Newer than the newer SF4 thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3354 Views )

Gojira
2441th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 17 Sep 14:19post reply

Almost 200 posts in the old one, so we reset.

So the big news now is it seems the latest blog post has revealed that another character is coming to the arcade version. Looks like all will be revealed on the 19th, with the actual character showing up in arcades on the 26th. The hint makes it sound like Gouken, but who knows with Capcom.

shipoopi

Replies:

Time Mage
2703th Post

"Re(1):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 17 Sep 17:20post reply

quote:

So the big news now is it seems the latest blog post has revealed that another character is coming to the arcade version. Looks like all will be revealed on the 19th, with the actual character showing up in arcades on the 26th. The hint makes it sound like Gouken, but who knows with Capcom.

I'm really liking SFIV so far, but if they add Gouken my patience will start to crumble. And not only because of a storyline perspective (I have all the retconning done pretty much assumed), but because, gameplay-wise, adding ANOTHER shoto, even if they manage to make him pretty different, will be a bit too much.

But yeah, it'll be Gouken -_-

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Just a Person
1216th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 17 Sep 20:04post reply

quote:

What was the hint in the blog post?

Gouken is fine. Some of us waited eagerly to fight him in SFII and even in SFIII; this may be the first opportunity ever to know the great Master of Ryu and Ken.

On the other hand, a female character (preferentially a new one instead of a returning one) is more needed than him at the moment. Capcom already hinted that Cammy is exclusive to the home ports, and even if she were in the arcades, it would be only 3 women against 15 men... not a very proportional ratio.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Count Hihihi
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 17 Sep 21:27post reply

THE GREAT MASTER OF RYU AND KEN IS BADASS

Iron D
2984th Post

"Re(2):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 17 Sep 22:57post reply

quote:

I'm really liking SFIV so far, but if they add Gouken my patience will start to crumble. And not only because of a storyline perspective (I have all the retconning done pretty much assumed), but because, gameplay-wise, adding ANOTHER shoto, even if they manage to make him pretty different, will be a bit too much.

But yeah, it'll be Gouken -_-

So besides the retconning, you'd still not want him in even if he actually played differently? I thought the anti-Shoto folks hated the shotos because of the fact that they played similarly.

Er.....

Gojira
2443th Post

"Re(3):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 17 Sep 23:18post reply

quote:

What was the hint in the blog post?

It basically says the character is a "truly strong person" whose appearance would naturally come after Gouki, who you MAY (dramatic pause)... have seen before

shipoopi

Zepy
1499th Post

"Re(4):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Sep 01:55post reply

quote:
It basically says the character is a "truly strong person" whose appearance would naturally come after Gouki, who you MAY (dramatic pause)... have seen before

I tried to recall which strong character actually comes after Gouki's appearance, and this was the only character I could think of

Baines
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Sep 02:30post reply

quote:
So besides the retconning, you'd still not want him in even if he actually played differently? I thought the anti-Shoto folks hated the shotos because of the fact that they played similarly.

There is "different" and then there is "different for a shoto". Akuma/Gouki is different from Ken and Ryu, but still a shoto. Dan is different from all three, but Capcom certainly isn't going to go the Dan route with Gouken.

Capcom will probably go the Gouki route, giving him the shoto basics, powering them up a bit, and giving him some new moves. If they are really unimaginative, then they'll give him powered up dragon punches, mirroring Ryu and Ken's fireball and dragon punch difference in Gouki and Gouken.

Count Hihihi
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Sep 02:48post reply

For starters he shouldn't be the same size as every other shoto ever.

..Gen would be much better.

Time Mage
2704th Post

"Re(4):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Sep 04:49post reply

quote:

There is "different" and then there is "different for a shoto". Akuma/Gouki is different from Ken and Ryu, but still a shoto. Dan is different from all three, but Capcom certainly isn't going to go the Dan route with Gouken.

That is EXACTLY my point. You can make Gouken different, and he'll still be at much, as different as Gouki is from Ryu and Ken. I am a very veteran SF player and can name you all the tiny and not so tiny differences between the shotos, but even knowing those, the truth is that they all revolve around the same core ideas.

Making another new character would be much better, heck, just bringing back a non-SFII SF character would be better.

Anyway, it's not like I'll hate the game if when Gouken is released, but I'll be disappointed at their lack of creativity.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Iron D
2985th Post

"Re(5):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Sep 13:37post reply

quote:

That is EXACTLY my point. You can make Gouken different, and he'll still be at much, as different as Gouki is from Ryu and Ken. I am a very veteran SF player and can name you all the tiny and not so tiny differences between the shotos, but even knowing those, the truth is that they all revolve around the same core ideas.

Making another new character would be much better, heck, just bringing back a non-SFII SF character would be better.

Anyway, it's not like I'll hate the game if when Gouken is released, but I'll be disappointed at their lack of creativity.

So where do, say Sakura and Sean fit in for you? I mean, I'd say Sakura plays significantly differnt even though she has a shoryuken, hadoken and tatsu. Sean has a hadoken that's super only, and shoryu and tatsu variations. But yet I'd say he was different enough to perhaps not even be called a shoto (keyword: perhaps).

I'm not trying to pick on you or anything. I'm actually legitimately curious. In fact, I'd like to know what anybody thought of this.

Er.....

Toxico
4450th Post

"Re(6):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Sep 13:42post reply

quote:
I'm not trying to pick on you or anything. I'm actually legitimately curious. In fact, I'd like to know what anybody thought of this.

Shotos are way more than a fire ball. These two characters could still stick to a good number of shoto tm strategies, like weak senppu -> invincibility or had the usual "strong" short range moves. In my eyes, shotos aren't that fast but have annoying priority with their attacks, they both share this trait.

They aren't "exactly like" the shoto clones, but they are much closer than the other characters.

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

Time Mage
2706th Post

"Re(6):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Sep 17:12post reply

quote:
So where do, say Sakura and Sean fit in for you? I mean, I'd say Sakura plays significantly differnt even though she has a shoryuken, hadoken and tatsu. Sean has a hadoken that's super only, and shoryu and tatsu variations. But yet I'd say he was different enough to perhaps not even be called a shoto (keyword: perhaps).

Hmm... I'd say Sakura and Sean are in the boundary of non-shotoness. Both start from a shoto concept, which is the key here, but are modified enough to be pretty different.

Sakura, while having the hadou, shoryu, tatsu trio, has them pretty modified, and her normals are totally different. They excecuted very well her "shoto by observation" or "shoto fan" style.

Sean, on the other hand, lacks a normal hadou, and his tatsu is barely a tatsu at all. Both versions of his shoryu are also pretty different (more the first one, which was great). However, his normals are very shoto, and he doesn't have enough different ones to hide that fact. He fits very well the "shoto apprentice" role.

So, yeah, I wouldn't consider Sakura a shoto, even if she starts from that concept, but Sean is one, specifically the contrary of Gouki, the "super-shoto". Personal appreciation, of course, but that's how I see them.

Just a Person
1218th Post

"Re(5):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Sep 04:13post reply

quote:

Maybe Gouken will just be a hidden boss, but not becoming a playable fighter as Akuma did.

IMO, if Capcom plans to reveal any other playable character in the arcades, it should be Seth (who has been there more time than Akuma, after all). I know it's strange, but I really like Seth's design and attacks (except for the weird Super Vacuum-like Ultra Move), and I'd love to play as him in SFIV.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Spoon
1621th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Sep 08:17post reply

quote:
I really like Seth's design and attacks (except for the weird Super Vacuum-like Ultra Move),

Hey, that's the best part!
Especially when it KOs somebody!

Nekros
93th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Sep 18:50post reply

quote:
Looks like all will be revealed on the 19th, with the actual character showing up in arcades on the 26th.

Today is the 19th and nothing new is posted on the blog -_-

Gojira
2447th Post

"Re(2):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Sep 22:16:post reply

quote:
Looks like all will be revealed on the 19th, with the actual character showing up in arcades on the 26th.

I was tricked, the blog promised a "big reveal" today but it turns out it wasn't talking about this new character.

Instead it promises other than Fei Long and Dan there is a third character in the console version. WHO COULD IT BE!!!!! Yeah I think we already know. The character will be playable, of course (I'm assuming at TGS).

Also from TGS here comes AMAZING BIG NEWS!!!!! a giant collaboration with Capcom means they will be showing...!!!!

...the trailer for the new live-action Chun Li movie.

*facepalm*

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 19 Sep 22:22]

Just a Person
1219th Post

"Re(3):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Sep 23:36post reply

quote:

I was tricked, the blog promised a "big reveal" today but it turns out it wasn't talking about this new character.

Instead it promises other than Fei Long and Dan there is a third character in the console version. WHO COULD IT BE!!!!! Yeah I think we already know. The character will be playable, of course (I'm assuming at TGS).

Also from TGS here comes AMAZING BIG NEWS!!!!! a giant collaboration with Capcom means they will be showing...!!!!

...the trailer for the new live-action Chun Li movie.

*facepalm*

I read in another community that the the blog also kept implying about a new character in the arcades. So maybe you weren't wrong about the possible new unlockable fighter/boss, only about the day he/she will be revealed...

Anyway, it's great to know that TGS will show Dan, Fei-Long and Cammy!

Gojira
2448th Post

"Re(4):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Sep 23:58post reply

quote:
I read in another community that the the blog also kept implying about a new character in the arcades. So maybe you weren't wrong about the possible new unlockable fighter/boss, only about the day he/she will be revealed...

No, there will definitely be a new character, I just mistakenly thought the "big reveal" today had something to do with it.

shipoopi

aerialgroove
32th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Sep 07:40:post reply

quote:
…On the other hand, a female character (preferentially a new one instead of a returning one) is more needed than him at the moment…

How about Gouken's daughter who was only mentioned once or twice? She admires Ryu and should have at least some basic fighting skills. Originally she gave him the red ribbon. Then SFII Animated Movie came and SFZero/Alpha adopted the story with Ken.

http://fightingstreet.com

[this message was edited by aerialgroove on Sat 20 Sep 07:41]

Iron D
2989th Post

"Re(7):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Sep 11:31post reply

quote:

Hmm... I'd say Sakura and Sean are in the boundary of non-shotoness. Both start from a shoto concept, which is the key here, but are modified enough to be pretty different.

Sakura, while having the hadou, shoryu, tatsu trio, has them pretty modified, and her normals are totally different. They excecuted very well her "shoto by observation" or "shoto fan" style.

Sean, on the other hand, lacks a normal hadou, and his tatsu is barely a tatsu at all. Both versions of his shoryu are also pretty different (more the first one, which was great). However, his normals are very shoto, and he doesn't have enough different ones to hide that fact. He fits very well the "shoto apprentice" role.

So, yeah, I wouldn't consider Sakura a shoto, even if she starts from that concept, but Sean is one, specifically the contrary of Gouki, the "super-shoto". Personal appreciation, of course, but that's how I see them.

Well put. If Gouken were in the game, I'd definitely want him to be at least as different as these two.

Er.....

Professor
2503th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Sep 12:29post reply

quote:

Hold your horses until next Friday on the 26th, that's what the blog says. I'm assuming it's Gouken..

Count Hihihi
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Sep 17:47post reply

quote:

Hold your horses until next Friday on the 26th, that's what the blog says. I'm assuming it's Gouken..

Or maybe it is.. RETSU?!?

Nekros
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"The Master is here" , posted Wed 24 Sep 21:20:post reply

Are you ready?

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/66/goukenlivesvs7.jpg

Cool or lame?

[this message was edited by Nekros on Wed 24 Sep 21:21]

whitesword
1630th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The Master is here" , posted Wed 24 Sep 21:26post reply

quote:
Are you ready?

Cool or lame?

Well, that's nice.

In an unrelated matter, does anyone have any suicide methods they can recommend for me?

Iron D
3007th Post

"Re(1):The Master is here" , posted Wed 24 Sep 22:08post reply

quote:
Are you ready?

Cool or lame?

I may be in the minority here, but I'm excited.

Is that a an upward fireball I see?

Er.....

Nekros
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):The Master is here" , posted Wed 24 Sep 22:18post reply

quote:
Are you ready?

Cool or lame?

Yup, something like Sakura's hadouken in MSH vs SF.

jUAN
4481th Post

"Re(2):The Master is here" , posted Wed 24 Sep 23:03post reply

quote:

In an unrelated matter, does anyone have any suicide methods they can recommend for me?

Don't do it. Don't you want to see the announcement of Kairi and Allen (JUSTICE FIST) Snyder?

Ishmael
3285th Post

"Re(3):The Master is here" , posted Wed 24 Sep 23:28post reply

quote:
Are you ready?

Cool or lame?

What is this going to do to Akuma's air fireballs and Rufus' dive kick? I'm not sure but as long as Gouken's angled projectile doesn't come across like that shark fireball that stupid pirate guy from World Heroes had I'm happy.

In other SF news the overcooked English SF page has been updated with the US and Eurpoe cover art.

Toxico
4470th Post

"Re(1):The Master is here" , posted Wed 24 Sep 23:48:post reply

quote:

Well, at least this announcement made me happy that KoF XII hast 20 characters, instead of 30 but with 10 different variations of Kyo.

I wonder if we can eagerly await Allen and Kairi has the next revelead characters (tch, Juna beat me to it )...

quote:
I'm not sure but as long as Gouken's angled projectile doesn't come across like that shark fireball that stupid pirate guy from World Heroes had I'm happy.

heresy!

「原罪の十字架」

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 24 Sep 23:55]

Nekros
98th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 01:02:post reply

quote:
Are you ready?

Cool or lame?

What is this going to do to Akuma's air fireballs and Rufus' dive kick? I'm not sure but as long as Gouken's angled projectile doesn't come across like that shark fireball that stupid pirate guy from World Heroes had I'm happy.

In other SF news the overcooked English SF page has been updated with the US and Eurpoe cover art.

Those artworks are really lame! Every people can do something like that with Photoshop... lazy and uninspired work. I hope at least the jap version got an original artwork.
About the hadouken...I wonder how does it works in a game with NO AERIAL BLOCKING (guard or parry).

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 25 Sep 01:03]

Just a Person
1224th Post

"Re(2):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 01:33post reply

quote:
Are you ready?

Cool or lame?

Yeah, me too! I know, it's another character that plays like Ryu and Ken, where's the originality, blah blah blah... but damn, IT'S SHENG LONG!!! (okay, I know his correct name is Gouken, but when I was a child people referred to Ryu's master as Sheng Long)

I mean, since SFII people have been eagerly waiting for Gouken to appear and impress us all with his skills (EGM can be partially blamed for that, in both the SFII and SFIII rumors)! I am very curious to watch how he fights, and how hard it is to defeat him (if it's even possible - well, maybe for that Daigo guy from Japan).

But is he a playable character or a secret boss? If he's a secret boss what's the condition to fight him?

And if Capcom plans him to be an unlockable playable fighter, I hope the same applies to Seth... give the blue guy an opportunity.

Count Hihihi
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 01:59post reply

quote:

I mean, since SFII people have been eagerly waiting for Gouken to appear and impress us all with his skills (EGM can be partially blamed for that, in both the SFII and SFIII rumors)! I am very curious to watch how he fights, and how hard it is to defeat him (if it's even possible - well, maybe for that Daigo guy from Japan).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Oh lordy, I needed that..

Just a Person
1225th Post

"Re(4):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 02:17post reply

quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

...very exaggerated, I know. Sorry about that, I got a little overexcited with the news. Won't happen again.

BTW, I forgot adding in my last post: besides all those other doubts about Gouken, I'm curious to find out what's his plot in SFIV. Did he fake his death in SF1? Is he a clone or an android? Was he ressurected some way?

catalyst
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 02:25post reply

Shenlong has a chance after all!!!!!

But in all seriousness, given that he is Ryu and Ken's teacher, I hope they do something to make him different and stand out above them. Though I'd think that would be asking for too much.

This song is so true

Just a Person
1226th Post

"Re(6):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 02:51post reply

quote:
Shenlong has a chance after all!!!!!

But in all seriousness, given that he is Ryu and Ken's teacher, I hope they do something to make him different and stand out above them. Though I'd think that would be asking for too much.

He could have that special kick Ryu has in SFIII, since Ryu doesn't have it in SFIV.

Spoon
1625th Post

"Re(5):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 03:01post reply

quote:
Is he a clone or an android? Was he ressurected some way?

SF NESTS saga ahoy.

I can't wait to see how Sakura learned her upwards fireball (in the Vs. series) by watching Gouken.

Grave
1122th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 04:21post reply

Is his Ultra Akuma's d, d, d + PP from 3S? Sure looks like it if that second shot is an above view.

Iron D
3009th Post

"Re(5):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 05:14post reply

quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

...very exaggerated, I know. Sorry about that, I got a little overexcited with the news. Won't happen again.

BTW, I forgot adding in my last post: besides all those other doubts about Gouken, I'm curious to find out what's his plot in SFIV. Did he fake his death in SF1? Is he a clone or an android? Was he ressurected some way?

Don't worry about Hihihi. It's seems his job is to swoop in and try to kill any buzz that anyone has over SFIV...for some reason.

I mean, there are those that don't like some games, and then there's those that seem to make it their goal in life to sour everyone else's expectations with said game.

Er.....

Shindekudasai
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 05:28post reply

So Gouken's official. Death is not sacred in the SF universe (but then again it never was - I'm looking at you, Charlie and Bison!). On the upside? Now you can dream about Gen coming back (I don't use him but I know he has a large following). Now if he can just keep his name for the U.S. release instead of Shen Long....

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/forum_avatars/faces/shindekudasailastsupper.jpg [Image Attached]

Time Mage
2708th Post

"Re(1):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 05:33post reply

...Sigh.

I didn't want him, but now that he's for real, let's hope that at least he is interesting to play and different enough from Ryu/Ken/Gouki. And I mean Sakura-like different, not "Gouki with an upward hadoken and a different super".

Toxico
4472th Post

"Re(2):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 07:27post reply

quote:
let's hope that at least he is interesting to play and different enough from Ryu/Ken/Gouki.

Let's better face the facts, the only goal of this game is that NO ONE ever again ask, request or whine anything about a SF secuel.

「原罪の十字架」

Sensenic
1642th Post

"Re(7):The Master is here" , posted Thu 25 Sep 21:08post reply

quote:
Is his Ultra Akuma's d, d, d + PP from 3S? Sure looks like it if that second shot is an above view.

Nope, Shin Shoryuken. u_u

Plot-wise they'll say Ryuu learned it from him there?
(Oh, but then again he had it on Alpha, didn't he?)

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

NARUTO
3677th Post

"Re(7):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 01:07post reply

quote:
So Gouken's official. Death is not sacred in the SF universe (but then again it never was - I'm looking at you, Charlie and Bison!). On the upside? Now you can dream about Gen coming back (I don't use him but I know he has a large following). Now if he can just keep his name for the U.S. release instead of Shen Long....

Well capcom are idiots, it's not new. 1 month ago they swear on thier live that gouken will never be in a SF game due to his role... But well they need to sell the game after all.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Ishmael
3286th Post

"Re(8):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 02:34post reply

quote:

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but didn't Ryu have the Metsu Shouryuken in A3 that could only become the Shin Shoryuken on some wildly difficult conditions? Perhaps Gouken will teach Ryu how to get the move consistently? It would have also be nice if Gouken would teach Ryu how to make the Shin Shoryuken a bit more useful of a move but I guess you can't have everything.

Count Hihihi
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 02:43post reply

GOUKEN TEACHING RYU THE SHIN SHORYUKEN WOULD BE SO BADASS

Pollyanna
2561th Post

"Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 08:01post reply

I used to say that Mortal Kombat was too hard for me because I couldn't get past the character select screen. I'm finding myself in a somewhat similar situation with SF4, where the game is only 10 minutes away, but I can't seem to drag myself to the machine.

I still stand by my statement that it's a good game, but that doesn't do me much good if I can't bring myself to play it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3010th Post

"Re(8):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 08:28post reply

quote:

Well capcom are idiots, it's not new. 1 month ago they swear on thier live that gouken will never be in a SF game due to his role... But well they need to sell the game after all.

What? They said this despite the fact that Gouken was featured in an anime cutscene released over a month ago and was even hinted at by Ono when the game was first announced?

Er.....

nobinobita
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 09:21:post reply

quote:

What? They said this despite the fact that Gouken was featured in an anime cutscene released over a month ago and was even hinted at by Ono when the game was first announced?

Don't forget the April Fool's drawing by Ikeno. One of the few illustrations produced for the game that isn't a smudged, painted over cg render.

Holy Moly! While looking for that Gouken drawing I came acros some GREAT Gouki drawings for SFIV from Ikeno. I hadn't seen these before and I don't know if anyone else has linked to em, so here you go:

Here's an awesome black and white tablet drawing.

Naked Akuma with lion eye

Face and hair studies with clarification on how to properly draw/model out his hair

More face studies, with a particularly nio guardian look.

Man, Ikeno is really out of this world. Everything falls into place in his work. It's so volumetric. You can feel there's a skull in there, with tendons and muscles on top, and skin on top of that. Even more importantly you get a sense of the character. Back in SFIII Ikeno gave Gouki very lion like brow ridge muscles which served to make him look fiercer but also regal. He seems to be toning that down a bit for SFIV, but the basic shape is still there and works great. I love it!
Pics are from this site:
http://capcom-town.es/category/formatos/arcade/page/2/

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 26 Sep 09:35]

Iron D
3011th Post

"Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 12:18post reply

quote:

Naked Akuma with lion eye

Damn. Akuma's a SEXY beast.

Er.....

Baines
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 13:50post reply

quote:

When/where did Capcom deny Gouken?

The EGM interview with Ono from last year implied Gouken would be in the game as fan service.

Time Mage
2709th Post

"Re(9):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 17:18post reply

quote:

It's Naruto, talking about a 3D SF when a new KOF will appear soon. His fanboy powers are at their maximum potential.

Sensenic
1643th Post

"Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 17:39post reply

quote:

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but didn't Ryu have the Metsu Shouryuken in A3 that could only become the Shin Shoryuken on some wildly difficult conditions? Perhaps Gouken will teach Ryu how to get the move consistently? It would have also be nice if Gouken would teach Ryu how to make the Shin Shoryuken a bit more useful of a move but I guess you can't have everything.

I did remember later that Alpha Ryuu's was a bit different (not in detail, though, barely played it), so yeah, I guess it might be sth like that.

And hey, it's the Fuckin' shin shoryuken, man. You don't mess with the fuckin' shin shoryuken and go around calling it useless.
{Shin!
{Shooooryuken!

You can't have it all...

quote:
GOUKEN TEACHING RYU THE SHIN SHORYUKEN WOULD BE SO BADASS

Personally I think it'd have been more "badass" if it had been Ryuu's own invention to begin with, though... u.u

You know, to prove he's getting stronger without using the Satsui no hadou, blah blah.

(If it was an ironic post, I didn't catch u.u )

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Iggy
8669th Post

"Re(1):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 26 Sep 18:18post reply

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/trailer/index.html#

Chunli animation.
Cammy is treated as a normal character like she was already in the game, and Nash is apparently alive.

Hurray.

Count Hihihi
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 19:27post reply

quote:

It's Naruto, talking about a 3D SF when a new KOF will appear soon. His fanboy powers are at their maximum potential.

I don't think it's fair to just pick on Naruto here.

Grave
1123th Post

"Re(2):Newer than the newer SF4 thread" , posted Fri 26 Sep 19:40post reply

Gouken's alive, Nash is alive, and we couldn't get any SF3 characters in here why...?

Hey Capcom! Eat dicks.

Iron D
3012th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 19:43post reply

quote:

Of course you don't.

Er.....

Zepy
1508th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 21:58post reply

quote:
Personally I think it'd have been more "badass" if it had been Ryuu's own invention to begin with, though... u.u

You know, to prove he's getting stronger without using the Satsui no hadou, blah blah.

(If it was an ironic post, I didn't catch u.u )

Storyline-wise I'm pretty sure Ryu learnt it on his own, since looking Gouken's movelist Capcom seems to still be using Masahiko's Street Fighter comics as canon.

Not that storyline means anything in Street Fighter.

Sensenic
1645th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 23:14:post reply

quote:
and Nash is apparently alive.

Hurray.

Gah.

Couldn't help but notice, though, that they had really neat digital cameras back then "shortly after SF2", at the beginning of the 90's.
Damn Japan, I knew they were ahead technologically, but not that much!

quote:

Storyline-wise I'm pretty sure Ryu learnt it on his own, since looking Gouken's movelist Capcom seems to still be using Masahiko's Street Fighter comics as canon.

Not that storyline means anything in Street Fighter.

Eh?

I'm afraid I don't follow you, as I don't know that comic...

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Fri 26 Sep 23:16]

Professor
2512th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 23:40:post reply

quote:

Of course you don't.

Let's not pick on each other now.

But talking about SFIV and KOFXII, Capcom is giving out free character pins during TGS to visitors that play SFIV at their booth. What's more, they're also giving out free caps to players that are really good.

Here's a sample photo.
http://www.capcom-fc.com/sf4/thumbnail/bousi.jpg

Here's a quote from 2ch.
Powaaa Gayzaaaa!! Crack Shooo!!! Oookaaay!!!

I want that cap.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 26 Sep 23:41]

Evenor
666th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Fri 26 Sep 23:51post reply

Here's a video of Gouken. Apparently he has an anti air tatsumakisenpukyakublahblahblhablha.

*yawn*

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Count Hihihi
119th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 00:08post reply

Gouken's anti air tatsumakisenpukyakublahblahblhablha is BADASS

Toxico
4473th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 00:16post reply

quote:
But talking about SFIV and KOFXII, Capcom is giving out free character pins during TGS to visitors that play SFIV at their booth. What's more, they're also giving out free caps to players that are really good.

Doesn't the TGS starts next month? or it's like a Famitsu then?

「原罪の十字架」

Ishmael
3287th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 00:27post reply

I'm not sure the world needs another fireball/anti-air character (do you hear me KoFXII Kyo?) but I love the way Gouken looks in the game. He's like a big, leathery Santa.

quote:

But talking about SFIV and KOFXII, Capcom is giving out free character pins during TGS to visitors that play SFIV at their booth.

Haha, that pin of Chun-Li and her giant hand is great!

quote:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/trailer/index.html#

Good to see the video from SDCC has finally been posted on Capcom's site. It's nice to see a proper version of it and to hear what it sounds like in Japanese.

Iggy
8670th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 00:36post reply

quote:
Here's a video of Gouken.

I am so BORED.

Even his voice is boring, too young and uninteresting. But since he's not the only one in the game, it's more of a general trend.

Iron D
3013th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 04:43post reply

Looks like he actually DOES have that double one handed fireball, if only in the EX version.

I like him. Looks like decent mix up of the typical Shoto style.

Er.....

nobinobita
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 05:53post reply

quote:
Here's a video of Gouken.

I am so BORED.

Even his voice is boring, too young and uninteresting. But since he's not the only one in the game, it's more of a general trend.

I agree that he sounds too young, but I also think there's alot to appreciate about Gouken, at least from a design perspective.

I think he's the coolest looking character in the game, he looks very much like an Ikeno drawing. Also, I really love his stance, which is the same as a nio guardian statue, just like Akuma (as you can obviously tell from the background in that movie).

If you visit a Mahayana Buddhist temple you'll generally see some statues of the nio guardians, who are 2 muscular warriors that protect the Buddha. They each stand guard with slightly different stances and expressions.

One of them is Agyo (Japanese name) who stands guard with his mouth open making an "Ah" sound, hence his name. Agyo represents the beginning (of life among other thigns), as "ah" is the first sound a person can make in life, and it is also the first sound in the sanskrit alphabet. Gouken has Agyo's stance.

Ungyo stands guard with his mouth closed in an "un" shape. He represents the end. "Un" is the last sound of the sanskrit alphabet and also represents the closing of the mouth upon death. Akuma has Ungyo's stance. Also, Akuma/Gouki tends to keep his mouth shut very resolutely. He just makes a grunting "UN!" sound for most of his moves.

I'm glad they followed up with this imagery with Gouken. When I used to have fanboy dream sessions with my friends about how SFIV would be, I thought that for SFIV they should age ryu, give him distinct advanced shoto moves and the Agyo stance so Ryu is the new beginning, Akuma is the end (he's as strong as he can be and now finds life is empty). I'm glad they used this idea with Gouken.

On a related note, i really dig this alternate costume for Akuma.

Time Mage
2710th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 06:49post reply

quote:
Looks like he actually DOES have that double one handed fireball, if only in the EX version.

I like him. Looks like decent mix up of the typical Shoto style.

After seeing the video, I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised. He doesn't fight like a shoto at all, and the design is good. Now my only gripes are storyline related, but I'm not exactly a rabid fan of fighting games storylines anyway (I enjoy them, for background purposed, and that's all).

And the music of that battle is AWESOME. Really.

Digitalboy
562th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 10:31post reply

In before Count Hihihi; the battle music is BADASS!!!1
quote:
And the music of that battle is AWESOME. Really.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Toxico
4474th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 10:42post reply

quote:
In before Count Hihihi; the battle music is BADASS!!!1

Stance like an statue? that's BADASS!!!!!!!11

「原罪の十字架」

Variable Savior
446th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 13:08post reply

MESSATSU is BADASS!!!1

meeting of the memes....

Blood marks heaven's path

Count Hihihi
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sat 27 Sep 18:03post reply

I wish SFIV was this BADASS

Ishmael
3288th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 28 Sep 04:25post reply

quote:
Also, I really love his stance, which is the same as a nio guardian statue, just like Akuma (as you can obviously tell from the background in that movie).

That's interesting. It reminds me of what SNK was doing with the art of Akuma and Mr. Karate in SvC but because Gouken and Akuma actually have a shared history the symbolism is a lot more effective.

While on the subject of Gouken, one thing I do find funny is that he's supposed to be using the less lethal variation of Ansatsuken but Ryu and Ken have moves that have much more in common with Akuma's attacks than anything Gouken is tossing out. I know Gouken's moves are being dictated by gameplay considerations but I am curious to see what sort of goofy explanation Capcom will eventually come up with to explain this difference.

Toxico
4475th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 28 Sep 09:44post reply

quote:
I know Gouken's moves are being dictated by gameplay considerations but I am curious to see what sort of goofy explanation Capcom will eventually come up with to explain this difference.

Do you really expect them to say anything but "It was supposed to be like this from the beginning"?

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Just a Person
1227th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 28 Sep 10:15post reply

quote:
Also, I really love his stance, which is the same as a nio guardian statue, just like Akuma (as you can obviously tell from the background in that movie).

That's interesting. It reminds me of what SNK was doing with the art of Akuma and Mr. Karate in SvC but because Gouken and Akuma actually have a shared history the symbolism is a lot more effective.

While on the subject of Gouken, one thing I do find funny is that he's supposed to be using the less lethal variation of Ansatsuken but Ryu and Ken have moves that have much more in common with Akuma's attacks than anything Gouken is tossing out. I know Gouken's moves are being dictated by gameplay considerations but I am curious to see what sort of goofy explanation Capcom will eventually come up with to explain this difference.

Maybe he went around the world to improve his fighting skills and to learn new techniques when people thought he was dead. Kinda like Jin Kazama in Tekken 4 (except for the "when people thought he was dead" part).

HARO
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 28 Sep 10:42post reply

quote:
I wish SFIV was this BADASS

YES

Gojira
2451th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 28 Sep 10:51post reply

quote:

Short answer: It wasn't their idea

shipoopi

Iron D
3014th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 28 Sep 12:34post reply

quote:

Short answer: It wasn't their idea

It's been years since I've seen that, but I never noticed that Ryu's character select portrait is different there.

Er.....

Ishmael
3290th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Mon 29 Sep 05:08post reply

quote:
Do you really expect them to say anything but "It was supposed to be like this from the beginning"?

Not only do I want representatives from Capcom to show up at my door to explain every facet of Gouken to me but I want them to present me with a basket full of homemade cookies. I don't think I'm asking for too much.

Zepy
1511th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 5 Oct 02:09post reply

Not related but I don't know where else to link this

Ishmael
3300th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 5 Oct 04:39post reply

Just in case you missed it, a video of Bison/Vega vs. Seth/Seth is up on the SF page. For a guy who barely made any noise in SF2 it's amazing how much personality Bison has developed over the years. From the "what the hell?" look on his face when he gets shot of Seth's stomach to how generally happy Bison seems to be with being evil it seems he's gone from trying to be the stoic final boss to a character who is willing to express every emotion he is feeling.

Toxico
4488th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 5 Oct 05:05:post reply

quote:
For a guy who barely made any noise in SF2 it's amazing how much personality Bison has developed over the years.

Wakamoto changes people

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 5 Oct 05:06]

Gojira
2460th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 5 Oct 06:49post reply

quote:
For a guy who barely made any noise in SF2 it's amazing how much personality Bison has developed over the years.

Wakamoto changes people

NUEAOOOOOOOO

shipoopi

Just a Person
1230th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):The Master is here" , posted Sun 5 Oct 10:04post reply

quote:
Just in case you missed it, a video of Bison/Vega vs. Seth/Seth is up on the SF page.

Nice video!

But it's weird that Seth is listed as player 2... does it mean he's going to become playable? I hope so! The blue guy deserves a chance... and a Super Combo as well, since it seems he only got that weird Ultra Combo...

Count Hihihi
129th Post

Regular Customer

"The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 16:28:post reply

Another worthless addition confirmed. SUGOI SUGOI SUGOI SAKURA IS BADASS

[this message was edited by Count Hihihi on Wed 8 Oct 16:39]

Shindekudasai
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 17:00post reply

Super: Haru Ichiban
Ultra: Haru Ichiban with Sakura Otoshi finisher.
Pictures & Movelist courtesy KingJ2002 from snk-capcom.com.

Pollyanna
2564th Post

"Re(2):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 17:13post reply

quote:

Looks pretty good! Shame I don't care.

On the bright side, this might increase Karin's chance of showing up by like...2 or 3%, right?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3026th Post

"Re(2):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 17:32post reply

quote:

Well this should at least somewhat satiate the appetites of those who are whining about the lack of Alpha characters. I like the addition myself.

However, she's still a schoolgirl. Did she flunk high school for a decade straight?

Er.....

Zepy
1512th Post

"Re(3):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 17:33post reply

Man, how many years has it been since SFZ? Why is she still wearing the same uniform!?

Freeter
4428th Post

"Re(4):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 18:26post reply

April Fool's version was better.

So what is her alt? Ryu's smelly gi? Karin's threads? Hinata?

Pollyanna
2565th Post

"Re(4):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 18:26post reply

quote:
Man, how many years has it been since SFZ? Why is she still wearing the same uniform!?

I think the inclusion of Gouken proves that it would have to take place...like...before SFZ?

I always wanted to see an adult Sakura, but the theme of this games is "DEAR GOD DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!"

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3027th Post

"Re(5):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 19:03post reply

quote:
April Fool's version was better.

Yeah, Sakura with that look would have been awesome.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 19:32post reply

April Fool's version was BADASS

Gojira
2462th Post

"Re(7):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 19:59post reply

Sakura looks better as a malnourished cheerleader?

I didn't want Sakura in the game, but whatever. It's funny, when I looked at that page the first thing I saw was that screenshot with Rose in it and I was happy. Then I realized Rose wasn't the new character.

shipoopi

Just a Person
1232th Post

"Re(3):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 20:40post reply

quote:
However, she's still a schoolgirl. Did she flunk high school for a decade straight?

Yeah, she's quite a repeater, just like Athena in KoF...

Pity, I wish she were grown up by now. Nevertheless, she looks nice. But is she in the arcades, or is she the fourth PS3/X360 exclusive character?

Grave
1126th Post

"Re(4):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 21:00post reply

If they're still using the timeline excuse as the reason that SF3 characters aren't in the game, I need to visit Capcom and punch everybody in the neck.

Iron D
3028th Post

"Re(8):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 21:07post reply

quote:

Better than a malnourished schoolgirl who should be at least in her early 20s.

Er.....

Ishmael
3302th Post

"Re(9):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 22:25post reply

Yeah, Sakura and her hoppy punch are back! I'm happy to see that she transferred from her regular school to the Kyo Kusanagi School for Academic Underachivers and will remain in student status for as long as is deemed necessary. Trying to figure out a timeline in something as silly as a fighting game always struck me as a mug's game so I'm glad to see that Capcom seems to going with the idea that all the games are taking place "now" and not really sweating the details.

I'm also happy to see that Sakura managed to sneak her way into yet another 3D game. Whether she's popping in at the last moment in the EX series or showing up like an unwanted guest in the Justice Gakuen series it's now almost expected that Sakura is going to swing into a 3D brawler whether she should be there or not. I wish Tech Romancer had managed to pull off a sequel because I really wanted to play a giant Sakura mech.

Grave
1127th Post

"Re(5):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 22:42post reply

quote:
the theme of this games is "DEAR GOD DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!"

No matter how excited I am to finally get my hands on this game, it depresses me so much that they didn't have the balls to even change a single character's physical appearance slightly. Other than to make everybody more jacked, but that's not what I mean! Wasted opportunities. Lots of them.

Maybe if this makes a lot of money they can then grow their balls back and take some risks? Wishful thinking.

quote:
I wish Tech Romancer had managed to pull off a sequel because I really wanted to play a giant Sakura mech.

You are diseased. Seek help.

Just a Person
1233th Post

"Re(9):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 22:51post reply

quote:

Heh, maybe Capcom pulled a Nina Williams on her and Sakura got in cryogenic sleep for a couple of years... even if there's no reason for that to happen.

But I don't understand what the magazine says... is she another time-released character in the arcades, or is she joining Cammy, Dan and Fei-Long as a PS3/X360 exclusive character?

Anyway, now Capcom only needs to add a SFIII character (any of them, even Twelve), and every SF player will be satisfied. Well, not really all of them, but you got the picture...

Toxico
4497th Post

"Re(6):The Brat is here" , posted Wed 8 Oct 23:24post reply

quote:
Maybe if this makes a lot of money they can then grow their balls back and take some risks? Wishful thinking.

It's quite the opposite, if people really dig this game that would be a call for them to be even more conservative. If this game bombs the franchise would just be buried some more years (which wasn't the case, as this game had some reception, it seems).

Wake me up for the next "surprise" character who (I fear) will (most likely) put me to sleep as well (unless it is someone completely new).

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

CPSIII
156th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 00:43post reply

quote:
No matter how excited I am to finally get my hands on this game, it depresses me so much that they didn't have the balls to even change a single character's physical appearance slightly. Other than to make everybody more jacked, but that's not what I mean! Wasted opportunities. Lots of them.

What about the alternate outfits? They fit your description pretty well, slight appearance changes.

How are you doin'

Grave
1128th Post

"Re(7):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 01:23post reply

quote:
What about the alternate outfits? They fit your description pretty well, slight appearance changes.

It's a nice gesture, but it would have meant a lot more if they could let go of the "iconic" looks they're harping on endlessly about and give us something different to begin with. The default cast with their default looks is ridiculously dull and even some slight aging would have been welcome, if they didn't blow that by placing the game between SF2 and SF3.

Sad part is, I kind of got over it and accepted it until this shit about transplanting Sakura straight from SFA into SF4. It's almost amazing how little they care about this.

Just a Person
1234th Post

"Re(5):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 02:41post reply

quote:
If they're still using the timeline excuse as the reason that SF3 characters aren't in the game, I need to visit Capcom and punch everybody in the neck.

Maybe they can use the popularity excuse, saying that a research showed them that no one cares about the SFIII characters. Of course that's not true, but come on, Ono has said Akuma ranked second in the poll to choose a character to be added to SFIV when Akuma wasn't even listed in the poll...

And no one said here yet whether Sakura will be exclusive to PS3 and X360 or if she's a time-released character in the arcades like Akuma...

Nekros
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 03:20post reply

Oooh, Sakura.... gimme more shotos, please! I want the Sakazakis now. And Demitri, of course.

This is lame. A LOT.

Btw, Ono was bitching about SFIII chars to be to young in the timeline and then shows us a Sakura direct straight from the Zero years. Well done.

I continue to hate SFIV cast.

Just a Person
1235th Post

"Re(7):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 05:55post reply

Nevermind, SRK.com and Wikipedia list Sakura as a PS3/X360-only character.

In that case, I wonder why didn't Famitsu show Cammy, Fei-Long and Dan as well... Well, I don't care about Dan and Fei-Long, but seeing Cammy would be nice.

Gojira
2463th Post

"Re(9):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 06:24post reply

quote:

Obviously she's NOT in her early 20s. Which means she's a bonus who has nothing to do with the story at all (see Rival Schools).

If you really want to drag story into this, I seriously doubt Sakura would be fighting into her early 20's with the same lame reason. If they can make up an excuse to keep her fighting with her ridiculous motivations, they can keep her in the seifuku for all I care. It's just clothes anyway. It's all on the same level of lame.

And I still find that "redesign" extremely unappealing. Even for Sakura.

shipoopi

hikarutilmitt
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 07:16post reply

quote:

Obviously she's NOT in her early 20s. Which means she's a bonus who has nothing to do with the story at all (see Rival Schools).

If you really want to drag story into this, I seriously doubt Sakura would be fighting into her early 20's with the same lame reason. If they can make up an excuse to keep her fighting with her ridiculous motivations, they can keep her in the seifuku for all I care. It's just clothes anyway. It's all on the same level of lame.

And I still find that "redesign" extremely unappealing. Even for Sakura.

I say just give her the gym outfit from Sakura Ganbaru! and make it her alt. Then you can ALL quit your complaining about her apparently not having aged (which isn't a huge deal anyway) and just move on.

Also, home version is a free for all, as long as it's balanced in some way.

Maou
1490th Post

"Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 09:43post reply

quote:

Hmm, I haven't played Justice Gakuen for like four years, but we used to play a LOT of it...didn't Sakura have her own story in the arcade/story mode? I can't remember if she showed up in the life-sim mode, either. Then again, that wasn't in the English version, so few may remember/care. But still!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

ebisumaru
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 10:01post reply

quote:

Hmm, I haven't played Justice Gakuen for like four years, but we used to play a LOT of it...didn't Sakura have her own story in the arcade/story mode? I can't remember if she showed up in the life-sim mode, either. Then again, that wasn't in the English version, so few may remember/care. But still!

She is in the first Nekketsu Seishun Nikki, where you fight her twice in that mode. But strangely, looks like Capcom wanted to retcon her out of the Rival Schools canon, as she's nowhere to be found in Moero!/Project Justice (I really can't remember if you can meet her in Nekketsu Seishun Nikki 2).

Maou
1491th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 10:07post reply

quote:

She is in the first Nekketsu Seishun Nikki, where you fight her twice in that mode. But strangely, looks like Capcom wanted to retcon her out of the Rival Schools canon, as she's nowhere to be found in Moero!/Project Justice (I really can't remember if you can meet her in Nekketsu Seishun Nikki 2).

I knew it! I don't think you can make her like you like you can other characters...or my character would've, but hey. Then again, I couldn't get my hero Hayato to fall in love with my character either, so it goes. No Sakura in Moero!, but plenty of other weirdos, from what I saw. Never played any but the PS Justices, alas.

Tai-Pan
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 10:56post reply

I like the game, I really do..as a fighting game..you know?

But I must also admit that Capcom took the SF storyline/timeline and completelly gang raped it anally till it became a BIG PILE OF SHIT FUCKING PIECE OF FUCK!!

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Gojira
2464th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 10:57post reply

quote:

Nope, just a half-assed ending that had no relevance to the story. I think she did appear in the school sim but I don't think she went beyond guest status there either.

shipoopi

Maou
1492th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 10:59post reply

quote:
BIG PILE OF SHIT FUCKING PIECE OF FUCK!!

I don't like the internet's overly casual use of 'rape', but this meanwhile is hella awesome. Then again, it kind of describes most fighting game stories, come to think of it. I think Soul Calibur might be the only series I remember with a consistent and semi-interesting storyline (as differentiated from interesting characters, which SF of course has).

Maou
1494th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 11:01:post reply

quote:

Nope, just a half-assed ending that had no relevance to the story. I think she did appear in the school sim but I don't think she went beyond guest status there either.

Yeah, that sounds right. No story cinematics in between fights for Sakura, and all that. Like I was saying though, I heard the game got seriously neutered abroad anyway---did the story bits between fights get cut, together with the voice acting?

edit: Talking about 1998's Justice Gakuen in a SF IV thread is subversive, and it makes me happy.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 9 Oct 11:03]

Tai-Pan
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 11:04post reply

quote:
BIG PILE OF SHIT FUCKING PIECE OF FUCK!!
I don't like the internet's overly casual use of 'rape', but this meanwhile is hella awesome. Then again, it kind of describes most fighting game stories, come to think of it. I think Soul Calibur might be the only series I remember with a consistent and semi-interesting storyline (as differentiated from interesting characters, which SF of course has).

I’m sorry if I had to use that word, but suddenly I realized how many years I spent analyzing SF’s storyline. Even with its flaws (The SF storyline), Capcom always gave us the benefit of the doubt…THE BEFENIT OF THE DOUBT. Then I pictured Ono’s face with that smile..HIS smile..always happy and so positive and so generic about SF4’s design, the fans..the industry..the SF name..the sales..I got angry…can’t explain. I’m sorry for using that term. I’m sorry for getting old.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maou
1494th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 11:08post reply

quote:
I’m sorry if I had to use that word, but suddenly I realized how many years I spent analyzing SF’s storyline. Even with its flaws (The SF storyline), Capcom always gave us the benefit of the doubt…THE BEFENIT OF THE DOUBT. Then I pictured Ono’s face with that smile..HIS smile..always happy and so positive and so generic about SF4’s design, the fans..the industry..the SF name..the sales..I got angry…can’t explain. I’m sorry for using that term. I’m sorry for getting old.

Heheheh, somehow all of my rage got syphoned off by the HD Super Street Fighter II artists' terrible (non-) grasp of human anatomy, and then there was either no rage left for SF IV, or it was just bound to be better in comparison. But what I really want to do is play SF III right now. Hmm.

hikarutilmitt
470th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 12:04post reply

quote:

She was in both games and I know that at least in 2 you CAN get her to like you, but you have to do various (easy) things to get to fight her, then you have to beat her and be mean to everyone else. She'll end up liking you just because you beat her in a fight.

Honestly, 2 was my favorite game of the series because it still felt solid, they made some small gameplay changes that balanced it a good amount, Ran and Nagare got added and there was a slew of minigames to play. Moero!... I liked but not a whole lot. The graphics and music were nice, but the game itself felt like a step backward, IMO. The only worthwhile addition to it was the tag feature was expanded to let you have your partners get you out of a double/triple-team.

Shindekudasai
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 12:39post reply

I never had the import, but I can confirm that in the US ver. of Project Justice there was no side-game, no chara creation and no Sakura. However you could unlock 20 or so pre-made extra fighters, one of whom (Hillary) was a direct Sakura clone.

Uhm, SF4 .. relevant .. something .. fuck it.

Iron D
3029th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 15:14post reply

quote:
I never had the import, but I can confirm that in the US ver. of Project Justice there was no side-game, no chara creation and no Sakura. However you could unlock 20 or so pre-made extra fighters, one of whom (Hillary) was a direct Sakura clone.

WTF? I used to play PS1 Rival Schools all the time, and Sakura (not a clone) was DEFINITELY in there, and with an ending. I recall she wasn't part of any other school, but she DID have an ending. It's been years however, and I can't remember what her ending was. I do think it wasn't relevant to the rest of the story though.

quote:

You missed what I was trying to get across here. Perhaps what I should have said was "SHOULD BE at least in her early 20s".

Er.....

Gojira
2466th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 17:15post reply

quote:

WTF? I used to play PS1 Rival Schools all the time, and Sakura (not a clone) was DEFINITELY in there, and with an ending. I recall she wasn't part of any other school, but she DID have an ending. It's been years however, and I can't remember what her ending was. I do think it wasn't relevant to the rest of the story though.

The bolded parts should suffice in pointing out your mistake.

quote:

You missed what I was trying to get across here. Perhaps what I should have said was "SHOULD BE at least in her early 20s".

It doesn't change my response.

shipoopi

Iron D
3030th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 18:09post reply

quote:

The bolded parts should suffice in pointing out your mistake.

Whoops. Got what title we were talking about mixed up with all of the mentions of both of the games in this trhead.

quote:

It doesn't change my response.

Okay. You don't like the fake Sakura redesign. Fine.

I, on the other hand, would have liked to have seen some sort of updated Sakura that somehow fit into the story. BUT, I realize this is a fighting game and that looking for any sort of coherence is pointless. Just wishful thinking.

So basically, I'm seeing that SFIV on home systems will be a dream match.

Er.....

Just a Person
1237th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 21:35:post reply

Sakura in action

I hope videos (or at least screenshots) of Cammy, Dan and Fei-Long also appear soon... Does anyone know if the three of them are shown in the TGS beta test?

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Fri 10 Oct 04:22]

Ishmael
3304th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):The Brat is here" , posted Thu 9 Oct 21:41post reply

The amount of passion a video game school girl can generate is amazing.

quote:

I hope videos (or at least screenshots) of Cammy, Dan and Fei-Long also appear soon... Does anyone know if the three of them are shown in the TGS beta test?

The TGS trailer -courtesy of Gametrailers.com- features anime Dan so it's something I guess.

Just a Person
1237th Post

"Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, Ono..." , posted Fri 10 Oct 21:47post reply

As you know, at Comic-Con it was revealed that Cammy had won the poll to decide which character should be added to the PS3/X360/PC versions of SFIV, right?

Okay, so in August, at the Leipzig Games Convention, 1UP talked to Ono about Cammy, and here's what he said: "As you know, we allowed people to vote on which character they most wanted to see in the console version, and Cammy won, so she's definitely in the game. We have a rough version of her already up and running."

Well, guess what. 1UP talked to Ono again at the Tokyo Game Show, about which new characters would be added to SFIV. Here's what he said about Cammy: "Cammy's appearance in the anime has touched off a lot of talk about how she'll be the next new character, but we still haven't decided on anything yet, so let's call it TBA for now."

Okay, so have I misunderstood him, or did he just "un"-confirmed Cammy? I think it's quite frustrating to say a character will definitely be in, then say you're not sure yet if the character will be in or not. Even though it's quite certain that Cammy will be added to the game, the "un"-confirmation of her in the game is a real shame...

Grave
1130th Post

"Re(1):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Fri 10 Oct 22:28post reply

I think we've established that the guy makes shit up as he goes and will spew bullshit answers to please whoever he's talking to. I wish I wasn't too lazy to find where it was he said that SF3 characters couldn't be in due to timeline concerns. And now Sakura shows up. I don't think I like him.

D`Cloud
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Fri 10 Oct 22:31post reply

I like the sakura model in sf4. the rest is just terrible.

http://www.dustinuy.com

Kikkoken
1168th Post

"Re(1):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Fri 10 Oct 22:54post reply

Cammy would have a greater chance of appearing in the game if she had a fireball in supplement to her dragon punch/cannon spike.

Ishmael
3311th Post

"Re(2):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sat 11 Oct 00:50post reply

I'm guessing that Ono isn't going to "confirm" Cammy since Sakura is the big news of TGS. My guess is Ms. White will be the talking point of the next wave of publicity. That, or her model hasn't been completed yet.

quote:
I don't think I like him.

At this point I love Ono. I'm certain he knows that every thing he says is going to be scrutinized for inconsistencies or SF blasphemy but he still goes out there and states what he needs to say to best serve the game. That takes nerve and I appreciate the amount of transperancy that Capcom has had when it comes to building SF4.

In other news I like the Chun-Li theme of Capcom's booth.

Grave
1131th Post

"Re(3):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sat 11 Oct 01:03post reply

To best serve the game? Doubtful. To best serve ST fans who fear and hate change? Yeah, that's probably more like it. The whole thing thus far has been one long, sloppy blowjob to people still hung up on the SF2 games, and it's still kind of disappointing to me because I thought that was what HDR was supposed to be. Even though that's looking more like an awkward, painful BJ with braces, or one of those Riley Mason ones where she tucks her lips in and it looks like the worst thing ever... um, what was I saying?

Yeah. I'm still really excited to play the game, don't get me wrong, but I'm sick of the treatment of SF3 fans and I'm sick of the lazy, boring cast. Okay, so now even the SFA fans have somebody. What do the SF3 fans get? We have... a couple of Urien/Gill moves on Seth with no explanation. Uh huh. Announce a SF3 character so I can shut up already. All this complaining is getting exhausting.

Just a Person
1239th Post

"Re(4):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sat 11 Oct 01:15post reply

quote:
What do the SF3 fans get? We have... a couple of Urien/Gill moves on Seth with no explanation. Uh huh.

Gouken also has Ryu's thrust kick from SFIII as his focus attack. ^_^

Anyway, popularity seems to be the focus of the choices here. Ibuki is quite popular among SF fans, isn't she? Ono even mentioned her before the arcade release as a possible addition to the home console versions, so I guess she has good chances of making the cut to the game.

Grave
1132th Post

"Re(5):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sat 11 Oct 01:20post reply

Popularity is boring! Put Twelve in there, just to fuck with everybody. I think I'd be too amused to be mad.

They could have avoided this whole mess by pulling a SF3 all over again and giving us a majority of new characters! Of course, then it'd probably sell like SF3 all over again. Just because I understand why they did it doesn't mean that I'm ever going to like it.

Count Hihihi
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sat 11 Oct 01:48post reply

Gouken also having Ryu's thrust kick from SFIII as his focus attack is BADASS

I am not interested in SFIV as a game. Not one bit. But I do get great pleasure when the most idiotic things in the game that makes fans squeal. Oh yeah, the whole "PLZ ADD A SF3 CHARACTOR!" thing isn't that funny anymore. Sure, it's pathetic, but I've heard it too many times already =O(

Ishmael
3312th Post

"Re(6):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sat 11 Oct 03:30post reply

It looks like SF4 will have a full length anime as well. Considering the track record SF has had with anime I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.

quote:
I am not interested in SFIV as a game. Not one bit.

With eleven posts and counting in this thread do you seriously expect anyone to believe that? You're coming across like a little kid who won't admit he has a crush on a girl and teases her instead. When viewed in that context your fixation on this game is almost cute.

GPA
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(7):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sat 11 Oct 04:58post reply

quote:
It looks like SF4 will have a full length anime as well. Considering the track record SF has had with anime I'm not sure if this is good or bad news.

I am not interested in SFIV as a game. Not one bit.
With eleven posts and counting in this thread do you seriously expect anyone to believe that? You're coming across like a little kid who won't admit he has a crush on a girl and teases her instead. When viewed in that context your fixation on this game is almost cute.

Didn't Capcom say they were doing a new anime for the 20th anniversary a long time ago when they announced the Chun Li live action movie? If so, this is probably it and they're just trying to make a bigger deal of the in game anime clips than they are. Still, I can't lie... I'd probably go out of my way to get it if its in a LE release of the game or something.

Tai-Pan
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sun 12 Oct 04:08post reply

quote:
To best serve the game? Doubtful. To best serve ST fans who fear and hate change? Yeah, that's probably more like it. The whole thing thus far has been one long, sloppy blowjob to people still hung up on the SF2 games, and it's still kind of disappointing to me because I thought that was what HDR was supposed to be. Even though that's looking more like an awkward, painful BJ with braces, or one of those Riley Mason ones where she tucks her lips in and it looks like the worst thing ever... um, what was I saying?

Yeah. I'm still really excited to play the game, don't get me wrong, but I'm sick of the treatment of SF3 fans and I'm sick of the lazy, boring cast. Okay, so now even the SFA fans have somebody. What do the SF3 fans get? We have... a couple of Urien/Gill moves on Seth with no explanation. Uh huh. Announce a SF3 character so I can shut up already. All this complaining is getting exhausting.

EXACTLY

nobinobita
423th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sun 12 Oct 07:00post reply

quote:

I'm very interested to see what Studio 4C will do with Street Fighter. They've been doing some fantastic stuff over the years.

MindGame was amazing, Tekkon Kinkreet was very pretty, Genius Party was beeyootiful, and Kemenozume is the best TV show Ive seen in years, though i guess technically that was Madhouse, but it may as well have been 4C.

At the very least they will do something very visually interesting with the SF franchise.

Pollyanna
2572th Post

"Re(8):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sun 12 Oct 07:44post reply

quote:

I'm very interested to see what Studio 4C will do with Street Fighter. They've been doing some fantastic stuff over the years.

MindGame was amazing, Tekkon Kinkreet was very pretty, Genius Party was beeyootiful, and Kemenozume is the best TV show Ive seen in years, though i guess technically that was Madhouse, but it may as well have been 4C.

At the very least they will do something very visually interesting with the SF franchise.

H-how could you not mention Kaiba!? I was kinda lukewarm on the ending, but otherwise, it's one of my favorite shows of all time.

On the subject of SF anime, though...I remember when the movie came out and you had to pay an arm and a leg to get a copy. I used to watch the last battle like...every day for practically a year. I was so upset when they changed the soundtrack for the English release, because the original had been burned into my mind so well.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1641th Post

"Re(8):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sun 12 Oct 08:37post reply

Anecdote:
At the annual poster sale that happens in the main hall of my university, a bunch of students who were around my age were looking at a CvS2 poster. It was just the Capcom side, and they were naming the characters. They could name everybody from SF2, and nobody from outside of that. If I showed them the 3S roster with the SF2 returning guys omitted, I bet they wouldn't be able to identify even one of them.

Blathering:
Sometimes I get the feeling that with SF, we've ran into something like what comic book companies like Marvel had to deal with: you've got a bunch of faithful who've kept up with all the storylines of some characters for years, and want more story built up with that knowledge and background. On the other hand, you have a bunch of kids who aren't going to know what the hell is going on if they're thrust into that kind of story, and need to start from the beginning. And of course you've got some people who just know of the thing, and little more.

No matter what they do there's going to be people unhappy. But if I were tasked with making an SF that will serve as an entry point for all kinds of people who have had little or no exposure to the game, as much as I love SF3 I don't think I'd do it with SF3's cast. I also don't know how many people are enough of a genius to be able to do it with a completely new roster... though if they did, there'd be little point in calling it Street Fighter in the first place.

Baines
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sun 12 Oct 11:34post reply

quote:
But if I were tasked with making an SF that will serve as an entry point for all kinds of people who have had little or no exposure to the game, as much as I love SF3 I don't think I'd do it with SF3's cast.

But to be fair, you'd probably include at least a couple of SF3 characters?

In an SF2-heavy product, you might not want to go with the guys who look too similar... So no Necro (Dhalsim+Blanka). And maybe not even Dudley (anti-Boxer). Possibly not the too weird (No Inspector Gadget, Twelve, or Gill. Mind, I wouldn't have made the SF4 boss, either.) But you've still got possibilities left. (I'd skip Sean too, because the game, heck Capcom as a whole, seems too shoto-heavy.)

Heck, you might even try for at least a token representation of various eras, because you don't know what your audience will remember. (Personally, I'd even include Poison. But with Poison, I wouldn't have Hugo, Sodom, Guy, or Cody return. At least not for a first game.)

Iron D
3032th Post

"Re(9):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Sun 12 Oct 12:15post reply

quote:

Blathering:
Sometimes I get the feeling that with SF, we've ran into something like what comic book companies like Marvel had to deal with: you've got a bunch of faithful who've kept up with all the storylines of some characters for years, and want more story built up with that knowledge and background. On the other hand, you have a bunch of kids who aren't going to know what the hell is going on if they're thrust into that kind of story, and need to start from the beginning. And of course you've got some people who just know of the thing, and little more.

No matter what they do there's going to be people unhappy. But if I were tasked with making an SF that will serve as an entry point for all kinds of people who have had little or no exposure to the game, as much as I love SF3 I don't think I'd do it with SF3's cast. I also don't know how many people are enough of a genius to be able to do it with a completely new roster... though if they did, there'd be little point in calling it Street Fighter in the first place.

I actually thought of this before, but didn't post my thoughts for some reason. You probably put it better than I would have anyway.

The above mentioned mindset is why the iconic comics characters don't change much. At one point Commissioner Gordon wasn't a Commissioner anymore, but he was brought back because due to the cartoon series and movies he's too well associated with the Batman mythos.

At one point (actually at a bunch of points) Norman Osborn was killed off, but he was brought back because he's one of Spidey's most well known rogues.

I'm sure alot of the "hardcore" fighting game fans would love to see some big changes in the SF cast, but apparently Capcom is willing to take the risk of alienating those who recognize the characters as they are.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, O" , posted Sun 12 Oct 22:01post reply

quote:

Blathering:

I actually thought of this before, but didn't post my thoughts for some reason. You probably put it better than I would have anyway.

The above mentioned mindset is why the iconic comics characters don't change much. At one point Commissioner Gordon wasn't a Commissioner anymore, but he was brought back because due to the cartoon series and movies he's too well associated with the Batman mythos.

At one point (actually at a bunch of points) Norman Osborn was killed off, but he was brought back because he's one of Spidey's most well known rogues.

I'm sure alot of the "hardcore" fighting game fans would love to see some big changes in the SF cast, but apparently Capcom is willing to take the risk of alienating those who recognize the characters as they are.

Comic books are just telling stories. If Marvel or DC bring back a character, it's usually because that character carries a legacy to the story. Understandable.

SFIV is a game. It shouldn't need to bring any of the old characters back.

Yeah.

Professor
2515th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Mon 13 Oct 00:25:post reply

I'm pretty sure it's been shown on footage, but this is what SF4's select screen layout looked like:

[==BLANK BAR==]

Basically, they just added Sakura and Akuma on the top left of the arcade layout.

If the select screen in the final version is supposed to be symmetrical, that means there should be two more characters at the top and four at the bottom, totaling to 6.

Seth will be playable, and I'm guessing that Gouken will be as well. Add Dan and Feilong, and that fills 4 slots. So.. two more characters? If one turns out to be cammy, who's the other?

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 13 Oct 00:30]

Iron D
3033th Post

"Re(8):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Mon 13 Oct 01:29post reply

quote:
I'm pretty sure it's been shown on footage, but this is what SF4's select screen layout looked like:

[==BLANK BAR==]

Best representation of a characters select screen I think I've ever seen.

quote:
Seth will be playable, and I'm guessing that Gouken will be as well. Add Dan and Feilong, and that fills 4 slots. So.. two more characters? If one turns out to be cammy, who's the other?

I predict that SUPER BILSTEIN will make his debut in the SF universe. Bank on it.

Er.....

nobinobita
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Cammy: in or out? Make up your mind, On" , posted Mon 13 Oct 12:44post reply

quote:

H-how could you not mention Kaiba!? I was kinda lukewarm on the ending, but otherwise, it's one of my favorite shows of all time.

I've only seen a little of Kaiba, but yeah, it's like... devastatingly good.

It's just I haven't finished watching it yet! I better get on it!

Spoon
1642th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Mon 13 Oct 15:12post reply

quote:

Comic books are just telling stories. If Marvel or DC bring back a character, it's usually because that character carries a legacy to the story. Understandable.

Yeah.

I can't say I particularly care for the story, but it just has more to do with icons and playstyles that were associated with them... though admittedly that association doesn't carry any weight to anybody that doesn't know anything about Street Fighter.

You could make Person A who is a carbon copy of Ryu but doesn't look like Ryu, but if they're going to make a character that's exactly like Ryu and put him into a game called Street Fighter, why not just bank on the image of Ryu in the first place? Or you could make somebody who plays completely differently... and make him somebody else. Somebody like Rufus, or Fuerte. Those guys aren't Ryu.

-----------------------------------

Suppose we take Ono's word that Cammy is in because he said so. That'd leave one character left.

Ono was involved in CFJ. Therefore the last character will be Hauzer. It will be totally awesome.

mbisonhatclub
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Tue 14 Oct 03:03post reply

quote:

Yeah.

I can't say I particularly care for the story, but it just has more to do with icons and playstyles that were associated with them... though admittedly that association doesn't carry any weight to anybody that doesn't know anything about Street Fighter.

You could make Person A who is a carbon copy of Ryu but doesn't look like Ryu, but if they're going to make a character that's exactly like Ryu and put him into a game called Street Fighter, why not just bank on the image of Ryu in the first place? Or you could make somebody who plays completely differently... and make him somebody else. Somebody like Rufus, or Fuerte. Those guys aren't Ryu.

Hey how about that Fighter's History anybody

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

nobinobita
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Tue 14 Oct 04:00post reply

Things just got interesting with SFIV:

http://www.seangilley.com/sf4/kara_focus_dash.wmv

Some expert SF players from Hawaii recently discovered the kara focus dash. It's like an aggressive dashing parry. From what I've heard, you basically move forward, do a focus attack to absorb oncoming attacks then immediately cancel that into a dash which can go almost half screen.

This opens up the game to old school zoning tactics, plus new school aggressive play.

I can't wait to see how people apply this in matches. Sounds like SFIV could be a real evolution gameplay wise.

Gojira
2470th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Tue 14 Oct 04:24post reply

I don't see how that's any better than a regular focus dash cancel though. It probably works as a slightly better way to focus cancel through projectiles, but otherwise it's not such a huge thing to be able to do.

shipoopi

Spoon
1644th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Tue 14 Oct 04:44post reply

I had heard about the kara focus dash on SRK, and it sounds like it'll be fun... though Ken seems like the kara character in this game, with kara-everything for him! Kara throw, kara dash, kara EX hurricane kick... how long is it before kara SRK like in CvS2 (admittedly it didn't get used much...)?

A vid by gilley about kara dash into kara throw for half-screen throw setups haha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okizE0LZwrc

I have a feeling this will be good for Sagat, too... it's already known that he's got a good normal for kara'ing with since he has kara knee.

Black_Hayato
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Wed 15 Oct 12:45:post reply

Its not that 3 was a failure. Compared to most fighting games at the time I think it fared well and is still widely played today.

I think problem is that in Capcom's priorities making a good sequel to 3 comes 2nd to maintaining and building the brand, mythos and iconism that is SF2. To Capcom changing Ryu would be like changing Mickey Mouse, Mario, Spiderman or Superman. They may get a new look every now and then, but will always revert back to they're root design. We'll have to come to terms that the world warriors will never change.

3 was a great game, but not the pop culture sensation that was 2. If Street Fighter 3 came out first in 1991. I'm sure we'd be bitching about how they never change Elena, she's always in her underwear.

[this message was edited by Black_Hayato on Wed 15 Oct 13:14]

Iron D
3034th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Wed 15 Oct 18:18post reply

quote:
I'm sure we'd be bitching about how they never change Elena, she's always in her underwear.

That's not something I'd ever complain about...

Er.....

Iggy
8701th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Wed 15 Oct 19:04post reply

quote:
Its not that 3 was a failure.

That's not even a question. 3 was a failure. A huge commercial failure. The whole CPS3 project was a terrible failure that had heavy repercussions throughout all Capcom, led to the downfall of the whole 2D team, even those who didn't work on SF3, and the rise to absolute power of the arrogant 3D team.

Count Hihihi
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Cammy: in or out? Open your wallet!" , posted Wed 15 Oct 20:15post reply

Oh, and hey, ever thought that maybe Capcom just made the poll to see who to sell as DLC?

Iron D
3035th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Wed 15 Oct 21:34post reply

quote:
Its not that 3 was a failure.
That's not even a question. 3 was a failure. A huge commercial failure. The whole CPS3 project was a terrible failure that had heavy repercussions throughout all Capcom, led to the downfall of the whole 2D team, even those who didn't work on SF3, and the rise to absolute power of the arrogant 3D team.

I seriously doubt it was that bad. If that were the case, why did Cap continue making 2d fighters for at least a couple of years after 3rd Strike? If it was a failure of the proportions you're stating, I'd think that all 2d production would have shut down immdediately, including 2d non-fighting games. Heck, if it were that bad I'd think 2d production would have ceased after even New Generation.

Er.....

Iggy
8702th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Wed 15 Oct 23:17post reply

quote:
Heck, if it were that bad I'd think 2d production would have ceased after even New Generation.

They could have if it wasn't tied to the CPS3. You can ditch a game or a series, but a whole board, that's a different story...

But indeed, that team was too powerful at the time. They were too much "art for art's sake", which led to decisions such as postponing 3rd strike just to polish Chunli, to the point that the rest of the team had time to add Remy. In the meantime, Zero3, done quickly by a (somewhat) second-rate team, ended up ten times more profitable than that.

And they didn't fall alone: they were seriously weakened, though they were indestructible, and didn't see the rise of the 3D, led by Inafune's Bio team. After 3rd Strike, the anathema felt on the other 2D teams.
The reason why Funamizu&co left after CvS2, despise its good results, was because it was nearly impossible for 2D artists to work at Capcom anymore.
Times change.

Time Mage
2713th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Thu 16 Oct 06:48post reply

Wow. I don't think you really know how much that saddens me. Thinking a wonderful game as Third Strike was such a failure... Specially considering what you've just said (delaying it to polish a character, that's love), and the fact that Funamizu had to leave Capcom after CvS2 because making 2D games was impossible... Argh.

Speaking of which... What happened to Funamizu? Last thing I know of him is that he made the awesome Chou Dragon Ball Z (the only DB game I consider a true fighting game), but I haven't seen anything from Craft&Meister after that. I'm always hoping for a Chou DBZ 2, if only to have more characters to play with.

Black_Hayato
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Thu 16 Oct 06:52post reply

Possibly the term, "failure" applied here is a little more relative. I guess from a dollar and cent perspective, they probably just broke even or worse; with ports and such. So can you really blame them for hugging 2 to tightly?

Iron D
3038th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your " , posted Fri 17 Oct 00:26post reply

quote:
Possibly the term, "failure" applied here is a little more relative. I guess from a dollar and cent perspective, they probably just broke even or worse; with ports and such. So can you really blame them for hugging 2 to tightly?

Well, I guess it's a good thing that not ALL of Cap's 2d was done away with, as there were still 2d Megaman games and such released afterwards. Not as many as pre-CvS2 obviously, but what compnay is making as many 2d games these days as they were in the 90's?

Er.....

Red Falcon
6054th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Fri 17 Oct 01:59:post reply

quote:

I seriously doubt it was that bad. If that were the case, why did Cap continue making 2d fighters for at least a couple of years after 3rd Strike? If it was a failure of the proportions you're stating, I'd think that all 2d production would have shut down immdediately, including 2d non-fighting games. Heck, if it were that bad I'd think 2d production would have ceased after even New Generation.

Iggy is correct, the CPS 3 and development on it was a huge failure in every respect (the fact that the board is shoddy as hell and dies if you touch it wrong doesn't help matters either) The earlier SF 3 games were bombs period, and 3S didn't become popular until some time after it had been out, and by then it was way too late to make up for the high development costs.

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Fri 17 Oct 02:01]

Iron D
3039th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Cammy: in or out? Make up your m" , posted Fri 17 Oct 02:41post reply

quote:

Iggy is correct, the CPS 3 and development on it was a huge failure in every respect (the fact that the board is shoddy as hell and dies if you touch it wrong doesn't help matters either) The earlier SF 3 games were bombs period, and 3S didn't become popular until some time after it had been out, and by then it was way too late to make up for the high development costs.

I didn't say it wasn't a failure at all; the CPS3 being a financial failure is widely known. I was just saying that it alone wasn't the downfall of all 2d at Capcom. For one, Capcom didn't completely quit on 2d games after the CPS3 and secondly, while Cap did focus much more on 3d than 2d after 3S most companies were doing the same thing at about the same time.

Er.....

Just a Person
1241th Post

"New artworks and info on Gouken and Seth" , posted Sat 18 Oct 00:28post reply

Capcom updated the SFIV's website for the domestic release (PS3, X360 and PC) with new BADASS artworks for Gouken and Seth. I don't think Gouken needed a new artwork (though this new one is better than the previous one, which was already good), but Seth's is MUCH better than the lame one we got before (which didn't even show him in the right color).

I don't understand Japanese, but someone at SRK.com said the website is confirming both Seth and Gouken to be playable in the domestic versions of SFIV. Which is not exactly shocking news. I wonder when they will finally give information on Cammy...

Count Hihihi
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):New artworks and info on Gouken and Set" , posted Sat 18 Oct 01:39post reply

quote:

new BADASS artworks for Gouken and Seth are BADASS

When are they giving us Sheng Long from SF3? Because Ono.

Ishmael
3317th Post

"Re(1):New artworks and info on Gouken and Set" , posted Sat 18 Oct 02:42post reply

Pictures of Sakura and Akuma doing that thing they do courtesy of Game Watch.

Just a Person
1242th Post

"Re(2):New artworks and info on Gouken and Set" , posted Sat 18 Oct 02:46post reply

quote:

new BADASS artworks for Gouken and Seth are BADASS

When are they giving us Sheng Long from SF3? Because Ono.

You know, now that Gouken and Seth are confirmed as playable (and Gouki was even showed as playable at the Tokyo Game Show), I am thinking... Sakura, Dan and Fei-Long (and Cammy, even though Ono wants to unconfirm her) will most likely be selectable by default in the consoles, but will the same apply to Gouki, Seth and Gouken?? Or will they be secret/unlockable characters, since one of them is the game's final boss and the other two are secret bosses??

If the three of them are selectable by default, I guess we'd see only one more additional character (totalizing 24 characters, thus six complete lines at the select screen). But if they are secret, I guess we can count with at least two additional characters, up to four additional characters (as unlikely as it is)...

mbisonhatclub
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):New artworks and info on Gouken and Set" , posted Sat 18 Oct 06:16post reply

Awesome, Gouken, I wonder when Gouken's own trainer or Gouken's dad or Akuma's distant cousin (who is even more powerfuler) is going to be in Street Fighter and be playable, so we can feel the jedi chi flowing within us as we play Street Fighter 6 which happens between and Street fighter 1 and Street Fighter Alpha 1 and features Blanka as the boss and he has psycho powers

Variable Savior
448th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):New artworks and info on Gouken and Set" , posted Sat 18 Oct 07:47post reply

quote:

You know, now that Gouken and Seth are confirmed as playable (and Gouki was even showed as playable at the Tokyo Game Show), I am thinking... Sakura, Dan and Fei-Long (and Cammy, even though Ono wants to unconfirm her) will most likely be selectable by default in the consoles, but will the same apply to Gouki, Seth and Gouken?? Or will they be secret/unlockable characters, since one of them is the game's final boss and the other two are secret bosses??

Well, I spent some time the other day with SFIV and played against some guy who kept chosing Gouki. I don't recall seeing him on the select screen so I assume he was accessing him via some kinda of code (ala SSF2T).

Blood marks heaven's path

Ishmael
3320th Post

"More Seth Stuff" , posted Wed 22 Oct 04:32post reply

Shots of Seth's moves are up at Famitsu. The picture of everyone in the background politely clapping when Ryu slams face-first into the screen is my personal fave.

Burning Ranger
1576th Post

"SF2 Turbo Comic" , posted Wed 22 Oct 06:18post reply

Now going slightly off topic, has anyone read Udon's new "Street Fighter II Turbo" comic? Issue 2 is supposed to feature Abel and have a bit of his backstory.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Ktallguy
1038th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):More Seth Stuff" , posted Wed 22 Oct 06:49:post reply

quote:
Shots of Seth's moves are up at Famitsu. The picture of everyone in the background politely clapping when Ryu slams face-first into the screen is my personal fave.

Seth is not SUPER hard like an SNK boss, but he's pretty annoying.

I don't know what difficulty level I played him on though. Just his ultra animation is like 5 years long.

Edit: Isn't this screenshot kind of... weird?
Look at Ryu's face... it looks like NBA Jam.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20081015/sf404.htm

Play to win.

[this message was edited by Ktallguy on Wed 22 Oct 06:55]

Count Hihihi
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):More Seth Stuff" , posted Wed 22 Oct 18:23:post reply

The picture of everyone in the background politely clapping when Ryu slams face-first into the screen is BADASS

[this message was edited by Count Hihihi on Wed 22 Oct 18:25]

Spoon
1654th Post

"Re(2):More Seth Stuff" , posted Thu 23 Oct 10:27post reply

quote:

I don't know what difficulty level I played him on though. Just his ultra animation is like 5 years long.

His Ultra and its effect on other characters is the best part of SF4, imo.

It's been a long time since any game has had a super that entertained me and my friends nearly as much as Seth's Ultra.

Ktallguy
1038th Post

"Re(3):More Seth Stuff" , posted Thu 23 Oct 11:07post reply

What does it actually do? I was too busy kicking his ass to try it out. :p

Is it just the face against the glass thing?

Play to win.

Spoon
1655th Post

"Re(4):More Seth Stuff" , posted Thu 23 Oct 16:32post reply

quote:

He vacuums you into that thing in his stomach (the way your character distorts when he gets sucked in looks cool), and then he charges up and shoots you out. If the move KOs you, then it leaves your character's face gloriously plastered on the screen for an extended period of time.

Just a Person
1243th Post

"Re(5):More Seth Stuff" , posted Thu 23 Oct 19:35post reply

quote:

He vacuums you into that thing in his stomach (the way your character distorts when he gets sucked in looks cool), and then he charges up and shoots you out. If the move KOs you, then it leaves your character's face gloriously plastered on the screen for an extended period of time.

Yup. His Ultra Combo has been shown in quite a few YouTube videos, actually. And I think it's also shown in the Seth Vs. Dictator video at the SFIV official website.

I don't remember, however, seeing his Super Combo. From Famitsu's pictures, it seems his color turns to black, but I have no idea of what else happens during this Super Combo.

And have I already said that Seth's new artwork (differently from the disappointing old one) is extremely cool? Because it is.

Nekros
107th Post

Regular Customer

"New sightings" , posted Wed 29 Oct 18:30post reply

Dan and FeiLong spotted on Play Magazine:

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=49304117sa5.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/my.php?image=80316414tb1.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=55764407th3.jpg

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=36644195dl4.jpg

Pollyanna
2576th Post

"Re(1):New sightings" , posted Wed 29 Oct 20:30post reply

quote:

That face Dan is making is the kind of badass that I can appreciate.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3325th Post

"Re(2):New sightings" , posted Wed 29 Oct 22:52post reply

Think about it, an incredible amount of cumulative work over many years went into advancing computer technology to the point that programmers can now create an interactive, 3D enviornment in which Dan can make stupid faces. I approve of this.

Iggy
8711th Post

"Re(3):New sightings" , posted Wed 29 Oct 23:29post reply

Unfortunately, the only thing that game makes me think about is how an incredible amount of cumulative work over many years went into advancing computer technology to the point that Ken can finally fight Ryu for hours while everyone else around dies of boredom.

Just a Person
1250th Post

"Re(2):New sightings" , posted Thu 30 Oct 00:55post reply

quote:

Yes, it is! They look very good, very interesting!

Now, Capcom needs to show us Cammy. Or the SFA3-only character Ono hinted at a Famitsu interview (probably Karin or Rainbow Mika - since Sakura is in it, I am currently betting on the former).

Nekros
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):New sightings" , posted Thu 30 Oct 01:47post reply

quote:
Or the SFA3-only character Ono hinted at a Famitsu interview (probably Karin or Rainbow Mika - since Sakura is in it, I am currently betting on the former).

Yup. Karin is the one. Or maybe not.
Hint: Gen appears in the anime.

Just a Person
1251th Post

"Re(4):New sightings" , posted Thu 30 Oct 03:08post reply

quote:
Or the SFA3-only character Ono hinted at a Famitsu interview (probably Karin or Rainbow Mika - since Sakura is in it, I am currently betting on the former).

Yup. Karin is the one. Or maybe not.
Hint: Gen appears in the anime.

But even if we disconsider the first SF game, Gen was also in SFA2, so he can't be considered a "SFA3-only" fighter...

GekigangerV
1601th Post

"Re(3):New sightings" , posted Thu 30 Oct 03:51post reply

quote:

Yes, it is! They look very good, very interesting!

Now, Capcom needs to show us Cammy. Or the SFA3-only character Ono hinted at a Famitsu interview (probably Karin or Rainbow Mika - since Sakura is in it, I am currently betting on the former).

In the last blog update there was a small Q&A and one of the questions was about wanting Cody in and the response was something like "we get that question all the time and it has been conveyed to the staff"

Grave
1133th Post

"Re(4):New sightings" , posted Thu 30 Oct 06:59post reply

While the only thing I hate more than endless pandering to ST fans is endless pandering to A3 fans, even I would be happy to see Karin in another game. Or even Cody, so long as it's non-jailbird Cody.

Gojira
2473th Post

"SFA3 character rumor" , posted Thu 30 Oct 10:47:post reply

The SFA3 thing was just a false rumor started by some blog. It came from a mistranslation of the Famitsu interview linked somewhere on this thread (look for Seth's moves or something) where Ono is asked about any more new console characters and says something about if they added everyone they wanted it would end up like SFZ3's roster. HE SAID THIS NEGATIVELY. Yes it's a little strange considering that he has been all about the SF2 characters being in, but the point was that he wasn't going to add everyone that was ever a SF character, that there were limits to how far they'd take it (and maybe implying that A3 took it too far). Missing this important point caused the internet to explode into tomfoolery and that's why we have this stupid SFA3 rumor.

In other words, no SFA3 characters were hinted in that interview AT ALL.

EDIT: Here was the link if you're too lazy to scroll up

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Thu 30 Oct 10:57]

Iggy
8712th Post

"Re(1):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Thu 30 Oct 19:29post reply

The annoying thing is that since a silly April fool made it to the game, a mistranslation can as well. That's what you get by listening exclusively to your fans and not having any clear view on your own.

Count Hihihi
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Thu 30 Oct 23:38post reply

quote:
The annoying thing is that since a silly April fool made it to the game, a mistranslation can as well. That's what you get by listening exclusively to your fans and not having any clear view on your own.

Ono has a sweet BADASS job. Giving interviews and then calling up Dimps to say "whoops, add Ibuki too while you're at it"

Ishmael
3329th Post

"Re(3):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 4 Nov 01:46post reply

Pictures of the anime and what's for lunch are both previewed at Dengeki Online.

mbisonhatclub
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 4 Nov 05:40post reply

>would end up like SFZ3's roster.
>end up like SFZ3's roster
>like SFZ3's roster

oh and not SF2's roster instead fucking homo douchebag

but then again sfz3 was like ssf2+itself i mean good grief

this is almost as bad as the direction of school rumble z

also your mom

y2k
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 02:52post reply

http://www.gamed.nl/view/50309

gen and cammy CONFIRMED!

i think gen is a really cool choice, even though i was never too big a fan of him in the alpha series. thats gotta be it for console exclusive characters though. i cant see them adding anymore.

Toxico
4532th Post

"Re(3):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 03:24post reply

quote:
i think gen is a really cool choice

When I see how death character "stay death", I'm beggining to think that SF is somewhat based on Kinnikuman.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Spoon
1666th Post

"Re(4):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 03:34post reply

quote:
i think gen is a really cool choice

When I see how death character "stay death", I'm beggining to think that SF is somewhat based on Kinnikuman.

Gen's face look so much older now.
I guess failing to die for so long has really stressed him out.

y2k
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 03:51post reply

oh yeah, he did die didnt he? lol

i'm just gonna assume that the hidden characters arent canon to the story at all

Ishmael
3330th Post

"Gen 1, Fools 0" , posted Wed 5 Nov 03:58post reply

I'm glad to see Gen hasn't taken that plunge off Geese Tower yet and could make it back for SF4. The longer beard and hair bun is a nice touch.

It also really makes me smile to see that the first picture I've seen of Cammy in SF4 is of her getting gut punched by a very manic looking Fei Long.

Count Hihihi
140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Gen 1, Fools 0" , posted Wed 5 Nov 04:19post reply

The longer beard and hair bun is a nice BADASS touch.

Just a Person
1252th Post

"Re(6):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 04:23post reply

quote:
oh yeah, he did die didnt he? lol

i'm just gonna assume that the hidden characters arent canon to the story at all

If I remember correctly, he was presumed dead after SFZ3, due to him being already very old and having leuchemia. But I don't remember any official source confirming his death, so he may be still alive with no problem with the SF plot (actually, even less problem than in the case of M.Bison or Gouken).

I loved these inclusions (that is, assuming they are REALLY confirmed, since Ono said once he had some character models in-game that could be out of the final cut), Gen and Cammy look great (although it's weird that Cammy's scar doesn't seem to appear in her in-game model in any side of her face, only in her portrait)!

The only sad part is that SFIII fans will probably be left unhappy; after Ono said he didn't want SFIV to have as many characters as SFZ3 had, and considering SFIV currently has (again, assuming Cammy and Gen are confirmed) 24 characters against SFZ3's 25 (28 if we consider Balrog, Juli and Juni), I think this may be the final roster of SFIV... it doesn't bother me at all, but other people may get upset with it.

Time Mage
2714th Post

"Re(7):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 08:03post reply

I didn't expect Gen at all, and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised, for the addition itself, and for the appearance: I think he looks really good. Also, he's always been a very interesting character gameplay-wise, so that's a plus, too.

And regarding Cammy, I think the modeling of her face is pretty good. Normally, SFIV characters faces are not so good when first revealed (Fei Long was the last example, now looking really good), but Gen and Cammy both look great from the beginning.

Also, I love Dan's faces.

Grave
1137th Post

"Re(7):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 08:32post reply

Looking pretty good. Dan and Fei Long are looking absolutely perfect right now, Gen's a welcome surprise, and it's good to actually see Cammy after her being mentioned so long ago. However, if we see more screens in a month or two saying that T. Hawk and Deejay are in without the inclusion of any SF3 characters, I think it'll be time to begin draining the blood from Ono's body.

quote:
The only sad part is that SFIII fans will probably be left unhappy

Yes, this is a perpetual state of affairs.

Iron D
3054th Post

"Re(8):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 08:36post reply

Gen...FUCK YEAH! One of the most interesting characters gameplay wise in the history of fighting games, and a personal favorite of mine.

The other additions are nice as well, but Gen really has me jazzed.

Er.....

Nekros
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 5 Nov 19:28post reply

The new chars are a good addition to the roster (excluding Dan) and they're also among my favourites SF characters. But the didn't surprise me. We already know that Dan and FeiLong are coming, Sakura and Cammy have LOTS of fans who praise them to be in the game and Gen is in the anime, giving a suggestion that he may have a link with SFIV's story.

Now, seems that at least 2 characters have to be announced till the end of the year. And maybe other 2 or 4, if Ono will use some of the harsh models that are left. I hope for at least 2 SF3 chars, but if I know well Ono, the next (and perhaps last) fighters will be T-hawk and DeeJay.

Just a Person
1254th Post

"Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Thu 6 Nov 00:47post reply

quote:
Now, seems that at least 2 characters have to be announced till the end of the year. And maybe other 2 or 4, if Ono will use some of the harsh models that are left. I hope for at least 2 SF3 chars, but if I know well Ono, the next (and perhaps last) fighters will be T-hawk and DeeJay.

Well, we already have 24 characters, which not only is a high number according to Ono, but completes the select screen just fine. But yeah, maybe Gouken and Seth (and even Gouki, although I think that's unlikely) will be unlockable characters (since they are bosses and all), opening space for more two characters.

However, I doubt in this scenario that two SF3 chars would be added. We can feel lucky if one of them turns out to be Ibuki (I don't know, she seems to be the most recognizable one from the newcomers in SF3, and she's a girl - since Ono said he'd like to balance the genders ratio), in the end.

TreIII
157th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 08:28post reply

Looks like there's one more SFA/SFZ character to be had....and it's Rose. Ono sez: "No SF3 for you!"

http://www.jontendo.co.uk/gfx/roster.jpg

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Toxico
4538th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 10:24post reply

quote:
Looks like there's one more SFA/SFZ character to be had....and it's Rose. Ono sez: "No SF3 for you!"

I wonder what other death character will make it into the game... Perhaps a SFIII character has a chance of showing up if they haven't actually been born in the SFIV time period, and hence they aren't alive yet.

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Tai-Pan
309th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 10:46post reply

quote:

... since Ono said he'd like to balance the genders ratio), in the end.

He is a compulsive liar anyway. Forget that SF3 ever existed.

Juan
4489th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 11:38:post reply

quote:

Why does Gouken has badly cropped tootsie rolls/twix on his fingers?

He's not THAT BADASS.

[this message was edited by Juan on Mon 10 Nov 11:51]

Red Falcon
6064th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 11:53post reply

Juan's right, he does have chocolate bars for fingers, ha ha ha. FORGERY!

Best site EVER:Link Here

Juan
4490th Post

"SHARK ALERT SHARK ALERT SHARK ALERT SHARK ALE" , posted Mon 10 Nov 12:03:post reply

quote:

IM A SHHHHAAAARRRRRRKKKK

[this message was edited by Juan on Mon 10 Nov 12:05]

Count Hihihi
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 18:03:post reply

quote:

He is a compulsive liar anyway. Forget that SF3 ever existed.

I'm so cool that I will forget that SFIV exists. Because there isn't a single reason to play it...

...except that it's BADASS.

[this message was edited by Count Hihihi on Mon 10 Nov 18:14]

Count Hihihi
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 18:08post reply

Oh, and does anyone else find it rather odd and out of character for Dhalsim to go "FUCK YEAH! USA USA USA!" in his character select screen portrait?

Just a Person
1257th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 19:16post reply

quote:

I wonder what other death character will make it into the game... Perhaps a SFIII character has a chance of showing up if they haven't actually been born in the SFIV time period, and hence they aren't alive yet.

Was she even confirmed as dead, anyway? She seems to be in the same situation as Gen: assumed as dead, but without any confirmation.

Oh well, if it's true (and it seems so; her portrait is quite consistent with the artwork style SFIV has been following), part of me is glad Rose is back (she's a very cool character), and other part of me is sad that no SFIII character made the cut (although SFIII happens only after SFIV, some of the characters were probably already involved with street fighting before the third tournament).

At least it's Rose, and not T.Hawk and Dee Jay. Nothing against these two, but Rose is just better.

(BTW, those jontendo links aren't working here; found the supposed select screen at the Fighters Generation website)

Ishmael
3335th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Mon 10 Nov 23:04post reply

Less Willy Wonka-esque version of the picture. My guess is that Rose was added in order to compete with C.Viper for the poutiest expression.

While I like SF3 I do wonder how many characters from that series would actually be good additions to the roster. First, about a fourth of the SF3 cast was made up of fighters from previous games and they are all in SF4 as well. Second, a number of characters in SF3 have playing styles that have already been filled in the roster. For example, Remy might seem redundant if Guile is already in the game. With those two factors in mind there aren't a lot of SF3 characters left who could make the cut. Since there are a huge number of SF characters the decision not to have any SF3 representation could be more luck of the draw than anything else.

This thread is bloated.

Iggy
8720th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 11 Nov 00:22post reply

quote:
First, about a fourth of the SF3 cast was made up of fighters from previous games and they are all in SF4 as well. Second, a number of characters in SF3 have playing styles that have already been filled in the roster. For example, Remy might seem redundant if Guile is already in the game.

I wouldn't be so sure. Remy and Guile play really differently; the real question would be wether Remy's playstyle (or any of the other playstyles: Necro don't play like Dahlsim or Blanka at all) could translate well in a system without parrying. That's the problem with crossovers : I'm not sure Makoto or Urien would fare well outside of 3rd Strike (Urien was boring as hell in Jam).
Much standard characters, such as Dudley, Yun/Yang, Ibuki or Oro would have to be reinvented to fit in SF4. The SF2 characters were much simpler, and SFZero didn't have any clear concept or formula to begin with so its characters translate more easily to other engines.

On the other hand, Vega or Balrog would outright suck in 3rd Strike the way they are now.

Just a Person
1258th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 11 Nov 00:56post reply

quote:
Less Willy Wonka-esque version of the picture. My guess is that Rose was added in order to compete with C.Viper for the poutiest expression.

That's true. Their facial expressions (or lack of) are very similar, what got me thinking for an hour if maybe the picture would be fake, with someone altering Viper's portrait to make it look like Rose. But there are a good number of differences (shape of the eyes, mouth, hair; although they seem to have the same shape of eyebrows, but I can be wrong), so it's probably real.

Time Mage
2715th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 11 Nov 02:18post reply

quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. Remy and Guile play really differently; the real question would be wether Remy's playstyle (or any of the other playstyles: Necro don't play like Dahlsim or Blanka at all) could translate well in a system without parrying. That's the problem with crossovers : I'm not sure Makoto or Urien would fare well outside of 3rd Strike (Urien was boring as hell in Jam).
Much standard characters, such as Dudley, Yun/Yang, Ibuki or Oro would have to be reinvented to fit in SF4. The SF2 characters were much simpler, and SFZero didn't have any clear concept or formula to begin with so its characters translate more easily to other engines.

On the other hand, Vega or Balrog would outright suck in 3rd Strike the way they are now.

In fact, I think Remy would actually be overpowered if translated pretty directly to SFIV from SFIII: Guile's low recovery time on fireballs plus high and low fireballs like Sagat, without parries, makes a really powerful tool in SFIV. That, plus his other options, would make Remy pretty good, at least in theory.

On the other hand, there are other characters, like Elena, who is a poke heavy character, who I think would fit pretty well in SFIV. Alex would also fit pretty naturally, and Dudley too, as well.

If you want my opinion (if you don't, I'm going to write it anyway :P), I think they are reserving the SFIII for a second iteration of SFIV, if things go well. Not only it could be set a bit later in time, allowing for many SFIV characters to make more sense (even if it's pretty much proved that they don't care too much about consistency), but it also could be used to hook the SFIII fans once the ST and old games fans were actually hooked to the game.

Oh, and I love Rose's addition, BTW.

karasu99
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 11 Nov 02:51post reply

quote:
On the other hand, there are other characters, like Elena, who is a poke heavy character, who I think would fit pretty well in SFIV. Alex would also fit pretty naturally, and Dudley too, as well.

Yeah, I'm surprised that someone like Alex hasn't been included-- he's had a pretty high profile of late, so I honestly have been expecting him.

As a forum new guy, I have to say I'm impressed by SFIV on a bunch of counts, like the animation, art direction, facial expressions, 2-D gameplay, and the few new characters (who fit in pretty well, surprisingly), but I'm disappointed in a few things too-- the SFII-heavy roster, for one. I mean, I was happy way back when SFZ3 was revealed to include all of the SF2 characters, but that was because they had 'bridged' the chronologically older SFZ with the chronologically newer SFII in a satisfying way. But here they've just blown their proverbial wad straightaway. Oh yeah, and Gouken's inclusion is just silly.

But I think you're right about an update in the future to include new characters. Those kinds of updates rarely add more than just a few new faces.

Really, I just don't know where they were going with the roster for SFIV, what they were trying to accomplish, or who they were trying to please with it.

Iron D
3056th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 11 Nov 04:27post reply

quote:

Was she even confirmed as dead, anyway? She seems to be in the same situation as Gen: assumed as dead, but without any confirmation.

I came here to say this and was beaten to it. To my memory, it was never actually confirmed that Rose or Gen had died after the events of Alpha, so they could actually be canonically in SFIV.

Either that, or they are just simply bonus characters that most folks currently think they are.

Er.....

Spoon
1672th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 11 Nov 04:41post reply

Some of the things about Dudley would be a poor fit for SF4. His wide variety of juggle combos don't really fit with the rest of the cast, and towards+MK as-is might be just a little too good in the SF4 world.

Necro is also a combo-heavy character, and having him, Blanka, and Sim in the same game might feel kinda weird. Necro's short-meter Electric Snake could be re-tooled into an EX-only move that costs two bars, but to me letting him have ES and some other super he could use as a real reversal dampens the experience of Necro. I'd also be wary of all the hitconfirm ES combos, that would also feel out of place in SF4... sure you can combo into supers in SF4, even with juggles or supercancels, but poke->hitconfirm->super comes across to me as one of the elements they wanted to reduce in the game. Jab twirly punch would almost certainly have to be nerfed in order to prevent excessive abuse of it in a Parry-less world.

Sean would fit fine in SF4, however. Unfortunately, we've already got characters with crackshoot-like overheads, so his appeal might be dampened.

Charge-partition Remy might be a little too good in SF4, since there's no Parry. You could try focusing your way through, but you'd probably get hit by another boom during your forward dash, or if your dash brings you too close to Remy, he might just flash kick you. Anyway, I wouldn't want him in a game where his presence would dilute or be diluted by that of Sagat and Guile.

I think that Elena is the best fit for SF4, seeing as how she is a pokey-pokey character, was not predicated on long combos, doesn't have anything that would make you go "she wouldn't be able to get away with that if Parry was in the game", and fits the "World Warrior" criteria of having a strong cultural motif (and one that is not already represented in the game).

HAYATO
888th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"About SF canon..." , posted Tue 11 Nov 07:39:post reply

Well, not that I care much about it anymore but, does anyone know what the current state of SF canon is? Judging by the latest additions to the roster, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Zero series ends out of the official timeline, just like SF2 and SFZ did...

Or, perhaps, this means that SF2 really happened in the end... Damn you Crapcom, stop toying with my mind!!!!

Update: Pay no heed to my speech here, as another threadde hath recently emerged...

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Tue 11 Nov 07:45]

Count Hihihi
143th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Tue 11 Nov 14:35post reply

OH HAY GUYZ AND SF3 CHARACTERS LIKE REMY DUDLEY NECRO SEAN ELENA URIEN ALEX AND OTHER BADASSES WOULD NOT TRANSLATE WELL TO SFIV BECAUSE THEY ARE SPRITES OK

Ktallguy
1041th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):SFA3 character rumor" , posted Wed 12 Nov 11:30post reply

Ibuki ;(

Play to win.