Shindekudasai
221th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 12:29post reply

Pros:
Wii! :)
Fighting game! :)
Simon, Alucard, Dracula, and Maria announced, with more to come! :)
Iga pushing the boundaries of the series to try something completely new and different! :)

Cons:
Character designs :( :( :( :(
(see for yourself...)

I get the feeling that this project was directly inspired by Dissidia, even the premise is similar. The main difference of course being that Dissidia's chara designs are slavishly faithful to Amano's originals (for the charas that Amano designed, anyway), and that these ones spit in the face of Ayami Kojima and every other artist in CV's history. Discuss!

Replies:

exodus
4137th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 15:18post reply

wait...what?

whitesword
1618th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 16:39post reply

wait...what?

Sensenic
1621th Post

"Re(2):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 16:58post reply

What? wait...

{...

Are the designs Takeshi Obata's?
Or at least, someone who tries to imitate him...

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Time Mage
2688th Post

"Re(3):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 17:11:post reply

What the...?

quote:
Are the designs Takeshi Obata's?
Or at least, someone who tries to imitate him...

I think you're right, those designs, specially Maria's, remind me a lot of his style. And I wouldn't count the designs as bad at all: Everyone except Alucard is excellent, specially Simon and Maria. Alucard looks a bit strange, that's undeniable. I would have loved to see him there in a suit as Arikado. The in-game models are not that good, sadly.

Anyway, this looks "wait, what?" and promising, at the same time!

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

[this message was edited by Time Mage on Fri 27 Jun 21:38]

Iggy
8533th Post

"Re(4):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 17:23post reply

This looks retardumb.

NARUTO
3655th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 18:09post reply

quote:
This looks retardumb.

The FF dissidia curse is spreading...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Sensenic
1624th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 18:14post reply

quote:

I think you're right, those designs, specially Maria's, remind me a lot of his style. And I wouldn't count the designs as bad at all: Everyone except Alucard is excellent, specially Simon and Maria. Alucard looks a bit strange, that's undeniable. I would have loved to see him there in a suit as Arikado. The in-game models are not that good, sadly.

Anyway, this looks "what, what?" and promising, at the same time!

Simon's design, good? But, but... Those clothes! Ack!
Shorts!

Also, I've also wanted to play as Arikado (as in, with the suit) for quite long now. Stylish!
XD

quote:
This looks retardumb.

I agree and I don't.

Given IGA's insistence in that he didn't want to make an action game for the Wii that consisted in whipping around all the time because it'd get tiresome, I'm glad they found a way out of it.
Now you can have wiimote whip control, and only for short periods of time, while the fight lasts.
So in that sense it might be a good idea.

I also agree with shindekudasai that they're at least trying new things...

But then, it ends up being a fanservice-ish, technically low-profile 3D fighting game (since it is for the Wii, who cares about doing graphics right, blahblah), Dissidia wannabe, with whacky character designs.
In that part, yes, it looks retardumb. :(

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Shindekudasai
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 18:16post reply

God? Santa? I don't care who's listening. Just SOMEONE, can we have unlockable costumes for Christmas? I promise to be a good boy and share this gift with the rest of the world. I mean, I wouldn't wish Simon's outfit on my worst enemy.

Well ... maybe Gackt. He'd get a kick out of it.

Ishmael
3195th Post

"Re(2):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 22:05post reply

quote:
wait...what?

... ?
I can honestly say I didn't see this one coming. The shot of the zombies cheering/moaning in the background is particularly odd.

Sensenic
1625th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 27 Jun 22:23post reply

quote:
wait...what?

... ?
I can honestly say I didn't see this one coming. The shot of the zombies cheering/moaning in the background is particularly odd.

Not sure if they're just there for "cheering"/atrezzo (admittedly that'd be awkwardly funny, though), apparently monsters will enter the fight and attack/bother you or whatever.

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Red Falcon
6017th Post

"Re(1):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 02:27post reply

Ouch.

Is it just me, or does Dracula have small cannons built in to his clothing?

Best site EVER:Link Here

Shindekudasai
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 02:30post reply

quote:
Ouch.

It's not just you. Personally I don't mind the look of Drac's armor so much, but did they have to make it gold? He looks, well, silly. And Maria looks like she's getting ready to join the Valis girls.

IkariDC
737th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 03:14post reply

I... like what I see! It really looks like Obata is handling the designs. I like Simon's design! I'll have to blame Visual Kei for that, though. But anyways, he's just a stylish redesign of Castlevania Chronicles Simon, who by the way wears shorts too. Doesn't the original wear some too?

Alucard doesn't look quite right, I have to agree with that.

Grave
1073th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 04:02post reply

This is such a terrible idea that I'm starting to like it.

...kinda.

Maou
1454th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 04:06:post reply

WAT?

Following the amazing success of FF Dissidia, it's...heywait, Dissidia didn't get canceled? Unusual tactic given that no one gives two damns about Dissidia, and Final Fantasy is leaps beyond any popularity Dracula has achieved in Japan of late. Usual tactic in that they've gotten yet another...questionable character designer in an attempt to get people to like the series. Has sort of that "no job too dirty"/"we're really desperate" feel to it with the annual designer changes...

On the other hand, red hair shorts Chronicles Simon by Kojima is AWESOME. I mean it.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 28 Jun 04:12]

sfried
179th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 05:08post reply

quote:
Ouch.

Dracula looks like a Golden Milking Machine, no question about it. "What is a man?" indeed.

HAYATO
873th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 06:00post reply

LOL, gayest Simon ever!!!! I must admit he looks kinda cool, but I still prefer the original Chronicles one (whose portrait IkariDC boldly posted before).

Also, Dracula looks terrible (in a wrong way), Maria seems to come straight from a brothel and Alucard... well, let's say I wouldn't like to go there, for obvious reasons...

From what other cafers point out about its gameplay, the game, albeit a bit simple for a VS fighter, could end up being quite entertaining. How sad that, from all the consoles on the market, the one which get the highest sales (and highest number of releases) is, ironically, the only prev-gen one...

Maou
1454th Post

"Re(4):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 06:18post reply

quote:
the one which get the highest sales (and highest number of releases) is, ironically, the only prev-gen one...

Heh, I look forward to staying in the 32-bit gen in perpetuity with DS.

Black_Hayato
216th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 28 Jun 08:12post reply

quote:
I... like what I see! It really looks like Obata is handling the designs. I like Simon's design! I'll have to blame Visual Kei for that, though. But anyways, he's just a stylish redesign of Castlevania Chronicles Simon, who by the way wears shorts too. Doesn't the original wear some too?

Alucard doesn't look quite right, I have to agree with that.

I think Chronicles/Judgement Simon's shorts is just used as a lesser evil to the original's barbarian underwear/skirt combo.

Also the art isn't too bad, just doesn't seem to translate into 3D very well. Or better to say Iga's castlevania team can't translate anything into 3D all that well. It was never their strong suit.

Satoshi_Miwa
2821th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Mon 30 Jun 13:07post reply

If this was a non Castlevania game I'd find these designs quite good. But for what's supposed to be a fan service game these designs are pretty darn horrible.

Besides, I think this will be like Soul Calibur Legends. It'd be better and cheaper if Iga just decided to make a new Castelvania using NES graphics.

Nekros
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Mon 30 Jun 17:21post reply

This game is not very promising at all. Obata draw the characters with too much interpretation...they don't fit the "gothic" style of the series. They look like a cross between emo and visual-k style, not definitely my kind of Castlevania image.
I call the UGLY Maria Obata version: is basically Misa Misa cosplaying some sailor moon-esque heroine...to to mention Simon, that has become a monstrous tranny thing....and Dracula, ugh! It resembles some rejected World Heroes design or some snk-ish cheapy boss (Zero, Goodman, etc).
Lame, really lame.

Mokona
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 00:07post reply

quote:
Besides, I think this will be like Soul Calibur Legends. It'd be better and cheaper if Iga just decided to make a new Castelvania using NES graphics.

Like that new megaman game with NES graphics they announced for the wiiware? (Anyone excited about that?)

Blah!

Iggy
8540th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 02:11post reply

quote:
(Anyone excited about that?)

Yes, in that other thread over there with Rockman or Megaman in the title.

Just a Person
1181th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 02:37post reply

quote:
Cons:
Character designs :( :( :( :(
(see for yourself...)

Simon and Dracula look okay, IMO. My problem is with Alucard (too cosplayish) and Maria (who looks like a loli-prostitute). But maybe they look better in action.

But this game doesn't take place in the official chronology, does it? I thought Simon was dead long before Maria was even born... If it's just a dream-match, here's hoping for Richter, Julius Belmont, Soma Cruz, Sonia Belmont (most underrated CV heroine ever) and Eric Lecarde!

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

TreIII
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 12:10post reply

This game screams "8ing".

And with Konami buying up the Takara/Tomy bunch recently, I could see them putting 8ing to work, doing a game like this.

Hell, 8ing possibly being behind it is probably the ONLY reason I'm actually willing to give this game a decent chance.

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Amakusa
765th Post

"Re(3):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 13:05post reply

My god... just why did they want to use the little girl version of Maria? The older Maria would've suited me fine, but they go and put this loli-trash in.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

TreIII
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 13:51post reply

quote:
My god... just why did they want to use the little girl version of Maria? The older Maria would've suited me fine, but they go and put this loli-trash in.

Probably because a) lil Maria is much more "iconic" than her older counter-part and b) She probably stands to be the only "loli" in this game.

I mean, unless they REALLY reach back and utilize some one like Carrie from the N64 game, there's only but so many little girls in the CV series that they can use. So they might as well go with the one that people have come to expect to fill that role, I guess.

And honestly, I could care less, as long as there would be at least a few "grown-ass" women to be had any way. Yoko, Charlotte and/or Sypha would be pretty obvious picks, but I would also give a hoot if "villainous females" like Elizabeth Bartley, Carmilla, the Succubus and/or the "twins" (as vampires) got in, as well.

Amakusa
766th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 14:08post reply

quote:

Probably because a) lil Maria is much more "iconic" than her older counter-part and b) She probably stands to be the only "loli" in this game.

I mean, unless they REALLY reach back and utilize some one like Carrie from the N64 game, there's only but so many little girls in the CV series that they can use. So they might as well go with the one that people have come to expect to fill that role, I guess.

I await the moment they announce Death so I can plan a way to cleave her in two.

Speaking of which, the game seems to be giving off a Soul Calibur vibe. And probably won't have any of the 'cleaving in two' action, either.

Iggy
8541th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 18:24post reply

quote:
Speaking of which, the game seems to be giving off a Soul Calibur vibe.

I think it will end up much closer to "Samurai Spirits Sen".

Grave
1080th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 1 Jul 18:36post reply

quote:
Hell, 8ing possibly being behind it is probably the ONLY reason I'm actually willing to give this game a decent chance.

If this were the case, I'd also be willing to give it a fair shot! I love the Gekitou Ninja Taisen games. However, until we know one way or another I will continue to mock it in the meantime!

Maese Spt
435th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 4 Jul 23:09post reply

I'm only looking forward for this because of the soundtrack. New Castlevania remixes are always welcome.

deisied
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Thu 10 Jul 13:39post reply

quote:
New Castlevania remixes are always welcome.
Except when they're the same boring Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears remixes in every single game.

Mosquiton
1730th Post

"Re(5):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 11 Jul 04:02post reply

I'm a fan of Obata's work in Death Note but what the hell is up with this design?

It looks like Obata told Light he was casting for Simon and asked him to put on 70 pounds of muscle. "You'll be showing a lot of skin."

Then Light mentioned he was always jealous of Mikami's haircut.

What the hell did he do to Alucard???

/ / /

Red Falcon
6030th Post

"Re(6):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sun 13 Jul 10:47post reply

Apparently the game will be more like Power Stones than an actual fighter, so whatever. Character designs are still abysmal. I was going to say that Konami had made some pretty decent fighters some time ago (Martial Champions and TMNT Tournament Fighters come to mind, even though the latter was probably made only to cash in on the Turtles' popularity it really is a pretty well made fighter) but none of that applies anymore, does it?

Ishmael
3216th Post

"Re(7):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 15 Jul 02:54post reply

I can understand the decision to re-design the characters since Kojima's elaborate outfits would be far too restrictive for the extensive movement needed in a fighting game. What I don't understand is why they decided to go with a fighting game at all. In some interview somewhere that I can't be bothered to find at the moment Iga stated that he wasn't going to do a straight Castlevania on the Wii since he felt constantly doing actual whipping would get tiresome. Fair enough. But why not take advantage of all the gameplay opportunities that the Wii offers? This could have been the moment when Castlevania would be re-invented in a way that even went beyond the changes that SotN brought. Instead they are releasing what looks to be a pedestrian fighter into a market filled with much better examples of the genre. The feeling that this is a wasted opportunity is what ultimately bugs me about this game.

TreIII
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 15 Jul 12:35post reply

It goes without a doubt that this is basically a "side thing".

However, I think it also goes without saying this is basically a thinly-veiled attempt to see if they can get the Japanese interested in the series again, for like the first time in a decade (they don't care for SOTN or the games like it, any more than they like Metroid).

The decision to go with Obata pretty much makes that notion clear: you want otaku to actually sit up and pay attention, you go with what's "in", and Obata's work definitely is in (thanks to Death Note).

And, for better or worse, it seems to be working. A number of JP Drac sites I haunt seem to actually seem to be liking the game, even as they continue to be "meh" about OoE (the newest DS game).

I'd like to hope that if this game does well, sequels will come, which will hopefully give IGA and co more to work with, as well as possibly more opportunities to take CV to more interesting avenues beyond just Castletroids all the damn time.

For instance...would it be too much to ask for a new Kid Dracula? ^_^

Iggy
8566th Post

"Re(9):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Tue 15 Jul 18:11post reply

quote:

I know: I can't wait for Castlevania: the movie: the game too !

Red Falcon
6036th Post

"Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Wed 16 Jul 11:53post reply

quote:
I know: I can't wait for Castlevania: the movie: the game too !

Ughh, this again. I don't have words for it. The script for Castlevania III movie is better, goat-fucking references and all. But both are pretty shitty. So everyone should enjoy a comedy classic to cheer up.

sfried
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Wed 16 Jul 18:36post reply

Ecclesia/Judgement footage

Sensenic
1634th Post

"The New Castlevanias" , posted Thu 17 Jul 19:01:post reply

quote:

And Official Trailer.
Definitely Saint Seiya Hades/power Stone style. Might be entertaining, quick silly fun.

Only those designs...
And look at that Alucard's super, with the bat wings... They really screwed him up. >.<

Current roster:
quote:

CONFIRMED FROM 1UP
Cornell (Legacy of Darkness)
Carmilla (Cv2,Circle of the moon/,Dracula X)
Trevor Belmont (Cv3, Curse of Darkness)
Sypha Belnades (Cv3)
Grant Dinesti/Denasty (Cv3)

CONFRIMED IN NP
Simon Belmont (Cv,Cv2, Chronicles, Cv4, Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle)
Alucard (Cv3, Symphony of The Night, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow)
Maria Renard (Dracula X, Rondo Of Blood, Symphony of The Night)
Dracula (All games, as 'Soma Cruz' Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow)
Shanoa (Order of Ecclesia)

HINTED BY IGN
Death (many)

They say in some Interview IGA mentions these 14 is all there is. Hope it's a lie and they're keeping some ace up their sleeves.
I demand at least an Eric Ricardo/Lecarde! For spear play, amd can't help but wonder how would Obata redesign him. A gun wielding character like Albus, Henry or... Soma with a gun would be fine too.

On the other hand... Ecclesia too.
Looks really good! Shanoa's powers seem to be really varied. I mean, there's even a "Geese Howard" attack glyph, for SNK's sake! (srsly, attack - reppuken, quick attack - double reppuken, special - Raising Storm.)

Guess who'll be the alternate character? ñ_n;

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Thu 17 Jul 19:18]

D`Cloud
230th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):The New Castlevanias" , posted Thu 17 Jul 21:04post reply

quote:

And Official Trailer.
Definitely Saint Seiya Hades/power Stone style. Might be entertaining, quick silly fun.

boy i hate the designs.

http://www.dustinuy.com

chazumaru
569th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Thu 17 Jul 23:49post reply

quote:

I'd like to hope that if this game does well, sequels will come, which will hopefully give IGA and co more to work with, as well as possibly more opportunities to take CV to more interesting avenues beyond just Castletroids all the damn time.

(The following comment is not an attack on the Vs fighting game specifically, as I have no opinion to share on that title.)

I would really prefer that Konami discharged IGA from the series. I cannot see what positive element he brought to the Castlevania franchise ever since he has been in charge. He is very comfortable with tweaking on the Metrovania recipe, but there was still a true gifted director (Hagihara) to lead the initial project back then. Whenever IGA tries to give his own impulse on the series, the result is intriguing at best and disappointing most of the time.

IGA's only unarguable impact - but I have no idea whether it is a positive one - is that he is the true soul behind the general scenaristic consitency of the games he produces, making sure his plots fit within a general storyline.

In regards to Castlevania's notoriety, legacy, themes and general identity (an action game with fantasy and adventure elements), the franchise still has an amazing selling potential compared to many other old Konami franchises (it would be very hard to produce million sellers nowadays with Gradius, Contra and Goemon). Konami is wasting time and a major opportunity with the IGA way.

Of course this point of view is mostly business-driven. But I am also convinced having more ambition in regards to how large of an audience Castlevania could reach, would also improve the next games' quality.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Time Mage
2698th Post

"Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 18 Jul 00:42post reply

quote:
And Official Trailer.

Wow, talk about a disappointment. I've officially lost most of the interest I had in this. It looks pretty crappy, in my opinion.

quote:
I would really prefer that Konami discharged IGA from the series.

I think I have to agree, or at least partially agree. The series have reached a pretty stale state, and even if every metroidvania is a fun game, they are repetitive, that's undeniable.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Ishmael
3221th Post

"Re(1):The New Castlevanias" , posted Fri 18 Jul 01:12post reply

quote:

On the other hand... Ecclesia too.
Looks really good! Shanoa's powers seem to be really varied. I mean, there's even a "Geese Howard" attack glyph, for SNK's sake! (srsly, attack - reppuken, quick attack - double reppuken, special - Raising Storm.)

Guess who'll be the alternate character? ñ_n;

Ooh, I like it! The one thing that I enjoyed about SotN that I haven't really felt in the later Metroidvanias is that if you knew what you were doing you could fill the screen with overwhelming amounts of power. If Shanoa is pulling off SNK boss moves there's a good chance you can configure her to have quite the punch.

badoor
37th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 18 Jul 01:57post reply

quote:

(The following comment is not an attack on the Vs fighting game specifically, as I have no opinion to share on that title.)

I would really prefer that Konami discharged IGA from the series. I cannot see what positive element he brought to the Castlevania franchise ever since he has been in charge. He is very comfortable with tweaking on the Metrovania recipe, but there was still a true gifted director (Hagihara) to lead the initial project back then. Whenever IGA tries to give his own impulse on the series, the result is intriguing at best and disappointing most of the time.

IGA's only unarguable impact - but I have no idea whether it is a positive one - is that he is the true soul behind the general scenaristic consitency of the games he produces, making sure his plots fit within a general storyline.

In regards to Castlevania's notoriety, legacy, themes and general identity (an action game with fantasy and adventure elements), the franchise still has an amazing selling potential compared to many other old Konami franchises (it would be very hard to produce million sellers nowadays with Gradius, Contra and Goemon). Konami is wasting time and a major opportunity with the IGA way.

Of course this point of view is mostly business-driven. But I am also convinced having more ambition in regards to how large of an audience Castlevania could reach, would also improve the next games' quality.

Wayforward, the ones who did contra 4, seems to be a good candidate. Then again, Contra 4 was just a good contra game that felt very much like the old SNES ones. They might probably just do another metroidvania, or maybe a classic castlevania.

Spoon
1595th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 18 Jul 11:10post reply

quote:

or maybe a classic castlevania.

This would be quite welcome.

Perhaps even a game which has intense action where I'm not going out of the way to try to create some challenge?

I like the large amount of Castlevania 3 representation in the game.

TreIII
140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 18 Jul 12:10post reply

quote:
Wow, talk about a disappointment. I've officially lost most of the interest I had in this. It looks pretty crappy, in my opinion.

Honestly, were you expecting much else? The IGN preview from last week basically stated that the game felt more like a Power Stone game than anything else.

Frankly, I think it looks a bit rough, but it could stand to be a fun game. Again, my main thing is that I hope that more "traditional" control schemes exist (GC/CC controllers, plz). Give me that, and that would be enough for me.

quote:
I would really prefer that Konami discharged IGA from the series.

If that were to happen, you would basically have to be ready to say good-bye to CV for good.

Like it or lump it, IGA is CV's main, or rather, ONLY champion. If it weren't for him staying with the franchise and keeping a small, rag-tag group of devs with him, CV likely would have died out years ago.

After all, it's not like Konami really needs the franchise; a series that basically only grosses like 100,000-200,000 units on a good day (and only in the States, at that) is small potatoes to a company who's basically the 4th largest publisher in Japan (right up there with Nintendo, Sega and Namco-Bandai). They would shed nary a "blood tear" if the CV franchise was buried, sad to say.

So again...the only way you're going to see CV continue, likely, is if IGA stays on board for as long as he can, or appoints a successor who's as passionate about the franchise as he is. Beyond that, the franchise wouldn't last long...

After all, it's not like other, deserving franchises haven't basically met similar "demises". Goemon/Mystical Ninja? KCEK KOBE and the original team who made the NES/SNES games have long since left the company a few years back(they're part of Good Feel, aka the guys working on Wario Land Shake, fyi). I doubt Konami is really all that hurt that there may not be any one to make a new Goemon game for them...

CHAZumaru
572th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Fri 18 Jul 15:34:post reply

I think you miss my point. I completely agree with you that Konami is not putting any effort in the series and that IGA's support might be the only reason we still see Castlevania games today. The problem is that leaving the series to IGA has led to a vicious circle; his management of the series is confining it to a stable but tiny group of fans. He tried to expand that group with questionable decisions that never worked so far, and effectively killed the series in Japan (Goemon DS actually sold more copies than both Castlevania DS is Japan, and Goemon DS was considered a dud in sales...). IGA has sealed the series into remaining a minor & unrelevant - but cheap & safe - franchise for Konami.

Now, my point is that the series has the potential to sell much more. Maybe Konami doesn't realize it or does not know how to pull this through, but we are talking about a male-oriented action/adventure game set in a popular fantasy world which takes its roots from popular Western culture, and a recognized name in the gaming industry. Had IGA not missed the 3D action boat completely with the questionable PS2 attempts, the series could very well be in the same league as Devil May Cry & Co. today.

Look at it this way: there has only been one Bionic Commando on NES, and that episode was a hit only in the US back then. There have been a few other versions and one Game Boy episode, OK, but I think we all agree the NES version is the only reason people even remember this game.

Yet, because of Capcom's much clever understanding of its' franchises potential and how to adress each series in a modern way (cf. how they saved Rockman with EXE), it is now pretty much a safe bet that the new Bionic Commando will surpass the next Castlevania's sales. Now I am not sure at all the game will be good, but the way they made it evolve is much more realistic in terms of how to approach the current mass market. What I am "complaining" about is that Konami has not been able to follow on the evolution of the general audience, and turned Castlevania into a niche series via IGA.

Once again, I realize this comment is very business-minded and that succeeding to make the series more successful would not necessarily help the series become more interesting. But now that the Metrovanias recipe has reached its saturation point, I am not sure it would hurt the franchise to try something more ambitious and aiming at more consumers.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by CHAZumaru on Fri 18 Jul 15:37]

Kikkoken
1161th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 19 Jul 06:08post reply

I would love a classic 2D Castlevania, pre-Iga style for the DS. For the Wii, I really wished the game had been a 3D adventure-action game with waggle. Neither Ecclesia nor Judgment will meet my needs, it seems. Maybe next time...

Mosquiton
1731th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 19 Jul 07:28post reply

So I played it... the Power Stone comparison would only hold up if there were more chaos going on in the stages. I think I saw one zombie shuffling in place who could have theoretically attacked someone if they stood still for five seconds.

The controls are very very simple, and the motion controls are rather pointless... there's no difference between moving the wiimote horizontal/vertical/anything.

Waggle is regular attack, b and waggle is power attack. Your super is any direction on the d-pad, and you either hit with it and do a large chunk of damage or whiff all-together. Shaking the nunchuck dodges. The sub-weapons seem very hard to hit with considering how quick everyone's 3D movement is.

At this point the game doesn't even measure up to your typical Bleach or Naruto fighter. They will need to do a lot of work to make this an enjoyable game.

/ / /

Grave
1103th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 19 Jul 08:47post reply

quote:
Waggle is regular attack, b and waggle is power attack. Your super is any direction on the d-pad, and you either hit with it and do a large chunk of damage or whiff all-together. Shaking the nunchuck dodges. The sub-weapons seem very hard to hit with considering how quick everyone's 3D movement is.

Ew. Bad designs aside, I really want this to be fun. This... doesn't sound promising.

TreIII
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 19 Jul 11:57post reply

quote:
So I played it... the Power Stone comparison would only hold up if there were more chaos going on in the stages.

They will need to do a lot of work to make this an enjoyable game.

I'm hoping, for their sakes, that they really just went with a "safe" build for the sake of the E3 demonstration, as opposed to over-whelming new players with too much crap going on the play area at once.

In the NP article, there were like several zombies on the screen at once. So I'd like to think that there would be plenty of chaos to be had by the final build...as well as not using Richter's voice samples from Re-Rondo for Simon. XD

quote:
I think you miss my point. I completely agree with you that Konami is not putting any effort in the series and that IGA's support might be the only reason we still see Castlevania games today. The problem is that leaving the series to IGA has led to a vicious circle...

Oh, don't worry, I got what you were saying, I was basically of the opinion that Konami doesn't really care about this franchise that much, they're not going to do much of anything to try and "restore its prominence". Or at least, not at this time.

The BEST that we can hope for, is that maybe Judgment actually is a decent game, which opens the hearts of Japanese fans, expanding the fanbase, and hopefully gives Konami the incentive to give IGA more funding, which may imply more interesting projects.

But that will have to remain to be seen...

quote:
Had IGA not missed the 3D action boat completely with the questionable PS2 attempts, the series could very well be in the same league as Devil May Cry & Co. today.

Eh, as much as it seems "right" to do so, I can't blame IGA alone for this. XD

Konami dropped the ball with 3D CV years before IGA took over totally, in CV64. The tragic story behind that game basically led to KCE Kobe putting out a rushed product that tanked, and it wasn't until LoD came out a year later did we get a better idea of what they really had in mind from the start (including adding in the 2 characters that got cut from the original CV64). And by then, it was largely too late.

Had a whole number of factors worked in their favor, Castlevania should have joined the likes of Mario and various others in the 3D arena years ago. But CV64's failure (and the DC game being killed in the womb) is what really led them to pursue this "nuthin' but Castletroids!" angle, because they know that those games at least sell. All the while, turning CV into a second-string franchise that would never be taken seriously again, as well as turning off the Japanese fanbase in one fell swoop (because they hate Metroid/SOTN-like games).

So...it may be popular to do so, but IGA isn't wholly to blame for the series' sad state. There's plenty of blood on Konami's hands, as well. XD

Red Falcon
6041th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 19 Jul 13:49post reply

quote:
At this point the game doesn't even measure up to your typical Bleach or Naruto fighter. They will need to do a lot of work to make this an enjoyable game.

Maybe this is one of those games that will end up being canned late in development. Who knows though, they may just put it out anyway because of the money spent on it (Cough, Fight for Life, cough)

chazumaru
572th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sat 19 Jul 21:28post reply

quote:
So...it may be popular to do so, but IGA isn't wholly to blame for the series' sad state. There's plenty of blood on Konami's hands, as well. XD

Yes, that is true. I wasn't (intentionally) blaming IGA for the whole thing anyway, Konami's management is clearly at fault here. I think IGA is trying his best and a rather amicable director, simply not the best one for the future of the series. It is a pretty good hypothesis that Castlevania 64 was the trigger for the series' downfall as a mainstream action game, especially given how the US market supported N64 more than any other territory.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Maou
1467th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Castlevania: Judgement" , posted Sun 20 Jul 12:36post reply

Poor IGA. If Konami would just give him all the money at once that he's gotten for all the crappy 3D Dracula games he's been repeatedly forced to make in recent years (clearly against his better judgment, I personally believe), he probably could have used it to make another magnificent, well-animated 2D extravaganza of the caliber of Nocturne/Symphony rather than merely competent portable knockoffs. Nocturne just blows me away to this day, and however great Minuet/Aria is for a portable Dracula, it's still just...a portable Dracula, and pale glimmer of the kind of follow-up a proper budget on a proper system could provide.

Iggy
8585th Post

"Dracula : The Arcade" , posted Thu 24 Jul 06:51post reply

As if Konami was reading this thread, they announced another new direction for the series : a cabinet.
Seems much, much better.

sfried
193th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Castlevania WiiWare?" , posted Fri 25 Jul 09:35post reply

Mr. Igavania himself says that WiiWare "[is]o ne of the areas that 2D can still be very strong at...I’m very much looking into that.”

"Hint-hint nudge-nudge" from him?

Shindekudasai
269th Post

Copper Customer

"New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Tue 23 Sep 12:30post reply

Who's ready to vomit? Eric Lecarde and Death

http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/forum_avatars/faces/shindekudasailastsupper.jpg [Image Attached]

sfried
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Tue 23 Sep 15:16:post reply

quote:

For a moment there, I thought that was the real Maria Renard...

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 23 Sep 16:18]

Amakusa
774th Post

"Re(2):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Tue 23 Sep 16:27post reply

quote:

I really hate this artist rendition.

Sensenic
1641th Post

"Re(2):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Tue 23 Sep 16:58post reply

quote:

Obataaaa!!

The only character whose design was improved in PoR and he had to go the other way and turn him into a shota...

And what's this "power of light and darkness" crap?
Couldn't they at least made him to have something to do with the original? So hard was it?

Well, *sigh* Official web updated with the new characters, including that new time-related Aeon guy.

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Just a Person
1220th Post

"Re(1):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Tue 23 Sep 20:16post reply

quote:

Eric so doesn't look like Eric Lecarde... no problem with his bishônen looks (he had it since the Sega Genesis game), but he looks like a kid. Since this game isn't following any chronology, adult Eric would be better.

Death looks like a Death Note shinigami. This isn't really a bad thing; not how I imagined Death, but an interesting look nevertheless.

As for Eric (and Maria... and Alucard...), well, maybe there are unlockable alternative costumes, so they can look like they used to be.

(BTW, is there already any screenshot of Shanoa in Castlevania Judgement? I know she is confirmed, but so far I haven't seen any picture of her in it)

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

EddyT
770th Post

"Re(2):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Tue 23 Sep 21:17post reply

Why even bring this game out?

*vomits on self*

Nekros
94th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Wed 24 Sep 00:52post reply

quote:

(BTW, is there already any screenshot of Shanoa in Castlevania Judgement? I know she is confirmed, but so far I haven't seen any picture of her in it)

Shanoa will be very similar to Raye Penper's fiancee (don't remember the name) with a gothic necklace, some ribbons on limbs and horrible emo-styled striped socks.
Believe.

Just a Person
1222th Post

"Re(3):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Wed 24 Sep 02:04post reply

quote:

Shanoa will be very similar to Raye Penper's fiancee (don't remember the name) with a gothic necklace, some ribbons on limbs and horrible emo-styled striped socks.
Believe.

Naomi Misora? Cool! Even though she only appeared at the beginning of Death Note, that woman was badass!

But Naomi doesn't fit with ribbons and striped socks...

Time Mage
2707th Post

"Re(1):New characters mangled, err revealed" , posted Wed 24 Sep 02:27post reply

quote:

Ugh... And to think I liked some of the early designs...

Shindekudasai
290th Post

Copper Customer

"But wait! There's more (infortunately...)" , posted Thu 9 Oct 12:29post reply

(links courtesy the Chapel of Resonance CV forums)

Shanoa

Golem & Carmilla

sfried
246th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):But wait! There's more (infortunately." , posted Thu 9 Oct 13:43post reply

quote:

Shanoa

Golem & Carmilla

They made Shanoa look like a nun...

Shindekudasai
293th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):But wait! There's more (infortunately." , posted Thu 9 Oct 14:19post reply

They sure did! I don't see the point of redesigning a character who's game hasn't even come out yet myself.

Nekros
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):But wait! There's more (infortunately." , posted Thu 9 Oct 21:59post reply

quote:

Shanoa

Golem & Carmilla
They made Shanoa look like a nun...

And Carmilla looks like a slut!

Really, Obata, what did you smoke!?

Shindekudasai
306th Post

Bronze Customer

"TGS video on main site" , posted Sat 11 Oct 02:53post reply

Click here, then on the yellow-bordered box

Okay, now I'm a little torn. Everyone moves okay, sounds okay, and CV tunes are always top notch, BUT .... (you know where this is heading)

I guess this is a game I wish I could play with my eyes closed. I still don't see why Kojima wasn't involved with this project. Not like she's busy with Ecclesia or anything.

Pollyanna
2570th Post

"Re(1):TGS video on main site" , posted Sat 11 Oct 06:50post reply

quote:

Okay, now I'm a little torn. Everyone moves okay, sounds okay, and CV tunes are always top notch, BUT .... (you know where this is heading)

I guess this is a game I wish I could play with my eyes closed. I still don't see why Kojima wasn't involved with this project. Not like she's busy with Ecclesia or anything.

I dunno, what little time I spent with the game really didn't impress me. It was like a mid/low-tier anime license game. Maybe some good will come of it if you play with friends, but it seemed so bland that it would only be fun if it was 4 player.

I don't dislike most of the designs from a design perspective and I think doing interesting/weird takes on the characters is a fun idea, but in some cases, I can't help but think that it's pointless to bring all your favorite characters together if they aren't going to be anything like the characters you love.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
249th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):TGS video on main site" , posted Sat 11 Oct 15:10post reply

quote:

Why does this game remind me more and more of Powerstone? I guess it just doesn't feel like Castlevania at all, but as it's own game...?

D`Cloud
240th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):TGS video on main site" , posted Sun 12 Oct 02:13post reply

why is the cast all girls?

argh! the designs... my eyes!!!

http://www.dustinuy.com

sfried
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):TGS video on main site" , posted Sun 12 Oct 03:08post reply

quote:
argh! the designs... my eyes!!!

I stil have problems with Maria mistreating her pet owl in this game.

Sensenic
1650th Post

"Re(2):TGS video on main site" , posted Sun 12 Oct 19:10post reply

quote:

I dunno, what little time I spent with the game really didn't impress me. It was like a mid/low-tier anime license game. Maybe some good will come of it if you play with friends, but it seemed so bland that it would only be fun if it was 4 player.

Unfortunately that's what it's been looking like since the beginning.
A rather mediocre game.

quote:

I don't dislike most of the designs from a design perspective and I think doing interesting/weird takes on the characters is a fun idea, but in some cases, I can't help but think that it's pointless to bring all your favorite characters together if they aren't going to be anything like the characters you love.

That's precisely the point. That and the fact I can't help these redesigns give me the feeling that, rather than letting Obata just give out his version, they look like marketing decisions, like they chose to turn every character into a commercial stereotype (this or Obata did really envision them this way... which doesn't say much in his favor):
Maria Renard has become ye olde Gothic Lolita, Eric a shota (for the yaoi fangirls perhaps? Wasn't it enough with him being a bishounen in the original game?), Death made into a Death Note shinigami...

Argh.

Not to be all around negative, though, some things I liked were the stages: They seem quite more faithful than the "main" games' ones, for starters!
Finally a 3D Iga game with a platforming clock tower stage! The traps in the dungeon and the ship stage are very reminiscent, too.

Finally I liked that Eric's super seems to be his screen-cleaning special from Bloodlines (balls of light spreading out).

...そして時は動き出す。

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Sensenic
1652th Post

"Re(3):TGS video on main site" , posted Wed 15 Oct 21:00post reply

Double post for stereotype fighting game slut and giant character designs uploaded on the main page, as well as some screens.

Well, at least golem, since it is a generic monster and its design changes a lot from time to time, is not as frustrating. And personally it doesn't look bad.

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Shindekudasai
317th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):TGS video on main site" , posted Thu 16 Oct 07:19post reply

My peeve with the Golem isn't how it looks, just the fact that CV has hundred of interesting monsters to use and they went with that ... thing. I'd rather have seen a redesigned Aluraune or Frozen Spectre or Succubus (who would have fit fine in the 'fighting slut' spot instead of Camilla, who I kind of saw as having more .. dignity). Hell, throw the players a bone and give them Slogra, Medusa, Skull Knight, Malachi, the zombie trio, Shimon/Simon Wraith ... so much they could have done, and we get a freakin' golem.

Pollyanna
2573th Post

"Re(3):TGS video on main site" , posted Thu 16 Oct 08:14post reply

quote:

That's precisely the point. That and the fact I can't help these redesigns give me the feeling that, rather than letting Obata just give out his version, they look like marketing decisions, like they chose to turn every character into a commercial stereotype (this or Obata did really envision them this way... which doesn't say much in his favor)

I didn't think of it that way. Maybe they were focused on making a "balanced fighting game cast"? Although given the way the game plays, that's really irrelevant. It was probably more like: kids aren't into the old designs, people like Obata, let's try something completely different. The fans on the other hand, will probably buy it either way.

As for the monsters, I think something with a better "history" would be nicer. Like the werewolf or Frankenstein. They're in so many games, and somehow I'm always happy to see them again. My choice would've been Persephone, of course, but she's not much like a monster, really.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Shindekudasai
318th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):TGS video on main site" , posted Thu 16 Oct 12:45post reply

Hey, I'm all for that. It's a design you basically can't possibly screw up, and he'd draw the craziest, most violent looking vacuum EVER.

Shindekudasai
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Fri 24 Oct 11:41post reply

http://www.chapelofresonance.com/forum/index.php/topic,1997.1260.html

Scroll down about halfway for Trevor's art and a few profiles. Except for the eyepatch, I'm not terribly offended by this design. A first for this game. Apparently the reason Eric's so young is because it's when he first aquires the Alucard Spear. Also, according to Aeon's profile, Galamoth is involved in all this. Perhaps he's the boss...?

Maou
1508th Post

"Re(1):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Fri 24 Oct 13:01post reply

quote:
Scroll down about halfway for Trevor's art and a few profiles. Except for the eyepatch, I'm not terribly offended by this design.

WHAT

Heheheh, that is so funny that I absolutely must not actually see the real image to spoil my own mental image. Ralph "OG" Belmont with an EYEPATCH?! They would have just let the scars show to be manly back in 1400 or whenever he's supposed to be.

sfried
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Fri 24 Oct 13:02post reply

quote:
http://www.chapelofresonance.com/forum/index.php/topic,1997.1260.html

Scroll down about halfway for Trevor's art and a few profiles. Except for the eyepatch, I'm not terribly offended by this design. A first for this game. Apparently the reason Eric's so young is because it's when he first aquires the Alucard Spear. Also, according to Aeon's profile, Galamoth is involved in all this. Perhaps he's the boss...?

He looks like a metrosexual ready for some S&M...

Just a Person
1245th Post

"Re(2):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Fri 24 Oct 21:17post reply

I don't get it... Trevor uses the Vampire Killer, and Simon uses the Vampire Killer in the same game?? How is that possible?? Unless Aeon brought one of them to a different timeline, it would be a serious mistake.

But it's nice to know that the characters are getting some background, some plot. I want to see the full story of it; it may turn out very interesting, after all.

Iggy
8707th Post

"Re(3):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Fri 24 Oct 23:22post reply

quote:
I don't get it... Trevor uses the Vampire Killer, and Simon uses the Vampire Killer in the same game?? How is that possible??

It's a dreammatch. How can Terry and Ryô appear the same age when AoF is supposed to happen 10 years before FF ? Because it's a dreammatch. How can Haomaru be in CvS which is supposed to happen in 2001? Because it's a dreammatch.

Just a Person
1247th Post

"Re(4):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Fri 24 Oct 23:37post reply

quote:
I don't get it... Trevor uses the Vampire Killer, and Simon uses the Vampire Killer in the same game?? How is that possible??
It's a dreammatch. How can Terry and Ryô appear the same age when AoF is supposed to happen 10 years before FF ? Because it's a dreammatch. How can Haomaru be in CvS which is supposed to happen in 2001? Because it's a dreammatch.

Sure, but even dream matches need some excuses when the game has a story (and Judgement seems to have one). King of Fighters kinda creates an alternative universe where Terry and Ryo are around the same age; I don't remember Haohmaru's excuse to be in CvS, but that game didn't really have a story (well, it had a tournament, but all the stories of the characters were only mentioned - and very briefly - in their endings).

Judgement has a story, and both Simon's and Trevor's profiles mention the Vampire Killer as a legendary weapon, so it has importance in the plot. Not only that, but they imply that the Vampire Killer is an historic weapon, not one that is reproduced, so there shouldn't be more than one Belmont carrying it. Unless there is some sort of explanation in the plot, other than "it's a dreammatch".

Olivier Hague
117th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Sat 25 Oct 00:07post reply

I... really don't see the problem.
I mean... Time-travel is involved. So where's the problem? Travel a few years back in time, and there are two of you. I'd think the same principle applies to whips, no matter how magical.

Maou
1509th Post

"Re(6):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Sat 25 Oct 00:19post reply

quote:
I mean... Time-travel is involved. So where's the problem? Travel a few years back in time, and there are two of you. I'd think the same principle applies to whips, no matter how magical.

Which reminds me, fall is a good season to be replaying Chrono Trigger. I should get on that.

The three time sages might have something to say about there being two of you...I seem to recall that game's time theory being that you only exist once, but can be deposited in various eras by time travel to live/progress at an ordinary length (remember leaving Robo in the past and picking him up in the future, which only he could do, being a nonliving being?). Er. Anyway.

Just a Person
1248th Post

"Re(6):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Sat 25 Oct 00:49post reply

quote:
I mean... Time-travel is involved.

Is it?

If it is, yes, the problem is solved. It's just that I don't remember reading that the characters were meeting in Judgement through time-travel.

Olivier Hague
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Sat 25 Oct 01:10post reply

Yes, time-travel is involved.
Besides, how else could Simon and Ralph coexist?

catalyst
439th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Trevor (Ralph) C. Belmont" , posted Sat 25 Oct 01:28post reply

quote:
Yes, time-travel is involved.
Besides, how else could Simon and Ralph coexist?

Yep, you even have a character Aeon dealing with the flow of time.

If that isn't time travel I don't know what is.

This song is so true

Shindekudasai
331th Post

Bronze Customer

"Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Cornell" , posted Wed 5 Nov 15:27post reply

http://flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/sets/72157608649105008/

Rumors abound of alternate outfits. I'll get back to you once I've confirmed it.

Shindekudasai
332th Post

Bronze Customer

"Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Cornell" , posted Wed 5 Nov 15:55post reply

IGN has a review and a bunch of videos: http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14262760.html

Cornell looks like a werewolf Wolverine, Grant is now a freaky ninja-mummy, and Sypha looks decent (if not entirely like herself). The game looks pretty good in motion though, and the English dub isn't entirely terrible. IGN mentions a 'Castle Mode' that has you exploring Castlevania and completing 'challenges' like getting a 5-hit combo or beating up zombies to unlock extra content, including accessories to customize your character outfits. Hopefully they'll have a robe for Death, barbarian outfit for Simon and long hair for Shanoa.

sfried
273th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Wed 5 Nov 16:15post reply

quote:
Hopefully they'll have a robe for Death, barbarian outfit for Simon and long hair for Shanoa.

Hopefully a Richter outfit for Simon, and Shanoa's traditional wear from Order of Ecclesia.

Just a Person
1255th Post

"Re(1):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Thu 6 Nov 00:59post reply

Sypha and Cornell look good (IGN even explains why Cornell is in his full werewolf-form), but Grant looks... weird. Very weird. What's up with those bandages and the androgynous face?

Well, despite some weird looks for some characters, overall I am interested in testing this game. It looks nice, and if there is more story than the brief bios published so far (maybe some CG scenes during the game), it can turn out very interesting. And if these alternate outfits announced include the original outfits for these characters (like Eric's Castlevania Bloodlines suit and maybe the SotN looks for Maria and Alucard), that will be great!

Spoon
1667th Post

"Re(2):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Thu 6 Nov 03:52post reply

quote:
the androgynous face?

Pirates are faaaaaaaaabulous?

I guess the whole business of Grant throwing knives, having a high+fast jump, and climbing on walls/ceilings made him a shoo-in for ninja.

But since they said that the game will have traps and things, what I really want to know is whether or not I'll be able to drop a clove of garlic that will hit Dracula a hojillion times a second and lock him in hitstun until the garlic runs out.

sfried
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Thu 6 Nov 06:03post reply

quote:
But since they said that the game will have traps and things, what I really want to know is whether or not I'll be able to drop a clove of garlic that will hit Dracula a hojillion times a second and lock him in hitstun until the garlic runs out.

Kinda like how Johnny throws coins in Guilty Gear XX, except it's Simon throwing cloves of garlic in a similar fashion? (Speaking of fashion, he actually would look just like him if given shades an a hat.)

Spoon
1668th Post

"Re(4):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Thu 6 Nov 09:32post reply

quote:
Kinda like how Johnny throws coins in Guilty Gear XX, except it's Simon throwing cloves of garlic in a similar fashion? (Speaking of fashion, he actually would look just like him if given shades an a hat.)

Nah, you can't throw the garlic. In Castlevania 2 the garlic just dropped straight down, as opposed to the holy water which arced forwards.

It'd be more like an omnipotent Millia disc.

Amakusa
778th Post

"Re(2):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Sun 9 Nov 02:47post reply

Thematically Cornell is actually a very good choice; I'm surprised they remembered he even existed.

sfried
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Mon 10 Nov 12:38post reply

quote:
Thematically Cornell is actually a very good choice; I'm surprised they remembered he even existed.

So by including Cronell, does that mean Castlevania 64 is now officially part of the canon?

Here's hoping Carrie Fernandez is a hidden character...
...on second though, with the way Obata dresses characters, I think one goth-loli is enough.

shindekudasai
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Mon 10 Nov 13:56post reply

From what I understand, as of Portrait of Ruin, all the KCEK games are canon once more with the exception of Legends. Iga said he absorbed several team members from there (including Circle of the Moon's director) into his team for Ecclesia.

Sensenic
1655th Post

"Re(5):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Mon 10 Nov 19:58post reply

quote:
So by including Cronell, does that mean Castlevania 64 is now officially part of the canon?

quote:
From what I understand, as of Portrait of Ruin, all the KCEK games are canon once more with the exception of Legends. Iga said he absorbed several team members from there (including Circle of the Moon's director) into his team for Ecclesia.

No, at least not as far as I know.

It's true that the KCEK team from the 64 games and CotM are working with him now (and you could really tell on PoRk's horribly plain castle design, clock tower notwithstanding). But that their games canon does not make.

IGA's official statement about those games AFAIK has always been that they were side-stories from the beginning.

Same as this one, BTW. I'm guessing (read: hoping) it won't add up to the already messed up enough Castlevania storyline.

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

shindekudasai
338th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Tue 11 Nov 13:05post reply

Well, I haven't seen it myself, but a CV board that I frequent mentioned a revised timeline that Iga and co. released with Portrait of Ruin, I think it was called the Akumajo Dracula Extreme Desktop Timeline or something? At any rate, a wallpaper that denoted when each game takes place and had each one except overlaps (CV1, CV4 and CV 68000/Chronicles for instance, or Rondo and X Chronicles) and Legends. I'll see if I can track down the image in question.

Sensenic
1656th Post

"Re(7):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Tue 11 Nov 18:41post reply

quote:
Well, I haven't seen it myself, but a CV board that I frequent mentioned a revised timeline that Iga and co. released with Portrait of Ruin, I think it was called the Akumajo Dracula Extreme Desktop Timeline or something? At any rate, a wallpaper that denoted when each game takes place and had each one except overlaps (CV1, CV4 and CV 68000/Chronicles for instance, or Rondo and X Chronicles) and Legends. I'll see if I can track down the image in question.

Checked a bit for myself and found that this Xtreme Desktop Timeline thing was Konami USA marketing stuff for Curse of Darkness (and in fact they seem to have abandoned the site ever since )

Current timeline on jap page, otherwise, still does not include those titles.

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

sfried
279th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Wed 12 Nov 02:43post reply

quote:
Current timeline on jap page, otherwise, still does not include those titles.

Odd, considering the next page features Ecclesia. I wonder if they're still sorting out the paradoxes with Judgement.

Sensenic
1658th Post

"Re(9):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Corn" , posted Wed 12 Nov 19:28post reply

quote:

Odd, considering the next page features Ecclesia. I wonder if they're still sorting out the paradoxes with Judgement.

No, no, it's not odd.

The first page is the castlevania plot chronology, which tells you when each game happened in the CV world (and therefore, which games are canon), along two simplified "Belmont clan"+"Dracula clan" genealogic trees of sorts.
This one still doesn't include Ecclesia (probably for spoiler reasons, I'm a-guessin').

(Funny how a fading bar comes out from Ralph/Trevor alone, BTW... Did he have some affair aside from his vampire hunter witch wife? )

The next pages, on the other hand, are the product chronology, with all Castlevania games that have come out so far (Ecclesia, the 2 64's, CotM and even the oh-so-viled-by-IGA Legends included), sorted by year of release.

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Maou
1520th Post

"Re(10):Roster complete: Grant, Sypha, and Cor" , posted Thu 13 Nov 10:50post reply

quote:

No, no, it's not odd.

The first page is the castlevania plot chronology, which tells you when each game happened in the CV world (and therefore, which games are canon), along two simplified "Belmont clan"+"Dracula clan" genealogic trees of sorts.
This one still doesn't include Ecclesia (probably for spoiler reasons, I'm a-guessin').

(Funny how a fading bar comes out from Ralph/Trevor alone, BTW... Did he have some affair aside from his vampire hunter witch wife? )

The next pages, on the other hand, are the product chronology, with all Castlevania games that have come out so far (Ecclesia, the 2 64's, CotM and even the oh-so-viled-by-IGA Legends included), sorted by year of release.

Hahahah, you know what's really wild: that pages says, "The series' first female protagonist fights using the new glyph system." Has IGA's brainwashing hit the PR department? I mean, storywise, he's eliminated poor Sonia Belmont, and Dark Night Prelude (Legends in the US, wasi it?) might be kind of weak, but it's difficult for this to be the series' first heroine when...she isn't.

sfried
285th Post

Copper Customer

"Re: New vids" , posted Tue 18 Nov 15:53:post reply

"Right on time. This moment was pre-ordained."

English trailer video with all of the characters revieled so far including footage of Cornell and Grant. Awsome remixes, btw.

Carmilla vs. Alucard
Trevor vs. Simon
Golem vs. Death

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 18 Nov 15:57]

Time Mage
2718th Post

"Re(1):Re: New vids" , posted Tue 18 Nov 21:21post reply

Stupid, stupid game luring me with its awesome music... ;_;

Toxico
4546th Post

"Re(2):Re: New vids" , posted Tue 18 Nov 23:19post reply

quote:

I wonder if this means that it's okay as long as you play with your eyes closed? it's almost like an adult game

悪魔の化身か地獄の使者か
リングで突然相手が消える!!

Dr Orochi
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Released" , posted Thu 20 Nov 07:01post reply

I just purchased it and have been playing it for the past few hours. It's fun and simple. There's a little bit of depth, not too much.

The Castle option is your basic mission style ordeal but I've had the most fun playing it honestly (besides fighting over wi-fi).

Without an in depth analysis I would say it's fun enough to rent and see if you'd like it. The $50 price tag seems a bit steep for what you get though.
The game lacks some of the most basic things most 3D fighters have. The horrid costumes are the only ones available. They just come in different colors. Throw out the notion of getting to play Alucard in his SOTN duds.

You can customize their appearance (with unlockable BS). So if you have fantasies of Belmonts wearing top hats and kaiser moutaches then you are in for a treat.

karasu99
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Released" , posted Thu 20 Nov 09:17post reply

quote:
You can customize their appearance (with unlockable BS). So if you have fantasies of Belmonts wearing top hats and kaiser moutaches then you are in for a treat.

And monocles??? Tell me there are monocles too!!

Ugh. I'm shedding a single tear. With any luck this will be ten dollars if I wait a month.

sfried
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re: New vids" , posted Sat 22 Nov 11:41post reply

quote:

Indeed.

And hey, it may not be as bad as we think...It's just...Obata making it look like Dracula Note, or Castlevania Just-as-planned...I just can't stand Grant looking like a Voldo-rip-off, or the Belmonts in bondage gear...

I guess this would've faired better if it didn't have "Castlevania" in the title.

Arngrim
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Castlevania Justasplanned" , posted Sun 23 Nov 00:43post reply

So the game is out and it isn't receiving any positive critics at all.

Besides Maria's boob complex, are there any other remarkable features?

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

sfried
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Castlevania Justasplanned" , posted Sun 23 Nov 04:37post reply

quote:

Shoryuken had some good impressions with it.

Tai-Pan
316th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Castlevania Justasplanned" , posted Sun 23 Nov 05:21post reply

quote:

At least the game doesn't try to be serious. I'd rather play this game than impressive SC4. I'm sorry even if I try I just can't stand that game.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maou
1526th Post

"Re(2):Castlevania Justasplanned" , posted Sun 23 Nov 06:38post reply

quote:

At least the game doesn't try to be serious. I'd rather play this game than impressive SC4. I'm sorry even if I try I just can't stand that game.

Don't worry, there is nothing wrong with you! It is based more on 3 than 2, you see. Much like a chocolate cake based more on rocks than cocoa, it is bound to be, even if there are fewer rocks this time.

Time Mage
2722th Post

"Re(2):Castlevania Justasplanned" , posted Sun 23 Nov 07:53post reply

quote:
Shoryuken had some good impressions with it.

Hm, I like what they say. It will probably not be even worth considering competitively, but if the story mode is fun, and somewhat long, I'll pick it up as a single player fighting game of sorts. Maybe my subconscious is trying to make an excuse to get it for the music, I don't know, but right now, I'm seriously considering buying it.