PSP/DS Mod Discussion - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1908 Views )

Shindekudasai
228th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Sat 12 Jul 05:19post reply

So I get home from vacation and find that my big, fat retirement check has arrived. I picked up a new DS and decided to grab a PSP while I'm at it. I know next to nothing about firmware versions and magic memory and Pandora batteries, etc. I just want to put some cool stuff on my PSP like SNES emulators, etc. Could anyone break it down for me in plain english?

I've been planning on picking up a DS-Xtreme for some time, but after some last-minute research found it to be junk and went with CycloDS Evolution instead. Looks like it'll do everything I need (mp3, homebrew, etc).

So who else is into this? Any good homebrews I should look into?

Replies:

sfried
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Sat 12 Jul 06:06:post reply

quote:

I've been planning on picking up a DS-Xtreme for some time, but after some last-minute research found it to be junk and went with CycloDS Evolution instead. Looks like it'll do everything I need (mp3, homebrew, etc).

I recently got myself an R4 just for the purpose of homebrewing. Here are some cool apps:

Colors!
A nice oekaki-esq app. Saves in PNG format onto your microSD

Protein[DS]
Great DJ-style music generator.

Animanatee
Animation program for DS.

NitroTracker
Musical editor that lets you make your own music. You can even record samples off your DS mic!

DSMI
Midi music generator. Turn your DS into a keyboard.

Pocket Physics
Based on the popular Crayon Physics.

ComicBookDS
Good for comics/manga (Original site is down for some reason).

(And before you "shake your fist" at me Eddie, no, I do not use my flashcard to play ROMs. I often get ridiculed for it.)

Edit: added more stuff.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 12 Jul 08:21]

Shindekudasai
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Sat 12 Jul 06:26post reply

I love this board! Thanks for the links, that DJ app looks especially interesting.

Gojira
2406th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Sat 12 Jul 10:59post reply

quote:
So I get home from vacation and find that my big, fat retirement check has arrived. I picked up a new DS and decided to grab a PSP while I'm at it. I know next to nothing about firmware versions and magic memory and Pandora batteries, etc. I just want to put some cool stuff on my PSP like SNES emulators, etc. Could anyone break it down for me in plain english?

It's pretty complicated. My advice is to read this guide since it was a big help to me.

shipoopi

Shindekudasai
230th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Sat 12 Jul 11:53post reply

Looks like I've got some studying to do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Shindekudasai
231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Tue 15 Jul 13:22post reply

My package arrived just after noon today. I must say I'm very satisfied with the CycloDS, the presentation is slick and so far it's got 100% compatability. Thanks for the links, Sfried - every single one of those programs you listed is made of win! How are the homebrew games for the system, is there anything out there that's really a catch? Everything I've seen so far (random google searches) has seemed kind of generic.

sfried
186th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Tue 15 Jul 13:49post reply

quote:
How are the homebrew games for the system, is there anything out there that's really a catch? Everything I've seen so far (random google searches) has seemed kind of generic.

There a couple:
Still Alive DS is essentially Portal: Flash Edition
Setsuzoku no Puzzle is a cute original puzzle game with not so original sprite of Tomo congratulating you after completing a level.
Cave Story DS is just a demo now. Hopefully the port will be complete some time soon...I hope.

Freeter
4418th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(5):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Fri 18 Jul 07:12post reply

Lone Wolf DS. Best homebrew game I've seen for the DS. You'd swear it was a real game.

sfried
190th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Fri 18 Jul 09:23post reply

quote:
Lone Wolf DS. Best homebrew game I've seen for the DS. You'd swear it was a real game.

Nice find! Slipped through my radar.

Shindekudasai
232th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):PSP/DS Mod Discussion" , posted Sun 20 Jul 15:53post reply

Wow! This homebrew stuff is absolutely mind-blowing. I just ordered another CycloDS for my brother - much better gaming gift than anything I could buy in stores.