Which is the PS3 version I should get? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1829 Views )

Tai-Pan
212th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Frequent Customer

"Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Wed 5 Mar 10:49post reply

The question, If I had to buy a PS3, which version should I buy? Which one is better? the 60, 40, 80, 90, 100gb versions? I mean there are so many versions and I lost track of each version's pros and cons.

Thanks

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Replies:

Pollyanna
2454th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Wed 5 Mar 11:08post reply

quote:
The question, If I had to buy a PS3, which version should I buy? Which one is better? the 60, 40, 80, 90, 100gb versions? I mean there are so many versions and I lost track of each version's pros and cons.

Thanks

I don't think it's especially complicated? If you're prioritizing backwards compatibility, then you'll want an earlier model, otherwise just got for the one with the biggest hard drive.

I got my system for very cheap, but it ended up not being the best for me. I have a US system, but all my PS2 games are Japanese...and since I got a really fancy HD TV, the PS2 games look kinda shoddy unless I play them on the PS3. That's left me desperate for more software on PS3, because I really do love the system.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1003th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Wed 5 Mar 15:52post reply

If you want it all, hunt down a 60GB. Hard drive upgrading couldn't be easier to do yourself. The 60GB has all the card readers, full PS2 backwards compatibility, etc. I picked one up when they were being discontinued and I'm quite glad that I did. Fast loading on PS2 titles is very nice, not to mention upscaling.

IkariDC
717th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Wed 5 Mar 16:18post reply

quote:
If you want it all, hunt down a 60GB. Hard drive upgrading couldn't be easier to do yourself. The 60GB has all the card readers, full PS2 backwards compatibility, etc. I picked one up when they were being discontinued and I'm quite glad that I did. Fast loading on PS2 titles is very nice, not to mention upscaling.

But isn't it hard to come by a 60GB model right now? I also would love to get that one when I finally decide to own one.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Grave
1004th Post

"Re(3):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Wed 5 Mar 16:37post reply

I've heard of people finding them in recent months in stores that tend to move smaller amounts of games and hardware. Kmart seems like a good choice.

Mozex
342th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Sun 9 Mar 00:07post reply

quote:

...and since I got a really fancy HD TV, the PS2 games look kinda shoddy unless I play them on the PS3. That's left me desperate for more software on PS3, because I really do love the system.

You can get component cables for your PS2 and play (some) games in progressive scan. The sad thing is that the PS3 cannot play PS2 games in progressive scan - so the best image quality actually comes from the PS2.

Be kind to goblins.

crazymike
1420th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Sun 9 Mar 02:28post reply

quote:

I got my system for very cheap, but it ended up not being the best for me. I have a US system, but all my PS2 games are Japanese...

Wait, I thought the region lock for PS1 and 2 titles still was in effect in the PS3? Or is there finally a reason I have to try and buy a PS3 so I can finally play all those Japanese Gundam titles I missed out on?

Grave
1006th Post

"Re(3):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Sun 9 Mar 06:50:post reply

quote:

You can get component cables for your PS2 and play (some) games in progressive scan. The sad thing is that the PS3 cannot play PS2 games in progressive scan - so the best image quality actually comes from the PS2.

Supposedly the issue with progressive scan PS2 games have been fixed in firmware. Regardless, the vast majority of PS2 games don't support progressive scan and it's hardly that much of an issue. Upscaling all the other games that don't is probably worth the tradeoff, assuming that it even is an issue! I'd say I'd test one of the offending titles, but I only get to play on an HDTV when I'm in PA, unfortunately.

quote:

Wait, I thought the region lock for PS1 and 2 titles still was in effect in the PS3? Or is there finally a reason I have to try and buy a PS3 so I can finally play all those Japanese Gundam titles I missed out on?

Region locking is still in on PS1 and PS2 disc titles, but not on PS3 or PSN downloads. Buying PS1 games from the Japanese store is lovely.

[this message was edited by Grave on Sun 9 Mar 06:52]

Pollyanna
2455th Post

"Re(4):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Sun 9 Mar 09:09post reply

quote:

Supposedly the issue with progressive scan PS2 games have been fixed in firmware. Regardless, the vast majority of PS2 games don't support progressive scan and it's hardly that much of an issue. Upscaling all the other games that don't is probably worth the tradeoff, assuming that it even is an issue! I'd say I'd test one of the offending titles, but I only get to play on an HDTV when I'm in PA, unfortunately.

Yes, thank you. You answered for me better than I could have myself.

I know this sounds a little snotty, but I was under the impression that using component cables was the norm now. I can't imagine someone having an HDTV using composite. (still, I appreciate the suggestion Mozex)

Personally, though my experience, "downscaling" is as important as upscaling. Like...if you're going to be playing Wii and PS2 primarily, you're better off with a tube TV that can run 720P or 1080i. That's what I used to have and EVERYTHING looked excellent.

Now I have a 1080p TV, and the PS3 and 360 look beyond excellent, but the PS2 and Wii are totally hit or miss. Most games look...kinda...muddy.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2315th Post

"Re(4):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Sun 9 Mar 10:15post reply

quote:

Region locking is still in on PS1 and PS2 disc titles, but not on PS3 or PSN downloads. Buying PS1 games from the Japanese store is lovely.

Oh? That is nice info.

Too bad I can't figure out how to make it take my credit card X<

Grave
1007th Post

"Re(5):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Sun 9 Mar 12:37:post reply

quote:

Personally, though my experience, "downscaling" is as important as upscaling. Like...if you're going to be playing Wii and PS2 primarily, you're better off with a tube TV that can run 720P or 1080i. That's what I used to have and EVERYTHING looked excellent.

Now I have a 1080p TV, and the PS3 and 360 look beyond excellent, but the PS2 and Wii are totally hit or miss. Most games look...kinda...muddy.

Honestly, I really would have liked a CRT HDTV, but I'm hearing very mixed things about the Samsung models available now, and I imagine it won't be long until they're ridiculously hard to get. I just had to explain to my folks that they shouldn't throw the old 32" Trinitron away just because they got a huge Bravia LCD. I mean, it may be of no use for them now, but I'll certainly be glad to take it off their hands.

When I get myself an LCD TV at last, I've been thinking about going for 720p. For TVs under 40", supposedly the difference between that and 1080p is negligible, but I can't say I've really been able to see for myself. I imagine I could save some cash this way at least, but it won't be an issue for at least a few more months.

quote:

Too bad I can't figure out how to make it take my credit card X<

Ah, you won't be able to! I forgot to mention that. But you can get funds through PS Network cards and tickets from Japan. I order from NCS typically. The markup isn't too terribly bad in my opinion, and you should receive the code in your email the next day. Very simple process! And such a good selection!

[this message was edited by Grave on Sun 9 Mar 12:38]

Pollyanna
2456th Post

"Re(6):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Sun 9 Mar 19:57post reply

quote:

When I get myself an LCD TV at last, I've been thinking about going for 720p. For TVs under 40", supposedly the difference between that and 1080p is negligible, but I can't say I've really been able to see for myself. I imagine I could save some cash this way at least, but it won't be an issue for at least a few more months.

If you shop around, you can probably get a 1080p for practically the same price as a 720p one. That was my experience, at least.

Mine is 42 inches, so I can't speak for differences on a smaller scale, but when something supports 1080p, I can definitely tell a difference. I wanted something "future proof", and I'm kind of anal about playing things "how they were meant to be played." To me, if a game supports 1080p and 5.1 audio, then that's how I should play it. That's why I'm so torn up about the Wii looking so bad. I know the games aren't supposed to look like that.

To me, if you're on a budget, you don't care about 1080p and you want to play things that aren't HD on it, I think you're still better off with an HD tube TV.

Of course, there's also the issue of space. One of the primary reasons I moved to LCD was to use a more attractive less space-consuming "entertainment center."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

justicekyo
688th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Mon 10 Mar 04:45post reply

quote:

Thanks

if you don't mind one or two missing extra ports(USB, MEm stick,ect). then get the 40GB. and HDD size doesnt matter much either. you can easily buy a 5400rpm sata HDD and replace the default one.

Mozex
343th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Mon 10 Mar 11:15post reply

quote:
Supposedly the issue with progressive scan PS2 games have been fixed in firmware. Regardless, the vast majority of PS2 games don't support progressive scan and it's hardly that much of an issue.

I tried a few weeks ago to get Guilty Gear XX to go progressive scan, which required holding down buttons when the PS2 was booting, no dice. It may work for some other games like Guitar Hero 2 that let you change it in the game menu.

But if you have nice TV with HDMI/DVI input I suppose non-HD games will look nicer due to the better signal quality. I played Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and it looked fine. Disgea seems to have some wierd issues (slowdown and layer clipping), but I can't compare running it on a PS2 to a PS3.

Be kind to goblins.

Tai-Pan
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Tue 11 Mar 11:07post reply

quote:

I don't think it's especially complicated? If you're prioritizing backwards compatibility, then you'll want an earlier model, otherwise just got for the one with the biggest hard drive.

I got my system for very cheap, but it ended up not being the best for me. I have a US system, but all my PS2 games are Japanese...and since I got a really fancy HD TV, the PS2 games look kinda shoddy unless I play them on the PS3. That's left me desperate for more software on PS3, because I really do love the system.

So on the later models I can't play PS2 games at all? Or is the compatibility just reduced?
I think I want my media card reader. So that settles it.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Grave
1008th Post

"Re(7):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Tue 11 Mar 11:22post reply

quote:

So on the later models I can't play PS2 games at all? Or is the compatibility just reduced?
I think I want my media card reader. So that settles it.

80GB has incomplete software BC and the card slots. 60GB has hardware BC and the reader as well. If you can find one, it's the way to go IMO. 40GB has none of those.

quote:

To me, if you're on a budget, you don't care about 1080p and you want to play things that aren't HD on it, I think you're still better off with an HD tube TV.

Of course, there's also the issue of space. One of the primary reasons I moved to LCD was to use a more attractive less space-consuming "entertainment center."

Not only am I on a budget, size and weight is definitely a concern! I've been moving at least once a year for the last five years, and I don't know if I'm willing to deal with a large CRT. This is all terribly irritating.

Maou
1388th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):Which is the PS3 version I should get?" , posted Tue 11 Mar 12:25:post reply

quote:
thousands of versions of PS3 hardware

Phew, this reminds me of one of the appeals of consoles to begin with, having a consistent hardware system that won't be "inferior" or "obsolete" compared to what other people have. Not that there were any games I ever really wanted to play on PC back in the day (besides a stray American graphic adventure or RPG like Quest for Glory), anyway, but the principle of the stratified systems and upgrades needed for gaming always annoyed me, and it seems to have resurfaced, pointlessly, in the current generation of consoles that want to be li'l PC's. An odd turn of events.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 11 Mar 12:26]