Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibur IV - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (19136 Views )

Burning Ranger
1540th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibur IV" , posted Thu 10 Jan 08:18post reply

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334

I thought this ended with Soul Calibur 2. Here's hoping there are some Force powers available.

What next? Captain Picard in Brawl!?!

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Replies:

Ebisumaru
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 08:59:post reply

quote:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334

I thought this ended with Soul Calibur 2. Here's hoping there are some Force powers available.

If they manage to bring James Earl Jones to provide Vader's voice, then it'll be awesome.

[edit] Okay, they'll probably just put his heavy breathing or something.

[this message was edited by Ebisumaru on Thu 10 Jan 09:44]

Pollyanna
2406th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 09:24post reply

You know...I don't like Star Wars, or rather, I'm sick of seeing it everywhere. This is one of those places I never thought it would "get me"...and yet here it is.

Still...beats Crimson Viper.

Gojira
2284th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 12:11post reply

Well I don't know if it's cool or what, but I find the possibilities incredibly funny.

Maou
1329th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 13:05post reply

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHA

On one hand, I thought it was a crass choice when they did this in 2, though that was especially so since I don't like McFarlane or whatever.

HOWEVER, Soul Calibur 2 was also the last good Soul Calibur game, so maybe guest characters will magically accompany a revival after the wretched 3??!

Granted, it's all correlation and zero causation, but a man can dream...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iggy
8313th Post

"Re(5):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 17:00post reply

*Sorry, laughing, can't post*

KTallguy
986th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 17:32post reply

Soul Calibur has been broken since #2. Namco's "real" fighting game is Tekken, and their "party" fighting game is SC.

Play to win.

Grave
978th Post

"Re(1):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 17:33post reply

This was a terrible idea.
quote:

This is a fantastic idea.

dr baghead
3745th Post

"Re(1):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 18:51post reply

you know, I've always wanted someone competent to make a "Star Wars Soul Calibur" take all better known Jedi and Sith (maybe non-jedi and sith who are too important to forget) from the movies and expanded universe and then give them all crazy light based weapons (like different kinds of swords, nunchucks, staffs, tonfas, etc) make the game set outside the timeline (So it can fun rather then "well we have to leave Luke out since he wasn't live when most of the Jedi were around" Bullshit most SW games are)... I think that'd be really fun... especially if it was Lego!

... this however sounds stupid to me.

I just hope if it's real it'll generate enough interest in the concept they can make the fully realized "Star Wars game that plays like Soul Calibur without being Soul Calibur" I've always wanted... but more so I hope EGM (1-up is EGM right?) is releasing their April Issue like SUPER early this year and this is a joke.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Iggy
8314th Post

"Re(2):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 19:06post reply

quote:
but more so I hope EGM (1-up is EGM right?) is releasing their April Issue like SUPER early this year and this is a joke.

Trailer on the official site.
Also, has anyone mentioned Vador was PS3-only and Yoda 360 ?

dr baghead
3746th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 19:53post reply

quote:

Oh... now I'm very sad

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1034th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 20:22post reply

quote:

So the exclusivity strategy returned, huh? Well, in terms of sales, it helped a lot SC2, from what I remember.

Still, Vader and Yoda in SC4... they are nice characters and all, but Namco-Bandai will need a great story-excuse to justify them being there (even though they will later be disconsidered, like Link and Spawn).

Anyway, maybe these are the only "out of place" characters... (unless they also added someone like Harry Potter, fighting with the Gryffindor Sword).

I just hope it turns out to be a good game after all, because from what I have read, SC Legends was already a disappointment...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Burning Ranger
1541th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 21:44post reply

quote:

Are you sure about this? If that's true, then I'm really disappointed. While I plan on getting a PS3 at a later date, I'd be upset about getting the PS3 version that has one character but not the other. And this isn't about exclusivity like in SC2. At least there, the exclusivity made sense.

Ishmael
3027th Post

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 10 Jan 23:41post reply

I can honestly say I did not see this one coming. Does this mean I'm finally going to have to start playing SC in English so I can hear Darth Vader spitting out post-fight trash talk in his original voice? Then again, Japanese Yoda might be funny.

Anyway, it seems that Namco has really moved up in their stunt casting since the days of having that ankle-biter Gon taking up space in Tekken 3.

Mokona
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 00:25post reply

Wait... is it April already?

No?

*Laughing too hard*

This is sad, really.

Blah!

Maou
1334th Post

"Re(6):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 01:14:post reply

Hahaha, the American trailer is really funny. Unintentionally, of course.

But to deflect this thread away from pure (justified) hate, let's discuss the best legitimate Soul Calibur: Soul Calibur 1 or Soul Calibur 2? I say Soul Calibur 2 wins, but 1's presentation and extras are better. Yessir.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 11 Jan 01:15]

Iggy
8316th Post

"Re(7):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 01:42post reply

quote:
But to deflect this thread away from pure (justified) hate, let's discuss the best legitimate Soul Calibur: Soul Calibur 1 or Soul Calibur 2? I say Soul Calibur 2 wins, but 1's presentation and extras are better. Yessir.

1) hate is unjustified.
2) 1 wins. Customizable intro=hours of fun before even playing the game.

nobinobita
247th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 01:55post reply

quote:

2) 1 wins. Customizable intro=hours of fun before even playing the game.

I concur. Seeing Astaroth turn and gaze wistfully in a field of flowers was one of the highlights of my Dreamcast experience.

As for Starwars in Soul Calibur, I'm excited for the possibility of alternate costumes. They could probably do some pretty awesome ones for Vader and Yoda, provided that Lucas gives them permission to mess with the characters at all.

catalyst
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 02:17post reply

So what would be everyones response if Vader or Yoda became "top tier" quote on quote?

I don't mind that vader or yoda are in the game, I find it hilarious like everyone else but strangely my gut says I don't approve it.

wait one minute.

*dives in a bunker*

Alright you may release the flames.

This song is so true

Ishmael
3030th Post

"Re(2):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 05:46post reply

Starting with the home release of Soul Edge one of the hallmarks of the series has been the absurd amount of stuff that gets crammed into the games. Whether it is art galleries or custom colored panties the games often come across like a sideshow of attractions instead of just a port of a fighting game. The inclusion of Vader and Yoda strikes me as just another fun but extraneous doo-dad that the high level players will ignore in much the same way that I'm sure they ignore the novelty weapons or anything else that isn't tourney approved.

I have over three thousand posts here and I think this is the first time I've used the word "panties" in a sentence. What a glorious, horrible day this is.

Maou
1334th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 07:37post reply

quote:
I have over three thousand posts here and I think this is the first time I've used the word "panties" in a sentence. What a glorious, horrible day this is.
Congraturation!

That's a charitable view, though I think there's sitll a little difference between changable...colors, the original's opening cinema customization etc. and having random characters show up. No?

Gojira
2286th Post

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 08:13post reply

Well, maybe they're not "exclusive" so much as "default exclusive." I really can't imagine why they'd do this if you can't have Vader and Yoda against each other. It'll probably be DLC at some point.

shin ramberk
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 13:10post reply

Super lame. Geeze.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Oroch
1004th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Fri 11 Jan 15:37post reply

quote:
Super lame. Geeze.

thats what you say now, but wait till they release their secondary hidden characters

megatron and optimus prime, with energon mace and axe respectively

Maou
1335th Post

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 01:14post reply

quote:
thats what you say now, but wait till they release their secondary hidden characters

No doubt! They may be on to something

Digitalboy
512th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 01:47post reply

Brilliant!
quote:
No doubt! They may be on to something

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

shin ramberk
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 02:00post reply

quote:
Super lame. Geeze.

megatron and optimus prime, with energon mace and axe respectively

OMG shut your mouth. I would die of happiness of that did happen. lol.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

crazymike
1400th Post

"Re(5):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 03:44post reply

This is definitely lame. I have the 360 so no Darth Vader or dark side for me.

Rid
7113th Post

"Re(1):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 05:04post reply

They better have "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" as Vader's winning quote.

But Shaak Ti or Mace Windu would have been more interesting choices.

news - art

dr baghead
3747th Post

"Re(2):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 06:30post reply

quote:
But Shaak Ti or Mace Windu would have been more interesting choices.

Everything would be better with Shaak Ti's inclusion, that goes without saying.

... but if they had Mace Windu in he would need to say something like "I'm tired of these motherfucking cameo characters in these motherfucking Soul Calibur games" as a win quote to be both topical and extremely played out.

my silly little drawin's

Burning Ranger
1542th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 13:44post reply

quote:

... but if they had Mace Windu in he would need to say something like "I'm tired of these motherfucking cameo characters in these motherfucking Soul Calibur games" as a win quote to be both topical and extremely played out.

He'd also need a win pose where he pulls out his wallet.

Hell, screw Mace Windu. Jules Winnfield needs to make an appearence in a game. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about his monologue: "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men..."

Oroch
1006th Post

"Re(6):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 12 Jan 19:14post reply

quote:
This is definitely lame. I have the 360 so no Darth Vader or dark side for me.

you can have him, you just gotta pay 9.99 for him on xbox live

Ktallguy
990th Post

"Re(7):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 16 Jan 05:43:post reply

quote:

Is that confirmed?

Also, I vote for incredibly lame.

But this will probably do amazing things for this games sales, especially if Darth Vader is on the box.

Play to win.

[this message was edited by Ktallguy on Wed 16 Jan 05:44]

Just a Person
1043th Post

"Re(8):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 16 Jan 19:18post reply

quote:

Is that confirmed?

Also, I vote for incredibly lame.

But this will probably do amazing things for this games sales, especially if Darth Vader is on the box.

It's quite possible, considering how the games nowadays have a greater focus on downloadable content.

And even if Darth Vader is only in the PS3 version, maybe this game will enable online matches between PS3 and X360 players, so that Yoda and Darth Vader can fight each other...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

E5150
122th Post

Regular Customer

"New character" , posted Wed 12 Mar 18:46post reply

http://3d.skr.jp/3d/src/1205308394043.jpg

Just a Person
1100th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):New character" , posted Wed 12 Mar 20:48post reply

Scheherazade? That name reminds me of that woman who told the stories of the Arabian 1001 Nights (although her name was Scherazade, right?). But this character doesn't look like an Arabian woman, so it might be just a coincidence.

Her design is kinda... different. Even for the SC standards. And her ears... could this be Zelda's twin sister? Not a bad design, anyway, just different.

Well, one more observation: at least from the artwork, it seems she won't have the "jiggle" effect like most of the SC girls have (mainly Ivy and Taki)...

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Ishmael
3088th Post

"Re(2):New character" , posted Wed 12 Mar 21:49post reply

When the Soul series first started up I never thought it would progress to the point that I could have a fight between Darth Vader and some elf chick.

EddyT
641th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):New character" , posted Thu 13 Mar 00:11post reply

At first glance... I thought it was a dude...

Anyone have some sort of backstory on her?

ZamIAm
1710th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):New character" , posted Thu 13 Mar 03:35post reply

quote:
Scheherazade? That name reminds me of that woman who told the stories of the Arabian 1001 Nights (although her name was Scherazade, right?). But this character doesn't look like an Arabian woman, so it might be just a coincidence.

Her design is kinda... different. Even for the SC standards. And her ears... could this be Zelda's twin sister? Not a bad design, anyway, just different.

Well, one more observation: at least from the artwork, it seems she won't have the "jiggle" effect like most of the SC girls have (mainly Ivy and Taki)...

I think her name can be spelled different ways (the original 1001 Arabian Nights storyteller) based upon the region retelling the story. That said, this new character seems...odd. The jury's still out on this one.

Maou
1388th Post

"worse than Necrid" , posted Thu 13 Mar 11:57post reply

Yechhh! I thought that having McFarlane's terrible stuff in the otherwise magnificent Soul Calibur II was a mistake, but what is this foul blemish invading the game? To destroy your visual consistency by having the final design be by another artist? At least Necrid was drawn by the regular designer after having been (mis-)designed by Todd F... What's extra-strange is that I can't see this undistinguished design actually helping promote the game...maybe if you got a genius artist like Inoue Takehiko of Vagabond fame, that would've been kind of cool...

Pollyanna
2457th Post

"Re(1):worse than Necrid" , posted Thu 13 Mar 12:16post reply

quote:
Yechhh! I thought that having McFarlane's terrible stuff in the otherwise magnificent Soul Calibur II was a mistake, but what is this foul blemish invading the game? To destroy your visual consistency by having the final design be by another artist? At least Necrid was drawn by the regular designer after having been (mis-)designed by Todd F... What's extra-strange is that I can't see this undistinguished design actually helping promote the game...maybe if you got a genius artist like Inoue Takehiko of Vagabond fame, that would've been kind of cool...

I'm all for the guest artist thing, but...I dunno who the hell this person is, and they don't look very good, either. Still, I'll reserve my judgment on the character (not the artwork) until I see better in-game shots.

Tohoho...why have Inoue guest design a character? Just put Musashi in the PS3 version and Kojiro in the 360 one.

Wait...that's not stupid enough. Big hair Sakuragi and shaved head Sakuragi?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1391th Post

"Re(2):worse than Necrid" , posted Thu 13 Mar 12:45:post reply

Heh, I mean, hey, Inoue's one of the most talented artists on the comics market that I can think of, and unlike the other guests, his art would actually be relevant (!!), even if the result might be another Mitsurugi. Still, if art's going to be incongruous (and I hate that it is), it might as well be with someone who's so excellent that you don't worry about it.

edit: and yeah, Musashi in Soul Calibur would be AWESOME. We must get you on Namco's board so they can make sensible guest character decisions.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 13 Mar 12:49]

Iggy
8411th Post

"Not :worse than Necrid" , posted Thu 13 Mar 17:41post reply

Nothing can be worse than Necrid.
End of argument. Go wash your mouth now.

Time Mage
2640th Post

"Re(2):worse than Necrid" , posted Thu 13 Mar 18:21post reply

quote:
Wait...that's not stupid enough. Big hair Sakuragi and shaved head Sakuragi?

That would be beyond awesome. Really.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Maou
1391th Post

"Re(1):Not :worse than Necrid" , posted Fri 14 Mar 07:43post reply

quote:
Nothing can be worse than Necrid.
End of argument. Go wash your mouth now.

I stand by Charade as a close second, though, especially given that he replaced Edge Master, a god among (old) men.

sushi_bunny
438th Post

Gold Customer

"star wars" , posted Fri 14 Mar 08:51post reply

(SNICKER!!!!) THROUGH MY NOSTRILS!!

This is soo unrealistic, like the lightsaber could really withstand an ages old sword. Anything for a buck.

justicekyo
690th Post

"Re(1):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Sat 15 Mar 12:18post reply

quote:

HERE'S TO THE FINEST CREW IN STARFLEET!!!!11

ENGAGE!

E5150
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Tue 25 Mar 21:45post reply

New? scan.

http://3d.skr.jp/3d/src/1206440626120.jpg

Just a Person
1115th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Tue 25 Mar 21:54post reply

quote:
New? scan.

Yay, another fanservice girl... just what SCIV needed.

Her clothes are as weird as Scheherazade's; both seem quite out of place in SCIV (although after Vader's and Yoda's inclusion in SCIV, anything else is less weird than that...). But at least Scheherazade goes against the fanservice stereotypes.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Ishmael
3099th Post

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Tue 25 Mar 22:37post reply

SC4 is shaping up to have an amazingly random roster.

rid
7123th Post

"Re(5):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Tue 25 Mar 23:44post reply

But Yoshizaki Mine characters are always welcome! I won't complain about this new one.

Soul Calibur is becoming the game version of Queen's Blade, adding new girls by random artists.

Scherezade profile translated by Pointystick:
quote:
Name: Scheherazade
Age: Their tribe doesn't keep count, but she is younger than most
Birthplace: A secret village
Height: 157cm
Weight: 42kg
Birthdate: The twelfth day under the chanting moon
Blood type: Unknown
Weapon: Rapier
Family: Her village is full of stubborn old men

She is a member of a very long lived tribe of the deep forest. While away from the village gathering stories, she experienced forbidden love, and was imprisoned inside a tree for a long time. But she is once again in the outside world and must see the story to its end.

news - art

Iron D
2828th Post

"Re(1):star wars" , posted Tue 25 Mar 23:45post reply

quote:
(SNICKER!!!!) THROUGH MY NOSTRILS!!

This is soo unrealistic, like the lightsaber could really withstand an ages old sword. Anything for a buck.

Yes. Because what we look for in a game like Soul Calibur that has people being repeatedly impaled and not even bleeding, zombies and lizardmen is realism...

Er.....

Iggy
8431th Post

"Re(2):star wars" , posted Tue 25 Mar 23:55post reply

quote:
This is soo unrealistic, like the lightsaber could really withstand an ages old sword.

Yes. Because what we look for in a game like Soul Calibur that has people being repeatedly impaled and not even bleeding, zombies and lizardmen is realism...

Or maybe because lightsabers really exist in real life?

Grave
1021th Post

"Re(3):star wars" , posted Wed 26 Mar 00:20post reply

I haven't been keeping up. Which version has shaved head Sakuragi?

nobinobita
295th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 01:05post reply

quote:
But Yoshizaki Mine characters are always welcome! I won't complain about this new one.

Wait, Mine Yoshizaki designed a Soul Calibur character?? Do you have a link to it?

I think Sgt Keroro should be the next guest character. Imagine Keroro vs Yoda. I'd buy the game just for that.

Also, Rid, have you seen his artbook Mine Blue?

It seems right up your ally based on all the art on your website. I highly recommend it. It's got tons of great illustrations new and old, even some that he did for Capcom waaay back in the day. It's also got little blurbs by other artists talking about how Yoshizaki is the nicest, most likeable guy in the industry.

One guy (the character designer for Super Galdelic Hour) compares Yoshizaki's ability to draw panty shots to a fresh spring breeze!

I love Yoshizaki's work. His work is fun, inventive, playful, a bit sexy, but never dirty. He's like a living time capsule of everything I loved about late 80s-mid 90s anime.

Like you said, Mine Yoshizaki stuff is always welcome!

crazymike
1427th Post

"Re(3):star wars" , posted Wed 26 Mar 01:15post reply

quote:

Or maybe because lightsabers really exist in real life?

They do, one of my friends brought one to work and it gave me quite a bruise when he whacked me over the head with it.

rid
7124th Post

"Re(7):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 01:49post reply

quote:

Wait, Mine Yoshizaki designed a Soul Calibur character?? Do you have a link to it?

I think Sgt Keroro should be the next guest character. Imagine Keroro vs Yoda. I'd buy the game just for that.

It seems right up your ally based on all the art on your website. I highly recommend it. It's got tons of great illustrations new and old, even some that he did for Capcom waaay back in the day. It's also got little blurbs by other artists talking about how Yoshizaki is the nicest, most likeable guy in the industry.

One guy (the character designer for Super Galdelic Hour) compares Yoshizaki's ability to draw panty shots to a fresh spring breeze!

I love Yoshizaki's work. His work is fun, inventive, playful, a bit sexy, but never dirty. He's like a living time capsule of everything I loved about late 80s-mid 90s anime.

Yes, it's the link posted a few posts up in here. I hope it isn't a fake.

As for Mine Yoshizaki, the best part of his art is that, while it's fanservice-based, he knows where to stop, to keep his characters likeable.

I've been considering in buying his artbook, but I'm out of money (exchange rate with Argentina sucks more than you can imagine). I did got some scans of it, for now that will do, and yes, it's fantastic. It's an influence on my style, artists like Mine or Paul Dini, with their bold lines and colorful designs.

news - art

Gojira
2324th Post

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 01:59:post reply

quote:
New? scan.

I don't know what this host is but I always get a 403 error when I try to access it. Alternate link somewhere?

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 26 Mar 01:59]

rid
7125th Post

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 02:01post reply

quote:
New? scan.

I don't know what this host is but I always get a 403 error when I try to access it. Alternate link somewhere?

http://i32.tinypic.com/oprddz.jpg

news - art

Zepy
1448th Post

"Re(5):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 02:57post reply

The new character is officially Angol Mois' cousin.

nobinobita
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 03:29:post reply

quote:
New? scan.

http://i32.tinypic.com/oprddz.jpg

Oh wow, thanks for the new link! That's Angol Mois from Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunsou)!

*edit*

Doeth, started writing before i saw that last post. SO it's her cousin. Thanks for the clarification.

Now if only they could work a Keronian in there somehow...

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 26 Mar 03:31]

Pollyanna
2468th Post

"Re(6):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 05:58post reply

Fantastic! Soul Calibur's stupidity is finally working in its favor! Or...uh...my favor. Bring on more ridiculous guest artists/characters!

I'm surprised they haven't included Leon (ToD), seeing as how unreasonably popular he is, but I suppose he's only popular with girls, which SC4 is obviously not aimed at.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Rid
7127th Post

"Re(7):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 06:24post reply

quote:
I'm surprised they haven't included Leon (ToD), seeing as how unreasonably popular he is, but I suppose he's only popular with girls, which SC4 is obviously not aimed at.

I never understood why he is so popular really. I wouldn't mind seeing him as Judas, anyway, his outfit there was cool.

Thinking of it again, there hasn't been any kind of crossover between SC and Tales, has it? I can't remember the Soul Edge in a Tales, or the Eternal Sword in SC...

news - art

Pollyanna
2470th Post

"Re(8):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 06:41:post reply

quote:

Thinking of it again, there hasn't been any kind of crossover between SC and Tales, has it? I can't remember the Soul Edge in a Tales, or the Eternal Sword in SC...

Lloyd was in the crappy Wii SC adventure game. I'm sure they were trying to promote ToS2, but I can't imagine many people getting excited about Lloyd.

I like Leon because he's hilariously lame, but I guess most girls go for the "mean but secretly sensitive" thing.

Edit: It still amuses me to no end that in the Tales character poll one time, Leon was 1st and Judas was 2nd.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Wed 26 Mar 06:42]

Rid
7128th Post

"Re(9):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 06:47post reply

Ah, true, SC Legends. That game is going to end in the "obscure Namco spinoff we prefer to forget about" category along with Death by Degrees, R: Racing Evolution and Klonoa Heroes.

news - art

Korigama
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calib" , posted Wed 26 Mar 07:29:post reply

quote:
Ah, true, SC Legends. That game is going to end in the "obscure Namco spinoff we prefer to forget about" category along with Death by Degrees, R: Racing Evolution and Klonoa Heroes.

Along with Urban Reign (a.k.a., Law and Paul, co-starring 60 other original characters nobody gives a crap about).

[this message was edited by Korigama on Wed 26 Mar 07:30]

Grave
1022th Post

"Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calib" , posted Wed 26 Mar 07:37post reply

quote:

Hey, at least R came with Pac-Man Vs! That means it was worth something, as opposed to the others mentioned above. Good times with that disc. And...

quote:
Along with Urban Reign (a.k.a., Law and Paul, co-starring 60 other original characters nobody gives a crap about).

yeah. I actually bought this one too. I learned my lesson after that. Why won't you, Namco?! Why won't you?!

EddyT
651th Post

"Re(8):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 09:31post reply

quote:

Yes, it's the link posted a few posts up in here. I hope it isn't a fake.

As for Mine Yoshizaki, the best part of his art is that, while it's fanservice-based, he knows where to stop, to keep his characters likeable.

I've been considering in buying his artbook, but I'm out of money (exchange rate with Argentina sucks more than you can imagine). I did got some scans of it, for now that will do, and yes, it's fantastic. It's an influence on my style, artists like Mine or Paul Dini, with their bold lines and colorful designs.

I wish there was an artbook for Otomedius...

sfried
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 11:37:post reply

quote:
But Yoshizaki Mine characters are always welcome!

And Star Wars isn't? I mean, aren't they both kinda out there in terms of choice?

Next thing you know you'll have Gundams in this game...and all we'll need is a bunnygirl with a sword.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 26 Mar 11:40]

EddyT
652th Post

"Re(7):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 13:39post reply

quote:
And Star Wars isn't? I mean, aren't they both kinda out there in terms of choice?

Next thing you know you'll have Gundams in this game...and all we'll need is a bunnygirl with a sword.

I cast my vote for the Keio Squadron chick

NARUTO
3629th Post

"Re(8):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 18:10post reply

Well when a look at the pics it doesn't look to a new characaters at all for me. IMO it looks much more to a 2P costume for Sheherazade than anything else.
Just like in TK after all. Random artist did 2P or 3P costume for characters that already exist, they didn't create new comers.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Pollyanna
2471th Post

"Re(9):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 18:28post reply

quote:
Well when a look at the pics it doesn't look to a new characaters at all for me. IMO it looks much more to a 2P costume for Sheherazade than anything else.
Just like in TK after all. Random artist did 2P or 3P costume for characters that already exist, they didn't create new comers.

Where the hell are you getting this from? There are two pictures, both tiny and she has a completely different weapon. I realize that's just your opinion, but I don't see any basis for it whatsoever.

Also, in the unlikely event that somehow, even with a spear she's like an extra costume for a character with a fencing sword, your statement of "not creating newcomers" still isn't valid, because Scheherezade is a guest artist's creation.

Of course, I don't know any better than you...you could be completely right, I'm just saying that you're really jumping to conclusions without any basis.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

E5150
125th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 18:38post reply

quote:
New? scan.

Also: http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/sciv-1.jpg

Name is Fia Angol.

Rid
7131th Post

"Re(7):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 20:01post reply

quote:

I'm okay with the Star Wars characters! But as I've stated, I would prefer Shaak Ti than those they chose :D

news - art

Pollyanna
2473th Post

"Re(8):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 20:31post reply

There's an issue of "framing" here, in addition to my personal bias for Mine and against Star Wars. If the Star Wars characters had been announced AFTER Scheherezade and Fia, then the response would be more like "Oh, this game is completely insane. It's supposed to be funny."

However, with them coming first and the trailer including them being so serious, the response is "are they trying to be funny, or cool? They're not serious, are they? I mean...is this a joke?"

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
2832th Post

"Re(9):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Wed 26 Mar 20:55post reply

You know, I liked the first new character (the one with the short sword and spear) and I don't mind the Star Wars cameos, but I think Scheherezade and this other new character just look stupid.

Like, worse than Necrid stupid.

Er.....

Rid
7132th Post

"Angol Fear" , posted Wed 26 Mar 21:05post reply

http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scivgv6.jpg It's Fear. Plus Amy, Salsa and Cervy.

news - art

ZamIAm
1713th Post

"Re(4):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 27 Mar 00:08post reply

quote:
New? scan.

Also: http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/03/sciv-1.jpg

Name is Fia Angol.

For some weird reason she makes me think of Rain from Plasma Sword.

sfried
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calibu" , posted Thu 27 Mar 01:08:post reply

quote:
There's an issue of "framing" here, in addition to my personal bias for Mine and against Star Wars.

...And that explains it. You're not taking this objectively and simply running off moe. (Although you could argue the inclusion of Star Wars characters was in itself fan appeal). And I hate to say it, but somehow, Mine's design doesn't jive well with the SC series (all other characters are more realistic looking with slightly more defined features. Even Link had that weird nose in SCII in trying to make him "fit").

So now they have lightsabers and huge spears. Any other weapons have they not covered?

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 27 Mar 01:15]

Saiki
241th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calib" , posted Thu 27 Mar 02:53post reply

quote:
There's an issue of "framing" here, in addition to my personal bias for Mine and against Star Wars.
...And that explains it. You're not taking this objectively and simply running off moe. (Although you could argue the inclusion of Star Wars characters was in itself fan appeal). And I hate to say it, but somehow, Mine's design doesn't jive well with the SC series (all other characters are more realistic looking with slightly more defined features. Even Link had that weird nose in SCII in trying to make him "fit").

So now they have lightsabers and huge spears. Any other weapons have they not covered?

arent mine and fia both considered guest charas since they both designed by famous anime/manga artists?

Nate
924th Post

"Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calib" , posted Thu 27 Mar 04:07post reply

quote:
Any other weapons have they not covered?

I'd like to see a meteor hammer. Or some other lesser-known Chinese martial arts weapon.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

nobinobita
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 04:45post reply

quote:

I'd like to see a meteor hammer. Or some other lesser-known Chinese martial arts weapon.

Fia Angol doesn't have a Meteor Hammer in the Chinese sense, but she does literally have a hammer with a meteor on it. ( ^_^)

Nate
925th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 06:01post reply

quote:

Fia Angol doesn't have a Meteor Hammer in the Chinese sense, but she does literally have a hammer with a meteor on it. ( ^_^)

Pollyanna
2474th Post

"Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul Calib" , posted Thu 27 Mar 06:04post reply

quote:

You're arguing apples and oranges here. True, I like Mine and I don't like Star Wars, but I totally agree that Fia DOESN'T fit. Maybe she fits even worse than the Star Wars characters.

What I'm saying is that she so obviously doesn't fit that it's plainly a joke. She's even related to character from a gag manga. It's ridiculous, but it's supposed to be ridiculous.

The Star Wars characters are ridiculous too, but I don't know if that's intentional or not. I'm saying the more positive response to Fia is because there is no bar anymore. We already know the game is going to be crazy whether we liked it or not. That wasn't the issue when the Star Wars characters were announced.

But that's just in reference to "why is Fia being received positively, but the Star Wars characters weren't."

Personally, I don't think one inclusion is "better" than another, and you're right in saying the Star Wars characters are there for fan appeal. My only bias is that I'm saying "if they're doing fan appeal stuff, I'm glad they're doing something that appeals to me."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Rid
7134th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 06:18:post reply

quote:
Fia
Nobody reads my posts T_T

And why is everybody reacting as if these characters were central to the game? they're just extras, added for some cash, that probably won't be involved in the main storyline or anything. Plus their designs have been interesting so far, and we don't know, they may have a good balance in the game itself.

I don't see people reacting like this because Pac-Man in a Xevious ship is unlockable in Ridge Racer 7, for example.

news - art

[this message was edited by Rid on Thu 27 Mar 06:20]

Gojira
2324th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 06:52post reply

Ugh, why did they do that to Amy? Goddamn it. I didn't care if they whored up the other females but I didn't think they'd turn Amy into a walking panty-shot. Why is Xianghua the only one who gets to retain some level of decency?

nobinobita
299th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 07:51post reply

quote:

Also, on further reflection, Angol Fear (thanks for the correction Rid!) IS using an obscure Chinese Weapon. She's using a sorta mace/spear combination similar to what Sha Wujing used in the Journey to the West.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Xyj-shaseng.jpg

It's an appropriate weapon, as it's one used by mythological chinese celestials (and she's a destroyer of planets from outer space). Also, her dress kinda recalls a Zhong, or ancient Chinese bell (this is more of a gut reaction for me, im not sure if anyone else will agree).

In any case, if you look past the anime face, there's some history going on in that design.

And for the record, i think the more guest characters the merrier. They're not really part of the cannon anyway. I mean, even Necrid was a welcome addition. As stupid looking as he was was, he had this silly Masters of the Universe charm to him. And he wasn't a main character and had zero negative impact on the overall feel of the game.

nobinobita
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 07:58post reply

quote:

I don't see people reacting like this because Pac-Man in a Xevious ship is unlockable in Ridge Racer 7, for example.

OMG THATS SO SUXX! Everyone knows he should be piloting the Galboss!!! \(>o<)/

sfried
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 08:30post reply

quote:
The Star Wars characters are ridiculous too, but I don't know if that's intentional or not. I'm saying the more positive response to Fia is because there is no bar anymore. We already know the game is going to be crazy whether we liked it or not. That wasn't the issue when the Star Wars characters were announced.

I was thinking an exchange went into the Project Soul development team where they were arguing which weapon has yet to make an appearance in Soul Calibur...

"Lightsaber!"
"Uhh...How about a beamsword?"
"N-No! That wont work'! It has to be a real lightsaber"
"Beam Katana?"
"No!"
"You say lightsabers...Wouldn't that just cut all the other characters weapons in half?"
"But half of those weapons are enchanted anyways. So who cares?"
"..."
"I thought so. Let's call Lucas..."

...So while there might be a legitimate reason why they'd want them in there, there's also enough plausible deniability (and willing suspenson of disbelief) as to how they might exist in the Soul Calibur universe (okay...maybe it really is sillier than Heiachi cutting himself with a shard of the Soul Edge just by picking it up in excitement).

ZamIAm
1714th Post

"Weaponry" , posted Thu 27 Mar 11:57post reply

quote:

A ton of stuff isn't covered if you ignore typical European and East Asian weaponry. Tomahawks, boomerangs, a number of throwing blades (though you have to figure out some sort of way to justify the "infinite ammo"), two handed stick based styles like the Zulus or some Filipinos use.

Iron D
2834th Post

"Re(1):Weaponry" , posted Thu 27 Mar 18:34post reply

I guess this'll teach me to actually read through the entire thread before I say something. I didn't realize that those two characters were guests.

Good, but they're still not appealing designs. Not to me, anyway.

Er.....

Just a Person
1116th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Thu 27 Mar 20:34post reply

quote:
arent mine and fia both considered guest charas since they both designed by famous anime/manga artists?

You're talking about Scheherazade and Angol Fear, right? If I understood correctly, Mine is the person who created one of them.

I don't know if they can be considered guest characters, since both of them are original characters (yes, Fear is related to a manga character, but from what I know she didn't exist before SC4), specifically made for SC4.

But they can be one-game characters, appearing just in SC4 and then fading into obscurity. From the 3 real new characters announced so far (Yoda and Vader are guest characters), I think only Hilde has a chance of coming back for SC5...

nobinobita
301th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 02:53post reply

quote:

I don't know if they can be considered guest characters, since both of them are original characters (yes, Fear is related to a manga character, but from what I know she didn't exist before SC4), specifically made for SC4.

Would you consider Necrid a guest character? I know they made a story for him, but it never crossed my mind to think of him as actually being part of the Soul Calibur universe. I'd assume the fans in Japan would think the same for Angol Fear who was created by a very popular mangaka and who is even directly related to a character from his comic. She's a new character, but she comes from an already established universe. I don't think anyone will confuse her for part of the main cast. Well, they might if they've never read Sgt. Keroro, but i doubt that is Namco's intention.

Ishmael
3100th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 02:57post reply

Shots of the recently announced returning cast members can be found here.

While I figured that Amy was a given I do wonder if any of the other SC3 custom weapon characters have a chance of becoming full fledged competitors. Also, I wonder if the CAW mode will be back in SC4. Being able to make a little maid girl who swings around Darth Vader's lightsaber wouldn't seem appropriate in another game but with all the stunt casting Namco has been doing for this title there now doesn't seem to be any cap on what is acceptable in a SC game.

Iggy
8432th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 07:45post reply

quote:
I think only Hilde has a chance of coming back for SC5...

I don't think any character at all has any chance of coming back in SC5 if 4 is the final game of the series.

makatiel
206th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 12:29post reply

I'm surprised people are reacting negatively to these announcements.

I mean seriously, this is NAMCO. They've always been one of the silliest game companies in the industry. That's why I love them.

Panda? Black ninja Raven? Bob? Necrid? Link? Heihachi?!?!

They have had Lizardman and Yoshimitsu right from the start of this series. I mean, c'mon, can it really get any more silly than Lizardman?

This is why Namco is awesome. If they want to add weird, funny, fanservice-y guest characters, I'm all for it.

Personally, I wish they would team up with Sega and add some Last Bronx or Fighting Vipers chracters.

Maou
1393th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 13:16:post reply

Lizardman is your only god

You're right there, the whole idea of making a Sophitia without the panty shots and with the...lizardiness is impressively insane. I long for the return of Roger Jr.

Maybe the difference here is that the Soul Calibur weird/guest characters always sort of suck, whereas all the weird/guest characters in Tekken were insane and HILARIOUS as opposed to insane and not very funny, or just boring. I mean, Gon and Mokujin vs....Charade? Necrid? Spawn? If you're going to go goofy, do it right, SC.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 28 Mar 13:18]

Grave
1023th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 14:07post reply

quote:

Now, I don't care about these characters either way, since they're not Picard. Or shaved head Sakuragi. But I have wanted RR7 for a while, but you just sold me a copy in a hurry!

makatiel
207th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 14:45post reply

quote:
Maybe the difference here is that the Soul Calibur weird/guest characters always sort of suck, whereas all the weird/guest characters in Tekken were insane and HILARIOUS as opposed to insane and not very funny, or just boring. I mean, Gon and Mokujin vs....Charade? Necrid? Spawn? If you're going to go goofy, do it right, SC.

I totally forgot about Gon and the Prof that couldn't stand up! Hahaha. Awesome.

I can see where you're coming from though, about goofy being done right/wrong. Still, it seems like a pretty difficult line to draw.

I kind of wish Namco would get even goofier (like Fighters Megamix style), but maybe that's just me.

NARUTO
3630th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 18:55post reply

quote:
I think only Hilde has a chance of coming back for SC5...

I don't think any character at all has any chance of coming back in SC5 if 4 is the final game of the series.

Did namco officialy announced SC4 as the last one?
As far I know there is just the trailer teling that the story slowly comes to an end. And those can take 2 more games if they wish...^_^

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Iron D
2835th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 19:30post reply

quote:
I'm surprised people are reacting negatively to these announcements.

I mean seriously, this is NAMCO. They've always been one of the silliest game companies in the industry. That's why I love them.

Panda? Black ninja Raven? Bob? Necrid? Link? Heihachi?!?!

They have had Lizardman and Yoshimitsu right from the start of this series. I mean, c'mon, can it really get any more silly than Lizardman?

This is why Namco is awesome. If they want to add weird, funny, fanservice-y guest characters, I'm all for it.

Personally, I wish they would team up with Sega and add some Last Bronx or Fighting Vipers chracters.

I was ccomplaining about how crappy the designs for the Japanese guest characters are, not that there were guest characters in there. I don't mind silly, but I definitely don't think that Namco shoudl go Megamix silly.

Also, I fail to see how Raven being Black makes him a silly character.

Er.....

Pollyanna
2477th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 28 Mar 20:04post reply

quote:

Well, he's no more silly than a white ninja.

I didn't know if Raven was supposed to be kind of funny or totally cool...because he's like...too "cool". Suspiciously cool. Like someone with a leather jacket and big black sunglasses. Like you know when Sonic shakes his finger he's supposed to be cool...but...that's not really the case.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
2836th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Sat 29 Mar 00:29post reply

quote:

Well, he's no more silly than a white ninja.

I didn't know if Raven was supposed to be kind of funny or totally cool...because he's like...too "cool". Suspiciously cool. Like someone with a leather jacket and big black sunglasses. Like you know when Sonic shakes his finger he's supposed to be cool...but...that's not really the case.

I don't see how his ethnicity/nationality is at all what makes him silly. The fact that he's a ninja working for some espionage agency that infiltrates fighting tournaments...that's silly. But his ethnicity/nationality being the cause of his being silly? Doesn't make any sense.

Also, don't say Sonic's finger wag isn't cool...you'll make me cry...

Er.....

Nate
927th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Sat 29 Mar 01:08:post reply

quote:

I don't see how his ethnicity/nationality is at all what makes him silly. The fact that he's a ninja working for some espionage agency that infiltrates fighting tournaments...that's silly. But his ethnicity/nationality being the cause of his being silly? Doesn't make any sense.

At risk of possibly saying something stupid, what's silly is that he's a non-Japanese ninja. Being that ninja are a strictly Japanese thing, to some people a non-Japanese ninja sounds odd.

Personally I just hate Raven's Dennis Rodman hair and "badass" voice.

EDIT: On that note, what's up with Japanese developers giving so many black characters white or bleached hair? Storm's cool and all, but come on. Is it that hard to accurately depict someone with real black hair that isn't an afro?

[this message was edited by Nate on Sat 29 Mar 01:10]

rid
7135th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Sat 29 Mar 01:51:post reply

quote:
On that note, what's up with Japanese developers giving so many black characters white or bleached hair? Storm's cool and all, but come on. Is it that hard to accurately depict someone with real black hair that isn't an afro?
I think they do that for the contrast looking more interesting graphically, as features are more noticeable from afar. Note that most times black characters in anime/manga/videogames don't even have african features on their faces, that's because they're probably not intended to, "dark skin" being a stylistic choice as "green hair" would be for them.

The same applies for some american artists but for other reason: exagerating afroamerican face features can be considered racism, so lots of time we see them drawn just as "tan white people". That specially applies to Storm, besides a few recent artists.

Some SC4 artworks for Amy and Cervantes:
http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amyur4.png
http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cervantesfx9.jpg

news - art

[this message was edited by rid on Sat 29 Mar 01:53]

Gojira
2327th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Sat 29 Mar 03:23:post reply

quote:

EDIT: On that note, what's up with Japanese developers giving so many black characters white or bleached hair? Storm's cool and all, but come on. Is it that hard to accurately depict someone with real black hair that isn't an afro?

Well, Raven's design is based on Wesley Snipes, who had bleached hair in Demolition Man. And there are black characters without afros or bleached hair around. Hell, in Tekken even, there's Bruce and Eddy. And I've never heard anyone call Eddy a stereotype.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 29 Mar 03:26]

Ishmael
3102th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Sou" , posted Sat 29 Mar 04:30post reply

How did Raven end up in the novelty character catagory? Considering that Yoshimitsu is running around the Tekken world claiming to be some sort of space ninja the sight of Raven with his leather body suit and bleached hair seems very grounded and reasonable. Besides, I thought that Galford had broken down that ninja ethinicity barrier years ago.

For me the problem with SC's guest characters isn't their design but that it feels more like stunt casting than anything else. With the exception of that disgusting little runt Gon all the characters in Tekken are actually part of Tekken regardless of how crazy their designs are. For example, I accept that there are bears in Tekken because they are the Tekken bears. While I don't know why bears are allowed to participate in a fighting tournament but it's part of the universe that the games have created. I also know the bears have a good chance of showing up in later Tekken games. Ever since the many legal and illegal SF2 updates and SNK acting as if the world will end if they aren't constantly making a KoF game the idea of upgrades and sequels has become ingrained in the genre. Seeing how a character changes when put into the latest game engine is part of the fun of the game. With these guest star characters, however, it's almost a given that they won't be seen again. Why should I get attached to the girl in the Madonna cone brassiere if I know she's going to be gone by the time SC6 comes around?

I admit those are all silly reasons for finding the guest characters a bit off-putting but what someone likes or dislikes about a hobby are often very arbitrary.

Pollyanna
2478th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Sat 29 Mar 06:09post reply

quote:

Also, don't say Sonic's finger wag isn't cool...you'll make me cry...

Well, if you don't think a black ninja, or a French ninja or whatever is a little silly and you don't think a Jewish mariachi player is silly or a Chinese cowboy is silly, then that's that. I think Raven is silly because he's too "cool". Being a black ninja doesn't help, but it isn't the cincher.

Still, I'm saying "silly" not "joke character". As Ishmael pointed out, he's certainly less silly than Yoshimitsu.

Back on Soul Calibur, Amy's costume is too tacky, but I know saying "they need to tone it down a little" is wasted on something like Soul Calibur.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1541th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Sat 29 Mar 08:10post reply

quote:

Back on Soul Calibur, Amy's costume is too tacky, but I know saying "they need to tone it down a little" is wasted on something like Soul Calibur.

How different is it from SC3?

About all I can remember is that she isn't wearing a cape/cloak now, but I don't remember her art pictures looking that much less like the SC4 one.

Of course, if she looked totally different in-game, then yeah.

Nate
927th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Sou" , posted Sat 29 Mar 09:17post reply

quote:

How different is it from SC3?

I think it's all the fur on her costume. She definitely didn't have that before.

Iron D
2839th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lam" , posted Sun 30 Mar 06:05post reply

quote:

Well, if you don't think a black ninja, or a French ninja or whatever is a little silly and you don't think a Jewish mariachi player is silly or a Chinese cowboy is silly, then that's that. I think Raven is silly because he's too "cool". Being a black ninja doesn't help, but it isn't the cincher.

Well that's different. You didn't clarify the "he's too cool" part before. You just mentioned that he was a Black ninja. And my confusion on that stems from the fact that, as Ishmael pointed out, non-Japanese ninjas have been popping up all over pop culture for years now.

Er.....

makatiel
208th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lam" , posted Mon 31 Mar 12:00post reply

quote:

Well that's different. You didn't clarify the "he's too cool" part before. You just mentioned that he was a Black ninja. And my confusion on that stems from the fact that, as Ishmael pointed out, non-Japanese ninjas have been popping up all over pop culture for years now.

And they are all kind of silly (including Galford).

There was a Japanese-made cowboy movie (Dwango) where the cowboys were Japanese. That was pretty damn silly too.

I think it's okay to admit that a black ninja is silly as hell, just as it's okay to admit that Afro Samurai is silly as hell. That doesn't mean that both Raven and Afro Samurai aren't awesome though. Silly and awesome aren't mutually exclusive.

Other examples of silly and awesome include most notably, Bob, Yoshimitsu, etc. Even in In SC, you've got Tira and her Hoola Hoop of Death. If that's not both silly and awesome at the same time, I don't know what is.

Maese Spt
401th Post

Gold Customer

"*sigh*" , posted Mon 31 Mar 14:58post reply

Since Sould Edge/Calibur used to be my fav fighting series, I kind of wanted to make some witty remark or something... but I think it's not worth it. It's too discouraging for me.

Anyway, according to Namco SC4 is not supposed to be the last SC game. It's just supposed to bring some kind of conclusion to the main storyline, the Soul Edge vs. Soul Calibur conflict. And we all know how important the storyline is for a fighting franchise... specially for one which has a prideful tradition of throwing in elves, time travelers and beings from another dimensions into a 16th Century swordplay tale scenario.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Mosquiton
1726th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 4 Apr 07:22:post reply

quote:

Also, on further reflection, Angol Fear (thanks for the correction Rid!) IS using an obscure Chinese Weapon. She's using a sorta mace/spear combination similar to what Sha Wujing used in the Journey to the West.

It's a moon pole. There's even a freaking moon attached to this one!

Did anyone play that Saiyuki SRPG? One of those dudes slung a pretty mean moon pole.

Regarding the overall designs though, decision to include the guest characters, etc...

I think the dev team has kind of lost it honestly. By "it" I mean their solid grasp on the series.

To me, crazy shit like guest characters from Star Wars and mangaka are things that should come WAY THE HELL AFTER you've released a finished game with its own solid identity.

Rather than adding the extras on later, they're kind of lumping everything in together at the beginning and honestly it looks a little sloppy.

Maybe this is a product of not having an arcade version coming out before a home version, or it's clearly separated in the game and it's just crazy out of control marketing, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

I also don't know about what are pretty clearly finishing moves... which feels to me like they're reaching back years and years to grab a "new" idea for the series.

Well, I'll still play it.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 4 Apr 07:31]

Spoon
1550th Post

"Re(1):*sigh*" , posted Fri 4 Apr 08:49post reply

quote:
the Soul Edge vs. Soul Calibur conflict.

You know, this entire time I didn't know that they were two different things!

Shows what I know about the story.

Maou
1393th Post

"Re(2):*sigh*" , posted Fri 4 Apr 10:35post reply

quote:
the Soul Edge vs. Soul Calibur conflict.

You know, this entire time I didn't know that they were two different things!

Shows what I know about the story.

Spoon's street cred was seriously injured...but the soul still burns

nobinobita
309th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Awesome or incredibly lame: Soul" , posted Fri 4 Apr 11:22post reply

quote:

It's a moon pole. There's even a freaking moon attached to this one!

Did anyone play that Saiyuki SRPG? One of those dudes slung a pretty mean moon pole.

Yeah, his name was Sa-Gojo, which is the Japanese name for Sha Wujing. (*^-^*)

Gojira
2333th Post

"New gameplay details" , posted Wed 16 Apr 17:01:post reply

From Gamespot

Notes:
-Hilde is primarily short-ranged, with long-range spear attacks that can be "charged"
-The gem next to the lifebar is called a soul gauge, some kind of play style indicator that turns red when you guard too much
-When the soul gauge turns red the opponent can do an "armor break" attack
-Broken armor is represented visually on the character model
-After armor is broken once, if the soul gauge becomes red again from too much guarding, the opponent can pull off a "critical finish" that ends the match if it connects

Sounds like critical finishes aren't that broken but I'm worried about what they will do for more aggressive characters.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Wed 16 Apr 17:10]

Iggy
8457th Post

"Re(1):New gameplay details" , posted Wed 16 Apr 18:03post reply

I'm worried about how broken armor will be represented visually on already half-naked characters.

Ishmael
3121th Post

"Re(2):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 17 Apr 01:24post reply

The broken armor sounds like a nice variation on the weapon gauge from Soul Edge. At least this version sounds like it will be about cosmetics and putting you in a bad tactical situation instead of having your character switch over to a generic unarmed fighting style when they lost their weapon.

Maou
1394th Post

"Re(3):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 17 Apr 08:39post reply

Aha! I am VERY interested in seeing if they can do the broken armor idea, a very intriguing one, well. Last good fighter I know of that did that was Fighting Vipers, and that was like, 10 years ago...

Critical finishes, though? That's also about 10 years old...but on US fighters like MK and...Killer Instinct. Ick.

ZamIAm
1720th Post

"Re(4):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 17 Apr 11:19post reply

quote:
Critical finishes, though? That's also about 10 years old...but on US fighters like MK and...Killer Instinct. Ick.

Well, Killer Instinct was actually UK (and not that bad despite some quirks) but aren't there a number of other games that do similar? At the very least you have the Final Smash from Super Smash Bros Brawl.

hikarutilmitt
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 17 Apr 12:40post reply

quote:

Well, Killer Instinct was actually UK (and not that bad despite some quirks) but aren't there a number of other games that do similar? At the very least you have the Final Smash from Super Smash Bros Brawl.

And, well, the death moves from Hokuto no Ken.

Maou
1396th Post

"Re(5):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 17 Apr 12:41post reply

Oops, I forgot that Rare was an English company. Still, no really good fighter I know of has ever gone with the crass MK "killing finisher" nonsense, but then, if SCIV is to be about everything and the proverbial kitchen sink, then..

Time Mage
2661th Post

"Re(2):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 17 Apr 17:17post reply

quote:
I'm worried about how broken armor will be represented visually on already half-naked characters.

They mistranslated it. It's not "armor break", but "cloth ripper" instead. They thought of naming it "fanservice attack", but decided against it in the last moment.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

E5150
127th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):New gameplay details" , posted Wed 23 Apr 20:20post reply

quote:

They mistranslated it. It's not "armor break", but "cloth ripper" instead. They thought of naming it "fanservice attack", but decided against it in the last moment.

Was this posted?

Spoon
1567th Post

"Re(3):New gameplay details" , posted Wed 23 Apr 20:55post reply

quote:

After all these years, something will finally deliver on the Jingi Storm promise.

Re: finishers -
Weaponlord had finishing moves that could only be done when incorporated as part of the combo that kills the opponent. Weaponlord was actuallly a good game, according to the people that could actually figure out how to play it.

Iron D
2867th Post

"Re(4):New gameplay details" , posted Wed 23 Apr 22:08post reply

quote:

Was this posted?

Argh! They're bringing Rock back again? He always seemed so pointless, especially with Astaroth already in there. He's always just been Astaroth minus a few moves. I don't see why Namco keeps insisting on putting him in there.

Er.....

Gojira
2338th Post

"Re(5):New gameplay details" , posted Wed 23 Apr 22:22post reply

quote:

Was this posted?

Argh! They're bringing Rock back again? He always seemed so pointless, especially with Astaroth already in there. He's always just been Astaroth minus a few moves. I don't see why Namco keeps insisting on putting him in there.

Obviously, it's so they can put him in as many goofy animal helmets as they can.

Ishmael
3131th Post

"Re(4):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 24 Apr 01:23post reply

quote:

Was this posted?

Thanks for the link. I like how Yoshimitsu appears to have a nautilus on his head but is still one of the more reserved designs in SC4.

quote:
Weaponlord had finishing moves that could only be done when incorporated as part of the combo that kills the opponent. Weaponlord was actuallly a good game, according to the people that could actually figure out how to play it.

At some point I expect that Weaponlord will be recognized as a misunderstood game that was ahead of its time. That, or I'm mistaking confusing controls for complexity since to this day I still don't know what the hell is going on in that game.

Tai-Pan
226th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):New gameplay details" , posted Thu 24 Apr 10:05post reply

quote:

Was this posted?

Thanks for the link. I like how Yoshimitsu appears to have a nautilus on his head but is still one of the more reserved designs in SC4.

At some point I expect that Weaponlord will be recognized as a misunderstood game that was ahead of its time. That, or I'm mistaking confusing controls for complexity since to this day I still don't know what the hell is going on in that game.

Weaponlord was a piece of art. The "mystic" controls made it even more impressive.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Gojira
2352th Post

"New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 01:42post reply

So evidently SC4 needs more female characters.
This one's name is Shura:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

shipoopi

Nate
930th Post

"Re(1):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 01:51post reply

quote:
So evidently SC4 needs more female characters.
This one's name is Shura:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

More female characters with enormous tits, no less. Those look out of control.

Ishmael
3148th Post

"Re(2):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 03:44post reply

She looks like some sort of odd mix of Shiki and Taki's trampy twin sister. But if she takes advantage of all those swords she's carrying around during battle she might make for a very visually interesting character.

Just a Person
1144th Post

"Re(3):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 04:08post reply

quote:
She looks like some sort of odd mix of Shiki and Taki's trampy twin sister. But if she takes advantage of all those swords she's carrying around during battle she might make for a very visually interesting character.

Yes, she seems to carry many swords... SNK did something similar to Yoshitora, but it looks quite interesting to see a character with multiple weapons in 3D.

She could wear some pants or skirt, though. I like sexy girls, but this one is leaving nothing to anyone's imagination...

Spoon
1576th Post

"Re(4):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 04:28post reply

That looks like a seriously uncomfortable wedgie.

Kinda reminds me of Mei-Fang from AH in that regard, but I guess they can justify wedgies of arbitrary depth on the grounds that she's supposed to be a robot.

Thankfully the uncomfortable wegies haven't extended to the male cast..... yet, anyway.

kofoguz
591th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 04:33post reply

quote:
More female characters with enormous tits, no less. Those look out of control.

They cant help it. They use a full armor female fighter so to balancethat, they need more hors. Well eventhough there's armor break thing. So I guess that means eventually Hilda will show her tits too.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Ishmael
3150th Post

"Re(4):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 05:08post reply

quote:
Yes, she seems to carry many swords... SNK did something similar to Yoshitora, but it looks quite interesting to see a character with multiple weapons in 3D.

Now that I think about it she was probably given all those swords just so people could use her move list when creating a CAW of Date Masamune.

Just a Person
1145th Post

"Re(5):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Thu 15 May 06:06post reply

quote:
Thankfully the uncomfortable wegies haven't extended to the male cast..... yet, anyway.

What about Voldo?

I wonder if the girls who play SC would want the male cast in wedgies... I hope not.

sushi_bunny
441th Post

Gold Customer

"Five words..." , posted Fri 16 May 02:05post reply

THONG TH THONG THONG THONG!

Someday I will ask her to Cosplay as Kasumi from DOA for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66BrPaeMePM

nobinobita
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Fri 16 May 05:08post reply

quote:

New Soul Calibur screens!

HARO
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):New character by GANTZ artist(?)" , posted Fri 16 May 07:57post reply

quote:

New Soul Calibur screens!

dbg you pos

Gojira
2354th Post

"New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 05:58post reply

I wonder if it will be a guy!

Ashlotte

OTL

shipoopi

Just a Person
1148th Post

"Re(1):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 09:11:post reply

quote:

Ashlotte

OTL

Weird outfit, but I liked her more than the other three guest gals.

But how many guest-created characters will Namco add in SCIV?? We already have Scheherazade, Angol Fear, Shura and now Ashlotte... considering that probably none of them will ever appear again in the SC series, this profusion of guest-created characters is quite weird.

EDIT: paying more attention to the artwork, she has cogs inside her arms and... in her chest?

Maybe she's a robot, android or something like that. And the weirdness of the guest characters goes on...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sun 18 May 10:09]

Zepy
1468th Post

"Re(1):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 13:34post reply

quote:

Ashlotte

OTL

She looks surprising for an Oh! Great character, I mean, his characters are usually to be a lot... fuller.

But man, I don't know what the target audience for Soul Calibur is anymore as they keep announcing these characters. I don't remember who the new non-guest characters are already.

NARUTO
3636th Post

"Re(2):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 18:02post reply

quote:
She looks surprising for an Oh! Great character, I mean, his characters are usually to be a lot... fuller.

But man, I don't know what the target audience for Soul Calibur is anymore as they keep announcing these characters. I don't remember who the new non-guest characters are already.

IMo an Ijin Ogure characters is always a major win... An for once she doenst' have massive boobs

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Iggy
8489th Post

"Re(2):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 19:06post reply

quote:

I think the only new male character is Darth Vader (or Yoda, depending on your machine).
The target audience is rather straightforward : people who prefer anime character than plastic Barbie models. Besides that, the difference with DoA is less and less clear.

Gojira
2355th Post

"Re(3):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 19:45post reply

quote:
IMo an Ijin Ogure characters is always a major win... An for once she doenst' have massive boobs

She has gears though. Maybe her boobs transform

shipoopi

Arngrim
339th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 20:21post reply

quote:

Ashlotte

OTL

Well, there is something about Oh!Great designs that I've always loved. I found his alternate costume for Asuka in Tekken 5 very appealing.

Sure that he destroys his plots (he's had certain good points in his work's plot only), but definetely Ashlotte has a great design.

However, these bonus characters are, broadly, adding a randomness factor to the roster, up to the point where the audience already believes that anything can happen.

And also taking into account the fact that none of this characters will return on future installments of the series (well... wasn't this one supossed to be the final installment? I wonder), I find these announcements utterly disappointing.

IMHO, new officials characters should be presented first, like Hilde (who is stunning, and not only for the pounty lips that many café members love), and afterwards proceed with the barrage of guest desinger characters, because this characters are equally turning on and off the fans around this title.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

Just a Person
1148th Post

"Re(2):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 21:34post reply

quote:
I don't remember who the new non-guest characters are already.

So far, only Hilde.

Maybe she'll be the only new non-guest character in SCIV?

Iggy
8491th Post

"Re(2):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Sun 18 May 23:50:post reply

quote:
And also taking into account the fact that none of this characters will return on future installments of the series

I wonder why people think this is the case... Of course, Star Wars character won't come back, but I don't see any reason not to have the other girls star as regular Soulcalibur characters.
They are drawn by guest designers, they are not guest characters themselves. I mean, Yoshitora, Yunfei and Gaô are SS characters, not Watsuki's.
quote:
(well... wasn't this one supossed to be the final installment? I wonder)

I think it is. But then, like all things, it will depend on the success of this episode.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sun 18 May 23:53]

EddyT
714th Post

"Re(4):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Mon 19 May 00:00post reply

quote:

She has gears though. Maybe her boobs transform

Maybe her boobs are missiles that she can fire, like Aphrodite from Mazinger Z.

Of course, she'd be screwed if she fired both boob missles.

... unless she had refillable boob... missles

NARUTO
3637th Post

"Re(3):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Mon 19 May 02:35post reply

quote:
I wonder why people think this is the case... Of course, Star Wars character won't come back, but I don't see any reason not to have the other girls star as regular Soulcalibur characters.
They are drawn by guest designers, they are not guest characters themselves. I mean, Yoshitora, Yunfei and Gaô are SS characters, not Watsuki's.
(well... wasn't this one supossed to be the final installment? I wonder)

Agrees... Those characters can even be used to make a new arc story, somehow just like in KOF.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Grave
1060th Post

"Re(4):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Mon 19 May 03:02post reply

I dunno, after SC3 I was already feeling like they should nuke the whole series and start over from scratch. Nothing we've seen about SC4 so far has led me to believe anything else yet! The designs have been getting progressively more hideous since SC2 and they show no signs of stopping. Also the zombie faces have me longing for SF4's cartoon expressions. Or any expression of any kind.

I've kind of accepted that the first two games in the Soul series are the only ones for me, and I don't expect this to change anytime soon. But it won't stop me from whining incessantly about it any chance I get!

Maou
1433th Post

"Re(5):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Mon 19 May 04:58post reply

quote:

I've kind of accepted that the first two games in the Soul series are the only ones for me, and I don't expect this to change anytime soon. But it won't stop me from whining incessantly about it any chance I get!

Join the club! I am always up for a SC III hatefest. And this from someone who together with his friends played probably about 2000 hours of SC 1 and 2 combined.

Iggy
8491th Post

"Re(6):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Mon 19 May 05:19post reply

quote:
Join the club! I am always up for a SC III hatefest. And this from someone who together with his friends played probably about 2000 hours of SC 1 and 2 combined.

The only question at this point is whether SC4 will outugly the 3.

EddyT
715th Post

"Re(5):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Mon 19 May 08:39post reply

quote:
I dunno, after SC3 I was already feeling like they should nuke the whole series and start over from scratch. Nothing we've seen about SC4 so far has led me to believe anything else yet! The designs have been getting progressively more hideous since SC2 and they show no signs of stopping. Also the zombie faces have me longing for SF4's cartoon expressions. Or any expression of any kind.

You know, that's a reason why I like SFIV so much. I watch Tekken 6, and I see the characters have some emotions on their face... but during certain times (like in between rounds, when they show the fallen opponent getting up and preparing for the next round), I was really surprised to see them have no expression whatsoever. Dead or Alive is even worse.

You would think after making such a nice, detailed character, you would give that character good expressions to compliment... but I've been surprised at the lack of spirit most fighters have in the expression department.

And yeah, SCIV with all those guest characters makes the game feel kinda weird. I'm not a big fan of the series, though...

NARUTO
3638th Post

"Re(6):New character by Oh! Great" , posted Tue 20 May 18:46post reply

just a line to says that since Oh Great did an characters art for SC4, this month Ultra jump have a poster of this character. Just like the Asuka VS Paul for TK5, here it's Ashlotte VS Voldo....

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Gojira
2359th Post

"... and Setsuka" , posted Wed 21 May 19:06post reply

New thread? Bah!

http://koke.from.tv/up/src/koke4181.jpg

Link probably won't last long, but you can get a better look at Shura/Ashlotte and there's Setsuka in a tiny box at the bottom looking all insignificant with blonde hair and tattoo and her outfit falling off.

shipoopi

Grave
1061th Post

"Re(1):... and Setsuka" , posted Wed 21 May 19:18post reply

I didn't mind the Ashlotte design, but wow, she looks lousy in-game.

NARUTO
3639th Post

"Re(1):... and Setsuka" , posted Wed 21 May 19:19post reply

the Ashlotte poster...somehow...

http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/contents/magazine/img/furoku.jpg

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Arngrim
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):... and Setsuka" , posted Wed 21 May 22:35post reply

quote:

....Why is the highlight of the illustration set on Voldo's bulge?

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

Ishmael
3155th Post

"Re(3):... and Setsuka" , posted Wed 21 May 23:32post reply

quote:

....Why is the highlight of the illustration set on Voldo's bulge?

Oh! Great and Voldo always give the fans what they want.

Just a Person
1152th Post

"Re(1):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 03:12post reply

quote:
New thread? Bah!

http://koke.from.tv/up/src/koke4181.jpg

Link probably won't last long, but you can get a better look at Shura/Ashlotte and there's Setsuka in a tiny box at the bottom looking all insignificant with blonde hair and tattoo and her outfit falling off.

Setsuka is blonde? That's curious... did women back to the time of SC had the habit of dying their hair?

I wonder, with Setsuka's return and Amy's inclusion in the main roster, if Hwang and Li Long will also come back to SCIV...

Iron D
2875th Post

"Re(2):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 03:19post reply

quote:

Setsuka is blonde? That's curious... did women back to the time of SC had the habit of dying their hair?

Well, her 2p outfit in three had blonde hair.

Er.....

Just a Person
1154th Post

"Re(3):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 03:28post reply

quote:

Well, her 2p outfit in three had blonde hair.

Yup, but back then it was her 2P outfit, not the "canon" one. This time, even her artwork portrays her blonde...

nobinobita
344th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 03:33post reply

quote:

People have been dying their hair and wearing wigs for thousands of years. If you look at old scroll paintings, you'll see warriors and gods and regular folk with hair all sorts of colors, so it's not inappropriate. I don't think this case looks particularly good... but its not out of the question. Didn't Maxi have golden hair for his alternate color as well ?

Ishmael
3157th Post

"Re(3):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 03:54post reply

Since Setsuka isn't Japanese perhaps they decided to make the blonde hair her official color to help emphasize that fact?

NARUTO
3641th Post

"Re(4):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 03:56post reply

quote:

Yup, but back then it was her 2P outfit, not the "canon" one. This time, even her artwork portrays her blonde...

Setsuka is blonde and always was... Read her bio in SC3 shes not japanese, she's said to have plae skin and blue eyes... The black hair was made to fit in the japanese society.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Just a Person
1156th Post

"Re(5):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 03:58post reply

quote:

Setsuka is blonde and always was... Read her bio in SC3 shes not japanese, she's said to have plae skin and blue eyes... The black hair was made to fit in the japanese society.

I know she's not Japanese, but she had black (or brown, not sure) hair in SC3. Did she dye it back then? Or wore a wig, I don't know?

NARUTO
3642th Post

"Re(6):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 04:32post reply

quote:

I know she's not Japanese, but she had black (or brown, not sure) hair in SC3. Did she dye it back then? Or wore a wig, I don't know?

She's said to be blonde...and changing hair color to fit the tradition.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

nobinobita
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 05:13post reply

quote:

Oh cool, so she's NOT Japanese. Then that design works well. It wasn't her hair I thought looked strange, but her facial features, but they work well now that I know she's supposed to be caucasian.

Here is an interesting interview with the character designers:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3146108

It's interesting to note that they come up with the weapon first, then they create the character for the weapon. That's a pretty unique approach!

Olivier Hague
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 06:15post reply

quote:
Read her bio in SC3 shes not japanese, she's said to have plae skin and blue eyes...

... and "glossy black hair".

EddyT
722th Post

"Re(8):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 07:03:post reply

quote:

Oh cool, so she's NOT Japanese. Then that design works well. It wasn't her hair I thought looked strange, but her facial features, but they work well now that I know she's supposed to be caucasian.

It's interesting to note that they come up with the weapon first, then they create the character for the weapon. That's a pretty unique approach!

I assume the artist feature in this article is Junny?

Her artwork is incredible IMO. One of my favorite artists out there.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Thu 22 May 07:03]

Iggy
8493th Post

"Re(6):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 07:16post reply

Can someone who cares enough about this game remind me/us of the whole cast ?
Are all the old characters confirmed ? How many new characters are there, besides Yoda/Darth ? (remember, they used to be the main attraction back when the game has about something else than big breasts and slutty leather outfits).

nobinobita
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 07:39post reply

quote:

I assume the artist feature in this article is Junny?

Her artwork is incredible IMO. One of my favorite artists out there.

Wait, SHE's Junny?? Junny is a SHE? THIS (not work safe) Junny?

Wow, I feel so much better about fap--i mean, APpreciating her art so often.

Seriously though. Junny blows my mind. Her art is so Terada influenced, and he's just about the most masculine artist out there. At the same time she does pay special attention to the female form, depicting things with a real feminine voluptuousness that most men might couldn't grasp.

I'm constantly amazed by the quality, widespread presence and variety of female artists in Japan. I was amazed each time I found that so many of my favorite artists like Kinu, Edayan, Ayami Kojima and Kengo Yonekura were women, since they didn't draw in anything resembling a stereotypically girly style (well cept for Kojima maybe).

I know i sound like a crass slack jawed cave man for finding novelty in their gender, but you really don't see as many women in games, comics or animation in the US, though that is quickly changing with the next generation of kids entering the workforce.

Maou
1435th Post

"Re(7):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 07:42:post reply

"Care about it" is difficult to say...I care about it in the same way I would care about watching a once-great renaissance man descend into drunkenness or alzheimers.

Anyway! Answers (minus dumb bonus charas).

And the old ones from III, which was everybody from the past+more people you didn't want.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 22 May 07:43]

Toxico
4400th Post

"Re(7):... and Setsuka" , posted Thu 22 May 07:42post reply

quote:
Can someone who cares enough about this game remind me/us of the whole cast ?

Since that person doesn't exist, I'll use info from wikipedia to make myself feel useful

quote:

Amy, Astaroth, Cassandra, Cervantes, Ivy, Kilik, Lizardman, Maxi, Mitsurugi, Nightmare, Raphael, Rock, Seong Mi-na, Setsuka, Siegfried, Sophitia, Taki, Talim, Tira, Voldo, Xianghua, Yoshimitsu, Yun-seong, Zasalamel

Angol Fear (bonus character designed by guest artist Mine Yoshizaki)

Ashlotte (bonus character designed by guest artist Oh! great)

Darth Vader (guest character on the PlayStation 3 version)

Hilde

Scheherazade (bonus character designed by guest artist Yutaka Izubuchi)

Shura (bonus character designed by guest artist Hiroya Oku)

Yoda (guest character on the Xbox 360 version)

I don't remember Angol Fear being mentioned in the boards before, then again I wouldn't care for this game even if it was being developed in my bedroom.

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of men

Ishmael
3159th Post

"Re(8):... and Setsuka shots" , posted Fri 23 May 21:55post reply

Setsuka, Ashlotte and Shura courtesy of NeoGAF.

Just a Person
1160th Post

"Re(8):... and Setsuka" , posted Fri 23 May 22:09:post reply

quote:
I don't remember Angol Fear being mentioned in the boards before, then again I wouldn't care for this game even if it was being developed in my bedroom.

Yes, she was. She was mentioned in another topic, if I remember well. It was in this board that I found out about her (back then, people didn't know exactly her name, so she was mentioned as "Fia Angol" a couple of times).

quote:

Wow, they look great! Thanks for the pictures!

Despite being blonde, Setsuka still looks like Setsuka, which is nice. Ashlotte looks nice, but out of place. Shura would look out of place had this been SCII, but since almost all the females wear next to nothing in SCIV, she fits just fine...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 24 May 01:29]

kofoguz
593th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):... and Setsuka shots" , posted Fri 23 May 22:25post reply

quote:

Wow, Setsuka is now a hore. I didnt like it. I guess never enough boobs for Soul Calibur. If there will be SC5 I am pretty sure it will +21/Mature Only.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Maese Spt
413th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):... and Setsuka shots" , posted Fri 23 May 23:27post reply

quote:
Wow, Setsuka is now a hore.

What are you talking about? She IS a street hooker, she was like this from the very beginning, that's how she earns her living! If I try hard enough I kind of *could* understand how can anybody rage about B.Jenet's infamous downfall to the pits of tackyness on 3D KOFs, but being surprised about Setsuka...? Gimme a break.

What's more, while I don't like her as a blondie, Setsuka's new badass-Edo-jidai-dice-parlor-thug look is pretty much the only attractive thing I am finding on this whole SCIV mess. Nothing elegant, but still it has "something", both sexy and powerful at the same time.

I could save Hilde from the wrecking as well, but that's about it.

Ah, to think that, once upon a time, the Soul series was an example of beauty and good taste on videogames! Sic transit gloria mundi, or so they say. I think I'm going to slit my veins, or something. ;_;

kofoguz
594th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):... and Setsuka shots" , posted Sat 24 May 02:20post reply

quote:
Wow, Setsuka is now a hore.

What are you talking about? She IS a street hooker, she was like this from the very beginning, that's how she earns her living! If I try hard enough I kind of *could* understand how can anybody rage about B.Jenet's infamous downfall to the pits of tackyness on 3D KOFs, but being surprised about Setsuka...? Gimme a break.

What's more, while I don't like her as a blondie, Setsuka's new badass-Edo-jidai-dice-parlor-thug look is pretty much the only attractive thing I am finding on this whole SCIV mess. Nothing elegant, but still it has "something", both sexy and powerful at the same time.

I could save Hilde from the wrecking as well, but that's about it.

Ah, to think that, once upon a time, the Soul series was an example of beauty and good taste on videogames! Sic transit gloria mundi, or so they say. I think I'm going to slit my veins, or something. ;_;

Well I thought she was trying to get revenge her teacher/lover/landlord from Mitsurugi or something. I didnt know she was a street hooker. To be honest, I like the thug version but breast "implanation" (?)- I probably spelled it wrong-. Its Ivy all over in SCIV. Actually I should have thankful not ranting. When my brother saw this game's pictures, he sure will have a ps3 with a giant lcd. :p

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Gojira
2367th Post

"New trailer and new character" , posted Thu 29 May 06:50post reply

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34522.html

Wow, can it be? A guy, finally?

Though I'm guessing that because of the amorphous lump of Soul Edge he's holding that he'll be the new Edge Master of SC4. Better than nothing.

shipoopi

Ishmael
3169th Post

"Re(1):New trailer and new character" , posted Thu 29 May 22:31post reply

Either this new guy is somehow connected to Siegfried or facial scars are the current hip thing.

I must admit that the shot of Hilde's helmet being knocked off was rather cool. Not only did it dramatically change her look in battle but it added a sense of crisis to the proceedings. Instead of the usual flashes of light and knicks on the life bar that most attacks produce that bit invoked the feelings of power and danger that swinging a massive sword at a person would create. Too bad the other bits of in-game damage came across as a mix between AoF2 and the Battle Raper games. Oh well, it looks to be an interesting novelty no matter how it finally ends up coming across.

Geez, this thread has been around forever.

nobinobita
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):... and Setsuka shots" , posted Thu 29 May 23:46post reply

quote:

New Trailer of Soul Calibur for Xbox Live:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34558.html

I think the new game looks pretty neat, but I still prefer the original with its cleaner designs and naturalistic lighting (I don't know why so many games have pink and green lighting these days). Soul Calibur for DC still holds up really well today!

Maou
1438th Post

"THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 30 May 10:55post reply

Actually, I think this thread is so old that I've already had this as a subject line before.

And you BET the DC Soul Calibur holds up best. Not only is it the best-playing, along with II, it's got the best presentation and extras of all (something the otherwise-wonderful II lacked...where's my Intro Direction? Why can't I change the color of Sophitia's panties? What's with the skimpy art gallery?).

Plus I think it's actually the first 3D fighting game to ever age well. It still looks gorgeous and feels graphically continuous, whereas earlier attempts (and some later attempts!) just look hideous. I wouldn't get anywhere near Tekken 3, which I played forever, but SC I I'll play anytime.

E5150
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 30 May 21:50post reply

Hilde 2P

Iggy
8512th Post

"Re(2):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 30 May 23:15post reply

quote:
Hilde 2P

It that.... clothes on her body ?

NARUTO
3646th Post

"Re(3):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 30 May 23:26post reply

quote:
Hilde 2P

It that.... clothes on her body ?

it's a fake....

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Olivier Hague
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Sat 31 May 05:23post reply

quote:
it's a fake....

'Doesn't look fake to me.

Gojira
2369th Post

"Re(4):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Sat 31 May 06:40post reply

I doubt it's fake. Several sources reported that her second outfit in the press demo build was a dress.

shipoopi

NARUTO
3648th Post

"Re(5):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Sat 31 May 16:19:post reply

quote:
it's a fake....
'Doesn't look fake to me.

...Humour...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

[this message was edited by NARUTO on Sat 31 May 16:20]

Gojira
2370th Post

"Re(6):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Sat 31 May 17:25post reply

...失敗

shipoopi

NARUTO
3648th Post

"Re(7):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Sun 1 Jun 21:59post reply

quote:
...失敗

it seems so...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Ishmael
3173th Post

"Re(8):THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Mon 2 Jun 22:39post reply

I wish I could see more of Hilde's 2P outfit since it looks like it could be quite lovely. I can't wait to beat it off of her.

Hmm, SC4 encourages some very questionable comments.

Gojira
2376th Post

"THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 6 Jun 15:59post reply

New trailer. Actually it's only 10 seconds new, at the end, where they reveal a new character.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/940048/6192182/soulcalibur-iv-official-trailer-5

It's another Lucasarts tie-in character from a new Star Wars game. The guy is supposedly Vader's apprentice. Oh yeah and his name is... Starkiller. LOL.

shipoopi

Sensenic
1619th Post

"Re(1):THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 6 Jun 18:01:post reply

quote:
New trailer. Actually it's only 10 seconds new, at the end, where they reveal a new character.

It's another Lucasarts tie-in character from a new Star Wars game. The guy is supposedly Vader's apprentice. Oh yeah and his name is... Starkiller. LOL.

So deliciously shameless...
Wanna play this game with friends so badly, obviously for all the lulz it will bring.

There are more new things, though... Had all of the old characters (such as Taki) been shown already? Or the Star Wars stage? (which seems to be some spaceship -or Death Star?- hangar)

Oh, gotta love the reference at 00:50. Guess this'll be his throw. ^_^

おやおやぁ~

"Farpaitement!"
-Obelix-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Fri 6 Jun 18:02]

Nekros
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 6 Jun 18:13post reply

quote:

This indicates what became the market after the American uprising with the 360. If only the same strategy worked 10 years ago with Dreamcast...

Just a Person
1173th Post

"Re(2):THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 6 Jun 20:20post reply

By the way, Li Long and Hwang are not in SCIV's character list so far, are they?

I know that the fact that both of them are men can be an obstacle to their inclusion in it, but since they both were in SCIII's Arcade version along with Amy (and since Amy is confirmed in SCIV), their inclusion in SCIV seemed very likely...

Juke Joint Jezebel
3627th Post

"Re(3):THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 6 Jun 21:00post reply

can't wait to see Ivy's new outfit
oh wait...

Just a Person
1174th Post

"Re(4):THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE" , posted Fri 6 Jun 21:29post reply

quote:
can't wait to see Ivy's new outfit
oh wait...

Will she be wearing any?

Iron D
2883th Post

"LAST POST PLEASE!" , posted Sat 7 Jun 17:59post reply

This thread has now gone over 200 posts. Let's open up a new thread, shall we?

Er.....

Maou
1442th Post

"Re(1):LAST POST PLEASE!" , posted Sat 7 Jun 18:02post reply

quote:
This thread has now gone over 200 posts. Let's open up a new thread, shall we?

NOW YOU'VE DONE IT
We can't afford to stop now!