KOF Music Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (7757 Views )

Shindekudasai
272th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"KOF Music Thread" , posted Wed 24 Sep 17:08post reply

KoF12's changes getting you down? Let's take a load off and reminisce about the good old days. What are your favorite tracks (and/or their remixes) and do you prefer the OST or AST versions? (Odd question, I know, but there are a few tracks that I honestly prefer the OST).

KOF'96: AOF's "Kamikirimushi", Ikari's "Rumbling on the City", Chizuru's "Fairy" and of course "Esaka?"

'97 is hit or miss, especially with the stupid ambient tracks. Shingo's "Still Green", New Face's "Bloody" ... Iori's "Cool Jam" rules! But I still wish the AST ver. had the little guitar riff from the OST. Also like the little piano/guitar song that plays right before you fight the Orochi Team , wish there was an AST for that. Credits music was good too.

'98 was my first serious KOF game, I'd flirted with Fatal Fury and '94 before that but never got drawn in. The selection for that game was near perfect, but the only thing I never got was why they used the '95 China theme instead of "Psycho Soldier". Wish they used the OST arrangement of Arashi no Saxaphone 1 in the AST, as I much prefer that smoothe little buildup than just getting saxblasted from the start. Oh, and the original "Cipher" blows the UM version out of the water.

'99 had an absolutely PERFECT soundtrack. No commentary neccessary, except that "Tears" is the best KOF song EVER.

2k: "Good-bye Esaka", "Will", "The Trooper", "Inner Shade". Love the techno-bloopy feel of "Ice Place". OST "Crystal" was a nice farewell to the series.

...or so we thought. 2k1's tracks mostly sucked, but I always thought the Hero, Psycho Soldier, and NESTS themes had remix potential.

2k2 had good selection, if nothing else. Out of the new songs, the Netherlands theme was enjoyable, and the intro had that "KOF is back!" feel. "Progress" was cool, and "Napolitan Trance" redeemed the 2001 sampleset.

Now I'm probably the one who'll mention NeoWave tracks, but "The Dark" wasn't bad, and "Arena" needs to be in a DDR game STAT.

2k3's trax dissapointed me greatly. It seemed like only the bad guys got cool music! Ash, the Outlaws, Adel, Chizuru/Maki...

XI: Joker, Queen, Pure ~ Good Old Days, and New Order are okay, but KDD-0075 pwnz them all!

...got nothing to add? Then just comment on this.

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/forum_avatars/faces/shindekudasailastsupper.jpg [Image Attached]

Replies:

Iron D
3005th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):KOF Music Thread" , posted Wed 24 Sep 17:42post reply

KoF 96's soundtrack is one of my favorite fighting game soundtracks EVER. In fact, KoF 96 is one of the few games that I play JUST for the soundtrack. I've never really been too big on KoF's gameplay, but the soundtrack for this game alone is what keeps me coming back.

Favorites (I don't know the names of the songs): the Korean team, the Ikari Warriors team, the Iori team, the Women's team, Chizuru's, Goenitz' and most of all the AoF team's.

KoF 99's was great too. Once again the AoF teams was my favorite (some of my least favorite characters but with some of my favorite songs), the elevator stage, the women's team, and Krizalid's stage.

KoF XI's soundtrack was kinda eh. In fact, none of the songs really stand out to me at the moment.

Now KoF 98 was just awful. Lots of people claim this is the best KoF. Fine, but I say that the soundtrack is just awful. Some of the worst mixes of songs that have been remixed time and again.

As for the rest of the series, I've never played KoF 95, and i didn't play any of the other KoFs in a place where I could actually hear the music.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):KOF Music Thread" , posted Wed 24 Sep 18:56post reply

quote:
KoF12's changes getting you down?

Nope!

Grave
1121th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):KOF Music Thread" , posted Wed 24 Sep 19:41post reply

quote:
No commentary neccessary, except that "Tears" is the best KOF song EVER.

Yes.

Toxico
4471th Post

"Re(2):KOF Music Thread" , posted Thu 25 Sep 00:03:post reply

quote:
KoF 96's soundtrack is one of my favorite fighting game soundtracks EVER. In fact, KoF 96 is one of the few games that I play JUST for the soundtrack. I've never really been too big on KoF's gameplay, but the soundtrack for this game alone is what keeps me coming back.

People like oroch tan, who worships his ubber expensive original copy might try to maim me for this, but I highly recomend you to try out KoF '94 and KoF '95 sound tracks, indeed, except for a few exceptions the >97 period was great for SNK BGMs with good tunes even in their most awful games (I remember musouken had quite a few interesting tunes).

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
the names of the files are completely wrong , the person who remaned these didn't even knew that the term was arrange soundtrack

End of Spoiler

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

「原罪の十字架」

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 25 Sep 00:08]

Shindekudasai
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):KOF Music Thread" , posted Thu 25 Sep 05:57:post reply

Don't get me wrong, '94/'95 had some okay tunes as well, but I think it really started coming together in '96. Of those early tunes my faves are the original Esaka (I once cut the AST intro onto the '98 AST song), Jungle Bouncer (what can I say, I like Faith No More ^_^), China's 95 theme, Flute In the Sky, and Rugal's theme AST (I think it was called Ketchaku R&D?). One thing I will give the older stuff is that the KOF Symphonic Soundtrack was top notch. One other song I'll mention is Slum No. 5, the first time I heard it I thought it was the most obnoxious thing I'd ever heard, but the remix from KOF Dance Trax redeemed it for me. Dance Trax is underrated ... sure, half the songs sound nothing like the originals, but the few that did were pretty good!

[this message was edited by Shindekudasai on Thu 25 Sep 06:10]

Gojira
2450th Post

"Re(4):KOF Music Thread" , posted Thu 25 Sep 08:05post reply

Dun dun dun dun dun dudun dudun OHH NOO!!

But seriously, it would take me much less time to go through the tracks I hate. Like the entire 2k1 soundtrack. Other than that, there have been some actual misses... I was never a fan of Napolitan Blues, Orochi Team in 97, and that Athena team music in 2k3 I'd really love to forget.

There are also tracks that I originally didn't care for, like most of the Ikari stuff, but now that we've moved past the era of generic wailing guitar riffs I can sort of appreciate them as some kind of "vintage" material.

shipoopi

Iggy
8667th Post

"Re(5):KOF Music Thread" , posted Thu 25 Sep 08:19post reply

My main problem with some of the best KOF musics is that they are more often than not themes from other games, and they often sound better in Ryûkô2 or Real Bout.

I think I remember Rugal's 98 theme, but that might be intoxication.

Tai-Pan
294th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):KOF Music Thread" , posted Thu 25 Sep 09:14post reply

I like the topic.
Call me crazy but after years of growing up with SF KOF came out and I took it as another religion. Always between both games and with all the others.
The thing is that there was a period of my life (about 10 years long) that i used to live in my south american country where time didnt exist. So I spent my life practicing martial arts and playing video games. And I love your topic because I always loved SNK music' and I took every KOF soundtrack as the soundtrack of my life. I used to go through loong MA trainning sessions with KOF songs in the background. Those tunes really inspired me and made me feel really really good about life and sweating and punching and blahhh....good times...now let me go back to time

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Shindekudasai
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):KOF Music Thread" , posted Thu 25 Sep 15:31post reply

If you don't mind my asking, which country and which martial art? :) I met a girl on a dating site once who said she worked out to SF2 music. (alas, she wasn't interested.)

(and speaking of not interested, the girl I currently like came out of the closet in group therapy today... God hates me!)

D`Cloud
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):KOF Music Thread" , posted Fri 26 Sep 02:13:post reply

i love all kof music. maybe i hate the song of fighters musics... or singing iori and kyo ... but the bgm music, i love em.

I love a lot of other snk music too. samurai shodown has great music and fatalfury too. Last blade has cool selection of music too.

bottomline i really appreciate the bgm in games. even the NES tones or SNES tones. Its another level of appreciation for me. They didnt just put some catchy tunes together just so the game had a music in it... they composed and arranged it even spent time hiring expensive composers.

http://www.dustinuy.com

[this message was edited by D`Cloud on Fri 26 Sep 02:13]

Tai-Pan
295th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):KOF Music Thread" , posted Sun 28 Sep 04:35post reply

quote:
If you don't mind my asking, which country and which martial art? :) I met a girl on a dating site once who said she worked out to SF2 music. (alas, she wasn't interested.)

(and speaking of not interested, the girl I currently like came out of the closet in group therapy today... God hates me!)

I'm argentinean but now i live in florida usa. I started with karate but ive done pretty much everything else.
too bad aboout the group therapy thing..hope never happens to me

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Shindekudasai
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):KOF Music Thread" , posted Sun 28 Sep 05:37post reply

I hope so too - I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

Well, maybe the worst. Or the least. We'll see.