The Mega Man story...WTF? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (16262 Views )

Iron D
2893th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Sun 22 Jun 23:32post reply

So I'm browsing through Wikipedia trying to get an idea of the story of the Mega Man games, and now I'm just confused. The Wiki articles helped in that they told the story for each, but I'm still confused about some things.

1) So the story progression works like this: Classic Mega Man series, Mega Man X series, Mega Man Zero series, Mega Man...er...ZX series. Am I correct?

2) So is Mega Man X the original Mega Man upgraded, or a new robot entirely?

3) The Maverick virus of the Mega Man X games...that was created by Dr. Wily?

4) Is Mega Man X destroyed before the Mega Man Zero games? And am I to understand that there are clones of Mega Man X in the Zero universe?

5) Is this "Copy X" character related to Mega Man X somehow? Obviously I haven't played the Zero games, so I have no idea how this guy even looks.

6) So Zero himself isn't really even in the ZX games at all? It's just a couple of characters who...um...combine with some sort of metal to become some sort of being that looks like Zero?

7) When is Dr. Wily ultimately killed off, or is he ever definitively killed off?

8) And finally, the Legends and Battle Network games are part of an entirely different continuity, and have no storyline effect on the canon series (classis, X, Zero, ZX)?

I'm obviously not entirely up on my Mega Man lore, but this whole thing is confusing as all heck.

Er.....

Replies:

Mozex
345th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Mon 23 Jun 00:46post reply

quote:

3) The Maverick virus of the Mega Man X games...that was created by Dr. Wily?

I don't think it's ever blatantly stated, but there are allusions somewhere in X4-X6 that Zero and the Maverick virus were both created by Wily.

Be kind to goblins.

GPA
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Mon 23 Jun 01:51post reply

quote:

8) And finally, the Legends and Battle Network games are part of an entirely different continuity, and have no storyline effect on the canon series (classis, X, Zero, ZX)?

I'm obviously not entirely up on my Mega Man lore, but this whole thing is confusing as all heck.

I think in the latter part of the Zero series and in the ZX series, they made allusions to the Legends series being part of the original universe canon, it's just that it's like 1,000 years in the future (from ZX), or something.
Also, Capcom refuses to give an ending to any of the storylines so the story is for the most part largely incomplete...

CauseOfChaos
15th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Mon 23 Jun 03:17post reply

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

OK I've played most of them (MegaMan, X and Zero series), and will try to answer your questions...

1) Yep, thats the rough timeline, though Capcom have never stated that each series is set in the same universe / reality (though ZX is almost certainly in a different universe / reality)

2) MegaMan X is a completley different MegaMan, though was also built by Dr Light (again, possibly in a different reality)

3) This is a possibility - though Light and Wily will have been dead for a while

4) MegaMan X was not destroyed in the Zero games - he used his body to seal away an ancient threat and his soul has been wandering ever since (appears near the start of Zero)

5) Copy X is MegaMan's real body with an implanted soul by Dr. Weil (!?!)

6) Yep - it seems most likely that ZX is set in a different universe (no Zero or X, but has the Z metal and X metal)

7) A character (Dr. Wiel) closely resembles Dr. Wily both in appearence and in evilness makes an appearance in the Zero series, but meets his end in Zero 3 (if my memory serves me)

8) Legends is supposed to be set long after both Classic and X series, and the main character has nothing to so with either. The Battle Network games are definatley an alternate reality

Hope this helps, or if anyone can add / correct me, i'd be grateful"

cause_of_chaos

All one needs in life is Tea Sonic Super Robot Wars KOF and Pineapples

shin ramberk
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Mon 23 Jun 11:27post reply

The only thing I would add is that Capcom has left plenty of clues that connect all of the series together but have also been ambiguous enough so its up to you to interpret or believe they connect. I definitely feel that Megaman (classic), Megaman X, Megaman Zero and Megaman ZX are all interconnected.

Dr. Light created X and Dr. Wily created Zero. Zero kills Light and the original Megaman at one point and is then sealed away. Some point in the future of the X series, Zero is sealed away and X goes crazy because of all the fighting he has to do. Somehow X guides Zero in the Zero series (sort of like a spirit or something). I think Zero even has to fight a crazed copy of X at one point in the Zero series. The ZX series connects to the previous series' by having the kids use Zero and X material to turn into Megaman-type robots.

My information may not be 100% accurate but it gets to the gist of the storylines (I think). Like someone else has already mentioned, blame Capcom for not giving any series a concrete ending or concrete storylines.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

crazymike
1449th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Mon 23 Jun 11:40post reply

Personally i'd like to see Capcom pull a Turn-A-Gundam and make a game that combines characters and elements from all of the series into one just to confuse us more.

Iron D
2894th Post

"Re(4):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Mon 23 Jun 16:30post reply

Thanks for the input, guys! Things are a bit clearer now, so this thread did help. However, I'm still not completely clear on all of the story elements, but then again I didn't expect to be.

Er.....

Amakusa
762th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Tue 24 Jun 11:53post reply

quote:

Dr. Light created X and Dr. Wily created Zero. Zero kills Light and the original Megaman at one point and is then sealed away. Some point in the future of the X series, Zero is sealed away and X goes crazy because of all the fighting he has to do. Somehow X guides Zero in the Zero series (sort of like a spirit or something). I think Zero even has to fight a crazed copy of X at one point in the Zero series. The ZX series connects to the previous series' by having the kids use Zero and X material to turn into Megaman-type robots.

My information may not be 100% accurate but it gets to the gist of the storylines (I think).

The fates of the original series characters is best left ambiguous.

Dr. Light creates X, the first in a new generation of robot, and Dr. Wily in parallel creates Zero (both are shown having signs of getting ready to build their respective robots in the arcade game endings; in fact there's a silhouette of Zero in Bass/Forte's ending in the second game). Both are sealed by their creators and soon enough both Light and Wily die.

X is discovered by Dr. Cain, who is an archaeologist who finds Dr. Light's lab and creates a line of robots based on X. Of course, since Dr. Cain's field isn't into robotics, his understanding of Reploids is incomplete (that is to say the copies are never as good as the original). Maverick outbreaks begin, Dr. Cain makes the Maverick Hunters to quell uprisings.

Dr. Cain eventually creates Sigma to lead the Maverick Hunters. Sigma eventually tracks down the most powerful Maverick of the time, which turned out to be Zero. Sigma subdues Zero critically and becomes infected with a virus created by Dr. Wily that was meant to empower Zero. Sigma starts the Maverick Wars, X and Zero go fight him several times until Sigma somehow comes into contact with Dr. Wily (not specified how, but Wily's influence is definitely felt in a number of the games).

Sigma follows Wily's plan to restore Zero to his true form, the details of which vary depending on what you did during the game, which ends up with X fighting Zero in all cases (which echoes an earlier command Wily made to Zero). The two eventually settle their differences and bring down Sigma, but only X returns from the battle.

The game X6 features the mysterious return of Zero (he is fully recovered and doesn't know how) and he comes into contact with a Reploid with Dr. Wily's VA and is somehow really interested in Zero, but he in turn disappears when he is satisfied that Zero is the strongest robot.

X and Zero go on several more adventures (mostly the adventures they have with Axl, who is not important in the grand scheme of things) which ultimately lead up to the Elf Wars, which resulted in the corruption of the Mother Elf turning her into the Dark Elf by Dr. Weil, an evil human scientist. Dr. Weil created a super-robot called Omega, and in the final conflict Zero defeated Omega and disappeared. Dr. Weil was captured, had his mind removed and replaced inside a robotic armor that will ensure that he will never die, and exiled to a prison ship in space.

X leads the planet after the conclusion of the Elf Wars and builds Neo Arcadia, a utopia for Humans and Reploids. He also recruits four Reploids and makes them the Four Guardians of Neo Arcadia: Harpuia, Leviathan, Phantom, and Fefnir. At some point he seals the Dark Elf in his body at the center of Neo Arcadia. The leaders of Neo Arcadia, not wanting to go on without the savior of mankind, commission Ciel, a gifted scientist, to study X and create a copy (hereafter known as Copy X).

However, Copy X, while a perfect copy, turns out to be a naive and cruel ruler. When Neo Arcadia faces an energy crisis Copy X starts singling out Reploids as Mavericks and sends his armies and generals to annihilate them (even though they posed no threat). Ciel objected to this and rebelled, forming a Resistance while at the same time researching a way to solve the energy problems. She discovered and revived Zero in a forgotten lab, and Zero became the hero of the Resistance. Zero went on to defeat the Guardians and slew Copy X in Neo Arcadia.

Copy X's death was kept secret by Neo Arcadia (they spread word he was recovering) and Harpuia was made regent; Harpuia was notably much more reasonable with the Resistance. One of the Resistance leaders found the children of the Dark Elf and used them to barge his way to the center of Neo Arcadia, where the original X sealed the Dark Elf. X is destroyed to release the Dark Elf, which attracts the attention of Dr. Weil. Ceil eventually found a way to solve the energy problem.

Dr. Weil's prison ship crash lands on Earth, and Zero begins to battle an incomplete Omega until Copy X shows up-- having been rebuilt by Dr. Weil. Since Neo Arcadia hid X's death, Harpuia had no choice but to cede command. Copy X started harassing the Resistance again (but it was Dr. Weil who was truly in charge) and the Guardians rebelled. Zero kills Copy X and the Dark Elf's children, but the Dark Elf merges with Omega to create his ultimate form. Zero defeats Omega, only to discover that Omega is in fact the original Zero, and that Zero himself is only a copy. The Guardians arrive to help, the Dark Elf recovers from Dr. Weil's curse, and Zero ends up destroying his original body.

People start leaving Neo Arcadia in droves to avoid Dr. Weil's rule, and finally a Neo Arcadia officer goes to space station Ragnarok and destroys Neo Arcadia with a powerful weapon, intending to kill Dr. Weil and everything else in the city. The attack is successful, but Dr. Weil survived because of his regenerative armor. Dr. Weil fuses with the core of the Ragnarok station, transforming it into his body, and decides to drop it on Earth and cause another major disaster (with the caveat that Dr. Weil would survive re-entry, too), but Zero destroys the core and Ragnarok breaks up in the atmosphere, killing both Zero and Weil.

Pieces of the Ragnarok station are discovered to have a portion of the will of Dr. Weil (called Biometal Model W as it can enhance the power of the one who wields it), so Ceil gathers up the pieces and seals them away. From her studies of the Model W she creates six Biometals of her own: Models X, Z, H, P, L, F (based on X, Zero, Harpuia, Phantom, Leviathan, and Fefnir, respectively). Model W's servants Prometheus and Pandora seek to restore Model W's power and go around causing problems, leading to a boy or girl (you pick) to use the other Biometals to defeat Model W.

I haven't played ZXA, so I don't know what the story of that one is.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Iron D
2897th Post

"Re(4):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Tue 24 Jun 17:33post reply

quote:

My information may not be 100% accurate but it gets to the gist of the storylines (I think).

The fates of the original series characters is best left ambiguous.

Dr. Light creates X, the first in a new generation of robot, and Dr. Wily in parallel creates Zero (both are shown having signs of getting ready to build their respective robots in the arcade game endings; in fact there's a silhouette of Zero in Bass/Forte's ending in the second game). Both are sealed by their creators and soon enough both Light and Wily die.

X is discovered by Dr. Cain, who is an archaeologist who finds Dr. Light's lab and creates a line of robots based on X. Of course, since Dr. Cain's field isn't into robotics, his understanding of Reploids is incomplete (that is to say the copies are never as good as the original). Maverick outbreaks begin, Dr. Cain makes the Maverick Hunters to quell uprisings.

Dr. Cain eventually creates Sigma to lead the Maverick Hunters. Sigma eventually tracks down the most powerful Maverick of the time, which turned out to be Zero. Sigma subdues Zero critically and becomes infected with a virus created by Dr. Wily that was meant to empower Zero. Sigma starts the Maverick Wars, X and Zero go fight him several times until Sigma somehow comes into contact with Dr. Wily (not specified how, but Wily's influence is definitely felt in a number of the games).

Sigma follows Wily's plan to restore Zero to his true form, the details of which vary depending on what you did during the game, which ends up with X fighting Zero in all cases (which echoes an earlier command Wily made to Zero). The two eventually settle their differences and bring down Sigma, but only X returns from the battle.

The game X6 features the mysterious return of Zero (he is fully recovered and doesn't know how) and he comes into contact with a Reploid with Dr. Wily's VA and is somehow really interested in Zero, but he in turn disappears when he is satisfied that Zero is the strongest robot.

X and Zero go on several more adventures (mostly the adventures they have with Axl, who is not important in the grand scheme of things) which ultimately lead up to the Elf Wars, which resulted in the corruption of the Mother Elf turning her into the Dark Elf by Dr. Weil, an evil human scientist. Dr. Weil created a super-robot called Omega, and in the final conflict Zero defeated Omega and disappeared. Dr. Weil was captured, had his mind removed and replaced inside a robotic armor that will ensure that he will never die, and exiled to a prison ship in space.

X leads the planet after the conclusion of the Elf Wars and builds Neo Arcadia, a utopia for Humans and Reploids. He also recruits four Reploids and makes them the Four Guardians of Neo Arcadia: Harpuia, Leviathan, Phantom, and Fefnir. At some point he seals the Dark Elf in his body at the center of Neo Arcadia. The leaders of Neo Arcadia, not wanting to go on without the savior of mankind, commission Ciel, a gifted scientist, to study X and create a copy (hereafter known as Copy X).

However, Copy X, while a perfect copy, turns out to be a naive and cruel ruler. When Neo Arcadia faces an energy crisis Copy X starts singling out Reploids as Mavericks and sends his armies and generals to annihilate them (even though they posed no threat). Ciel objected to this and rebelled, forming a Resistance while at the same time researching a way to solve the energy problems. She discovered and revived Zero in a forgotten lab, and Zero became the hero of the Resistance. Zero went on to defeat the Guardians and slew Copy X in Neo Arcadia.

Copy X's death was kept secret by Neo Arcadia (they spread word he was recovering) and Harpuia was made regent; Harpuia was notably much more reasonable with the Resistance. One of the Resistance leaders found the children of the Dark Elf and used them to barge his way to the center of Neo Arcadia, where the original X sealed the Dark Elf. X is destroyed to release the Dark Elf, which attracts the attention of Dr. Weil. Ceil eventually found a way to solve the energy problem.

Dr. Weil's prison ship crash lands on Earth, and Zero begins to battle an incomplete Omega until Copy X shows up-- having been rebuilt by Dr. Weil. Since Neo Arcadia hid X's death, Harpuia had no choice but to cede command. Copy X started harassing the Resistance again (but it was Dr. Weil who was truly in charge) and the Guardians rebelled. Zero kills Copy X and the Dark Elf's children, but the Dark Elf merges with Omega to create his ultimate form. Zero defeats Omega, only to discover that Omega is in fact the original Zero, and that Zero himself is only a copy. The Guardians arrive to help, the Dark Elf recovers from Dr. Weil's curse, and Zero ends up destroying his original body.

People start leaving Neo Arcadia in droves to avoid Dr. Weil's rule, and finally a Neo Arcadia officer goes to space station Ragnarok and destroys Neo Arcadia with a powerful weapon, intending to kill Dr. Weil and everything else in the city. The attack is successful, but Dr. Weil survived because of his regenerative armor. Dr. Weil fuses with the core of the Ragnarok station, transforming it into his body, and decides to drop it on Earth and cause another major disaster (with the caveat that Dr. Weil would survive re-entry, too), but Zero destroys the core and Ragnarok breaks up in the atmosphere, killing both Zero and Weil.

Pieces of the Ragnarok station are discovered to have a portion of the will of Dr. Weil (called Biometal Model W as it can enhance the power of the one who wields it), so Ceil gathers up the pieces and seals them away. From her studies of the Model W she creates six Biometals of her own: Models X, Z, H, P, L, F (based on X, Zero, Harpuia, Phantom, Leviathan, and Fefnir, respectively). Model W's servants Prometheus and Pandora seek to restore Model W's power and go around causing problems, leading to a boy or girl (you pick) to use the other Biometals to defeat Model W.

Wow. That's a pretty complete rundown. Thanks for all that.

Er.....

RSJ
784th Post

"Re(4):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Wed 25 Jun 10:07post reply

quote:
Sigma eventually tracks down the most powerful Maverick of the time, which turned out to be Zero.

quote:
Zero defeats Omega, only to discover that Omega is in fact the original Zero, and that Zero himself is only a copy. The Guardians arrive to help, the Dark Elf recovers from Dr. Weil's curse, and Zero ends up destroying his original body.

Are you saying that the Megaman X series Zero was actually a reploid the whole time and that the Original Zero in Rockman Zero series is the one Wily built himself, or... ?

Amakusa
764th Post

"Re(5):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Wed 25 Jun 11:48:post reply

quote:

Are you saying that the Megaman X series Zero was actually a reploid the whole time and that the Original Zero in Rockman Zero series is the one Wily built himself, or... ?

Nobody knows when Zero was copied, or how, but popular theory says it happened between X5 and X6 when Zero miraculously turns up fine (assuming that Omega was always the original Zero, that would mean the Zero from X6 onward is a copy).

Omega as he appeared in the Zero series is the Zero that Wily built, according to Dr. Weil. Perhaps, in a way, the Zero that Wily meant to create. In any case Dr. Weil knew a helluva lot about Zero, inside and out, so there's no doubt that he's the one responsible for the copied Zero (some people had wild theories as to why Weil knows so much, but I chalk it up to being just that good; Ciel the same way to X). I don't remember if he actually explained the reason for a copied Zero, though.

When Megaman Zero was made it was concurrently developed alongside Megaman X6, so the story as presented in Megaman Zero didn't make a lot of sense as a follow-up to X6 (it was in fact meant to be a follow-up to X5-- the point where Zero disappears in this game was to correlate with his appearance in Megaman Zero). So for the successive Zero games the storyline was adjusted to accomodate for the fact that Zero was running around during the period between X5 and Zero.

The copied issue is kind of weird, and even a bit unfulfilling, but fortunately Omega sufficiently fulfilled his role as the God of Destruction Zero was meant to be when Dr. Wily created him. The whole affair with the Reploid in X6 (I think his name is Isoc) who was more or less Dr. Wily in everything but name was, I felt, Wily finally letting Zero go his own way (as in all successive games Wily's influence is never felt again). With the whole way the Zero series turned out, I'd imagine Wily would be proud his creation surpassed his nemesis.

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Wed 25 Jun 11:50]

Maou
1449th Post

"Re(6):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Wed 25 Jun 13:07post reply

Ooof. I remember when platform games didn't need to take their stories quite so seriously. I mean, I loved when little "story bits" were added to connect the different locations in Sonic 3 and whatnot, but... What I'm really saying is that it's really Dr. Wily underneath Vava/Vile's helmet.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Codeblues
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Thu 26 Jun 07:49post reply

quote:

I'm only partly through ZXA but it seems to be about Axl with the human transforming into Model A.

Baines
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Thu 26 Jun 12:21post reply

quote:
Ooof. I remember when platform games didn't need to take their stories quite so seriously.

It only becomes a mess because Capcom kept making so many spin-off series. More so because they wanted to keep recycling the same characters, positions, and situations across these different series, but at the same time wanted only loose (and often vague) connections between these series.

It isn't really that they took the story too seriously. After all, if they'd taken it more seriously, then it might have been in better shape by this point.

Maou
1452th Post

"Re(8):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Thu 26 Jun 12:25post reply

quote:
After all, if they'd taken it more seriously, then it might have been in better shape by this point.

Heh, true, but I'd just keep it out all together rather than go insane and sloppy. Even the shift to X way back when was a major thing, with a lot of backstory to talk about Cain and Repliroids all that, which was more than enough, so seeing Rockman flooded with the same insane thirst for story that all oldschool platformers seem to feel they need nowadays is a bit much to my tastes. Sonic vs. Eggman and Rockman vs. Wily/Sigma/etc. will do just fine without crazy X clones and sealing up of ancient evils inside of the real/false X all while Zero decides to....wait wha?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iron D
2903th Post

"Re(9):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Thu 26 Jun 16:48post reply

quote:
After all, if they'd taken it more seriously, then it might have been in better shape by this point.
Heh, true, but I'd just keep it out all together rather than go insane and sloppy. Even the shift to X way back when was a major thing, with a lot of backstory to talk about Cain and Repliroids all that, which was more than enough, so seeing Rockman flooded with the same insane thirst for story that all oldschool platformers seem to feel they need nowadays is a bit much to my tastes. Sonic vs. Eggman and Rockman vs. Wily/Sigma/etc. will do just fine without crazy X clones and sealing up of ancient evils inside of the real/false X all while Zero decides to....wait wha?

Yeah, sometimes a simple approach is best. I remember playing through Sonic 3 and hating Knuckles' guts because he was always laughing derisively at me and coming up with annoying ways to impede my progress. Then comes Sonic & Knuckles and I see the short scene where Robotnik turns on Knuckles and tazes him and all of a sudden I was so sympathetic to him. And that was about as much storyline as the Sonic games had up to the point. Nothing complex, just a few seconds worth of non-playable interaction between characters, and I was set.

Then again, I was 11 and 12 during that period, so maybe I was just easier to please.

Er.....

Amakusa
764th Post

"Re(7):The Mega Man story...WTF?" , posted Fri 27 Jun 05:52post reply

quote:
Ooof. I remember when platform games didn't need to take their stories quite so seriously. I mean, I loved when little "story bits" were added to connect the different locations in Sonic 3 and whatnot, but... What I'm really saying is that it's really Dr. Wily underneath Vava/Vile's helmet.

To be honest I liked the earlier Mega Man games far more than the current ones. Generally the original series, the X series, and maybe the Zero series (although I did get sick of the Zero series toward the end-- it started out okay and then it started floundering fast). There's a certain charm to having a blue robot with a big cannon for an arm that blows up robots like nobody's business without injecting all sorts of extraneous garbage into it.

I miss the days when all it really took was Beat Boss with weapon A and get weapon B. These days, though, it doesn't seem to be enough or you're criticized as lacking complexity.

There was a poll a few days ago on GameFAQs about who your favorite Mega Man (the character, not the series) is, and surprisingly enough the original Mega Mana and X got the most votes, so I suspect there's no shortage of people that feel the same way.

Iggy
8532th Post

"STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 07:58post reply

So, thank you Capcom for not giving any real end to the first (and unarguably, at least not before me, best) series.
Oh god oh god oh god.

http://img186.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=07465_1_122_545lo.jpg

http://img182.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=07471_2_122_370lo.jpg

http://img231.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=07487_3_122_567lo.jpg

Megane
431th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 11:47post reply

quote:
So, thank you Capcom for not giving any real end to the first (and unarguably, at least not before me, best) series.
Oh god oh god oh god.

Yes

Italics

GekigangerV
1570th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 12:17post reply

That's a damn nice use of Wii Ware right there. I would have preferred 16-bit style graphics though. I guess they are just going to grab bag a bunch of textures and backgrounds from previous NES Rockman games to expedite the development. Hopefully the bosses are great.

I would love to see more companies do original 8/16-bit games for Wii Ware. It would be hilarious if Capcom's Wii SF4 was the SNES SSFII with the 5 new characters added in.

Tai-Pan
242th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 12:41post reply

quote:
Oh god oh god oh god.

Good news indeed!!

I'm a little bit lost. Is Wii Ware a set of development tools used to create simple games? Or is it just a platform to distribute whatever a developer feels like creating?

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Iron D
2905th Post

"Re(1):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 12:45post reply

quote:
Oh god oh god oh god.

That's...pretty freakin' cool, actually.

Er.....

Sensenic
1623th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 18:04post reply

quote:
Oh god oh god oh god.

Wow!
A really unexpected move.

But I wonder... Maybe gonna get bashed for this but... Couldn't they actually improve the game technically? One thing is appealing to nostalgia and the other is being rather lazy about it.

Of course this would have raised the game's cost and I'm guessing one of the reasons Capcom might have given the go ahead is to make quick money with a rather low-cost product.
But dunno, maybe if they pulled an "Akumajo Dracula" remake, like SNES' or X68000's: same ol' game mechanics, all-around beautiful new presentation...
Then again, I've already seen comments saying how the 16-bit look of MegaMan 7 & 8 ruined its essence blahblah.

But I dunno, it still just sounds too much "easy money" to me.

BTW, "Splash Woman"... a she-Robot Master! Sounds kinda like Terminatrix, what with robots having gender. XD

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

Shindekudasai
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 18:21post reply

What, you never watched Transformers or Austin Powers?

Toxico
4414th Post

"Re(3):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Fri 27 Jun 21:45post reply

quote:
What, you never watched Transformers or Austin Powers?

The memories....

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

RSJ
785th Post

"Re(1):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Sat 28 Jun 11:08post reply

quote:
Oh god oh god oh god.

An interesting turn of events indeed...

IkariDC
738th Post

"Re(2):STOP THE PRESS : ROCKMAN 9" , posted Sat 28 Jun 19:37post reply

quote:
Oh god oh god oh god.

Wow!
A really unexpected move.

But I wonder... Maybe gonna get bashed for this but... Couldn't they actually improve the game technically? One thing is appealing to nostalgia and the other is being rather lazy about it.

Of course this would have raised the game's cost and I'm guessing one of the reasons Capcom might have given the go ahead is to make quick money with a rather low-cost product.
But dunno, maybe if they pulled an "Akumajo Dracula" remake, like SNES' or X68000's: same ol' game mechanics, all-around beautiful new presentation...
Then again, I've already seen comments saying how the 16-bit look of MegaMan 7 & 8 ruined its essence blahblah.

But I dunno, it still just sounds too much "easy money" to me.

BTW, "Splash Woman"... a she-Robot Master! Sounds kinda like Terminatrix, what with robots having gender. XD

The point is, as Inafune explained, that people still is fond of the original series in the famicom, people still play them. Also it's Rockman's 20th anniversary, so they're doing it as a treat to the fans. Inafune said Rockman 2 it's still the most popular with the fans (I agree) and that they want to surpass it.

So, as cheap as it seems it is, it makes sense.