R.I.P. For two good dudes... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1978 Views )

NARUTO
3657th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Tue 1 Jul 21:40post reply

Well news those two days sinec two "famous" peoples left us.

1st it was Michael Turner, who passed aways the 28th of this month, after a long fight agaisnt a Cancer. This work in the comcis industry wasn't always appreciated, but his did offer us some of the best covers, and some excellent series like Fathom or Soulfire...

He was the one who makes me read comics...and he was 37 years old only...

Secodnly it's the actor Don S davis, who passed aways the 29th. He was mostly known as the Géneral Hammond in the stargates series.

Sad week end.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3707th Post

"Re(1):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Tue 1 Jul 22:16post reply

quote:

Sad week end.

Do you people REALLY get sad when a celebrity dies? I've always been curious about this... I mean, the most I say when somebody tells me a celebrity passed away is "Oh really? too bad".
Are you really attached to the celebrities that you genuinely feel sad? It's not like you knew him or were his friend.

Am I wrong? or am I just a terrible person?

Oh, and this is a general question for everybody, not aimed towards you Naruto.

P.S. Too bad for the 2 good dudes...

Iggy
8543th Post

"Re(2):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Tue 1 Jul 23:51post reply

I guess it's PC to be sad when young people die, because they could have done so much more with their lives... but on the other hand, they had less time to make anything worthwhile of their life, something that would indeed make mankind feel its loss.

On the other hand, when someone really old dies (like Ingmar Bergman recently), there's nothing to be sad about : we should be relieved he died before making a fool of himself, like some famous french politician who forgot to take his medications and said a bunch of racist crap just before dying. Now THAT makes me sad.

But then, we live in a world were quite a bunch of morons will be genuinely sad if Paris Hilton dies tomorrow in a tragic portfolio accident.

Digitalboy
550th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Wed 2 Jul 00:43post reply

This is the internet, you are not a terrible person nor wrong.

Off topic note: it has been four years since our last election for the Cafe's biggest asshole. Are we gonna have one this year?
quote:
Do you people REALLY get sad when a celebrity dies? I've always been curious about this... I mean, the most I say when somebody tells me a celebrity passed away is "Oh really? too bad".
Are you really attached to the celebrities that you genuinely feel sad? It's not like you knew him or were his friend.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

RSJ
787th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Wed 2 Jul 01:33post reply

quote:

Sad week end.

The Internet makes us all into terrible people.

Gojira
2396th Post

"Re(4):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Wed 2 Jul 01:33post reply

The thing that's sad about Michael Turner's death is that he fought cancer for a long time, and with how active he was being this past year it really looked like he was going to pull through it.

Otherwise, yeah celebrities. Just like anyone else dying, you either find a reason to care or you don't. No offense to people who do.

shipoopi

shin ramberk
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Wed 2 Jul 01:39post reply

quote:

Sad week end.

I feel the same way you do Onslaught, but I also feel greater sadness if that person had an impact on my life. For example, I'm a fan of Michael Turner's art and I will be sad that he didn't live a longer life and produce more work. He was still young when he passed.

A few weeks ago Tim Russert died. Russert was a reporter and political commentator on TV news programs. I highly respected his reporting style, professionalism and what he brought to news reporting in general. A lot of folks, including myself, feel a big loss at his passing. He was still relatively young.

So the point is that I've never met these people but I did enjoy the work they made and in a way, they did have some sort of impact in my life.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Abster
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):R.I.P. For three good dudes..." , posted Wed 2 Jul 02:07post reply

hmmmm. I'm curious as to why George Carlin wasn't mentioned? He's one of the great comedians of America's time, and spent his life telling the truth and making us laugh.

sushi_bunny
444th Post

Gold Customer

"RIP Dave Stevens" , posted Wed 2 Jul 02:27:post reply

I'm sorry to announce Dave Stevens passed away last March.
He was very influential in Adam Warren's art.
George Carlin, RIP
Michael Turner RIP
Rest In Peace, and may all of you live in a better world than this.

sushi

Someday I will ask her to Cosplay as Kasumi from DOA for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BrPaeMePM

[this message was edited by sushi_bunny on Wed 2 Jul 02:29]

HAYATO
874th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):RIP Dave Stevens" , posted Wed 2 Jul 06:50post reply

quote:
George Carlin, RIP
Michael Turner RIP

sushi

Wow, some people die and others rise from their graves!!!

ONSLAUGHT
3708th Post

"Re(1):RIP Dave Stevens" , posted Wed 2 Jul 08:02post reply

quote:

Is this good or bad? I mean, Adam Warren's drawings are utter crap so...

Juan
4471th Post

"SUSHINGADA" , posted Wed 2 Jul 08:05post reply

quote:
George Carlin, RIP
Michael Turner RIP

sushi

SUSHINGADA

think well your answer

Iron D
2906th Post

"Re(1):SUSHINGADA" , posted Wed 2 Jul 09:43post reply

It's already been said, but I doubt most of us cares when some celebrity dies. However, if it was someone who did have some sort of impact on our lives, hell yes it's sad.

Tim Russert, Michael Turner, and especially George Carlin's passing were sad events for me. I didn't cry or anything but today's news media definitely needs more people like Tim Russert and George Carlin...well, he may have been old, but he IS one of the greatest comdedians ever and possibly my personal favorite. It sucks that there won't be any new material from him, and the suddenness of his passing took me off guard.

Michael Turner...well, I was no fan of his artwork, but to say he didn't have an impact on the comics community is to be blind. Plus, reading the testimonials of those who knew himk and hearing about how his passing effected this last weekend's big comic convention...well, it is depressing.

But lastly, I think if someone wants to make a thread as a small tribute to a celebrity's passing I don't see what the problem is. Coming into said thread and thread and posting stuff like "why do guys care about this?" and things of the like...that's just uncalled for. Make another thread on the subject, but don't go into someone else's tribute thread and try to ruin it.

I think the world would be better off without Paris Hilton, but if someone on the Cafe wanted to make a tribute thread for her, I'm not going to just mosey on in and start a flame war just because I can't stand her.

Come on, people. I know this is the Internet, but that doesn't mean that we at the Cafe have to stoop to the average Net idiot's level. I mean, is this the Cafe or a Halo 3 deathmatch?

Er.....

ONSLAUGHT
3710th Post

"Re(2):SUSHINGADA" , posted Wed 2 Jul 11:42post reply

quote:

But lastly, I think if someone wants to make a thread as a small tribute to a celebrity's passing I don't see what the problem is. Coming into said thread and thread and posting stuff like "why do guys care about this?" and things of the like...that's just uncalled for. Make another thread on the subject, but don't go into someone else's tribute thread and try to ruin it.

I think the world would be better off without Paris Hilton, but if someone on the Cafe wanted to make a tribute thread for her, I'm not going to just mosey on in and start a flame war just because I can't stand her.

Come on, people. I know this is the Internet, but that doesn't mean that we at the Cafe have to stoop to the average Net idiot's level. I mean, is this the Cafe or a Halo 3 deathmatch?

It was a honest question, and one I've always wanted to make in the countless "RIP some guy" threads I've seen during my internet years. I just wanted to know if the people that make/participate in these threads are really sad, or just made the thread because eventually someone was bound to make one...
And how is this a tribute thread anyway? I never saw much Turner talk around here, but suddenly he dies and he's like some saint that died for our sins? I knew who the guy was, I wanked to his drawings during his Witchblade run, I knew he was battling cancer, and now I know he died... too bad, but I won't fake some simpathy just because is the "right" thing to do. Yeah, perhaps that was uncalled for but that's how I feel.
And again, I wasn't raining on his funeral, I was just asking a question. Saying "why are you mourning your recently deceased son?" yeah, that's assholish, asking "do you really feel sad because someone you never knew passed away?" is just a question like in any other subject.

NARUTO
3658th Post

"Re(3):SUSHINGADA" , posted Wed 2 Jul 17:40post reply

quote:

It was a honest question, and one I've always wanted to make in the countless "RIP some guy" threads I've seen during my internet years. I just wanted to know if the people that make/participate in these threads are really sad, or just made the thread because eventually someone was bound to make one...
And how is this a tribute thread anyway? I never saw much Turner talk around here, but suddenly he dies and he's like some saint that died for our sins? I knew who the guy was, I wanked to his drawings during his Witchblade run, I knew he was battling cancer, and now I know he died... too bad, but I won't fake some simpathy just because is the "right" thing to do. Yeah, perhaps that was uncalled for but that's how I feel.
And again, I wasn't raining on his funeral, I was just asking a question. Saying "why are you mourning your recently deceased son?" yeah, that's assholish, asking "do you really feel sad because someone you never knew passed away?" is just a question like in any other subject.

Of course I'm not as sad as when a Familly memebers or friends dies, buch I'm someone do fell a bit... nostalgic about all the good moments I did have due to those persons.
for exemple Michael turner was one of my favorite comics artist and each of his art was a good moment for me... now I can only look backwards, and there won't be any new moments like this. I do fell a bit sad that I never had the chance to meet him as well.

The felling you missed something maybe...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Iron D
2907th Post

"Re(3):SUSHINGADA" , posted Wed 2 Jul 17:45post reply

quote:

I think the fact that Naruto was willing to make the thread in the first place shows at least a little concern. I doubt it's in the interest of being "PC" as Iggy said, because really who here in this particular forum really cares about being very PC?

quote:
And how is this a tribute thread anyway? I never saw much Turner talk around here, but suddenly he dies and he's like some saint that died for our sins? I knew who the guy was, I wanked to his drawings during his Witchblade run, I knew he was battling cancer, and now I know he died... too bad, but I won't fake some simpathy just because is the "right" thing to do.

Again, why would anyone exert the energy of faking concern for someone's death? Especially here? I think the fact that the time was taken to post anything, even a couple of words, shows at least a little concern.

I also don't see how much Turner was talked about has any impact on whether or not his dying should be mentioned. There are plenty of people who aren't talked about often that I'm sure would impact some Cafeers on some level.

quote:
Yeah, perhaps that was uncalled for but that's how I feel.

I understand what you're asking and I never said you shouldn't ask it (I admit that it's a good question), but I just don't see why the question could have just gotten it's own thread instead of being thrown right out at the beginning of a thread meant to show at least a little respect for someone who has passed away.

Er.....

Mokona
460th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Wed 2 Jul 23:52post reply

quote:
Do you people REALLY get sad when a celebrity dies?

I depends on the celebrity of course, but I'd say that for a quarter of a second, I truly feel sad when one of my favourite actors/musicians passes away. It certainly doesn't stop me from enjoying the rest of my day though.

Blah!

sushi_bunny
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):SUSHINGADA" , posted Thu 3 Jul 13:13post reply

SUSHINGADA

(BELCH!)
(California Roll Breath For You.)

sushi77

Someday I will ask her to Cosplay as Kasumi from DOA for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BrPaeMePM

Amakusa
767th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Thu 3 Jul 16:12post reply

quote:

Secodnly it's the actor Don S davis, who passed aways the 29th. He was mostly known as the Géneral Hammond in the stargates series.

Really? Dang, that sucks. He was one of the best things about Stargate SG-1 and there was a big gaping hole in the show after he left.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Burning Ranger
1567th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Fri 4 Jul 05:55post reply

quote:

Really? Dang, that sucks. He was one of the best things about Stargate SG-1 and there was a big gaping hole in the show after he left.

I'll second that. He was also great in Twin Peaks. He wasn't A-list celebrity and didn't purposely seek out attention. He appeared to genuinely play a good guy on screen and apparently was a good guy off screen too.

Turner's passing caught me by surprise because I thought all this time he was still working on stuff. He was really good at what he did.

George Carlin: a real legend and I won't forget him for his frank view of the world and for his roles on film.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Maese Spt
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):R.I.P. For two good dudes..." , posted Fri 4 Jul 23:05post reply

quote:

Gentlemen, let's be serious. This is the Internet. Nobody gives (nor should give) a damn for anything, so that's actually a rethoric question.

But one thing is for sure:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Onsy is a terrible, terrible person.

End of Spoiler