Malaysia bound - Travel tips? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1785 Views )

JJWE
569th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Thu 17 Jan 05:34post reply

Well, since I haven't had a proper vacation since our trip to Japan/Thailand in 2005, we figured it was about time we took a break from our regular lives and enjoyed the sun and whatnot.

My question to you, fellow BBS:ers, is:

What, if anything, is worth getting over there? Since I've recently acquired a DS, I thought I might pick up a few cheap games. But, I assume I'd have to look out for cheap knock-offs and other similar scams? Am I better off just not bothering, or are there legitimate copies floating around the stores?

Other than that, any and all travel tips will be happily accepted.

Thanks in advance.

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

Replies:

Oroch
1009th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Thu 17 Jan 05:46post reply

quote:
Well, since I haven't had a proper vacation since our trip to Japan/Thailand in 2005, we figured it was about time we took a break from our regular lives and enjoyed the sun and whatnot.

What, if anything, is worth getting over there? Since I've recently acquired a DS, I thought I might pick up a few cheap games. But, I assume I'd have to look out for cheap knock-offs and other similar scams? Am I better off just not bothering, or are there legitimate copies floating around the stores?

Thanks in advance.

watch out for the boygirls

JJWE
570th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Thu 17 Jan 06:21post reply

quote:
watch out for the boygirls

Girlboys in my case then? :o

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

nobinobita
252th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Thu 17 Jan 11:15post reply

quote:
But, I assume I'd have to look out for cheap knock-offs and other similar scams? Am I better off just not bothering, or are there legitimate copies floating around the stores?

Thanks in advance.

If you want real import games just go to department stores. They probably won't be any cheaper than just buying them online though. If you want cheap pirated games, you can probably find them at little kiosks and maybe some stores in malls.

Boy i miss life in South East Asia.

Also, I'd recommend getting some tailor made clothing. For $100-$200 you can get a fitted suite or dress of jacket or whatever that will make you look like a star. It's totally worth it if you like to dress formally... or cosplay!

hasukii
448th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Sat 19 Jan 13:49post reply

quote:

Thanks in advance.

its true about what nobi said, but if you want illegal games such as ps2 then you can find it alot in the shopping malls.

For the travel tips, its depend how long is your vacation here and area you wanna go.

If you wanna go with good food, beaches and some good tourist spots, Penang is not a bad choice. Cause I live in Penang, LOL!

Let me know how long is your vacation and areas you wanna go, I'll assist you as much as i can.

Who did this to these dogs ???

Holiday
2588th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Mon 21 Jan 12:48post reply

Oh, when do you plan on visiting? I stay in Kuala Lumpur so you can ask me any questions too.

As for games, it's pretty much like what everyone else has said - the originals aren't much cheaper that what you can find online, but lots of the... other types they can be found in a lot of places.

nobinobita
255th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Mon 21 Jan 14:39post reply

quote:
but lots of the... other types they can be found in a lot of places.

Did any of you guys have the Super Famicom/SNES Disk Drive? You know, the ones that let you play games from floppy disks?

Boy I loved that thing. I had one that could play up to 16 megabit games.

If I wanted to play anything higher than that, I had to wait for the weekend for my dad to take me to the mall and we'd pay to play games for 2 hours. Good times!

exodus
4057th Post

"Re(2):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Tue 22 Jan 09:12post reply

quote:

Also, I'd recommend getting some tailor made clothing. For $100-$200 you can get a fitted suite or dress of jacket or whatever that will make you look like a star. It's totally worth it if you like to dress formally... or cosplay!

yeah, I'm totally doing that...I plan to hit Singapore and Malaysia some time in the future, and this is high on my list.

nobinobita
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Tue 22 Jan 12:37post reply

quote:

yeah, I'm totally doing that...I plan to hit Singapore and Malaysia some time in the future, and this is high on my list.

Also worth doing is taking anything you already own and getting it altered to fit. It's much cheaper, and the tailors will enjoy seeing clothing that's in style overseas.

exodus
4061th Post

"Re(4):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Tue 22 Jan 14:48post reply

quote:

Also worth doing is taking anything you already own and getting it altered to fit. It's much cheaper, and the tailors will enjoy seeing clothing that's in style overseas.

well I do that here already... it's not so expensive if you go to the right shops. But getting a tailored suit is another matter! I don't even own a suit, so having a couple would not be upsetting to me. Of course mine would have to look rather weird, but I'm sure they can handle it!!

Holiday
2589th Post

"Re(3):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Tue 22 Jan 17:13post reply

quote:
Did any of you guys have the Super Famicom/SNES Disk Drive? You know, the ones that let you play games from floppy disks? ...

Oh yeah I had that SNES Super Wild Card Disk Drive too. IIRC Final Fantasy 6 came in an ungodly amount of disks.

As for suits (or general designer clothes) in Malaysia, I've read that even the elite designer stuff can be much cheaper compared to the US or Euro. Then again shopping is Serious Business here, especially in the capital. If you lose your friends in one of the major malls you'll only find them again in your next life.

exodus
4063th Post

"Re(4):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Wed 23 Jan 03:26post reply

quote:
If you lose your friends in one of the major malls you'll only find them again in your next life.

sounds like a good place to take your girlfriend.
heyooooo!

nobinobita
258th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Malaysia bound - Travel tips?" , posted Sat 26 Jan 04:58post reply

quote:

Oh yeah I had that SNES Super Wild Card Disk Drive too. IIRC Final Fantasy 6 came in an ungodly amount of disks.

Hehe, remember Chrono Trigger? That came in a set of what ... 4 floppies? I was so sad when all the Square games got bigger than 16 megabits. I had to go to the mall to play FF6 and Chronno Trigger, which well... didn't quite work out cos I could never get more than 2 hours into the games.

Those malls ARE serious business! Malls in South East Asia tend to build up rather than out and they go really really horribly high. They put all the escalators in the center too, so there's this open air space where you can see all the way up and down the building. To make matters worse, when I was a kid the games tended to be on the top floor, so I had to brave a trecherous 10 story freefall everytime I wanted to look at new games!