Character Design Questions - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2162 Views )

Nate
932th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Character Design Questions" , posted Fri 30 May 17:29post reply

So yes, perhaps in my spare time I still design fighting game style characters.

Anyway, I have a concept I'm not sure which direction to take with. I figured someone might be able to give me input.

Let's get a little background data, yes?

Name:Sheena
Origin: Claims "Lemuria" when asked, true origin unknown
Height: 5'9" (175cm)
Weight: 130lbs (59kg)
Hair color: White (claims it's natural)
Eye color: Green
Blood Type: AB
Birthday: August 8
Background: Though possessing unique looks, Sheena is not to be taken lightly. Her true asset lies in her knowledge of numerology. She has developed her obsession with numbers to the point that she uses it (especially in battle) to calculate many variables, almost "predicting" what will occur and adjusting to it accordingly. People who have witnessed her in combat liken it to taking on someone who's always two steps ahead. Because of her numerological ability, some groups have sought to harness it for their own goals. Currently she is involved with an ongoing attempt to rejoin the scattered parts of a forgotten saint for unknown reasons. Even though she is known to be on this side, her actions still prove unpredictable, seemingly fluctuating depending on her numbers.

Appearance: Here's where I'm not 100%. The basic design I have right now for her involves an outfit somewhat similar to Poison's. She wears a tank top with jagged stripes on it, cutoff denim shorts, and probably combat boots or something along those lines. Her hair is very long, down to the lower portion of her back, and in its default color scheme is pure white. She's extremely pale, almost but not quite an albino. Her eyes are a yellowish-green, kind of catlike, especially when she's in a numerology-induced frenzy.

I really like this design. My main issue is her weapon, and, by extension, the attacks she would have with said weapon. Originally I had it as a large pair of scissors. I am having trouble coming up with things she can do with these other than forward stabs and maybe some big slash attacks. The concept I had in mind when coming up with her was a character who lands a lot of powerful single blows. Meaty hits. She's not a grappler; nor is she someone who chains together a lot of hits at once. She can't just run up to an opponent; her dash is more of a pounce than a run. She relies on brutal, clean hits. The other weapon idea I had was a baseball bat, but I ran into the same problems. I think some sort of batting reflect attack like Ai in NGBC would be cool, and maybe a slide and stuff like that, but past the obvious it's as hard to come up with bat attacks as it is with scissors. If I were to switch her to the bat, I'm considering a slightly different "Li'l Slugger" style outfit where she has a baseball helmet but overall the rest of her style is the same. Also, I want to incorporate the numerology more into the movelist. What I'm thinking could work is doing things sort of like Yoshitora in the Samsho games where after using a certain amount of special moves you can then use a more powerful attack whenever you want.

Oh and another idea attack-wise was that she has a special mode that takes all her meter (think custom/variable combo but different effect) that she can enter that gives her "super armor", which makes it easier to land some of her attacks. During this mode she also gains an additional super or two at the cost of ending the activation entirely for the trade-off of some heavy damage.

I don't know, it's late and I'm bored. Tell me if you have any suggestions for this character or need to hear more. Thanks!

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Replies:

Gojira
2368th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Character Design Questions" , posted Fri 30 May 18:39post reply

I like the original scissors idea. If you make the scissors REALLY big, like about the same size as her body, you can have her using them as more than just a weapon. Like for example she stands on them like stilts, anchoring with either her hands or feet (or both). Using them like that, they could serve as weapon attacks too. Like cartwheels or pirouettes or a larf kick or something. I don't know, just throwing out random ideas.

shipoopi

Ikari Loona
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Character Design Questions" , posted Sat 31 May 02:32post reply

As I read this what kept comind to mind was that she's supposed to rely on numbers and calculations, but had no apparent way to measure exact things like a movement's speed, distance from the opponent or the opponent's measures.

What I'd do to contemplate that was having as much of her outfit as rigid as possible (some armour pieces over her clothing, for example), so she could use those as improvised rulers/measurement references, and/or having stripes along arms and legs, maybe other parts of her clothing (which shouldn't fold much for the reasons stated above) too also a quick measurement references. Example, both characters kick and hit each other's legs or something - looking at the markings in her clothing would make it easier to understand the opponent's range, or at least something like the distance between the heel and knee, and adjust her distance from the opponent accordingly.

As for choice of weapon, same principles apply too - something like a striped staff would seem perfect for the same reasons. Perhaps some kind of disposable ammo she could throw too, also to take advantage of distances and measurements, maybe at an arc/angle (think Cheng's from FF).
You mentioned a fan, and it crossed my mind it might be an interesting way to have her measure angles mid-fight, although good circumstances to use that don't really cross my mind...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

shindekudasai
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Character Design Questions" , posted Sat 31 May 06:41post reply

Well, being "two steps ahead" should give her a few counter moves, and as a super she could do a forward stab with the scissors closed, then open them up inside the opponent with a follow-up command (and maybe an extra stock) for additional damage.

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

black_hayato
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Character Design Questions" , posted Sat 31 May 11:30post reply

I'm not feeling the scissors. When I think of a calculating math person. I would imagine her fighting with a caliper, a pencil compass boomerang, T-square ax, magic pen or calculator, etc.

ZamIAm
1730th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Stabby stab...inch by inch" , posted Sun 1 Jun 07:06post reply

Ah, so you are still working on it.

quote:
My main issue is her weapon, and, by extension, the attacks she would have with said weapon. Originally I had it as a large pair of scissors. I am having trouble coming up with things she can do with these other than forward stabs and maybe some big slash attacks. The concept I had in mind when coming up with her was a character who lands a lot of powerful single blows. Meaty hits. She's not a grappler; nor is she someone who chains together a lot of hits at once. She can't just run up to an opponent; her dash is more of a pounce than a run. She relies on brutal, clean hits.

[snip]

Oh and another idea attack-wise was that she has a special mode that takes all her meter (think custom/variable combo but different effect) that she can enter that gives her "super armor", which makes it easier to land some of her attacks. During this mode she also gains an additional super or two at the cost of ending the activation entirely for the trade-off of some heavy damage.

There's plenty that could be done with scissors, especially if you are going the route of having them the size of hedge clippers. You have basic stabs and slashes but you also have actual "scissor chops" (can't think of a better term), utilizing the hinge/pivot for windmill style attacks if she holds only one handle (best comparison is a less spammable version of Pitt's side B), or outright separating the two scissor blades so she can use them as double short swords. There are two concepts needed to make this idea really take off.

The first concept is story/visual. Some scissors have ruler measurements on them add that to her design. In some taunt, idle, startup, and lag animations she peers down the length of scissors for measurement. Perhaps you would add more emphasis to this by literally having a few transparent measurement lines on the screen. It would be even more clever to have your game engine give "real" readings of character distances based upon the difference in the X axis.

As far as gameplay, she would have few to no Geese Howard style counter moves. Instead she rely upon two concepts--counter hits and perfect range. These would better suit her "magical math" fighting style. Her special moves wouldn't just gain extra damage on a counter hit (or hitting the perfect distance like Alpha 3 Ryu and Fei Long's Max supers) they would gain brand new properties like stun/stagger, wire/rebound, juggle, increasing her own super more, increasing the damage of her next attack, or even temporary DOT (like Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance's Impale attacks but less broken). This would make the super armor mode you mentioned far more useful because it would be harder to interrupt her at the optimal ranges for some moves and easier to unleash counter hits for the others. I'd say she should have slightly lower defense so she can't turtle in this mode as easily. Also the super for this mode is where she would have her Geese Howard super.

For good measure, you might want to give her a few special moves that are simply walk/dash/run animations for her to atempt to get into her perfect ranges.

sushi_bunny
443th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Character Design Questions" , posted Sun 1 Jun 10:11:post reply

quote:
I'm not feeling the scissors. When I think of a calculating math person. I would imagine her fighting with a caliper, a pencil compass boomerang, T-square ax, magic pen or calculator, etc.

"Weapons of Math Instruction"

Someday I will ask her to Cosplay as Kasumi from DOA for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BrPaeMePM

[this message was edited by sushi_bunny on Sun 1 Jun 10:12]

Oroch
1018th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Character Design Questions" , posted Mon 2 Jun 15:21:post reply

quote:

"Weapons of Math Instruction"

you should drop the scissors and have her use a rOtring 600 fountain pen, the old style with the knurled tips, I've actually had that pen save my life once...

[this message was edited by Oroch on Mon 2 Jun 15:22]

Megane
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Character Design Questions" , posted Mon 2 Jun 18:38post reply

Yooo.

If she is the type who relies on predictions, why not have her be a counter/trap oriented fighter? You can have some moves patterned after Donovan's sword placement moves, only the trap placement is invisible to the opponent. You can also have a special attack based on the last digit of the timer (odd/even). Or have her summon orbs with varying properties (trajectory/property) depending on how many she has currently summoned.

How about this: she has a multi-hitting move that does NO damage at all, but you can cancel it, and depending on the number of hits, it will do something different (2-hit for Launch, 3-hit for Knockback, 4-hit for Command Throw).

If you want, feel free to see my own roster, as I too have been doing something like this, hehe:

Maidens of War

Nate
933th Post

"Re(2):Character Design Questions" , posted Tue 3 Jun 05:02post reply

Wow. I'm really surprised I even got this many responses...you guys rock!

I think I am sticking with the scissors, especially thanks to suggestions from ZamIAm and Megane. I think she's going to have a lot more pivot-based attacks, using not just her arms but her legs to propel the weapon. The idea of variant moves stemming from a non-damaging multi hit sounds especially good. It kind of reminds me of the timing required on canceling moves in Guilty Gear and similar games. I think she'd work best as an extremely technical character who is capable of high damage. Dependent, of course, on timing and range. I really like the orb idea too, maybe how many she's able to put out can have an effect on the length of her super armor mode?

I'm also thinking of a forward thrust attack where the followup depends on what part of the scissors hit. The tip would have a different effect than the blade, etc.

Man, power-type characters are fun.

Shindekudasai
202th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Character Design Questions" , posted Tue 3 Jun 08:08post reply

Sounds cool! So how are you planning to make this chara anyway? Mugen?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/ungenesis/asuka-1.gif [Image Attached]
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q213/ungenesis/gotrei.jpg [Image Attached]

Variable Savior
423th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Character Design Questions" , posted Tue 3 Jun 12:52post reply

quote:

Man, all these responses - suprising. This is almost like a breeding ground for a IAQ

Blood marks heaven's path

Megane
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Character Design Questions" , posted Tue 3 Jun 15:36post reply

quote:

Man, all these responses - suprising. This is almost like a breeding ground for a IAQ

What's an IAQ?

Variable Savior
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Character Design Questions" , posted Wed 4 Jun 07:49post reply

quote:

What's an IAQ?

Stands for Infrequently Asked Questions. It was something that was quite in vogue for a while at Orochinagi - essentially posters came up with their own character designs (quite similiar to what Nate has here) for inclusion in a IAQ (as opposed to a FAQ) for a fictional fighting game.

Describing it makes it sounds quite lame but it was an interesting exercise in creativity. The trend lasted for four or five incarcerations before ultimately collapsing under it's own weight

Blood marks heaven's path

ZamIAm
1731th Post

"Re(7):Character Design Questions" , posted Wed 4 Jun 23:46post reply

quote:
Stands for Infrequently Asked Questions. It was something that was quite in vogue for a while at Orochinagi - essentially posters came up with their own character designs (quite similiar to what Nate has here) for inclusion in a IAQ (as opposed to a FAQ) for a fictional fighting game.

Describing it makes it sounds quite lame but it was an interesting exercise in creativity. The trend lasted for four or five incarcerations before ultimately collapsing under it's own weight

Hmm...interesting. I can see how it could be pretty fun and how it could easily get bogged down. I'm probably a bit too paranoid to post any of my own stuff or at least in highly descriptive terms.

Megane
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Character Design Questions" , posted Thu 5 Jun 00:18post reply

quote:

I'm probably a bit too paranoid to post any of my own stuff or at least in highly descriptive terms.

Hehe, I somehow feel the same way. I always had notebooks filled with scribbles and stuff, but now I just use Google Notebook.

ZamIAm
1737th Post

"Re(1):Stabby stab...inch by inch" , posted Fri 18 Jul 13:57post reply

Nate, if it's okay, can I get your email address? To be honest, I thought I had it from a long time ago but I don't see it in my contacts.

Nate
945th Post

"Re(2):Stabby stab...inch by inch" , posted Fri 18 Jul 23:30post reply

quote:
Nate, if it's okay, can I get your email address? To be honest, I thought I had it from a long time ago but I don't see it in my contacts.

Sure.

bloodytyphoon AT yahoo DOT com

I have also been bored enough to come up with a few new character ideas, one of which I think turned out really well. For now I'll only say this: an automaton. We're talking gears, clockwork, stuff like that. Creepy.

Nate
946th Post

"Here's a new one!" , posted Sat 19 Jul 01:45post reply

New character time!

Call Name: Judecca
Origin: claims to have been born in the Black Forest of Germany, true origin uncertain
Height: 5'7" (171cm)
Weight: 331lbs (150kg) (he's very round in shape)
Hair color: bald
Eye color: one coal black, one gold (admits gold is a false eye, usually hides both behind thick crystal lenses)
Blood type: ??
Birthday: ??

Background: Judecca will first appear as a boss character. He is a member of an exclusive team within bounty hunting organization. This team takes its call names from the four sections of Cocytus from Dante's Inferno: Caina, Judecca, Ptolomea, and Antenora. In accordance with the meanings behind each section from the poem, to ascend to this group from normal membership one must be willing to commit the crime associated with one of the four sections to show their absolute dedication. As such, there are usually only four members at any given time, due to the heavy consequences of betraying one's blood relative, master/benefactor, guests, or country. After attaining membership, however, group members are granted various benefits. They no longer have to go on regular missions assigned to them by the organization; they can pick and choose as they wish. Additionally, their crimes are never disclosed, even to the other three members within the group. People in positions higher than this group know what the members have done but are sworn to secrecy.

As for Judecca himself, he was once known as Doktor Coppelius and sometimes introduces himself using that name as well. An avid maker of automata, he developed quite a reputation in Europe for his excellent work. Then, just as suddenly as his career took off, he disappeared, resurfacing only a few years ago in his current bizarre form. Strangely, he was known for being extremely tall and lanky by those who knew him 10+ years ago, some of whom will encounter the new Coppelius in-game. He explains his sudden change in appearance as an accident occurring in his workshop requiring most of his body to be replaced with the very same parts he used for his creations. He sometimes morbidly refers to himself as the "Human Clock". Though his face is still recognizable, he is certainly not the same person in outlook or behavior as he once was. He is considered very eerie, even by those he frequently associates with. He has a distinct laugh that unnerves most people as well as a fixation on body parts, usually a different one with each person he meets. What caused this change may have something to do with his new status as Judecca.

He also has his various automata follow him around, sometimes using them as traps. His favorite is a female named Olimpia, who may actually be a real person with some of her body parts replaced by clockwork. Every now and then she is able to speak and beg for help, which is usually around the time Judecca suddenly appears. She is usually there to distract attention while he swoops in to attack.

Appearance: Judecca is finely dressed despite his odd shape. He is very round, almost comically so. He wears a tall, thin top hat, crystal lenses over his eyes, and his mouth almost permanently in a twisted grin. An overcoat with tails is fitted over a vest and tie with slacks. He also sports a long scarf around his neck and usually carries an umbrella.

Think Tongpu from the Cowboy Bebop Episode Pierrot Le Fou. But possibly larger.

Battle Data:
-Judecca is, of course, surprisingly mobile for someone so large. A large part of his fighting style comes from the element of surprise, as well as making use of his machinery-based body.
-While Judecca cannot run directly at his opponent (his dash is a short forward leap), he CAN air dash from the ground, through the use of his umbrella and a carefully placed clock spring. This is kind of like Morrigan's dash in most games she's appeared in.

Attacks (I think these should be in German or another language but I don't know clock terminology in languages other than English):

Regular Specials:

Brass Gear: Judecca tosses out a gear in an arc. This comes in two variations. One throws a smaller gear that travels faster and in a wider arc. The other throws a large gear that travels slowly in a small arc. These both hit overhead, so they must be blocked high. This, of course, provides him with setups using other attacks.

Iron Clock Hand: While in the air, Judecca produces some large clock hands and throws them like spears. Like his gear throw attack, this has two different versions. One throws one clock hand at a fairly wide angle (45 degrees or more) and the other throws two clock hands at a steep angle. Both can be performed one after the other during a jump or air dash, but this attack can only be performed in the air.

Diamond Tip: Judecca pauses and rushes forward while spinning his umbrella, point-first. This does multiple hits and has autoguard while Judecca winds up, but it does not go extremely far.

Bronze Spring: Judecca crouches down and lays a spring that remains out for a few seconds. If an opponent steps on it, they are launched into the air.

Pewter Boulder (needs better name): Judecca leaps into the air and drops belly-first onto his opponent. This can be done from the ground or the air, with the air version having more recovery time after he lands.

Silver Pendulum : Judecca swings through the air on a giant pendulum. With proper timing, this will cause an opponent to bounce off a wall for more punishment. There are two versions of this, one which is "safer" (he will bounce backwards if blocked) but slower and the other which is fast but far more dangerous if blocked (he will drop right in front of where he hit the blocking opponent).

Desperation Attacks:

Clockwork Zoo: This attack has Judecca removing his hat and summoning animal automata from it. There are at least two versions, possibly more. The ground version has a mass of clockwork rabbits charge the opponent. The air version sends out three waves of clockwork doves that strike diagonally downwards in a V shape. Depending on spacing, this attack may not have every animal summoned hit the opponent.

Mystery of Doktor Coppelius: This is a grab attack. The opponent is grabbed and Judecca's stomach suddenly opens and drags them in. The screen then shifts to show them being ground up by large gears and spit out for heavy damage.

Golden Clock: Can only be done in midair. Judecca suddenly flails about wildly as a mass of springs, gears, and other parts fall from his body and bounce around. This attack also depends on spacing as standing in the right spot can avoid being hit by most of what falls out.

Waltz of the Dolls - Judecca calls for Olimpia and she comes out and dances. If she completes the dance without getting KOed (she has an individual life bar), ALL of Judecca's specials will be upgraded to more powerful forms. This makes him significantly harder to fight. This will not be available for his playable form, of course.

And that's Judecca! As you can see, I took inspiration for him from multiple sources. I wanted to do a "big" character who fought in a different way. The idea for him came from not only Cowboy Bebop but some literary sources (Der Sandmann) and a horror manga I read called "Human Clock". His plotline should prove interesting. Even though he's already creepy, there's even more unsettling twists to his story that will be revealed.