Baroque - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1706 Views )

Variable Savior
413th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Baroque" , posted Sun 23 Mar 11:24post reply

I'm probably behind the times here but I recently stumbled across prerelease info on Altus' Baroque. It seems like it could be interesting but there are aspects that seem unappealing. Honestly I'm not sure what to make of it at this point.

So I figured I'd appeal to the MMCafe community since you've generally got your fingers on the pulse (of something at any rate). Any word on this game?

Blood marks heaven's path

Replies:

Zepy
1444th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Baroque" , posted Sun 23 Mar 12:45post reply

All I remember about this game is that the Wii version of Baroque sold in the 2 digits on release day and Sting will probably never dare to release anything on the Wii again.

sfried
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Baroque" , posted Sun 23 Mar 15:54post reply

quote:
All I remember about this game is that the Wii version of Baroque sold in the 2 digits on release day and Sting will probably never dare to release anything on the Wii again.

I don't know. Looks like Baroque Wii sold a hefty enough size in areas where people know what a "roguelike" means.

Zepy
1445th Post

"Re(3):Baroque" , posted Sun 23 Mar 17:38post reply

quote:
I don't know. Looks like Baroque Wii sold a hefty enough size in areas where people know what a "roguelike" means.

Did it get released in another country already? I just checked the weekly sales and it managed to climb to 660 apparently...

sfried
125th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Baroque" , posted Sun 23 Mar 21:31post reply

quote:
I just checked the weekly sales and it managed to climb to 660 apparently...

Yup, accurate numbers for an Atlus game.

I'm betting far more people bought Baroque than Yggdra Union.

Zepy
1446th Post

"Re(5):Baroque" , posted Mon 24 Mar 00:22post reply

quote:
Yup, accurate numbers for an Atlus game.

I'm betting far more people bought Baroque than Yggdra Union.

Wait, did Atlus buy Sting over? I thought Sting was part of TYO group or something like that, they broke off?

I don't know if you're just acting and trying to hook me into posting more reactions and completely derail the thread, but Yggdra Union sold 25 times more than Baroque Wii when comparing first week sales.

Spoon
1538th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Baroque" , posted Mon 24 Mar 03:18post reply

quote:

I have a feeling that most of the people that the kind of game Baroque actually appeals to already bought it on the PS2 when it came out a year ago.

And I don't imagine it helping that Baroque is kind of an ugly-looking game.

chazumaru
515th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Baroque" , posted Mon 24 Mar 19:09post reply

quote:

Wait, did Atlus buy Sting over? I thought Sting was part of TYO group or something like that, they broke off?

Just to clarify:

- Baroque Wii sold 660 first week, according to Shinobi numbers. LTD is probably around 1000 now. PS2 version was pretty insignificant as well.

- The relationship between Sting and Atlus is that Atlus publishes Sting games in the US.

- Baroque Wii is released in the US now (or very recently, or in the coming weeks). Sales will probably be too low to find on NPD (published next month); however it will probably sell at least ten times more than the JP version by the combined power of "Wii software in America" and "faithful Atlus fans" (which would still be only 6600 ex).

- The following paragraph is pure speculation : I would guess Baroque (PS2 remake) was part of a multi-game deal between Sting and Atlus for the US market; however Atlus is in dire need of Wii games because Caduceus / Trauma Center Wii was such a money maker for them, therefore they asked Sting if they could not make it a Wii game instead. Sting then ported Baroque to Wii, and since the job was being done for the US anyway, they decided to try their luck at the local Wii market. Or at least, that's the only way this whole fiasco makes sense to me.

- Yggdra Union sold much, MUCH more than Baroque Wii in Japan. But who knows, Baroque Wii might sell more than Yggdra Union in the US.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Spoon
1540th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Baroque" , posted Tue 25 Mar 06:37post reply

quote:

- Yggdra Union sold much, MUCH more than Baroque Wii in Japan. But who knows, Baroque Wii might sell more than Yggdra Union in the US.

Yggdra Union admittedly has been out for a long time, but only the GBA one.

The vgchartz info I saw for Baroque PS2 was that it sold ~17k?
Yggrda Union GBA I saw had sold ~35k, and the PSP one a few thousand more than that (nearly 40k). The PSP Yggdra has not been out as long as the PS2 Baroque.

So yeah, going by that info chaz is very right in saying that Yggdra has totally outsold Baroque. So the next step is probably Yggdra on DS/Wii?

I guess the "people will buy anything on this console!" line holds a lot better when you've got on the order of like 25 million console owners (PS2, DS) in the market, as opposed to just like 5 million (Wii).

Black_Hayato
210th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Yggdra Union any good?" , posted Tue 25 Mar 14:13post reply

Was Yggdra Union any good? My first experience with Sting was with Riviera which I loved almost everything about. Especially the pick and play mechanics that more fit my lifestyle than normal rpgs that I loose interest in.

But Yggdra at the time I decided to pass.

Pollyanna
2467th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(9):Yggdra Union any good?" , posted Tue 25 Mar 14:27post reply

quote:
Was Yggdra Union any good? My first experience with Sting was with Riviera which I loved almost everything about. Especially the pick and play mechanics that more fit my lifestyle than normal rpgs that I loose interest in.

In my opinion, it's an excellent game flawed by overly-long battles. The battles will often be in several parts without save points in the middle, sometimes lasting an extremely long time. This is annoying when you make it to the 3rd or 4th part and something completely unexpected wipes you out, forcing you to start the entire thing over.

Actually, a lot of fights were like that. They had some trick to them that you couldn't figure out until it was too late. It wasn't exceptionally hard altogether, but it was obnoxiously hard at times.

So yeah, I want to say "it's a fantastic game", but it left me more irritated than happy in the end.

Also, excuse me if what I'm saying isn't quite right...I haven't played the game since it came out.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Black_Hayato
211th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Yggdra Union any good?" , posted Wed 26 Mar 11:37post reply

quote:

In my opinion, it's an excellent game flawed by overly-long battles. The battles will often be in several parts without save points in the middle, sometimes lasting an extremely long time. This is annoying when you make it to the 3rd or 4th part and something completely unexpected wipes you out, forcing you to start the entire thing over.

Actually, a lot of fights were like that. They had some trick to them that you couldn't figure out until it was too late. It wasn't exceptionally hard altogether, but it was obnoxiously hard at times.

So yeah, I want to say "it's a fantastic game", but it left me more irritated than happy in the end.

Also, excuse me if what I'm saying isn't quite right...I haven't played the game since it came out.

Going by that I guess I choose wisely. Anyway I think I may check out Rondo of Swords when it comes out. Looks different.

sfried
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re: FOE 2" , posted Fri 28 Mar 11:51post reply

quote:
Going by that I guess I choose wisely. Anyway I think I may check out Rondo of Swords when it comes out. Looks different.

You might want to hold out. Etrian Odyssey 2 is just around the corner...