Interesting things to do in LA - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2796 Views )

Variable Savior
407th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Sun 27 Jan 09:20post reply

I'll be in Los Angeles for a couple days next week and am curious if anybody here knows of interesting (interesting by MMCafe standards that is) stuff to do and/or see. Anyone have any suggestions?

Blood marks heaven's path

Replies:

EddyT
622th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Sun 27 Jan 15:50post reply

UCLA arcade is nice... and on campus they have cool stuff like this place called Noodle Planet (good Asian food) and this one place that sold ice cream sandwiches and other things for dirt cheap. I forgot the name, having only been there once.

There's also Monterey Village Chinatown and Little Tokyo. There's one small arcade in Little Tokyo that you may want to check out... it was in some shopping plaza. Sorry I can't remember names.

A friend of mine also told me about a place that had nothing but cocktail table versions of video games throughout the whole bar. Once again, I don't know the name of the place...

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

GPA
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Mon 28 Jan 02:57post reply

quote:
UCLA arcade is nice... and on campus they have cool stuff like this place called Noodle Planet (good Asian food) and this one place that sold ice cream sandwiches and other things for dirt cheap. I forgot the name, having only been there once.

There's also Monterey Village Chinatown and Little Tokyo. There's one small arcade in Little Tokyo that you may want to check out... it was in some shopping plaza. Sorry I can't remember names.

A friend of mine also told me about a place that had nothing but cocktail table versions of video games throughout the whole bar. Once again, I don't know the name of the place...

Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

The shopping plaza is Mitsuwa, the arcade is on the very top floor if it's still there. There's also the Kinokuniya (about a block away from Mitsuwa) and Asahiya (in Mitsuwa) bookstores. And if you're in to any collectibles like figures or robots there's Anime Jungle which is near by Kinokuniya, they're kind of on the expensive side though.

crazymike
1408th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Mon 28 Jan 03:53post reply

Har har, this is why I love the cafe, instead of pointing out some good cultural museums and restaurants, we tell them what they really want to hear, "where is the damn gamez!"

Variable Savior
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Mon 28 Jan 13:42post reply

Thanks all for the suggestions

quote:

The shopping plaza is Mitsuwa, the arcade is on the very top floor if it's still there. There's also the Kinokuniya (about a block away from Mitsuwa) and Asahiya (in Mitsuwa) bookstores. And if you're in to any collectibles like figures or robots there's Anime Jungle which is near by Kinokuniya, they're kind of on the expensive side though.

Judging by the names I assume that these stores are in Little Toyko. If so, thats excellent since I was planning to go there and my hotel is only 1 mile away

Oroch
1010th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Mon 28 Jan 14:25post reply

quote:
Har har, this is why I love the cafe, instead of pointing out some good cultural museums and restaurants, we tell them what they really want to hear, "where is the damn gamez!"

its la, what did ya want to hear? goto whiskey a go go to hear van halen(with his 16 yo kid replacing anthony on the bass) or snort some crack with a tranny hooker on santa monica blvd

:)

GPA
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Tue 29 Jan 01:16post reply

quote:

This makes me remember that I haven't been to the La Brea Tar Pits since elementary school. Same for the Natural History Museum. I should go there again sometime. Oh, if you get a chance to go to Burbank, Warner Bros. Studios has guided lot tours where you can sometimes maybe possibly see an actor or two.

KTallguy
998th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Tue 29 Jan 04:02post reply

Arcade Infinity in Diamond Plaza is south of LA, but a bit too far from LA proper. But that's my favorite place.

LA has excellent Chinese Food though. Dim Sum, Dumplings, god... just thinking about it.

Play to win.

simonbelmont
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Tue 29 Jan 05:38post reply

Eat at Zankou! One of the few things I miss about living in Cali. The Chicken Tarna plate and Beef Shawerma Plate are both excellent. Liquor prices in Cali are low too.

http://www.zankouchicken.com/

exodus
4066th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(6):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Tue 29 Jan 16:01post reply

quote:
Arcade Infinity in Diamond Plaza is south of LA, but a bit too far from LA proper. But that's my favorite place.

definitely check out arcade infinity if you can. nice little place.

Also the MOCA in Japan Town has a takashi murakami exhibit right now. I've heard it's good, and am going the weekend after this coming.

Amakusa
737th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Tue 29 Jan 16:04post reply

quote:

Speed Zone is just down the street. Go there instead.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

ktallguy
1002th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Wed 30 Jan 03:32post reply

quote:

Speed Zone is just down the street. Go there instead.

boooo

Play to win.

simonbelmont
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Sat 2 Feb 14:54post reply

Fuck the arcades. LA ain't HK. This is what LA is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9dBiw7xfVU

Variable Savior
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Sun 3 Feb 12:59post reply

quote:

Also the MOCA in Japan Town has a takashi murakami exhibit right now. I've heard it's good, and am going the weekend after this coming.

It was a great show - I wasn't a big Murakami fan going in but I really loved the exhibit. Definitely check it out

The arcade in the shopping center reminded me of one of the reasons arcades are dead - broken controls/buttons. Oh well, least it gave me the desire to play Project Justice on my DC.

There's a new game store by the arcade with next to nothing on the shelves - it was really rather depressing...

Oh and I saw a homeless guy with a cellphone. And he was getting calls. Presumably from his agent

EddyT
625th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Interesting things to do in LA" , posted Sun 3 Feb 13:32post reply

quote:

Oh and I saw a homeless guy with a cellphone. And he was getting calls. Presumably from his agent

Beverly Hills has the nicest dressed bums ever. I'm being serious when I say that.