New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3459 Views )

Ishmael
3168th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Thu 29 May 21:52post reply

Iggy was quite right in noting that the previous SF4 thread had become puffy and that a new listing was in order.

To start things off 1Up reads the latest issue of Famitsu. El Fuerte's Propeller Tortilla and the North American debut of the SF4 television commercial are discussed. Speaking of which, streetfighter.com has a countdown running.

Replies:

Just a Person
1168th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Thu 29 May 22:11post reply

It also give us some details on Rufus's story (Seth's one was already pointed out). So he claims to be America's #1 fighter and wants to beat Ken. Unless SFIII is retconned out of the SF continuity (which I hope that does NOT happen), I guess Rufus never managed to do so...

Wasn't the game supposed to be released on July? The 1UP news doesn't give an exact release date for it... could it be that the arcade version was delayed so they can add extra content (like, I don't know... other NEW characters?)? I definitely wouldn't mind if it was released just in December, as long as it means more improvements...

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Just a Person
1170th Post

"More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 02:02:post reply

Thanks to Famistu.

El Fuerte looks nice, Rufus is the sexiest character in SFIV (jokes aside, he looks much better than he was looking at his first loketest appearance). And Seth, besides fighting completely nude, has a belt (which we've already seen) with a yin-yang symbol in it. I wonder if it interferes in his fighting style.

Plus, one screenshot shows what seems to be his intro cutscene, so it's probably safe to assume he's the last boss now...

(and I may be seeing things, but his sweep attack reminds me of Gill and Urien...)

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Fri 30 May 02:03]

y2k
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 02:46post reply

wow, seth looks like he fights a lot like urien and gill.

Count Hihihi
86th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 02:48post reply

Somehow I get the feeling that the original idea of Gill using light and darkness in his attacks has been implemented in Seth.

a·bel·o·gist - a person who argues in defense or justification of anything SFIV related.

Iggy
8511th Post

"Re(2):More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 04:34post reply

Fajita buster.
Guacamole legthrow.

HAYATO
868th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 05:21post reply

quote:
Somehow I get the feeling that the original idea of Gill using light and darkness in his attacks has been implemented in Seth.

Could Seth be Gill's predecessor as the leader of that Illuminati-like order of his? Thus, including him in SFIV would make a lot of sense, in case Capcom were intending to strengthen the franchise's plot...

I always found the boss transition between SFII and SFIII (from Vega/Bison to Gill) too sudden and drastic, as if there were many things unexplained in between both games' storyline, a sort of missing link whose absence left the whole canon severely crippled. Perhaps that's what Capcom intends to solve by including this Seth character now...

Red Falcon
6015th Post

"Re(3):More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 05:28post reply

As a note, the throw Seth is doing is also Urien's neutral throw.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Grave
1069th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 05:56post reply

I really, really hope that Seth and SIN or whatever somehow tie into Shadowloo having Illuminati connections and... yeah. I have no clue how they plan to do this, but the charge and the throw have me convinced that there's some kind of connection! Do it, Capcom! Throw SF3 fans a bone!

Bastards have actually made me really look forward to this game. I'm pretty much at the opposite end of how I felt when the first shots were revealed. Impressive!

nobinobita
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):More pics of El Fuerte, Rufus and Seth" , posted Fri 30 May 06:14post reply

quote:

Could Seth be Gill's predecessor as the leader of that Illuminati-like order of his? Thus, including him in SFIV would make a lot of sense, in case Capcom were intending to strengthen the franchise's plot...

I always found the boss transition between SFII and SFIII (from Vega/Bison to Gill) too sudden and drastic, as if there were many things unexplained in between both games' storyline, a sort of missing link whose absence left the whole canon severely crippled. Perhaps that's what Capcom intends to solve by including this Seth character now...

Oh man, that's a great hypothesis! Now if Seth doesn't turn out to be the link between SFII and III i'll be really disappointed.

shin ramberk
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Fri 30 May 10:17post reply

Yeah, Seth has the throw, the tackle and the leg sweep. He's either a Gill/Urien prototype or has the ability to mimic fighting styles/abilities.

I'm keen on him being a prototype. Wasn't it also noted that he disliked being a spare body for Bison/Vega?

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Nekros
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Fri 30 May 16:32post reply

So, what's the big news Capcom should bring us today? The new site maybe? The trailer during the fighting match? Or the lame preorder by shitty gamestop?

Iron D
2881th Post

"Re(2):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Fri 30 May 18:31post reply

quote:

I'm keen on him being a prototype. Wasn't it also noted that he disliked being a spare body for Bison/Vega?

A spare body for Dictator? This would also explain how Bison managed to survive yet again.

Er.....

Ishmael
3170th Post

"Re(3):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Fri 30 May 22:27post reply

The home page has been updated. The arcade section now features Rufus and Seth. The new home version section features teaser shots of Fei Long and Dan as well as shots from an animated sequence that features what looks like Gouken.

Digitalboy
539th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Sat 31 May 05:38:post reply

Now that I think about it, originally, Gill's colour palette was supposed to be black and white (yin and yang). However, Capcom wanted to show off the power of the CPS-III board by replacing the black and white colour scheme with eye catching red and blue colour scheme (justifying it by pyrokinesis and cyrokinesis properties).

So we will be fighting the original idea for Gill with some modifications.

Oh yeah, Illuminati can also be used as "the puppet masters."
Which could also mean that the organization that Gill/Urien/Seth are apart of (Illuminati) are/were actually controlling Vega's/M.Bison's Shadowlaw/Shadowloo/whatever.
quote:
Seth.

EDIT multiplied by two

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Sat 31 May 05:49]

Tai-Pan
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Sun 1 Jun 10:25post reply

I hope somebody knows....
I'm gonna ask again, has anybody heard the music in this game? How is it? What type of music etc?

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

CPSIII
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Sun 1 Jun 10:32post reply

quote:
Now that I think about it, originally, Gill's colour palette was supposed to be black and white (yin and yang). However, Capcom wanted to show off the power of the CPS-III board by replacing the black and white colour scheme with eye catching red and blue colour scheme (justifying it by pyrokinesis and cyrokinesis properties).

The second time I read this somewhere, I vaguely remember something like that too but it's hardly a demonstration of power to switch two colors... that's a pallete swap.

What they wanted to show of is that the character actually has two sides and because you could easily miss that on a normal character, they chose to color those two sides differently and change the appearence of his moves depending on which side you see.

How are you doin'

JJWE
572th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Sun 1 Jun 18:37post reply

quote:
The second time I read this somewhere, I vaguely remember something like that too but it's hardly a demonstration of power to switch two colors... that's a pallete swap.

Yay, finally someone who recognizes that a palette swap isn't a particularly impressive technical feat. I've actually talked to people who believed Gill to have twice the amount of frames of all the other characters. :o

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

Count Hihihi
87th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Sun 1 Jun 19:55post reply

Inbreeding is a serious problem ok.

a·bel·o·gist - a person who argues in defense or justification of anything SFIV related.

Ishmael
3172th Post

"Re(8):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Mon 2 Jun 22:36post reply

FYI, the wildly overdone page for streetfigher.com is now open. Highlights include the US commerical, a section where you can e-mail Ono, and several character bios. Some interesting nuggets were included in the bios, such as that Bison and Shadaloo were destroyed in SF2 and that Zangief is entering SF4 "to keep his promise to his beloved child and prove that he is the strongest man in the world." Huh?!?

Just a Person
1170th Post

"Re(9):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Mon 2 Jun 23:21post reply

quote:
FYI, the wildly overdone page for streetfigher.com is now open. Highlights include the US commerical, a section where you can e-mail Ono, and several character bios. Some interesting nuggets were included in the bios, such as that Bison and Shadaloo were destroyed in SF2 and that Zangief is entering SF4 "to keep his promise to his beloved child and prove that he is the strongest man in the world." Huh?!?

So we can send emails to Ono... let's hope the SFIV haters don't find out about this, or he'll be crushed.

Zangief's beloved child... is he a father now? Tiamat's FAQ suggested Zangief might be gay, but who knows...

And he claims to be the strongest man in the world. Is this some kind of response to Chun-Li's claim of being the strongest woman in the world?

Anyway, good news!

GPA
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 02:21post reply

Zangief's child is mentioned in his Japanese bio, too... so he's bisexual, maybe?

I'm just glad it doesn't seem like SF2 was completely retconned as much as was suspected.

Iggy
8514th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 04:09post reply

Zangief was never RAINBOWGAY, his lack of interest in women was just pointed out regularly. That's all. Zangief not having any kind of sexuality was fine with me, really.

Ishmael
3174th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 04:59post reply

quote:
Zangief was never RAINBOWGAY, his lack of interest in women was just pointed out regularly. That's all. Zangief not having any kind of sexuality was fine with me, really.

I always figured that Zangief had moved beyond the concept of sexuality. Companionship and reproduction are things that only mortals are concerned with.

Tai-Pan
236th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 09:37post reply

quote:

I always figured that Zangief had moved beyond the concept of sexuality. Companionship and reproduction are things that only mortals are concerned with.

Communists are not sexual
Zangief is a communist
Therefore Zangief is not sexual

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

shin ramberk
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 09:37post reply

ZANGIEF MUST BE GAY!!!!!!!!!

I'm sad now...

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

GekigangerV
1564th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 11:07post reply

There is a Guile Vs Abel trailer on the official site now. Not the best, but okay.

The Japanese profile of Zangief made it sound like that the children of Russia adored him, not that he had a child of his own.

Iron D
2882th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 17:24post reply

Actually, the Tiamat FAQ said that Zangief didn't like pretty women...or something like that. In any case, it said that he didn't like a specific type of woman rather than saying he didn't like women at all.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Tue 3 Jun 19:51post reply

I have no clue what one of those cutscenes on the official site is supposed to depict. So let us make up aprox 100 words or so theories of what it could be, instead of just saying "new boss" or if you insist, you can even say "akuma", but I think every possibility for Zangief's sexuality has already been said. So yeah.

Ishmael
3177th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Wed 4 Jun 00:01:post reply

An absurd amount of new videos, pictures and general info is coming out. Details include animated endings and the news that Capcom re-did the hit detection so it is now done using 2D-style hitboxes.

EDIT: Gamewatch gets in on the act.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Wed 4 Jun 00:59]

Megane
429th Post

Gold Customer

"New stuff" , posted Wed 4 Jun 00:06post reply

Interview with Ono

Features the fab four bosses, the new kids on the block, and an annoying announcer

Gojira
2371th Post

"Re(1):New stuff" , posted Wed 4 Jun 04:42post reply

The website now announces yet another loketest in Tokyo on 6/6-6/8. I guess the previous one wasn't the last one after all.

shipoopi

Just a Person
1171th Post

"Re(2):New stuff" , posted Wed 4 Jun 08:10post reply

quote:
The website now announces yet another loketest in Tokyo on 6/6-6/8. I guess the previous one wasn't the last one after all.

Yes, but Ono confirmed that the game's arcade version has already gone gold. So the loketest will probably show the final version of the game.

After complaining a lot, I'm satisfied with the 16 characters + 1 boss we got, so it's okay if they're the only characters in SFIV. But I wonder if there's any possibility that Akuma isn't the only secret character in the game...

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Wed 4 Jun 09:45post reply

quote:
Details include animated endings and the news that Capcom re-did the hit detection so it is now done using 2D-style hitboxes.

Unfortunately, Capcom hasn't redone the throws to be single-button. At least they're SF3-like instead of SFZ3-like.

Shindekudasai
204th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Attack" , posted Wed 4 Jun 16:03post reply

Amen to that!

NARUTO
3649th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Thu 5 Jun 17:03post reply

new arcadia cover... Chun-li
I really can't anderstand Why capcom keep the best artist for magazine covers when the game it'self has disgusting arts...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Stifu
351th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 05:51post reply

quote:
new arcadia cover... Chun-li
I really can't anderstand Why capcom keep the best artist for magazine covers when the game it'self has disgusting arts...

Granted the SF4 artwork isn't great, that Chun-Li just looks plain weird to me. She barely looks human.
The style looks quite familiar, though... but I can't remember which game it reminds me of.

Variable Savior
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 07:03post reply

quote:

The style looks quite familiar, though... but I can't remember which game it reminds me of.

Kinda reminds me of Eureka 7

Blood marks heaven's path

EddyT
738th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 07:16:post reply

I love Kinu and all, but yeah... I have that Arcadia mag and Chun-Li looks way thin from the waist up. She also looks a bit too young as well.

I also think the SFIV drawing with Ken and Ryu looked weird as well... the drawing that has them standing close together and has been one of the advertisements for all the recent loketests. Ryu doesn't even look like himself.

I used to think that Kinu was one of the most consistent artists that worked for Capcom, but now even she is drawing things that are not very appealing to me nowadays.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Fri 6 Jun 07:18]

Nekros
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 07:28post reply

quote:

I used to think that Kinu was one of the most consistent artists that worked for Capcom, but now even she is drawing things that are not very appealing to me nowadays.

What also did Kinu for Capcom? I remember CVS, then?
A bit off-topic but I'm curious: who's the artist behind the booklet of SNK vs Capcom on NGPC? He/she has very nice style for a fighting game!

Gojira
2375th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 07:57:post reply

The cover scan seems to be gone. Anywhere else I can see it?

quote:

Cyberbots, Powered Gear, and Varth come to mind.

quote:

A bit off-topic but I'm curious: who's the artist behind the booklet of SNK vs Capcom on NGPC? He/she has very nice style for a fighting game!

Hiroaki, I think. I'm not entirely sure.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 6 Jun 08:01]

Evenor
646th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 08:18post reply

quote:
The cover scan seems to be gone. Anywhere else I can see it?

Here~

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Shindekudasai
208th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 08:50post reply

quote:

who's the artist behind the booklet of SNK vs Capcom on NGPC?

If I remember correctly, that was Falcoon's debut for SNK.

Toxico
4405th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 10:39post reply

quote:

Falcoon was on the generics card for the card games (The S card where drawn by special guests artist), I don't remember who did the match of millenium version of the game

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

GPA
40th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 12:51post reply

Wasn't it Senri Kita?

quote:

Falcoon was on the generics card for the card games (The S card where drawn by special guests artist), I don't remember who did the match of millenium version of the game

EddyT
738th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 13:17post reply

quote:

She also did some art for Super Turbo/Super SF II X, Capcom vs SNK 2, Cannon Spike, SF III and SFIII:2nd Impact...

Nekros
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Fri 6 Jun 17:16post reply

quote:

SF III and SFIII:2nd Impact...

Nice. Just checking the manual of the DC version now, good girl Kinu ^^

Iggy
8517th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant At" , posted Fri 6 Jun 18:36post reply

Ono makes a rather convincing job at defending his approach of SF4

On the Chunli model topic, on the other hand, he's much less convincing with a picture just under his statement about a "beautiful face".

Just a Person
1175th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Fri 6 Jun 21:31post reply

quote:

On the Chunli model topic, on the other hand, he's much less convincing with a picture just under his statement about a "beautiful face".

What news or details exactly does he provide in this interview?

And another question: since it's already Friday, has anyone found any news about this week's SFIV loketest?

nobinobita
367th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant Att" , posted Sat 7 Jun 03:03post reply

quote:

She also did some art for Super Turbo/Super SF II X, Capcom vs SNK 2, Cannon Spike, SF III and SFIII:2nd Impact...

She also did the character designs for Eureka 7 and Overman King Gainer (Akiman did the mecha designs). She's great! I'd like to marry her.

D`Cloud
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant At" , posted Sat 7 Jun 03:41post reply

Rufus reminds me of cheng sinzan except lamer.
neway based on the HD videos im seeing floating around, the game graphics looks nice. although i still feel the art direction is not SF. the camera movement is annoying for me. the physics is a bit weird for me. the animation i like some but mostly i still feel it's lacking. bottomline, this doesnt deserve the "4" in its title. its pretty cool by itself, its just not that innovative.

http://www.dustinuy.com

HAYATO
869th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Giant At" , posted Sat 7 Jun 05:59post reply

quote:
She's great! I'd like to marry her.

If I were you, I'd wait at least until watching a real photo of herself before making such a statement... You know, being good at drawing could be her only positive trait after all...

I have fond memories of her desings for "King of Dragons" "Powered Gear" and "Rival Schools" as well, although I think her "SFIII" an "Cyberbots" related works are the pinnacle of her career...

EddyT
740th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 06:22post reply

I think Edayan did Rival Schools, not Kinu. Definitely not her style of art.

Also, if you're looking for loketest news, I will be in Tokyo playing the game today and tomorrow, so I'll be reporting as usual on srk.com. Hopefully, I can do a decent job giving you guys the lowdown on what's new flying solo... or perhaps I'll meet a MMCafe member out there?

Nekros
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 06:22post reply

quote:
Rufus reminds me of cheng sinzan except lamer.
neway based on the HD videos im seeing floating around, the game graphics looks nice.

and where can we find these hd videos? ^^

nobinobita
368th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 06:26post reply

quote:

If I were you, I'd wait at least until watching a real photo of herself before making such a statement...

Nonsense! I expect her to look exactly like how she draws Chunli! :D

Actually, I do remember reading a translation of Akiman's blog that mentioned she was pretty cute.

In any case her drawing skills are awesome. She's definitely one of my favorite artists with her great technical skill and even greater sense of style. Hmmmm perhaps I don't want to be WITH her, but rather I want to BE her!

Also, her stuff for Powered Gear and Cyberbots is some of my favorite sci-fi stuff. Her Powered Gear character designs were really great. They had a kinda hard sci-fi feel to them. They felt like they were part of the Aliens and Predator universe (did she work on that game at all? Or was that Bengus and Akiman?). If FPS games looked like that I'd play them all the time.

Iggy
8518th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 06:34post reply

quote:
I think Edayan did Rival Schools, not Kinu. Definitely not her style of art.

Indeed. He did all 3 games, and even lamented about Moejus, saying how "he was very tired and anyways he doesn't have much talent and I'm so ashamed my drawing skills seem to have regressed since the first games please bitchslap me now".

I love Edayan, but his interviews can be painful to read.

EddyT
741th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 06:44post reply

quote:

Also, her stuff for Powered Gear and Cyberbots is some of my favorite sci-fi stuff. Her Powered Gear character designs were really great. They had a kinda hard sci-fi feel to them. They felt like they were part of the Aliens and Predator universe (did she work on that game at all? Or was that Bengus and Akiman?). If FPS games looked like that I'd play them all the time.

AvP designs were from Bengus/CRMK. Back in his prime IMO.

And Kinu is still one of my favorite artists out there. I wish I could meet her in person, so I can just stand there, red-faced... not knowing how to express my admiration with my broken Japanese.

GekigangerV
1568th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 14:39:post reply

Has there been any images of that corner man that Balrog/Bison supposedly had?

I tried reading through that famitsu interview, but got bored. The first 8 questions are basically saying "We tried to make it like SF2."

There is a question about Dan and Fei-Long based off those images they released and they go out of their way to specifically NOT say "Dan" and "Fei-Long." I guess it's because they really haven't finalized who will be in the home port, but it is kind of silly that they release images of them and it is not "officially" confirmed they will be in it.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sat 7 Jun 14:40]

Spoon
1589th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 15:39post reply

quote:

An awesome console unlockable would be models of Chun Li with all the different faces she's had through the loketests.

CPSIII
155th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 7 Jun 19:16post reply

quote:
I wish I could meet her in person, so I can just stand there, red-faced... not knowing how to express my admiration with my broken Japanese.

just wink and tell her "Airabu"... XD

How are you doin'

Ishmael
3179th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sun 8 Jun 03:26post reply

Since we're sharing the Nishimura love, my personal favorite stuff of hers is the work she did on the D&D games.

quote:
An awesome console unlockable would be models of Chun Li with all the different faces she's had through the loketests.

I'm hoping all those weird pre-production faces are unlockable. That crazy looking Ryu with the sunken cheeks and bugged out eyes is too great to let disappear.

Ishmael
3196th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Fri 27 Jun 22:09post reply

Thread bump to note that the home page has been updated. What the heck is Chun-Li wearing?

Shindekudasai
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sat 28 Jun 02:28post reply

quote:
It is, with “[zeni] SHOP”, using [zeni] which is saved in the game play, it is possible to purchase various benefits. * There is a thing and a character private designation which all [kiyara] specification it is possible, commonly to designation designation! In only designation and the official event which enter into the hand with period limitation the designation which does not enter into the hand!? * You can insert in the hand the clothes Mobile private clothes! As for the clothes where personality of the character shines, as for [zeni] however it is high, there is a value of purchase! * It can purchase here sufficient original color of the color variation! - But considerably large amount, the original clothes!? In addition, when you play the game at the store which is registered to the my store you can receive 1 day 1 stamps. Gathering the stamp, with “stamp SHOP” it will get original expecting picture and arrival [mero] and arrival voice etc! Gathering the stamp, it will get the original expecting picture!?

Ishmael
3197th Post

"another alt. costume" , posted Sat 28 Jun 02:40post reply

Commonly to designation designation!

Blurry Blanka.

GekigangerV
1571th Post

"Re(1):another alt. costume" , posted Sat 28 Jun 02:43post reply

quote:
Commonly to designation designation!

Blurry Blanka.

Although I like it, but I thought Ono said no silly costumes. I hope everyone gets something though.

Grave
1074th Post

"Re(2):another alt. costume" , posted Sat 28 Jun 04:05post reply

Yes! Bring on more silly costumes! They will only improve this game. I want to show off my stupid-looking characters on the internet!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
being that it's SF4 they'd be stupid looking to begin with wouldn't they dur hur

End of Spoiler

Spoon
1592th Post

"Re(3):another alt. costume" , posted Sat 28 Jun 10:58post reply

I'm hoping that a Mike Haggar outfit is available for Zangief.

HARO
67th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):New SF4 Thread: Gi" , posted Sun 29 Jun 01:29post reply

quote:
Thread bump to note that the home page has been updated. What the heck is Chun-Li wearing?

HAWT!

GekigangerV
1576th Post

"Badass animated trailer" , posted Fri 4 Jul 16:06:post reply

Link Here

Nice orchestrated version of Ryu's theme.

Blog says that there will be a Chun-Li one at Comic-Con.

There is some art there too

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Fri 4 Jul 16:08]

Megane
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Badass animated trailer" , posted Fri 4 Jul 17:54post reply

quote:
Link Here

Is Sheng Long alive after all this time?

Sensenic
1629th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Badass animated trailer" , posted Fri 4 Jul 17:57:post reply

quote:
Link Here

Wow, neat job. Really good.

Guess this confirms Gouki in the game? (Gasp! Unexpected!!11)
And maybe Gouken too? Death retconned?

Also, who's the guy beaten under the rain? Gouken? Goutetsu? (was that his name again?) Gen?

quote:

Is Sheng Long alive after all this time?

Guess you'll have to beat him to stand a chance... haha...

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Fri 4 Jul 17:58]

Count Hihihi
89th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Badass animated trailer" , posted Fri 4 Jul 18:52post reply

quote:
Link Here

That was so lame I am out of words.

Iggy
8546th Post

"Re(2):Badass animated trailer" , posted Fri 4 Jul 19:08post reply

It's Gôken.

Also, an orchestral remix of Ryû's theme is a retarded idea. And the arms look awful, but then oh god this whole game bores me.

Nekros
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Badass animated trailer" , posted Fri 4 Jul 19:38post reply

Seems the flashy animation done in some of the Naruto anime fights. It's bad indeed. The music instead is good, at least isnt' the same techno-rock-jazzy remix that Capcom always do.

Maese Spt
431th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Badass animated trailer" , posted Fri 4 Jul 22:53post reply

Yuck. That trailer is not badass, it's just bad.

And Ryu and Ken are now fatter than Chun Li. Way to go, Capcom.

RSJ
788th Post

"Re(1):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 07:00post reply

quote:
Link Here

Clearly too many posters here has been playing too many Atlus games and mascot fighters to appreciate this.
Questionable new character designs aside, I never thought Capcom would ever get me this excited again. These truly are amazing times.

Count Hihihi
90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 08:05post reply

There has to be something wrong with me because I can't get excited about the prospect of pulling off fireballs and dragon punches with mr baldy sensei. I could go as far and say that this is killing ryu and ken's design, for me.

One more thing.. To me, 5 minutes of animu to accomppany a game has the same value as an action figure line. Be it Street Fighter or not. What exactly makes an animated commerial badass? Ryu got up, wow.

Olivier Hague
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 08:24post reply

quote:
who's the guy beaten under the rain? Gouken? Goutetsu? (was that his name again?) Gen?

That's Gen.

Sensenic
1630th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 08:39post reply

quote:

One more thing.. To me, 5 minutes of animu to accomppany a game has the same value as an action figure line. Be it Street Fighter or not. What exactly makes an animated commerial badass? Ryu got up, wow.

It has no different value indeed, I guess, as it doesn't show anything from the game -other than perhaps hinting at those 2 new characters-.
But then again, that's good for me, because it's a good "product" and sth worthy to watch in its own. I've shown it to people who are not particularly interested by the game and they liked it too.

I guess what makes it "badass" is its quality. At least to Gekiganger's eyes. And pretty neat to me too.

quote:
who's the guy beaten under the rain? Gouken? Goutetsu? (was that his name again?) Gen?
That's Gen.

Thanks. :)
Guess this means they fought and Gen lost? Or that he died from his illness (IIRC from the a-long-time-ago read TiamatRoar's FAQ) after the combat?
Whatever.

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

nobinobita
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 08:56:post reply

quote:
Link Here

Thanks for the links!

I enjoyed the animoo Street Fighter video. What's not to like about an Ikeno inspired, vaguely third strikish anime? They probably didn't have a tremendous budget to begin with, so what was there was good. I thought the drawing and animation were nice and solid, very volumetric and not flashy. It would be great if they did more of them of similar quality.

Also, the goofy costumes look fun, but they're also kind distressing cos these characters are so iconic to me! As long as they don't get out of character, I'm ok. The olde banana republic explorer Blanka thing was pretty rad. And the chunli one is ... it's ok i guess, cos it kinda looks like something from a kinu picture (or Akiman's blog haha). I mean, as long as Ryu doesn't get tattoos and a haircut, i'll be ok.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 5 Jul 13:38]

D`Cloud
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 13:52post reply

quote:
Link Here

Thanks for the links!

I enjoyed the animoo Street Fighter video. What's not to like about an Ikeno inspired, vaguely third strikish anime? They probably didn't have a tremendous budget to begin with, so what was there was good. I thought the drawing and animation were nice and solid, very volumetric and not flashy. It would be great if they did more of them of similar quality.

Also, the goofy costumes look fun, but they're also kind distressing cos these characters are so iconic to me! As long as they don't get out of character, I'm ok. The olde banana republic explorer Blanka thing was pretty rad. And the chunli one is ... it's ok i guess, cos it kinda looks like something from a kinu picture (or Akiman's blog haha). I mean, as long as Ryu doesn't get tattoos and a haircut, i'll be ok.

more shotokan characters. gah. Heres hoping dan shows up :P

http://www.dustinuy.com

Time Mage
2690th Post

"Re(3):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 16:55post reply

I loved the trailer. I mean, what's not to love? I'm seriously puzzled at how some people consider it a "bad trailer", with "flashy animations" and that it is "killing Ryu and Ken designs". Maybe they are right, but I can't think why.

The only thing that I don't like about the trailer is the possibility of Gouken being alive.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Iron D
2910th Post

"Re(4):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 19:13post reply

quote:
I loved the trailer. I mean, what's not to love? I'm seriously puzzled at how some people consider it a "bad trailer", with "flashy animations" and that it is "killing Ryu and Ken designs". Maybe they are right, but I can't think why.

The only thing that I don't like about the trailer is the possibility of Gouken being alive.

Agreed. Seriously, WTF at the reaction to this. Maybe it's because other Cafeers have more sophisticated tastes in anime (seeing as I don't watch any) but that seemed pretty damn cool to me. Loved the inclusion of the character's themes, and that has managed to get me just a little more hyped for a game that I at first thought was going to be a SFEX level disaster.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sat 5 Jul 19:34post reply

Please tell me how is this animated trailer in any way relevant to SFIV as a game.
Actually it's not really even a trailer.

Iron D
2911th Post

"Re(6):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 04:06post reply

quote:
Please tell me how is this animated trailer in any way relevant to SFIV as a game.

A better question would be how it isn't relevant. It's got two of the main characters from the game, with the possible confirmation of two more. And they're fighting, which is *gasp* what they do in the game! Not to mention all the story tidbits mixed in there.

What the hell else does it need?

Er.....

Time Mage
2691th Post

"Re(6):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 04:08post reply

quote:

Please tell me what relation does that have with the anime not being good.

Alo, there IS relation. First, the backstory of the characters in the console games will be told with sequences like that. Second, Ryu tries to do the Messatsu Gou Hadoken (purple flames) against Gouki at the end of the anime, but he's interrupted by Ken. Since Ryu actually uses the Messatsu Gou Hadoken as his Ultra in the game, I DO see a relation.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

juaN
4472th Post

"Re(6):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 04:18post reply

quote:

you just hate fun

think well your answer

RSJ
789th Post

"Re(7):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 08:12post reply

quote:

you just hate fun

Seriously. Were you guys this crunchy about the anime trailers for the Guilty Gear games??

Amakusa
768th Post

"Re(1):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 10:17post reply

quote:
Link Here

I like this video. I've mostly stayed away from following Street Fighter too closely, so to come by and see this is like seeing an old friend.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Iggy
8549th Post

"Re(8):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 17:41post reply

quote:

Seriously. Were you guys this crunchy about the anime trailers for the Guilty Gear games??

I don't think anyone here noticed there was one.

I think I noticed something with this trailer : I just don't like there being a scenario in SF. Which doesn't mean I hate the scenario itself, I think it's totally unnecessary. The biggest success in term of (good) design for most SF character is that they don't need pages of backstory to be explained : you see Honda, you understand he's a japanese sumo who is going to sit on your face. You see Dahlsim, you see a weird yogi that's going to do weird stuff. You see Makoto, you understand immediately she is going to punch you in the nuts until your grand-grandfathers scream.
And finally, you see Ryû, you understand in a heartbeat he's a lonesome karateka training alone in the woods since puberty and that's probably what he's going to do until he turns 200.
You don't need, or at least I don't need, convulsed backstory on how his master died, how he's all traumatized by the loss, how he reflects on the terrible loss as he's fighting the killer of his sensei (say the word like the hilarious samurai in Godhand) and wah wah wah.
The other thing you notice immediately in SF is that if there is a scenario, it's going to be crappy, so, really, the less they put emphasis on it, the better.

Nekros
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 21:07post reply

quote:
Since Ryu actually uses the Messatsu Gou Hadoken as his Ultra in the game, I DO see a relation.

What!? The Messatsu??? Is it a purple hadouken? Where can I find the animation? I always think about a powered Shinkuu one, or at least, a modified Dejin.

Pollyanna
2524th Post

"Re(9):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 21:17post reply

Even if it isn't cool, I don't see much point in complaining. I mean, it doesn't infringe on anything...it's just there for kicks. If companies want to make 2D animated videos for the hell of it, then more power to them.

Still, I felt exactly the same way about the video as I feel about SF4, which is "I guess this looks okay, but it's also kind of lame and I just can't get excited about it."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Count Hihihi
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Sun 6 Jul 21:52post reply

Like Iggy said, the characters of Street Fighter are self-explanatory in their appearance. Everything there was to be said about them or about the story, happened in the games.

So, I don't get why this anime trailer that's done in a completely different style than the game gets you all hyped up. It's like some incredibly obvious and lame fan creation. Yes, Ryu and Gouki want to punch each other. And yes, Ken is there too. And wasn't this all said and done in the GAMES over ten years ago?

How about watching a 5 minute anime of Pac-Man eating dots and chasing ghosts to a glorious orchestrated rendition of the classic theme? Sounds pretty damn stupid, yeah.

My point is, that the "trailer" is worthless. How can you see any value in it? Yeah sure, it's "badass"...

But I'm a nicer guy than you think, so I will give you some COOL ADVICE! Go to the options/settings screen in a Street Fighter game, set the difficulty to ONE STAR and the rounds to ONE. This way you can watch the ENDING SCREENS without having to learn any special moves! GAME ON DUDES!

crazymike
1459th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(9):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 01:27post reply

quote:

I just don't like there being a scenario in SF. Which doesn't mean I hate the scenario itself, I think it's totally unnecessary. The biggest success in term of (good) design for most SF character is that they don't need pages of backstory to be explained

In that essence what was the purpose of the Alpha/Zero series? Wasn't the big draw of that series to give the series some semi-decent plot behind it?

Personally I love more plot to fighters, I fail to get excited for example at Namco's stupid titles like Soul Calibur or Tekken that throw us a quick 30 second CG ending that explains nothing about the characters or their motivations unless you can somehow translate a character's personality by them grinning at the end after shredding a punching bag with a sunset in the background or some other cliche ending Namco is known for.

Count Hihihi
93th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 02:10post reply

quote:

In that essence what was the purpose of the Alpha/Zero series? Wasn't the big draw of that series to give the series some semi-decent plot behind it?

Take in consideration that with SSF2X Capcom had sold a shitload of CPS2 boards to arcade owners. They also had big plans for the third instalment in the series, so they had to do something else for the CPS2. And what's easier than sell some X ZERO GAIDEN PREQUEL to fans? It's not like one sunny day they decided to make the series to explain background info for the Street Fighter universe...

RSJ
790th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 03:12post reply

quote:
How about watching a 5 minute anime of Pac-Man eating dots and chasing ghosts to a glorious orchestrated rendition of the classic theme?

If you pair it up with another 5 minute anime of an anthropomorphisized Rubik's Cube and I think you might be on to something there...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_%28TV_series%29

RSJ
791th Post

"Re(9):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 03:20post reply

quote:

I think I noticed something with this trailer : I just don't like there being a scenario in SF. Which doesn't mean I hate the scenario itself, I think it's totally unnecessary. The biggest success in term of (good) design for most SF character is that they don't need pages of backstory to be explained : you see Honda, you understand he's a japanese sumo who is going to sit on your face. You see Dahlsim, you see a weird yogi that's going to do weird stuff. You see Makoto, you understand immediately she is going to punch you in the nuts until your grand-grandfathers scream.

Right, because one look at Cammy White and you know EVERYTHING you need to know about beret wearing camouflage thong girl, right?
Blanka is an open book, right?

I dunno, Iggy... I'm thinking maybe you've just hate nice things. :P

iggy
8550th Post

"Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 04:10post reply

quote:
Blanka is an open book, right?

The Hulk raised in the jungle. Savage². I guess the only important thing you can't understand immediately when you see him is that he also creates electricity.
If the point of Cammy was to show a military girl that's just here to show as much skin as possible, then, yeah, she's a "good" and "effective" design.
quote:
In that essence what was the purpose of the Alpha/Zero series?

Gee, I don't know... To suck? To have some of the worst designs of the whole SF series? Please don't ask me to defend a series I hate more than CFJ.
quote:
Personally I love more plot to fighters, I fail to get excited for example at Namco's stupid titles like Soul Calibur or Tekken that throw us a quick 30 second CG ending that explains nothing about the characters or their motivations unless you can somehow translate a character's personality by them grinning at the end after shredding a punching bag with a sunset in the background or some other cliche ending Namco is known for.

I like how you say you like plots then throw away the two fighting games with the biggest storyline in the entire genre (in sheer volume and quality; humorous for Tekken, serious for Calibur).
I'm actually fairly good at translating a character's personality through the huge pile of text compiled on official sites, guide books or manuals (or the games themselves, actually) explaining background, family relations, motivations and various likes and dislikes. It's not because you never read it (or because it never got translated in a language you understand) that it doesn't exist.

Gojira
2398th Post

"Re(7):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 04:29post reply

quote:

you just hate fun

This

shipoopi

Iron D
2914th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 05:23:post reply

quote:
Like Iggy said, the characters of Street Fighter are self-explanatory in their appearance. Everything there was to be said about them or about the story, happened in the games.

So, I don't get why this anime trailer that's done in a completely different style than the game gets you all hyped up. It's like some incredibly obvious and lame fan creation. Yes, Ryu and Gouki want to punch each other. And yes, Ken is there too. And wasn't this all said and done in the GAMES over ten years ago?

Yes, and now it's in movie form. And it doesn't look bad to boot. It's just simple fun, and I'm sure it's something that can be skipped if it bothers you so freakin' much.

quote:
How about watching a 5 minute anime of Pac-Man eating dots and chasing ghosts to a glorious orchestrated rendition of the classic theme? Sounds pretty damn stupid, yeah.

Honestly, if done right, this could be pretty entertaining.

quote:
My point is, that the "trailer" is worthless. How can you see any value in it? Yeah sure, it's "badass"...

Forget being "badass"...it's simply a fun idea and fun to watch.

quote:
But I'm a nicer guy than you think, so I will give you some COOL ADVICE! Go to the options/settings screen in a Street Fighter game, set the difficulty to ONE STAR and the rounds to ONE. This way you can watch the ENDING SCREENS without having to learn any special moves! GAME ON DUDES!

I'm not even sure what you're trying to get at here. Are you trying to imply that we don't actually care about playing the game based on a little praise that we gave for an animated trailer?

quote:

I like how you say you like plots then throw away the two fighting games with the biggest storyline in the entire genre (in sheer volume and quality; humorous for Tekken, serious for Calibur).

What? Volume and quality? I'm a huge fan of both Tekken and SC, but even I will admit that both Tekken and SC have some ridiculous and redundant stories.

Tekken is basically just ownership of the Mishima Zaibatsu constantly trading hands back and forth between the Mishimas while almost everyone else doesn't even really matter in the grand scheme of things.

SC can simply be boiled down to: everyone wants to get either Soul Edge, Soul Calibur or both.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Mon 7 Jul 05:30]

Amakusa
769th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 05:44post reply

quote:

There isn't a greater meaning. There isn't some kind of statement being made. There's no way anyone is going to derive any value from the movie other than to be entertained.

Yeah, you heard it right. It's meant to be entertaining-- which is something which you obviously forgot, or never realized in the first place.

Lastly, you underestimate just how popular Pac-Man is.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Ishmael
3204th Post

"Re(7):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 05:47post reply

quote:

you just hate fun

The penguin speaks the truth.

I don't like to be negative but I'm going to have to join in with the chiding chorus as well. It's a fun addition to the overall experience of the game, much like that animated opening to the DC port of KoF 98 or that absurd intro to the PSX version of Soul Edge. This isn't going to somehow subvert the core game in any way. I doubt it's even going to affect the open character SF designs since any new plotlines will be cheerfully contradicted in SF5 anyway.

Iggy
8551th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 06:20post reply

First, I want to point out I am talking about two different things here: first, how the best classical Capcom designs were self-explanatory and didn't need storylines (this includes the better characters from SF, Vampire, and several other games of this now distant era. Obviously, the games and characters with more specific designs and objectives, like Justice Gakuen or SNK games, work with a different objective).

Then, Namco:
quote:
What? Volume and quality? I'm a huge fan of both Tekken and SC, but even I will admit that both Tekken and SC have some ridiculous and redundant stories.

Let's say "ridiculous" is the other guy's fun. Kuma's scenario is as fun, interesting and complicated as the whole Mishima's family, and the William sisters drama is one of the things I look forward to the most in Tekken6. We're talking entertainment here, and I'm deeply entertained by Law's problems with his insurance company.
And as for SC, the absurd complexity of the social relationships inside Taki's village, all within characters that only started to appear in actual videogames more than 10 years after their first appearance in her scenario, was my "ridiculous".

Count Hihihi
94th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 06:40post reply

quote:

There isn't a greater meaning. There isn't some kind of statement being made. There's no way anyone is going to derive any value from the movie other than to be entertained.

Yeah, you heard it right. It's meant to be entertaining-- which is something which you obviously forgot, or never realized in the first place.

Lastly, you underestimate just how popular Pac-Man is.

I am well aware that it was meant to be entertaining, but actually it's just really lame, which is why I don't get the hype here.

Same goes for the Pac-man example. What I did was explain that if the animated trailer shows nothing but what the games have already shown, it really has no value and only retarded Naruto kids and the like will think it is "BADASS"

Do you now understand?

Grave
1086th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 06:45post reply

You seem to care about this a lot.

EddyT
749th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 06:52post reply

These animated shorts are cool and all, but all I cared about is how well this game plays. And it does this fine, so this is a great extra.

The reason why they added these animated shorts is because people care about the storyline. I personally don't mind it. It's better than nothing.

I played it in Nagoya just a few days ago... I'm just waiting for the official release in two weeks now. I hope it does well.

ONSLAUGHT
3711th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 06:56post reply

quote:
only retarded Naruto kids and the like will think it is "BADASS"

Do you now understand?

Damn! This trailer is BADASS!

Grave
1087th Post

"b'dass" , posted Mon 7 Jul 07:37post reply

quote:
I played it in Nagoya just a few days ago... I'm just waiting for the official release in two weeks now. I hope it does well.

I get to play it in August!

If it's bad I'm going to be upset with you and Reno. But I have a pretty good feeling I won't be. I'm going to stop doing laundry now and stockpile quarters.

crazymike
1460th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):b'dass" , posted Mon 7 Jul 10:57post reply

I think Ishmael hit it well, overall it is for entertainment. Let's be honest, SF isn't Shakespeare and I know the plot has contradicted itself many times, but either way some animated scenes are a nice complement to a game to give it some extra value.

I'd much prefer a "crappy" animated intro over some lame additions like a color edit mode or awkward art galleries where I fumble with a controller to zoom in on areas because I can't make anything out with a vertical image on a horizontal TV.

Maese Spt
436th Post

Gold Customer

"O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 12:13post reply

The Cafe never ceases to amaze me.

Did you guys really like this trailer so much? I mean, I don’t mind it, nor do I think it “stains” the game experience or anything, but technically is average at best. I don’t see anything to be excited about. It’s just another lame, boring, poorly animated fighting sequence, similar to hundreds and hundreds of other animus, without any soul or distinctiveness. I can understand people being glad to see Gouken in action and all, but if this is your concept of “badassness”, then I don’t know what to say.

But don’t get me wrong: I am not discussing if it’s appropriate or not. Ugliness seems to be the main theme of SFIV, so I think the trailer suits the spirit of the game perfectly after all. Sadly, I am not being sarcastic.

And regarding Tekken and Soul Edge/Calibur storylines, well… you may find them ridiculous (heck, they ARE ridiculous!), but you can’t deny that those two games have possibly the most dense background of all fighters on the market. Back on 1994 when most, if not all, beat’em up main characters were the classic “I-strive-to-be-the-best-of-the-best” Ryu clones, Tekken’s protagonist was an evil bastard (Kazuya) arguably worst than the über-evil final boss himself. Same goes for Soul Edge: the main character (Siegfried) is a parricide schizo who loses his soul to the evil power everybody else is trying to supress. And pretty much every secondary character has a bizarre and unique background too.

Now we are used to the Mishimas domestic affairs and the whole thing may not seem so innovative, but if you look at it with some perspective, you can see how Namco created something “different” with those two franchises. If you don’t enjoy the results, that’s another problem. I, for one, enjoy both stories immensely.

jUAN
4473th Post

"Re(1):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 13:07post reply

quote:

because, dog forbid, people might have different tastes and opinions!
^__________________________________^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

think well your answer

nobinobita
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 14:16post reply

quote:

You sure know how to cut to the core of things!

I think it's great and even cute how Street Fighter continues to arouse such personal reactions even out of the most seasoned, jaded, hardcore internet posting gamer. SFIV has shown me that SF means something very particular to each fan. Everyone carries their version of it in their head and its upsetting to see anything officially contradict that.

I think w/SFIV, Capcom is really aiming to get as many people as possible to buy the game (which is what every company should be worrying about if they want to survive). This means appealing to nostalgia and also grabbing new gamers that have never gotten into SF before. SFIV is Capcom's portrait of the American gamer and what they like. It will be intersting to see if Capcom is on mark with this game.

Maese Spt
439th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 14:16:post reply

quote:

Hey, don't get me wrong, that's just what I love about the Cafe! You know, years ago, when I first read Iggy saying that he loved Anakaris, I really thought he was kidding. Then I realized the true nature of this place.

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Mon 7 Jul 14:18]

kofoguz
597th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 14:16post reply

quote:
Still, I felt exactly the same way about the video as I feel about SF4, which is "I guess this looks okay, but it's also kind of lame and I just can't get excited about it."

Well its the summary of the nayers and my thoughts so I agree. Damn, Polly.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Iron D
2914th Post

"Re(1):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 15:46post reply

quote:

Did you guys really like this trailer so much? I mean, I don’t mind it, nor do I think it “stains” the game experience or anything, but technically is average at best. I don’t see anything to be excited about. It’s just another lame, boring, poorly animated fighting sequence, similar to hundreds and hundreds of other animus, without any soul or distinctiveness. I can understand people being glad to see Gouken in action and all, but if this is your concept of “badassness”, then I don’t know what to say.

Could you (or Count Hihihi for that matter) please point out where in this thread anyone was calling the anime short badass (with the exception of Onslaught's sarcastic remark), revolutionary or anything other than fun?

My whole point is that some folks here seem to be reacting to statements that were never even made. The short is a fun little addition that's nice to have. That's it. Nobody's absolutely orgazming over it.

quote:
But don’t get me wrong: I am not discussing if it’s appropriate or not. Ugliness seems to be the main theme of SFIV, so I think the trailer suits the spirit of the game perfectly after all. Sadly, I am not being sarcastic.

To each their own, I guess. I think the game itself is beautiful, while the anime is...okay looking.

quote:
And regarding Tekken and Soul Edge/Calibur storylines, well… you may find them ridiculous (heck, they ARE ridiculous!), but you can’t deny that those two games have possibly the most dense background of all fighters on the market. Back on 1994 when most, if not all, beat’em up main characters were the classic “I-strive-to-be-the-best-of-the-best” Ryu clones, Tekken’s protagonist was an evil bastard (Kazuya) arguably worst than the über-evil final boss himself.

I'm not sure what you mean by having a "dense" storyline, but I never said that I didn't like Tekken's story. In fact I love it and certainly do agree with your assessment on Kazuya, but there are definitely flaws. It even seems as though Namco is putting less and less effort into Tekken's story as the series progress. Basically everyone who was in T5 has the same story going into T6, and then there's the fact that some characters who used to have more relevance and have been reduced in importance (see: Paul)

Again, while enjoyable in it's absurdity, Tekken's storyline does basically boil down to the Mishima Zaibatsu constantly changing hands between the Mishimas, with just about every other character not having any real significance in the overall big picture.

quote:
Same goes for Soul Edge: the main character (Siegfried) is a parricide schizo who loses his soul to the evil power everybody else is trying to supress. And pretty much every secondary character has a bizarre and unique background too.

Again, I love the story for the SC series, but it does just boil down to a big race for Soul Edge/Calibur with most character's storylines not really changing much from game to game. It seems like since Calibur 1, all of the returning characters have had the same story in every game since.

Oh, and I should add that Sigfried wasn't the main character of Soul Edge, Mitsurugi was. And Mitsurugi cerainly fits the "stereotypical fighting game main character" mold, although he's more likable than most.

Er.....

Maese Spt
439th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 16:20post reply

I love to have enough free time at the office to partake on idle Internet arguments!

quote:

Could you (or Count Hihihi for that matter) please point out where in this thread anyone was calling the anime short badass (with the exception of Onslaught's sarcastic remark), revolutionary or anything other than fun?

My whole point is that some folks here seem to be reacting to statements that were never even made. The short is a fun little addition that's nice to have. That's it. Nobody's absolutely orgazming over it.

I am tempted to perform a Messatsu quote here, here but I will restrain. Scroll up a little and, around the middle of the thread, Gekiganger V entitled his post “badass animated trailer”; from then half of the posters went “OMG, this is wonderful what’s not to love?”. The whole thread had "badass animated trailer" as a title for like two days.

But as said before, this is a matter of different tastes and standards, so there is not much we can discuss here. You have your vision and I have mine, that’s all. I’m glad you are enjoying what you see; I wish I could say the same. I really wish :(

And about the Namco hijack:

I do agree that Tekken and Soul Calibur’s storylines have gotten kind of lame lately (along with the games itselves, I guess). But they were pretty good at the beginning… well, as good as a fighting game storyline can get, huh. Actually, I already forgot why are we discussing this on the first place.

And yes, I also thought Mitsurugi was the main character of Soul Edge, until I read some time ago some stuff from Namco saying that Siegfried was the leading guy all along. Anyway, while I concur that Mitsurugi is somewhat archetypical, I wouldn’t exactly say he’s your regular Ryu clone, so to speak. But maybe it’s just me.

EddyT
751th Post

"STREET FIGHTER, YEAHHHHHHH" , posted Mon 7 Jul 18:05:post reply

Grave: I'm pretty sure you will like it. If you like any of the games from the original SF2 line, it's a very refined version of it. I hope you will be able to play it in late August, because I will probably be broke in early August and I might not be able to make it out there (except for Summer Sonic, but I will be at the venues all day for that).

The art direction may not be for everyone, but the facial expressions and the animation are some of the best I've seen in any game, fighting game or not. It's easy to overlook that, especially when most people have only seen screenshots and videos of the game. After playing this game, it made games like Tekken 6 and VF 5 seem a bit lifeless and stiff in comparison.

This game is BADASS!!!!!

[this message was edited by EddyT on Mon 7 Jul 18:06]

Iron D
2915th Post

"Re(3):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 18:29post reply

quote:

I am tempted to perform a Messatsu quote here, here but I will restrain. Scroll up a little and, around the middle of the thread, Gekiganger V entitled his post “badass animated trailer”; from then half of the posters went “OMG, this is wonderful what’s not to love?”. The whole thread had "badass animated trailer" as a title for like two days.

*Smacks head* Dammit! This is what I get for a) never reading the message titles and b) only looking back through the thread as far back as just before this argument startted. You're right, some folks DID call it badass, and now I look like a fool.

I'll still say that I don't really think the trailer was badass still, but it was fun. And that seems to be the opinion of most of those that have bothered to comment on it at all.

And about the Namco hijack:

quote:
I do agree that Tekken and Soul Calibur’s storylines have gotten kind of lame lately (along with the games itselves, I guess). But they were pretty good at the beginning… well, as good as a fighting game storyline can get, huh. Actually, I already forgot why are we discussing this on the first place.

... so did I.

quote:
And yes, I also thought Mitsurugi was the main character of Soul Edge, until I read some time ago some stuff from Namco saying that Siegfried was the leading guy all along.

Hard to argue with official word from the creators, but at the very least this sounds like retconning, as there was nothing to signify Sigfried being a main characer in Soul Edge, and alot of things to signify Mitsu being the main character. I'm talking artwork, story, and general attention given to the character.

quote:
Anyway, while I concur that Mitsurugi is somewhat archetypical, I wouldn’t exactly say he’s your regular Ryu clone, so to speak. But maybe it’s just me.

Well, I guess proving that the sword is mightier than the gun isn't really the same as "finding stronger opponents", but that seems to be what Mitsu's story has devolved to.

I guess this Namco tangent is kind of pointless since neither of us can even remember why or how it was brought up, so on my end of the conversation I'll just drop it.

Er.....

E5150
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 18:45post reply

quote:

...nothing to signify Sigfried being a main characer in Soul Edge...

Apart from him being the new wielder of the Soul Edge.

Time Mage
2692th Post

"Re(5):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 19:11post reply

quote:

...Which is known in the next game, Soul Calibur. In Soul Edge, everyone gets or destroys the sword in their ending. But nothing states which ending is the true one (and in fact, the true one is a combination of Taki's Sophitia's and Sigfried's).

Iron D
2916th Post

"Re(6):O_o" , posted Mon 7 Jul 19:18post reply

quote:

...Which is known in the next game, Soul Calibur. In Soul Edge, everyone gets or destroys the sword in their ending. But nothing states which ending is the true one (and in fact, the true one is a combination of Taki's Sophitia's and Sigfried's).

Beat me to it.

Er.....

Toxico
4415th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Badass animated trailer" , posted Mon 7 Jul 19:31post reply

quote:

I'm actually fairly good at translating a character's personality through the huge pile of text compiled on official sites, guide books or manuals (or the games themselves, actually) explaining background, family relations, motivations and various likes and dislikes.

Seconded

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

E5150
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):O_o" , posted Tue 8 Jul 00:36post reply

quote:

The unlockable Siegfried! with the SE is a pretty big hint.

Ishmael
3208th Post

"Re(1):b'dass" , posted Tue 8 Jul 00:50post reply

quote:
I'm going to stop doing laundry now and stockpile quarters.

Nothing completes the arcade experience like having that creepy guy who smells lurking around so I'm glad to hear you're voluntarily taking up that post just in case an actual weirdo doesn't show up. Be sure and add to the discomfort level by loudly obsessing about the female characters.

An English subtitled version of the trailer has popped up over at Gametrailers. I don't know if anyone really needed to have shoryken typed out at the bottom of the screen when Ryu screams "Shoryuken!" but it's still a nice thing to have.

RSJ
792th Post

"Re(1):STREET FIGHTER, YEAHHHHHHH" , posted Tue 8 Jul 04:43post reply

OK.
New perspective.

Has any OTHER street fighter game had it's own animated intro or cinema comparable or superior to the one that has been posted in this thread?

Because my recollection of the series says "NO".

And considering that CAPCOM has a history of producing some of the greatest animated shorts in video gaming history, I'm VERY excited to see that STREET FIGHTER has finally got it's chance to shine after all this time.

HAYATO
875th Post

"STREET FIGHTER, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" , posted Tue 8 Jul 05:50post reply

quote:
OK.
New perspective.

Has any OTHER street fighter game had it's own animated intro or cinema comparable or superior to the one that has been posted in this thread?

And considering that CAPCOM has a history of producing some of the greatest animated shorts in video gaming history, I'm VERY excited to see that STREET FIGHTER has finally got it's chance to shine after all this time.

New perspective.

Has any OTHER street fighter game been in need of any animated intro or cinema like the one that has been posted in this thread to draw the interest of gamers?

And considering that CAPCOM has a history of producing some of the greatest, best-selling video games in video gaming history, I'm VERY dissapointed to see that STREET FIGHTER has finally got to use those commercial tricks in order to have a chance to shine after all this time.

But the trailer is still better than "SF: Generations" OAV. Did that Ryu-Akuma parental relationship become canon in the end?

ONSLAUGHT
3714th Post

"Re(1):STREET FIGHTER, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" , posted Tue 8 Jul 07:59post reply

quote:
OK.
New perspective.

New perspective.

Has any OTHER street fighter game been in need of any animated intro or cinema like the one that has been posted in this thread to draw the interest of gamers?

And considering that CAPCOM has a history of producing some of the greatest, best-selling video games in video gaming history, I'm VERY dissapointed to see that STREET FIGHTER has finally got to use those commercial tricks in order to have a chance to shine after all this time.

But the trailer is still better than "SF: Generations" OAV. Did that Ryu-Akuma parental relationship become canon in the end?

Come on, I'm pretty sure you can skip the goddamn cinema, why bitch about something extra? It's not like they're sacrificing gameplay or a character slot for this... besides, that trailer was BADASS!

Iron D
2917th Post

"Re(7):O_o" , posted Tue 8 Jul 09:16post reply

quote:

The unlockable Siegfried! with the SE is a pretty big hint.

It's just a hidden character. That's really no indicator as to whether or not Sigfried is the main character.

Er.....

RSJ
793th Post

"Re(2):STREET FIGHTER, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" , posted Thu 10 Jul 08:49post reply

quote:
Come on, I'm pretty sure you can skip the goddamn cinema, why bitch about something extra? It's not like they're sacrificing gameplay or a character slot for this...

Iron D
2924th Post

"Seth Intro" , posted Mon 14 Jul 20:03:post reply

Originally posted by Ultima on Shoryuken.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8JhrD3wguk

Apparently the Urien/Gill like attacks of Seth were only one part of his moveset. According to whoever originally posted this (Ultima got it from CapcomUnity, who might have gotten it from a poster called Azrael) he has moves from a bunch of different characters. You can see from the vid that he has Dhalsim's crouching fierce, but it's mentioned that he also has the Shoruken, Sonic boom (which he can throw two of consecutively), SPD (in certain situations) as well as Gill/Urien's crouching fierce and a variation of their flying knee attack.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Mon 14 Jul 20:19]

Digitalboy
551th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Seth Intro" , posted Mon 14 Jul 21:10post reply

Hmmm...

quote:
Originally posted by Ultima on Shoryuken.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8JhrD3wguk

Apparently the Urien/Gill like attacks of Seth were only one part of his moveset. According to whoever originally posted this (Ultima got it from CapcomUnity, who might have gotten it from a poster called Azrael) he has moves from a bunch of different characters. You can see from the vid that he has Dhalsim's crouching fierce, but it's mentioned that he also has the Shoruken, Sonic boom (which he can throw two of consecutively), SPD (in certain situations) as well as Gill/Urien's crouching fierce and a variation of their flying knee attack.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Grave
1100th Post

"Re(1):Seth Intro" , posted Tue 15 Jul 05:03post reply

He is now somehow more and less interesting to me at the same time. I must know more! They had to know how people would react seeing Gill/Urien moves... I wonder if he has other SF3 character moves?

Count Hihihi
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Seth Intro" , posted Tue 15 Jul 07:50post reply

I wonder if he has T.Hawk's j.lk ?!

Just a Person
1188th Post

"Choose a character for home versions" , posted Tue 15 Jul 22:15post reply

Yes, Capcom is conducting a poll to choose other returning characters for SFIV's PS3, X360 and PC versions.

Options include Cammy, Ibuki, Sakura, Dan, Fei Long, Dee Jay, Hugo and T.Hawk. I don't know how many of the most voted characters will be put into the SFIV home versions (but I hope it's more than one character).

It's worthy noting that Capcom has already made a similar poll before and Dudley won; yet, he's not in this poll. Could this mean he's already a SFIV exclusive for home consoles, or maybe people at Capcom just don't like him?

Anyway, I hope Cammy, Ibuki and Sakura end up as the most voted fighters. Come on, SFIV needs more women!!

GPA
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Choose a character for home versions" , posted Wed 16 Jul 01:11post reply

Wait, why are Dan and Fei Long on that list? They've already publicized sketches of them for the game, and while I know thats completely different than actually announcing them, it would seem odd to show their dev art, talk about them (though, with out using their names because they might "not" be who they appear) in interviews and blogs and then turn around and not include them in the final version.

I sincerely hope Capcom USA isn't having this poll just to trump up hype when they already know full well who is going to make the cut and rig the poll in the end.... though that wouldn't surprise me at all either.

quote:
Yes, Capcom is conducting a poll to choose other returning characters for SFIV's PS3, X360 and PC versions.

Options include Cammy, Ibuki, Sakura, Dan, Fei Long, Dee Jay, Hugo and T.Hawk. I don't know how many of the most voted characters will be put into the SFIV home versions (but I hope it's more than one character).

It's worthy noting that Capcom has already made a similar poll before and Dudley won; yet, he's not in this poll. Could this mean he's already a SFIV exclusive for home consoles, or maybe people at Capcom just don't like him?

Anyway, I hope Cammy, Ibuki and Sakura end up as the most voted fighters. Come on, SFIV needs more women!!