What game franchises need a "reboot"? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2716 Views )

crazymike
1418th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"What game franchises need a "reboot"?" , posted Tue 26 Feb 12:20:post reply

With Hollywood going back to the drawing board and starting over with franchises like Batman, Hulk, and Star Trek, what game series do you think need a do-over?

I nominate Mega Man X. After a dozen sequels and the Zero spinoff series, I lost track trying to keep up with the story. I think a more modern X series would be appropriate with a re-worked storyline and cel-shaded graphics.

[this message was edited by crazymike on Tue 26 Feb 12:21]

Replies:

hikarutilmitt
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 13:05post reply

quote:
With Hollywood going back to the drawing board and starting over with franchises like Batman, Hulk, and Star Trek, what game series do you think need a do-over?

I nominate Mega Man X. After a dozen sequels and the Zero spinoff series, I lost track trying to keep up with the story. I think a more modern X series would be appropriate with a re-worked storyline and cel-shaded graphics.

Final Fight
Valis

FF to fix the last two shit games we got and just give it an edge it needs without being trash like streetwise was. Valis to see if it can be brought back from the depths of shitty, boring hentai gaming into a reasonably fun series. You could slap Valis onto the DMC4 engine and I'd be pleased as punch.

I almost want to say Castlevania and Street Fighter, but IGA seems intent on giving us games that are only worth playing through once or twice and SF is... well, SFIV is coming out and I still am not sure what to really think of it, yet.

Maou
1385th Post

"Re(1):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 13:24:post reply

Hey, how about Sonic? Obvious choice, I guess. At least they managed to make Sonic Rush, which I desperately want to play even if I hear it doesn't stack up to the originals, and the Naganuma soundtrack of course made the series seem ALIVE in the same way that the original Rockman X and its rocking soundtrack did (and incidentally in a way that Rockman X's awful 16-bit sequels with awful soundtracks did not).

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 26 Feb 13:25]

Spoon
1520th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 13:28post reply

quote:
A nice avatar

The "sequel" to Pocky and Rocky comes out this week!

Undead Fred
2969th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 14:43post reply

quote:

I'd like it if they'd just grow up and put the series to bed when they spin so out of control that they need a reboot. Make something new. Stop beating dead horses. These companies are so creatively bankrupt that they just keep milking the cow until it's dead, then stick electrodes in its neck and force it back to life. Know when to stop and move on.

Anyway, to cut my grouchy ramble short and turning back to participating in the thread... If someone rebooted a series I liked, I'd say I'd want them to do the Silent Hill series. The fourth one was a rushed, awful mess, and the fifth one sounds pretty ugly so far. I'm not sure if anyone would count the PSP one, and I've heard what they did with that. I'd like the original team to get back on the wheel and steer the ship away from the rocks.

Pollyanna
2450th Post

"Re(2):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 20:46post reply

quote:
Hey, how about Sonic? Obvious choice, I guess. At least they managed to make Sonic Rush, which I desperately want to play even if I hear it doesn't stack up to the originals, and the Naganuma soundtrack of course made the series seem ALIVE in the same way that the original Rockman X and its rocking soundtrack did (and incidentally in a way that Rockman X's awful 16-bit sequels with awful soundtracks did not).

Personally, I can't see why people liked Sonic Rush so much. It had abysmally poor level design with tons of "you don't know you're flying into a hole until you're flying into it." I think people just got excited because it was "2D".

That's just my opinion...well, and the opinions of my friends. We passed the game between 5 people and everyone quit for the same reasons.

I think Sonic Rush Adventure is the much better game. The music isn't as awesome, but it's decent, and the level design is much much better. Very fun, even. They make you repeat levels, but there wasn't a single one I didn't enjoy. You HAVE to skip the plot scenes, though. They're lengthy, numerous and boring as hell. I liked it so much more when Sonic didn't talk. If they were going to "reboot" the series, I think limiting the story sequences would be a good start.

As for Rockman, I wish it would just die, really. I feel like they're constantly "rebooting" it in lame, uninspired ways...but I'm hardly the authority.

As for me...I'll have to think a bit more, but Dead or Alive comes to mind. I like the gameplay, for the most part, but the character designs are either old and boring or tacky as hell. Also, no character customization and limited play modes are a let-down. Ah....and...they need to redesign some moves, or re-motion capture them, or whatever. Sometimes it looks fluid and realistic and other times it looks like someone is flipping around a crappy action figure.

Iggy
8393th Post

"Re(2):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 20:50post reply

quote:
If someone rebooted a series I liked, I'd say I'd want them to do the Silent Hill series.
I'd like the original team to get back on the wheel and steer the ship away from the rocks.

It would require them to abandon the Siren series...

On topic, as nostalgic as I can be, I'd rather have a series I like die than being resurrected into something it's not. I still hate Rockman X for killing the original Rockman series. I may love Valis to death, most of its charm comes from its 90's feeling, and I'm not sure their Orange Road aircut would look great with DMC4 graphics. And I would hate to see them "modernized" into some moe look with gothloli maid aperons and ahoge.
So, if I was to nominate franchises that would need to be left in a preserved territory and never be heard of like some endangered species, I think Sonic and Silent Hill are pretty high on the list. And Samurai Spirits as well. Hopefully, Mana (Secret/legend of-) is dead and won't be heard of in a long, long time. Not before every single person who worked on World of Mana is retired, or better, dead.

Kikkoken
1158th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 21:48post reply

PC Kid / Bonk could be great in 3D (I'm thinking with Mario Galaxy standards in mind).

Evenor
627th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):What game franchises need a" , posted Tue 26 Feb 23:22post reply

I want a new Fighting Vipers game (with VF5 graphics)

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

chazumaru
510th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"What game franchises need a "reboot"?" , posted Wed 27 Feb 00:09post reply

quote:
What game franchises need a "reboot"?

The PlayStation brand?

If I understand well, you disregard lone efforts and are only thinking about multiple episodes franchise and situations à la how Bio4 saved/resurrected the series (and the whole third person action game genre, too). Like Iggy, I believe a lot of them should just be left to rest in peace (Katadama comes to mind). Also, SEGA should be restricted to use the word "Shining" in any game title. In terms of series that could be salvaged with one brilliant new episode, Winning Eleven is a good example; at least the Wii version is trying something... Castlevania might be the biggest casualty from the seven previous years of Nintendo handheld gaming. Konami already cleared the name of Goemon with the DS episode, but it was a commercial failure and I believe there is potential to make it a relevant franchise again.

However in my book, the biggest case of "needs to be saved by its own Bio4" is Ridge Racer.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Ishmael
3074th Post

"Re(1):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 01:49post reply

The problem with rebooting franchises is that for every success you can just as easily end up with a Bomberman: Act Zero or Jak and Daxter 2. Even with that in mind I would like to see Joust come back. Every game that could even remotely be considered a spiritual sequel to the game has either wanted to be Panzer Dragoon when it grew up or just plain stunk. All I want is a game where I can run around with a sword and then hop on my gigantic bird. I don't think I'm asking for too much. Oh, and I would like it if the bad guys still hatched out of eggs with no in-game explanation for how or why that was happening.

Just a Person
1087th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 02:10post reply

quote:
FF to fix the last two shit games we got and just give it an edge it needs without being trash like streetwise was.

You're talking about FF2 and FF3? Or FF3 and FF:Streetwise? Or FF:One (the GBA port of the first game) and FF:Streetwise?

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

GekigangerV
1510th Post

"Re(3):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 02:26post reply

quote:
FF to fix the last two shit games we got and just give it an edge it needs without being trash like streetwise was.

You're talking about FF2 and FF3? Or FF3 and FF:Streetwise? Or FF:One (the GBA port of the first game) and FF:Streetwise?

I think Revenge and Streetwise.

Oroch
1012th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 02:42post reply

quote:
PC Kid / Bonk could be great in 3D (I'm thinking with Mario Galaxy standards in mind).

awesome i'd say

that + air zonk

Spoon
1521th Post

"Re(3):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 02:42post reply

quote:
I feel like they're constantly "rebooting" it in lame, uninspired ways...but I'm hardly the authority.

Megaman Battle Network was really cool when it first came out! The system felt genuinely fresh and interesting!

... I think Megaman Battle Network needs a reboot now.

Maou
1385th Post

"Ancient Seal" , posted Wed 27 Feb 02:46post reply

I like the other direction of this thread, and agree that there should be a list of fallen franchises that are sealed away for 1000 years like some ancient evil, to be defeated by future heroes. Sonic, Katamari, Seiken Densetsu/Mana (god!), and probably Rockman do top the list. Especially Seiken. I remember the days when everyone had played Seiken 2 but me...but now the mere mention of the franchise's hated name brings a shudder. At least Shimomura Youko continues to compose positively gorgeous music for some of them, though.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iggy
8394th Post

"Re(1):Ancient Seal" , posted Wed 27 Feb 03:34post reply

quote:
I like the other direction of this thread, and agree that there should be a list of fallen franchises that are sealed away for 1000 years like some ancient evil, to be defeated by future heroes. Sonic, Katamari, Seiken Densetsu/Mana (god!), and probably Rockman do top the list. Especially Seiken.

Please let's add Gyakuten Saiban to the list.
And ret-con the reality to erase the 4th game.

TreIII
89th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 05:05post reply

quote:
Megaman Battle Network was really cool when it first came out! The system felt genuinely fresh and interesting!

... I think Megaman Battle Network needs a reboot now.

It's called Ryuusei no Rockman/Mega Man StarForce. There's your reboot (or close enough).

Any way....I'd pick Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest. I loved this lil GnG spin-off series starring Red Arremer, and I would really like to see Capcom give him another shot.

Hell, even putting Demon's Crest and Gargoyle's Quest together on a pack for the DS would already be the start of something nice, I would think.

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Spoon
1522th Post

"Re(5):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 05:12post reply

quote:

It's called Ryuusei no Rockman/Mega Man StarForce. There's your reboot (or close enough).

Any way....I'd pick Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest. I loved this lil GnG spin-off series starring Red Arremer, and I would really like to see Capcom give him another shot.

Hell, even putting Demon's Crest and Gargoyle's Quest together on a pack for the DS would already be the start of something nice, I would think.

How different are the Mega Man StarForce games from the old MMBN? I don't know, I haven't been reading up on them.

I'm not sure if Demon's Crest line counts for a "reboot"... it's more like a "resurrection", since it never got run into the ground.
I certainly like Demon's Crest, though.

TreIII
90th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 09:36post reply

quote:

How different are the Mega Man StarForce games from the old MMBN? I don't know, I haven't been reading up on them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_Star_Force

But basically...all you need to know is that Ryuusei is more or less the same thing as BN, just with a 3D perspective utilized for the battle scenes, and a new cast of characters and scenario to get acquainted with.

quote:

I'm not sure if Demon's Crest line counts for a "reboot"... it's more like a "resurrection", since it never got run into the ground.
I certainly like Demon's Crest, though.

To me though, a "reboot" is meant to bring back something that stalled, or otherwise is just acting "dead". Thus, at least in my opinion, it counts. The Gargoyle saga has been basically all but forgotten in the last decade...and just when I thought that Red and his kind's appearances in SvC and NxC may have implied something more...

GekigangerV
1512th Post

"Re(7):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 10:59post reply

I would like to see SNK Playmore reboot Buriki One. I never got a chance to play the original, but have been interested by the videos I have seen.

With the changes and expansion in Mixed Martial Arts, they could do some interesting things to give this game a slight exaggeration to make it a fun experience that could appeal to MMA fans and fighting game fans.

Iggy
8395th Post

"Re(8):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 20:10post reply

quote:
I would like to see SNK Playmore reboot Buriki One.

I would like to see SNKP reboot the Hyper nego geo 64

EddyT
636th Post

"Re(9):What game franchises need a" , posted Wed 27 Feb 22:28post reply

I would give Burning Rangers a reboot

... pretty please?

I would also nominate giving Sonic the plain old boot. Tired

ZamIAm
1699th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Backdraft...IN THE FUTURE!" , posted Thu 28 Feb 01:37post reply

quote:

... pretty please?

Technically, BR doesn't need a reboot...it needs a re-release. Burning Rangers isn't really that broken, just forgotten. I've heard rumor that they just might try to bring it back if the Wii NiGHTS doesn't bomb.

Iggy
8397th Post

"Re(1):Backdraft...IN THE FUTURE!" , posted Thu 28 Feb 01:58post reply

quote:
I've heard rumor that they just might try to bring it back if the Wii NiGHTS doesn't bomb.

Awwwww...

Gojira
2310th Post

"Re(8):What game franchises need a" , posted Thu 28 Feb 10:03post reply

Card Fighters Clash.

Though rather than a reboot, what it needs is to be restored from backup data.

HAYATO
850th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Backdraft...IN THE FUTURE!" , posted Thu 28 Feb 16:54post reply

quote:

... pretty please?

Technically, BR doesn't need a reboot...it needs a re-release. Burning Rangers isn't really that broken, just forgotten. I've heard rumor that they just might try to bring it back if the Wii NiGHTS doesn't bomb.

If only they'd make a graphics-wise enhanced version for PS2 as they did with "Nights into Dreams", I'd be satisfied. The same should be applied to "Azel:PDSaga" and "Radiant Silvergun" amongst others...

Burning Ranger
1555th Post

"Re(2):Backdraft...IN THE FUTURE!" , posted Fri 29 Feb 09:11post reply

quote:

... pretty please?

If only they'd make a graphics-wise enhanced version for PS2 as they did with "Nights into Dreams", I'd be satisfied. The same should be applied to "Azel:PDSaga" and "Radiant Silvergun" amongst others...

I'm for a BR re-release. A reboot with enhanced gameplay would also be good. Keep the same action as the first game but add tight quarters and rescues via rubble excavation.

Radiant Silvergun definitely needs a reboot in HD.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

GekigangerV
1520th Post

"Re(3):Backdraft...IN THE FUTURE!" , posted Sat 1 Mar 13:31post reply

Just thought that it would be incredible if Capcom could work with AKI to release a Slam Masters game with the N64 wrestling game engine. Both of those things need to be rebooted.

Hell, they could make it a Wii Ware game with N64 graphics and I would buy it.

Spoon
1523th Post

"Re(4):Backdraft...IN THE FUTURE!" , posted Sat 1 Mar 17:03post reply

quote:
Just thought that it would be incredible if Capcom could work with AKI to release a Slam Masters game with the N64 wrestling game engine. Both of those things need to be rebooted.

Wouldn't be the same with Tetsuo Hara, though...
... unless for "reboot" purposes they hired somebody new to draw completely new and different looking designs...

Iron D
2821th Post

"Sonic?" , posted Sun 2 Mar 01:40post reply

I'm torn on the subject of Sonic. On one hand, some of the latest things they've done with Sonic have just disgusted me (Sonic Riders, Shadow, and the new Sonic) and I think to myself that I would rather have Sega not make anymore new Sonic games.

But then there's the Sonic Rush games, Sonic and the Secret of the Rings (or whatever the Wii game is called) and to a lesser extent the Sonic Rivals games (which I actually did enjoy). These are a bright spot and show that Sonic isn't quite dead yet.

Oh, and despite the fact that most don't consider any of the 2d games from the GBA onward to be on par with the classic 2d games, I would still say that I consider Sonic Advance 3 to be up there with Sonics 1, 2 CD and Spinball (but not quite up there with or Sonic 3 and Knuckles) in quality. That team system kicked all kinds of butt.

Now off of the subject of Sonic, I've been saying since before the Wii was released that it would be the perfect system for a Punch-Out resurrection. Wii boxing just wet my appetite further.

And I'm shocked that it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Streets of Rage has been begging to be brought into 21st century forever now. What I wouldn't give for a new SoR game...as long as it was good...

Er.....

ZamIAm
1701th Post

"Re(1):Sonic?" , posted Sun 2 Mar 04:11post reply

quote:
What I wouldn't give for a new SoR game...as long as it was good...

Sorry to sound rude but *coughgoodluckcough*

TreIII
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Sonic?" , posted Sun 2 Mar 05:43post reply

quote:
What I wouldn't give for a new SoR game...as long as it was good...

Just go play the "Streets of Rage" remake made by Bombergames.

http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_gallery/main.php

It's a PC fan-game, sure, but the work is high-quality stuff, including the remixed soundtrack. And, besides now-a-days, I wouldn't trust modern-day Sega with a Bare Knuckle/SoR game any way.

As for Sonic? Well, it's my personal hope that BioWare's upcoming RPG game for the DS may do a lot to upgrade the "pedigree" that we can come to expect from Sonic games. After all, if BioWare really does up the ante, Sega may have a harder time selling crap games and expecting it to sell.

Of course, that too, may be expecting too much from Sega...

GekigangerV
1523th Post

"Re(5):Backdraft...IN THE FUTURE!" , posted Sun 2 Mar 07:48:post reply

quote:

Wouldn't be the same with Tetsuo Hara, though...
... unless for "reboot" purposes they hired somebody new to draw completely new and different looking designs...

I love Tetsuo Hara, but his work in Ring of Destruction was pretty bad. Wraith, Saber and Black Widow were all kind of lame. Unless Hara owns the designs, can't we just have the original characters plus Zangief, Hugo, Alex and a new design or two. Although Hara was a great name to have attached to the original games(atleast in Japan anyways), I think they can move on without him.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sun 2 Mar 07:49]

Iron D
2823th Post

"Re(2):Sonic?" , posted Sun 2 Mar 19:06post reply

quote:

It's a PC fan-game, sure, but the work is high-quality stuff, including the remixed soundtrack. And, besides now-a-days, I wouldn't trust modern-day Sega with a Bare Knuckle/SoR game any way.

Heh. I actually already have that and it is freakin' awesome. It actually held me over for quite a while but I don't know...the whole unofficial thing still makes me wonder what an official SoR game would be like.

I'll just say this: I wouldn't want anyone to attempt it unless either Sega had the guts to hire Bombergames to make it, or they make DAMN sure that Yuzo Koshiro is on board. Or (best but by far least likely scenario) both.

Er.....

IkariDC
716th Post

"Re(3):SOR" , posted Mon 3 Mar 01:31post reply

quote:

Heh. I actually already have that and it is freakin' awesome. It actually held me over for quite a while but I don't know...the whole unofficial thing still makes me wonder what an official SoR game would be like.

I'll just say this: I wouldn't want anyone to attempt it unless either Sega had the guts to hire Bombergames to make it, or they make DAMN sure that Yuzo Koshiro is on board. Or (best but by far least likely scenario) both.

Actually, Yuzo already tried to unsuccessfully bring back the series. Have you seen the videos from the prototype Dreamcast version? I really dislike the FPS approach, although a new Bare Knuckle game means a new Bare knuckle soundtrack, I would be happy with that alone.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Iron D
2824th Post

"Re(4):SOR" , posted Mon 3 Mar 03:33post reply

quote:

Actually, Yuzo already tried to unsuccessfully bring back the series. Have you seen the videos from the prototype Dreamcast version? I really dislike the FPS approach, although a new Bare Knuckle game means a new Bare knuckle soundtrack, I would be happy with that alone.

Actually I had (probably subconciously purposely) forgotten about that, but I do shudder in remembering it.

Man, this thread is bringing up more and more reasons to NOT want a new SoR game. But yet, I can't help but still feel that need...

Er.....

ZamIAm
1703th Post

"Re(5):SOR" , posted Mon 3 Mar 03:54post reply

quote:
Actually I had (probably subconciously purposely) forgotten about that, but I do shudder in remembering it.

Man, this thread is bringing up more and more reasons to NOT want a new SoR game. But yet, I can't help but still feel that need...

I worry about remakes for games that are actually good. Stuff should only get a "reboot" if it is at/near rock bottom and has nowhere else to go but up. Intriguingly, I've contemplated script/plot for a live action SOR movie but I'm nowhere near being able to do that myself and I'd be downright terrified if Hollywood announced that someone had gotten the rights to it.

BTW, have you ever played any of the games made with the BOR/OpenBOR (Beats Of Rage) engine? www.lavalit.com

badoor
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):SOR" , posted Mon 3 Mar 10:38post reply

Speaking of SOR probably the reason SEGA didn't do a new game in the series is because it considers Spikeout as its spiritual successor. I loved spikeout. I remember that the arcade me and my brother used to go to had 4 cabinets connected for 4-players and the audio speakers extended from the cabinet right next to your ears. Good times

badoor
11th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):SOR" , posted Mon 3 Mar 10:47post reply

Speaking of SOR probably the reason SEGA didn't do a new game in the series is because it considers Spikeout as its spiritual successor. I loved spikeout. I remember that the arcade me and my brother used to go to had 4 cabinets connected for 4-players and the audio speakers extended from the cabinet right next to your ears. Good times

speaking about the topic, a new Crazy Taxi would be fun.

Iron D
2825th Post

"Re(8):SOR" , posted Mon 3 Mar 16:17post reply

quote:

speaking about the topic, a new Crazy Taxi would be fun.

I was interested in Spikeout. Is it worth playing if you have no chance of having any multi-player?

Er.....

Spoon
1524th Post

"Re(9):SOR" , posted Tue 4 Mar 05:47post reply

quote:

I was interested in Spikeout. Is it worth playing if you have no chance of having any multi-player?

It's about as worth playing as Streets of Rage is in single player.

HAYATO
853th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"OpenBoR FTW!!" , posted Tue 4 Mar 16:44post reply

quote:
BTW, have you ever played any of the games made with the BOR/OpenBOR (Beats Of Rage) engine? www.lavalit.com

Yeah, there are some great fan-made approaches to the beat'em up genre in this site, mainly "A tale of Vengeance", "Final Fight Apocalypse" and the original thing, "BOR" (although, had I a PSP Slim&Lite, I'd gladly give "Golden Axe Remake" a try).

I believe MUGEN and OpenBOR are the true spiritual successors to traditional vs. and beat'em up games. Too bad that almost all games crash (auto-exit) on PSP sooner or later...

Ishmael
3085th Post

"Re(1):OpenBoR FTW!!" , posted Tue 11 Mar 04:47post reply

For reasons I don't quite understand it popped into my head today that Chakan the Forever Man needed an update. If someone could make a modern game with that character -and hired someone besides the creator of Chakan to do the art- it could be quite good.