Basara X questions - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1828 Views )

Ishmael
3199th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Basara X questions" , posted Mon 30 Jun 22:43post reply

SBX seems like a fun game from the little time I've spent with it but I do have a few questions:

1. Should I wait to summon up my engun characters until they are fully leveled up or is the difference in damage not worth the wait?

2. This game has more readouts and meters than the dashboard of my car. How should I be most effectively charging my super, engun and Basara meters?

3. Do the characters ever shut up?

Replies:

Pollyanna
2520th Post

"Re(1):Basara X questions" , posted Tue 1 Jul 09:01post reply

I've played a fair amount, but I'm no expert. Blind leading the blind time!

1) It's not so much about damage as "opportunity". Combo opportunity, pressure opportunity, mixing things up...or at least that's my impression. I say it depends on the character/situation/what you can accomplish with your engun. Generally I try to wait, but some characters are more gimped than others without their engun.

2) The engun gauge takes care of itself, the super gauge goes up just fine as long as you don't turtle and...I guess the Basara thing follows? Just keep moving and applying pressure?

3) Yeah...no. I get a kick out of hearing what everyone has to say, but without like...a 5.1 track (instead of EVERYTHING coming out of all the speakers) it gets way too annoying to tolerate after like...15 minutes.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
8542th Post

"Re(1):Basara X questions" , posted Tue 1 Jul 18:35post reply

I think this is the first game centered on this period that forgot to include a playable ninja.

Ishmael
3200th Post

"Re(2):Basara X questions" , posted Wed 2 Jul 04:31post reply

quote:
1) It's not so much about damage as "opportunity". Combo opportunity, pressure opportunity, mixing things up...or at least that's my impression. I say it depends on the character/situation/what you can accomplish with your engun. Generally I try to wait, but some characters are more gimped than others without their engun.

I'm beginning to think I should be summoning the enguns earlier in the match since the damage difference seems to be negligable and most of them are there for opportunity than major damage. The only real exception to this seems to be Mori; having that guy's engun army come out and crush my blue life bar can make for a frustrating round.

quote:
I think this is the first game centered on this period that forgot to include a playable ninja.

Now that I think about it, this is one of the few fighting games anywhere that doesn't have a ninja. A game could be set on the other side of the universe and a space ninja would probably be in the cast. It's especially surprising in this case since I suspect that the Basara ninjas are more popular than some of the characters that made it into the game.

Pollyanna
2521th Post

"Re(3):Basara X questions" , posted Wed 2 Jul 07:09post reply

quote:

I'm beginning to think I should be summoning the enguns earlier in the match since the damage difference seems to be negligable and most of them are there for opportunity than major damage. The only real exception to this seems to be Mori; having that guy's engun army come out and crush my blue life bar can make for a frustrating round.

Yeah, and Mouri's gauge goes up realllly fast. You can really flood the screen when his engun is max.

If you're looking for a really easy way to do more damage with engun, just about everyone can do a simple chain into a d/f engun juggle into an air combo. Results may vary, but it's a good start. Calling them out while you're in the middle of an air combo is a decent guaranteed hit option as well (especially considering that so many moves can start air combos).

An example of a very easy pressure combo to try is Yukimura's ground chain, engun, dash (or instant air dash if you can) chain again.

Also, if you didn't know, on the higher levels you have access to a longer engun gauge, so you can have them attack up to three times in succession without them jumping to the background.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Evenor
651th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Basara X questions" , posted Wed 2 Jul 07:26post reply

quote:

Yeah, and Mouri's gauge goes up realllly fast. You can really flood the screen when his engun is max.

If you're looking for a really easy way to do more damage with engun, just about everyone can do a simple chain into a d/f engun juggle into an air combo. Results may vary, but it's a good start. Calling them out while you're in the middle of an air combo is a decent guaranteed hit option as well (especially considering that so many moves can start air combos).

An example of a very easy pressure combo to try is Yukimura's ground chain, engun, dash (or instant air dash if you can) chain again.

Also, if you didn't know, on the higher levels you have access to a longer engun gauge, so you can have them attack up to three times in succession without them jumping to the background.

So wait, this game doesn't suck (even with the TM revolution theme song!?)?

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Iggy
8544th Post

"Re(5):Basara X questions" , posted Wed 2 Jul 07:31post reply

quote:

it's better when you play alone. KOF2001 is still better though.

Red Falcon
6021th Post

"Re(5):Basara X questions" , posted Wed 2 Jul 11:00post reply

quote:

"Suck" is a very subjective term. If you can find some enjoyment in it, it doesn't suck for YOU... HOWEVER, I'll just say the game has some pretty heavy "issues"...

Kenshin's is particularly easy, you can get it down probably in 10 minutes of practicing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11DHPWoHJ-w Another use of it in what may be the first and last Japanese SBX tourney.

And as a bonus, Hideyoshi's, because it's hilarious.

There are plenty of other absurd (and sadly, practical, which is what actually matters) things in it, but they're all much the same, mostly "space race" type infinites.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Pollyanna
2522th Post

"Re(6):Basara X questions" , posted Wed 2 Jul 14:06post reply

As a tournament fighter, it sucks, but if you're going to play with a set of friends who are willing to play by a certain set of rules...it's pretty fun. Seeing as that's just about the only way I play fighting games and I love 2D fighters enough that anything that's at least somewhat competently made will do, I like the game just fine.

So depending on what you're looking for, it might not be too bad. I'm severely disappointed that they didn't iron out some of the obvious issues for the home version, though. The two extra characters were a nice addition (even though I don't use either of them), but it seems like it wouldn't have taken THAT much trouble to at least fix the obvious problems.

I dunno, it seems like some people LIKE infinites, though.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3202th Post

"Re(7):Basara X questions" , posted Thu 3 Jul 02:43post reply

Don't get me wrong, SBX does have more than its share of problems. But since I'm not playing host to a great deal of high level tournament play in my living room I can enjoy the game for what it is. Going from that viewpoint my only real disappointment with the game is that Nobunaga doesn't have a specific button dedicated to making him laugh. He spends plenty of time cackling as is, but if I make him do it on command it would be great.

Maese Spt
434th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Basara X questions" , posted Fri 4 Jul 23:08post reply

Wait... so anybody actually PLAYS Basara X? Oh, wow!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I tried to love the game, I really did, I swear. But I got bored at the second round of my first try :(

End of Spoiler