Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4473 Views )

Gojira
2378th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood" , posted Sat 7 Jun 22:17:post reply

New thread, now 20% more burning than the last.

Fairly sizable preview by 1up

Edited Youtube version (if you prefer just footage without the circle jerking)

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 7 Jun 22:17]

Replies:

Iron D
2884th Post

"Re(1):Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood" , posted Sat 7 Jun 23:26post reply

quote:
New thread, now 20% more burning than the last.

Fairly sizable preview by 1up

Edited Youtube version (if you prefer just footage without the circle jerking)

Soul charging is out? I say good riddance. I almost never used it anyway, except maybe when I had a weapon that got a bonus from SCing.

Still don't really care too much one way or the other about the finishers though.

Er.....

HARO
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood" , posted Sun 8 Jun 00:08post reply

omg circle jerking.

These are the people they have reviewing the game?

... they don't deserve the privilege.

it's just... GOD... they are TERRIBLE player...

1 more month. lol.

Maou
1443th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood" , posted Sun 8 Jun 01:00post reply

quote:
Soul charging is out? I say good riddance. I almost never used it anyway, except maybe when I had a weapon that got a bonus from SCing.
Nooooooooo. Seriously? The charge may have been ruined in 3, like everything else, but it was super-strategic in 2 given how quickly it could be done. The sheer number of moves that could made into firey unblockables with a full charge was crucial...so if you were Nightmare (and I was), you'd use your range game to keep people away, attempt to full charge now and again, rush with an invincible Rook Splitter...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

hikarutilmitt
460th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood" , posted Sun 8 Jun 07:16post reply

quote:
Soul charging is out? I say good riddance. I almost never used it anyway, except maybe when I had a weapon that got a bonus from SCing. Nooooooooo. Seriously? The charge may have been ruined in 3, like everything else, but it was super-strategic in 2 given how quickly it could be done. The sheer number of moves that could made into firey unblockables with a full charge was crucial...so if you were Nightmare (and I was), you'd use your range game to keep people away, attempt to full charge now and again, rush with an invincible Rook Splitter...

The way I see it, that's exactly what made SC2 that much less fun to play. It's like playing Street Fighter against people who have no better strategy than to jam MP the whole time to build meter then unleash a super. :\

Maou
1444th Post

"Re(4):Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood" , posted Sun 8 Jun 08:08post reply

quote:
Soul charging is out? I say good riddance. I almost never used it anyway, except maybe when I had a weapon that got a bonus from SCing. Nooooooooo. Seriously? The charge may have been ruined in 3, like everything else, but it was super-strategic in 2 given how quickly it could be done. The sheer number of moves that could made into firey unblockables with a full charge was crucial...so if you were Nightmare (and I was), you'd use your range game to keep people away, attempt to full charge now and again, rush with an invincible Rook Splitter...

The way I see it, that's exactly what made SC2 that much less fun to play. It's like playing Street Fighter against people who have no better strategy than to jam MP the whole time to build meter then unleash a super. :\

Nah, the thing was, you had to be good to know when to charge or else you just got slugged, seeing as how level 1 and level 2 charges were basically pointless. Topping it off is the fact that the firey invicibles were still guard impact-able, so it was a fun twist to keep you on your toes.

Gojira
2378th Post

"Re(5):Soul Calibur 4 BURNS wood" , posted Sun 8 Jun 17:09post reply

Well, in various versions of SC2, soul charge was either broken or really, really good for certain characters, especially soul charge cancels. In SC3 they messed with it so much that hardly anyone had a use for it except for a very small number. Actually it seemed to me they had no idea what to do with it anymore, so I'm not surprised to see it gone.

There's speculation that the soul gauge might have something similar to soul charge effects when it changes colors, but nobody knows for sure yet.

shipoopi

Mosquiton
1726th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Guard impact" , posted Tue 10 Jun 09:03post reply

Something I find odd about the game is performing a GI actually brings the attacking character to the ground.

This does away with the 2G bug but there's really no way to follow up, you simply stop the attack. Would seem like a good time to do a soul charge, if they were still in the game.

Then again I haven't played too much, so there could be things I'm missing.

/ / /

Iron D
2885th Post

"Re(1):Guard impact" , posted Tue 10 Jun 20:04post reply

quote:
Something I find odd about the game is performing a GI actually brings the attacking character to the ground.

It is my understanding that only back GIs knock a character down.

Er.....

Mosquiton
1728th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Guard impact" , posted Wed 11 Jun 05:58post reply

quote:

That would be pretty sensical. Maybe I'll get a chance to play again...

/ / /

Gojira
2381th Post

"Re(3):Guard impact" , posted Wed 11 Jun 07:35post reply

quote:

That would be pretty sensical. Maybe I'll get a chance to play again...

There's also the possibility that the knockdown parry only happens if you input it at the right time, otherwise you just get normal parry. Sort of like the way the red GI worked in SC3.

shipoopi

Iron D
2887th Post

"Re(4):Guard impact" , posted Wed 11 Jun 16:38post reply

quote:

There's also the possibility that the knockdown parry only happens if you input it at the right time, otherwise you just get normal parry. Sort of like the way the red GI worked in SC3.

Er...that's not the case. The guys in the preview explicitly said that back parries and only back parries knock down now. They then went on to mention that they don't think it'll be that effective a tool since the person being GI'd can still get up quickly with the right timing. In this situation the person that got GI'd would recover quicker than the person doing the GI.

Er.....

E5150
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Guard impact" , posted Tue 8 Jul 00:34post reply

Kamikirimusi?

Nate
940th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Guard impact" , posted Tue 8 Jul 01:58post reply

quote:
Kamikirimusi?

Yay more ugly girls!

Good thing she has a kinda neat weapon even with that horrible, horrible name and design.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Gojira
2402th Post

"Re(7):Guard impact" , posted Tue 8 Jul 02:04post reply

quote:
Kamikirimusi?

Yeah, from the Mai-HiME character designer. That's a nasty pedicure.

BTW it's rumored that bonus characters use default character movesets in SC4. They're basically creation templates with unique models. So the only confirmed new characters so far are Hilde, Algol, Vader, Yoda and STARKILLERRRRRrrrrrrRRrrrRrr. Rrrr.

shipoopi

E5150
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Guard impact" , posted Tue 8 Jul 04:11post reply

quote:
Kamikirimusi?

Yeah, from the Mai-HiME character designer. That's a nasty pedicure.

BTW it's rumored that bonus characters use default character movesets in SC4. They're basically creation templates with unique models. So the only confirmed new characters so far are Hilde, Algol, Vader, Yoda and STARKILLERRRRRrrrrrrRRrrrRrr. Rrrr.

I've heard so too, but i doubt it.
For example it's said Shura is a skin of Cervantes, but i'm pretty sure she won't have pistols in her katanas.

Gojira
2409th Post

"BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Tue 15 Jul 07:43:post reply

Big pics. Some vids too.

Of particular note is Setsuka's 2P outfit, which is, for lack of a better term, supercalafragalisticexpialadocious.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Tue 15 Jul 07:47]

Nate
944th Post

"Re(1):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Tue 15 Jul 21:47post reply

quote:
Big pics. Some vids too.

Of particular note is Setsuka's 2P outfit, which is, for lack of a better term, supercalafragalisticexpialadocious.

THAT IS AWESOME. I know I will be playing as fancy frilly Setsuka quite often.

Ishmael
3218th Post

"Re(2):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Tue 15 Jul 22:25post reply

Setsuka's 2P outfit made my day.

Iggy
8568th Post

"Re(3):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Tue 15 Jul 22:40post reply

Surprisingly, Ivy's 2P outfit is rather nice as well. New haircut and clothes to hide her hideous ass (and to a lesser extend, the boobs).
Yoshimitsu looks like... some strange creature without any resemblance with Yoshimitsu, which makes him look in turn very like Yoshimitsu.
If Voldo's outfit looks good, I may very well be sold.

Gojira
2411th Post

"Re(4):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Wed 16 Jul 07:18post reply

Even if you don't like the costumes, it seems that you can customize them? Though it's hard to tell if that's really Ivy customized or just a CAS with her moves and her name.

shipoopi

Ishmael
3233th Post

"Re(5):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Mon 28 Jul 04:37post reply

Some YouTube of Darth Vader fighting Yoda.

sfried
194th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Mon 28 Jul 23:02post reply

quote:

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Association of Copyright for Computer Software"
Boo!

Gojira
2413th Post

"Re(7):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Tue 29 Jul 09:39post reply

quote:

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Association of Copyright for Computer Software"
Boo!

Yeah, Namdai's being very tight about the youtube vids. A lot of them go down 5 minutes after they're up. But the game comes out tomorrow so unless the ACCS is a bunch of complete jerks they should stop with the tomfoolery by then.

shipoopi

Nate
949th Post

"Re(8):BIG PICS FROM FRANCE" , posted Wed 30 Jul 00:04post reply

I just want Tira to be good this time around.

It looks like she's vastly improved, at least. Less recovery time spent swinging her weapon around back to neutral after she attacks, which is good. Please be good in this game, Tira.

Iron D
2937th Post

"Anyone got it yet?" , posted Thu 31 Jul 06:50post reply

I don't own a PS3 or 360 so I won't get a chance to play it until I visit my buddies, but I have heard that the game has SF2-esque music changes to intensify the atmosphere once a character is low on life. Can anyone confirm this?

Er.....

Mozex
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Thu 31 Jul 10:08post reply

My roommate picked it up. It's fun. It seems a bunch of the crappy characters from 3 were brought up a bit.

Yoda is stupid.

Be kind to goblins.

Seija
3159th Post

"Uh..." , posted Thu 31 Jul 12:13:post reply

I have the game. Yes, I know about the guest artists placing in their characters and I know that the "Star Wars" characters are here. Unfortunately, this game carries the flaws of both "II" and "III" as well as flaws I don't need to have added on.

In regards of "II's" flaws or flaw rather, it is another gimmick game. Having Yoda and the other "Star Wars" characters makes the game feel more weirder than what I wanted it to be. Really, I would have been more gung ho about a "Star Wars" fighting game from N-B. If Konami can make a decent fighting game with a popular American series, so can N-B.

For "III's" flaws, the move lists have more of "III's" feel. A big reason why I hated "III" was and still is the amount of changes in the move lists. You can customize characters here, but you still don't get the flexibilty you want. I don't think I will ever be able to make Ellis. (You can make Tracy, but have her with Talim's move set? That makes it feel kind of silly, don't you think?)

"IV's" story mode is way too short. You choose between Normal and Hard, but really, it feels like Easy and Hard. Arcade mode feels harder and I will never know why. I love Soul Charges and I am disgusted that they are no longer here. I don't like the voice changes at all either. The game is probably more of a fanservice game than a "Dead or Alive" game because if you penetrate through your opponent enough, you can see their under garments, which can be pretty disturbing. This game feels more like a jigsaw puzzle than a video game, which is not a good thing, and since I mentioned puzzles, the addition of a grading system really is a puzzle to me. On a side note, when you do an X-hit combo, it is shown as "X Combos".

You can play against people online. I'll give it that. Too bad I rarely do this. Also, it has a better side quest than the tactic one, but I don't like it either. Hilde seems like an interesting character, but I'm having a hard time playing as her and it doesn't help either that the number of new characters here doesn't make up for the wait. At least most of the useless characters in "III" are gone.

Is it worse than "III"? I personally say so. Of course, this is just me. I swear. There needs to be a "Battle Arena Toushinden V" now.

quote:
I have heard that the game has SF2-esque music changes to intensify the atmosphere once a character is low on life. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't remember this? I'll have to check.

にょにょにょ。

[this message was edited by Seija on Thu 31 Jul 12:22]

Undead Fred
2980th Post

"Re(2):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Thu 31 Jul 13:54post reply

quote:
My roommate picked it up. It's fun. It seems a bunch of the crappy characters from 3 were brought up a bit.

Yoda is stupid.

Yeah, I'd prefer having Darth Vader over Yoda, and Yoda's pretty clunky to me... And yeah, the music does change when you're low on life. That was pretty cool.

Having skipped 3, I have no idea how much better those new characters are since I never played with them when they were introduced... Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. I don't know if hardcore SC players will hate the game or not, though.

Seija
3159th Post

"Re(3):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Thu 31 Jul 14:05post reply

quote:
Yeah, I'd prefer having Darth Vader over Yoda, and Yoda's pretty clunky to me... And yeah, the music does change when you're low on life. That was pretty cool.

Having skipped 3, I have no idea how much better those new characters are since I never played with them when they were introduced... Overall, I'm really enjoying the game. I don't know if hardcore SC players will hate the game or not, though.

I forgot to mention something. There are no input interactions. So, if you like those, unfortunately, you will be disappointed.

にょにょにょ。

Iron D
2938th Post

"Re(3):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Thu 31 Jul 14:34post reply

quote:
And yeah, the music does change when you're low on life. That was pretty cool.

Freaking sweet. If you ask me, ALL fighting games should have this. Still pisses me off that SFIV didn't bring this back, being an homage to SF2 and all.

Er.....

Gojira
2415th Post

"Re(4):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Fri 1 Aug 13:57post reply

I think it's great. The guest characters I just ignore. Tower of Souls is infuriatingly hard, which is great, because the challenge forces you to try various different character/item/skill combinations to make things easier. Story mode sucks, I just finished it to get all the stages and weapons, and I don't plan to revisit it.

shipoopi

Maou
1470th Post

"Re(5):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Fri 1 Aug 14:28post reply

quote:
I think it's great. The guest characters I just ignore. Tower of Souls is infuriatingly hard, which is great, because the challenge forces you to try various different character/item/skill combinations to make things easier. Story mode sucks, I just finished it to get all the stages and weapons, and I don't plan to revisit it.

Hmm, all the extra modes aside, how's it play? I got so badly burned on the dreck that was III that I haven't been excited about it...not that I own a PS3 anyway. After I and II, III was sort of like watching your gifted child drop out of high school and get addicted to cocaine. I'm hoping that with IV he can at least make it to vocational school and stop shaming the family.

The best thing about SC IV so far has been that it inspires Xuexue to draw pretty fan artwork.

Iggy
8595th Post

"Re(6):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Fri 1 Aug 16:49post reply

To me, it's better than 3 and 2, but I hated both of them so it doesn't account for much.
Most of the moves that have disappeared in 3 (the ones I liked, though) are still gone, which saddens me to no end. Maybe that means the characters have all sorts of new moves that I haven't discovered (I played it at a friend's), maybe it means they are really screwed AGAIN for the sake of it.

That's for the unimportant details. More interesting : Ivy's new VA is OK, but I don't like Taki's. Wakamoto is a little bit tamer than usual, which might be better for a fighting game but then, he's playing Yoshimitsu so maybe he should have gone a bit wilder. I don't remember Astaroth was so talkative. I would have rather him to just shut up, especially because is VA is lame. Male characters don't seem to have naughty bits.
Finally, the game might be a good doll set, but they have to add more clothes (and clothes from older, better games) to this. Maybe add Li-long, Edgemaster and the maids back and it will be fine.

Oh, and if only we could have had an option to make the Star Wars characters and background just vanish from the game like they never existed, it would have been perfect.

Gojira
2416th Post

"Re(6):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Sat 2 Aug 04:30post reply

quote:

Hmm, all the extra modes aside, how's it play?

Well if you want to get technical...

Step is back to SC2 usefulness, almost. Backdashing is really slow now, so stepping out of range isn't as easy as it used to be. Soul gauge and critical finishes change the game a bit. For the most part things are the same but when you get your gauge in the red you have to either step, attack, or GI more aggresively. Or just get hit. Jumping is faster, but there are no more WL moves. There are more escapable stuns, and everyone seems to have at least one.

Many characters have been changed. Xianghua got nerfed. Amy is the new Xianghua. Raph became a tank. Sisters seem as good as ever. Tira is weird. Rock is still a joke. The game is still unbalanced but at least the tiers have changed enough so it can be new for a while.

shipoopi

Just a Person
1201th Post

"Re(7):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Sun 3 Aug 03:44post reply

quote:
Maybe add Li-long, Edgemaster and the maids back and it will be fine.

Oh, and if only we could have had an option to make the Star Wars characters and background just vanish from the game like they never existed, it would have been perfect.

I read a review about SCIV from a guy who works at EGM Brazil and it was pretty positive. But I just think Namco-Bandai should have added Li Long and Hwang in the game. Unlike the maids, or Necrid, or whoever, both of them actually played significant roles in the SC saga, it would be fair to give them an appropriate return.

Anyway, you complained about Vader, Yoda and Starkiller... what about the manga bonus chicks? You know, Scheherazade, Ashlotte and those other gals?

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Nate
950th Post

"Re(8):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Sun 3 Aug 04:08post reply

quote:
what about the manga bonus chicks? You know, Scheherazade, Ashlotte and those other gals?

They're kind of inconsequential as they're just direct clones of other characters, from what I've been reading. They're just another option if you don't want to be Astaroth, Cervantes, Nightmare, etc.

Ishmael
3238th Post

"Re(7):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Sun 3 Aug 04:20post reply

quote:
Finally, the game might be a good doll set, but they have to add more clothes (and clothes from older, better games) to this. Maybe add Li-long, Edgemaster and the maids back and it will be fine.
The Soul series has never been able to decide whether it wants to be a serious fighter or a game where you unlock a bunch of crap. But since I enjoy playing dress-up with my characters far more than a grown man should I don't mind the schizophrenic approach. I do hope that Namco has hidden the most interesting trinkets in the game and haven't set them aside for DLC.

Iggy
8596th Post

"Re(9):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Sun 3 Aug 05:47post reply

quote:
They're kind of inconsequential as they're just direct clones of other characters, from what I've been reading. They're just another option if you don't want to be Astaroth, Cervantes, Nightmare, etc.

I actually like the Astaroth clone, but since I also like Astaroth, I'll never actually play with her.
The Cervantes clone who reminds me of Kitana for a reason is a good neta with her lack of hygiene and her breasts who lost their fight against gravity. The other 4 look pretty bad, but at least they don't take a full spot like the Star Wars character so you can totally forget they exist.

hikarutilmitt
465th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Sun 3 Aug 10:50post reply

quote:

I actually like the Astaroth clone, but since I also like Astaroth, I'll never actually play with her.
The Cervantes clone who reminds me of Kitana for a reason is a good neta with her lack of hygiene and her breasts who lost their fight against gravity. The other 4 look pretty bad, but at least they don't take a full spot like the Star Wars character so you can totally forget they exist.

At least for the most part they generally look better in-game than in the artwork (which is usually good, anyway, but...). The obvious exception being Algol Fear because she just sticks out like a sore thumb, model, textures and all.

Hilde is interesting, she has quick short range and somewhat slower long range, but they have totally different properties instead of it just being like Rock/Roth/Mina/Kilik and having them smack you real quick with their weapon and doing nothing.

catalyst
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Mon 4 Aug 11:51post reply

Question to anyone, has anyone found a way to turn of the communication sound in SC 4 other than the mute button on the remote?

I find it very annoying listening to a nasally voiced teenager telling me hes too thugged out with his lil wayne music while complaining about my internet being slow.

Though it was fun tossing around his Darth Vader about.

This song is so true

Undead Fred
2981th Post

"Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Mon 4 Aug 12:50post reply

quote:

Yeah, they're totally clones, but I like their designs, so I use them now and again. Mostly Ashlotte since she's the creepiest, and she also has Astaroth's movelist (one of my "regulars"). So it worked just fine for me.

I'm sure they'll follow the path of the other clones if they make more SC's and eventually become their own character, though.

Zepy
1481th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Tue 5 Aug 14:13post reply

I wasn't very interested in the game till I saw this

Seija
3160th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Tue 5 Aug 15:13post reply

quote:

Oh dear. XP

This is so disturbing, that it's pretty much true. Oh. I will not comment on that big scary axe guy.

にょにょにょ。

catalyst
426th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Wed 6 Aug 01:04post reply

quote:

Oh dear. XP

This is so disturbing, that it's pretty much true. Oh. I will not comment on that big scary axe guy.

Freddie Mercury kindly put it in that video "another one bites the dust~"

This song is so true

Ishmael
3240th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Wed 6 Aug 04:50post reply

The true potential of SC4 is now being unlocked.

Undead Fred
2982th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Anyone got it yet?" , posted Thu 7 Aug 09:56post reply

quote:

Wow... that's a man kiss.

Ktallguy
1016th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member