so-and-so's "Mysterious Dungeon" games - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1547 Views )

Spoon
1531th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"so-and-so's "Mysterious Dungeon" games" , posted Wed 12 Mar 06:36:post reply

I've recently been getting into the Shiren game on the DS (it's the first Shiren to be released in North America, isn't it?), and I was wondering...

- There seems to be a bunch of these popping up in NA lately! The Pokemon one, Izuna, Shiren...

- How is the Chocobo one on Wii? I already know it'll probably be better than any Final Fantasy game named Final Fantasy coming out in the foreseeable future, but what else? It'll also be coming to NA this year...

- Has anybody played Baroque on PS2/Wii? The NA release is also this year... Baroque isn't exactly a "Mysterious Dungeon" game, but it sounds very rogue-like.

- When will we see a Dwarf Fortress with decent graphisms and an interface that isn't impenetrable?

- How well do rogue-likes sell? They just seem too punishing and in places too simplistic to be able to appeal to people that don't love rogue-likes in the first place.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Wed 12 Mar 06:37]

Replies:

sfried
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):so-and-so's" , posted Wed 12 Mar 11:45post reply

quote:
I've recently been getting into the Shiren game on the DS (it's the first Shiren to be released in North America, isn't it?), and I was wondering...

- There seems to be a bunch of these popping up in NA lately! The Pokemon one, Izuna, Shiren...

- How is the Chocobo one on Wii? I already know it'll probably be better than any Final Fantasy game named Final Fantasy coming out in the foreseeable future, but what else? It'll also be coming to NA this year...

- Has anybody played Baroque on PS2/Wii? The NA release is also this year... Baroque isn't exactly a "Mysterious Dungeon" game, but it sounds very rogue-like.

- When will we see a Dwarf Fortress with decent graphisms and an interface that isn't impenetrable?

- How well do rogue-likes sell? They just seem too punishing and in places too simplistic to be able to appeal to people that don't love rogue-likes in the first place.

I've never played a Mysterious Dungeon game. How exactly does it play? Also, don't Izuna and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon also count?

Baines
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):so-and-so's" , posted Wed 12 Mar 12:03post reply

quote:

One of the Torneko games got a US PS1 release, but the DS remake is the first Shiren to do so.

Iggy
8410th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):so-and-so's" , posted Wed 12 Mar 19:58post reply

quote:

It OK. Less good than the two PS1 game, but with several good ideas, and full of overcutery.

Spoon
1531th Post

"Re(2):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 11:28post reply

quote:

I've never played a Mysterious Dungeon game. How exactly does it play? Also, don't Izuna and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon also count?

Indeed they do, and I mentioned them in my post :D

The Mysterious Dungeon games are based on an ancient game design which has come to be known as "rogue-like" in honor of the first game, Rogue. Wikipedia for more deatiled info.

Rogue-likes tend to be signified by 3 things:
- tiled, randomly generated dungeons

- "synchronized real time": it's turn based in that enemies don't move until you move and you take turns hitting each other, but whenever you take a step the enemies can take a step (or more)

- death and difficulty: you are going to die, when you die you are going to lose everything you are carrying on you, and you can't just hit "load game"

Now, some of the DS games like the Pokemon one and Shiren have the "rescue" feature, where when you die you can go into a special state, go online, and pray for somebody else to go online as a "rescuer". Or you can choose not to wait for rescue and just start back at whereever back at level 1. I can't remember if the Pokemon one is more lenient with regards to its penalties for death. Izuna and Shiren also have warehouses where you can cache items.

sfried
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 12:18:post reply

quote:
Rogue-likes tend to be signified by 3 things:
- tiled, randomly generated dungeons

- "synchronized real time": it's turn based in that enemies don't move until you move and you take turns hitting each other, but whenever you take a step the enemies can take a step (or more)

- death and difficulty: you are going to die, when you die you are going to lose everything you are carrying on you, and you can't just hit "load game"

Now, some of the DS games like the Pokemon one and Shiren have the "rescue" feature, where when you die you can go into a special state, go online, and pray for somebody else to go online as a "rescuer". Or you can choose not to wait for rescue and just start back at whereever back at level 1. I can't remember if the Pokemon one is more lenient with regards to its penalties for death. Izuna and Shiren also have warehouses where you can cache items.

Ah, I see. Would Yoda Stories count as being anything remotely like a Rogue-like?

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 13 Mar 12:24]

Spoon
1532th Post

"Re(4):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 12:37post reply

quote:
Would Yoda Stories count as being anything remotely like a Rogue-like?

I don't know, because I haven't played it.

After you play a rogue-like or two for a bit though, you can really feel it for yourself what it means to be "rogue-like"... it's quite distinctive.

Maou
1390th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 12:47post reply

quote:
Would Yoda Stories count as being anything remotely like a Rogue-like?

I don't know, because I haven't played it.

After you play a rogue-like or two for a bit though, you can really feel it for yourself what it means to be "rogue-like"... it's quite distinctive.

Playoneplayoneplayone! They're so weirdly fun. I mean, I'm normally all about story and level grinding isn't normally my thing AT ALL, but when an RPG is so fraught with the very real chance of you getting slaughtered if you don't pace yourself right, it somehow becomes so much fun! There really is the sort of almost real-life thrill of testing your limits and being circumspect, which so rarely happens in many games where you just go nuts and don't care if you get a game over. We played Toruneko on SFC for HOURS, and a friend of mine swears by the original Fuurai No Shiren, so you should really give this remake a spin. I know I want to...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

sabo10
1409th Post

"Re(6):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 16:06:post reply

Hey everybody!

If you like RPGs and have never played a roguelike on the PC, you probably should try at least one!

The original and free roguelikes for the PC -->

Nethack:
ftp://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/n/ne/nethack/nethack-343-tiles32-2.zip

Crawl:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=143991

[this message was edited by sabo10 on Thu 13 Mar 16:08]

IkariDC
718th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 16:37post reply

Etrian Odyssey although being an RPG, has a lot in common with the spirit and the thrill you can experience in those rogue-like games. I'm not the type of player that loves grinding, just like Maou said, but I'm just addicted to this gem!

I'd like to try that Siren DS remake, but it sounds like it's going to be really unforgiving and frustrating! The US cover is totally horrible, by the way.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

sfried
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 17:29post reply

quote:
Hey everybody!

If you like RPGs and have never played a roguelike on the PC, you probably should try at least one!

The original and free roguelikes for the PC -->

Nethack:
ftp://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/pub/sourceforge/n/ne/nethack/nethack-343-tiles32-2.zip

Crawl:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=143991

Thanks. I was considering on getting Shiren DS, but I'm tied up with getting some other game at the moment, so I don't really know if it's my thing. But perhaps this should give me a clue.

sabo10
1409th Post

"Re(8):so-and-so's" , posted Thu 13 Mar 19:08post reply

I would suggest Crawl first as it is less retarded than Nethack.