Japanese typing on English Windows - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1576 Views )

Maou
1462th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Japanese typing on English Windows" , posted Sat 12 Jul 10:30post reply

Hey kids, here's a weird question that maybe a few people might know the answer to: when typing in Japanese on English-language version of Windows, the same Input Method Editor as Japanese Windows seems to apply and generally works well, but the one aggravation is that after you switch to Japanese from English (either via the language bar or by a hotkey macro), the text input remains in English even after the language bar displays "JP" rather than "EN," and you must instead change input mode to hiragana etc. by clicking back on the language bar.

This seems like a small thing, but it's kind of a bummer to have to do this for every new program where you're switching languages. The English help file for the program, of course, is inscrutable. Any tips? Thanks!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

Gojira
2406th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Japanese typing on English Windows" , posted Sat 12 Jul 10:36:post reply

Are you using XP? On my version you just press left alt+shift to switch languages and then alt+~ to toggle between romaji and hiragana input.

For katakana it looks like you have to do it manually though

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 12 Jul 10:41]

Maou
1463th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Japanese typing on English Windows" , posted Sat 12 Jul 11:57post reply

quote:
Are you using XP? On my version you just press left alt+shift to switch languages and then alt+~ to toggle between romaji and hiragana input.

For katakana it looks like you have to do it manually though

Ohoh, thanks for the tip there. Definitely a step in the right direction, though it'd be great if there were a way for it to type in kana by default without the alt+~ combo (since anyone switching languages in the language bar would obviously want to write in the new language). Japanese IME on English systems is so bizarre--great system design coupled with the worst interface and most baffling directions I've ever seen.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Gojira
2407th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Japanese typing on English Windows" , posted Sat 12 Jul 14:23post reply

quote:

Ohoh, thanks for the tip there. Definitely a step in the right direction, though it'd be great if there were a way for it to type in kana by default without the alt+~ combo (since anyone switching languages in the language bar would obviously want to write in the new language). Japanese IME on English systems is so bizarre--great system design coupled with the worst interface and most baffling directions I've ever seen.

Well, you should only have to switch it once, really. As long as you leave it in hiragana mode when you switch back, it'll stay in hiragana.

shipoopi