The new SNK collections - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2710 Views )

exodus
4088th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 07:38post reply

anyone else think these are pretty well done? by contrast to the recent KOF ports and higher-profile games, the World Heroes, Fatal Fury, and other collections have really nice extras, palette swapping, arranged BGM in some cases, and other stuff. anyone else played around with them much?

I have the AoF, Fatal Fury (battle archives 1 and 2), and the World Heroes one. They're all quite excellent! I can only hope it's the same team doing the Arcade Classics Collection, instead of Ignition...

Replies:

Toxico
4395th Post

"Re(1):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 08:00post reply

quote:
Anyone else played around with them much?

They are mostly what me & pals play, but I can only access Orochi hen, gorgeous and battle archive I. For what I understand, the pre world heroes collections have 2 versions, ones with practice mode and others without it; but aside from that little niusance they are mostly enjoyable; arrange / normal for both soundtrack and graphics is nice, my only grip would have been if they had included official artwork for the games, or the sound test to include the voice acting.

They beat by far the Street Fighter Anniversary editions :P

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

Grave
1057th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 08:25post reply

quote:
I can only hope it's the same team doing the Arcade Classics Collection, instead of Ignition...

All signs point to the Arcade Classics collection being terrible junk unlike these. Oh well... I thought it was going to save me some money over VC, etc.

EddyT
708th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 08:29post reply

quote:
I can only hope it's the same team doing the Arcade Classics Collection, instead of Ignition...

All signs point to the Arcade Classics collection being terrible junk unlike these. Oh well... I thought it was going to save me some money over VC, etc.

Unfortunately, that's what I heard too. Especially the PS2 version. Massive slowdown on many titles and really bad unlockable extras, like unlocking movelists for characters.

It's odd how some ports will be solid, like the Garou MOTW port for PS2, yet there's a bad collection thrown in here and there.

Zepy
1467th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 08:55post reply

All I know is I had the Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii and it is impossible to get the game controls to work the way you want them to, even though the game offers 6 different control modes.

Reminded me of why I always hated SNK's home ports.

badoor
31th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 09:11post reply

I think they are good now. It did start out really badly with last blade (from what I heard), the first one that was emulated rather than ported like garou MOTW. They did improved gradually with each new release.

I would like to get the LB collection since now it has the SNK the best bargain label, just want to inquire the wise customers of the cafe a bit about the degree of its problems. It would fit with my KOF98UM import.

As far as extras, I never dabbled much with the palette swapping maybe due to my nostalgic perception of the games,maybe. I am mostly interested in Arranged BGM and artwork gallery, maybe because I can't imagine anything more than that. The separate practice mode is a tad irritating but I'm ok with it.

I am getting the new Arcade classics vol.1 that came out late april. From early reviews it's decent emulation except for the fighters (Kof 94/SS1/FF1/AOF1 etc) but I don't care cause I already have them on the other collections.

Looking forward, the Samurai Spirits collection is definitely one I want to have but I am sort of confused between getting the early Jap version or the late US version with the extra SS 0/V special. Not much interested in the sunsoft collection though. I would probably skip it as I did with world heroes gorgeous.

Just want to apologize about the long post as I am currently in super bored message board stalking mode.

Grave
1058th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 09:12post reply

quote:

I have no issue with SNK's more recent home ports... well, there's NGBC, but let's not talk about NGBC. The collections exodus mentioned are quite nice. The problem is when they outsource their collections or ports to shitty developers who don't know what to do with them.

Toxico
4397th Post

"Re(5):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 10:10:post reply

quote:

I always thought that it was funny, after all; what I remember from the neo geo cd controls and neo geo pocket, was that the controls where so tight, that at times I even thought that the damn pad was plugged to my brain.

Olé

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 11 May 10:11]

exodus
4089th Post

"Re(6):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 16:43post reply

I'm going to check some of the older ones, but these ones done by NGX - whatever that is - seem pretty good. The KOF ones are not, they're by Ignition, or someone they commissioned - and the VC ones are emulated by D4E.

The variation in quality is clearly because they're using different groups for different ports. It'll be interesting to see who did the arcade classics one...

EddyT
709th Post

"Re(7):The new SNK collections" , posted Sun 11 May 22:38post reply

quote:
I'm going to check some of the older ones, but these ones done by NGX - whatever that is - seem pretty good. The KOF ones are not, they're by Ignition, or someone they commissioned - and the VC ones are emulated by D4E.

The variation in quality is clearly because they're using different groups for different ports. It'll be interesting to see who did the arcade classics one...

My friend back in the States has raved about how good the Wii VC ports are. He's the same one who told me about the bad recent SNK Arcade Classics port for PS2.

Makes me worry about the upcoming Samurai Spirits collection for PS2 and PSP...

exodus
4090th Post

"Re(8):The new SNK collections" , posted Mon 12 May 03:16post reply

quote:
My friend back in the States has raved about how good the Wii VC ports are. He's the same one who told me about the bad recent SNK Arcade Classics port for PS2.

Makes me worry about the upcoming Samurai Spirits collection for PS2 and PSP...

odd...I heard the VC ports were messed up? Chaz said so, but I don't remember why! Chazzzzzz!

Amakusa
753th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):The new SNK collections" , posted Mon 12 May 04:26post reply

quote:

I always thought that it was funny, after all; what I remember from the neo geo cd controls and neo geo pocket, was that the controls where so tight, that at times I even thought that the damn pad was plugged to my brain.

Olé

God I remember being able to do the Geese Pretzel in my sleep on the NGPC.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Juan
4459th Post

"Re(9):The new SNK collections" , posted Mon 12 May 06:02post reply

quote:

but I don't remember why!

because the ports didn't have scan lines

oh wait wrong person

think well your answer

Burning Ranger
1563th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The new SNK collections" , posted Mon 12 May 07:41post reply

quote:
anyone else think these are pretty well done? by contrast to the recent KOF ports and higher-profile games, the World Heroes, Fatal Fury, and other collections have really nice extras, palette swapping, arranged BGM in some cases, and other stuff. anyone else played around with them much?

I have the AoF, Fatal Fury (battle archives 1 and 2), and the World Heroes one. They're all quite excellent! I can only hope it's the same team doing the Arcade Classics Collection, instead of Ignition...

I'm glad SNK USA released Fatal Fury Collection 2 so now I don't have to rely on my Saturn for my RBS fix. Games play well on my PS2 though it seems so obvious the games are emulated in some way (sound seems to be handled differently).

I never had interest in the other recent "collections" though I may get World Heroes.

Then there's the American KOF collections (00/01 and 02/03). I guess it was good they did that.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Iron D
2874th Post

"Re(2):The new SNK collections" , posted Mon 12 May 14:21post reply

I've got the collections for Metal Slug and both FF ones and am very eagerly awaiting the SamSho one.

I love these collections. Haven't had any problems with them myself. It's just really nice to have these games without having to shell out for an actual Neo-Geo.

Having recently purchased FF BA2 and getting to play RB1 for the first time (I had played RB2 before), I had no idea that cpu Mary was so annoying and cheap.

So since when has there been a port of MotW for PS2?

Er.....

Toxico
4397th Post

"Re(3):The new SNK collections" , posted Mon 12 May 14:43post reply

quote:

If I do remember correctly, it is the first game along with the last blade compilation; I don't think that this has US release though.

EddyT
710th Post

"Re(4):The new SNK collections" , posted Mon 12 May 17:43post reply

quote:

If I do remember correctly, it is the first game along with the last blade compilation; I don't think that this has US release though.

No, MotW still is a US Dreamcast exclusive. No word on if they'll ever bring it to the States.

exodus
4091th Post

"Re(5):The new SNK collections" , posted Tue 13 May 10:16post reply

quote:

No, MotW still is a US Dreamcast exclusive. No word on if they'll ever bring it to the States.

You're only saying it didn't come out in the U.S. right? Cause it sure did come out in Japan.

By the way - they might not bring Fuun Supercombo out here, out of all of them... So keep an eye peeled toward the end of the month - it's getting a "best" release for 2,079円 on the 29th.

chazumaru
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):The new SNK collections" , posted Tue 13 May 19:53post reply

quote:

odd...I heard the VC ports were messed up? Chaz said so, but I don't remember why! Chazzzzzz!

What? No no no. The D4E ports have no technical issues that i've heard of.
D4E is using the European version in Europe, though. Hence 50Hz, hence slower versions of the games. This might be what I mentioned.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

EddyT
712th Post

"Re(6):The new SNK collections" , posted Tue 13 May 20:08:post reply

quote:

You're only saying it didn't come out in the U.S. right? Cause it sure did come out in Japan.

Yes, that's what I meant. I have that JPN PS2 version, so I know it's not exclusive only to DC worldwide. It's just gonna be that way for US people w/o a Dreamcast and don't know anything about importing games.

Egnlish is haerd.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Tue 13 May 20:10]

jiji
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):The new SNK collections" , posted Fri 23 May 01:00post reply

Arcade Classics Collection has some pretty nasty uneven scaling problems. This isn't even a low-res/high-res thing... the games are just blocky and pixelated-looking, and you can see it in all the backgrounds.

And the menus are annoying. You can't confirm any option in any of the menus without saving to the memory card each time, which takes 5-8 seconds. Gwarg.

exodus
4097th Post

"Re(8):The new SNK collections" , posted Fri 23 May 05:42post reply

quote:
Arcade Classics Collection has some pretty nasty uneven scaling problems. This isn't even a low-res/high-res thing... the games are just blocky and pixelated-looking, and you can see it in all the backgrounds.

And the menus are annoying. You can't confirm any option in any of the menus without saving to the memory card each time, which takes 5-8 seconds. Gwarg.

yeah, I concur. They should keep using that NGX company, whatever that is. They did a good job!!

Ishmael
3171th Post

"Re(9):The new SNK collections" , posted Fri 30 May 22:46post reply

I'm glad this thread is here to explain why I was able to enjoy the Fatal Fury collections so much but found the SNK Arcade Classics collection to be so lacking. True, there are a great deal more games being presented in SNKAC and I'm sure it's hard to work up much enthusiasm for re-packaging a game like Sengoku. But when the clunky and badly converted Midway Arcade Treasures 2 -a compilation that features three games in which you can eat human beings- feels more complete you know there's something wrong.