XBOX 360 HELP - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2016 Views )

Digitalboy
513th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Mon 14 Jan 23:07post reply

Just bought an Xbox 360 Elite edition. After playing for 15 minutes I would get a blank white screen. I just want to know what the hell is the white screen indicating. Overheating?

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Replies:

EddyT
615th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Tue 15 Jan 00:57post reply

Doesn't sound good... the lights surrounding your power button... did they change color at all? Also, what were you doing before the screen went white?

What region is your system from? US? Video connections okay on your set?

You should power down, power back up and see if the problem reoccurs. Also, try to see if this problem is triggered by a certain game or action. It may be a fluke, but definitely make a log of any odd activity your 360 is experiencing. You may need it if you have to call MS.

Oroch
1008th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Tue 15 Jan 02:54post reply

quote:
Just bought an Xbox 360 Elite edition. After playing for 15 minutes I would get a blank white screen. I just want to know what the hell is the white screen indicating. Overheating?

1)power down
2)drink some whisky clean
3)throw xbox against wall
4)???
5)profit

crazymike
1401th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Tue 15 Jan 07:28post reply

Changing the subject, anyone here got some gamertags?

mine is solid12345

I would love to play some SF Turbo against any of you punks from the cafe.

Undead Fred
2956th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Tue 15 Jan 10:56post reply

quote:

XBox systems have a pretty horrible track record for me... as it's been said here, check the light ring on your system. If any crazy colors show up, you can look in your manual or online or something and decipher what happened (if anything). The most famous one is the Red Ring of Death, which basically means your system's dead as a doornail.

GrandC
34th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Wed 16 Jan 00:25post reply

quote:

My gamertag is Kingrand
See you guys Live!

KTallguy
987th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Wed 16 Jan 05:41post reply

quote:

You have two choices.

1. Call support, send your 360 in, wait 1-2 weeks, get it back, have it break on you later, send it in, ad nauseum.

2. Get a PS3. Never worry about quality issues.

Play to win.

crazymike
1402th Post

"Re(2):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Wed 16 Jan 06:25post reply

quote:

Except the quality of the software library...

KTallguy
990th Post

"Re(3):XBOX 360 HELP" , posted Wed 16 Jan 08:26post reply

quote:

I don't want to get into this one :)
But 2008 looks like a good year to me!

Play to win.

Digitalboy
514th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Fri 18 Jan 23:00post reply

Just to let everyone know that I went back to the store and returned the bloody thing. I would have replied back sooner but I do not think that I could type so much on the Nintendo Wii's Internet without going nuts.

I made sure that I was able to return it. The customer service informed me that I could either exchange it for another Elite or I can get my money back. I got my money and I will be buying my imaginary girlfriend that I met on the internet something nice.

Now to answer some questions:
quote:
Doesn't sound good... the lights surrounding your power button... did they change color at all? Also, what were you doing before the screen went white?

What region is your system from? US? Video connections okay on your set?

You should power down, power back up and see if the problem reoccurs. Also, try to see if this problem is triggered by a certain game or action. It may be a fluke, but definitely make a log of any odd activity your 360 is experiencing. You may need it if you have to call MS.

When the white screen appeared there were not any visible indication lights around the power button. I was playing Dead Or Alive 4. It was a U.S. region Xbox 360 and all video component cables were set up correctly. I did powered down for 30 minutes and tried the same game again only to have the same error.
quote:
1)power down
2)drink some whisky clean
3)throw xbox against wall
4)???
5)profit

Ohh! Numbered list. I like those.
1)Check
2)Double check
3)Uh...if I did that I could not have returned it. I did the only possible thing to ventilate my rage and disgust. I yelled at it.
4)Masturbated
5)Money shot
quote:

mine is solid12345

I would love to play some SF Turbo against any of you punks from the cafe.

If I still had my 360, the gamertag I created was "K eight08." Thank you for changing the subject.
quote:
XBox systems have a pretty horrible track record for me... as it's been said here, check the light ring on your system. If any crazy colors show up, you can look in your manual or online or something and decipher what happened (if anything). The most famous one is the Red Ring of Death, which basically means your system's dead as a doornail.

My friend who works at the store informed me that I did received the Red Ring of Death, I would not be able to return it. I was fortunate.
quote:
My gamertag is Kingrand
See you guys Live!

You need to post here more often. Once again thanks for changing the subject.
quote:
You have two choices.

1. Call support, send your 360 in, wait 1-2 weeks, get it back, have it break on you later, send it in, ad nauseum.

Oh, more list for me!
1)Thought about it but decided with the refund.
2)Indecisive about the Playstation 3. Maybe four years from now. Thanks for the suggestion.
quote:

Oh really?
quote:
I don't want to get into this one :)
But 2008 looks like a good year to me!

Metal Gear Solid 4 seems to be the only game I am interested for the PS3.

Thanks everyone!

I don't know how to live

crazymike
1405th Post

"Re(5):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sat 19 Jan 06:17post reply

Also, does anyone here suggest investing in a cooling fan for the 360, is heat really the culprit behind alot of these issues?

hikarutilmitt
446th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sat 19 Jan 08:01post reply

quote:
Also, does anyone here suggest investing in a cooling fan for the 360, is heat really the culprit behind alot of these issues?

If you have an earlier model 360 I would suggest so, but not one of those godawful powercooler ones that you put on the back to use power from the PSU because it'll kill the unit even faster.

Maou
1341th Post

"Re(6):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sat 19 Jan 11:51post reply

quote:

Really? I thought it was just really crappy, rushed hardware design (not to be confused with the computing side, which seems nice and pretty). I'd love to have one so I could play Lost Odyssey and...pretty much nothing else, but the fact that the damn things are guaranteed to break (pathetic) means that you have to essentially be settled in one city/country/etc. or you'll never be able to return it to the store when it inevitably breaks down. And I don't want to live in Tokyo. Argh. Maybe they'll do a full hardware redesign one day.

Or maybe they'll never even break 1 million in Japan, and I can just buy 50 360's for 400 yen a pop and take them with me wherever I go, throwing them away when they break.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Undead Fred
2958th Post

"Re(7):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sun 20 Jan 10:00post reply

quote:
Really? I thought it was just really crappy, rushed hardware design (not to be confused with the computing side, which seems nice and pretty). I'd love to have one so I could play Lost Odyssey and...pretty much nothing else, but the fact that the damn things are guaranteed to break (pathetic) means that you have to essentially be settled in one city/country/etc. or you'll never be able to return it to the store when it inevitably breaks down. And I don't want to live in Tokyo. Argh. Maybe they'll do a full hardware redesign one day.

Or maybe they'll never even break 1 million in Japan, and I can just buy 50 360's for 400 yen a pop and take them with me wherever I go, throwing them away when they break.

Well, I was gonna suggest getting it from a store like a Best Buy or something that had a service plan on it, but I take it they haven't invaded Japan yet. If you have a similar store that has some kind of extended warranty coverage you can buy, then make sure you get it. Mine went out a year after I bought it (as I've said before, I didn't abuse it at all... I just had the sheer gall to try and play games on it), and I was able to take it back, keep my old hard drive, prorate my old replacement plan to buy a new one and still make a few bucks off of it (the price had dropped since I bought it, so that worked out pretty well).

The only alternative is to buy an extended warranty from Microsoft since you're pretty much guaranteed to have to use it at some point. You'll have to play the waiting game while it's in the shop and all that, but at least you'll be covered. The point I'm trying to make is getting an extended warranty... and if you get that from a store, make sure it's one of those retarded super-monster chains that you can find anywhere so you won't be stuck if you move away.

Maou
1342th Post

"Re(8):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sun 20 Jan 13:27post reply

All good points. A shame there's now such a strategy involved merely in the act of owning a functioning 360. If they'd do a hardware update I'm there....

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Tai-Pan
206th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sun 20 Jan 17:00post reply

quote:

..but not one of those godawful powercooler ones that you put on the back to use power from the PSU because it'll kill the unit even faster.

What do you mean? I think I'm using one of those but I'm not sure what are you saying, use power from the PSU?

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Undead Fred
2959th Post

"Re(8):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sun 20 Jan 18:58post reply

quote:
All good points. A shame there's now such a strategy involved merely in the act of owning a functioning 360. If they'd do a hardware update I'm there....
Heh heh, yeah. I learned how to take care of laser-based game consoles since the PSX days... I quit carrying around my first PSX loose and banging around the floorboard of my car when I realized it wasn't very good for it. Now I treat my consoles like cartons of eggs, and the Microsoft systems still manage to break. So yeah, once you have a plan down (and it's one I've had to learn as I go and pay for stupid flat-rate repair jobs and crap like that) you'll have a decent system.

Oh yeah, speaking of updates, I can't remember if anyone's mentioned it here yet or not, but there was some blurb in this month's OXM saying that Microsoft has apparently solved the red ringing issues and will roll the fix out on all of the new systems. Something along the lines of a new processor and a new graphics processor or something- both had overheating issues.
quote:
What do you mean? I think I'm using one of those but I'm not sure what are you saying, use power from the PSU?

I guess instead of one with its own plug-in? I've never used one of those things, but I've thought about getting one... are there different kinds or something?

Pollyanna
2410th Post

"Re(9):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sun 20 Jan 20:13post reply

There's also a fairly simple mod you can do on a system that's overheated that should take care of you permanently. Personally, my 360 has treated me very well. I don't even experience the glitches in games that people complain about.

I think the missing component is love. I recommend that everyone try loving your 360. And not just saying you love it so that you get what you want. That might work for a one-night-stand, but you're looking for a lasting relationship.

Wahhh...I need to get online with VF5. I haven't bothered with Live yet, cause I've been too busy...

In other 360 news, I just finished Lost Odyssey (like 10 minutes ago) and I found the last disk to be fairly disappointing. Not awful, just a step down from the rest of the game. It still earns the "RPG of the year" distinction from me, but it fell short of the "best thing ever" distinction it looked like it might make.

There's an interesting point at the very end, where the characters are spewing dramatic nonsense at the last boss as they do in every RPG. Only in LO...they make fun of it. Like "I always wanted to say that!" or "that was a good one!". Then the last boss makes a lame last boss remark and Jansen makes fun of him for it.

I thought "well, that's certainly funny, but wouldn't it be better with...I dunno...good dialogue, instead?"

Digitalboy
515th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Sun 20 Jan 22:29post reply

Does not compute...what is this "love" that you speak of?
quote:
There's also a fairly simple mod you can do on a system that's overheated that should take care of you permanently. Personally, my 360 has treated me very well. I don't even experience the glitches in games that people complain about.

I think the missing component is love. I recommend that everyone try loving your 360. And not just saying you love it so that you get what you want. That might work for a one-night-stand, but you're looking for a lasting relationship.

Wahhh...I need to get online with VF5. I haven't bothered with Live yet, cause I've been too busy...

In other 360 news, I just finished Lost Odyssey (like 10 minutes ago) and I found the last disk to be fairly disappointing. Not awful, just a step down from the rest of the game. It still earns the "RPG of the year" distinction from me, but it fell short of the "best thing ever" distinction it looked like it might make.

There's an interesting point at the very end, where the characters are spewing dramatic nonsense at the last boss as they do in every RPG. Only in LO...they make fun of it. Like "I always wanted to say that!" or "that was a good one!". Then the last boss makes a lame last boss remark and Jansen makes fun of him for it.

I thought "well, that's certainly funny, but wouldn't it be better with...I dunno...good dialogue, instead?"

I don't know how to live

KTallguy
992th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):XBOX 360 UPDATE" , posted Wed 23 Jan 03:15post reply

I'll definitely pick up a 360 when there's a complete hardware re-design. The fact that 5+ people in my immediate circle of friends have had their 360s die just tells me to stay far, far away until the issue is fully resolved. I shouldn't have to hunt for a model number, or pay for an extended warranty or cooling fans.

It's a shame, because 360 has some excellent games that I would love to play right now, but I can manage waiting for a few years, or playing them on PC.

Play to win.