"Games that no one else cares about" thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3879 Views )

Ishmael
3039th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

""Games that no one else cares about" thread" , posted Wed 23 Jan 03:01post reply

Sometimes you come across a game that looks so wonderful that you want to shout about it from the rooftops even though you know nobody else would be interested. Hence this thread.

To start it off I was thrilled when I saw new images from the latest Sega Bass Fishing game. I am convinced that Sega is never better than when they put out fishing games so I'm glad to see they are finally returning to what they do best. Not only is Sega Fishing back but the game looks as if it has had virtually no upgrade to its graphics. I particularly like how in the final image on the first page the Terry Bogard-ish fisherman is just sort of hovering over his poorly rendered boat. I'm hoping for a DC port as well but that may be just wishful thinking. But that really doesn't matter because what's important is that the game still screams Fish!! when you hook a fish and that this series of frantic, foolish fishing simulators will once again be avaliable for home systems.

Replies:

KTallguy
993th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 03:16post reply

Rogue-likes like Furai no Shiren, but I guess MMCafe-ers would love those games...

Um ... Monster Hunter Freedom 2? I've been seriously addicted for months now...

Play to win.

Just a Person
1048th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 03:59post reply

Well, mine would be Digimon Rumble Arena (the original one for PSX, not the PS2/Xbox/GC sequel). As a fan of the Digimon animes (the games may be lame, but I consider the animes quite goods - mainly the third one, Tamers), it was really cool to put the main digimons from different seasons to fight each other, while the kids from these seasons also appear and even speak when they are digivolving. It was like a nice crossover game (even though it had no story).

The sequel was nice (far worse than Super Smash Bros., of course, but still nice), but the lack of digimons from different seasons of the anime (almost all of them are from the first one) and the absence of the kids made the game less interesting to me.

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Kikkoken
1150th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 05:07post reply

Mine is Dewy's Adventure on Wii. I love the controls, the sounds, the graphs, and still wonder why people don't succumb to its charm.

Iggy
8331th Post

"Re(3):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 05:11post reply

I don't know if it's on-topic, but I've been playing only two games the last two weeks : Forgotten Worlds in some Capcom compilation for PS2, and the Phantom Blood game.

I'm ashamed to say I never played Forgotten Worlds, and what a mistake it was. I was really astonished by the number of bullets on screen for a game of 1990, and it was really fun to play with the LR buttons to turn around.

As for the Jojo game, what can I say ? It's a game that was bound to be a great kusoge even before it was released. I bought it 1000 yens a few month after its release, and hadn't opened it until now.
And is it a GREAT and shitty kusoge. the fighting is clumsy, most of the models are meh, the voice actors suck, Jonathan screams NanisuruNda !, Dany doesn't die, and other lame stuff, but you can, no, you MUST vogue every 5 seconds to survive. Each voguing position gives different bonuses, that can stack (for example, +5 attack, +7, +11...) but for a short period of time... which is reinitialised when you do the same pose again (while raising the attack/speed/defense/regeneration). So to have all 4 bonuses active, you have to vogue every 3 or 4 seconds, and end up the fight with ridiculous bonuses. I haven't played long enough to see if there is any limitation to this system, but who cares if this is unbalanced ?
I have never loved Jonathan so much. If the system is how I think it is, I think it might become my favourite Jojo game.

Evenor
619th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 05:30post reply

quote:
Mine is Dewy's Adventure on Wii. I love the controls, the sounds, the graphs, and still wonder why people don't succumb to its charm.

I am really interested in this game actually! Dewy to me looks really "voluptuous" or something ; it's creepy.

Anyways, the game I loved that no one cared was Rule of Rose. The gameplay is horrible, but of course that wasn't the appealing factor to me. The music was nice too.

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Spoon
1477th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 05:54post reply

quote:
Forgotten Worlds and Phantom Blood

Forgotten Worlds is a seriously good game. Better late than never!

Me and my pals made much the same discovery with Phantom Blood back when it came out: the best way to win a fight is to just stand there doing poses until you stack up a huge amount of power/speed/whatever. That alone made it hilarious, nevermind anything else about the game. But I had thought you had played it long ago for the Dio extras?

I get the feeling that No More Heroes will count as a game that nobody cares about, and it's a game that I'll be getting soon. I'll probably have some angry and elitist things to say about it after I get to playing it.

KTallguy
996th Post

"Re(5):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 06:14post reply

quote:
I get the feeling that No More Heroes will count as a game that nobody cares about, and it's a game that I'll be getting soon. I'll probably have some angry and elitist things to say about it after I get to playing it.

Let me know what you think of it.

Play to win.

Tai-Pan
207th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 06:20post reply

All the Captain Tsubasa games made by Tecmo.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Gojira
2291th Post

"Re(5):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 06:31:post reply

I don't know if it was something no-one else cared about - I haven't seen it on any Capcom compilations these days - but I was always fond of The Speed Rumbler. I loved rolling out of the car with my little 8x8 sprite and trying to see how far I could go before getting run over by a dozen tanks.

EDIT: Wow after a little searching for any Collections that contain it I found out that the main character in the game was actually Super Joe. I never knew that.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 23 Jan 06:41]

Maou
1348th Post

"Re(2):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 06:33post reply

Ishmael, your thread idea is great! And it really is all about the ironic fishing.

quote:
Rogue-likes like Furai no Shiren, but I guess MMCafe-ers would love those games...
Oh YEAHHHHH! We played Fuurai and Toruneko in high school for ever and ever. So simple, but strangely thrilling for fear of death.

Speaking of which, I am currently in love with:

Phantasy Star II (Sega Ages PS2 remake, but the original will do for conversation). It's ancient, from 1989 (my RPG cutoff period is usually with 16bit, around 1991/2, meaning FF IV and Lunar~The Silver Star are the oldest things I've played), yet even with the most simple remake, Phantasy Star II is so UTTERLY compelling.

Maybe it's the fact that the game wants to kill you, which I appreciate...and unlike with the last game that wanted to do that to me, FF XII, leveling up in this game is quick and---bizarrely---FUN. FUN?! I don't know why. I'm not the OCD kind to level up or "perfect" a game, but somehow it's absolutely a blast leveling up in Phantasy Star II, probably because it's a survival necessity as opposed to a "sidequest" or "something you could do rather than going on with the story."

The tension of only just suriving dungeons is stellar, especially when you can't revive your guys...so when Eusis (aka Rolf or something US?) with the teleport out of dungeon spell died, I had to battle my way to the end, and then out.

The story is way ahead of its time, and delightfully sombre. I'm only just getting back to Paseo with the Recorder from the overrun Bio System lab, but I already feel great things are on the way...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Rid
7118th Post

"Re(1):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 20:45:post reply

I was playing Silent Bomber (PS1, but it's on that virtual console thing the PS3 and PSP have) a few days ago, and it's a very very good game. The difficulty is a bit broken in a couple of bosses, but the gameplay is fast and intense, and the graphics are surprisingly nice.

Also, Twinkle Tale for the Mega Drive, one of the best character shooters I've played, recommended for you poeple that like to emulate things as the cart is rare and it has been fantranslated.

And last, Magical Pop'n for the Super Famicom, easily one of the best platformers on the system, with one of the cutest main characters out there. Also fantranslated so check it if you can.

(Oh, and Shantae, but I've mentioned it many times in the past)

news - art

[this message was edited by Rid on Wed 23 Jan 20:47]

EddyT
621th Post

"Re(2):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 22:14:post reply

I see Capcom is getting some love here... I will continue the trend and add Black Tiger to the list. I remember back in the day, when I was 10 or something... I beat the game without continuing. In my ripe old age, I haven't been able to replicate that feat. Still, I have fond memories and I still play it whenever I get the chance.

There was a game called Rad Action, which also went by the name Ninja Kid II. It was an arcade game by UPL/World Games... really old school game that was hard as hell and I never beat it, but it was pretty solid as a platformer. Got frustratingly difficult in certain parts... even with unlimited credits you could get stuck in certain parts of the game.

Ninja Kid II

Uh... Double Dragon Advance is also a favorite of mine. Best remake of a classic I've ever seen... although Bionic Commando Rearmed may challenge that. The game manages to make everything so much better, yet keeps the feel and the general look of the game the same.

Finally, I would like to add Time Soldiers. Probably my favorite rotary stick game ever by SNK/Romstar. I hope they put this in a future compilation someday. BEST DEATH SCREAM EVER

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 23 Jan 22:14]

Just a Person
1050th Post

"Re(5):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 22:43post reply

quote:
Anyways, the game I loved that no one cared was Rule of Rose. The gameplay is horrible, but of course that wasn't the appealing factor to me. The music was nice too.

I never played Rule of Rose, but I read the plot at GameFAQs and it is great! Kinda disturbing, and sad as well...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Zepy
1428th Post

"Re(3):" , posted Wed 23 Jan 23:35post reply

quote:

Speaking of rogue-likes and JoJo

Another game that nobody cares about that I really loved was Yume Nikki, that game about dreams. All you could really do in the game was walk around all the different dreams and look for the inhabitants and gain abilities, but the game was so crazy and artistic, and it really spooks me with some of the things that are in there. The ending was horrible.

Iggy
8333th Post

"Re(4):" , posted Thu 24 Jan 02:28post reply

Zepy, I love you. Please marry me.

Ishmael
3040th Post

"Re(3):" , posted Thu 24 Jan 02:47post reply

quote:
Finally, I would like to add Time Soldiers. Probably my favorite rotary stick game ever by SNK/Romstar. I hope they put this in a future compilation someday. BEST DEATH SCREAM EVER

I loved how in Time Soliders you initially felt pretty snazzy decked out in your jump suit and space bazooka but the moment you went back to whatever time period you had to destroy you would get swarmed by guys who had more armor and firepower than you. They built people to last back then!

Toxico
4346th Post

"Re(2):" , posted Thu 24 Jan 04:21:post reply

quote:
I am convinced that Sega is never better than when they put out fishing games

Face your childhood and die.

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of mens

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 24 Jan 04:22]

HAYATO
842th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"My game of choice" , posted Thu 24 Jan 05:36post reply

quote:
Speaking of rogue-likes and JoJo

Another game that nobody cares about that I really loved was Yume Nikki, that game about dreams. All you could really do in the game was walk around all the different dreams and look for the inhabitants and gain abilities, but the game was so crazy and artistic, and it really spooks me with some of the things that are in there. The ending was horrible.

LOL, Diavolo's Bizarre Adventure!!! I heard from it long ago, but I felt discouraged by the disc system (I couldn't understand it properly). If anyone would be kind enough of providing a mini FAQ, I may try it again...

And, for me, one of the most precious and valuable games ever is Sega Saturn's "Astal" (which I recently covered on my blog). After patiently waiting for about 12 years I managed to play it for the first time some days ago, and it amazed me once again (although I tried it several years ago on a friend's modded Saturn and watched some footage before I hadn't the chance to play it myself until now).Truly a masterpiece, this 2D platformer is one of the richests and more colorful I've ever seen, with an outstanding soundtrack which is , by itself a reason good enough to purchase the game. A game that would make Recap shed tears of joy...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I'd like to publicly express my thanks to IkariDC, who provided me with the means to get an original copy of the game back in 2002.

End of Spoiler

Maou
1349th Post

"Re(1):My game of choice" , posted Thu 24 Jan 06:31post reply

Holy cow! Astal! I remember seeing (but never playing) Astal, which looked pretty gorgeous. The soundtrack is absolutely great from what I've listened to thus far. Wow. Thanks for the heads-up!

IkariDC
706th Post

"Re(2):My game of choice" , posted Thu 24 Jan 06:49post reply

Astalos cojones! You're welcome pal.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Pollyanna
2417th Post

"Re(3):My game of choice" , posted Thu 24 Jan 12:37post reply

I have wondered many a time if I would love Astal as much as I did when I was younger. I really don't like nostalgia. Like...I almost dislike it, so I tend to be wary of the statement "it's as good as I remember it".

But surely...surely Guardian Heroes at least is still excellent?

Moving on, I've mentioned both of these games before, but mine are Sangokushi Taisen for DS and Grim Grimoire for PS2.

Sangokushi Taisen is murderously addictive, overflowing with some of the most beautiful artwork I've seen, and has enough depth to keep you playing...indefinitely, I guess. I've actually had to forbid myself to play it, so that I can play other things instead.

Grim Grimoire, despite having a sometimes bothersome interface looks pretty, is challenging (if occasionally frustrating) and has an outstanding plot. Ah, and the voice acting is very good on the Japanese end.

I like a lot of other "non-mainstream" games, but those are the unpopular or unheard of ones (outside of Japan) that come to mind.

Maou
1352th Post

"Re(4):My game of choice" , posted Thu 24 Jan 12:57:post reply

quote:
I like a lot of other "non-mainstream" games, but those are the unpopular or unheard of ones (outside of Japan) that come to mind.

Which reminds me, I'm waiting for some to mention that wonderful-sounding recent game Chulip where you kiss people and spread joy to a sad world. Or so I hear. I also hear that it somehow got an overseas release, which blows my mind.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 24 Jan 12:58]

IkariDC
707th Post

"Re(5):My game of choice" , posted Thu 24 Jan 16:24post reply

quote:
Which reminds me, I'm waiting for some to mention that wonderful-sounding recent game Chulip where you kiss people and spread joy to a sad world. Or so I hear. I also hear that it somehow got an overseas release, which blows my mind.

Actually, I got this one game in the mail this very week, but since I started playing Zack & Wiki I haven't played it yet. I remember that I saw some videos when it was released in Japan and it really caught my attention. When I learned it got an US release, faithful to the original and uncensored, it was only a matter of time to finally grab it.

I wanted to get some hours of play before I posted about it on this thread, but since you already mentioned it...

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Iron D
2812th Post

"Re(6):My game of choice" , posted Thu 24 Jan 22:22post reply

Whenever this topic comes up, I always jump to the one series that seems to get no love whatsoever: PANZER DRAGOON.

It's odd because even here where the members of this board pride themselves on playing non-mainstream, lesser known games that most have never even heard of, NO ONE talks about PD ever (with the exception of one brief conversation between ZamIam and myself).

It's a shame too, because the series is pure gold. Panzer Dragoon 2 holds up in quality to this very day (the first PD not so much unless you played it when it came out and you're really nostalgic), everyone has heard about how underappreciated and rare PD Saga is (and I will say that it is THE most innovative RPG I've ever played...perhpas the overall best RPG as well), and and PD Orta is probably my favorite shooter ever.

The series presents a lush, history with stories that do link together but aren't bogged down with continuity issues, the characters are great, the dragon and enemy designs are so stylized and recognizable, and the games are some of the most atmospheric I've ever played. The PD series is truly a world unto itself.

And the soundtrack...to any of the four games...oh, don't even get me started on those epic pieces of sonic bliss.

Hmmm...it would seem that I may have OVERhyped the games but still...I can't wrap my head around why more people haven't at least played PD Orta...

Er.....

Maou
1352th Post

"Re(7):My game of choice" , posted Fri 25 Jan 01:22post reply

quote:
Whenever this topic comes up, I always jump to the one series that seems to get no love whatsoever: PANZER DRAGOON.

It's odd because even here where the members of this board pride themselves on playing non-mainstream, lesser known games that most have never even heard of, NO ONE talks about PD ever (with the exception of one brief conversation between ZamIam and myself).

It's a shame too, because the series is pure gold. Panzer Dragoon 2 holds up in quality to this very day (the first PD not so much unless you played it when it came out and you're really nostalgic), everyone has heard about how underappreciated and rare PD Saga is (and I will say that it is THE most innovative RPG I've ever played...perhpas the overall best RPG as well), and and PD Orta is probably my favorite shooter ever.

The series presents a lush, history with stories that do link together but aren't bogged down with continuity issues, the characters are great, the dragon and enemy designs are so stylized and recognizable, and the games are some of the most atmospheric I've ever played. The PD series is truly a world unto itself.

And the soundtrack...to any of the four games...oh, don't even get me started on those epic pieces of sonic bliss.

Hmmm...it would seem that I may have OVERhyped the games but still...I can't wrap my head around why more people haven't at least played PD Orta...

No fear, Iron D, I know the legends of which you speak! I followed Saturn a long time and marvelled at Sega's first-party games, and almost bought one so I could play Lunar~Silver Star Story, but the combined force of a PS port for that and Final Fantasy VII proved too great. As penance for never getting to really play Panzer or Virtua Fighter 2 like I wanted to, I've made two friends buy (Japanese) Saturns in the last year. Why they listen to me about this, who has never owned a Saturn, I have no idea, but they're big 2D kids, so...

I've considered playing Panzer Dragon on the Sega Ages PS2 lineup since Phantasy Star II and the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box pleased me so, but I have this fear of playing old 3D games for the first time, since they don't age very well (especially not the first generation of 3D consoles). Hmm!

ZamIAm
1687th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Fri 25 Jan 03:05post reply

quote:
I've considered playing Panzer Dragon on the Sega Ages PS2 lineup since Phantasy Star II and the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box pleased me so, but I have this fear of playing old 3D games for the first time, since they don't age very well (especially not the first generation of 3D consoles). Hmm!

I own PD1 on the Saturn and in my opinion it has aged relatively well. The creators managed the right combo of geometric and organic shapes for the models, probably due to the fact that you are looking at creatures and not humans (other than the rider).

---

On to the main topic, I'd like to note Industrial Spy: Operation Espionage and Fighter Destiny 2.

I-Spy had a number of issues (low poly count, 8-bit music) but it also had a lot of unmet potential. A few more levels (or a level editor) and a few more options and it would have been really good. People complain that you don't have 100% direct control of the agents sort of miss the point of the game. At the same time, some of the agents' skills get inadvertently undermined (ie. Kleopatra can hypnotize a guard to fight for you but two guards are rarely close enough to each other for it to be a better option than just killing the guard).

I like Fighter Destiny 2 (and I did eventual purchase the prequel, Fighter's Destiny). While most of the characters and level stages are pretty generic (there's a ninja named...Ninja) I like the concept of having a fighting game where you get the option of various scoring systems (throwdowns, ringouts, counter-strikes) as opposed to just beating someone senseless. It could use slightly smoother animation, some movelist tweaking, and more varied stages but that's a moot point now.

Maou
1353th Post

"Re(1):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Fri 25 Jan 04:45post reply

quote:

I own PD1 on the Saturn and in my opinion it has aged relatively well. The creators managed the right combo of geometric and organic shapes for the models, probably due to the fact that you are looking at creatures and not humans (other than the rider).
Interesting!! Maybe I could manage it after all? If it's abstract enough, that works...pre-3D geometric 3D like 16-bit Starfox is incredibly fun, for instance. Does that compare? Then-realistic first-gen 3D that was later proven to be...ugly...is what I fear (Tekken 2-3 and Virtua Fighter Remix are dead to me).

Kikkoken
1152th Post

"Re(5):" , posted Fri 25 Jan 05:06post reply

quote:

I am really interested in this game actually! Dewy to me looks really "voluptuous" or something ; it's creepy.

Well, I guess I must edit my post since at least someone else cares about Dewy! I'm playing the 4th level now (volcano) and the controls have become a second nature. I'm still more than ever under the charm and it's very satistying to master the physics of that drop of water. There's room for exploration pretty soon in the game, too, which adds replay value to the game, and is rewarding, as you can get collectibles like structures to use in the level editor.
Last thing you should know, Evenor, the price of the game seems to have dropped to £20 on some online shops. You should defnitely check it out.

Juan
4448th Post

"HHHHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFG" , posted Fri 25 Jan 15:18:post reply

One of my favorite Dreamcast games is Illbleed. No one cared about it probably because it had a ton of problems, like weird controls and bad camera. The game also had the habit of not telling you what to do next, so it felt like a 3d version of Friday the 13th for the nes.

If you enjoy pain and got past those problems, you get a game that is campy horror paradise. Bad voice acting, b movie horror cliches, and the satanic Zodic the Hedgehog as a boss.

Here is a classy trailer with Duke Nukem telling you that you will shit with fear-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F5hUni0dy4o also

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VKl2sgevpKE&feature=related

think well your answer

[this message was edited by Juan on Fri 25 Jan 15:46]

Pollyanna
2419th Post

"Re(1):HHHHFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" , posted Fri 25 Jan 16:37post reply

quote:
One of my favorite Dreamcast games is Illbleed.

Illbleed was the worst game I ever loved. I felt like playing it was SUPPOSED to be masochistic, though. (like the hide n' seek)

To this day, I still say "you're pretty psychic!" on occasion.

HAYATO
845th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):My game of choice" , posted Fri 25 Jan 17:00post reply

quote:

Fear not, you didn't. Azel Panzer Dragoon is one of those few games that deserve a remake in any next-gen console to appear till the end of time (really, it's that great)...

Iron D
2814th Post

"Re(2):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Fri 25 Jan 19:26post reply

quote:

I own PD1 on the Saturn and in my opinion it has aged relatively well. The creators managed the right combo of geometric and organic shapes for the models, probably due to the fact that you are looking at creatures and not humans (other than the rider). Interesting!! Maybe I could manage it after all? If it's abstract enough, that works...pre-3D geometric 3D like 16-bit Starfox is incredibly fun, for instance. Does that compare? Then-realistic first-gen 3D that was later proven to be...ugly...is what I fear (Tekken 2-3 and Virtua Fighter Remix are dead to me).

Well then I'm not sure what to tell you. Tekken 3 holds up okay for me, and I understand what you mean when you say that first gen PS/Saturn graphics don't hold up too well...that's why I wouldn't recommend PD1. It runs at 30 fps (actually, less than that I think) and there is just too much clipping going on with the backgrounds. PD2 holds up darn well, though. It's got a nice frame rate (not 60 FPS obviously, but a decent framerate somewhere above 30 FPS), less clipping and texture warping, and some impressively big enemies. As long as you remember that you're playing a second gen Saturn game, you should be fine with PD2.

And to HAYATO, thanks for the reassurance. I know it's hard to find (and pretty expensive when you can find it) but if anyone else has the ability to get a copy of PD Saga and has a Saturn then by all means do it!

Er.....

Arngrim
322th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):My game of choice" , posted Fri 25 Jan 20:08:post reply

quote:

Actually, I got this one game in the mail this very week, but since I started playing Zack & Wiki I haven't played it yet. I remember that I saw some videos when it was released in Japan and it really caught my attention. When I learned it got an US release, faithful to the original and uncensored, it was only a matter of time to finally grab it.

I wanted to get some hours of play before I posted about it on this thread, but since you already mentioned it...

Wha---!? I didn't knew about this game!! And the premise is just awesome.
Must get.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

[this message was edited by Arngrim on Fri 25 Jan 21:02]

Digitalboy
516th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):" , posted Fri 25 Jan 22:32post reply

I have had this game for a couple of months and I have just started playing this game.

Iggy how do you strike a pose/vogue in Phantom Blood?

quote:
As for the Jojo game, what can I say ? It's a game that was bound to be a great kusoge even before it was released. I bought it 1000 yens a few month after its release, and hadn't opened it until now.
And is it a GREAT and shitty kusoge. the fighting is clumsy, most of the models are meh, the voice actors suck, Jonathan screams NanisuruNda !, Dany doesn't die, and other lame stuff, but you can, no, you MUST vogue every 5 seconds to survive. Each voguing position gives different bonuses, that can stack (for example, +5 attack, +7, +11...) but for a short period of time... which is reinitialised when you do the same pose again (while raising the attack/speed/defense/regeneration). So to have all 4 bonuses active, you have to vogue every 3 or 4 seconds, and end up the fight with ridiculous bonuses. I haven't played long enough to see if there is any limitation to this system, but who cares if this is unbalanced ?
I have never loved Jonathan so much. If the system is how I think it is, I think it might become my favourite Jojo game.

Pollyanna, I am also finally playing Godhand because of your recommendation. I bought this the same time I bought Phantom Blood and a whole bunch of other games.

I am playing it on normal and I cannot make it past through the first area. Is there something wrong with me? I thought Ninja Gaiden on normal difficulty for Xbox was hard, Godhand is even more difficult.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Iggy
8340th Post

"Re(5):" , posted Sat 26 Jan 00:04post reply

quote:

You need to play until you meet Zeppelli.
Then, it's [1-4] punch and X. Maybe there is more as Jonathan levels up, I haven't played much farther.

TreIII
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):" , posted Sat 26 Jan 02:20post reply

quote:
You need to play until you meet Zeppelli.
Then, it's [1-4] punch and X. Maybe there is more as Jonathan levels up, I haven't played much farther.

Ahh, Phantom Blood...probably the one "love to hate it" game in my collection.

It's kind of funny how you can do some crazy, broken crap in this game though. For instance, wait until the time you get to play as the "Brats" from Chapter 1. You can quite literally just "rush knee" Jonathan to death in a stupid loop, and he can't do ANYTHING about it. XD

And Straights getting his own multi-hitter, along with a repeating syllable was LOL-worthy too.

"Kono Sutoraitsuzo! YOSHIYA-SEMU-SEMU-SEMU-SEMU-SEMU-SEMU-SEMU (repeats for a while longer)!! YOSHIYA-SEMU!!!!"

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Spoon
1481th Post

"Re(5): The Not-Awful Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 02:35post reply

quote:

I am playing it on normal and I cannot make it past through the first area. Is there something wrong with me? I thought Ninja Gaiden on normal difficulty for Xbox was hard, Godhand is even more difficult.

The thing about the first area is that 99.99% of all people playing it for the first time will encounter the demon and die horribly. Your attacks aren't terribly damaging (though thankfully enemy health is rather low at this point in the game), and if you managed to kill a bunch of people and raise the lvl meter a bit before the demon pops out, then it can destroy you very very quickly.

So you have to learn how to use the right stick, the one for dodging. It is arguably the most important control thing in the game. While I could regale you about dodge cancelling, all you really need to get a feel for this early in the game is the fact that unless you are doing a flying attack (like that running jump kick), you can at ANY TIME cut your attack short by dodging. So the lesson is, if you sense danger, hit a dodge direction.

---

I have had much joy in making people play Vampire Rain.

Ishmael
3043th Post

"Re(6): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 03:02post reply

quote:

I found this guy has made some very nice videos demonstrating different techniques to remember while playing Godhand. I particularly liked the ones on juggling, one on attack interrupts, and another on how to evade and counter.

Just remember that the moment you start to get good the enemies are really going to start coming after you so you're always going to be on your toes no matter what you do.

Red Falcon
5985th Post

"Re(7): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 04:16post reply

I'd have way too many to mention here... I guess I'll start with "Devilish". Out of curiosity, has anyone else ever heard of it? Heh heh.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Spoon
1482th Post

"Re(8): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 05:06post reply

quote:
I'd have way too many to mention here... I guess I'll start with "Devilish". Out of curiosity, has anyone else ever heard of it? Heh heh.

Didn't that game get a DS release last year?
I hear it's much older than that, but I never played its original incarnation.

Battle Construction Vehicles (name of EU release) is pretty bad... and pretty funny. Me and my pals have a sunk a good few hours into trying to get through the entire story mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnfauIMuACk

I played through all of 10,000 Bullets (name of EU release, again...). It's not bad in the phenomenal way that some games are, but it's mediocre. I fear that I'm growing dispassionate in my old age, and am now willing to sink my time into things that are merely mediocre as opposed to things that are outstandingly bad.

Time Mage
2626th Post

"Re(7): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 05:51post reply

quote:
I found this guy has made some very nice videos demonstrating different techniques to remember while playing Godhand. I particularly liked the ones on juggling, one on attack interrupts, and another on how to evade and counter.

Just remember that the moment you start to get good the enemies are really going to start coming after you so you're always going to be on your toes no matter what you do.

Just play in hard, and they'll be ALWAYS on "Die" . When you beat it, you feel like you're a hero. I know I sang the credits song quite loudly as they were rolling.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Ikari Loona
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 06:53post reply

If nobody else mentions Live A Live then I'll have to - one of the most refreshing RPGs that never made it to western shores, but fortunately got fan-translated:

http://www.fantasyanime.com/legacy2/livealive.htm

A handful of very different stories - I particularly like the prehistoric and chinese ones, and fighting-game inspired one was pretty cool and the mood was perfect on the robot chapter. The ninja chapter has a lot to it too. Later on things get a bit more traditional, only to smack you in the face for daring to believe there'd anything typical about it.

I also love the battle system, it has more to do with placement than on numbers, and the boss music's great.

Also, "I'm the tayaki guy!" has to be the best sentence ever to start a fight with.

Another discovery I made last year was Donkey Konga - the second game, actually. Hitting those bongos beat any DDR or Guitar Hero experience for me, I guess I'm a percussion-inclined guy.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Maou
1356th Post

"Re(9): world is square" , posted Sat 26 Jan 07:08post reply

quote:
Live A Live
I remember playing a minute or two of that before getting distracted by other Square games. I also own a copy of Bahamut Lagoon that I played for an hour before getting sidetracked...I wonder how many other people have the last-gen SFC Square games on their list? Surely someone somewhere must care about Treasure Hunter G, or something? Not that I do, but I don't see why someone wouldn't!

sfried
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 07:34post reply

quote:

Didn't know music was done by Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Pollyanna
2421th Post

"Re(5):" , posted Sat 26 Jan 07:50post reply

Digitalboy

I think everyone else has you covered, so there's not much I can add. Really, I didn't have much trouble with God Hand at any point, but I think it's just in my blood or something...it's not like I'm really good at most games. I do remember saying "wow, this IS hard!" after failing the first time on the first level, though.

Red Falcon

Ahhh! I loved that game when I was like...10. On PC Engine, right? I thought about picking up the remake, but as I mentioned before, I have a bias against nostalgia and I wasn't sure if it would actually still be good.

Ikari Loona

I can't say I loved Live a Live, because I'm not big on "variety games", but it had a lot of novelty to it. I loved the super robot chapter (especially the theme song!) and I was delighted at how original the space chapter was. I initially thought "I have to be a crappy robot? This is gonna suck!" and I was delightfully surprised.

Spoon
1483th Post

"Re(6):" , posted Sat 26 Jan 08:11post reply

Live A Live is definitely cool. I was quite surprised how even some of the very short scenarios could have a variety of outcomes (like one of my favourites, the Wild West scenario).

Evenor
621th Post

"Re(9): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 26 Jan 09:59post reply

quote:
If nobody else mentions Live A Live then I'll have to - one of the most refreshing RPGs that never made it to western shores, but fortunately got fan-translated:

A handful of very different stories - I particularly like the prehistoric and chinese ones, and fighting-game inspired one was pretty cool and the mood was perfect on the robot chapter. The ninja chapter has a lot to it too. Later on things get a bit more traditional, only to smack you in the face for daring to believe there'd anything typical about it.

I also love the battle system, it has more to do with placement than on numbers, and the boss music's great.

Also, "I'm the tayaki guy!" has to be the best sentence ever to start a fight with.

Though I've never played it, I really love the Final Boss of Live a Live.

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

ZamIAm
1688th Post

"Re(3):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Sat 26 Jan 12:44post reply

quote:
Then-realistic first-gen 3D that was later proven to be...ugly...is what I fear (Tekken 2-3 and Virtua Fighter Remix are dead to me).

Well then I'm not sure what to tell you. Tekken 3 holds up okay for me, and I understand what you mean when you say that first gen PS/Saturn graphics don't hold up too well...that's why I wouldn't recommend PD1. It runs at 30 fps (actually, less than that I think) and there is just too much clipping going on with the backgrounds.

I forgot about the clipping and the framerate but I still think PD1's pretty good. I guess it's an opinion thing. http://www.sega-saturn.net/ has a few screenshots of the first game and perhaps YouTube might have some movies. There is also a PC version of the original and if I'm correct it fixed some of the clipping issues. I do know that the PC version was what was ported in the unlockable for Orta and not the Saturn version.

---

Speaking of games of varied versions I'll mention Sonic R here. After a point I actually started to LIKE the music (but you'll never see me driving through the neighborhood playing it). 2P mode is borderline unplayable due to the horrible draw in distance.

---

Iron D, you're west coast, right?

sfried
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Sat 26 Jan 14:23post reply

I'll try my luck...

Banana Man (I'm sure Falcon has heard of it)

Iron D
2815th Post

"Re(4):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Sat 26 Jan 14:26post reply

quote:
Then-realistic first-gen 3D that was later proven to be...ugly...is what I fear (Tekken 2-3 and Virtua Fighter Remix are dead to me).

Well then I'm not sure what to tell you. Tekken 3 holds up okay for me, and I understand what you mean when you say that first gen PS/Saturn graphics don't hold up too well...that's why I wouldn't recommend PD1. It runs at 30 fps (actually, less than that I think) and there is just too much clipping going on with the backgrounds.

I forgot about the clipping and the framerate but I still think PD1's pretty good. I guess it's an opinion thing. http://www.sega-saturn.net/ has a few screenshots of the first game and perhaps YouTube might have some movies. There is also a PC version of the original and if I'm correct it fixed some of the clipping issues. I do know that the PC version was what was ported in the unlockable for Orta and not the Saturn version.

---

Speaking of games of varied versions I'll mention Sonic R here. After a point I actually started to LIKE the music (but you'll never see me driving through the neighborhood playing it). 2P mode is borderline unplayable due to the horrible draw in distance.

---

Iron D, you're west coast, right?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are in many ways like long-lost brothers. I've been playing a lot of Sonic R lately as well (on the Gamecube Sonic Gems Collection) and feel that that game is also underappreciated. And while I could see not many people liking the music, I do.

And yes, I'm on the west coast.

Er.....

Maou
1357th Post

"Re(5):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Sat 26 Jan 14:30post reply

quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are in many ways like long-lost brothers.

Megazord unite! Bridge the East and West (Coast)!

Which reminds me, Red Falcon, I still wanna take you on in SF and Soul Calibur next time you're near DC. Or anyone else for that matter, if there's an arcade.

ZamIAm
1689th Post

"Re(5):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Sun 27 Jan 09:35post reply

quote:
I've been playing a lot of Sonic R lately as well (on the Gamecube Sonic Gems Collection) and feel that that game is also underappreciated. And while I could see not many people liking the music, I do.

The Sonic Gems: Sonic R is from the PC port of that game which slightly tightened the control, added weather systems, and fixed the 2P draw-in distance/level of detail (at the sacrifice of a few transparency effects). It sucks that the roster of Sonic R isn't even remotely balanced.

Due to our similarities I'd almost suggest you get I-Spy and FD2 but I-Spy has a somewhat unfriendly learning curve for a beginner and even afterwards you do have to be in a specific mindset to get into it. FD2, as noted, has a level of genericness to the roster that's even more blatant if you lack 2P play and I don't know if you'd be able to find someone willing to play a older 3D fighter on an N64. And unfortunately, one of said generic characters is named "D-Dog"...

---

And since I finally found the cartridge (it's been lost for forever) I shall proudly add Shantae to this thread. Now, if only I can find the instruction book...

Iron D
2816th Post

"Re(6):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Sun 27 Jan 17:41post reply

quote:

The Sonic Gems: Sonic R is from the PC port of that game which slightly tightened the control, added weather systems, and fixed the 2P draw-in distance/level of detail (at the sacrifice of a few transparency effects). It sucks that the roster of Sonic R isn't even remotely balanced.

Yeah, most of the hidden characters are useless. As is Amy. Can't speak for Robotnik, as I haven't used him yet, but he sure looks useless.

I didn't know that about the PC port, but it sounds like those are all improvements.

Er.....

IkariDC
708th Post

"Re(7):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Mon 28 Jan 04:45post reply

Hey Spoon, you mentioned Battle Construction Vehicles again after a long time! I really enjoyed the hilarious story mode, but the game is really really crappy...

I've been putting some hours into Chulip and I can say that it's a pretty nice game. Think of a whacky Bokujou Monogatari minus all the tedious farming and working side of the game and there you've got the basics of the game.

If ayone is interested I can go into the details and write here a mini-review.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Maou
1358th Post

"Re(8):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Mon 28 Jan 04:56post reply

quote:
If ayone is interested I can go into the details and write here a mini-review.

Hey, that'd be fun! I remember reading a little about it a long time ago and thinking it sounded charming, but obviously it didn't make enough of an impression to make me track down a copy, which I probably should.

Black_Hayato
207th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Pinball" , posted Mon 28 Jan 09:33post reply

I'm kind of a secret pinball fan. When I go to arcades or bars I'd also play around of drunk Ms.Pacman and some pinball. But they're not really something ppl talk about.

Its a combination of an artful application of your twitch/shmup skills and the lucky gambler's high. That gives me such a mellow calm. I could turn around and take a blow to the head and walk it off.

My favs right now are:

Sonic Pinball Party - Probably the best character bases pinball game out there. 3 unique boards(Sonic, Nights, & Samba) with changing themes and predictable controls.

Flipnic Ultimate Pinball - I don't think this game will ever be topped. Its like a pinball adv. game. Instead of tables you get worlds which are sub-divided into branching interconnected tables. For instance in Biology you play around a rainforest unlocking paths, like freezing a waterfall, and breaking past it to fight a boss based on evolution theory. The worlds are so big that the manual includes a map. Each table has different physics to like the ball being on water slows it, different gravity effects etc. After this traditional pinball games will bore you.

Rid
7118th Post

"everybody super sonic racing" , posted Mon 28 Jan 10:49post reply

quote:
Speaking of games of varied versions I'll mention Sonic R here. After a point I actually started to LIKE the music (but you'll never see me driving through the neighborhood playing it).

Oh, but I have. It's a shame that R gets so much hate, it's way more fun than other Sonic games from yesteryear like Spinball or 3D Blast.

Can you seeeeeee - The Sun is shining on meeeeee

news - art

Maou
1360th Post

"Re(1):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Mon 28 Jan 15:11:post reply

Toot toot sonic warrior, viva space and time...

PS: Black Hayato, pinball is AWESOME. It's just hard to find a good machine. Friends and I found what are probably the two best machines ever made, one being this invaders from Mars-themed one with great mechanics and secrets and delightful audio-visual, and its similar cousin being the castle-invading one. Just outstanding. Oh, here it is, even.

Let's Pinball like it's 1979. With Murakami.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 28 Jan 15:14]

Iron D
2817th Post

"Re(1):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Mon 28 Jan 16:20post reply

quote:
Oh, but I have. It's a shame that R gets so much hate, it's way more fun than other Sonic games from yesteryear like Spinball or 3D Blast.

3d Blast maybe, but Spinball? BLASPHEMY!

Er.....

Iggy
8343th Post

"Re(2):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Mon 28 Jan 20:07post reply

I totally forgot !
Nervous Brickdown went totally unnoticed last year, and it is easily one of the best things France as a whole has produced lately. It's a breakdown, with a lot of themes, clever tricks, and so on. And it's cute. And it's French. And the people who did it are the nicest people on Earth. And I waited for the japanese version to play it, because I'm... well, you know me.

EddyT
623th Post

"Re(3):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Mon 28 Jan 22:16post reply

Does this game count as a nomination?

I found it through this BBS years ago. It's ALL YOUR FAULTS

IkariDC
709th Post

"Re(9):Obscurity and Haterade" , posted Mon 28 Jan 22:36post reply

quote:
If anyone is interested I can go into the details and write here a mini-review.
Hey, that'd be fun! I remember reading a little about it a long time ago and thinking it sounded charming, but obviously it didn't make enough of an impression to make me track down a copy, which I probably should.

Ok, I'm at work now and on Mondays I take private japanese lessons, so I'll go stright to bed when I arrive at home today. I'll write it tomorrow!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

ZamIAm
1690th Post

"...gonna lift your feet right off the ground" , posted Tue 29 Jan 00:37post reply

quote:
Speaking of games of varied versions I'll mention Sonic R here. After a point I actually started to LIKE the music (but you'll never see me driving through the neighborhood playing it).

Heh, I'd probably get shot playing it. I did discover that it can be placed directly in a CD player to play the music (as opposed to buying a soundtrack).

---

Iron D: Yeah, the PC/Gamecube version is considered better than the Saturn version with the sole bonus being transparency effects which are normally neglible. The noteworthy advantage to the Saturn's transparency effects(and as disclosure I haven't played the PC/GC version yet) is that the Radiant Emerald course in itself is transparent, sort of like Mario Kart's Rainbow Road. BTW, exactly how good/bad is Sonic the Fighters/Sonic Championship?

KTallguy
999th Post

"Re(9): The Godly Godhand" , posted Tue 29 Jan 04:10post reply

quote:

OMG, I love Live a Live!! I was playing all of the scenarios "in order" but I stopped at the sort of modern day one. Shit, I really need to finish that game. It was so refreshing. I liked the way the game changed as you played the different scenarios. I loved the Ninja one especially :)

It's worth completing, right ?

Play to win.

Kikkoken
1153th Post

"Re(3):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Tue 29 Jan 06:51post reply

quote:
It's a breakdown, with a lot of themes,

Sounds like a description of my dissertation...

Spoon
1485th Post

"Re(4):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Tue 29 Jan 09:01post reply

Nervous Brickdown is great for the name alone, nevermind the fact that it's actually a solid game.

One of the questions that I don't know the answer to is what became of the people that made the game Sanvein on the PSX? I loved that game, it was so full of energy, and so many terrific things.

It seems people didn't spring for Glory Days 2, in spite of the fact that it is a good and fun game. Sure the battles can seem to get stuck in a stalemate if the fighter jets are all doing their job, but if you play with just helicopters the game is great fun. I especially like how at least half of the hundreds of units that get killed in a multiplayer battle are usually killed by friendly fire of some kind.

Black_Hayato
208th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Tue 29 Jan 11:34post reply

quote:
Toot toot sonic warrior, viva space and time...

PS: Black Hayato, pinball is AWESOME. It's just hard to find a good machine. Friends and I found what are probably the two best machines ever made, one being this invaders from Mars-themed one with great mechanics and secrets and delightful audio-visual, and its similar cousin being the castle-invading one. Just outstanding. Oh, here it is, even.

Let's Pinball like it's 1979. With Murakami.

Man,....THANK YOU! I have fond memories of Indiana Jones and Star Wars machines.

exodus
4065th Post

"Re(1):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Tue 29 Jan 15:57post reply

quote:

third vote for sonic R. can you feel the sunshine? does it brighten up your day?

Holiday
2590th Post

"Re(3):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Tue 29 Jan 16:27post reply

I loved rAf WORLD (Famicom) to bits back in the days. Dunno why it took me over a year to complete the whole game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4NH3bPsf9k

I played a lot of Power Blazer (Famicom) too. It's a Rockman clone but the hero uses boomerangs as weapons. I remember having a lot of trouble with the dragon boss. The ending was nice I think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9v56_Z7IPI

KTallguy
1004th Post

"Re(2):everybody super sonic racing" , posted Wed 30 Jan 03:38post reply

quote:
third vote for sonic R. can you feel the sunshine? does it brighten up your day?

I never played Sonic R, but I do remember bumping the soundtrack in my car in college on the way to Diamond Plaza until my friend forced me to change it to something else.

Play to win.

Iron D
2818th Post

"Re(1):...gonna lift your feet right off the g" , posted Wed 30 Jan 14:54post reply

quote:
BTW, exactly how good/bad is Sonic the Fighters/Sonic Championship?

Well, uh...that's a tough one. As a Sonic fanboy, I love the game. Then again, it's not like I can't admit when a Sonic game is bad (every 3d Sonic game since Adventure 2 has gotten gradually worse).

I'll say this: I could see how a non-Sonic fan wouldn't like it. THe move lists are small, and most of the characters share the same moves (like the K,K,K combination or the forward+P clap move). At the same time, it definitely feels like how a Sonic fighting game should feel. The music is Sonic-esque which is of course a very good thing (although it's all original music), the graphics are nice with vibrant colors and very cool backgrounds (if you haven't seen Mecha Sonic's stage you're missing out) and the last two battles with Mecha Sonic and Robotnik are friggin' cool.

All that, plus it has Fang. FANG. One of the most underappreciated Sonic characters.

So to you, I'd recommend it. To any Sonic fan, I'd recommend it. To someone who isn't into Sonic, I wouldn't.

Er.....

chazumaru
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"PSSST YOU MUST BE NOVA." , posted Wed 30 Jan 22:14:post reply

quote:
I played a lot of Power Blazer (Famicom) too. It's a Rockman clone but the hero uses boomerangs as weapons. I remember having a lot of trouble with the dragon boss. The ending was nice I think?

Hey! The Western version Power Blade, which is slightly different, is my favorite NES game ever. It uses the Natsume character gabarit (Shatterhand / Blue Shadow) rather than the Rockman-style of the JP version, had a few level design tweaks and was so successful in the West that Taito produced a sequel. The aptly named Power Blade 2 (which is far less interesting) follows the graphic style of Power Blade and therefore looks nothing like Power Blazer; so Taito had to rename the Famicom version "Captain Saver". The BGM of every single stage in Power blade / Power Blazer were so fantastic, I still spontaneously whistle them from times to times.

In fact, I am amazed that enough (American) people were nostalgic and noisy about Bionic Commando that we are getting a remake and a sequel of that, yet so few players born in the early Eighties care about Power Blade. It's not even that I think it is unfair or anything, I am just completely puzzled because I remember the game as being heavily praised in magazines, upon release, and it was definitely a commercial success in the West. What happened to the game's fans?

PSSST YOU MUST BE NOVA.
I'M YOUR CONTACT HERE.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Wed 30 Jan 22:15]

Tai-Pan
208th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):PSSST YOU MUST BE NOVA." , posted Thu 31 Jan 05:39post reply

quote:

Hey! The Western version Power Blade, which is slightly different, is my favorite NES game ever. It uses the Natsume character gabarit (Shatterhand / Blue Shadow) rather than the Rockman-style of the JP version, had a few level design tweaks and was so successful in the West that Taito produced a sequel. The aptly named Power Blade 2 (which is far less interesting) follows the graphic style of Power Blade and therefore looks nothing like Power Blazer; so Taito had to rename the Famicom version "Captain Saver". The BGM of every single stage in Power blade / Power Blazer were so fantastic, I still spontaneously whistle them from times to times.

In fact, I am amazed that enough (American) people were nostalgic and noisy about Bionic Commando that we are getting a remake and a sequel of that, yet so few players born in the early Eighties care about Power Blade. It's not even that I think it is unfair or anything, I am just completely puzzled because I remember the game as being heavily praised in magazines, upon release, and it was definitely a commercial success in the West. What happened to the game's fans?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW POWER BLADE!! One of my favourite games which I still play from time to time mainly because I loved it's soundtrack!!! Do you know who was responsible for the music?

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Toxico
4351th Post

"..." , posted Thu 31 Jan 06:43:post reply

This topic has really caught on, as for me; for the short time I managed to borrow a Neo Geo Pocket; I used to be glued to this baby, and it's gundam rip off storyline... (Faselei!).

And it's refreshing to see that I'm not the only one that still remembers the nes, this was one of my personal favourites, but the video quality really doesn't do the game, nor it's amazing soundtrack justice (Metal Storm).

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 31 Jan 06:44]

Spoon
1490th Post

"Re(1):..." , posted Thu 31 Jan 06:53:post reply

quote:

And it's refreshing to see that I'm not the only one that still remembers the nes, this was one of my personal favourites, but the video quality really doesn't do the game, nor it's amazing soundtrack justice (Metal Storm).

Haha, I remember being so hyped for that game back when I first saw it in Nintendo Power.
Even today, its gravity flipping game mechanic still feels novel.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 31 Jan 06:54]

IkariDC
711th Post

"Re(2):PSSST YOU MUST BE NOVA." , posted Thu 31 Jan 07:57post reply

quote:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW POWER BLADE!! One of my favourite games which I still play from time to time mainly because I loved it's soundtrack!!! Do you know who was responsible for the music?

It's Kinuyo Yamashita, she's awesome! She composed tons of neat stuff, including the soundtrack to the very first Castlevania game after she graduated from college. For that feat alone I must worship her!

By the way Maou, I didn't forget about the review, tomorrow I'll finish writing and editing it.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Tai-Pan
209th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):PSSST YOU MUST BE NOVA." , posted Thu 31 Jan 11:39post reply

quote:

It's Kinuyo Yamashita, she's awesome! She composed tons of neat stuff, including the soundtrack to the very first Castlevania game after she graduated from college. For that feat alone I must worship her!

By the way Maou, I didn't forget about the review, tomorrow I'll finish writing and editing it.

I remember once I was playing that game and my girl was like "the music sounds like Gloria Estefan" or some other latin musician. lol
I love that soundtrack.

Spoon
1492th Post

"Re(4):PSSST YOU MUST BE NOVA." , posted Thu 31 Jan 13:57:post reply

quote:

power blade

I kinda wonder what counts as "obscure" with respect to old games, though.

I had a famicom and disk system back in the 90s, so any game I had that wasn't released in North America was almost automatically obscure. Similarly, all but the biggest names from the 8-bit era are relatively obscure these days. The release of Solomon's Key on the VC gives me hope, though!

Also, I thought this line in that site of Kinuyo Yamashita's you linked was funny:
"learnig english."

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 31 Jan 13:57]

Red Falcon
5987th Post

"Re(1):..." , posted Fri 1 Feb 16:17post reply

quote:
This topic has really caught on, as for me; for the short time I managed to borrow a Neo Geo Pocket; I used to be glued to this baby, and it's gundam rip off storyline... (Faselei!).

Metal Storm is a great game. You know or like "VICE: Project DOOM"?

Best site EVER:Link Here

Grave
983th Post

"Re(2):..." , posted Fri 1 Feb 17:02post reply

Metal Storm is the shit. Whenever I'm back in PA, two games rotate in my NES: Metal Storm and Zanac. That's pretty much it.

And I do have a complete copy of Vice, though I've never given the game that much time for whatever reason. I was always more excited about the complete copy of Kabuki Quantum Fighter.

Toxico
4353th Post

"Re(2):..." , posted Fri 1 Feb 17:35:post reply

quote:
Metal Storm is a great game. You know or like "VICE: Project DOOM"?

Actually, I do; I played a few stages while I was extremely drunk at a friend's house. He completed the game while I was watching, but I don't have a good, solid, bright recollection of that.

What I do remember certain similarities to Ninja Gaiden, and the fact that the biggest appeal on the game was that the game itself had several game modes, I recall very well one of the car stages, and I remember that the last stage was old school kind of fun.

I have been looking for playing this game properly on a Nes, but most likely I'll touch the game via Wii's Virtual Console.

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 2 Feb 05:22]

Ikari Loona
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10): The Godly Godhand" , posted Sat 2 Feb 04:05post reply

quote:
OMG, I love Live a Live!! I was playing all of the scenarios "in order" but I stopped at the sort of modern day one. Shit, I really need to finish that game. It was so refreshing. I liked the way the game changed as you played the different scenarios. I loved the Ninja one especially :)

It's worth completing, right ?

Several times even - you know the Ninja chapter gives you different rewards for either killing every human in the fortress or none of them? There's exactly a 100, which is part of the reason why your character keeps track of them after battles.
I did leave that chapter for last since it seemed so complex compared to the others.

It's also funny how they got the mecha/near-future's chapter tune so close to its inspirations - too bad the fan translation only toosed in the lyrics in Japanese, that thing is catchy.

When you're done with the scenarios you can pick from at the beginning there's even more and some interesting variations depending on the choice of character, I don't think you'll regret it.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

KTALLGUY
1005th Post

"Re(2):Re(10): The Godly Godhand" , posted Tue 5 Feb 05:10post reply

quote:
Several times even - you know the Ninja chapter gives you different rewards for either killing every human in the fortress or none of them? There's exactly a 100, which is part of the reason why your character keeps track of them after battles.
I did leave that chapter for last since it seemed so complex compared to the others.

It's also funny how they got the mecha/near-future's chapter tune so close to its inspirations - too bad the fan translation only toosed in the lyrics in Japanese, that thing is catchy.

When you're done with the scenarios you can pick from at the beginning there's even more and some interesting variations depending on the choice of character, I don't think you'll regret it.

Awesome, yea I knew about the Ninja thing. Honestly it was such an original game with so many different, radical settings. I feel like with the high production values of today it's so expensive to make games like this... :( But I will definitely finish it at least once!

Play to win.

Sensenic
1593th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Re(10): The Lively Live" , posted Wed 6 Feb 23:36post reply

quote:
blah blah,Live A Live, blah blah

{You called?

That's one little game I came across once and decided to give it a chance... And it got me.

I particularly fell in love with the Western chapter, or, more precisely, its beginning... It was so promising, that later the chapter itself felt incredibly short, and the trap-setting gameplay was kind of disappointing. I wanted to see more spaghetti-western-like scenes. More duels, more quick drawing and overall "badassery"... But whatever, it is awesome enough as it is.

The contrast between the charmingly stereotypical stories for each chapter and the originality of the gameplay due to the different gimmicks (the human killing, the mind-reading, the enemy smelling and graphic dialogs...), the simple yet original and functional battle system, the... I'll spoilertag it just in case, if you want to enjoy it fully, but nothing big

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
the "oh, this one's more your typical RPG stor... oh wai... oh shi" development of the eighth chapter...

End of Spoiler

And some other possible surprises at the end... make it a really unique game, worth playing and replaying indeed, KTallGuy.

Besides it's rather short (compared to your average RPG) and won't take that much time.

And a special mention goes to the also stereotypical and simple yet wonderfully composed (IMHO) soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura... Live-A-Live, Megalomania, Wanderer, Secret Mission, "the bird flies, the fish swims" and "Go! Go! Buriki Daioh!" are themes that I love to listen to time and again (and seeing the sprites "dancing" to the music in the "sound test" mode is a very cute touch.).

Actually he's already here.

"When the finger points to heaven the idiot looks at the finger."
-A kid from Amélie.

Maou
1364th Post

"Re(4):Re(10): The Lively Live" , posted Thu 7 Feb 04:47:post reply

This is quite a lot of unexpected praise for Live A Live! I'm intrigued since I never picked it up...I could probably grab a 500yen copy somewhere, so my question is: it's short, but how short? I want a short RPG since I'm busy trying to play Phantasy Star II, which takes...some time.

edit: plus I'm still surprised no one played (or liked) Treasure Hunter G or Bahamut Lagoon, speaking of the overlooked. I have used a Lagoon, but the guy before me had a game at the end and I think it might've been long...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 7 Feb 04:49]

Spoon
1497th Post

"Re(5):Re(10): The Lively Live" , posted Thu 7 Feb 06:28post reply

quote:
This is quite a lot of unexpected praise for Live A Live! I'm intrigued since I never picked it up...I could probably grab a 500yen copy somewhere, so my question is: it's short, but how short? I want a short RPG since I'm busy trying to play Phantasy Star II, which takes...some time.

Some of the chapters are literally minutes long.

Maou
1364th Post

"Re(6):Re(10): The Lively Live" , posted Thu 7 Feb 07:21post reply

quote:
Some of the chapters are literally minutes long.
!!Promising!!

Heh, this could be great, I'm looking for a new candidate to unseat Estpolis/Lufia 2 as Best Shortest RPG.

ZamIAm
1700th Post

"Limited" , posted Sat 1 Mar 12:07post reply

http://www.uk.playright.dk/raretitel.php?id=13584

So far this is the best picture I have been able to find of the Limited Edition Panzer Dragoon Orta system (though one should exist somewhere that actually shows the minor texture the case has). I've lost a recent auction for PD Zwei and I know that I'm nowhere close to having enough money for PD Saga. I did recently get the PD anime though...

Iggy
8400th Post

"Re(1):" , posted Sat 1 Mar 19:07post reply

quote:
"Games that no one else cares about" thread

The PS3/360 port of Battle Fantasia will be released on 5/22.

Burning Ranger
1557th Post

"God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Sun 2 Mar 02:45post reply

quote:

Pollyanna, I am also finally playing Godhand because of your recommendation. I bought this the same time I bought Phantom Blood and a whole bunch of other games.

I finished No More Heroes a few weeks ago. I too think this is a game that the mainstream probably won't play. It's got a ton of gore and a sense of humor that rivals if not is daffier than God Hand.

Anyway, I bring up the two because in a way, NMH felt a lot like God Hand except without the customization in abilities that God Hand has.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Iggy
8402th Post

"Re(1):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Sun 2 Mar 06:07:post reply

Speaking of God Hand and NMH : I happen to have both games, and I haven't opened either yet.
It's the next worse thing to "having a great game but not having the time to play it" : "having two similar games and not knowing which one to start with". It's just a modern version of Buridan's ass, I just need to know which game is the water and which one is the wheat.

What is the opinion of the fine members of the cafe on this particular but oh so burdensome dilemma ?

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sun 2 Mar 06:08]

TreIII
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Sun 2 Mar 06:35post reply

quote:
What is the opinion of the fine members of the cafe on this particular but oh so burdensome dilemma ?

My opinion? Start with God Hand first. Everyone who comes to love the game usually agrees that it's a fine time to be had, and takes it back to a time when video games didn't take themselves so seriously. Plus the actual fighting engine is cool, as well, I prefer it more than a lot of the other "magical brawlers" (DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc) out there, plus I think it's much more of a challenge too.

But both games are great, and the fact that you at least have both in your collection at least says something. Now get to playin' em! :D

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Iggy
8403th Post

"Re(3):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Sun 2 Mar 06:57post reply

quote:
My opinion? Start with God Hand first.

You win. Let's do it !

Pollyanna
2451th Post

"Re(2):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Sun 2 Mar 08:37post reply

quote:
Speaking of God Hand and NMH : I happen to have both games, and I haven't opened either yet.
It's the next worse thing to "having a great game but not having the time to play it" : "having two similar games and not knowing which one to start with". It's just a modern version of Buridan's ass, I just need to know which game is the water and which one is the wheat.

God Hand is the better game, for sure...so if you only had time for one, then that would be the one to play. The problem with playing it first, though, is that it'll make No More Heroes seem really shallow in comparison.

In my opinion, God Hand is one of the best games ever made. NMH is a horrendously flawed game, that succeeds surprisingly well despite its mistakes. Unless God Hand really rubs you the wrong way, NMH will never stack up to it.

(but it seems like you made your mind up already)

That being said, I'm just gonna babble about NHM now.

The game was too easy! It almost never succeeded in being challenging. It was either easy, or just annoying. The system was so basic and repetitive...so mindless...that I kept saying "I can't believe I'm enjoying this...and yet, I can't get enough!" It was the best mediocre game I've ever played...and maybe the most glitchy, too. Man...I can't even count how many times my bike got "stuck" on something.

Also, why the hell does everyone have accents!? SO MANY BAD ACCENTS!!! Definitely some fun performances in there, though...

Zepy
1437th Post

"Re(3):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Sun 2 Mar 14:59post reply

...Yeah, what Pollyanna said.

Burning Ranger
1558th Post

"Re(3):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Sun 2 Mar 15:24post reply

quote:

Also, why the hell does everyone have accents!? SO MANY BAD ACCENTS!!! Definitely some fun performances in there, though...

For me, if it wasn't the humor, I wouldn't have continued playing NMH. A lot of the "plot" and what goes on in the game is so daffy. Like God Hand, it's not a serious game. Rather, its an homage to all kinds of stuff. A little Tarantino. A lot of Star Wars. Throw in some Japanese culture ("MOE...")

But aside from that factor, NMH is a repetitive game. The sandbox way of navigating the city, including the running back and forth between the mission and the job centers is annoying. And then of course, having to earn $$$ to unlock missions...

YEah, for me the story saved the game.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Maou
1387th Post

"Re(1):Limited" , posted Mon 3 Mar 08:32:post reply

quote:
I did recently get the PD anime though...

You poor, poor soul. Not because Panzer Dragoon isn't a famously great game I have yet to play, but because I hear that the animation OAV is literally the worst of all time. Grade A++ comedy and kitsch, on the other hand, so it may be worth it!

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 3 Mar 08:37]

sfried
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Mon 3 Mar 09:09post reply

quote:

Reminds me of Metal Gear Solid...

Pollyanna
2452th Post

"Re(4):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Mon 3 Mar 13:41post reply

quote:

For me, if it wasn't the humor, I wouldn't have continued playing NMH. A lot of the "plot" and what goes on in the game is so daffy. Like God Hand, it's not a serious game. Rather, its an homage to all kinds of stuff. A little Tarantino. A lot of Star Wars. Throw in some Japanese culture ("MOE...")

But aside from that factor, NMH is a repetitive game. The sandbox way of navigating the city, including the running back and forth between the mission and the job centers is annoying. And then of course, having to earn $$$ to unlock missions...

The "saving up money" never really bothered me, because by the time I did the new job, then tried out the two new missions, I would either be ready for the next assassin or I would have to do one more mission. I guess if it was my choice, you would only do side missions for "extra money" (shirts, swords, etc.) and the normal assassin missions would be a little bit longer.

How did you like the ending? Did you have a favorite assassin?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

ZamIAm
1704th Post

"Where should I start..." , posted Mon 3 Mar 15:51post reply

quote:
You poor, poor soul. Not because Panzer Dragoon isn't a famously great game I have yet to play, but because I hear that the animation OAV is literally the worst of all time. Grade A++ comedy and kitsch, on the other hand, so it may be worth it!

One problem is that the voice acting is so exceedingly overdramatic. The story is not that bad at it's base: foreshadowing with army and dark tower, hero minding his own business, Blue Dragon & rider show up fighting Black Dragon, Black Dragon kidnaps the hero's blind-yet-somewhat-psychic fiancee killing the original dragon rider and hero's father figure type friend in the process, hero joins Blue Dragon, flying scenery shots, fights army shown in intro, hero and dragon are at odds concerning fighting methods/violence level, hero is almost killed by surviving army leader so he makes up with dragon/violence is sometimes good, establishes telepathic bond between rider and dragon, flashback of hero meeting fiancee, more scenery, showdown at dark tower with Black Dragon, Blue Dragon gets the hero+fiancee out then goes back to destroy the tower with kamikaze victory, ending where you realize that the dragon isn't dead, end. Technically not a bad concept but not only is there the overblown dramatic acting, there's also the fact that they cram all this in 35 minutes. With breathing room they could have fleshed out specific things in the story much better and to be honest, they could have blown more stuff up too. In other words, it had potential but wound up being epic meh + camp (they actually sort of "powers combine" for an attack or two near the end where the rider briefly shoots energy from his hands). Sadly, my unique style of of fandom/insanity has me quietly wanting to defend it rather than deride it.

Iron D
2826th Post

"Re(1):Limited" , posted Mon 3 Mar 16:23post reply

quote:
http://www.uk.playright.dk/raretitel.php?id=13584

So far this is the best picture I have been able to find of the Limited Edition Panzer Dragoon Orta system (though one should exist somewhere that actually shows the minor texture the case has). I've lost a recent auction for PD Zwei and I know that I'm nowhere close to having enough money for PD Saga. I did recently get the PD anime though...

Didn't even know that a PD Orta Xbox ever existed. Don't know how much PD Zwei is going for, but it is one of the more common Saturn games, so it shouldn't be anywhere near what PD Saga would be.

Was never interested in the PD anime...

Er.....

Iggy
8405th Post

"Re(5):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Mon 3 Mar 18:49post reply

Finally, we get to see Pollyanna's panties !

So, yeah. God Hand is fun. I wasn't zetsubô-ed.

ZamIAm
1705th Post

"Re(2):Limited" , posted Tue 4 Mar 01:34post reply

quote:
Didn't even know that a PD Orta Xbox ever existed. Don't know how much PD Zwei is going for, but it is one of the more common Saturn games, so it shouldn't be anywhere near what PD Saga would be.

I'm surprised you didn't know about the PD Orta Xbox, though they produced exactly 999 units of it (heh, "9-9-99") so it is pretty rare and it was a Japan only online sale. Zwei actually isn't that expensive, I'm just trying to be as cheap as possible. That combined with the other buyer pulling one of those last minute bids (which I've done to people so I can't get all that mad).

quote:

I wouldn't actually suggest it to you. To be honest, I heard it sucked and my morbid curiosity asked "how much?". As said, there may have been potential but they botched it.

HAYATO
854th Post

"Re(3):Limited" , posted Tue 4 Mar 16:58post reply

quote:

I wouldn't actually suggest it to you. To be honest, I heard it sucked and my morbid curiosity asked "how much?". As said, there may have been potential but they botched it.

Actually, there are many contemporary animus out there which are far worse than "PD OVA"...

Toxico
4370th Post

"Re(6):God Hand vs No More Heroes" , posted Tue 4 Mar 22:27post reply

quote:
Finally, we get to see Pollyanna's panties !

And that made you hang yourself

Also, Godhand's fist stage theme is incredibly great.

quote:
Actually, there are many contemporary animus out there which are far worse than "PD OVA"...

Don't make me point at SNK's works....

ZamIAm
1706th Post

"Re(4):Limited" , posted Wed 5 Mar 00:15post reply

quote:

True, but I'm pretty sure Iron D wouldn't tolerate it.

I recently won a PD Zwei auction for cheaper than the bid I recently lost so that worked out. Patiently waiting for the mail.

sfried
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Limited" , posted Wed 5 Mar 02:53:post reply

Slightly OT, but I wondered if the Street Fighter OAV was really as bad as the claimed to be.

Sure it had no (coherent) plot, but still...

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure nobody cares about spacesims anymore. They used to be the sole purpose I got into PC gaming. And Descent...

Also non-momentum based 2D platformers other than Castlevania.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 5 Mar 02:57]

Spoon
1525th Post

"Re(6):Limited" , posted Wed 5 Mar 04:12post reply

quote:

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure nobody cares about spacesims anymore. They used to be the sole purpose I got into PC gaming. And Descent...

I wish that Project Sylpheed was less about missile locks onto everything. Some people will say that the game makes you feel like you fighting smoke trails though, because the enemy fighters are too small and too far away to see if not for the colored smoke trails. Actually, there are a lot of reasons to dislike the game. But I think it's not too bad!

Like most flying "sims" from Japan, it's still a pretty arcade-y experience where 99% of enemy kills come from your dozens-large store of missiles though. Whatever happened to gunfighting?

Given the absurd power of modern gaming hardware, I'm surprised that we haven't seen another non-RTS epic-scale space sim. A new Independence War with an interface that isn't impenetrable would be cool.

sfried
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Limited" , posted Wed 5 Mar 11:04:post reply

quote:
I wish that Project Sylpheed was less about missile locks onto everything. Some people will say that the game makes you feel like you fighting smoke trails though, because the enemy fighters are too small and too far away to see if not for the colored smoke trails. Actually, there are a lot of reasons to dislike the game. But I think it's not too bad!

Given the absurd power of modern gaming hardware, I'm surprised that we haven't seen another non-RTS epic-scale space sim. A new Independence War with an interface that isn't impenetrable would be cool.

It's sad to see Project Sylpheed end up a disappointment. I would've liked more Japanese developers to revive dead genres in the same way
as Zack&Wiki/Layton/Another Code. (Might I now go on to mention about Zork for Saturn...)

Yes, I'd like to see a new I-War! Although we probably don't need that much power. Just clever computing...Also, new Freespace please.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 5 Mar 11:08]