The TV shows Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2179 Views )

Iggy
8674th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 06:45post reply

I thought we had one. We should have one. And now we do!

What do you think was interesting in last season? What new series seem interesting?

In Japan, now that Code Geass R2 ended in a less-pathetic-than-the-last-episodes-but-still-utterly-disappointing-after-the-incredible-30-first-episodes fashion, I think my favourite was the Compilation des faits improbables de Ryoko Yakushiji or whatever the official title was. I'll talk about this later.

The Golgo 13 series is surprisingly good and faithful to the original (down to the design or the sex scenes). The actor (not VA) of Golgo is great, and everyone involved seems to understand the character perfectly. A few weeks ago, we even had a fight against a baddie voiced by Wakamoto! And even better, the series goes on for another season.

Unfortunately, the new Cobra series is not as good. The use of random 3D objects in the most bizarre places seems really weird, I have a problem with the shades on the skin of the female characters (and only there, it's very strange) and most of all, the voice actor of Cobra alone makes the character sound like a total jerk.

The first OAD of Zetsubo Sensei will be released in a few weeks. Buy the manga! The new business model it represents is very interesting, and I hope it finds its public. Beside, you know, the series being the best thing to happen to Japanese animation in the last handful of years.

I don't watch a lot of American television, but at least Pushing Daisies starts again in a few days. The first season was so sweet it was charming at first, then nearly unbearable after a few seconds, then went all the way around and ended totally awesome. I have high expectations.

A few friends tell me how Heroes and Prison Break have more plot holes than a volume of 20th Century Boys. Why do people still watch these shows?

Replies:

Pollyanna
2562th Post

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 07:11post reply

quote:

A few friends tell me how Heroes and Prison Break have more plot holes than a volume of 20th Century Boys. Why do people still watch these shows?

Suspense for the sake of suspense? Just like 20th Century Boyst? I liked 20th CB for Sadakiyo and Kyoko, but I have a long-standing grudge with Prison Break because it kept coming on when Arrested Development was scheduled.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

catalyst
434th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 07:29post reply

quote:

I have a long-standing grudge with Prison Break because it kept coming on when Arrested Development was scheduled.

I felt the same I was at a love hate relationship with prisonbreak. I liked it but man there was arrested development. To laugh or to watch mcguyver hm..

Currently for myself I'm getting into Dexter. It is a bit late but better late than never. I just hope they don't follow the authors third book with the super natural powers and what have you.

This song is so true

kofoguz
628th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 07:57post reply

Dexter I started watch that rerun of the first 2 seasons.I watch now and the Chuck just the sake of Adam Baldwin.Pushing daisies was great but I missed a few episodes.I stopped wacthing How I met Your Mother in the middle of season three , causeI dont have tivo and cant catch it.I realized I really like Desperate Housewives. My the most favourite show is LOST.
For mini series I loved Angel's in America andLost Room.
I'm cheating on Simpsons with Futurama without regret. Yay its alive."It just wont stay dead."

And for the comedy series Coupling uk -----> TOP TIER

[sigtag][/sigtag]

catalyst
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 08:28post reply

You like coupling too? That show is badass haha, very funny show. All the seasons and episodes are on youtube.

You watch top gear by any chance?

This song is so true

Iron D
3015th Post

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 08:52post reply

quote:

Show me a series that has gone for more than one season that doesn't have any plotholes. I mean, people still watch Star Trek and still go to see the Star Wars movies and those are probably the most plot hole riddled series in existence.

Anyways, Heroes is the only regular airing drama that I watch. Season 2 was disappointing, but this season is already off to a hell of a start. Luckily the story is generally good enough that can mostly look past the plot holes. Mostly.

Besides that, I'm a huge fan of about half of Adult Swim. Thumbs up: ATHF, Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil, The Boondocks, Metalocalypse, Harvey Birdman and Frisky Dingo. Thumbs down: just about everything else, but I should definitely mention Oblongs, Home Movies, Stroker and Hoop, Family Guy and American Dad. Robot Chicken and Venture Bros. are both meh.

And besides that The Daily Show/The Colbert Report, wrestling (all WWE and TNA) and late night reruns of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Er.....

kofoguz
629th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 09:00post reply

quote:
You like coupling too? That show is badass haha, very funny show. All the seasons and episodes are on youtube.

You watch top gear by any chance?

As for me, Nope. I should google it, or seek in imdb.

American Dad is my 3rd favourite cartoon.

I should mention the Korean soap opera "something prince" I liked it but I couldnt catch it all the time, but it was promising.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Spoon
1628th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 13:34post reply

quote:

The Golgo 13 series is surprisingly good and faithful to the original (down to the design or the sex scenes). The actor (not VA) of Golgo is great, and everyone involved seems to understand the character perfectly. A few weeks ago, we even had a fight against a baddie voiced by Wakamoto! And even better, the series goes on for another season.

I really like Golgo 13 as well!
I'm just disappointed that in the second ED they took out the sex scene. Because what is Golgo 13 if not lying stone still in bed with an expressionless face while some lady on top has the time of her life?

The only television show I watch much is House or whatever CSI-esque crime drama is on after 11pm. CSI Miami is practically Star Trek with all the devices they have that magically pull truth out of any kind of evidence in seconds/minutes.

I did greatly enjoy watching the Audience Approval meter that is displayed on CNN's broadcast of the presidential debate. Though I have to admit that after a bit I was waiting for the NICE APPEAL.

Gojira
2455th Post

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 14:07post reply

quote:
What do you think was interesting in last season? What new series seem interesting?

I liked Natsume Yuujinchou but maybe I'm still high on Brains Base after Baccano! and the surprisingly decent Kurenai. I haven't even bothered to check on what's new.

quote:

Unfortunately, the new Cobra series is not as good. The use of random 3D objects in the most bizarre places seems really weird, I have a problem with the shades on the skin of the female characters (and only there, it's very strange) and most of all, the voice actor of Cobra alone makes the character sound like a total jerk.

I think they only colored the women like that so the director could focus on their asses repeatedly.

quote:

Heroes is the Code Geass of live TV. First season worked, second season floundered, and now they're just throwing random plot twists into episodes for no reason at all.

shipoopi

Juan
4484th Post

"let me adjust my monocle first" , posted Mon 29 Sep 14:37:post reply

quote:

I am really enjoying Xamd Lost Memories. At first I was expecting a lot of bio mech fights and other crazy stuff but instead I got some pretty nice character interactions and developments. It is also nicely animated for the most part.

Also the new Birdy the mighty. Mainly to see a girl with almost no clothes punching things. I still like the original better, but this is not bad.

[this message was edited by Juan on Mon 29 Sep 14:38]

sfried
232th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Mon 29 Sep 16:54post reply

Okay...Doctor Who...what's the best season to jump into to become aquainted with the show?

I also have a mild interest in Blake Seven.

Olivier Hague
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 00:33:post reply

quote:
Show me a series that has gone for more than one season that doesn't have any plotholes.

Oh, come on. Heroes is especially bad, and it didn't even wait for its second season to be so.

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Tue 30 Sep 00:35]

Shindekudasai
280th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 02:11post reply

Last anime I saw was Gurren Lagann, the genre's so watered down now I don't even know where to look to find something decent. US shows that currently interest me are Scrubs, Nip/Tuck, The Shield, CSI (the original, Las Vegas), Las Vegas (not CSI, that's the name of the show!), Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Burn Notice. The last two get extra points for being especially interesting.

Iron D
3016th Post

"Re(3):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 03:10post reply

quote:
Show me a series that has gone for more than one season that doesn't have any plotholes.
Oh, come on. Heroes is especially bad, and it didn't even wait for its second season to be so.

I'd still say it's no worse than any of the Star Treks. Hell, Heroes isn't even as bad as Enterprise as far as plotholes are concerned.

But again, despite the numerous plotholes, I still find the show highly entertaining.

Er.....

Iggy
8675th Post

"Re(4):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 03:25post reply

quote:
Hell, Heroes isn't even as bad as Enterprise as far as plotholes are concerned.

It's like saying "hey, this game is not as bad as Death Crimson!", or "it took me 15 seconds to run 100 meters, but it's still faster than that cripple over there!", or "I've had sex with the whole bus, but I'm still less of a slut than your mu... OK, I'll stop here.

Freeter
4424th Post

"Re(5):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 13:09post reply

The live 4chan threads for each Geass episode were more entertaining than the series ever was, despite being one glorious trainwreck. They need to make a crippled loli the boss of KOFXII just to surprise everyone.

American TV bores the hell out of me, so every Friday night I just watch The Soup which basically runs clips from all the shows and makes fun of them. Saves me time to sleep/surf/Nico/masturbate/etc.

Maybe I should import one of those DS TV Tuners, since I spend more time on that anyway...

Black_Hayato
221th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 13:41post reply

The first season of Prison Break was great and if it was condensed would have made a good movie. Instead of this goofy thing they got going now.

Most shows seem designed on a premise that can only last one season without going to hell anyway so why force it. Season 2 or 3 is always like, "now what do we do?"

Iron D
3017th Post

"Re(5):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 16:21post reply

quote:
Hell, Heroes isn't even as bad as Enterprise as far as plotholes are concerned.

It's like saying "hey, this game is not as bad as Death Crimson!", or "it took me 15 seconds to run 100 meters, but it's still faster than that cripple over there!", or "I've had sex with the whole bus, but I'm still less of a slut than your mu... OK, I'll stop here.

Of course, you're saying this going from what some "friends" have told you, right? How much Heroes have you seen? How do you know that it's not enjoyable despite it's plotholes?

Er.....

Iggy
8676th Post

"Re(6):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 18:02post reply

quote:
Of course, you're saying this going from what some "friends" have told you, right? How much Heroes have you seen? How do you know that it's not enjoyable despite it's plotholes?

It was more to make fun of the argument "it may be not good, but others are far worse" in general than about Heroes specifically. I don't really care for the show (and it gives me a few cheap laughs when my friends tell me what's happening in it).

But to answer your question, I have seen the first episode (first two, maybe ?)
The incredibly stupid cheerleader filmed her immortality on tape for no other reason than to create a plot device.
The japanese guy, his friend, his japan and his power were all really, really terrible.
I decided not to go on. I don't think I can be blamed for that.

Iron D
3018th Post

"Re(7):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 19:09post reply

quote:

It was more to make fun of the argument "it may be not good, but others are far worse" in general than about Heroes specifically. I don't really care for the show (and it gives me a few cheap laughs when my friends tell me what's happening in it).

But to answer your question, I have seen the first episode (first two, maybe ?)
The incredibly stupid cheerleader filmed her immortality on tape for no other reason than to create a plot device.
The japanese guy, his friend, his japan and his power were all really, really terrible.
I decided not to go on. I don't think I can be blamed for that.

Well...different strokes, I guess.

Er.....

Ishmael
3292th Post

"Re(2):The TV shows Thread" , posted Tue 30 Sep 23:48post reply

When I heard that Golgo 13 was getting a new series I was worried that someone would make the mistake of trying to give him emotions or a personality. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like Golgo is continuing to stare out at the world with blank, steely eyed intensity from beneath his massive eyebrows.

quote:
Okay...Doctor Who...what's the best season to jump into to become aquainted with the show?

I also have a mild interest in Blake Seven.

Personally I have a soft spot for early Tom Baker stuff. Recently I've been looking at what's left of Patrick Troughton's work and there seems to be some fun stuff in there but his stint seems to be too broken up to really recommend. Actually, anything featuring the Doctor can't really be recommended unless you like watching paper mache monsters shuffle around and enjoy listening to the Doctor condescendingly explain the plot to everyone else in the cast.

Mokona
461th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 00:50post reply

Everyone knows the best show on American TV right now is House!

I also can't wait for Lost's season debut, the last season was wicked cool.

Blah!

nobinobita
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 05:44post reply

quote:

Well...different strokes, I guess.

now that was a quality show !

Digitalboy
563th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 07:33post reply

Rescue Me. Dennis Leary is superb in that show.
Arrested Development. Love this show. Still watching this on DVD, and not really looking forward to the planned movie. The series wrapped up nicely to actually want to see the movie.

Caught a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother, it's...good.

Heroes. Jeph Loeb should stick to comics.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

sfried
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 08:07post reply

quote:
Everyone knows the best show on American TV right now is House!
There's probably no denying that, except I didn't watch it on TV. More like DVD. I can't stand American ads.

Shindekudasai
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 09:31post reply

1 word. Bisexadrine.
House, you're a genius. Douchebag, but genius.

Iron D
3019th Post

"Re(10):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 12:37post reply

quote:

Heroes. Jeph Loeb should stick to comics.

Ugh. Loeb's comics suck. Or, they suck now.

Er.....

Shindekudasai
282th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 12:42post reply

Tell me about it! Red Hulk was a clusterfuck. And don't get me started on the new Supergirl...

Gojira
2456th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 14:39post reply

The thing I like about Jeph Loeb is his name always looks like a cluster of typos.

shipoopi

Oroch
1023th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Wed 1 Oct 23:15post reply

the only thing you guys should be watching is life on mars, and not the shit american remake.

nobinobita
416th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):The TV shows Thread" , posted Thu 2 Oct 13:27post reply

quote:
I thought we had one. We should have one. And now we do!

This show came on a while back... but did anyone watch Andy Barker PI? There used to be full episodes available at nbc.com. I'd link you to them but they're not up anymore.

It was by far the funniest new TV show I'd seen in years. It was the last TV show I ever went out of my way to watch. Unfortunately it was very promptly canceled.

It was really really damn funny though, right from the get go. It was perfectly cast, and it seemed the writers and actors understood the appeal of the characters from the start.

Also, Flight Of The Conchords is enjoyable. Was that last season? I know they're working on a new season too.

Iron D
3021th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The TV shows Thread" , posted Fri 3 Oct 06:00post reply

quote:
Tell me about it! Red Hulk was a clusterfuck. And don't get me started on the new Supergirl...

Exactly. Not to mention the ruining of The Ultimates, and pretty much all of Batman/Superman save the first story arc.

Er.....

Digitalboy
564th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):The TV shows Thread" , posted Sat 4 Oct 05:01post reply

Agreed. World's Finest was great. While everything else he has touched after that is over hyped. Heroes is definitely over hyped.
quote:

Exactly. Not to mention the ruining of The Ultimates, and pretty much all of Batman/Superman save the first story arc.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Shindekudasai
322th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):The TV shows Thread" , posted Thu 23 Oct 16:43post reply

House, you ... you ... wow.
Lucky 13, indeed.