Replies:

crazymike
1463th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 16 Jul 10:01post reply

quote:
Now with a good trailer

Pretty nice, although I do hope there will be a Japanese option as Ryu's english dub is awful.

y2k
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 16 Jul 14:06post reply

THIS trailer has gotten me more excited about the game than anything. my only complaint is the character roster being pretty much awful, as in too many SF2 character and no SF3 characters.

Sensenic
1633th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 16 Jul 16:37:post reply

I retract from what I said (quite a while ago) about the stages being bland. They're varied, and beautiful.
Although... One is a weapon fair? o_O

Facial expressions are great!

My opinion on the game remains, though. Looking very good, but still "SF2 3D".

EDIT:
quote:

Pretty nice, although I do hope there will be a Japanese option as Ryu's english dub is awful.

Ah, yes. Given how they always kept the original voiceovers hearing him speaking in Academic English really does sound out of place.
Hope they respect the weeaboo we all have in us and leave the originals.
(here I am, though, talking as if I was gonna get the game ^_^; )

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Wed 16 Jul 16:40]

Time Mage
2696th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 16 Jul 19:32post reply

The trailer is, indeed, awesome. Well edited and showing the key elements of the new game.

I'm really excited about this game.

Oh, yeah. Let's hope the japanese voices are an option in the console release. I'm pretty sure they will.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Pollyanna
2544th Post

"Re(2):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Wed 16 Jul 20:01post reply

quote:

Oh, yeah. Let's hope the japanese voices are an option in the console release. I'm pretty sure they will.

I dunno...I've never trusted Capcom of America with anything.

I still don't like what they've done, but I have to say, they've certainly done a good job with it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3219th Post

"Re(3):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 17 Jul 00:40post reply

Kudos to whoever that put that trailer together. This preview still gives off that nostalgic vibe but also gives an impressive display of just how much SF4 is changed by the additions to the game engine.

Of the English voices that were previewed some were adequate and others weren't. My biggest complaint is that Guile's voice wasn't as awful as it should be. A huge hunk of his personality comes from either being incomprehesible and/or ridiculous sounding.

Time Mage
2697th Post

"Re(4):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 17 Jul 04:45post reply

quote:
My biggest complaint is that Guile's voice wasn't as awful as it should be. A huge hunk of his personality comes from either being incomprehesible and/or ridiculous sounding.

Hahahaha! Thank you, you made me laugh really hard.

Yeah, we are so accustomed to Guile having a strange voice that a normal sounding one is a bit of a letdown xD I think I commented this in my previous message, but yeah, some voices are actually cool. Vega's (claw) voice sounded good, as well as Viper's. Zangief... Was OK, but I prefer the japanese one. Ryu and Ken's were definitely the least fitting, specially Ryu's.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

EddyT
755th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 17 Jul 08:17post reply

quote:

Of the English voices that were previewed some were adequate and others weren't. My biggest complaint is that Guile's voice wasn't as awful as it should be. A huge hunk of his personality comes from either being incomprehesible and/or ridiculous sounding.

Are you kidding? I say, "Mission Start" all the time.

When I'm about to leave for work, when I'm about to buy groceries at the store, when I'm about to take a dump in the toilet... all the time! Perfectly normal!

Maou
1464th Post

"Re(4):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 17 Jul 11:37post reply

quote:
My biggest complaint is that Guile's voice wasn't as awful as it should be.

Heheheh. "DO...your best!" Sonic Boahm! (SFZ3 British accent!?)

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Red Falcon
6037th Post

"Re(4):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 17 Jul 12:02post reply

quote:

I agree completely. It's.. "Un-Guileish" to NOT sound silly.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Iron D
2926th Post

"Re(5):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 17 Jul 14:10post reply

quote:

When I'm about to leave for work, when I'm about to buy groceries at the store, when I'm about to take a dump in the toilet... all the time! Perfectly normal!

FTW!

Er.....

IkariDC
747th Post

"Re(6):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Thu 17 Jul 15:15post reply

quote:

FTW!

IMO he sounded and looked retarded enough to not want to play it with that voice...

Professor
2485th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spotted." , posted Fri 18 Jul 20:17:post reply

The game is out in Japan and actually getting a lot of players, unlike some other recent games like SSSen and... Akatsuki. Kind of wonder if it can keep holding its popularity though, it really plays old-style.

Most arcades don't have mode select enabled, so the second you toss in your coin, you're matched up with another player. No time for any practice. Can't blame the arcade owners though, because the units cost like hell and Capcom's only selling them by packs of 4.

I went around town to find a location that allowed practice but ended up just watching people play it at Sportsland Arcade because... Daigo the Beast Umehara was there. For a retired player, he was doing really good. He was playing with Ryu and he had a card, but I'm guessing he hasn't updated it with a player name yet? It just said "NO NAME". Total record 68 matches 67 wins, a good Sagat player beat him once. He had about 10,000 points, so that means it takes about 200 wins to earn the black Chunli outfit... youch. People eventually just gave up fighting the Beast and he went through Seth. The ending is done in American-comicbook art style.. I'm guessing Udon is helping out?

It's too early to talk about tiers but I'm hearing that Blanka and Sagat are supposedly strong. I haven't played Blanka but according to reports, Blanka's rolling is hard to counter, plus he can easily hop over projectiles or just go through them with his EX rolling. Sagat, I've used... he simply has long range, and his projectile is pretty fast.

Btw, it's an old-style game so there's no chains, but with precise timing you can connect some of the normal moves, like medium punch>medium kick.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 18 Jul 20:55]

Iron D
2928th Post

"Re(1):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Fri 18 Jul 20:39:post reply

quote:

It's too early to talk about tiers but I'm hearing that Blanka and Sagat are supposedly strong. It's an old-style game so there's no chains, but you can connect some normal moves with precise timing, like medium punch>medium kick.

Uh oh...what's this sense of deja vu I'm experiencing?

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Fri 18 Jul 20:40]

Just a Person
1189th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"New SFIV blog update: Dan and Fei-Long" , posted Fri 18 Jul 21:07post reply

I don't understand Japanese, but someone at SRK.com said Fei-Long and Dan were finally confirmed as home version exclusive characters in this link.

Nothing against them, but I hope Sakura, Cammy and Ibuki get into the home versions, as well. (and other new characters wouldn't hurt, either...)

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Iggy
8572th Post

"Re(1):New SFIV blog update: Dan and Fei-Long" , posted Fri 18 Jul 21:17post reply

quote:
I don't understand Japanese, but someone at SRK.com said Fei-Long and Dan were finally confirmed as home version exclusive characters in this link.

What's with Dan's neck angle ?
But the page also confirms they won't be the only added characters, and that's a relief.
I'm surprised Gôki hasn't been confirmed yet...

badoor
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Fri 18 Jul 21:25post reply

quote:
The game is out in Japan and actually getting a lot of players, unlike some other recent games like SSSen and... Akatsuki. Kind of wonder if it can keep holding its popularity though, it really plays old-style.

Most arcades don't have mode select enabled, so the second you toss in your coin, you're matched up with another player. No time for any practice. Can't blame the arcade owners though, because the units cost like hell and Capcom's only selling them by packs of 4.

I went around town to find a location that allowed practice but ended up just watching people play it at Sportsland Arcade because... Daigo the Beast Umehara was there. For a retired player, he was doing really good. He was playing with Ryu and he had a card, but I'm guessing he hasn't updated it with a player name yet? It just said "NO NAME". Total record 68 matches 67 wins, a good Sagat player beat him once. He had about 10,000 points, so that means it takes about 200 wins to earn the black Chunli outfit... youch. People eventually just gave up fighting the Beast and he went through Seth. The ending is done in American-comicbook art style.. I'm guessing Udon is helping out?

It's too early to talk about tiers but I'm hearing that Blanka and Sagat are supposedly strong. I haven't played Blanka but according to reports, Blanka's rolling is hard to counter, plus he can easily hop over projectiles or just go through them with his EX rolling. Sagat, I've used... he simply has long range, and his projectile is pretty fast.

Btw, it's an old-style game so there's no chains, but with precise timing you can connect some of the normal moves, like medium punch>medium kick.

good to see that SF4 is attracting a lot of players, even tournament level guys like daigo. I know its way too early to tell but maybe capcom did do the job of pleasing old sf2 players and new sf3 players.

btw, can Seth be considered a balanced character usable on vs play or is he just an overpowered boss?

Just a Person
1190th Post

"Re(2):New SFIV blog update: Dan and Fei-Long" , posted Fri 18 Jul 21:31post reply

quote:

Maybe he's already in the Arcade version and Capcom wants people to find him out first? I don't remember if he was confirmed in SSFIIX, SFA and SFIII2nd.I from the beginning.

But yes, it's surprising he wasn't confirmed so far.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

nobinobita
380th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Fri 18 Jul 22:05post reply

quote:
The ending is done in American-comicbook art style.. I'm guessing Udon is helping out?

Thanks for the update! I wonder, are there any new fans getting into the game? Is there such a thing as someone under twenty right now who never played SFII, but is curious to learn how to play SFIV?

Also, are there any screens of the endings floating around? Is it really Udon art for the endings?

Iron D
2928th Post

"Re(3):New SFIV blog update: Dan and Fei-Long" , posted Fri 18 Jul 22:06post reply

quote:

Maybe he's already in the Arcade version and Capcom wants people to find him out first? I don't remember if he was confirmed in SSFIIX, SFA and SFIII2nd.I from the beginning.

But yes, it's surprising he wasn't confirmed so far.

I can remember that he was definitely confirmed in SFA and 2nd Impact before they were released. Can't speak for Super Turbo though.

Er.....

Professor
2485th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Fri 18 Jul 22:45post reply

quote:
good to see that SF4 is attracting a lot of players, even tournament level guys like daigo. I know its way too early to tell but maybe capcom did do the job of pleasing old sf2 players and new sf3 players.

btw, can Seth be considered a balanced character usable on vs play or is he just an overpowered boss?

Thanks for the update! I wonder, are there any new fans getting into the game? Is there such a thing as someone under twenty right now who never played SFII, but is curious to learn how to play SFIV?

Also, are there any screens of the endings floating around? Is it really Udon art for the endings?

Daigo beat through Seth too quickly to make an accurate judgement. But IMO, he didn't seem too overpowering. He has Dhalsim's punch and a move where he shoots multiple Sonic Booms with just one hand (Kinda like Charlie), but they weren't too intimidating at all. Seth's super btw, he shoots a black whirlwind sideways, absorbes his opponent with it, and then shoots them out of that weird circular part of his stomache. Really hilarious looking.

New players getting into SF4? Very doubtful. I didn't see any teens today but did see players in their 20's. It should be summer vacation for kids starting tomorrow so things might change soon. BUT, given how unforgiving the LAN-networked game system is (you just aren't given time to play single player), I kind of have doubts that new players will have a chance to get into the game. Also, the game is pretty slow for the modern age (about the speed of CvS1?), so I'm not sure if young players would enjoy it.

The endings, I'm not sure if it's Udon, but it definitely seemed American style and it's not Capcom artist Edayan or Akiman. It'll post URLs if I find any of them floating around.

Just a Person
1191th Post

"Re(3):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Fri 18 Jul 23:18post reply

quote:
Seth's super btw, he shoots a black whirlwind sideways, absorbes his opponent with it, and then shoots them out of that weird circular part of his stomache. Really hilarious looking.

Is that his Super Combo or his Ultra Combo? Ultra Combos begin with a zoom in the character, if I'm not mistaken.

Still about Seth, okay, he's not overpowered. But do you classify him as a cool boss, or is he out of place in SFIV?

Professor
2486th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Fri 18 Jul 23:25post reply

quote:
Seth's super btw, he shoots a black whirlwind sideways, absorbes his opponent with it, and then shoots them out of that weird circular part of his stomache. Really hilarious looking.

Is that his Super Combo or his Ultra Combo? Ultra Combos begin with a zoom in the character, if I'm not mistaken.

Still about Seth, okay, he's not overpowered. But do you classify him as a cool boss, or is he out of place in SFIV?

I think it's his Ultra.. looked too flashy to be just a normal Super.

I think he fits in the game just about right, together with C.Viper, HentaiKamen El Furte, and Rufus. Kind of reminds me of World Heroes' Geegus.

Just a Person
1192th Post

"Re(5):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Fri 18 Jul 23:28post reply

quote:
I think he fits in the game just about right, together with C.Viper, HentaiKamen El Furte, and Rufus. Kind of reminds me of World Heroes' Geegus.

In a good way or in a bad way?

Ishmael
3225th Post

"Re(2):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sat 19 Jul 01:40post reply

quote:

Depending on how Capcom markets it, I suspect that any new players are going to come along when SF4 comes to the consoles. Personally, if I was trying to learn a game I wouldn't head to an arcade where I would have to face established players like Daigo.

Variable Savior
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sat 19 Jul 03:28:post reply

quote:
it really plays old-style

Old style, huh? Then I'll dominate arcade competition using the following tactic:

Using Ryuken, I'll throw energy balls at my opponents. When they try to leap over them and get me, I'll just hit them with the jumping uppercut!!

Flawless strategy

Blood marks heaven's path

[this message was edited by Variable Savior on Sat 19 Jul 03:29]

Toxico
4423th Post

"Re(2):New SFIV blog update: Dan and Fei-Long" , posted Sat 19 Jul 04:11post reply

quote:
in this link.
What's with Dan's neck angle ?

If I wouldn't know better, I'd say he put his gi backwards.

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

Red Falcon
6042th Post

"Re(4):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sat 19 Jul 13:43:post reply

quote:

Using Ryuken, I'll throw energy balls at my opponents. When they try to leap over them and get me, I'll just hit them with the jumping uppercut!!

Flawless strategy

Actually, that.. generally doesn't work all the well if your opponent knows what they're doing.

Anyway, I.. GUESS it's nice Dan and Fei Long are there, but I would have preferred they be in the arcade version. Home-exclusive characters irritate me.

I'm surprised Daigo is playing, as I heard he had more or less stopped playing everything but ST, but I guess everyone wants to satiate their curiosity.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sat 19 Jul 13:51]

Iggy
8573th Post

"Re(5):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sat 19 Jul 17:22post reply

I hate Dan. The joke died years ago. Let him die already.
quote:
Home-exclusive characters irritate me.

I think Ono said he considered the home version to be more than a port, but really an evolution, a 4.5 game (more of a 4.0.5 I guess)

Variable Savior
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sun 20 Jul 04:28post reply

quote:

Actually, that.. generally doesn't work all the well if your opponent knows what they're doing.

I can't believe I have to say this but I wasn't being serious. I was eluding to SFIV's attempt to recreate World Warrior and the fact that when that game first came out the above scenario was the going strategy for alot of players (if you even knew how to do the dragon punch that is)

Maou
1465th Post

"Re(6):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sun 20 Jul 07:24post reply

quote:

the above scenario was the going strategy for alot of players

Not to mention a lot of foreign strategy guides. I think Versus Books in the US was the first to fix that! And don't worry, I laughed.

hikarutilmitt
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sun 20 Jul 12:17post reply

quote:
Anyway, I.. GUESS it's nice Dan and Fei Long are there, but I would have preferred they be in the arcade version. Home-exclusive characters irritate me.

Any way I get to use Sakura on another Street Fighter game is fine by me. And if they're smart they'll age her a bit and/or put her in her gym teacher outfit like she should be.

Maou
1468th Post

"Re(6):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sun 20 Jul 12:32:post reply

quote:

Any way I get to use Sakura on another Street Fighter game is fine by me. And if they're smart they'll age her a bit and/or put her in her gym teacher outfit like she should be.

I sorta feel the same. Ironic that a character (who I love, admittedly) who debuted in 1996 would somehow be enough to lessen the feeling of overwhelming BORING I get from a game with the tired old cast from almost two decades ago.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 20 Jul 12:36]

Megane
435th Post

Gold Customer

"The Fat Man" , posted Sun 20 Jul 13:04post reply

... apparently, is kicking a lot of ass, thanks to his Dhalsim/CvS2 Sagat levels cHP, his unpunishable spin attack, and his quick dive kicks.

Fascinating.

Red Falcon
6044th Post

"Re(1):The Fat Man" , posted Sun 20 Jul 13:22:post reply

quote:
... apparently, is kicking a lot of ass, thanks to his Dhalsim/CvS2 Sagat levels cHP, his unpunishable spin attack, and his quick dive kicks.

Fascinating.

Yeah, he's like, SS tier. Zangief is really good too. So is Vega/Bison/Dictator, whatever you want to call him. I'm just surprised that they didn't catch some of this stuff in all those loketests, they knew Viper was crap the whole time and she only really got worse. Still though, isn't this game supposed to be easily patched?

Edit: Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm delighted that Zangief and Vega are really good.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sun 20 Jul 13:24]

Professor
2488th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Sun 20 Jul 17:36:post reply

quote:
it really plays old-style

Old style, huh? Then I'll dominate arcade competition using the following tactic:

Flawless strategy

Beleive it or not, it was the same with lotsa Japanese books of the time. Shoot a fireball and hit them when they jump!

Last boss Seth, so far I've seen him do Dhalsim's crouching feirce, a one-hand Sonic Boom (he can shoot two on the screen), a three-hit Shoryuken, a warp, and his Ultra where he sucks his opponent into his belly and shoots them out. I don't think he's too overpowering as a boss. That round thing in his belly is a ying/yang mark.

The arcades are spammed with Zangiefs. I haven't encountered any Rufus players yet.

So far I like SFIV for what it is. Brings back memories from the 90's. But after three days of playing, I've got three complaints I about the game.

One, for some reason, Capcom apparently shipped the SFIV units under low-resolution setting by default. Which makes no sense because this month's shipments all come with the high-def Vewlix cabinet. As a result, the game looks edgy and ugly in many arcades because they haven't changed the settings.

Two, the link system. You just don't get to practice at all, except in arcades where they give you the option to select beginner mode. What's more, you get linked pretty randomly so sometimes you end up playing against the guy right next to you, which isn't really conforting at times. That also means beginners don't have a chance because they can't avoid playing on a machine where someone's having a winning streak.

Three, the game's speed. It's quite slow, reminds me of the original SF2. But this is just a matter of taste of course.

[edit] Oh, almost forgot. There's one more small complaint I have... the in-game announcer isn't as good as 3rd Strike. It's the same announcer as the trailer from Captivate 08', the guy who says "Are you ready! Are you pumped! You're not scaaared, are you? Don't psyche yourself out maan!"

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 20 Jul 22:35]

Maou
1468th Post

"Re(5):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Mon 21 Jul 12:51post reply

quote:
the in-game announcer isn't as good as 3rd Strike. It's the same announcer as the trailer from Captivate 08', the guy who says "Are you ready! Are you pumped! You're not scaaared, are you? Don't psyche yourself out maan!"

Heheh, no one will ever even touch the Zero 3 announcer, if you ask me. CAN YOU PUNCH YOUR WAY TO GLORY!?

Spoon
1598th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Mon 21 Jul 13:28post reply

quote:
Heheh, no one will ever even touch the Zero 3 announcer, if you ask me. CAN YOU PUNCH YOUR WAY TO GLORY!?

WHAT A TERRIBLE FIGHTER! (or was it player?)

Among the Capcom games he was definitely one of the best... well, him and the guy for the Vs. games back when getting a KO with a super would cause the name of the super to appear on the screen.

Iron D
2929th Post

"Re(7):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Mon 21 Jul 15:35post reply

quote:
Among the Capcom games he was definitely one of the best... well, him and the guy for the Vs. games back when getting a KO with a super would cause the name of the super to appear on the screen.

The Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter one?

BERSERKER BARRAGE XXXXXXX!!!!!

Er.....

Megane
436th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Mon 21 Jul 15:45post reply

quote:

The Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter one?

BERSERKER BARRAGE XXXXXXX!!!!!

STAR STAR

Iggy
8576th Post

"Re(9):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Mon 21 Jul 22:57post reply

Chunli dies.

Nate
947th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spo" , posted Mon 21 Jul 23:24post reply

quote:
Chunli dies.

I know you're not a fan of doing so...but...

ELABORATE.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

HARO
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Newer SF4 thread" , posted Tue 22 Jul 00:42post reply

quote:
My biggest complaint is that Guile's voice wasn't as awful as it should be.
Heheheh. "DO...your best!" Sonic Boahm! (SFZ3 British accent!?)

Rice barrel!

Professor
2489th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Tue 22 Jul 02:57:post reply

Few more points I've figured today...

1. Hearing the rumors about Zangief, I've tried them out and they were true. His Spinning PileDriver can be done with the same command as Yamazaki's Throw from RBS instead of a circle: (or too). This really makes it easy to throw opponents without the risk of accidentally jumping. Also, he can do his Banishing Flat with instead of . I didn't try but I believe it's probably the same with all DP moves in the game.

2. Charge moves *have* to be executed with the correct direction at the end. In other words, you need to do(or )for a Kikoken. (or ) won't work.

3. I don't know how to use Blanka but I've tried using him anyway... so far he seems to be a real menace. His EX rolling goes right through Hadokens, and I'm not talking about startup invincibilities.

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 22 Jul 03:11]

Nekros
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo Ume spot" , posted Tue 22 Jul 06:16post reply

quote:
he can do his Banishing Flat with instead of . I didn't try but I believe it's probably the same with all DP moves in the game.

Really? Even the shoryuken?

Just a Person
1193th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 06:38post reply

quote:
Chunli dies.

ELABORATE.

WHAT???

Iggy, do you mean she dies in her ending?? But... that would be a really stupid idea, and I'm not saying that just because I love her: doesn't 3rd.Strike take place AFTER SFIV?? How could she be in that game if she dies in SFIV??

I hope that's not canon, or that you thought she dies but she was just unconscious...

badoor
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 07:52post reply

quote:
Chunli dies.

ELABORATE.

WHAT???

Iggy, do you mean she dies in her ending?? But... that would be a really stupid idea, and I'm not saying that just because I love her: doesn't 3rd.Strike take place AFTER SFIV?? How could she be in that game if she dies in SFIV??

I hope that's not canon, or that you thought she dies but she was just unconscious...

Capcom killing off a character, preposterous! Everyone knows that nobody dies in any capcom game. Just look at Dr.Wily, Vega/dictator, and Albert Wesker. This is a critical element in the sequal churning machine that is Capcom. They come second to geese's base jumping hobby that he likes to do every time he feels depressed after losing to terry.

Iggy
8577th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 08:07post reply

quote:
that you thought she dies but she was just unconscious...

That's probably what happens. That or they already plan to make a SF4-2 where Guile and Abel go and save her.
In all three endings, she appears to die while giving some kind of information to the other guys. They rush to save her, Abel is stopped by Seth who isn't dead after all, and Guile... I don't remember, but I guess he just stands there screaming her name, or something.

Either way, even without Third Strike, this is a non-issue. It's like ending an episode of Golgo13 on a cliffhanger saying "Golgo is... DEAD" (replace with any random shônen manga and main character, Batman and Bruce Wayne, Bastard!! and D.S., Gunm and Gally, or Dr Slump and Arale).
The only reaction you can have is a simple "ORLY?" or "do they really think we are THAT stupid ?"

On another note, I'm note sure exactly what they did to Dahlsim, but he feels incredibly boring. Almost all of his moves seem useless or lagy.
Maybe I just don't like the engine itself and I need to adapt to it. Or maybe I will just wait SF4-2 and wish they un-nerf him.

Also, wasn't the easy 360° command in other Capcom games as well? Like, all of them? It doesn't feel new at all (the shoryûken one, on the other hand, does).
But I'm tired and maybe I'm just imagining things. I want to go back to candy mountain.

nobinobita
381th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 11:50post reply

quote:
It's like ending an episode of Golgo13 on a cliffhanger saying "Golgo is... DEAD" (replace with any random shônen manga and main character, Batman and Bruce Wayne, Bastard!! and D.S., Gunm and Gally, or Dr Slump and Arale).

Arale... is dead???

That would be quite a shocker.

Maou
1469th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 12:08post reply

Heheh, even poor Nash/Charlie has died like two or three times, and he's supposed to stay dead for Guile's SF2 story to even make any sense. I wouldn't worry about Chunners, hey?

Spoon
1599th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 13:20post reply

Heihachi... is DEAD.

Remember THAT one?

I read that Dhalsim was powerful in the loketests... his teleport was fast and useful, and he could shoot a big slow super fireball that he could follow behind or teleport for a mixup hit.

sabo10
1411th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 14:50post reply

Playing this at Ikebukuro GiGO!

EddyT
757th Post

"Mission Start" , posted Tue 22 Jul 17:28:post reply

Maybe Bison clones Chun-Li after her death... and he is secretly inhabiting her cloned body in 3S. No wonder she's so evil in that game!

Rufus is crazy in the right hands. If you know what you can abuse due to sheer quickness and safeness, you can get long win streaks like the guys up in Osaka. Umezono is a 3S player, and he is the one who started dominating with Rufus the day before the official SFIV release with a 50+ game win streak at Sega Avion in Namba, Osaka. His friend got win streaks of 25 (I broke his win streak) and 50+ wins the next day.

I hope they put that online function to use and start making patches.

My nickname on SFIV is 忍者外人, and I am one of 5 C.Viper players on the whole planet.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Tue 22 Jul 17:31]

Megane
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Mission Start" , posted Tue 22 Jul 17:49post reply

quote:
Maybe Bison clones Chun-Li after her death... and he is secretly inhabiting her cloned body in 3S. No wonder she's so evil in that game!

Rufus is crazy in the right hands. If you know what you can abuse due to sheer quickness and safeness, you can get long win streaks like the guys up in Osaka. Umezono is a 3S player, and he is the one who started dominating with Rufus the day before the official SFIV release with a 50+ game win streak at Sega Avion in Namba, Osaka. His friend got win streaks of 25 (I broke his win streak) and 50+ wins the next day.

I hope they put that online function to use and start making patches.

My nickname on SFIV is 忍者外人, and I am one of 5 C.Viper players on the whole planet.

So you're Kunai?

Professor
2489th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 19:23post reply

quote:
Also, wasn't the easy 360° command in other Capcom games as well? Like, all of them? It doesn't feel new at all (the shoryûken one, on the other hand, does).
As far as I can recall, the easy command was 3/4th a circle in other Street Fighter games, which still could make you accidentally jump if yoi're not fast enough with your fingers. This time, it's very, very easy, making Zangief quite a scary character.

Btw Eddy, can you confirm whether Rufus' from air can be guarded while crouching? I haven't met any good Rufus players so far and it's been pretty easy to beat them as long as I've played a land game.

Iggy
8579th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 21:12:post reply

quote:
As far as I can recall, the easy command was 3/4th a circle in other Street Fighter games, which still could make you accidentally jump if yoi're not fast enough with your fingers. This time, it's very, very easy, making Zangief quite a scary character.

That surprised me, so I tried Third strike (the PS2 version, so maybe it was changed in the port ?) but I still do to make a hyper bomb. I think I did the same move in that other game in which I played Zangief, but I don't remember what it was (CvS2, maybe ?). Maybe that command wasn't implemented in the SF2 and Zero series?
I also thought the main reason why people barely use 360°s in the Vampire series was because the shortcut for a 360° is , which makes it a bit more difficult.
Or at least that's what I thought.

Have I been living a lie ?

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 22 Jul 21:13]

Just a Person
1194th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 23:44post reply

quote:
Chunli dies.

ELABORATE.

WHAT???

Capcom killing off a character, preposterous! Everyone knows that nobody dies in any capcom game. Just look at Dr.Wily, Vega/dictator, and Albert Wesker. This is a critical element in the sequal churning machine that is Capcom. They come second to geese's base jumping hobby that he likes to do every time he feels depressed after losing to terry.

But... Dr.Wily, Dictator and Wesker are villains (villains are supposed to come back forever); Heihachi is just uber-powerful. Chun-Li, even being the strongest woman in the world, is just a good mortal woman. If she dies, she can't be cloned, or make a deal in Hell, or anything like that. I hope her ending in the home versions make clear she's not really dead...

How is the scene of she dying (or supposedly dying), BTW?

Ishmael
3227th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Tue 22 Jul 23:56post reply

Interesting to hear that some moves have more lax motions -the alternate DP motion is particulalry surprising- while charge moves were tightened up. How are the motions for the charge supers? For example, do you have to hit every point in Guile's super or can you shove in any direction for the up motion?

As for my prediction in the Chun-Li deadpool, my guess is that she will stay "dead" until the console release when she is heroically rescued at the last second by Dan. At that point Chun-Li will wish she was dead instead of having to live with that humiliation.

Just a Person
1195th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Wed 23 Jul 00:11post reply

quote:
As for my prediction in the Chun-Li deadpool, my guess is that she will stay "dead" until the console release when she is heroically rescued at the last second by Dan. At that point Chun-Li will wish she was dead instead of having to live with that humiliation.

Heh... that's an idea to take into account.

Someone at GameFAQs said her ending involves her being into some kind of coma, not actually dead. I wish I could trust in him/her, but I don't know if he/she is trustable, and we know Iggy is trustable, so...

sabo10
1412th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Wed 23 Jul 00:21post reply

is faster than ?

For who? Seeing as how it has to be returned to neutral each time...that's 5 inputs compared to 3.

Iron D
2930th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Wed 23 Jul 02:17post reply

quote:
is faster than ?

For who? Seeing as how it has to be returned to neutral each time...that's 5 inputs compared to 3.

I'm also not sure how can be more useful than a 360 motion. I can see how not accidentally jumping can be a plus, but 360 throws are the sort of thing that you often have to input FAST in order to catch an opponent. For example, SPDing an opponent when they land after blocking a jump in attack.

Er.....

Iggy
8580th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Wed 23 Jul 02:56post reply

quote:
I'm also not sure how can be more useful than a 360 motion.

I think it's all a matter of personal taste, but you should at least give it a try.
I can get a 360 100% of the time with this motion, but then, my main characters in Capcom games have never been grapplers, so...

quote:
I don't know if he/she is trustable, and we know Iggy is trustable, so...

I hope that's ironic.
But yeah, the endings just tries unconvincingly to make you believe she's dead. That's nothing like Vega/dictator's face disintegrating in most of Zero3 endings.

Toxico
4424th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Street Figther 4 is out! Daigo U" , posted Wed 23 Jul 07:31post reply

quote:
I'm also not sure how can be more useful than a 360 motion.

If you are going to block it's easier to buffer the plus sign command rather than the 270º (This comes from someone who played both: Big Bear and Zangief.

Also, "jumping" from 270º that's just a major misconception; whenever one reacts from block, or kara cancel or any kind of cancel, it is better to do to evade jumping; the good old should be only used when you can't cancel anything and need to throw quickly.

EddyT
758th Post

"Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 10:06:post reply

Professor: To answer your question about blocking Rufus' dive... all I can say is "it depends". It depends on where he is in relation to you when you are crouching. Sometimes, you can block the dive while crouching... but other times, the dive kick will actually cross you up.

If you look at this vid, which oddly enough has me in it, you will see that I had blocked Rufus' dive kick low (1:08)... he wasn't deep enough to cross me up. I also had a little bit of success jabbing him out of dive kicks with crouching jab (and standing jabs, but you won't see it in the video)... but it's hard to keep him away because spam dive kicks are just too fast at times.

Yes, I am Kunai from srk.com

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 23 Jul 10:07]

Evenor
655th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 10:20post reply

quote:
Professor: To answer your question about blocking Rufus' dive... all I can say is "it depends". It depends on where he is in relation to you when you are crouching. Sometimes, you can block the dive while crouching... but other times, the dive kick will actually cross you up.

If you look at this vid, which oddly enough has me in it, you will see that I had blocked Rufus' dive kick low (1:08)... he wasn't deep enough to cross me up. I also had a little bit of success jabbing him out of dive kicks with crouching jab (and standing jabs, but you won't see it in the video)... but it's hard to keep him away because spam dive kicks are just too fast at times.

EddyT is Kunai!? I did not know that...

( I feel your C.Viper pains )

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Spoon
1600th Post

"Re(1):Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 10:37post reply

quote:
you can block the dive while crouching... but other times, the dive kick will actually cross you up.

I guess the more precise question would've been, "is his divekick an overhead", but you've answered it nicely anyway :D

Does he have variable diving angles for his dive kicks depending on the button? And can he crossup cornered opponents with it? Also, do you know if counter-crossup DP motion buffering works (i.e. f,d,db+P all relative to initial facing direction), and if it does how that relates to the df,df,df+P input for DPs?

Nice to see mmcafe representation at the loketests, too! But really too bad that it looks like your attempts to get Viper buffed have been in vain... for now, anyway.

EddyT
759th Post

"Re(2):Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 10:55:post reply

quote:
you can block the dive while crouching... but other times, the dive kick will actually cross you up.

I guess the more precise question would've been, "is his divekick an overhead", but you've answered it nicely anyway :D

Does he have variable diving angles for his dive kicks depending on the button? And can he crossup cornered opponents with it? Also, do you know if counter-crossup DP motion buffering works (i.e. f,d,db+P all relative to initial facing direction), and if it does how that relates to the df,df,df+P input for DPs?

Nice to see mmcafe representation at the loketests, too! But really too bad that it looks like your attempts to get Viper buffed have been in vain... for now, anyway.

I don't play any of the shotos in the game, but that's a good question. I have been hit out of my crossup attempts pretty regularly. Maybe I will check for you.

Rufus' Dive Kick: He only has one variation, that is done with . However, due to the speed of the dive kick and the fast recovery, one variation is all he needs.

As for crossing up people in the corner with, it may be situational. I shouldn't play theory fighter, but you can check out these other vids of Haitani, the person who was getting win streaks with Rufus at Sega Avion in Namba, Osaka.

Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3
Clip 3
Clip 4 (This is from my personal YouTube account... more vids to come)

It's sad for me, because I see Rufus go from suck to awesome, and watch my character (Viper) go from a character with tons of potential (back in April) to possibly the worst character in the game. It has been disheartening for sure.

I'm not really into the other characters either, so unfortunately I have to live with her multiple deficiencies. To be honest, I felt like quitting this game altogether 3 times now. That's how bad and how frustrating it is to play her.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 23 Jul 10:58]

GekigangerV
1581th Post

"Re(3):Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 15:27post reply

quote:

I don't play any of the shotos in the game, but that's a good question. I have been hit out of my crossup attempts pretty regularly. Maybe I will check for you.

Rufus' Dive Kick: He only has one variation, that is done with . However, due to the speed of the dive kick and the fast recovery, one variation is all he needs.

As for crossing up people in the corner with, it may be situational. I shouldn't play theory fighter, but you can check out these other vids of Haitani, the person who was getting win streaks with Rufus at Sega Avion in Namba, Osaka.

Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3
Clip 3

It's sad for me, because I see Rufus go from suck to awesome, and watch my character (Viper) go from a character with tons of potential (back in April) to possibly the worst character in the game. It has been disheartening for sure.

I'm not really into the other characters either, so unfortunately I have to live with her multiple deficiencies. To be honest, I felt like quitting this game altogether 3 times now. That's how bad and how frustrating it is to play her.

Thanks for the vids. I wonder if Dan will still be a joke character, but still be of some use when he comes to the console.

http://www.capcom-fc.com/sf4/2008/07/post_47.html

El Furte's second costume was showed off on the official blog.

Iron D
2931th Post

"Re(3):Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 22:02post reply

quote:

Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3
Clip 3

It's certainly awesome to hav one of those Shoryuken "insiders" here at the Cafe. I read your stuff on SRK often (thought I'm not a member) and your coverage of this game has me hyped more than just about anything else. Thanks for the reports.

Although it is disheartening for you to go from loving the game so much to actually wanting to quit.

Er.....

Ishmael
3229th Post

"Re(4):Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 22:06post reply

It looks like Rufus is strong, no doubt about that. But I do wonder how effective he is going to be once people get a bit more familiar with the SF4 game engine. In all those videos I think I saw only one person back-dash away from Rufus' dive kick. Could you forward dash under Rufus as he came down or Save Attack to take the hit and then retaliate? Would an EX anti-air work?

Besides Rufus love those videos are also a good record of people trying to figure out SF4. Most of the Save Attacks that were being done during the heat of battle in those videos were ineffective. Instead of dash cancelling a missed opportunity most players swung at thin air. A lot of players seem to understand the new game features in theory but because they haven't fully integrated it into their gameplay they end up falling back on SF2 tactics. This video of Daigo playing is probably a good preview of what SF4 will eventually be played like.

EddyT
760th Post

"Re(5):Rufus the doofus" , posted Wed 23 Jul 22:51:post reply

quote:
It's certainly awesome to hav one of those Shoryuken "insiders" here at the Cafe. I read your stuff on SRK often (thought I'm not a member) and your coverage of this game has me hyped more than just about anything else. Thanks for the reports.

Although it is disheartening for you to go from loving the game so much to actually wanting to quit.

It's a love-hate relationship... I feel like a battered wife. I feel like the situation can change, and I can change it, but then I get smacked around some more and I cry myself to sleep the following night.

Right now, I am liking it again, because I found out more about Viper's offense. Being able to super-jump-cancel her normal attacks to Ultra can help her out tremendously... if I can get the timing and movements down pat. She also has a fake Thunder Knuckle to go with her fake Seismo... something they must have added recently because I had never seen it before until 2 days ago.

I am also learning to mix it up a lot more than before, and that just like her game persona, you really have to play dirty to get wins with her. She doesn't fight fair with her electric gloves, explosives and other gadgets, so you basically do everything you can to win... and that includes a lot of fakes, throwing and abusing the 2-3 things she can do well when you knock someone down. If you fall into a pattern with her, you will lose.

As one of my SRK brethren from Osaka said, you have to work 4 times as hard to get wins with Viper. If you're into that sort of masochistic behavior, like me, she's your girl.

quote:
It looks like Rufus is strong, no doubt about that. But I do wonder how effective he is going to be once people get a bit more familiar with the SF4 game engine. In all those videos I think I saw only one person back-dash away from Rufus' dive kick. Could you forward dash under Rufus as he came down or Save Attack to take the hit and then retaliate? Would an EX anti-air work?

Besides Rufus love those videos are also a good record of people trying to figure out SF4. Most of the Save Attacks that were being done during the heat of battle in those videos were ineffective. Instead of dash cancelling a missed opportunity most players swung at thin air. A lot of players seem to understand the new game features in theory but because they haven't fully integrated it into their gameplay they end up falling back on SF2 tactics. This video of Daigo playing is probably a good preview of what SF4 will eventually be played like.

Azrael (from SRK) found out about the backdashing as well, but you run out of room eventually. Saving Attack is too slow for people to counter with (like Viper), and Rufus is so quick with his normals that he can dive kick and already mash crouching short well before you could counter with the Saving Attack strike.

We have only touched the surface with Saving Attack. I can see it evolving as the months go by. I have a feeling that there is much more to it than what has been shown so far during these gameplay videos.

It already has proven invaluable to have the opportunity to link Ultras for several characters. It can also provide different options on offense when you cancel moves with this. There's gotta be more to it than that, though.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 23 Jul 22:55]

ZamIAm
1738th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Poor Viper" , posted Thu 24 Jul 01:42post reply

quote:

Wow, I feel your pain on the Viper nerfage. Wait, there's only 5 registered Crimson Viper players?

Professor
2491th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Rufus the doofus" , posted Thu 24 Jul 17:05:post reply

quote:
Iggy As far as I can recall, the easy command was 3/4th a circle in other Street Fighter games, which still could make you accidentally jump if yoi're not fast enough with your fingers. This time, it's very, very easy, making Zangief quite a scary character.
That surprised me, so I tried Third strike (the PS2 version, so maybe it was changed in the port ?) but I still do to make a hyper bomb. I think I did the same move in that other game in which I played Zangief, but I don't remember what it was (CvS2, maybe ?). Maybe that command wasn't implemented in the SF2 and Zero series?

Sabo10 is faster than ?
Toxico Also, "jumping" from 270º that's just a major misconception; whenever one reacts from block, or kara cancel or any kind of cancel
EddyT It's a love-hate relationship... I feel like a battered wife. I feel like the situation can change, and I can change it, but then I get smacked around some more and I cry myself to sleep the following night.

Iggy:
I didn't know it worked in 3rd Strike as well, thanks for telling me.

Sabo10:
No, it's not fast. In fact I don't see much a use for it other than for real beginners that can't do Dragon punches. Still, it's nevertheless interesting that such a weird command does an uppercut motion. Tried with with Ryu and Sagat as well, it works.

Toxico:
That makes sense!

Eddy:
Have you tried checking the Shitaraba BBS C.Viper threads? It might be a bit hard to read but I'm sure you'll figure it out after a while. There's probably a few posts that ought to help you out in making the best use out of Viper. Try reading from around 7/20, when people have started figuring out how to use her.

http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/game/44889/1215950987/

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 24 Jul 19:36]

Iron D
2932th Post

"Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Fri 25 Jul 05:31post reply

I really feel for you, Man. Seeing your posts on SRK I really get a sense of how hard you're trying to get Viper to work. The game is still pretty new, so hopefully there's hope yet. I just can't get over how much damage she takes though....ouch.

That vid of the guy winning with Viper was cool and all, but I get the impression that maybe the folks he was playing against weren't all that good.

You've mentioned having a similar situation with Ibuki in 3rd Strike. Did you ever succeed in making her effective at all, or did you eventually just give up on her?

Er.....

Tai-Pan
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Fri 25 Jul 05:42post reply

quote:

You've mentioned having a similar situation with Ibuki in 3rd Strike. Did you ever succeed in making her effective at all, or did you eventually just give up on her?

Thats funny. I never gave up on my Ibuki, she was pretty effective against almost any player I encountered.
I'm sure there must be a way to make Viper effective. It will come up with time.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Iggy
8586th Post

"Re(2):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Fri 25 Jul 06:16post reply

quote:
Thats funny. I never gave up on my Ibuki, she was pretty effective against almost any player I encountered.

On the other hand, Ibuki had been tweaked twice (and wasn't she useless in the first game, then top tier in Second Impact ?)

I've pretty much given up on SF4, but I can't wait for the sequel when the characters I'm interested in won't be as broken (oh, and Viper as well)(and eventually if they add a character I really want to play, but let's keep it realistic here).

Red Falcon
6045th Post

"Re(3):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Fri 25 Jul 13:54post reply

quote:
(and wasn't she useless in the first game, then top tier in Second Impact ?)

Yup.

Ishmael
3231th Post

"Cammy" , posted Fri 25 Jul 21:39post reply

According to IGN, Cammy was confirmed at SDCC.

quote:
Azrael (from SRK) found out about the backdashing as well, but you run out of room eventually. Saving Attack is too slow for people to counter with (like Viper), and Rufus is so quick with his normals that he can dive kick and already mash crouching short well before you could counter with the Saving Attack strike.

We have only touched the surface with Saving Attack. I can see it evolving as the months go by. I have a feeling that there is much more to it than what has been shown so far during these gameplay videos.

It already has proven invaluable to have the opportunity to link Ultras for several characters. It can also provide different options on offense when you cancel moves with this. There's gotta be more to it than that, though.

What about the blue flash parry sort of Saving Attack that Chun-Li and Vega are doing at about 1:56 in this video? If you are able to instantly come out of your SA would that be enough to foil Rufus' dive kick? I'm sorry if these are foolish sounding questions but I'm not very good at discussing the theoretical aspects of a game engine that I have yet to play.

Just a Person
1198th Post

"Re(1):Cammy" , posted Fri 25 Jul 22:59:post reply

quote:
It's a love-hate relationship... I feel like a battered wife. I feel like the situation can change, and I can change it, but then I get smacked around some more and I cry myself to sleep the following night.

As one of my SRK brethren from Osaka said, you have to work 4 times as hard to get wins with Viper. If you're into that sort of masochistic behavior, like me, she's your girl.

That's a shame... At first I didn't like Viper, but now she seems to be such a cool design, her attacks are so badass... let's hope the console versions (and, who knows, future arcade revisions) make her more effective in combat (and Rufus, a little less effective - although I'm quite glad to know he's a great fighter, after all).

I'll be playing with her, nevertheless; she, Chun-Li and Rufus are the three characters I'm interested in using at the arcades.

quote:
I hope that's ironic.
But yeah, the endings just tries unconvincingly to make you believe she's dead. That's nothing like Vega/dictator's face disintegrating in most of Zero3 endings.

It's not, really. Some people at GameFAQs just write stupid things, mistranslate passages from the game (though I can't blame them on that, since I don't understand Japanese, either), stuff like that. Anyway, I'm glad to know the ending doesn't make clear if she's really dead (and that she doesn't disintegrate!!).

Although I love Chun-Li, her death wouldn't bother me had it happened after SFIII:3rd.Strike (it would be sad, sure, but an heroic death would be a nice ending to her). But in SFIV, it would completely mess her story.

-----

About Cammy, I'm glad she's back (I hope her artwork gets released soon)! And although he's missing from this board for a while, I'm sure TalbainEric is really glad himself, as well.

EDIT: Cammy's picture from the new SFIV anime (from the Famitsu website)

I don't get why some places say she's not confirmed yet... Killian mentioned her being the winner of the poll to choose a character to return in SFIV, and why would Capcom put her in an anime if she has no part at all in the game? Gouken is understandable, but Cammy is still alive.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 26 Jul 05:03]

EddyT
762th Post

"Re(1):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Sat 26 Jul 02:23:post reply

quote:
I really feel for you, Man. Seeing your posts on SRK I really get a sense of how hard you're trying to get Viper to work. The game is still pretty new, so hopefully there's hope yet. I just can't get over how much damage she takes though....ouch.

That vid of the guy winning with Viper was cool and all, but I get the impression that maybe the folks he was playing against weren't all that good.

I played Ibuki when she sucked in New Generation, when she was considered top tier in 2nd Impact, and when she was toned down pretty heavily in 3rd Strike. I can do well against most players with Ibuki except for Chun, the twins and Makoto. Yes I did stick with her through thick and through thin... and I still have fun playing her when I pick up 3S from time to time. I think she's a great design with an interesting offense, and I hope that there's an outside chance she will make the IV roster. Highly unlikely, though.

The more I play Viper, the more I start to wonder... she has a lot of interesting tools, but you don't have much room for error. I discovered a lot of stuff about her in the past week, and it has piqued my interest once again... it'll be a while before I actually set up some solid gameplans, though.

Oh yeah, her new outfit is proody hot.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Sat 26 Jul 02:26]

Ultima
443th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Sat 26 Jul 02:48post reply

EddyT:

quote:
I played Ibuki when she sucked in New Generation

Er, when was this ever the case? Ibuki was considered one of the best characters in NG since the beta version; and that was before they found her one-button infinite and stupidly good SAIII.

Concerning Viper, you say she has a fake Thunder Knuckle and Fake Seismic Hammer? How are these done? They don't seem to be listed on Capcom's JPN SF4 command page for Viper. :/

--
Ultima - The Right arm of Scrub Voltron
http://uramble.com/sfp - The Street Fighter Perfect Project

EddyT
763th Post

"Re(3):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Sat 26 Jul 03:08:post reply

quote:
EddyT:

I played Ibuki when she sucked in New Generation

Er, when was this ever the case? Ibuki was considered one of the best characters in NG since the beta version; and that was before they found her one-button infinite and stupidly good SAIII.

Concerning Viper, you say she has a fake Thunder Knuckle and Fake Seismic Hammer? How are these done? They don't seem to be listed on Capcom's JPN SF4 command page for Viper. :/

Really? Are you talking about the standing back + HK launcher that you can do forever? If so, yeah I guess that is a little broken. :P

I shoulda said the game sucked, not Ibuki sucked in it. Boy it's late. I'm sorry

Fake Thunder Knuckle is qcb + weak punch, then immediately hit two punch buttons afterwards. Seismo is the same deal, but with dragon punch motion with stick instead of qcb. You can also fake a standing fierce into a seismo, thunder knuckle or flame kick. All you have to do is hit fierce punch while the stick is in the neutral position (do not stand next to opponent), then immediately do the motion for the special move. It's kind of a weird fake, but hey, it's there... maybe there is a use for it.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Sat 26 Jul 03:14]

Black_Hayato
218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Sat 26 Jul 11:05post reply

I think what disappoints me the most about IV is that all the unique and fun gameplay from characters such as Ibuki, Urien, Makoto, Karin, Alex and Gen is just gone. The new characters are great and all.

I mean what if Guile got a move like Urien's tackle, or throw? Or someone gets a counter?

Toxico
4425th Post

"Re(5):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Sat 26 Jul 11:59post reply

quote:

I mean what if Guile got a move like Urien's tackle, or throw? Or someone gets a counter?

They would make it something slow, useless, weak and non versatile so that it doesn't mess with the "original flow" of the character (haven't you caught up with the wave already?).

Iron D
2933th Post

"Re(5):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Sat 26 Jul 14:47post reply

quote:
I think what disappoints me the most about IV is that all the unique and fun gameplay from characters such as Ibuki, Urien, Makoto, Karin, Alex and Gen is just gone. The new characters are great and all.

I'm not even sure what you're saying here. Are you just saying that you don't like that these characters aren't in it?

Er.....

Spoon
1601th Post

"Re(5):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Sat 26 Jul 16:14post reply

quote:

Guile got Urien's overhead punch.
Well, it looks kinda like Dudley's, I guess...

I think that the likes of Urien and Makoto are exactly what they DON'T want in this game: characters loaded with technical stuff and combos that either kill the opponent dead or dizzy them so that they die to the next combo. I love playing as Necro, but I have no doubt in my mind that he's the same kind of weird and alienatingly difficult to play character that they don't want.

Nekros
66th Post

Occasional Customer

"New anime trailer form Comic-On" , posted Sun 27 Jul 17:48post reply

In this new trailer (starting from 2:50) we'll see another roster addition to the console version: the obviously definitely certain given Cammy. I like to use her and I'm quite a decent Cammy player but she's another SF2 character so I find this addition very boring and uninteresting.
Also, Dudley wins the poll on the Capcom side about the next addition in the console version, but apparently Ono states he has no intentions to add him in the roster.
Ahhwww, this game seems TOO MUCH Shin Super Street Fighter II: the yankee chosen...

Count Hihihi
97th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):New anime trailer form Comic-On" , posted Sun 27 Jul 22:13post reply

Cammy is BADASS

a·bel·o·gist - a person who argues in defense or justification of anything SFIV related.

Just a Person
1198th Post

"Re(1):New anime trailer form Comic-On" , posted Mon 28 Jul 00:32post reply

quote:
In this new trailer (starting from 2:50) we'll see another roster addition to the console version: the obviously definitely certain given Cammy. I like to use her and I'm quite a decent Cammy player but she's another SF2 character so I find this addition very boring and uninteresting.
Also, Dudley wins the poll on the Capcom side about the next addition in the console version, but apparently Ono states he has no intentions to add him in the roster.
Ahhwww, this game seems TOO MUCH Shin Super Street Fighter II: the yankee chosen...

Well, Cammy is a woman, so at least the male/female ratio is a little less unbalanced.

About Dudley, if I remember correctly, Capcom never said they were selecting new characters from the poll he won (it was just a "Which character would you like to see in SFIV?" poll; it didn't even say if they were talking about arcade or home consoles). The poll which Cammy won was preceded by a text mentioning Ono wanted us to select someone to be added to the home versions roster.

I don't know if the following information is true, but I've read someone at SRK.com (maybe EddyT has read it, too) saying that Ono told someone that every character from this second poll would be added to the game (the person who posted this seems to have deleted the post, though). If that is true (and I hope so!), Ibuki and Hugo will be added to SFIV as well, so SFIII would have some representation in SFIV, after all.

Nekros
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):New anime trailer form Comic-On" , posted Mon 28 Jul 02:13:post reply

quote:

I don't know if the following information is true, but I've read someone at SRK.com (maybe EddyT has read it, too) saying that Ono told someone that every character from this second poll would be added to the game (the person who posted this seems to have deleted the post, though). If that is true (and I hope so!), Ibuki and Hugo will be added to SFIV as well, so SFIII would have some representation in SFIV, after all.

That sounds awful!
I mean, look at what we have if true:
- The entire cast of Super Turbo
- 5 new characters, quite well introduced
- 2 more shoto clones (and Gouki?)
- The SF3 low-tier kunoichi
- Hugo (it's ok to me but not as Dudley/Elena)

Not what I call a brilliant cast. SF Zero 3 had the same characters of SSF2 but with LOTS of new faces and gameplay variations, I sincerely hope that guy from SRK is wrong.
Come on, TODAY DeeJay and T-Hawk!? °_°

[this message was edited by Nekros on Mon 28 Jul 02:15]

Iron D
2935th Post

"Re(3):New anime trailer form Comic-On" , posted Mon 28 Jul 03:04post reply

quote:

That sounds awful!
I mean, look at what we have if true:
- The entire cast of Super Turbo
- 5 new characters, quite well introduced
- 2 more shoto clones (and Gouki?)
- The SF3 low-tier kunoichi
- Hugo (it's ok to me but not as Dudley/Elena)

I fail to see the problem here. More characters can only be a good thing (to an extent). But I wouldn't hold my breath to everyone in that poll making it in. Ono has said a bunch of things that didn't make it into the game. Remember damageable backgrounds and characters actually showing damage visually?

Er.....

Baines
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):New anime trailer form Comic-On" , posted Mon 28 Jul 03:15post reply

quote:
Well, Cammy is a woman, so at least the male/female ratio is a little less unbalanced.

What is laughably pathetic is that in the big EGM article, Ono promised to address the gender balance issue.

"If you're worried about how we'll balance the gender war in our character roster, don't necessarily focus on what female fighters from past games will reappear.... We'll have some new characters as well."

Then he promptly copied Super Turbo's gender ratio. Chun-Li plus a replacement for Cammy was not even approaching the issue.

Ishmael
3232th Post

"Re(6):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Mon 28 Jul 04:21post reply

quote:
I think that the likes of Urien and Makoto are exactly what they DON'T want in this game: characters loaded with technical stuff and combos that either kill the opponent dead or dizzy them so that they die to the next combo. I love playing as Necro, but I have no doubt in my mind that he's the same kind of weird and alienatingly difficult to play character that they don't want.

This is a very good summary of the probable decision making process that decides who makes it into the roster. A number of characters would either have to be wildly changed to fit in with SF4 game engine or would be far too off the design aesthetic that they are trying for with this title.

Iron D
2936th Post

"Re(7):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Mon 28 Jul 16:15post reply

quote:
This is a very good summary of the probable decision making process that decides who makes it into the roster. A number of characters would either have to be wildly changed to fit in with SF4 game engine or would be far too off the design aesthetic that they are trying for with this title.

I dunno...El Fuerte sounds like a fairly complex character.

Er.....

Ishmael
3235th Post

"Re(8):Poor EddyT/Kunai" , posted Mon 28 Jul 23:55post reply

quote:
I dunno...El Fuerte sounds like a fairly complex character.

This is true. But if I had to guess I suspect the programmers wanted at least one character with a higher learning curve for the players who enjoy that sort of thing and he's also brand new so all the players will start out on equal footing with him. Also, I should clarify my earlier comments a bit. With SF4 I get the feeling they are going for a game that isn't just accessible in character choice but in the way it plays as well. While those Aegis Reflector traps or Makoto death combos are cool they work more in the SF3 style of game and are probably a frightening sight to new players.

I still haven't seen a better version than this but just in case anyone missed it here is the SDCC anime clip featuring Chun-Li, Cammy and Guile. The video is about halfway into the clip.

GekigangerV
1585th Post

"Alternate costumes" , posted Thu 7 Aug 10:00post reply

Thread from Capcom USA's forum

They range from lame(Abel's wrestling singlet) to to kind of interesting(battle damaged Super Turbo Bison.) There are of course the weird ones like Charlie-Guile and Haggar-Zangief.

So is Gouki not in the arcade version even as a hidden boss? That seems weird since he has been in pretty much every arcade Street Fighter game and spin-off except for New Generation since his introduction in ST.

Tai-Pan
246th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Alternate costumes" , posted Thu 7 Aug 12:44post reply

quote:
Thread from Capcom USA's forum

They range from lame(Abel's wrestling singlet) to to kind of interesting(battle damaged Super Turbo Bison.) There are of course the weird ones like Charlie-Guile and Haggar-Zangief.

So is Gouki not in the arcade version even as a hidden boss? That seems weird since he has been in pretty much every arcade Street Fighter game and spin-off except for New Generation since his introduction in ST.

Ryu's alt costumbe is DISGUSTING

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

nobinobita
384th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Alternate costumes" , posted Thu 7 Aug 17:04:post reply

quote:

Really? I was expecting much worse. It's just him with his shirt down. I actually kind like it.

That's actually how I was hoping Akuma would look in the new game.

I think it's pretty in character for Ryu to dress that way. It gets hot wandering around on foot all the time!

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 7 Aug 17:06]

Ishmael
3243th Post

"Re(3):Alternate costumes" , posted Fri 8 Aug 01:23post reply

quote:
I think it's pretty in character for Ryu to dress that way. It gets hot wandering around on foot all the time!

If there's one thing I've learned from watching martial arts movies it's that if the fighter wants to prove that he's not fooling around anymore he takes off his shirt. I've thought about emulating this practice when I play fighters but most arcades frown on the idea of me stripping to the waist.

Tai-Pan
248th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Alternate costumes" , posted Fri 8 Aug 01:30post reply

quote:

Really? I was expecting much worse. It's just him with his shirt down. I actually kind like it.

In theory the idea is good. But Ryu's fighting stance doesn't look good when he is shirtless, IMO. It looks awkward and not very manly.

GPA
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Alternate costumes" , posted Fri 8 Aug 02:12post reply

Ryu's alt is based on how he appeared at the beginning of the Ryu Final manga, I think.

quote:

In theory the idea is good. But Ryu's fighting stance doesn't look good when he is shirtless, IMO. It looks awkward and not very manly.

Tai-Pan
249th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Alternate costumes" , posted Fri 8 Aug 04:07post reply

I guess I have to wait and actually play the game to see if its good. I'll have to wait for the console version because I don't know any arcade with new games here in South FLorida

Shindekudasai
237th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Alternate costumes" , posted Fri 8 Aug 10:31post reply

Tell me about it, the last one I saw was SVC:Chaos at my local Boomers...

Tai-Pan
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Alternate costumes" , posted Fri 8 Aug 12:48post reply

quote:
Tell me about it, the last one I saw was SVC:Chaos at my local Boomers...

You live around South Flo?

Shindekudasai
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Alternate costumes" , posted Sat 9 Aug 07:13:post reply

Yeah, I'm in West Boca, literally right on the line between Palm Beach and Broward counties.

Just curious, who's that in your av facing off with Red Alert?

[this message was edited by Shindekudasai on Sat 9 Aug 07:14]

nobinobita
384th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Alternate costumes" , posted Sat 9 Aug 12:09post reply

quote:

Ryu's alt costumbe is AWESUM

fixed

ONSLAUGHT
3721th Post

"Re(9):Alternate costumes" , posted Sat 9 Aug 14:19post reply

quote:

Camus

Tai-Pan
253th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Alternate costumes" , posted Sun 10 Aug 00:54post reply

quote:

Camus

(I live in Hollywood, to the South of Boca)

Yes, its Camus

Shindekudasai
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Alternate costumes" , posted Mon 11 Aug 23:42post reply

Oh, cool. Well one day when I get a car we'll have to game!

dr baghead
3770th Post

"Re(1):Alternate costumes" , posted Tue 12 Aug 09:32post reply

quote:
There are of course the weird ones like Charlie-Guile and Haggar-Zangief.

I could TOTALLY see those those came about from request for "Guile to have a Charlie Costume" and "Zangief should have a Haggar Costume" being lost in translation. Where in fans wanted Charlie and Haggar to be alternate costumes (like Devil/Angel, Lee/Violet, Kuma/Panda, etc from Tekken) for Guile and Zangief but Capcom took it to mean people wanted to see Zangief dress up like his rival and for Guile to go even further into his creepy Nash-vengence obsession by wearing a dead guy's clothes.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Tai-Pan
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Alternate costumes" , posted Tue 12 Aug 12:59post reply

quote:
Oh, cool. Well one day when I get a car we'll have to game!

Well I have a car..only let me get a job (time "is" rough)

Just a Person
1205th Post

"The arcade may have a hidden boss, after all" , posted Tue 12 Aug 22:55post reply

The Japanese SFIV blog was updated again.

I don't understand Japanese, but here's a (confuse) translation by a member from SRK.com:

"Something's happening!" Project Manager: Shiozawa Natsuki
Yo, everybody, sup!
Have you been watching the Beijing Olympics?
It started with an amazing opening ceremony by Chan Imou, and now things are really getting serious, and a whole bunch of lordly battles are playing themselves out in front of us.
Kitajima was all over the news this morning. (Kitajima is a Japanese swimmer that won gold.)
Anyway, things are just getting started! Let's go Japan!!

Street Fighter 4 is going to get pretty hot too!! It's coming, it's coming. Something will happen on 8/15. Something that lots of fans have been waiting for is coming this way!!

It's been a month since the machines went out. I think you've all got in a lot of practice with your favorite character. Now you'll really get to test your skill! Give a testament to the experience, skills, and courage that you've piled up!!

Aim for it, Seth! Defeat him, Seth! And then, the thing that you've been waiting for... Nothing special will happen for a simple halfhearted battle. So, there's only three more days till it happens. So give it your best and Fight!

It looks like from this Friday on, something special will appear by defeating Seth in a non-"simple halfhearted battle" way. I guess it could be a secret boss (that, or Capcom decided to put Seth as an unlockable character).

Who could it be? Akuma? Gouken? Shin Vega/M.Bison? Morrigan in her '90s DarkStalkers 2D sprite?

Anyway, this looks like a great addition! Not only that, it seems to show that additional content can be added in the Arcades via download (after all, this "special surprise" isn't in the arcades yet, so I guess it will be sent to them). Maybe the additional characters in the PS3/X360 versions may also be added to the arcades later, as well...

Tai-Pan
258th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 00:12post reply

quote:

I don't understand Japanese, but here's a (confuse) translation by a member from SRK.com:

Yo, everybody, sup!
It started with an amazing opening ceremony by Chan Imou, and now things are really getting serious, and a whole bunch of lordly battles are playing themselves out in front of us.
Kitajima was all over the news this morning. (Kitajima is a Japanese swimmer that won gold.)

Street Fighter 4 is going to get pretty hot too!! It's coming, it's coming. Something will happen on 8/15. Something that lots of fans have been waiting for is coming this way!!

It's been a month since the machines went out. I think you've all got in a lot of practice with your favorite character. Now you'll really get to test your skill! Give a testament to the experience, skills, and courage that you've piled up!!

Aim for it, Seth! Defeat him, Seth! And then, the thing that you've been waiting for... Nothing special will happen for a simple halfhearted battle. So, there's only three more days till it happens. So give it your best and Fight!

It looks like from this Friday on, something special will appear by defeating Seth in a non-"simple halfhearted battle" way. I guess it could be a secret boss (that, or Capcom decided to put Seth as an unlockable character).

Who could it be? Akuma? Gouken? Shin Vega/M.Bison? Morrigan in her '90s DarkStalkers 2D sprite?

Anyway, this looks like a great addition! Not only that, it seems to show that additional content can be added in the Arcades via download (after all, this "special surprise" isn't in the arcades yet, so I guess it will be sent to them). Maybe the additional characters in the PS3/X360 versions may also be added to the arcades later, as well...

I hope its Gouken..if Gouki shows up..thats gonna be too boring

Iggy
8605th Post

"Re(2):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 00:16post reply

quote:
if Gouki shows up..thats gonna be too boring

You may not have noticed the general direction of SF4, then...

Tai-Pan
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 01:31post reply

quote:
if Gouki shows up..thats gonna be too boring
You may not have noticed the general direction of SF4, then...

I guess that in my life theres only room for disappointment. All the glory I was destined to embrace had been already consumed by the time Capcom wrote that simple note on the japanese realease of CVSSNK2..I knewit..but I didnt want to admit it. I want to be peter pan

Ishmael
3246th Post

"Re(4):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 01:44post reply

Whatever gets added in on Friday I'm sure we will have blurry cellphone pictures of it by Saturday.

Iron D
2947th Post

"Re(5):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 02:05post reply

Even if this Friday isn't Akuma, we all know that he'll show up sooner or later anyway. It's not a matter of if, it's when.

We'll see if Ono's hints about Gouken end up coming through though. Given his track record on things he's promised vs. things that were actually delivered, I'm highly skeptical.

STILL really looking forward to the game though.

Er.....

dr baghead
3771th Post

"Re(2):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 02:25post reply

quote:
I hope its Gouken..if Gouki shows up..thats gonna be too boring

Couldn't they both be the game?

You know like how SvC:Choas had a Red Armer (don't care to look up how that's really spelled) and Bikini Athena as "good" and "evil" themed hidden bosses, SF4 could very easily do the same.

They're gonna be the same basic character with the same moveset anyway, so it's not like making two sets of rules to determine which skin the boss has when you fight them is out of the question.

(although I wonder, will Gouken be "Gouken" in America? or like his brother will he get a pointless name change and be "Shen Long"?)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Ktallguy
1020th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 02:26post reply

It's probably gonna be SHEN LONG.

The mistranslation.

Play to win.

Iron D
2948th Post

"Re(3):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 13:31post reply

quote:

They're gonna be the same basic character with the same moveset anyway, so it's not like making two sets of rules to determine which skin the boss has when you fight them is out of the question.

It's completely wishful thinking, but it would be friggin' awesome if Gouken's move list was just like the one that EGM created when they did the Sheng Long joke. The fictional Sheng Long was like a reverse Akuma: he had a double fireball on the ground and a flaming air fireball (as opposed to Akuma's double air fireball and ground flaming fireball). Don't remember his other moves though.

Er.....

Grave
1106th Post

"Re(4):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 14:26post reply

Weren't they one arm fireballs? If they insist on putting him in the game, I'd be kinda great if this all came full circle and they did that.

Nekros
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 17:51post reply

quote:

Yo, everybody, sup!

Maybe the machines have an internal clock and certain goodies are unlocked only in a specific date.
Peraphs 15/08 both Seth and Gouki may show up.

Iron D
2950th Post

"Re(5):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Wed 13 Aug 18:05:post reply

quote:
Weren't they one arm fireballs? If they insist on putting him in the game, I'd be kinda great if this all came full circle and they did that.

Yeah, the double ground ones were. It was a prett cool movelist if you ask me. Yet another shoto, sure, but it would have been the most unique thing done with a shoto since Sakura.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Wed 13 Aug 18:05]

Pollyanna
2547th Post

"Re(6):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Fri 15 Aug 15:56post reply

So...uhm...yeah, it's Gouki.

Wheeee.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2420th Post

"Re(7):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Fri 15 Aug 16:35post reply

quote:

Wheeee.

My thoughts exactly

shipoopi

NARUTO
3666th Post

"Re(4):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Fri 15 Aug 17:40post reply

quote:
. The fictional Sheng Long was like a reverse Akuma: he had a double fireball on the ground and a flaming air fireball (as opposed to Akuma's double air fireball and ground flaming fireball). Don't remember his other moves though.

Well I only found this pic, so I don't know if other moves were created for him....

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Pollyanna
2548th Post

"Picture" , posted Fri 15 Aug 18:00post reply

How rude of me for not including a picture. Here:

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/imageboard/file/gorko.jpg

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Megane
438th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Picture" , posted Fri 15 Aug 19:02post reply

So Mr. Messatsu can do some moves. His Warp's fast.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6NDUm22k4

Just a Person
1206th Post

"Re(7):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Fri 15 Aug 21:09post reply

quote:

Wheeee.

That's okay, I guess. I'd prefer Gouken, but if Gouki was only shown now, maybe Gouken can also appear in the SFIV arcades later, as well.

He looks quite badass! Thanks for everyone who posted pictures and videos over here!

Ishmael
3248th Post

"Re(2):Pictures" , posted Fri 15 Aug 21:18post reply

The SF4 blog and home page have been updated to include the man of the hour.

quote:

Nice find! Between those double air fireballs and freaky fast teleport he's going to be a hard guy to catch. There were also a few things in there I couldn't quite make out. Was that an EX Hyakki Shuu at 1:25? Also, did he land a kick at the end of that Raging Demon at 2:49?

Iron D
2951th Post

"Re(3):Pictures" , posted Fri 15 Aug 22:30:post reply

quote:
The SF4 blog and home page have been updated to include the man of the hour.

Nice find! Between those double air fireballs and freaky fast teleport he's going to be a hard guy to catch. There were also a few things in there I couldn't quite make out. Was that an EX Hyakki Shuu at 1:25? Also, did he land a kick at the end of that Raging Demon at 2:49?

Someone on SRK mentioned that the operator has to put in a code to unlock him, and that there was some sort of indication that there were more characters to be unlocked in the arcade.

I've always been an Akuma fan, but DAMN if his character select portrait isn't freakin' tight as hell.

Edit: That statue in his stage looks a lot like that artwork of Goutetsu from the Alpha series.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Fri 15 Aug 22:40]

Tai-Pan
264th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Fri 15 Aug 23:19post reply

quote:

Wheeee.

Well...oh well?
PLEASE at least onre more new character, Gouken WHATEVER

Shindekudasai
244th Post

Frequent Customer

"Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Fri 15 Aug 23:43post reply

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=gXIDkSdhxi4

Music = awesome. And is it just me or does he seem a little more chatty than usual? Or at least doing less of the "HMMM!" thing this time.

Iron D
2951th Post

"Re(1):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Fri 15 Aug 23:57post reply

quote:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=gXIDkSdhxi4

Music = awesome. And is it just me or does he seem a little more chatty than usual? Or at least doing less of the "HMMM!" thing this time.

Wow. That looked...incredibly easy.

Er.....

Ktallguy
1025th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 02:39post reply

Game looks better and better every vid.

Play to win.

Pollyanna
2549th Post

"Re(3):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 05:53post reply

quote:

Yeah, I got a chance to play it recently, and I thought it was really great. I would be completely sold on it if it wasn't for the cast. It's especially annoying for me because I'm usually attracted to weird, complicated characters.

To me, supers and EX moves felt really important. Like...probably because things felt kind of "basic" I was looking for something to get me an opening or change the tide of the fight. I found myself using EX moves more than usual because I couldn't wait for the super. Waiting for the ultra (or whatever it's called) gauge to fill up was an act in anxiety as well.

But that's a good thing, I think. I won most of my matches with the ultra move, so it felt good to have something to whip out that really turns things around.

The game really didn't feel as much like SF2 as I thought it would, either. It was more like 3rd Strike with boring characters and no parries.

I didn't play it a whole lot, though...and I don't know anything about anything, so my opinion may not be worth much at all.

I'd like to know if other people who have played it share my feelings at all or if I'm totally off base, though.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

EddyT
765th Post

"Re(4):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 07:45post reply

quote:

Yeah, I got a chance to play it recently, and I thought it was really great. I would be completely sold on it if it wasn't for the cast. It's especially annoying for me because I'm usually attracted to weird, complicated characters.

To me, supers and EX moves felt really important. Like...probably because things felt kind of "basic" I was looking for something to get me an opening or change the tide of the fight. I found myself using EX moves more than usual because I couldn't wait for the super. Waiting for the ultra (or whatever it's called) gauge to fill up was an act in anxiety as well.

But that's a good thing, I think. I won most of my matches with the ultra move, so it felt good to have something to whip out that really turns things around.

The game really didn't feel as much like SF2 as I thought it would, either. It was more like 3rd Strike with boring characters and no parries.

I didn't play it a whole lot, though...and I don't know anything about anything, so my opinion may not be worth much at all.

I'd like to know if other people who have played it share my feelings at all or if I'm totally off base, though.

Polly, you are right about using EX moves... for some characters, it's better to use EX much more often than to save it and use it for a super. EX moves are really handy in the game, and the fact that most Ultras are fairly useful give you more incentive to use up the Super bar for EX stuff.

You are kinda right about the cast being boring. I play Viper only because the rest of the cast doesn't really float my boat, and at the same time I get frustrated with Viper because she is so weak compared to the others. I work really hard to win games against guys like Zangief, Dictator and Rufus, only to get shut down by several of their moves that I seemingly can't do anything about.

It's unfortunate that Capcom seemingly doesn't care about tweaking the gameplay so that the weaker characters can compete with the stronger ones. There are quite a few many people have seen in SFIV where you say, "Wow, that's actually quite unfair", but there's nothing you can do about it. It's been over a month since the game came out, and they could have tweaked some things by now, but I think all they care about now is getting the console versions out the door, and who knows if even then they'll tweak the characters? And nobody knows if the arcade versions will reflect the console changes... I personally doubt it.

It's a good first attempt, but I'm already hoping for better things on the next try.

kofoguz
608th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):The arcade may have a hidden boss, aft" , posted Sat 16 Aug 19:04post reply

quote:

Wheeee.

Did I miss something new?

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Nekros
73th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 19:47post reply

quote:

I agreed on both states.
The real minus I've seen so far in the game is the lack of RECENT or NEW carachters in favor of the old, abused cast of SF2.
Come on, they appear in lots of fighting games: the Ex Series, Zero3, CvS 1 and 2, even SvC Chaos. I don't think it's wiser remove them completely, but filling the roster with a couple of new faces and some SF3 chars is a clever, fresher idea.
Who cares nowadays about Boxer, DeeJay and T-Hawk for example? If the problem are the "freaky" or "complex" SF3 chars, why simply NOT to put them in SF4 and give a chance to more "human" and "simply" characters? I mean, it would really hurts SFIV if Dudley, Elena, Alex, Ibuki or Hugo are added?

Iron D
2952th Post

"Re(5):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 20:05post reply

What amazes me is how much whining was happening when SF3 came out and how there were almost no returning characters, and it now seems that the lack of those very same characters seems to be the biggest gripe with this game. Is the lesson here that the naysayers always speak louder than the supporters or that you just can't please everyone?

Er.....

Nekros
74th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 21:20post reply

quote:
What amazes me is how much whining was happening when SF3 came out and how there were almost no returning characters, and it now seems that the lack of those very same characters seems to be the biggest gripe with this game. Is the lesson here that the naysayers always speak louder than the supporters or that you just can't please everyone?

Wait.
I never complaint about no returning characters in SF3, I loved the idea. If you think, is exactly the same thing between SF1 and SF2 (except Sagat).
I just don't like the SF2 chars because they're too old in concept and overused in other games. At least, not the entire cast is worth to reappear, imho.
Calling a game "IV" and having more or less, the same characters as two episodes before, with less changes in combo and moves is a bit lazy.

Iggy
8607th Post

"Re(6):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 21:27post reply

quote:
Is the lesson here that the naysayers always speak louder than the supporters

Not the same people complaining. Many of those who didn't like the SF3 cast more or less abandonned the 2D fighting game world with the passing years, and people complaining now about SF4 are the ones who stuck with SF3. That game is trying to get the first ones back, in a manner that infuriates the seconds.
So, yeah,
quote:
you just can't please everyone

Freeter
4419th Post

"Re(6):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sat 16 Aug 23:53post reply

quote:
Is the lesson here that the naysayers always speak louder than the supporters or that you just can't please everyone?

The lesson here is Capcom wants money. Your money.

If people want to see Ryu dragon punching a hippo then Capcom will do it.

shin ramberk
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sun 17 Aug 03:01post reply

quote:
Is the lesson here that the naysayers always speak louder than the supporters or that you just can't please everyone?

I'm against animal cruelty but I want to see Ryu punching a hippo.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Gojira
2422th Post

"Re(8):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sun 17 Aug 04:00post reply

quote:

*shrug*

shipoopi

Tai-Pan
268th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sun 17 Aug 09:55post reply

quote:

*shrug*

You always deliver.

Iron D
2953th Post

"Re(9):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sun 17 Aug 14:59post reply

quote:

This is nothing new. What gaming company doesn't?

quote:

*shrug*

Hell, I'd buy it.

Er.....

EddyT
766th Post

"Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sun 17 Aug 15:10post reply

I fought Gouki yesterday. It wasn't very exciting. He was much easier than Seth.

He'll probably be broken when he's playable.

Nekros
75th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sun 17 Aug 20:12post reply

quote:
I fought Gouki yesterday. It wasn't very exciting. He was much easier than Seth.

Why? Damage ratio not seems very unbalanced to me.

EddyT
767th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Sun 17 Aug 20:31post reply

quote:

Why? Damage ratio not seems very unbalanced to me.

Well, there are a few reasons why I worry.

One, double EX fireballs may be really hard to get around, even if they require meter.

Two, I always felt that if Gouki had EX moves in 3S, he would have been too powerful. Now he has EX moves in IV.

Three, nobody has really play-tested Gouki, so crazy combos and/or really unfair tactics may be possible with him. Also, the game hasn't had any gameplay fixes since the game was officially released... so if he's broken, we may have to live with it.

chazumaru
584th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Mon 18 Aug 11:24post reply

EddyT, I don't understand why you are scared that Capcom will never balance the game.

I think it is optimistic... No, I think it is downright foolish to hope for a simple update in the form of a nice, free and fast "patch" applied to the current game. On the other hand, the SF series set in stone the concept of "let's release a sequelish update one year later that fixes most issues of the previous version".

Combine this with the fact we know the console versions of the coming winter will feature new characters and the necessity for arcade operators to justify the purchase of the SFIV cabinets... A 2009 update with new characters, a better balanced existing cast and an awkward subtitle is pretty much a given. Unless the home versions somehow miserably bomb (but it doesn't appear to be going toward that direction). Hell! If Street Fighter IV follows Capcom's track record with its fighting game updates, your C.Viper might actually become the most dominating character by the time SFIV gets interesting!

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Nekros
82th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Wed 20 Aug 21:25post reply

Some news:

According to translation of a recent SF4 blog entry, Gouki will became playable next week. I'm expecting a lot from you, Eddy ^_-

The release date of the console version may be on the end of february, the same day of the crappy chunli movie release. I seriously doubt it, maybe in the States is possbile.

Capcom and MadCatz are working toghether on the official console stick of SF4. Hori, where are you? -_-

Tai-Pan
276th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Wed 20 Aug 23:40post reply

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169458

"1UP: So is the game on its way to reinvigorating Japanese arcades?

YO: Well, we have enough units out there and it seems to be doing quite well so far -- we'll be following it closely to see how the game does over time. I want to see if people will still be playing it a year from now -- that'll be the true test. Our approach was to give arcades what they really wanted, though -- a high-end fighting experience -- so I have high hopes."

It seems there won't be any new versions of SFIV as in the old times...those times are gone.
It also seems that the console versions won't have many extras

Just a Person
1211th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Thu 21 Aug 02:26post reply

I don't think it needs many extras, actually. 4 more exclusive characters besides Fei-Long and Dan (could be even less, but it's better to ask 4 so that at least one more girl besides Cammy has more chance to appear in SFIV), the anime sequences, and online mode. Maybe Seth and Gouki playable, and that's it.

y2k
13th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Thu 21 Aug 06:13post reply

1UP: How about Sheng Long? [Capcom has hinted that the famous EGM April Fools' joke character is actually in the game --Ed.]

YO: Are you coming to the Tokyo Game Show? How about you ask me that question again then. [Smiles]

sheng long confirmed? :DDDD

Ishmael
3255th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Thu 21 Aug 21:22post reply

If anyone does manage to play Akuma/Gouki/Bead Boy please share your impressions. If nothing else let us know how he can activate his EX moves without accidentally teleporting.

quote:
It seems there won't be any new versions of SFIV as in the old times...those times are gone.

Now that's one break from tradition I certainly don't mind.

Iron D
2955th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Fri 22 Aug 02:00post reply

quote:

Now that's one break from tradition I certainly don't mind.

Well I certainly mind. Without the updated versions we never would have got Super Turbo, Alpha 3 and Third Strike.

Unless Cap is going to stay on it with these online updates and these updates include patches to fix balance problems as well as plenty of new characters and backgrounds, in which case there would be no need for new versions.

Er.....

Ishmael
3257th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Fri 22 Aug 03:40post reply

quote:
Well I certainly mind. Without the updated versions we never would have got Super Turbo, Alpha 3 and Third Strike.

Unless Cap is going to stay on it with these online updates and these updates include patches to fix balance problems as well as plenty of new characters and backgrounds, in which case there would be no need for new versions.

Hrm, perhaps I should clarify my comments a bit. I agree that there have been impressive changes made in some of these upgraded versions. Instead, what I was celebrating was the idea that there wouldn't be any malarky like having a nearly completed Hugo lurking in the coding of SF3: New Generation. I'm also hoping that online patches and DLC -which I consider to be a pestilence on the video game community- will be kept to a minimum but that's probably too much to ask for. What I want is for SF4 to be as complete an experience as possible without having to rely on upgrades, revisions or any other sort of changes that might improve but would still dilute the game.

Iron D
2956th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Fri 22 Aug 04:12post reply

quote:

Hrm, perhaps I should clarify my comments a bit. I agree that there have been impressive changes made in some of these upgraded versions. Instead, what I was celebrating was the idea that there wouldn't be any malarky like having a nearly completed Hugo lurking in the coding of SF3: New Generation. I'm also hoping that online patches and DLC -which I consider to be a pestilence on the video game community- will be kept to a minimum but that's probably too much to ask for. What I want is for SF4 to be as complete an experience as possible without having to rely on upgrades, revisions or any other sort of changes that might improve but would still dilute the game.

I certainly agree with you on DLC being Satan's gift to videogames, and I too would like for the first game in a series to be complete enough to not need constant updates. It already sounds like that's not the case with SF4 unfortunately.

I guess I'd just rather have the ability update a game that may have problems rather than just letting the game be broken.

Er...was there really a nearly completed Hugo hidden in New Generation?

Er.....

Iggy
8612th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Fri 22 Aug 05:40post reply

quote:
Instead, what I was celebrating was the idea that there wouldn't be any malarky like having a nearly completed Hugo lurking in the coding of SF3: New Generation.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Most developers have to decide to ultimately drop out some elements to ship the game on time. Would you rather the game to ship finished, if "finish" means "we'll never touch it again, and screw those Hugo drafts", or would you rather they ship a beta version that they continuously tweak via an endless stream of patches, a new move here, a new system there, a few balance issues 2 month later, making fighting games developers act like MMORPGs developers ?

If I recall correctly something Ono said a few month earlier (but we know how reliable his interviews tends to be; it's like he's a PR that says anything the interviewer wants to hear without any connection, knowledge, or power on what the game ultimately turns out)(hey, I think I'm on something here), he considered the home version of SF4 like an evolution of the arcade game, which would in turn evolve for the arcades, and so on.
I understand it as : SF4 (arcade) SF4.1 (consumer) SF4.2 (arcade) SF4.3 (consumer)... It's even farther on the track HSSFZX+triple upper.

It could be a profitable way to develop the game, if it's planned accurately in the long term. On the other hand (and if I'm right), I wonder if several small jumps (instead of a few huge leaps) will allow much freedom in deep system adjustments, like each revision of Zero or 3 had.

I'm just rambling here. Maybe I should stop.

Tai-Pan
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 06:02post reply

quote:

Was it??

And..hum I'm just asking...why are DLCs so evil?

Iron D
2957th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 08:45post reply

quote:

Was it??

And..hum I'm just asking...why are DLCs so evil?

IMO, most developers use DLC as an excuse to nickel and dime consumers, purposely keeping out things that they know they could have put in to begin with. I'm not so sure that SF4 falls in this category, as there are developers who actually use DLC to keep a game fresh and include things that couldn't be included before, but usually developer's approach to DLC has fallen under the former category.

Er.....

Zepy
1484th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 09:53post reply

quote:
IMO, most developers use DLC as an excuse to nickel and dime consumers, purposely keeping out things that they know they could have put in to begin with. I'm not so sure that SF4 falls in this category, as there are developers who actually use DLC to keep a game fresh and include things that couldn't be included before, but usually developer's approach to DLC has fallen under the former category.

Or they do it like Namco and charge $4 to let your characters gain 10 free levels or another $4 to get a bunch of in-game money in Tales of Vesperia. Content? What's that?

chazumaru
594th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 10:03post reply

quote:

"Nearly completed" is probably stretching it. Fairly advanced, yes.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Tai-Pan
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 10:32post reply

quote:

"Nearly completed" is probably stretching it. Fairly advanced, yes.

Really? How do you know? Where can I get more info about this?

I must apology about the DLC discussion. I wasn't paying attention and when you said DLC only downloadable games came to my mind. I love some of those games..like Braid. However, I do think that downloadable CONTENT is EVIL. Its BS
I'm sorry

nobinobita
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 10:54post reply

quote:

It could be a profitable way to develop the game, if it's planned accurately in the long term. On the other hand (and if I'm right), I wonder if several small jumps (instead of a few huge leaps) will allow much freedom in deep system adjustments, like each revision of Zero or 3 had.

I'm just rambling here. Maybe I should stop.

Capcom will definitely do whatever will make them more money (as will any sensible business). Perhaps it'll be a combination of the two. Maybe they'll nickel and dime us for a while with minor tweaks, then when there's enough upgrades cumulated they can put all those upgrades plus a few new characters into one package and sell it as SFIV: Turbo.

It'll probably be like having expansion packs for MMOs.

Or maybe they will actually just release upgrades as seperate titles, as they've done in the past. This way they can still charge for each upgrade as a full game. Having to constantly download patches for a fighting game will really undermine the feeling of fidelity that a fighting game (especially one like SF) should have.

Has there been a previous fighting game with lots of downloadable patches?

Grave
1114th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 12:50:post reply

quote:

Really? How do you know? Where can I get more info about this?

When CPS3 was emulated, the sprites were found. He's not really "playable" but I believe there is a hack so he'll be selectable and display, or at least screens of his early form do exist.

edit: They found other cool shit too, like widescreen mode in 2I!

[this message was edited by Grave on Fri 22 Aug 12:50]

Variable Savior
442th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 13:06post reply

I can't wait to buy some horse armor for my Ryu

Toxico
4430th Post

"...." , posted Fri 22 Aug 14:40post reply

quote:

Well, on the PC doujin soft context; of course we might find such examples (Super Cosplay Wars comes to mind, but I'm not 100% sure of how many updates where, but I always knew of people whinning about updates).

I can already foresee updates issues like 'certain parties supporting X1 update while another party sticks to X0,5 update' and the like, things could go complicated if there is some kind of game server that force the updates, and they don't end up being "people's choice".

My take on the issue? I don't know since when people got this beautiful, magical expectations that games are going to end up being fun, perfect, balanced and with 70% visual key cast; Street Fighter IV is a good example of how a game with +20 revisions won't suffice popular nor personal qualms; so it's better to deal with it and try to have some fun; or play "perfectly balanced" chess (wich is good, in it's own personal quiet whisky boosted way).

Iggy
8613th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 22 Aug 15:53post reply

quote:
Or they do it like Namco and charge $4 to let your characters gain 10 free levels or another $4 to get a bunch of in-game money in Tales of Vesperia. Content? What's that?

No, really ? They did that ?

Oh, wah. That's a step forward their former "give us 200 yens and we'll give you 3 new polygons for your airplane/Ivy's boobs).

NARUTO
3669th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouki vid" , posted Fri 22 Aug 18:16post reply

quote:
I'm also hoping that online patches and DLC -which I consider to be a pestilence on the video game community- will be kept to a minimum but that's probably too much to ask for.

100% agree! I couldn't say it in a better way!

Fortes fortuna juvat...

chazumaru
595th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Ono interview of the day" , posted Fri 22 Aug 20:46post reply

Another Ono interview. What he said this time:

*Really prefers the new system to Blocking ("Parry") because it is easier to master for beginners.

*He doesn't think they'll include new characters via purchasable DLC as it might break the overall balance and would not be fair for players who could not afford the extra characters. On the other hand, they are thinking about DLC for extra items and costumes.

*Wii version is still officially undecided because of the extra challenge and development time required, but he is personally hoping to have SFIV on as many platforms as possible in the end.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Ishmael
3259th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Mon 25 Aug 03:12post reply

quote:
Instead, what I was celebrating was the idea that there wouldn't be any malarky like having a nearly completed Hugo lurking in the coding of SF3: New Generation.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Most developers have to decide to ultimately drop out some elements to ship the game on time. Would you rather the game to ship finished, if "finish" means "we'll never touch it again, and screw those Hugo drafts", or would you rather they ship a beta version that they continuously tweak via an endless stream of patches, a new move here, a new system there, a few balance issues 2 month later, making fighting games developers act like MMORPGs developers ?

I understand that budgets, time and other factors conspire against any sort of creative project being made by a corporation. But with the first SF3 it felt like someone at Capcom tossed that sucker out the door before it was finished. Having 2I come out only seven months later made me feel like NG was a first draft, finding out that half-formed Hugo was buried inside confirmed it for me.

quote:

Well, on the PC doujin soft context; of course we might find such examples (Super Cosplay Wars comes to mind, but I'm not 100% sure of how many updates where, but I always knew of people whinning about updates).

Didn't DOA4 also have a downloadable patch?

Pollyanna
2550th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Mon 25 Aug 10:22post reply

quote:

Didn't DOA4 also have a downloadable patch?

Yes. It rebalanced things a bit, if I recall.

Personally, I like to see those sort of patches in games. If Capcom waits until the 2nd version to rebalance the first version characters, then they'll still have potentially poor balance with the 2nd version characters, which won't be fixed until the 3rd version and so on. From a business perspective, I can understand the advantage, but generally speaking, if they have a network set up and some characters are blatantly over/under powered, it seems like they could do something.

On the subject of "DLC", I love Sega's "download to get what you already have" approach. On VF5, you had to pay money for costume accessories that were already on the disk when you bought it. Then on PSU, you had to wait months for "downloadable updates" that were also already on the disk and ready to go. Their tactic, I can only assume, was to drag out interest in an otherwise uninteresting game.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
2959th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Mon 25 Aug 15:47post reply

quote:

On the subject of "DLC", I love Sega's "download to get what you already have" approach. On VF5, you had to pay money for costume accessories that were already on the disk when you bought it. Then on PSU, you had to wait months for "downloadable updates" that were also already on the disk and ready to go. Their tactic, I can only assume, was to drag out interest in an otherwise uninteresting game.

Fucking disgusting. That is the epitome of the term "rip off".

And to think, Sega used to be one of my favorite gaming companies. I mean, they still are...but only because of the nostalgia of the good ol' days...

Er.....

Shindekudasai
251th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Mon 25 Aug 15:55post reply

quote:
on PSU, you had to wait months for "downloadable updates" that were also already on the disk and ready to go. Their tactic, I can only assume, was to drag out interest in an otherwise uninteresting game.

I haven't played PSU yet (holding out for Phantasy Star Portable), but this doesn't surprise me one bit, considering how they treated us back in the PSO days. Geez, everything I've posted today's making me feel old. G'night, peepz.

Gojira
2429th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Mon 25 Aug 16:17post reply

quote:

On the subject of "DLC", I love Sega's "download to get what you already have" approach. On VF5, you had to pay money for costume accessories that were already on the disk when you bought it.

You know, this is becoming a problem with online fighters. Herein lies the issue: WTF are you supposed to do if you're online fighting someone who has this DLC that you don't have? Is it invisible, and thus worthless? Does the game have to waste a few minutes downloading it to your drive every time you fight someone with it, thus making it a pain in the ass? Or maybe it should just simply not connect, thus causing DLC to alienate those who purchase it? No, the only answer is it HAS to be on the disc. There is no other reasonable solution aside from not having DLC and making everything on the disc free. It's dumb, but that's all they can do. And because of that, you get people looking at disc content and thinking the cart goes up here and the horse goes back there.

shipoopi

Pollyanna
2551th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Mon 25 Aug 17:10post reply

quote:

You know, this is becoming a problem with online fighters. Herein lies the issue: WTF are you supposed to do if you're online fighting someone who has this DLC that you don't have? Is it invisible, and thus worthless? Does the game have to waste a few minutes downloading it to your drive every time you fight someone with it, thus making it a pain in the ass? Or maybe it should just simply not connect, thus causing DLC to alienate those who purchase it? No, the only answer is it HAS to be on the disc. There is no other reasonable solution aside from not having DLC and making everything on the disc free. It's dumb, but that's all they can do. And because of that, you get people looking at disc content and thinking the cart goes up here and the horse goes back there.

No, the solution is easy, and it's something I'm pretty sure a lot of companies do. Whenever new content is released, then you have a mandatory download patch, whether you buy the content or not. Then you pay to use it if you like, or don't if you don't.

The downside in this scenario is that it takes up disc space even if you don't use it, but that's a pretty petty complaint, I think. Although you still end up with the "I have it but I can't access it" scenario, in this case, the idea is that the company is putting out new content that could not have gone on the disk instead of just telling you when you have the right to use something you essentially already paid for.

Of course, this would be annoying in a situation where they updated the DLC, like...every other day (and you had no interest in any of it), but that's not a very realistic scenario.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3263th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 29 Aug 21:47post reply

Included in the latest update to the SF4 page is the move list for Akuma. Just curious, but what is his move?

Iggy
8621th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 29 Aug 22:06post reply

quote:
Included in the latest update to the SF4 page is the move list for Akuma. Just curious, but what is his move?

Shungokusatsu for the normal imput (supercombo) and Shin Shungokusatsu for the other (ultracombo).

Ishmael
3264th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Better quality Akuma/Gouk" , posted Fri 29 Aug 22:39post reply

quote:
Shungokusatsu for the normal imput (supercombo) and Shin Shungokusatsu for the other (ultracombo).

Thanks. I could guess what the move was based on the button imputs but I didn't know what the name was. Now the only question is what sort of difference there is between the moves. Well, the differences besides going instead of .

I seem to really be enjoying the icons this morning.

Megane
439th Post

Gold Customer

"They said it couldn't be done...." , posted Mon 1 Sep 16:04post reply

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s3X0RAPgUSo

That's RSF -> Run Stop Fierce

Iron D
2977th Post

"Re(1):They said it couldn't be done...." , posted Mon 1 Sep 18:29post reply

quote:

Uh oh...is that an INFINITE?

Er.....

EddyT
769th Post

"Re(2):They said it couldn't be done...." , posted Mon 1 Sep 18:42:post reply

quote:

No...

They eventually get dizzy.

Haha, I kid. It is pretty much.

It's pretty hard to do... I'm still working on getting two of the fierces to connect.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Mon 1 Sep 18:42]

Iron D
2978th Post

"Re(3):They said it couldn't be done...." , posted Mon 1 Sep 19:07post reply

quote:

No...

It's pretty hard to do... I'm still working on getting two of the fierces to connect.

Well, no matter how much check testing you do, some kind of cheap aspect has to show up eventually.

But why do I get the feeling that this really won't make him any better of a character competition-wise?

Er.....

EddyT
769th Post

"Re(4):They said it couldn't be done...." , posted Mon 1 Sep 19:32post reply

quote:

No...

Well, no matter how much check testing you do, some kind of cheap aspect has to show up eventually.

But why do I get the feeling that this really won't make him any better of a character competition-wise?

He will still have problems that aren't remedied by having this infinite. If you zone him well, there's not much he can do if he can't get close to you or knock you down.

Regardless, I agree that an infinite, no matter whether the character is good or bad to start off with, shouldn't be in any game in any form. I hope that in return of removing the infinite in any subsequent revision, they will give him more priorities and/or moves that will help him against the rest of the cast.

Nekros
87th Post

Occasional Customer

"Edge review" , posted Thu 4 Sep 05:50post reply

The (in?)famous european magazine Edge talks excited about the arcade version: http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/the-best-street-fighter-ever

Overall score is 9/10

Realistic or hyped?

Iggy
8630th Post

"Re(1):Edge review" , posted Thu 4 Sep 06:02post reply

quote:
/the-best-street-fighter-ever

quote:
Realistic or hyped?

Well...

Ishmael
3269th Post

"Re(1):Edge review" , posted Thu 4 Sep 21:43post reply

quote:
The (in?)famous european magazine Edge talks excited about the arcade version: http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/the-best-street-fighter-ever

Overall score is 9/10

Realistic or hyped?

Due to nagging reports of corruption and second guessing attempts to tell the audience what it wants to hear I tend to approach mainstream reviews with a bit of caution. I also don't trust independant reviews since they are often pointlessly contrary, elitist or just plain snotty. At this point I don't trust anything I read about videogames.

I am, however, happy to see that SF has returned to popular culture enough that it warrants an article like this. Moving SF back out of the cult following it currently has is a welcome change.

Professor
2498th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 02:31:post reply

quote:

Overall score is 9/10

Realistic or hyped?

9/10, if you're a Street Fighter fan that's been waiting years for a sequel.

7/10, if you're a fighting game player without any particular love towards the series.

4/10, if you're more of a GGXX or Melty Blood player.

IMO, it's strongly a matter of taste.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 5 Sep 02:35]

Count Hihihi
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 05:08post reply

quote:

'cept it's not a fucking sequel.

a·bel·o·gist - a person who argues in defense or justification of anything SFIV related.

Spoon
1614th Post

"Re(2):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 05:14:post reply

quote:

7/10, if you're a fighting game player without any particular love towards the series.

I fall into the first and 3rd categories (the third one mainly because it's the one game that I've had the most people to play with over the past few years), and I have to say that it's really not my favourite fighting game of the year. It has some enormously entertaining points (the facial expressions), isn't bad to look at at all... but it feels kind of flat/boring, and not just in relation to GG/HnK/AH/other-game-with-hugeass-combos.

Its look is arresting enough and it's simple enough to grab a lot of new players, and that's commendable. At the arcades I've been to, I'm seeing people gather to watch it, and people put money in that I've never seen play before. But I have to worry if that same simplicity is going to affect its longevity. I want to play it again, but not because I enjoy playing it (which I only somewhat do); I want to play it so that I can see what happens to each character when their face gets splattered onto the screen by Seth's vacuum super.

Then again, my opinion is that among all the fighting games that have come out this year that I've played, GOF has the most enjoyable fighting. That includes Brawl, SC4, SF4, 98UM, SBX, SWR, and Kunio-kun Dodgeball. This of course means that I'm insane and should not be listened to.

So on a scale of 0 to GOF, it gets a 6.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 5 Sep 05:15]

Nekros
89th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 06:07post reply

quote:

IMO, it's strongly a matter of taste.

To me, I'm between 1 and 2.
I'm a fighting game player (rarely 3D games, though) and a great Street Fighter fan. But I love the series for the anime style and the solid gameplay, not for its characters; especially not for the II series ones.

Time Mage
2702th Post

"Re(3):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 07:00post reply

Hmmm. I'm a fan of pretty much every fighting game, but the engines I like the most are definitely Street Fighter ones. So, I guess that's a 9/10 for me. Good!

Iron D
2979th Post

"Re(4):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 07:29post reply

quote:
Hmmm. I'm a fan of pretty much every fighting game, but the engines I like the most are definitely Street Fighter ones. So, I guess that's a 9/10 for me. Good!

Ditto, except that I'm certainly not a fan of pretty much any fighting game...there are definitely some I don't like. But the SF series will always have a place in my heart as one of the greatest videogame series of all time.

Er.....

Tai-Pan
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 09:22post reply

quote:

Well, for me it would be a 9/10. But I havent played the game so...as Iggy said..."Well.."

Gojira
2436th Post

"Re(5):Edge review" , posted Fri 5 Sep 11:18post reply

I don't know about the review, but I like the game. My only problem with it is you can't taunt after you win.

shipoopi

crazymike
1469th Post

"Re(3):Edge review" , posted Sun 7 Sep 02:06post reply

quote:

'cept it's not a fucking sequel.

It is no less a sequel than every King of Fighters rendition every year in my book.

Count Hihihi
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Edge review" , posted Sun 7 Sep 16:24post reply

quote:

every King of Fighters rendition every year

Wow.