Legend of Kage 2 anybody? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1557 Views )

Spoon
1534th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Legend of Kage 2 anybody?" , posted Tue 18 Mar 13:07post reply

Being a fan of Demon Sword on the NES, I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced.

Has anybody played it yet now that it's been released in Japan? The soaring jumping of the original games had an interesting feel back then, so I wonder what they've done to preserve that feel or if they've gone in a different direction.

Replies:

Professor
2442th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Legend of Kage 2 anybody?" , posted Tue 18 Mar 20:10:post reply

quote:
Being a fan of Demon Sword on the NES, I've been looking forward to this game ever since it was announced.

Has anybody played it yet now that it's been released in Japan? The soaring jumping of the original games had an interesting feel back then, so I wonder what they've done to preserve that feel or if they've gone in a different direction.

I'm playing the game and so far I like it. It's got most of the old elements, like the really high jump and tall trees. They've took out the tree climbing, which was one of the things I liked about the original. In place, there's new actions you can do, like run on walls, hang on ceilings, slide on the ground, dash, and air dash. If you use Kage, you fight with shuriken stars and deflect attacks with your short sword. If you use the heroine Chihiro, she fights with a chained sickle.

There's one big change though. Rather than having to venture left and right through the stage and defeat enemies, the game plays as a pretty standard side-scroller where you keep advancing until you reach the boss. This actually makes the game feel a *lot* different from the original NES title.

[EDIT] I've never played Demon Sword on the NES but after looking at it, I'd say Legend of Kage 2 plays pretty similar to Demon Sword than to Legend of Kage 1. You're constantly running or jumping in this DS game.

The Ninjutus have been pumped up. Rather than having to pick up an item by luck, you've got a ninjutu meter that lets you pull off moves whenever you want. At the beginning of the game, you can only create a double-image of yourself that attacks with you. As you play through, you can collect orbs that can be arranged on a puzzle-like board to create new ninjutsus. Some orbs can't be collected on the first try, but you can go back to old stages after you advance through the game and get pumped up.

The game runs with a story, so there's a bit more depth (though not a lot) compared to the original NES game. Also, if you make certain achivements, you can unlock artworks that can be viewed in the gallery mode. You'll need to finish the game with both Kage and Chihiro to unlock all the artwork. Fortunately, there's 4 save slots.

Although it's a minor difference, jumping is done with a button rather than holding up on the controller. I wish there was an option to bring back the old control.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 19 Mar 01:02]

EddyT
645th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Legend of Kage 2 anybody?" , posted Tue 18 Mar 20:44post reply

I have the game, but it was tough for me to understand the story because I can't read Japanese very well. I think it's okay, but Apollo Justice took most of my time away from that game.

I also need to toy around with that sphere scheme they have in the game... I had no idea what you could do with it.

crazymike
1424th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Legend of Kage 2 anybody?" , posted Tue 18 Mar 22:58post reply

Oh man I loved Demon Sword as a kid for NES and I guess I wasn't aware it was developed by Taito as well, I always thought one of the two titles were ripping each other off. So many years...

TreIII
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Legend of Kage 2 anybody?" , posted Wed 19 Mar 12:24post reply

When I get some real cash to my name, I shall buy this game.

It's the LEAST I can do to support Taito, for being one of the few developers who actually remember that 2D Ninja action games are awesome.

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

sfried
121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Legend of Kage 2 anybody?" , posted Wed 19 Mar 14:44post reply

Seen some videos. Is it really as Famitsu claims: Better than Contra 4/DS?

Freeter
4413th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"go ninja go ninja go" , posted Wed 19 Mar 17:18:post reply

Never played the original, but this one is very nice. The action is fast and running up walls is awesome. Not too fond of the 100-ft vertical jumps though, and the sprites could definitely look better.

The game seriously gives me some Last Blade vibes (Chihiro is like a spunkier Hibiki). Can we get SNKP to give that series the HD treatment after KOFXII?

[this message was edited by Freeter on Wed 19 Mar 17:19]

sfried
122th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):go ninja go ninja go" , posted Wed 19 Mar 18:22post reply

quote:
Never played the original, but this one is very nice.

Same here. And why am I fighting Fuu?