In the arcades - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2524 Views )

Iggy
8420th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"In the arcades" , posted Wed 19 Mar 04:17post reply

Since most of those games won't deserve a full thread, let's group them all here.

I just copy&pasted an old post without bothering to keep it up to date. Oh well.

3/4 Gundam vs Gundam
3/14 Arcana Heart 2
3/18 KOF98UM <=====今ここ
4/? Sengoku BASARA X
4/? Samurai Spirits Sen

Also, unfortunately I can't go and play for now, so everything I post will be c&p from other places whose name most likely begins with a "2".

G vs G : the game is totally broken, and dull. Even Gundam otas don't seem to like it much (but they'll buy the home version anyways).

Arcana Heart 2 : It's hard to say anything at this point, but at least the Arcana fans are pleased.
I mean, the happy few who can play the game, since many arcades seem to have pushed back their purchase (when they have not simply canceled it).
The new characters are interesting, Cathy might not be as overpowered as once feared, and the numerous changes to the existing characters seem well thought.

KOF 98UM : mixed feelings. The game is hard to find, and the level of the players is so high even medium-to-high level players are being raped full force, which might prevent them from playing ever again.
On the other hand, the rebalancing of the game seems to have been a real success.
Daimon has been slightly toned down but is still very strong, Krauzer and Iori are close to the top, and Brian, Ura Yashiro, both Geese-s, Ura King, BIG, Kyô, Mai, Heidern, Saishû, Takuma, Yuri and maybe other characters I must have forgotten are considered above average at various degrees. Eiji is dangerous, Kasumi seems interesting (at least to the Kasumi players).
I haven't seen anyone noticing the changes done to Chizuru. Chris's JCD nerf alone is enough to screw his nuisance potential.

I hope no huge flaws are discovered, because the game seems to hold up to the expectations (well, except for the lack of a playable Goenitz)(FUCK YOU IMOYA!!).
On the other hand, after 2 years of work on such a small project, it's not a huge accomplishment.

Also : depending on the number of super finish, you seem to get
Shingo=>Iori/Oyaji/Sport team=>Omega R
or
Eiji=>96 Boss Team=>Goenitz (who seems to have at least a new move? Either way, someone says he's even more hard than in 96. Oh god).
or
Kasumi=>ura Orochi Team>Orochi (who has some new very ugly frames and can crouch, but has an AI as pathetic as in 97).

To everyone's surprise, nobody seems to have faced the two bôsô characters.

Replies:

Spoon
1535th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):In the arcades" , posted Wed 19 Mar 08:37post reply

quote:

G vs G : the game is totally broken, and dull. Even Gundam otas don't seem to like it much (but they'll buy the home version anyways).

Really?
I've heard that it's pretty good... at the very least, because its built on the now long-established Gundam vs. system, it's at least no worse than a typical Gundam vs. game.

In any case, I'll be trying it for myself this weekend, so whatever!

Any buzzings on whether or not a AH2:FULL! will happen far too soon again?

Zepy
1440th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):In the arcades" , posted Wed 19 Mar 10:24post reply

I wonder how many arcades will buy SF4 if they aren't buying the much cheaper AH2 and KOF98 PCBs already...

Then again arcades don't like KOF nowadays anyway.

Spoon
1536th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):In the arcades" , posted Wed 19 Mar 11:42post reply

quote:
I wonder how many arcades will buy SF4 if they aren't buying the much cheaper AH2 and KOF98 PCBs already...

Maybe they're too busy buying the much MUCH cheaper Akatsuki Blitzkampf!

... please?

Iggy
8421th Post

"Re(3):In the arcades" , posted Wed 19 Mar 18:28post reply

About G vs G : the game seems to be much slower than the other games, and there is a huge problem with Freedom Gundam, whose Cancel Kakusei made someone talk about Foxy.

quote:
Maybe they are actually saving for SF4? Since Capcom only sell those by sets of 4 machines, they are quite pricey...

quote:
MIA was the last straw for most arcades. Now THAT hurt the KOF brand pretty badly.

quote:
Maybe they're too busy buying the much MUCH cheaper Akatsuki Blitzkampf!

Ah ! I keep forgetting about this game. Ehhhhh... Let's.

Ishmael
3093th Post

"Re(4):In the arcades" , posted Thu 20 Mar 00:00post reply

I also wonder if having 1998 in the title could also help explain the arcade orders for KoF98UM. I'm sure this KoF upgrade is fine and all but having an entire decade pass between the intial release and this new version makes UM seem less like an upgrade and more like a high school reunion.

Professor
2445th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):In the arcades" , posted Thu 20 Mar 00:18:post reply

It depends on where you live. Fighting games are dead in rural areas albeit locations with a lot of students. Those places, there's not much action, so gamers will obviously spend more time on the Internet and complain in forums(aka 2ch). In the city, you can find a lot of arcades with fighter games, and those places, you can bet you'll see AH2 and SF4.

Akatsuki and KOF98UM are a bit interesting. Given that they're cheap boards you'd expect to see them in even the small~mid sized arcades, but you only see them in large ones.Two reasons why.

One, arcade owners don't think they're worth the investment, and Two, adding in the games means another machine has to be taken out, so you need to be confident that this new game will actually make more money than the older one. In both cases, it's a bigger risk for small-time arcade owners than chain stores.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 20 Mar 03:29]

Iggy
8422th Post

"Re(3):In the arcades" , posted Thu 20 Mar 07:19post reply

About Chizuru :

* "Korega mikirete?" first hit is shorter (C →A Korega... doesn't connect anymore)
*GCCD slower
*far C slower
*illusion slower
* "kono chikara" last a bit shorter.

Each nerf is very light, but they hit precisely all of her strong points. She can still be used the same way as she was, but the task is going to be a bit difficult.
Chris is not as abo-n as I said : his anti air has been beefed up. Most antiairs have : Leona's moon slasher is better, and the V slasher has full invincibility.

Most complains target Krauzer and especially Iori, who has been needlessly beefed up.

Also, though some people thought NeoGeo Hakase was merely doing the advertising for the game, the staff roll lists on nearly every job. He nearly did the game alone.

Iggy
8425th Post

"Re(4):In the arcades" , posted Thu 20 Mar 19:31post reply

Arcana 2 last boss :

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Angelia, Mildred's sister.
She uses the arcana of Light... "Mildred".
It makes Mildred appear beside her as a stand, shooting lasers everywhere. Hitting her make her vanish for a few seconds.

No playable Mildred ever... But at least Angelia doesn't seem so strong as a character (she has at least two different counters, something a CPU only character wouldn't need), so maybe she will be playable ? And the Mildred Arcana might not be that broken either, so...

Also, Angelia is a loli, but also Mildred's big sister...???

End of Spoiler

sfried
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):In the arcades" , posted Thu 20 Mar 22:55:post reply

quote:
It depends on where you live. Fighting games are dead in rural areas albeit locations with a lot of students. Those places, there's not much action, so gamers will obviously spend more time on the Internet and complain in forums(aka 2ch). In the city, you can find a lot of arcades with fighter games, and those places, you can bet you'll see AH2 and SF4.

What about shmups? Any arcades you'd recommend going to look for that genre?

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 20 Mar 22:56]

chazumaru
512th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):In the arcades" , posted Thu 20 Mar 23:54post reply

quote:

Also, though some people thought NeoGeo Hakase was merely doing the advertising for the game, the staff roll lists on nearly every job. He nearly did the game alone.

It would be very interesting to organize a cross-discussion between Hakase and David Sirlin, the guy in charge of rebalancing Super Street fighter IIX for the HD version. Then you could both have a "SNK vs. Capcom" angle and a "Japan vs. US" angle on the same topics and comparable experiences.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Professor
2446th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):In the arcades" , posted Thu 20 Mar 23:58post reply

quote:
What about shmups? Any arcades you'd recommend going to look for that genre?

In Tokyo? Best known location would be the Akihabara Hey, second floor.

Iggy
8426th Post

"Re(5):In the arcades" , posted Fri 21 Mar 04:05post reply

More Arcana 2 :

http://ranobe.com/up/src/up262779.jpg
http://ranobe.com/up/src/up262781.jpg
http://ranobe.com/up/src/up262782.jpg
http://ranobe.com/up/src/up262783.jpg
http://ranobe.com/up/src/up262784.jpg
http://ranobe.com/up/src/up262785.jpg
http://ranobe.com/up/src/up262786.jpg

(the files won't last long, and I'm too bored to mirror them).

Toxico
4373th Post

"Re(1):In the arcades" , posted Sat 22 Mar 13:04post reply

quote:
Kasumi=>ura Orochi Team>Orochi (who has some new very ugly frames and can crouch, but has an AI as pathetic as in 97).

Mizuchi's frames live again

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of mens

Iggy
8428th Post

"Re(2):In the arcades" , posted Sat 22 Mar 19:01post reply

quote:
Mizuchi's frames live again

No, apparently he doesn't borrow anything from Mizuchi. By the way, Goenitz isn't based on his SvC version either : it's 96 Goenitz + a few totally new moves.

Strange. As if hakase wanted to think these games never existed... I wonder why.

Toxico
4374th Post

"Re(3):In the arcades" , posted Sat 22 Mar 22:57post reply

quote:
No, apparently he doesn't borrow anything from Mizuchi. By the way, Goenitz isn't based on his SvC version either : it's 96 Goenitz + a few totally new moves.

So, they are reusing the exclusive, ps1 97 frames? I still have nightmares with the badly animated puppet like features after the loading times.

quote:

Strange. As if hakase wanted to think these games never existed... I wonder why.

I guess that it's like kissing and ugly friend, and then acting like if nothing happened, waiting for things to go back to normal, and the memories to wash away

shyeim
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2): Arcade top 10 in Japan" , posted Mon 24 Mar 09:55:post reply

quote:
Since most of those games won't deserve a full thread, let's group them all here.

I just copy&pasted an old post without bothering to keep it up to date. Oh well.

3/4 Gundam vs Gundam
3/14 Arcana Heart 2
3/18 KOF98UM <=====今ここ
4/? Sengoku BASARA X
4/? Samurai Spirits Sen

Also, unfortunately I can't go and play for now, so everything I post will be c&p from other places whose name most likely begins with a "2".

Arcana Heart 2 : It's hard to say anything at this point, but at least the Arcana fans are pleased.
I mean, the happy few who can play the game, since many arcades seem to have pushed back their purchase (when they have not simply canceled it).
The new characters are interesting, Cathy might not be as overpowered as once feared, and the numerous changes to the existing characters seem well thought.

KOF 98UM : mixed feelings. The game is hard to find, and the level of the players is so high even medium-to-high level players are being raped full force, which might prevent them from playing ever again.
On the other hand, the rebalancing of the game seems to have been a real success.
Daimon has been slightly toned down but is still very strong, Krauzer and Iori are close to the top, and Brian, Ura Yashiro, both Geese-s, Ura King, BIG, Kyô, Mai, Heidern, Saishû, Takuma, Yuri and maybe other characters I must have forgotten are considered above average at various degrees. Eiji is dangerous, Kasumi seems interesting (at least to the Kasumi players).
I haven't seen anyone noticing the changes done to Chizuru. Chris's JCD nerf alone is enough to screw his nuisance potential.

I hope no huge flaws are discovered, because the game seems to hold up to the expectations (well, except for the lack of a playable Goenitz)(FUCK YOU IMOYA!!).
On the other hand, after 2 years of work on such a small project, it's not a huge accomplishment.

Also : depending on the number of super finish, you seem to get
Shingo=>Iori/Oyaji/Sport team=>Omega R
or
Eiji=>96 Boss Team=>Goenitz (who seems to have at least a new move? Either way, someone says he's even more hard than in 96. Oh god).
or

To everyone's surprise, nobody seems to have faced the two bôsô characters.

Latest Arcade top 10(April) from Arcadiamagazine

1. TEKKEN 6
398.5 / Pts.

2. GUILTY GEAR XX Λ CORE
307.2 / Pts.

3. Virtua Fighter 5
241.3 / Pts.

4. Mobile suit Gundam SEED DESTINY combination vs. Z.A.F.T.II
215.4 / Pts.

5. MELTY BLOOD Act Cadenza
153.8 / pts.

6. STREET FIGHTER 3rd STRIKE
112.7 / ptss

7. DEATHSMILES
104.5 / pts.

8. THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002
97.1 / pts.

9. THE KING OF FIGHTERS'98
79.6 / pts.

10. Mushihime2
65.1 / pts.

www.arcadiamagazine.com

KOF 98 is already in arcade top 10 in Japan.

good news...

[this message was edited by shyeim on Mon 24 Mar 09:58]

Toxico
4375th Post

"Re(3): Arcade top 10 in Japan" , posted Mon 24 Mar 11:03post reply

quote:
9. THE KING OF FIGHTERS'98
79.6 / pts.

KOF 98 is already in arcade top 10 in Japan.

Wouldn't be more certain that the game was being playing before being re launched (like people practicing in the old 98 or the something in these lines).

Zepy
1447th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4): Arcade top 10 in Japan" , posted Mon 24 Mar 20:13post reply

Close A > Scum Gale > 446A > Scum Gale > 664A > Scum Gale > .......

It's not KOF if there are no infinites