region-free DVD players - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1533 Views )

Maou
1401th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"region-free DVD players" , posted Wed 23 Apr 09:54post reply

Since region locking is one of the more obnoxious, senseless obstacles inflicted on the home electronics owner, I'm feeling like grabbing a cheap region-free DVD player. I remember hearing that an American store like Best Buy stocks an inexpensive (~$80) DVD player that just happens to be region-free, even if they don't technically say so (but with copious wink-wink, nudge-nudge, if you know what I mean, etc. that it does in fact play all regions). Anyone bought one of this mystery brand? I'd love to pick one up...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

hikarutilmitt
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):region-free DVD players" , posted Wed 23 Apr 10:27post reply

quote:
Since region locking is one of the more obnoxious, senseless obstacles inflicted on the home electronics owner, I'm feeling like grabbing a cheap region-free DVD player. I remember hearing that an American store like Best Buy stocks an inexpensive (~$80) DVD player that just happens to be region-free, even if they don't technically say so (but with copious wink-wink, nudge-nudge, if you know what I mean, etc. that it does in fact play all regions). Anyone bought one of this mystery brand? I'd love to pick one up...

Several Philips models are able to play region-free with a dead-simple code entry, plus they're good console DVD players anyway.

That or you can use an older PC that's not getting much use as a DVD player and use software that ignores region.

minuteman
271th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):region-free DVD players" , posted Thu 24 Apr 12:39post reply

quote:

You might be thinking of the CyberHome 320.
I know two people who own them and unlocking it is very simple.

Eject the disc tray, then close it (don't know if you have to do that) then hit menu, 1 then 9...then you get a little prompt thing with the numbers 0-7 i think, which are the regions and you set that to 0 and you're all set.

Toxico
4391th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):region-free DVD players" , posted Thu 24 Apr 13:24:post reply

quote:

Eject the disc tray, then close it (don't know if you have to do that) then hit menu, 1 then 9...then you get a little prompt thing with the numbers 0-7 i think, which are the regions and you set that to 0 and you're all set.

Of course, you'll only need to input the code once, and after that, viewing is up to the machine quality and life spawn.

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of mens

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 24 Apr 13:27]

CharlesProphony
49th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):region-free DVD players" , posted Thu 24 Apr 23:40post reply

Almost every dvd player you can think can be unblocked... Just google it.
A lot of them just require a code at some menu or a cd with 1kb of burned data (Yeah, it's bizarre, but a L* Elech of mine required a cd with some strange directory structure with a single txt renamed to something uncommon, with a word in korean in... Maybe they were trying to intimidate someone). :P
And they are pretty cheap nowadays... Other day I have seem a stand alone player cheaper than a pc dvd drive, and didn't look poorly made... It even supported divx/xvid.

Ex-Prophony

Mokona
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):region-free DVD players" , posted Thu 24 Apr 23:40:post reply

quote:
Several Philips models are able to play region-free with a dead-simple code entry, plus they're good console DVD players anyway.

That or you can use an older PC that's not getting much use as a DVD player and use software that ignores region.

I have one the those Philips players. Cost me around 50$ at Radioshack a few years ago. The code thing is easy as pie, and it's permanent.
The only little gripe I have with that player is it's a little noisy, but it doesn't really matter that much if you watch your movies with a decent sound volume.
Oh yeah, and it plays divX (and some Xvid) too.

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Thu 24 Apr 23:41]