affordable portable PVR anyone? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1468 Views )

crazymike
1464th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"affordable portable PVR anyone?" , posted Fri 18 Jul 12:34post reply

I recently got an Iphone (first gen) and wanting to record some TV programs to take on the go, but problem is my cable is not in the same room as my computer so I am nixing any capture card for my PC

woot.com had a sell on a pinnacle video recorder which works on its own without a PC but it is crippled by the lack of a scheduling function

Anyone else know a decent h.264 recorder that doesn't require a PC hooked up to my cable box? I don't mind recording to a USB HD or memory stick and transferring later through my PC, but I just don't want to or have the time to deal with re-converting videos over to my Iphone, just need something that can record straight to the format.

Replies:

Mozex
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):affordable portable PVR anyone?" , posted Fri 18 Jul 14:05post reply

Get a cheap laptop and a capture device for the laptop; or just download torrents of whatever it is you wanted to watch and convert them on your PC.

I'm sure there's some device that does what you want, but it probably won't be terribly affordable.

Be kind to goblins.

badoor
40th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):affordable portable PVR anyone?" , posted Fri 18 Jul 21:51post reply

quote:
I recently got an Iphone (first gen) and wanting to record some TV programs to take on the go, but problem is my cable is not in the same room as my computer so I am nixing any capture card for my PC

woot.com had a sell on a pinnacle video recorder which works on its own without a PC but it is crippled by the lack of a scheduling function

Anyone else know a decent h.264 recorder that doesn't require a PC hooked up to my cable box? I don't mind recording to a USB HD or memory stick and transferring later through my PC, but I just don't want to or have the time to deal with re-converting videos over to my Iphone, just need something that can record straight to the format.

I am not sure about the h.264 format but maybe
You should check out Archos.com

a friend of mine had an old version (Archos AV700)

http://img.hexus.net/v2/lifestyle/pressreleases/archos/av700tv_with_hands_c.jpg

If its too big then get the AV500

http://www.bradeux.com/uploadedimages/35206archos_av500_1.jpg

They could directly record tv with just recording cables. The problem now is that they don't sell the AV700 or the AV500 any more and the new ones require DVR stations to record so I suggest that you look for a used one.

crazymike
1465th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):affordable portable PVR anyone?" , posted Sat 19 Jul 11:10post reply

Ah I thought about the Archos but really I bought an Iphone just because I want to carry everything in my pocket.

I just seem to recall seeing online once some cheap solutions from Hong Kong, but I may just have to do the laptop thing as I have an old one lying around not doing anything.