Original message (6672 Views )

ZamIAm
1750th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"MK vs DCU New Thread" , posted Thu 11 Sep 10:48post reply

Old thread: http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/12792.shtml

MKast 6 is up.

Clarifies some things about Rage mode and a few other things in the design process. It's interesting to hear what Tobias's original plans for Kung Lao and Kitana were. Most interesting is the concept of Kitana having become a bit "too nice" as opposed to being a "bad girl with a heart of gold". I think the brief little voice sample in the podcast is actually an exchange between Liu Kang and Kitana. Speaking of Liu Kang, comparing his trials to the classic Hero's Journey brings a huge amount of insight to a character that many write off as cheesy or past his time.

Replies:

Ishmael
3273th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):MK vs DCU New Thread" , posted Fri 12 Sep 02:02post reply

Ah, good idea, the last thread was getting a bit puffy.
quote:
Speaking of Liu Kang, comparing his trials to the classic Hero's Journey brings a huge amount of insight to a character that many write off as cheesy or past his time.

The problem with bringing the monomyth into the mix is that unless the story features something that resonates with the audience it can easily end up being a series of cliches that have been around since the beginning of human history. While Liu Kang may fit the archetype it's up to the player to decide whether he's a successful at it.

One thing that Tobias' comments made me realize was how much more successfully Liu Kang's storyline was integrated into the MK games than the later protaginists. Shujinko and Taven had much more detailed stories but because their tales were set outside of the main arcade game and had stories that weren't connected to any of the other characters I end up viewing them as being outside the game instead of being integral parts of the MK series. That, and Taven's story was so goofy that I could never take it seriously.

GekigangerV
1590th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Full roster leaked" , posted Fri 12 Sep 02:18post reply

They were found through X-Box achievements

Link Here

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

Baraka
Batman
Catwoman
Darkseid
Deathstroke
Flash
Green Lantern
Jax
Joker
Kano
Kitana
Lex Luthor
Liu Kang
Raiden
Scorpion
Shang Tsung
Shao Khan
Shazam
Sonya
Sub Zero
Superman
Wonderwoman

End of Spoiler

ZamIAm
1751th Post

"Re(1):Full roster leaked" , posted Fri 12 Sep 04:31post reply

quote:

Link Here

I just saw that and was about to post. Three of those were "duh" but I was surprised (but not disappointed) that

they chose Baraka over Goro. It makes sense with Baraka being more of an army level villian as opposed to Goro's boss status. Since it's guaranteed that Lex will be in his Battle Armor, I wonder the design of it will be.

End of Spoiler

Just a Person
1214th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Full roster leaked" , posted Sat 13 Sep 00:10post reply

quote:

Link Here

I just saw that and was about to post. Three of those were "duh" but I was surprised (but not disappointed) that

Me too. I mean,

Shao Kahn would surely be in the game, but Baraka? I'd rather have Mileena and Goro over Kano and Baraka...

Luthor is also a weird choice, initially, since he's not exactly a fighter. But he's a great character, so he deserves a chance.

End of Spoiler

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Gojira
2439th Post

"Re(3):Full roster leaked" , posted Sat 13 Sep 09:27post reply

So the full list of villains in the game are all from either Batman or Superman? So much for obscure choices.

shipoopi

Iron D
2983th Post

"Re(4):Full roster leaked" , posted Sat 13 Sep 10:06:post reply

quote:
So the full list of villains in the game are all from either Batman or Superman? So much for obscure choices.

Well, Deathstroke is generally looked at as being a Teen Titans villain. Which is odd, since there aren't any Teen Titans in the game.

Edit: Unless the Flash in this game is Wally West, who was a Teen Titan at one point if that counts...but that's just nitpicking...

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Sat 13 Sep 10:16]

Iggy
8635th Post

"Re(1):Full roster leaked" , posted Sat 13 Sep 18:03post reply

I find it interesting that all the MK characters come from either MK1 or 2.

Iron D
2983th Post

"Re(2):Full roster leaked" , posted Sat 13 Sep 20:46post reply

quote:
I find it interesting that all the MK characters come from either MK1 or 2.

Midway taking the Ono approach...use the characters that the majority of people are most familiar with.

Er.....

Just a Person
1216th Post

"Some cinematic screenshots" , posted Tue 16 Sep 00:50:post reply

Raiden gathers Liu Kang, Jax and Sonya

Sub-Zero climbing a wall

Liu Kang confronts a surprised Scorpion

Apparently, Sonya saves Kano from Shang Tsung (Liu Kang, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Baraka and Raiden also in the screenshot)

...Honestly, I'm getting a little disappointed with MKvsDC recently. Considering this is a PS3/X360 game, the graphics are very weak. I mean, look at Shang Tsung's hair; Soul Calibur III from PS2 had more details than that. And I don't know, but the gameplay videos make it look quite similar to MK:Armageddon. I hope I'm wrong in my impressions.

Well, at least in these screenshots Sonya looks like a woman (and a HOT one, may I add). Her clothes don't look very appropriate for a military woman, though.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Wed 17 Sep 05:50]

GekigangerV
1591th Post

"Re(1):Some cinematic screenshots" , posted Tue 16 Sep 01:28post reply

Kano Render

It's kind of like how he appeared in overall appearance, but he has a weird Terminator like faceplate now. It's weird how midway is trying to really add a lot of flare to what are still the same basic designs from MK1/2 but keeping the DC characters in costumes that are pretty much decades old. I know they added some armor like design to Batman and a bit of stuff to Flash like the glove design. It seems that the Shaolin Monks design for Kano would have worked just as well.

D`Cloud
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Some cinematic screenshots" , posted Wed 17 Sep 03:03:post reply

quote:
Raiden gathers Liu Kang, Jax and Sonya

Sub-Zero climbing a wall

Liu Kang confronts a surprised Scorpion

Apparently, Sonya saves Kano from Shang Tsung (Liu Kang, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Baraka and Raiden also in the screenshot)

...Honestly, I'm getting a little disappointed with MKvsDC recently. Considering this is a PS3/X360 game, the graphics are very weak. I mean, look at Snag Tsung's hair; Soul Calibur III from PS2 had more details than that. And I don't know, but the gameplay videos make it look quite similar to MK:Armageddon. I hope I'm wrong in my impressions.

Well, at least in these screenshots Sonya looks like a woman (and a HOT one, may I add). Her clothes don't look very appropriate for a military woman, though.

nothing against US games, but they usually are crap in terms of aesthetics... of course artists/game developers arent slave driven like in japan :D

http://www.dustinuy.com

[this message was edited by D`Cloud on Wed 17 Sep 03:04]

dr baghead
3776th Post

"Re(1):Full roster leaked" , posted Thu 18 Sep 01:57post reply

quote:

Link Here

[cast list]

My small window of excitement for this game has now been slammed shut on my fingers.

That's the WORST cast list ever.

It's just so boring and excludes characters who SHOULD be in the game (LOBO!!) for characters who shouldn't even be considered for fighting games (The Flash, Green Lantern, do they need Shazam! AND Superman?! and as much as I like Catwoman why her over a Killer Croc or Man-Bat or Bane even, a Batman villian who would WANT to kill and maim rather a boarder-line hero who just likes to steal shit)

And why DCvMK?! Who okayed this idea at Time-Warner?! Why now?! They haven't made a MvC game in like 8 years, why was now the time to strike with their counter move?! Is it because there's heavy rumors they're gonna make a new one? Was this a premeptive strike in the new 3D Superheroes Vs Fighting game Franchise series? Given how lame in concept the MK designs are maybe this is in counter to EA Vs Marvel? Is Kano really that much better then Johnny Ohm?

This game has no reason to be!! It has a cast list that makes no sense!!!!!!

seriously f' this game, it exist only to confuse me!

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

ZamIAm
1752th Post

"New footage and official box image" , posted Sat 4 Oct 06:57post reply

http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/

Has links to the final box image, screenshots of Baraka, and brand new footage of both story and gameplay with Captain Marvel and Kano.

GekigangerV
1597th Post

"Alex Ross Cover" , posted Thu 16 Oct 11:15post reply

Link Here

Pretty standard Alex Ross stuff. His Kano and Liu Kang look kind of weird though.

Just a Person
1240th Post

"Re(1):Alex Ross Cover" , posted Thu 16 Oct 20:00post reply

quote:
Link Here

Pretty standard Alex Ross stuff. His Kano and Liu Kang look kind of weird though.

Yes, they do.

On the other hand, Sonya and Wonder Woman look really hot! That's how Sonya's render should look like...

Iron D
3037th Post

"Re(1):Alex Ross Cover" , posted Thu 16 Oct 22:48post reply

quote:
Link Here

Yes, but even standard Alex Ross stuff is awesome. I'm really digging that piece of work. Heck, it's probably the most interesting thing about the game for me personally.

Er.....

Just a Person
1244th Post

"Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Fri 24 Oct 04:01post reply

Not really new videos, but none of these were shown and commented here, so...

Well, the first video is about John Tobias in MKvsDC. Yes, that's right, Tobias is once again working at a Mortal Kombat game (although it's not very clear if he's really back to the MK Team or if he was just hired to work in this title and nothing else).

Tobias is doing a 16-pages comic book that will come in the special edition package of the game. It seems to be an introduction to the game's events.

One interesting thing is that the comic book shows some characters that are not in the game (at least as far as we know), such as Mileena (wish she was playable in the game, though), Robin III (aka Tim Drake), Goro, Aquaman and Johnny Cage. I don't know how good the plot will be, but at least the art is great!

Well, the second video explains a little bit of the new game mechanics. They show how the freefall kombat, klose kombat and rage mode works. Kinda nice. Plus, it shows another fatality from Joker... man, that clown is a bloody psycho!

Oh, and just another information: in case your favorite MK or DC character is not in the cast, don't worry. He or she may appear in the game's cinematic movies, like Quan Chi...

ZamIAm
1753th Post

"Re(1):Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Sat 25 Oct 14:10post reply

Also, MKast 8 and a new video was just released. The video highlights a number of never before seen specials and explains the Pro Move system. Animation looks a little smoother than previously for a lot of characters.

Ishmael
3323th Post

"Re(1):Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Mon 27 Oct 23:31post reply

quote:

Well, the second video explains a little bit of the new game mechanics. They show how the freefall kombat, klose kombat and rage mode works. Kinda nice. Plus, it shows another fatality from Joker... man, that clown is a bloody psycho!

"Klose Kombat?" Oh well, if nothing else I give credit to the MK folks for picking a theme -such as the c/k substitution- and sticking to it.

Some more fatalities have been shown. I like that Green Lantern is allowed to shatter bones, rupture internal organs and leave his opponent permanently crippled but he didn't kill him outright because, y'know, he's a hero.

Just a Person
1249th Post

"Re(2):Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Tue 28 Oct 07:56post reply

quote:

"Klose Kombat?" Oh well, if nothing else I give credit to the MK folks for picking a theme -such as the c/k substitution- and sticking to it.

Some more fatalities have been shown. I like that Green Lantern is allowed to shatter bones, rupture internal organs and leave his opponent permanently crippled but he didn't kill him outright because, y'know, he's a hero.

Well, don't expect this brutality to be in the game's final version, since ESRB has censored Joker's fatality (one of the best fatalities the MK Team has ever come up with, may I say). Sad, isn't it?

ZamIAm
1754th Post

"Re(3):Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Thu 30 Oct 10:51post reply

The new Pro Moves and Story Mode videos are getting positive reactions from the more traditional fighting game crowd. All Midway needs to do now is show a quality online connection and it looks like they may have an awesome product on thier hands.

crazymike
1478th Post

"Re(3):Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Thu 30 Oct 11:19post reply

quote:

Sad, isn't it?

The tragedy is that they are shooting for this Teen rating, most teenagers nowadays barely now what a compact disc is much less have any enthusiastic connection to Mortal Kombat. They should market it as a mature title as most of us who grew up with it are adults now.

Ishmael
3327th Post

"Re(4):Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Thu 30 Oct 23:46post reply

quote:
The tragedy is that they are shooting for this Teen rating, most teenagers nowadays barely now what a compact disc is much less have any enthusiastic connection to Mortal Kombat. They should market it as a mature title as most of us who grew up with it are adults now.

I think you might be underestimating the ability of things to perpetually find new audiences in popular culture. Example: A friend of mine teaches eighth grade students. Instead of shoplifting from conveinence stores or playing arcade games or whatever it is juvenile delinquents do with their time he told me that his students spend their lunch breaks playing Black Sabbath songs. Even though the songs were recorded before they were born the kids still found something in the riffs of "Iron Man" that spoke to them. In many ways Midway's favorite cash-cow has taken on a lot of the same characteristics. As horrifying as it may sound, MK has become the classic rock of videogames.

Shindekudasai
330th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Two interesting MKvsDC videos" , posted Fri 31 Oct 15:16post reply

quote:
Green Lantern is allowed to shatter bones etc but he didn't kill him outright because, y'know, he's a hero.

As much as DC would like you to forget, do remember that Hal ripped off one comrade's hand, slaughtered dozens more, blew up the Guardians of the Universe and snapped his arch-rival's neck. Even in the current comic the GLs have been allowed to use lethal force against their enemies. Hell, they're dragging Sinestro out for a public execution right now.

Just a Person
1266th Post

"LOTS of MKvsDC videos" , posted Fri 14 Nov 03:13post reply

Sorry, most of these aren't really new, but I forgot to post them here before.

Well, first, there are the mash-up videos, which besides showing gameplay, also show pre-fight cutscenes (linked to the story mode). We have Batman X Sub-Zero; Superman X Raiden; Sonya X Catwoman; Scorpion X Flash; Luthor X Jax and the Joker X Kano.

Next, there is a trailer of the story mode. Not very revealing, but quite cool!

Remember the rage mode? Well, it seems it's more than just game mechanics; it's also linked to the story. It seems to be like some magic power that possesses people and make them fight each other. Which works as an excuse to justify Liu Kang fighting Jax, for instance, or people actually hurting Superman.

Some more fatalities/heroic brutalities (since when are brutalities heroic??) have been shown. All of them (including the three ones previously seen) can be watched here. BTW, it seems only two fatalities have been censored due to involving guns (Joker's and Deathstroke's); European players are lucky, as these fatalities will not be censored in the PAL version of the game.

And speaking about the Joker, he got a special Mortal Monday video, including gameplay displayed and some of his cutscenes from Story Mode. It also shows that the MK Team isn't so sexist as we thought (remembering Ishmael's quote: "So as part of the character damage representation you can punch Sonya's shirt to pieces? Classy."). If girl players have to see Catwoman's cleavage and Sonya's shirt getting ripped off, at least they can also see Deathstroke's "package" (look at this video at 2:05... completely unnecessary, I know). Boon isn't Justin Timberlake, but he really seems to be putting effort to "bring sexy back"...

Gojira
2483th Post

"...and it's broken" , posted Sun 16 Nov 23:05:post reply

LOL the game's barely even out and already the first brain-dead infinite has been discovered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-pIwcoEURI

So much for pearls to swine :P

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sun 16 Nov 23:06]

Ishmael
3341th Post

"Re(1):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 05:52post reply

quote:
LOL the game's barely even out and already the first brain-dead infinite has been discovered:

Well, that took no time. I had figured that the game was being hurried out the door in order to help Midway out of its financial doldrums but I didn't realize it was going to be this much of a rush job.

ZamIAm
1755th Post

"Re(2):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 07:20post reply

quote:

Well, that took no time. I had figured that the game was being hurried out the door in order to help Midway out of its financial doldrums but I didn't realize it was going to be this much of a rush job.

Even if this is a true infinite, I'm pretty sure that Rage and/or Breakers can get out of this. Also, this should be a pretty easy fix when they start the patches.

Red Falcon
6066th Post

"Re(1):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 09:27post reply

quote:

C'mon, it's an MK game. What was anyone expecting?

Best site EVER:Link Here

Iron D
3062th Post

"Re(2):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 09:46post reply

quote:

I was expecting a lot more words that are normally spelled with Cs to be replaced with Ks. I have thus far been sorely disappointed.

Kome on, people! It will konsume you!

Er.....

ONSLAUGHT
3758th Post

"Re(2):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 09:59post reply

quote:

Rugie speaks the truth, what are the MK games besides steaming dogshit wrapped in bad gimmicks?

crazymike
1484th Post

"Re(3):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 11:08post reply

quote:

Actually I love it. I know this game would never ever be tourny playable to begin with anyway, this infinite give me something to piss off my friends when we are getting drunk playing two player.

Iron D
3063th Post

"Re(3):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 12:02post reply

quote:

Rugie speaks the truth, what are the MK games besides steaming dogshit wrapped in bad gimmicks?

No, no Onslaught. I think you mean kanine krap.

Er.....

Tai-Pan
313th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 12:42post reply

quote:

Actually I love it. I know this game would never ever be tourny playable to begin with anyway, this infinite give me something to piss off my friends when we are getting drunk playing two player.

Thats the whole point of the game isn't it? There must be something for every occasion

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

nobinobita
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 13:05post reply

quote:

Yes... gimmikks!

badoor
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 17:34post reply

It doesn't look like an infinite really. I assume (or hope) that there is a way to quickly get up from falls since the combo counter resets. Or its just that the stupid AI just wouldn't jump or crouch.

If it was an infinite at least it's by Superman, which gives it some credibility to the DC universe.

nobinobita
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 17 Nov 17:38post reply

quote:
It doesn't look like an infinite really. I assume (or hope) that there is a way to quickly get up from falls since the combo counter resets. Or its just that the stupid AI just wouldn't jump or crouch.

If it was an infinite at least it's by Superman, which gives it some credibility to the DC universe.

I think you meant to say it gives kredibility to the DK universe !

Ikari Loona
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):...and it's broken" , posted Tue 18 Nov 01:34post reply

quote:

Shouldn't it be the Flash kontinuously komboing a victim till Kingdom Kome?...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Iron D
3064th Post

"Re(6):...and it's broken" , posted Tue 18 Nov 08:26post reply

quote:

Shouldn't it be the Flash kontinuously komboing a victim till Kingdom Kome?...

I think that's korrekt.

Er.....

Spoon
1678th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):...and it's broken" , posted Tue 18 Nov 09:01post reply

quote:

I have heard it is untekkable and trying to kounter it by rolling will not work. It's not a kombo, striktly speaking, it's more like an endless unblokkable setup.

GekigangerV
1605th Post

"Re(6):...and it's fixed?" , posted Wed 19 Nov 13:54post reply

There was a 25MB update when I turned it on this morning, does anyone know what it's for? I haven't had much time to explore the game. I've mostly been playing VS. mode with my brothers.

D`Cloud
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"midway in deep s-hole" , posted Mon 24 Nov 18:02post reply

Not surprised....
quote:
The New York Stock Exchange said Thursday that it is preparing to suspend trading in the shares of Hartmarx Corp. because the Chicago apparel-maker's depressed market capitalization no longer meets the exchange's minimum threshold for listing.

The exchange also told Chicago-based Midway Games Inc. that the video game publisher faces being delisted because its stock price was not meeting minimum requirements.

Hartmarx has fallen below an exchange-required minimum stock-market valuation of $25 million, averaged over 30 trading days, the NYSE said. Hartmarx is to be suspended from NYSE trading before the market opens Wednesday. Hartmarx shares closed unchanged at 21 cents Thursday, after falling 40 percent on Wednesday, a price that values the maker of Hart Schaffner Marx and Hickey Freeman brands at $7.6 million. Its stock price has fallen 94 percent this year. The stock was trading above $8 15 months ago.

The nation's largest men's tailored-clothing company has been under pressure from competitors and from a decline in demand for men's suits. The firm, founded in 1872, has been listed on the Big Board since the 1940s. It will continue to trade on the Chicago Stock Exchange, said Taras Proczko, senior vice president and general counsel for Hartmarx.

Midway Games received word on Nov. 14 that its stock was not meeting NYSE's $1 minimum closing price over 30 consecutive trading days, the company said Thursday.

Midway's shares have traded below $1 since late October and closed Thursday at 25 cents. Year to date, the stock is down 91 percent, hurt by both the broad market meltdown and the company's weak game sales.

The company has six months to meet the NYSE's standard. Its shares will stay listed and continue to trade during this time.

A company spokesman described the notice as a routine trigger of a NYSE standard and declined to comment further.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-fri-delist-hartmarx-midway-nov21,0,3921071.story

http://www.dustinuy.com

Just a Person
1268th Post

"Re(2):...and it's broken" , posted Mon 24 Nov 19:13post reply

quote:

That's a shame if it's true, but can we really say by now it's an infinite? Some people said SFIV also had infinites, but it seems the accusations weren't true.

Anyway, the game looks fun. Sure, I still haven't played it myself, but the videos over the internet show an interesting gameplay, the controls seem to be quite accurate, and to my surprise Palmiotti and Grey did a nice work with the Story Mode (sure, it's not the deepest story we've ever seen, but then again, which crossover actually had a deep story?). I just wish someone could tell what's the story in John Tobias's 16-page comic book that introduces the game's plot, since some characters only appear in it (Mileena, Cage, Aquaman, Goro, etc.).

The graphics are quite disappointing, on the other hand; though they look nice, they're far from being as good as Virtua Fighter 5 or Soulcalibur IV. But overall, I must say I am very interested in testing this game.

dr baghead
3778th Post

"it stinks!" , posted Thu 27 Nov 12:39post reply

so now that I've played the game all I can say is:
"Really?!"

The game has NOTHING to unlock, aside from Darksied and Shao Khan (I don't think Darkahn is playable, is he?) I was expecting some Koncept art, some Alternate Kostumes, and other random Kollectables (like what I did there?!) in a Krpyt like the last 3 games, but there's NOTHING.

Storymode is an absolute joke with no real story to speak of other then MK characters see DC characters and beat them up until they all die(MK fans who care more then me: Is this game set before/during MK4 or something? There's a lot of story points like Sub-Zero being an "enemy" and Scorpion working for Quan Chi who works with Shao Khan that imply this some kind of prequel or that Tobias decided to scrap everything he didn't write just to fuck with everything)

so given there's no unlockables, storymode is bad, and the endings are painfully stupid there is NO REASON TO PLAY THIS GAME.

It's also kinda disrepectful to the DC heroes, they can get brutally murdered, they can brutally beat a woman (who's face then bruises up!), they wear retarded 90's superheroes outfits, and the MK characters will say to someone created 50 years before and known to millions more people then them "I have no idea who you are!"

I don't get that part...there are no DC comics in the MK universe? I bet someone in a DC comic has mentioned "Mortal Kombat" in passing the game has to exist there... the fact they don't know about the others is just insance.

...it is however pretty good for an MK game, and assuming MK9 (this one's MK8 right?) isn't a crossover the enegine with it's aerial combat, close range, and other stuff will be fun to use. So while this game is worthless it's setting up for MK to continue to improve itself.

......OH! I also like that in Arcade mode you can play "DC characters", "MK characters", or "mixed" towers. So I could in theory pretend the game was purely "MK8" or "JLA:the fighter" without having Scorpion burn Batman to death at random. It'd be nice if I could play SC4 with a "no Vader/Yoda, no Deathstar" option like that.

my silly little drawin's

Iron D
3074th Post

"Re(1):it stinks!" , posted Thu 27 Nov 13:01post reply

quote:
so now that I've played the game all I can say is:
"Really?!"

The game has NOTHING to unlock, aside from Darksied and Shao Khan (I don't think Darkahn is playable, is he?) I was expecting some Koncept art, some Alternate Kostumes, and other random Kollectables (like what I did there?!) in a Krpyt like the last 3 games, but there's NOTHING.

Storymode is an absolute joke with no real story to speak of other then MK characters see DC characters and beat them up until they all die(MK fans who care more then me: Is this game set before/during MK4 or something? There's a lot of story points like Sub-Zero being an "enemy" and Scorpion working for Quan Chi who works with Shao Khan that imply this some kind of prequel or that Tobias decided to scrap everything he didn't write just to fuck with everything)

so given there's no unlockables, storymode is bad, and the endings are painfully stupid there is NO REASON TO PLAY THIS GAME.

It's also kinda disrepectful to the DC heroes, they can get brutally murdered, they can brutally beat a woman (who's face then bruises up!), they wear retarded 90's superheroes outfits, and the MK characters will say to someone created 50 years before and known to millions more people then them "I have no idea who you are!"

I don't get that part...there are no DC comics in the MK universe? I bet someone in a DC comic has mentioned "Mortal Kombat" in passing the game has to exist there... the fact they don't know about the others is just insance.

...it is however pretty good for an MK game, and assuming MK9 (this one's MK8 right?) isn't a crossover the enegine with it's aerial combat, close range, and other stuff will be fun to use. So while this game is worthless it's setting up for MK to continue to improve itself.

......OH! I also like that in Arcade mode you can play "DC characters", "MK characters", or "mixed" towers. So I could in theory pretend the game was purely "MK8" or "JLA:the fighter" without having Scorpion burn Batman to death at random. It'd be nice if I could play SC4 with a "no Vader/Yoda, no Deathstar" option like that.

I always enjoy your takes on these things. Always entertaining and enlightening at the same time.

And no, that's not sarkasm.

P.S. Nice "The Kritik" reference.

Er.....

Just a Person
1270th Post

"Re(1):really??" , posted Thu 27 Nov 19:22post reply

I don't get it, Dr.B... you say the game "stinks", yet you say it's pretty good for a MK game and that MK8 (or 9, whatever) could benefit from the fighting engine... so it's not that bad, is it?

quote:

Theorically, it happens after MK3; HOWEVER, as Boon previously said, this is kinda like an alternative MK universe, where Scorpion and Sub-Zero are still enemies, and where Raiden and Shao Kahn are brothers (yup, like that stupid MK:Annihilation movie).

Same thing with the DC universe: if you read the bios, this Flash is actually Barry Allen (okay, I know he's back in Final Crisis, but he's supposed to be dead by MKvsDCU, right?), Catwoman is a villain despite her costume being inspired in her newest outfit in comics, Themyscyra (or whatever Wonder Woman's island is called) is still on Earth, but Robin (depicted from the "Beginnings" comic in Kollector's Edition) is Tim Drake and wears the current costume.

Anyway, Tobias wasn't the one responsible for this game's story, neither was John Vogel. Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey, both writers for DC, were the ones that came with the plot this time. Tobias just did the 16-page "Beginnings" comic book for the Kollector's Edition, which I hope ends up on the Internet sooner or later, since it shows some people who are not in the game (like Mileena - who seems to be living with Kitana after Kahn's defeat, but I don't know why -, Robin, Goro, Aquaman and Johnny Cage).

dr baghead
3779th Post

"Re(2):really??" , posted Fri 28 Nov 09:19post reply

quote:
I don't get it, Dr.B... you say the game "stinks", yet you say it's pretty good for a MK game and that MK8 (or 9, whatever) could benefit from the fighting engine... so it's not that bad, is it?

alright I'll put it this way:
For an MK game it's awesome, it's got exactly what you want in an MK game EXCEPT a krypt with 600+ things to unlock... Aerial Kombat and Klose Range are fun, Rage works pretty well for introducing some kind of "super meter" to the game (though I'm surprised the series still doesn't have a true Super Meter to do moves like Sub-Zero's Ice Sphere from MKM)...

However add in the DC cast and that's what ruins the game. Their designs are AWFUL, It's insulting to think anyone would hold the cast of Mortal Kombat to the same level as the DC heroes, I'm sure it was pitched as being on level to MvC but really on every level (even the storyline with it's "possessed" heroes) it is more like "Marvel Vs EA" the MK characters are no better in terms of design then the "imperfects" and yet they expect us to care about them as much as we care about the superheroes (what worked for SFvX was it was the Jim Lee era X-Men, the Street Fighters are from the early 90's and that grouping of X-Men was too, it wasn't "early 90's shock game Vs mid-50's legendary iconics") although the DC heroes don't kill (and really if don't kill what reason do you have to be in MORTAL kombat?) they can BE killed, they can horrible maim others... the fact someone at DC okayed this game makes it impossibly fustrating to comprehend.

So in sumation:
a pure MK game: Great, though lacking extras
as a DC game: insulting to both the characters and the gamers, it *could* have worked if it had no MK characters and was just a DC game using the MK enegine (minus finishers), although it wouldn't have been as good as Capcom's Marvel works.

quote:
Theorically, it happens after MK3; HOWEVER, as Boon previously said, this is kinda like an alternative MK universe, where Scorpion and Sub-Zero are still enemies, and where Raiden and Shao Kahn are brothers (yup, like that stupid MK:Annihilation movie).

Same thing with the DC universe: if you read the bios, this Flash is actually Barry Allen (okay, I know he's back in Final Crisis, but he's supposed to be dead by MKvsDCU, right?), Catwoman is a villain despite her costume being inspired in her newest outfit in comics, Themyscyra (or whatever Wonder Woman's island is called) is still on Earth, but Robin (depicted from the "Beginnings" comic in Kollector's Edition) is Tim Drake and wears the current costume.

Anyway, Tobias wasn't the one responsible for this game's story, neither was John Vogel. Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey, both writers for DC, were the ones that came with the plot this time. Tobias just did the 16-page "Beginnings" comic book for the Kollector's Edition, which I hope ends up on the Internet sooner or later, since it shows some people who are not in the game (like Mileena - who seems to be living with Kitana after Kahn's defeat, but I don't know why -, Robin, Goro, Aquaman and Johnny Cage).

Post MK3 (sorta) makes sense, and makes it a lot less confusing...

But see that'd be a part of why the game's insulting. It's not even the real universes it's some sort of a "best of" worlds for either set of characters yet the storyline is some epic "OUR WORLDS WILL MERGE AND WE WILL ALL DIE!!!!" storyline.

Why not just set it in some alternate world where the two sets of characters ALWAYS coexisted? Make DC's Earth another realm Shao Khan has invaded so the heroes of MK rush to it's defense, allying with their heroes instead of fighting them.

my silly little drawin's

Digitalboy
577th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):really??" , posted Fri 28 Nov 11:18post reply

The main reason why I wince upon this game.
quote:
...the fact someone at DC okayed this game makes it impossibly fustrating to comprehend.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Baines
242th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):really??" , posted Fri 28 Nov 14:33post reply

quote:
(what worked for SFvX was it was the Jim Lee era X-Men, the Street Fighters are from the early 90's and that grouping of X-Men was too, it wasn't "early 90's shock game Vs mid-50's legendary iconics")

I think what worked for X-Men vs Street Fighter was that Capcom had already done a straight X-Men fighter in an overblown Street Fighter style. That laid the groundwork, getting acceptance for their Marvel character designs. Then when Capcom did the cross-over, rather than reduce the X-Men to Street Fighter designs, they upgraded the Street Fighter characters to the style of the X-Men engine. (I mean things like giving Ryu a beam super.)

MKvsDC just throws the two universes together. The DC characters, out of the blue, were effectively dropped into the 3D MK engine. No prep-work getting people used to this style of DC characters. No effort to bring the MK characters up to superhero power levels. So it just doesn't mesh as well as Capcom managed with the Marvel characters.

I don't think it is an era issue. If Capcom had gotten the DC license instead of Marvel, I think they could have had the same stylistic success as they did with Marvel. Put out a pure DC fighter or two to lay the groundwork and get people used to their interpretation of abilities. Then put out a cross-over that (visually) brought the SF cast abilities up to the abilities of the DC side.

In the past I would put weight on the DC side having such disparate power levels across its characters. Someone like Catwoman shouldn't even be a blip on Superman's radar. But honestly, Capcom managed the same range in their games. I mean, Captain America is a great fighter, but seriously putting him in a brawl with Shuma-Gorath?

ZamIAm
1756th Post

"Worth it" , posted Wed 7 Jan 09:33post reply

While I havfen't gotten a chance to get in on too much competitive play. I've been thourough enjoying his game. Sure it's got it's quirks and a few blatant "how did they miss this???" glitches but overall I feel it plays well, though my opinion is probably not worth much here.

karasu99
36th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Worth it" , posted Thu 8 Jan 03:07post reply

I usually grudgingly buy most fighters, even 3D ones, even though I'm mostly a fan of 2D, but this one... I don't know. I've never thought much of mortal Kombat in general, for reasons that really belong in a different thread. The addition of the DC characters here doesn't really sell it for me any better, even though I'm a comic book fan.

Not that I probably wouldn't get a few laughs out of it, but it's just hard to justify spending so much for a game that I might get a slight amount of drunken fun from. maybe if I see it on clearance for $10 I might snap it up, but it will likely disappear from stores before it reaches that price.

Iron D
3128th Post

"Re(1):Worth it" , posted Thu 8 Jan 08:46post reply

quote:
While I havfen't gotten a chance to get in on too much competitive play. I've been thourough enjoying his game. Sure it's got it's quirks and a few blatant "how did they miss this???" glitches but overall I feel it plays well, though my opinion is probably not worth much here.

I'm just happy to hear from my demented twin again. Where have you been, Zam?

Er.....

ZamIAm
1757th Post

"Re(2):Worth it" , posted Fri 9 Jan 07:01post reply

quote:

Just...away...

Dealing with other things, working on the usual unsuccessful projects, shooting people with Jax.

And you?

Iron D
3132th Post

"Re(3):Worth it" , posted Fri 9 Jan 08:47post reply

quote:

Just...away...

Dealing with other things, working on the usual unsuccessful projects, shooting people with Jax.

And you?

I've been here. Fairly active on the board.

Sorry to hear about the "unsuccessful" part regarding your projects. I'm not sure what the nature of these projects is, but hopefully persistence will pay off eventually.

And, uh, don't shoot me Bro.

Er.....

ZamIAm
1763th Post

"Re(4):Worth it" , posted Sat 10 Jan 02:32post reply

quote:
Sorry to hear about the "unsuccessful" part regarding your projects. I'm not sure what the nature of these projects is, but hopefully persistence will pay off eventually.

They've been in an unsuccessful state since I started here in the Cafe so that's nothing new.

quote:
And, uh, don't shoot me Bro.

It's "Don't taze me bro!". Get your random internet memes right sir.

BTW, have you gotten to play MK vs. DCU any yet? Also, I have a feeling that in the next official MK game, Jax is going to lose his humanity...

Iron D
3138th Post

"Re(5):Worth it" , posted Sat 10 Jan 10:05post reply

quote:

It's "Don't taze me bro!". Get your random internet memes right sir.

HEY! I do whatever I wanna say.

quote:
BTW, have you gotten to play MK vs. DCU any yet? Also, I have a feeling that in the next official MK game, Jax is going to lose his humanity...

Nope. Not interested, really.

Er.....