BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5075 Views )

TreIII
67th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 01:46post reply

Well, damn. SBX isn't even technically "finished" yet, and yet, ASW has already announced another game.

Neo-Arcadia's got some scans from Famitsu up on their site.

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/News/voir_news.php?id_news=1

While the art style may not be as "distinct" from GG as I may have wanted initially, it DOES interest me that, if NeoArc is correct, that this will be ASW's second go-round on the Taito X hardware.

I can only hope that, above making their sprites even more hi-res than before, that they'll actually take the time to actually ANIMATE those sprites better first.

Any way, just wanted to share, since this bit of news has been going around.

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Replies:

Gojira
2291th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 02:14post reply

I don't know why, but seeing that amalgamation of Dante and Cloud at the top holding Sol's lighter already raises my ire.

Iggy
8334th Post

"Re(1):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 02:32post reply

Also, this piece of news sparked a rumour about Basara X being cancelled. As far as I can say, there is no source for it, but...

TreIII
68th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 02:47post reply

quote:
Also, this piece of news sparked a rumour about Basara X being cancelled. As far as I can say, there is no source for it, but...

...What would be the reason for it? Unlike say, Battle Fantasia, most people liked this game. Hell, the recent AM-net poll had the game at a solid 20, right up there with the likes of Akatsuki (10), KOF98-UM (22), MB: Actress Again (14) and Street Fighter 4 (5!?!).

- http://am-net-bbs.com/2008best/ac/vote.cgi

Not to mention the fact that it's on the System 256 means it's basically dirt cheap for them to craft and sell the game, so that it can later be easy to port to the PS2 for the sake of the BASARA fans. And according to NeoArcadia, it's set to release in April.

So...logic would dictate that SBX should be alright...I would think, at least.

On another note...there seems to be some sort of assertion that this game takes place in the same universe as GG. Can I get any confirmation on that? Possibly from some one with either better eyes or a better scan, than I do? ^^

Ishmael
3041th Post

"Re(3):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 02:55post reply

quote:
On another note...there seems to be some sort of assertion that this game takes place in the same universe as GG. Can I get any confirmation on that? Possibly from some one with either better eyes or a better scan, than I do? ^^

Whether or not BB shares the same universe as GG they certainly seem to already have plenty in common. Is there anything -be it the game engine or anything else- to distinguish BB from GG? Between the similar setting and the initial character roster using the exact same archetypes that GG ran with there doesn't seem to be a lot separating the two titles at the moment.

Iggy
8335th Post

"Re(3):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 03:39post reply

quote:
...What would be the reason for it?

None that I can think of. That's the cool thing with rumours ! Now, let's talk about the Dreamcast 2...

quote:
On another note...there seems to be some sort of assertion that this game takes place in the same universe as GG. Can I get any confirmation on that?

I haven't read anything along those lines, but then I'm short-sighted.

Arngrim
316th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 07:04post reply

quote:

Wtf is this? A GG ruled out characters fest?

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

Toxico
4346th Post

"Re(2):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 07:19post reply

quote:

Perhaps, GG director (Daisuke Ishiwatari was it?) thought that Sol didn't properly portrayed him on his wet dreams, hence; decided to create another character for that purpose.

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of mens

Iggy
8336th Post

"Re(3):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 07:41post reply

quote:
Perhaps, GG director (Daisuke Ishiwatari was it?) thought that Sol didn't properly portrayed him on his wet dreams, hence; decided to create another character for that purpose.

Actually, Ishiwatari doesn't seem to be involved.

Toxico
4347th Post

"Re(4):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 08:01post reply

quote:

Then, his spirit remains (?)

TreIII
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 08:44post reply

quote:

Then, his spirit remains (?)

From what I heard, he's still on-board for Music.

Pollyanna
2416th Post

"Re(6):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 09:20post reply

Those are some pretty awful character designs. But then again, maybe I'm just old and out of touch. It seems like I'm always saying "terrible art, terrible design". Maybe the "utter shit" of the past is the "totally radical" of today.

Still, I'm excited about the game. Any new 2D fighter is a good 2D fighter in my book.

Maou
1351th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 11:38:post reply

quote:
Maybe the "utter shit" of the past is the "totally radical" of today.
No, don't worry, people's tastes have just gotten worse. The Amano's of yesterday are the Nomura's of today, and maybe one in 50 modern games will have as excellent visual design as Final Fantasy XII or Wander and the Colossus. Oh, but when they do, it makes wading through all this nonsense bearable. At least the female, Noelle, has an appealing design even if the guys look stupid.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 24 Jan 11:41]

Spoon
1478th Post

"Re(8):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 13:40post reply

I wonder if this project is going to detract from work on Sengoku Basara X, seeing as how pretty substantial tweaks/additions have gone in to every loketest.

I also wonder when they're going to actually release this game. If Sengoku Basara X actually ends up being a good competitive game that people play, isn't there the chance of there being too much ArcSys stuff on the floor at once?

Because I don't see people suddenly abandoning GG no matter how much better SBX or this new game is, simply because GG is something that they've grown onto over the years. Unless of course these games make people realize how much they hate the current versions of whatever character in GG, and that induces them to drop the game.

HAYATO
844th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(9):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Thu 24 Jan 16:45post reply

Oh, wow, more generic animu-esque shit!!!Those designs suck hard, really really hard. It seems as if they designed them this awful way on purpose. And the voice of experience tells me that, being Ishiwatari involved somehow, that pretty chick will, in the end, turn into something not so feminine at all...

TreIII
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Fri 25 Jan 00:51post reply

Sheesh, tough crowd here. XD

Any way, NeoGAF JP translators have a bit more to tell:

quote:
OP is filled with lies.

- it's not really HD, only the backgrounds are HD and they scroll
- it's not related to Guilty Gear in any way whatsoever story wise
- it's not even produced by Ishiwatari, although he'll still be doing the music
- I don't see any confirmation that it's Type-X from the article, but that might be from elsewhere

- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9457399&posted=1#post9457399

The Taito X2 hails from AM-net, but in short, it seems that the game's HD stature may have been a bit premature...

Doesn't stop me from looking forward to the game, sure, but I know some people are going to be a bit disappointed that this game doesn't push HD like some may want...

Iggy
8338th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Fri 25 Jan 01:51post reply

quote:
Doesn't stop me from looking forward to the game, sure, but I know some people are going to be a bit disappointed that this game doesn't push HD like some may want...

Really? I'm not familiar with the crowd that play modern fighting games, but is it such an important factor to them?

Spoon
1479th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Fri 25 Jan 02:38post reply

quote:

Really? I'm not familiar with the crowd that play modern fighting games, but is it such an important factor to them?

I think it's not so much something that people think about in terms of "HD or I won't play it!" than it is, "I really wish they'd make HD resolution sprites that are nicely animated, because fighting game sprites have been low res since forever, and technology really HAS improved since 1998".

Maou
1355th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Fri 25 Jan 04:48:post reply

quote:
fighting game sprites have been low res since forever, and technology really HAS improved since 1998".
Wait, Spoon---there were fighting games after Zero 3 and Third Strike? Clearly I did not get the memo.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 25 Jan 04:50]

Spoon
1480th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Fri 25 Jan 05:34post reply

quote:
fighting game sprites have been low res since forever, and technology really HAS improved since 1998". Wait, Spoon---there were fighting games after Zero 3 and Third Strike? Clearly I did not get the memo.

Yes, I picked that date on purpose :D

But even Guilty Gear X (not XX or XX#r!) came out in 2000 (i.e. AFTER 1998), and it's pretty far from state of the art in terms of video game technology today.

Arngrim
318th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Fri 25 Jan 17:19post reply

quote:

And the voice of experience tells me that, being Ishiwatari involved somehow, that pretty chick will, in the end, turn into something not so feminine at all...

That would be one of the few things that could redeem this title!!

Release after release, my brain is unconsciously creating a logic hostility towards all this development of events.[/wrists]

If I had come around these scans on any random image board, I would have come to think that it's a arcade port of some obscure doujin game.

Pollyanna
2420th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Fri 25 Jan 18:56post reply

quote:

If I had come around these scans on any random image board, I would have come to think that it's a arcade port of some obscure doujin game.

Now now, the game doesn't look amateurish, it's just the art.

But to be fair, I suppose I'm saying that before seeing it in motion.

Arngrim
320th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Fri 25 Jan 19:34post reply

quote:

Now now, the game doesn't look amateurish, it's just the art.

But to be fair, I suppose I'm saying that before seeing it in motion.

That's true. I should have said a very ellaborate doujin game.

I mean, I don't especially care about unimpressive rosters. I can frankly say that I enjoyed Arcana Heart a lot, for example. But Arcana Heart had a lot going on underneath and proved to be really great. But one of the most important points is that they game had charm, you could already tell that this game was not pretentious, but you could detect something appealing in the design and the interface (no, I'm not refering to the moé undertones, even though it could a factor to take into account).

But, in this case, there's something that reeks uninspiration there. It gives the feeling that this game will be like Battle Fantasia, except for less hype, less interesting characters and a GG carbon copy gameplay.

chazumaru
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(19):ChazBlue (ASW's new arcade fighter)" , posted Mon 28 Jan 04:22post reply

quote:
Is there anything -be it the game engine or anything else- to distinguish BB from GG?

It's back to four buttons. That counts for something!

quote:

ASW is simply churning out new original characters and IPs as soon as possible, because time is running out for the already announced SAMMY vs CAPCOM that will mark the apex of AtomisWave's supremacy in Japanese Arcades.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Toxico
4349th Post

"Re(2):Re(19):ChazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Mon 28 Jan 16:52post reply

quote:
SAMMY vs CAPCOM

If I can't play as trojan, I'll burn someone to death.

Spoon
1484th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):BlazBlue (ASW's new arcade fight" , posted Mon 28 Jan 18:22post reply

quote:

like Battle Fantasia, except for less hype,

... that is going to take some serious lack of effort to achieve.

GrandC
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Overture?" , posted Tue 29 Jan 03:47post reply

Wait a minute...
I thought the official sequel of Guilty Gear is Guilty Gear II: Overture?
Yes, it's a Xbox360 game. But the story is solid.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Shin is Ky's son, adopted by Sol... just like Rock Howard-Geese Howard-Terry Bogard relationship...

End of Spoiler

TreIII
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Overture?" , posted Tue 29 Jan 06:23post reply

quote:
Wait a minute...
I thought the official sequel of Guilty Gear is Guilty Gear II: Overture?
Yes, it's a Xbox360 game. But the story is solid.

And GG2 IS the official sequel. BlazBlue, however, takes place in another universe altogether, and has no bearing on the GG plot, whatsoever (which is probably for the better).

Any way, new scan reveals the 4th character:
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/41/vip443890mo9.jpg

Say hello to this game's Potemkin: "Teigaa" (Tager? Lil help, Red Falcon?)

Credit to Suzaku over at dustloop:
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=218444&postcount=147

nobinobita
263th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Overture?" , posted Tue 5 Feb 17:08post reply

I'm not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet, but Blaz Blue is in HD, running at 1280 by 768, compared with Guilty Gear which was 640 by 480. Here's a comparison of the sprites:

http://www.akiba-ch.com/img.php?s=c&img=2008013006

From this site:
http://www.akiba-ch.com/?p=403

The graphics are looking really dang nice. I agree that the character designs are a bit lackluster, but I think they may grow on me.

Grave
988th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Overture?" , posted Tue 5 Feb 19:04post reply

quote:
The graphics are looking really dang nice. I agree that the character designs are a bit lackluster, but I think they may grow on me.

Oh, no doubt. I think everybody has been universally bored to shit by the designs, but I think I can easily look past it if the game is good.

Can Arc make a game that really plays differently, though...?

Pollyanna
2432th Post

"Re(4):Overture?" , posted Tue 5 Feb 19:29post reply

quote:

Can Arc make a game that really plays differently, though...?

What do you mean? Hokuto no Ken and Guilty Gear play way differently and Battle Fantasia doesn't look like it plays like either of them.

To be fair, I haven't played BF, but if I didn't know it was made by Arc Sys, I wouldn't make a connection at all.

I guess Basara X looks a bit like HnK, but it's too early for me to judge.

Toxico
4353th Post

"Re(5):Overture?" , posted Wed 6 Feb 01:55post reply

quote:

What do you mean? Hokuto no Ken and Guilty Gear play way differently and Battle Fantasia doesn't look like it plays like either of them.

This is like pointing out how zero SF games play different than strikes; granted, it isn't the same, but it isn't a true attempt to modify the "game mechanics / engine / style"

Grave
989th Post

"Re(5):Overture?" , posted Wed 6 Feb 07:44post reply

quote:

Okay, plays differently wasn't what I really meant to say. "Feels" different, I guess? I only got to spend a little time with Hokuto no Ken, but I definitely got a GG vibe from almost everything I saw and did. I get a whole lot less of that from the videos of Sengoku Basara X I've seen recently, though, and I don't know enough about Battle Fantasia to say... but the presentation of BlazBlue that we've seen so far doesn't do much to convince me that it's going to feel as different as I'd like it to.

Ishmael
3057th Post

"Re(6):Overture?" , posted Tue 12 Feb 01:29post reply

The BlazBlue page is up. Those are mighty pretty backgrounds if nothing else.

chazumaru
507th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Battle Fantasia PS3+360" , posted Wed 13 Feb 17:47post reply

Slightly unexpected! I am happy to find a reason to use my dusty Virtua Stick on my dusty PS3, but somehow it makes the lack of port for TRF2 even more frustrating.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Grave
993th Post

"Re(1):Battle Fantasia PS3+360" , posted Wed 13 Feb 17:55post reply

Hey, neat! Finally, a reason to be excited about PS3's lack of game region locks.

nobinobita
267th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Overture?" , posted Thu 14 Feb 15:51post reply

quote:
The BlazBlue page is up. Those are mighty pretty backgrounds if nothing else.

Damn those backgrounds look good! If only the characters had that much character to them. Well the sprites look good though.

I wonder if the game will zoom in and out. I hope it doesn't, cos the wide screen will give you a little more playing space and ... i dunno, I just don't like how sprites glisten and lose detail when you mess with scaling.

repukken
45th Post

Rare Customer

"BlazBlu AOU Direct Feed Trailer" , posted Sat 16 Feb 03:31post reply

In case anyone missed it, here's the direct feed AOU Trailer to BlazBlu

BlazBlu AOU '08 Trailer

"Everytime you praise someone that they're one in a million just remember that only means there's 5000 of them in China..." -new chinese proverb

nobinobita
272th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):BlazBlu AOU Direct Feed Trailer" , posted Sat 16 Feb 03:57post reply

quote:

BlazBlu AOU '08 Trailer

Here's a more clear version:

http://www.famitsu.com/fwtv/?51213614#

The game looks really good in motion! They didn't cheap out on the animation!

Ishmael
3067th Post

"Re(2):BlazBlu AOU Direct Feed Trailer" , posted Sat 16 Feb 04:22post reply

I like how the trailer had really high production values right up until the point that the anemic announcer mutters "Finish... you win" through her nose.

Burning Ranger
1553th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):BlazBlu AOU Direct Feed Trailer" , posted Sat 16 Feb 08:12post reply

quote:

BlazBlu AOU '08 Trailer

This game just looks and behaves like Guilty Gear...right down to the rock music (is it absolutely certain that Daisuke Ishiwatari isn't involved?). It looks awesome in that over-the-top sort of way. I definitely hope this comes stateside for an arcade release or at least for release on the consoles (Japanese PS3 games run fine on US PS3s, right?).

Looking forward to this along with KOFXII.

Also, since its an Arc Systems game, you think there will be a BlueBlaze vs Guilty Gear in the future?

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Ktallguy
1011th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):BlazBlu AOU Direct Feed Trailer" , posted Sat 16 Feb 08:36post reply

I hate to be a downer, but it looks just like Guilty Gear, except with really ugly character designs...

Why didn't they just make a new 2D GG? The characters have similar moves too! It's such a waste.

Play to win.