Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6373 Views )

Arngrim
333th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Mon 7 Apr 22:51:post reply

I just wanted to call your attention regarding the interesting mind-fucking game titled Yume Nikki.

Some of you may know it already, as it has been looong since it was noticed by other members like Zepy and it also appeared in IC too, iirc.

However, the recent English patch allows this game to reach to a wider audience, despite of its indie nature. Actually, there is very little to translate in this game. However, it is much better for people without a proper japanese level to play it using its entirely unofficial English patched release.

For those who don't know about this game and its increasing popularity among niché gamers, it's a retro 2D exploration game in which a cute girl unable to escape from her room wanders her dreams to find an exit. This has been interpreted by the audience as the tragic efforts of the little girl to find answers in her cryptic dreams which stand for her own anxiety and instability, in a somewhat parallel setting to SH4: The Room. This game is HIGHLY random and chaotic, but unique and appealing at the same time, and it features a powerful ending to boot.

This is the video of the sub-quest that has boosted its popularity. Be sure to watch the whole thing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJHux3Hda2c

And this is the link to the English patched game for whoever is interested on it (remember that this freeware game is available at the creator's homepage):
http://rapidshare.com/files/104712976/yn0.10enginstaller.rar.html

Enhancing the myth surrounding this game, rumour has it that the author died two years ago, leaving the game unfinished at version 0.10, and that someone finished the demo and released it.

Pd: I absolutely love the Nasu minigame on her Famicom!! (despite of the fact that I still don't know if it has a deeper impact as a game element other than a crazy bonus thing...)

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

[this message was edited by Arngrim on Mon 7 Apr 23:16]

Replies:

celebrityfest
33th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Tue 8 Apr 03:34post reply

Lets try it out. I like scary games.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/celebrityfest/issue1cover.jpg [Image Attached]

shindekudasai
183th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Tue 8 Apr 04:21post reply

Uhm ... seems very repetitive. Pass.

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

Zepy
1454th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Tue 8 Apr 23:16post reply

I loved the game, but I think I've said that enough!

Who did the translation? Is there a site?

Arngrim
333th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Wed 9 Apr 00:59post reply

quote:

Who did the translation? Is there a site?

As far as I am concerned, the translation popped up pretty much from nowhere in the middle of this weekend at 4chan's /v/ board. No further explanation nor credits on who translated it was provided.

It would be great to get to thank the translator if he had a site, as well as having a way to get in touch with him/them in order to ask him about further projects.

I just remember from the original thread some anonymous apologising for the font used for technical reasons. I will later ask about this question.

sfried
134th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Wed 9 Apr 23:40post reply

quote:
For those who don't know about this game and its increasing popularity among niché gamers, it's a retro 2D exploration game in which a cute girl unable to escape from her room wanders her dreams to find an exit. This has been interpreted by the audience as the tragic efforts of the little girl to find answers in her cryptic dreams which stand for her own anxiety and instability, in a somewhat parallel setting to SH4: The Room. This game is HIGHLY random and chaotic, but unique and appealing at the same time, and it features a powerful ending to boot.

Where did you get such a synopsis from?

Arngrim
334th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Thu 10 Apr 22:48post reply

quote:

Where did you get such a synopsis from?

Own experience, mostly + random videogame board users with doubtful interpretation and plenty of imagination.

One of the strong points of this game is that it has little to none explanation of the events (maybe because of it being just a 0.10 version), so anyone can have their own thesis and point of view. However, there are certain evidences that lead to supporting a rather dark conclusion (with events such as finding your own body in a closet in the middle of nowhere, the event I just linked and the ending).

sfried
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Sat 12 Apr 04:31:post reply

quote:

One of the strong points of this game is that it has little to none explanation of the events (maybe because of it being just a 0.10 version), so anyone can have their own thesis and point of view. However, there are certain evidences that lead to supporting a rather dark conclusion (with events such as finding your own body in a closet in the middle of nowhere, the event I just linked and the ending).

So she was traumatized in real life? I've managed to get quite far, but are the effects in her dreams related to what she does in real life, or what she always wanted to do?

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 12 Apr 05:02]

Arngrim
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Sat 12 Apr 05:39:post reply

quote:

So she was traumatized in real life? I've managed to get quite far, but are the effects in her dreams related to what she does in real life, or what she always wanted to do?

This point is open to any kind of interpretation. In my humble opinion, I think that it's a mixture of both. That is to say: on the one hand, her repressed feelings bursting onto her subconscious, thus upbringing her feelings of anxiety to levels only achievable after having deeply explored her inner side, and on the other, the pressure accumulated by having commited a terrible mistake/done a horrible thing.

Furthermore, an interesting theory about her being a hikkikomori has recently arised and catched liked fire. This would also throw some light on the nature of certain symbols such as the massive quantity of eye-resembling beings suddenly flooding an inhabited area (and therefore making her uncorfotable in the middle of a crowd of people/monsters) or the presence of a demon travelling in the train (I know its farfetched, but you know the cliché on what can happen to a cute girl in the train).

As I said before, almost any interpretation is possible. The only stated facts are:

· her name is Madotsuki.
· she can't get out of her room in real life.
· she keeps track of her dreams in her diary (that is where you save your game, hence the game's title).
· the ending, where

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
she commits suicide.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Arngrim on Sat 12 Apr 06:38]

sfried
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Sat 12 Apr 14:19post reply

Pretty interesting analysis.

Going back to the gameplay, I love how some of the effects might seem superficial at first, untill you try combining them with others. This is one of the most freeform "Adventuroids" I have ever played, letting you set your own pace and discover the "powerups" in any sequence, let alone use them to gain others that aren't meant to be gained through said "powerups".

That said, it is very disorienting without a map, but it seems like the very basic premise of collecting and one shot Effect utilization make me believe its really meant to be played in the most laid back of all manner. Might not be everyone's cup of tea.

sfried
141th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Sat 19 Apr 08:17post reply

quote:

I think you avatar shows it. I've only realized now.

Arngrim
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), doujin game" , posted Sun 20 Apr 07:38post reply

quote:

I think you avatar shows it. I've only realized now.

Oh! I hadn't noticed that either! xD