Italian tread part 2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1539 Views )

mattfabb
5th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"Italian tread part 2" , posted Tue 25 Mar 23:28post reply

Hi everybody
I just came back from Italy, after a easter weekend.
I just wanted to say, everybody knows about Italian Pasta, but have you ever tried GNOCCHI?

Gnocchi are made of potatoes, and to me are better than pasta.

Please hear me out on this one, gnocchi is the way to go.

Thanks

Replies:

nobinobita
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Italian tread part 2" , posted Wed 26 Mar 01:10post reply

quote:
Hi everybody
I just wanted to say, everybody knows about Italian Pasta, but have you ever tried GNOCCHI?

Thanks

Gnocchi is awesome. Any recommendations on where to go for Gnocchi?

The best Gnocchi i've had in the US was at an Italian place in Atlanta called Figo's... or was it Vigo's ... ? Anyway, it was really damn good (and homemade and cheap!).

I love those little balls of starch. They melt in your mouth then sit heavy in your stomach like little gold nuggets.

Tai-Pan
215th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Italian tread part 2" , posted Wed 26 Mar 05:10post reply

quote:
Hi everybody

Thanks

Well gnocchis are good till you eat them at least twice a weak, then they become boring and plain. gnocchis are pasta by the way. The thing is that americans don't know a lot about pasta. And over here in america, I can say, pasta taste horrible.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Nekros
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Italian tread part 2" , posted Sun 30 Mar 22:26post reply

Hi to the boards. I'm from Italy, eastcoast. Where have you been more precisely? Gnocchi and the other kind of pasta are different in the various regions. The base (potatoes) remain the same, but the style and ingredients can vary, making them even tastier than the ones you ate. Gnocchi is with tomato sauce and ragu (usually pork or beaf meat sliced in little balls), according the tradional recipe, that I found a little boring.
I reccomand you buying directly import pasta, I don't know if it's easy to find, but I think in some Italian-import shop you can welcome yourselves with anything you are in search of.

mattfabb
6th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Italian tread part 2" , posted Wed 2 Apr 04:22post reply

quote:
Hi to the boards. I'm from Italy, eastcoast. Where have you been more precisely? Gnocchi and the other kind of pasta are different in the various regions. The base (potatoes) remain the same, but the style and ingredients can vary, making them even tastier than the ones you ate. Gnocchi is with tomato sauce and ragu (usually pork or beaf meat sliced in little balls), according the tradional recipe, that I found a little boring.
I reccomand you buying directly import pasta, I don't know if it's easy to find, but I think in some Italian-import shop you can welcome yourselves with anything you are in search of.

Hi
I wasnt really talking about one specific kind of gnocchi, rather I was trying to raise awareness of this delicate problem. Everybody knows what spaghettis are, but what about gnocchi? when need to raise the profile of gnocchi.

Grave
1042th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Italian tread part 2" , posted Wed 2 Apr 04:28post reply

Since we're talking about Italy...!

Does anyone live or know anyone who lives in the south, namely Calabria? Since we have many members from all over the world, I figure it can't hurt to ask. It's where my mother's family is from, and I've been trying desperately to find a contact for the black anise seed that supposedly only grows there. It's almost unheard of in the US and it seems there is no reputable source online. My grandmother and grandfather were from San Nicola dell'Alto and so many of the baked goods my grandmother used to make just aren't the same with the weaker flavor of regular anise. We used to get it from the family we had left there, but eventually everyone with connections from there to here got old and forgot about it.

It's a shot in the dark, but I figure it's worth a try.

Nekros
7th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Italian tread part 2" , posted Wed 2 Apr 19:00post reply

quote:
Since we're talking about Italy...!

Does anyone live or know anyone who lives in the south, namely Calabria? Since we have many members from all over the world, I figure it can't hurt to ask. It's where my mother's family is from, and I've been trying desperately to find a contact for the black anise seed that supposedly only grows there. It's almost unheard of in the US and it seems there is no reputable source online. My grandmother and grandfather were from San Nicola dell'Alto and so many of the baked goods my grandmother used to make just aren't the same with the weaker flavor of regular anise. We used to get it from the family we had left there, but eventually everyone with connections from there to here got old and forgot about it.

It's a shot in the dark, but I figure it's worth a try.

I have a friend from Calabria who lives in a city near mine. Next time I'll see him I'll ask about that seed.
It will help if that have a specific name in Italian, if you (or your grandparents) know it.