confirmed" , posted Sat 29 Nov 05:44post reply

It looks like Goro can barely get that trunk of a body into his pants. Still, I'm glad to see the big guy made the roster. But the big surprise is that Chin managed to stumble his way in. Although I stink with him I've always appreciated that he is a break from the norm without being as teeth-gratingly annoying as Chang and Choi.

Professor
2521th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Duolong, Clark, Joe Higashi" , posted Sat 29 Nov 14:18:post reply

Are the remaining 3 characters, according to attendees of the game's premire event. Clark is as massive as Ralf.

Big surprise that Elisabeth is not in the roster.. perhaps a middle boss?

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 29 Nov 14:24]

Toxico
4557th Post

"博士 ♥" , posted Sat 29 Nov 16:28:post reply

quote:
Are the remaining 3 characters, according to attendees of the game's premire event. Clark is as massive as Ralf.

It's funny how after scheming for hours on jp sites, the answer comes from the most obvious place

I'm a predator on heat

EDIT : youtube strikes whike the Iron is hot

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 29 Nov 16:32]

Freeter
4435th Post

"barf" , posted Sat 29 Nov 17:36post reply

quote:
Clark is as massive as Ralf.

They ate Chang and used Choi to clean their teeth. Poor Kim...

Nekros
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Duolong, Clark, Joe Higashi" , posted Sat 29 Nov 19:34post reply

quote:

I think they changed a lot of ideas and rewrite the game plot, making a dreammatch instead. So, Elisabeth's presence may be considered useless and SNKP is caring only about most requested (or "famous") characters to be in the game.

Time Mage
2729th Post

"Re(2):Duolong, Clark, Joe Higashi" , posted Sat 29 Nov 19:58post reply

quote:
I think they changed a lot of ideas and rewrite the game plot, making a dreammatch instead. So, Elisabeth's presence may be considered useless and SNKP is caring only about most requested (or "famous") characters to be in the game.

That's what I think. Maybe she has a chance as mid/final boss, but right now that's her only hope.

Regarding the final additions, Joe bores me in KOF, but I like Clark (although I'd prefer him to be a bit more "classy", as the old Clark was, specially in comparison to Ralf), and Duo Long is a design I always liked, even if I'm horrible at using him.

And I'm REALLY, REALLY surprised that Mai isn't there.

Hungrywolf
3139th Post

"Re(3):Duolong, Clark, Joe Higashi" , posted Thu 4 Dec 09:08post reply

No Blue Mary or Mai when they finally change the look? :(

I couldn't even get Blue Mary in CvS2, I at least was expecting her to show up here since she was in KoF XI. Oh well, maybe in the next one.