Death Note live action movie - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2456 Views )

Variable Savior
417th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 14:04post reply

I've been watching the Death Note anime series as it's aired on US television - I have no idea how long it is but I guess it's pretty far along. I discovered this evening that a local theater is apparently playing the live action Death Note film a couple times this month and and I must admit that I'm curious.

Thing is, I'm sure the movie isn't as good as the anime and I don't want to spoil the series by seeing a 'summerized' movie version in advance. Can anyone confirm or deny whether the live action film 'gives away' the series eventual ending?

Blood marks heaven's path

Replies:

D`Cloud
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 14:09post reply

Nope. nothing important is spoiled.
I highly recommend not to watch it.

http://www.dustinuy.com

catalyst
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 14:24post reply

quote:
I've been watching the Death Note anime series as it's aired on US television - I have no idea how long it is but I guess it's pretty far along. I discovered this evening that a local theater is apparently playing the live action Death Note film a couple times this month and and I must admit that I'm curious.

Thing is, I'm sure the movie isn't as good as the anime and I don't want to spoil the series by seeing a 'summerized' movie version in advance. Can anyone confirm or deny whether the live action film 'gives away' the series eventual ending?

You saw it too? I thought I was the only one that saw that on the big screen when I went to go watch Iron Man.

Now granted i'm not a fan of death note nor interested in it but thats a sudden up coming bit that came out of nowhere as much as like a pokemon movie or power ranger movie.

This song is so true

Variable Savior
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 15:39post reply

quote:
You saw it too? I thought I was the only one that saw that on the big screen when I went to go watch Iron Man.

Now granted i'm not a fan of death note nor interested in it but thats a sudden up coming bit that came out of nowhere as much as like a pokemon movie or power ranger movie.

That is weird. You're not from WNY are you?

I think the DN movie is actually a couple years old - not sure why they're airing it now

Blood marks heaven's path

Maou
1422th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 15:43post reply

quote:

I think the DN movie is actually a couple years old - not sure why they're airing it now

Yeah, it was out in summer 06, I remember. I didn't go see it, but seems like most everyone else did...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Pollyanna
2499th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 16:18:post reply

I thought it was wretchedly bad. Light was awful AND ugly. Like there aren't enough hot guys in Japan? I thought "Well, I'm sure he's a good actor", but no. On the upside (?) L was okay and Kaga from Iron Chef played Mr. Yagami (although not especially well).

On a more positive note, I thought the way they ended the story in the second movie worked out surprisingly well.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Sun 4 May 20:46]

Nekros
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 22:33post reply

quote:
I thought it was wretchedly bad. Light was awful AND ugly. Like there aren't enough hot guys in Japan? I thought "Well, I'm sure he's a good actor", but no. On the upside (?) L was okay and Kaga from Iron Chef played Mr. Yagami (although not especially well).

On a more positive note, I thought the way they ended the story in the second movie worked out surprisingly well.

Yeah, I felt the same way too. Light is horrible in the movie, but the worst part is giving the series an extra character (played by "the teacher" from My Boss My Hero drama) who is totally a mess in the storyline.
I liked the end of second movie, a sort of payback from a certain point of view ^^

D`Cloud
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Death Note live action movie" , posted Sun 4 May 23:01post reply

quote:

lol. It's just basically bad.

catalyst
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Death Note live action movie" , posted Mon 5 May 01:29post reply

quote:

That is weird. You're not from WNY are you?

Nope, straight out of Houston Texas.

I do agree as well that it is quite odd that it is being aired now as well but oh well I suppose, if the fans are wanting it I guess I suppose that isn't so bad.

This song is so true

Mokona
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Death Note live action movie" , posted Tue 6 May 00:29post reply

quote:
Nope. nothing important is spoiled.
I highly recommend not to watch it.

Heh, I saw the trailers for that a couple years back (when I watched the anime), and I thought, the acting (the little you see in the trailer) was horrendous, and the visual effects (like in most Japanese features) were fugly, I mean, ps1 ugly!
I'm glad I didn't take the time to actually watch it.

I always wondered how Japan can't make cool visual effects in movies for shit (I count Squenix's stuff out). Even Korea makes kick-ass effects.

Blah!

THe DRooGo
295th Post

Copper Customer

"L change the world?" , posted Tue 6 May 05:58post reply

quote:

Yep that right.
Does anyone know where can I download "L change the world"???

O ra o ra!
H.Y.A.L.M.A.R.I.

makatiel
209th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):L change the world?" , posted Wed 7 May 15:03post reply

The ending of the 2 part movie was 1000 times better than the ending of the comic though.

The comic becomes a piece of shit after book 7 or 8 after you know what.

D`Cloud
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):L change the world?" , posted Wed 7 May 20:00post reply

quote:
The ending of the 2 part movie was 1000 times better than the ending of the comic though.

for me the ending was ok.. not great. could've been better. but i dont think after the you know what the manga started to stink

Olivier Hague
102th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):L change the world?" , posted Thu 8 May 09:46:post reply

quote:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Yeah, if you disregard the fact L's plan was quite flawed...
How was he supposed to know when to drop "dead"? Good thing Rem killed Watari. Not exactly predictable, but...
And of course, the plan assumes the Shinigami wouldn't be around anymore after that... Did L know Rem would die? Nope, he didn't...
The movies "cheat" quite a bit, on top of being... well, bad.

Also, L wasn't the kind of guy to sacrifice himself anyway, in the original manga. Risk his life, yes. But sacrifice it for Great Justice? That's another (far less interesting) character.

End of Spoiler

quote:

Hrmmmmno.

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Thu 8 May 09:55]

Grave
1056th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Death Note live action movie" , posted Thu 8 May 13:48post reply

I wouldn't say the second half is terrible, but I do think it's much weaker than the first half.

Makatiel
210th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):L change the world?" , posted Thu 8 May 17:35post reply

quote:

quote:

Yeah, if you disregard the fact L's plan was quite flawed...
How was he supposed to know when to drop "dead"? Good thing Rem killed Watari. Not exactly predictable, but...
And of course, the plan assumes the Shinigami wouldn't be around anymore after that... Did L know Rem would die? Nope, he didn't...
The movies "cheat" quite a bit, on top of being... well, bad.

Also, L wasn't the kind of guy to sacrifice himself anyway, in the original manga. Risk his life, yes. But sacrifice it for Great Justice? That's another (far less interesting) character.

End of Spoiler

Well, if you really want to go that far, you might as well say (not really a spoiler, but...):

Light is a goddamn moron and the whole damn series is contrived and "cheats".

If he really wanted to have no evidence and never be found, he could've just written names and then burned each page immediately after. The pages never run out, so why keep them and the evidence just lying around? Getting found out would have been an impossibility if Light actually thought about the situation more.

The entire comic is flawed because the characters are actually not that smart. I'm fine with that actually. I was never trying to find holes because that's not the point of the comic or the movies.

End of Spoiler

quote:
quote:

Hrmmmmno.

Hrrmmmyes.

The comic becomes a POS not because the plot falls apart (which it does) but rather because Light's rivals are totally uninteresting. Both Mel and Nii are shitty, shallow versions of L. Neither of them do a single interesting thing the whole time. L at least busted out the handcuffs, played tennis, was an otaku-ish fan of MisaMisa, locked up Light, etc. What did Mel or Nii have or do that made you smile or even think, ooh, clever? Bah, they were both rubbish.

End of Spoiler

Makatiel
211th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):L change the world?" , posted Thu 8 May 17:40post reply

I wonder why my previous post has such a small font...

Just to save your eyes, I'll post what was in the spoilers again:

Light is a goddamn moron and the whole damn series is contrived and "cheats".

If he really wanted to have no evidence and never be found, he could've just written names and then burned each page immediately after. The pages never run out, so why keep them and the evidence just lying around? Getting found out would have been an impossibility if Light actually thought about the situation more.

The entire comic is flawed because the characters are actually not that smart. I'm fine with that actually. I was never trying to find holes because that's not the point of the comic or the movies.

End of Spoiler

The comic becomes a POS not because the plot falls apart (which it does) but rather because Light's rivals are totally uninteresting. Both Mel and Nii are shitty, shallow versions of L. Neither of them do a single interesting thing the whole time. L at least busted out the handcuffs, played tennis, was an otaku-ish fan of MisaMisa, locked up Light, etc. What did Mel or Nii have or do that made you smile or even think, ooh, clever?

I can't think of a single thing.

Bah. They were both rubbish.

End of Spoiler

Olivier Hague
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):L change the world?" , posted Thu 8 May 22:14:post reply

More Death Note spoilers...

I really don't see why you think Light should have burned the pages... It's not like he got in any kind of trouble because of that in the story, right? Heck, for all we know, maybe he was burning the pages... Anyway, Light was obviously getting rid of the detached pages (he wouldn't want somebody else to see Ryuk), and he simply didn't want the notebook itself to be found at all.
And if you think trying to find the holes wasn't the point of the comic, I don't know what to tell you... What was the point of the comic?

As for Near and Mello (since that's their names), the ending of the manga (Matsuda's theory) implies a possible reversal of roles, and that's interesting to me. And I'd say Mello stealing a Death Note along the way should count for something, for example?

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Thu 8 May 22:32]

Makatiel
212th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):L change the world?" , posted Fri 9 May 00:50post reply

The main point of the comic was to compare the rival philosophies presented by the two sides.

How far is Light willing to go? What happens when you have that kind of power?

If you thought the main point was to find holes, then I think we were reading very different comics.

Iggy
8483th Post

"Re(7):L change the world?" , posted Fri 9 May 01:08post reply

quote:
The main point of the comic was to compare the rival philosophies presented by the two sides.

If you were looking for philosophical discourse in a Jump manga that didn't even bother to think about the law, about punishment, about grief or even about death itself, then I think you were indeed reading a very different comics.

I guess you would be reading Agatha Christie's novels for the deep understanding of the impact of WW2 in Belgium they provide.

Makatiel
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):L change the world?" , posted Fri 9 May 09:32post reply

quote:
If you were looking for philosophical discourse in a Jump manga that didn't even bother to think about the law, about punishment, about grief or even about death itself, then I think you were indeed reading a very different comics.

Actually, almost all philosophy purposely ignores the details in order to address the broader issue. When Socrates spoke about the Forms of Love and Beauty, he made almost no reference to individual lovers or to the consequences of falling in love, etc. How much did Descartes actually discuss science and concrete reality? None.

I guess not only were we reading different comics, but we were reading very different books in school too.

Olivier_Hague
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):L change the world?" , posted Fri 9 May 10:00post reply

C'mon...
First episode: Light is willing to kill criminals.
Second episode: Light is willing to kill those who try to stop him.
There. We were already done for Light at that point.

Makatiel
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Fri 9 May 13:44post reply

quote:
C'mon...
First episode: Light is willing to kill criminals.
Second episode: Light is willing to kill those who try to stop him.
There. We were already done for Light at that point.

There were more steps than that obviously.

killing his girlfriend... pretty much letting his father die...

End of Spoiler

In terms of sympathy for the character though, which is what I think you are trying to point out, I don't disagree. I don't think most reasonable people "like" Light.

But the comic definitely attempts to put the question to the reader: should I be rooting for him or hoping that he gets caught?

And don't forget how the series ends.

It's a sympathetic ending for Light, not one that denounces his actions.

End of Spoiler

Again, we can disagree on what we thought the point of the comic was. That's fine. But I will admit that I'm surprised that you thought finding holes in their plans was the "main" point. If anything, for me, it was just a little side diversion.

And I also think I wasn't clear on why burning pages would've been effective. If Light was really worried about the Death Note being discovered, he could've just laminated the cover and carried it around with him. In fact, he could've just used it as a notebook for all his classes (as long as he didn't write any names in it). Or else, he could have cut it into a tiny pocket notebook (1/10th the size) and burn the rest. It's really not that hard to make sure that it never gets discovered or found.

And if he just used it regularly, he would not give a damn at all being surveillanced, because there is nothing suspicious about a boy writing in his own notebook. In fact, he would never have to approach his father and say that he wanted to help (to attempt to discover who L is). Why would he care at all? It would be much easier for him to just stay low.

The entire comic would unravel if he didn't act so stupidly.

Olivier Hague
105th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Fri 9 May 17:33:post reply

quote:

Did I miss a step? What I wrote above is true, and the rest of the series simply illustrated that.

And no, I wasn't trying to point out anything in terms of "sympathy for the character". I was just saying your questions ("How far is Light willing to go? What happens when you have that kind of power?") simply aren't at the core of the series. The former is answered in the first two episodes, and Near briefly mentions the latter in one of the last episodes. That's about it.

quote:
the comic definitely attempts to put the question to the reader: should I be rooting for him or hoping that he gets caught?

If he gets caught, the series probably ends, and that's a bummer. Apart from that? I don't think so...
Readers who think they should be rooting for him as a character are probably a bit too easily impressed by pose-striking bishônen (best case).

As for the end of the series...

How is it "sympathetic", really? Or perhaps you're talking about the terrible ending to the TV series? They also changed L's death quite a bit...

End of Spoiler

quote:
If Light was really worried about the Death Note being discovered, he could've just laminated the cover and carried it around with him.

(I probably wouldn't risk doing that to the magical notebook that never runs out of pages, but let's say Light would...)
After L learned about the notebook, would a cover-less notebook really be any less suspicious?
And before that...

quote:
In fact, he could've just used it as a notebook for all his classes (as long as he didn't write any names in it).

Yeah, and as long as nobody else touches it. Ever.

quote:
And if he just used it regularly, he would not give a damn at all being surveillanced, because there is nothing suspicious about a boy writing in his own notebook.

Yup, until L inevitably says "Watari, could you get me that notebook he likes so much?"
If Light really keeps it on him at all times, it's suspicious. If he doesn't, L touches the notebook, and shit happens.

quote:
In fact, he would never have to approach his father and say that he wanted to help (to attempt to discover who L is). Why would he care at all?

Because of his god complex (established in episode 1)?
(in the manga, L approached Light)

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Fri 9 May 17:40]

Iggy
8485th Post

"Re(9):L change the world?" , posted Fri 9 May 20:57post reply

quote:
Actually, almost all philosophy

You must have been reading a different post.

catalyst
411th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Sat 10 May 00:09post reply

quote:

In terms of sympathy for the character though, which is what I think you are trying to point out, I don't disagree. I don't think most reasonable people "like" Light.

After reading much of the spoilers here since I'm taking the abridged cliff notes of death note through here, I'd say I like Light provided he doesn't have that stupid god complex that he has about him. However that won't be possible.

Then again I like Frank Castle as a super hero so I'd fit in that unreasonable crowd.

This song is so true

Makatiel
215th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Mon 12 May 18:53post reply

quote:
Did I miss a step? What I wrote above is true, and the rest of the series simply illustrated that.

Well, I would consider

killing your girlfriend

End of Spoiler

totally different from killing some cops who are trying to stop you. But then again, maybe you feel like someone close to you is no different from some faceless, nameless cop? Who knows.

quote:
Readers who think they should be rooting for him as a character are probably a bit too easily impressed by pose-striking bishônen (best case).

I'm surprised you think that. The Light character is an extremely sympathetic character, not only for readers, but also for the entire world set up in the comic. I mean, seriously, were we reading the same comic?

The entire second half is about the entirety of Japan subjugating themselves to Kira's will and treating him like a god.

End of Spoiler

quote:
As for the end of the series...

No, I'm talking about

MisaMisa and all the Light followers gathering to mourn his death.

End of Spoiler

If you didn't think that was a sympathetic ending, then I really have no idea which comic you were reading.

quote:
After L learned about the notebook, would a cover-less notebook really be any less suspicious?

How could L possibly learn about the notebook if Light did just what I said? To be honest though, I don't even remember how L learned about it in the first place. It had something to do with the corporation people using it right? Lol. I just dismissed the whole thing as silly.

quote:
Yeah, and as long as nobody else touches it. Ever.

Carry around a small notebook and see if anyone ever touches it (especially if you draw no attention to it). I carry around books almost all the time, and no one has ever touched them in these past few years, maybe decade. If what I carried around was smaller and I carried it around less conspicuously, I bet it would be easy to keep people from touching it, pretty much forever.

Anyway, there's no real point in discussing this is there? Would you be willing to agree that Light isn't all that bright and that there were much better ways of carrying out his plans?

The twists and turns were plot devices used to move a story along. Sometimes those plot devices were silly and stupid. I'm fine with that because, like I said, I wasn't (and I don't think most people were) reading the story to see whether or not Light could construct some kind of foolproof plan.

Maybe you read it as a detective story, looking for clues, but I seriously doubt most people did. I think most people were reading it because they found the characters compelling, the scenario interesting and they wanted to see what happens in the end.

Iggy
8486th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Mon 12 May 21:43post reply

Troll.

D`Cloud
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Mon 12 May 22:54post reply

a good storytelling surpasses any continuity/plotholes.

Olivier Hague
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Tue 13 May 02:53:post reply

quote:
Well, I would consider killing your [...]

Wait, are we still talking about the live action movies? Why?

quote:
The Light character is an extremely sympathetic character, not only for readers, but also for the entire world set up in the comic.

Huh-huh.

quote:
The entire second half is about [...]

And that relates to Light being "sympathetic" how?

quote:
No, I'm talking about[...]

1) That wasn't her.
2) Do you really think that's what they were doing? Really?

quote:
If you didn't think that was a sympathetic ending

Of course not.
The TV series ending was sympathetic, on the other hand. And thus quite stupid.

quote:
How could L possibly learn about the notebook if Light did just what I said?

Well, L did learn about the notebook in the series, and that was not because Light failed to follow your advices. Soooo...

quote:
Carry around a small notebook and see if anyone ever touches it (especially if you draw no attention to it).

Yeah, I guess the whole thing does seem a lot less risky when you don't have to deal with guys who put dozens of surveilance cameras in your room when you're not there.

quote:
Would you be willing to agree that Light isn't all that bright and that there were much better ways of carrying out his plans?

Sure, but you still have to come up with these "much better ways"...

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Tue 13 May 02:53]

ecchi
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Tue 13 May 08:36post reply

L = world's greatest detective.

Light was screwed from the beginning.

GAME OVER?? But I beat the game!

Makatiel
216th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Tue 13 May 09:00post reply

quote:
Well, I would consider killing your [...]
Wait, are we still talking about the live action movies? Why?

IIRC, the TV announcer was his girlfriend in the comic. She was also his ex-girlfriend from college IIRC. It's not like she was just some dude trying to catch him.

quote:
1) That wasn't her.
2) Do you really think that's what they were doing? Really?

Now I'm really (and sincerely) interested in what you thought the ending was. My entire group of friends (all Japanese) agreed that this was the ending.

quote:
The TV series ending was sympathetic, on the other hand. And thus quite stupid.

I've never seen the TV series. I only read the comic and watched the two movies.

quote:
Sure, but you still have to come up with these "much better ways"...

I've already told you. Keeping a low profile would be the easiest way. For example, not falling for the bait when L used his TV broadcast would have been the easiest. I mean, seriously, is there a single person who read the comic and didn't see that as a trap?

Olivier Hague
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Tue 13 May 19:13:post reply

quote:
IIRC, the TV announcer was his girlfriend in the comic. She was also his ex-girlfriend from college IIRC. It's not like she was just some dude trying to catch him.

Nope, since she wasn't a dude, and she wasn't trying to catch him. Apart from that...
I mean, where did you get the idea that Light cared about her? At all?

quote:
Now I'm really (and sincerely) interested in what you thought the ending was. My entire group of friends (all Japanese) agreed that this was the ending.

They were praying for the return of KIRA. They weren't "mourning Light's death". Hell, they didn't even know Light.
Anyway, you can be sure they weren't there because Light was such a likable fellow.

End of Spoiler

quote:
I've already told you. Keeping a low profile would be the easiest way.

Keeping a low profile = not bothering to hide the Death Note? That's an interesting concept. ^^;

quote:
For example, not falling for the bait when L used his TV broadcast would have been the easiest.

Well, it's not like Light planned that one. That was just part of his "sympathetic" personality.

quote:
I mean, seriously, is there a single person who read the comic and didn't see that as a trap?

'Guess Light didn't read the comic and see the part where Interpol peed itself because L agreed to help...
Light had never heard of the guy, and had just gotten his hands on a magic notebook. So I wouldn't blame him for not suspecting this could harm him in any way.

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Tue 13 May 19:18]

Makatiel
218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Wed 14 May 12:09:post reply

On the ending:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) - But what you're suggesting is still sympathetic toward Light. I mean, whether they are mourning him or praying for his return doesn't really matter does it? They loved him. I do think this is one of the main themes of the entire comic, but you are welcome to disagree.

End of Spoiler

Anyway, I think we are finished here. After thinking a bit about our discussions, I think the way you approached the comic (looking for plotholes, etc.) is reasonable (and probably a fun way to enjoy the story). It's just totally different from how I approached the book.

[this message was edited by Makatiel on Wed 14 May 12:09]

Olivier Hague
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Wed 14 May 18:22post reply

More ending spoilers...

No, I really don't see how the ending is sympathetic toward Light.

For one thing, the fact some people agree with KIRA isn't just to be expected, it's also old news: we've seen that fairly early on in the series. So that's not what the ending is about.

Then, just because the manga shows these supporters, it doesn't necessarily condone them.
While the series definitely spent more time on the game of chess between Light and the Wammy kids than on the moral elements, when it did go there, it wasn't condoning KIRA or his supporters. Heck, KIRA's supporters were either angry mobs, greedy producers, fanatics (such as Mikami or even the unnamed girl at the end of the series... not exactly a heartwarming scene), or Matsuda (not the sharpest knife in the drawer).
And speaking of Matsuda, he had very little love for Light, in the Yellow Box. Remember what happened then? That was one of the very few moments where the morality of Light's actions was discussed by people who actually knew what was going on. How did that turn out?

Finally, Light's motives really weren't quite as noble as his "nice" (but somewhat dumb) supporters would like to believe.
The guy was bored. He said so himself. And he had a god complex. He didn't really care about the world becoming a better place. He cared about becoming the god of that new world.
I mean, what would happen at his death? He never even mentioned the possibility of a successor, despite risking his life in that battle of wits. He just wanted to live a long life ("no shinigami eyes, please!") as a god, and after that, he simply didn't care.
Basically, he's a jerk of colossal magnitude, and the manga doesn't really leave that up for debate. At best, it implies that Light probably wouldn't have been "so bad" without the Death Note. A more inhibited jerk, and a very efficient detective, maybe? But that's not the Light we've seen in the series.

If anything, the ending of the manga shows us that Light did become a god to some people, except it wasn't in the way he intended at all.

End of Spoiler

makatiel
218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Fri 16 May 10:18post reply

Ending

But nothing in your entire post has anything to do with the actual ending itself. You're talking about the story, the fanatic followers, OCD Mikami, etc., but the ending doesn't have any of them.

The actual ending is extremely sympathetic to Light. It shows a bunch of people gathering to mourn / worship / pray to or for Light. I don't see how you can consider that as anything but sympathetic. People loved him! They wish he was back! And that's how the comic ends, the final pages that the writer wrote and the artist drew.

I agree with all your points about the mob, the greedy producer, etc., etc., but those come in the middle of the story.

I simply cannot see how you can argue away the actual ending.

End of Spoiler

Olivier Hague
109th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Fri 16 May 17:30:post reply

Ending, surprisingly enough.

When I talked about fanatics, I mentioned the unnamed girl at the end. So yes, I was talking about the ending.

Again, the fact some people adore KIRA isn't exactly breaking news. We've seen that quite a few times earlier in the series.
And again, they're not mourning for Light. They don't even know Light. If anything, they're praying for KIRA's return, because KIRA was good to them. In other words, they're ultimately praying for themselves.
The way these guys think about KIRA isn't anything new, and is still as shortsighted as it was on day one. If you got the impression the author condone it in any way, I'd like to know why.

The only (sorta) "new" thing about the ending is the overtly religious tone that makes it appear as though Light/KIRA will really be remembered as a god (at least, this god's "miracles" are well documented). So Light did become a god after all, just not in the way he wanted (at all). That's irony, not sympathy.
The only sympathy I'd get from the ending scene isn't for Light, but rather for the poor souls who are now revering a dead murderer... But then again, I think the girl of the last page is just plain creepy.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Fri 16 May 17:41]

makatiel
219th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Wed 21 May 17:08post reply

The last "creepy" girl is MisaMisa, not some random girl. I don't own the comics but I remember there being some pretty clear references.

I think the ending is sympathetic to Light simply because of the entire way it is presented. You mention the religious overtones and that's definitely a big part. But there is also just the sheer number of "worshipers", the candles, the fact that it comes at the end.

I do think there is significance in the fact that these are the last pages of a thousand (?) page comic. They are the author's final words. That means something to me (but perhaps you disagree).

For example, consider if the ending had not included the worshipers. It could have just as easily ended with Ryuk killing Light after he went batshit insane. If that were the case, I think the book taken as a whole would have a entirely different feel. But it doesn't end that way obviously. It goes into the future and shows scenes of Matsuda and family (iirc, his sister?) talking about Light, etc. And it ends with his worshipers. Again, I don't think these kinds of things were just "tacked" on for no reason.

Olivier Hague
109th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Thu 22 May 02:13post reply

More spoilers...

The last "creepy" girl is MisaMisa, not some random girl.
No, that's not Misa.

I think the ending is sympathetic to Light simply because of the entire way it is presented. You mention the religious overtones and that's definitely a big part. But there is also just the sheer number of "worshipers", the candles, the fact that it comes at the end.
So what? You know why these people are here, and you know what they don't know. They're terribly misguided. Their adoration for KIRA is terribly misguided. So that doesn't make the ending "sympathetic towards Light". The reader knows (or should know) better.

I do think there is significance in the fact that these are the last pages of a thousand (?) page comic. They are the author's final words. That means something to me (but perhaps you disagree).
I just think you didn't understand these "final words" at all.

Matsuda and family (iirc, his sister?)
Er... That was Ide.

it ends with his worshipers. Again, I don't think these kinds of things were just "tacked" on for no reason.
Did I say they were?

End of Spoiler

Iggy
8492th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Thu 22 May 07:04post reply

I'm surprised none of you has used the world "cult".
Hello ? It's an underground cult ? Does it ring a bell here ? Hello ?

makatiel
220th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Thu 22 May 15:32post reply

Olivier, I think you are just reaching now.

If we cannot agree that the ending was sympathetic to Light, then I don't think we can agree on anything. I'd be interested to know what other people thought.

And I'm surprised you don't think the girl at the end is Misa. Care to provide any kind of reasoning? I think it was pretty obvious from the color of the hair, the close up, etc.

End of Spoiler

Olivier Hague
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Thu 22 May 20:23post reply

And I'm surprised you don't think the girl at the end is Misa. Care to provide any kind of reasoning?
The author said so?

End of Spoiler

Time Mage
2677th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Thu 22 May 21:00post reply

quote:
Olivier, I think you are just reaching now.

If we cannot agree that the ending was sympathetic to Light, then I don't think we can agree on anything. I'd be interested to know what other people thought.

In the 13th volume of the manga, consisting of interviews, curiosities, added details, etc, the author says clearly that the girl is NOT Misamisa. In fact, what happens with Misa (also explained there) is that someone tells her about Light being dead (he says "Matsuda, probably"), and she commits suicide shortly thereafter.

End of Spoiler

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Olivier Hague
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Thu 22 May 21:15post reply

On Valentine's day, too. So romantic.

Makatiel
221th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):L change the world?" , posted Fri 23 May 14:43post reply

author said so.

End of Spoiler

Woah, that's a really good reason. Hahahah.

I concede.