2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2850 Views )

TreIII
60th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Fri 14 Dec 10:20post reply

This hails from Reno over at NeoGAF:

SNK Playmore updated their Samurai Spirits Sen/Flash page with new info on location tests starting on the 20th (Thursday) and ending on Christmas Eve. I guess it's a nice Christmas present for SNK fans. After seeing videos of the first location test, it seems like an interesting game, so I'll be making my rounds to check it out. Unfortunately I can't take any vids/screens but I'll try to post info after I play.

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/samurai_sen/

Here are the addresses/arcades for those who want to check it out for themselves and take videos/pictures. I'll probably hit this up on the 20th and 21st, since I'll be leaving the country on the 22nd.

Game World
Tokyo, Shinjuku Ward, Shinjuku 3-35-8

Silk Hat Keikyu Kawasaki
Kanagawa, Kawasaki City, Kawasaki Ward, Eki-mae Honmachi 16-1

Sonic Beam
Chiba, Matsudo city, Matsudo 1172-1

Namba Hills
Osaka City, Chuo Ward 3-2-34

Good stuff, I say.

...And I STILL think that it will end up being the better "second try at a 2D -> 3D transition", as opposed to a certain other game...

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Replies:

Professor
2432th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Fri 21 Dec 19:04:post reply

I've checked out the beta test for a short moment and there's a few things that definitely needs reporting. Here they go.

Someone's uploaded a video to YT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_t9_ApLPU

1. Graphics = PS2.
I was very wrong on my first impression on Samurai Sen's graphics, my apologies. With Tekken 6 cabinets now out in arcades and running side by side with Samurai Sen, there were clear differences. Samurai Sen looks like it has PS2 quality graphics. The texture is nowhere par to Tekken, the resolution is... surprizingly low. IMO, the graphics looked at a higher resolution during the first beta testing.

2. Gameplay feels like SS1
There hasn't been any game system or control changes since the first beta test. However, the damage rate has been massively, MASSIVELY, increased. One feirce slash can literally take away half a life bar or more. Two feirce slashes and the round is over. At the current point, people were playing the game a bit like an SS1 (albeit with combos), poking each other with weak attacks and looking for a chance to slice in a feirce.

When KO'ing an opponent with a feirce slash, the camera zooms into the loser as they slowly fall onto the ground. In the case of Suzuhime, she's not wearing a skirt so the camera shows her underga nevermind.

Rimururu and a new fencer
Two new characters were unlocked for this beta test; Rimururu, and a new male fencer named Killian. Judging from his looks and move names, he's Spanish. Two more character slots are still to be unlocked.

Nakoruru's got her bird
Nakoruru's Hawk is in the game. I'm not sure if she can command it to attack, but she can definitely grab onto its legs and fly.

That's about it for now!

[edit]
There was a crowd of people, but no waiting line. There weren't any staffs taking notes or keeping a watch either.

For anyone wondering, Samurai Sen runs on the PC-architecture based Taito TypeX 2 board. Tekken 6 runs on the new PS3-based System 357 board.

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 21 Dec 19:22]

Iggy
8292th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Fri 21 Dec 19:47:post reply

quote:
However, the damage rate has been massively, MASSIVELY, increased.

\o/ !
I'm hyped again.

Oh ! and that reminds me : KOF 98UM runs on Taito Type X 1.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Fri 21 Dec 19:59]

ZamIAm
1683th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 01:29post reply

quote:
Nakoruru's got her bird
Nakoruru's Hawk is in the game. I'm not sure if she can command it to attack, but she can definitely grab onto its legs and fly.

Mamaha's back! Hopefully Poppy will be too. This, combined with the Fierce Slash of Death, looks like things are shaping up nicely.

BTW, does anyone know of a place online that has the storylines for the various Samurai Shodown games?

KTallguy
978th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 01:39post reply

quote:
[
1. Graphics = PS2.
I was very wrong on my first impression on Samurai Sen's graphics, my apologies. With Tekken 6 cabinets now out in arcades and running side by side with Samurai Sen, there were clear differences. Samurai Sen looks like it has PS2 quality graphics. The texture is nowhere par to Tekken, the resolution is... surprizingly low. IMO, the graphics looked at a higher resolution during the first beta testing.

Hmm, that's a shame, but at least the animation is at 60fps and nice looking. But overall, doesn't compare to Tekken 6 huh.

The video is nice. Is there any 3d movement at all?

Play to win.

Toxico
4339th Post

"Re(3):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 01:49:post reply

quote:

BTW, does anyone know of a place online that has the storylines for the various Samurai Shodown games?

It isn't really complete, but it will do
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/3705/

Also, our Saiki mate here has a story faq on game faqs for SS wich his fairly accurate; but lacks info on the last 3d game, but if it's anything about that game, fell free to ask.

edit -> forget the site, it has some serious misleading info , but it has some pics here and there. On the other hand, here is the faq
http://www.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/583617/25899

The only evil of the word; is the one in the heart of mens

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 22 Dec 02:03]

D`Cloud
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 01:49:post reply

quote:

1. Graphics = PS2.

not surprising at all. developing for ps3 would be very expesnive. especially if its new which would mean everything starts from scratch. well hopefully snk gets back up there with this release and be able to produce a ps3 quality game.

overall the art direction really looks nice.. ingame 3d needs a bit more filter to it..
im still dissapointed without the blood

http://www.dustinuy.com

[this message was edited by D`Cloud on Sat 22 Dec 01:55]

Time Mage
2620th Post

"Re(2):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 02:06:post reply

quote:
Two new characters were unlocked for this beta test; Rimururu, and a new male fencer named Killian. Judging from his looks and move names, he's Spanish.

Haha, love to see a Spanish character, specially if it has such a great design, in my opinion, but, come on... Killian?

Some day, a Spanish character will have a name that at least looks Spanish. Some day.

BTW, the old guy character looks great, too. and the Elena-esque girl.

Also: Hello, my name is Iņigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

[this message was edited by Time Mage on Sat 22 Dec 03:01]

Ishmael
3020th Post

"Re(3):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 04:51post reply

It's good to hear that SS is back to having wild damage on the heavy attacks. Getting that big, big hit was so very satisfying and really set the series apart from all the other fighters that were out at the time.

Wow, that's some intricate gilding on the life bars.

nobinobita
235th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 06:18post reply

quote:

Hmm, that's a shame, but at least the animation is at 60fps and nice looking.

The animation looks great! It's very sharp and doesn't have that mocap feel to it. They seem to have spent alot of time making sure that the poses and timing for each action are strong and the joints don't ever pop out of place, which happens frequently in most 3d fighters.

IkariDC
693th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 07:42post reply

quote:

Haha, love to see a Spanish character, specially if it has such a great design, in my opinion, but, come on... Killian?

Some day, a Spanish character will have a name that at least looks Spanish. Some day.

BTW, the old guy character looks great, too. and the Elena-esque girl.

Also: Hello, my name is Iņigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die.

Ha ha, great!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 10:28:post reply

quote:

1. Graphics = PS2.

...Didn't I call it? ^^;

But any way, not to rub it in any one's faces, it's just that this was just going right along with what I thought was going to be the case all along. SNK just doesn't have the manpower, money and overall gumption to go with true HD graphics. And why would they need to, when they're still able to stay in the line of PS2/Wii level of graphical quality, and still do well enough?

But in any case, I still think the game looks fine enough. I'm expecting it to at least be able to beat out the likes of VF4 and SC3, when it comes time to think about PS2/Wii ports...

quote:

2. Gameplay feels like SS1
There hasn't been any game system or control changes since the first beta test. However, the damage rate has been massively, MASSIVELY, increased. One feirce slash can literally take away half a life bar or more. Two feirce slashes and the round is over. At the current point, people were playing the game a bit like an SS1 (albeit with combos), poking each other with weak attacks and looking for a chance to slice in a feirce.

When KO'ing an opponent with a feirce slash, the camera zooms into the loser as they slowly fall onto the ground. In the case of Suzuhime, she's not wearing a skirt so the camera shows her underga nevermind.

Excellent.

This was perhaps one of the things that I did not like about the latter SS games, what with them having such a priority on trying to do combos and rush downs.

So, for them to do more to go back to the style of SS1 and SS2 (which makes sense, considering that's what enabled K2/Galapagos Team to make SS as successful as it was), is definitely good to hear.

quote:
Two new characters were unlocked for this beta test; Rimururu, and a new male fencer named Killian. Judging from his looks and move names, he's Spanish. Two more character slots are still to be unlocked.

Nice...I'm still hoping that maybe Shiki and Asura may get those last few slots. Those two need more exposure.

quote:
Nakoruru's got her bird

And with that, it seems that the last few things that I was remotely concerned about last time have been assuaged. I thought it was just going to be a matter of those guys getting time to program the Animal Options in, and lo and behold, we at least got one this time around. Poppy and Konril next time, possibly?

Again...can't wait. I really want to have a reason to fall in love with SS again, just like SS turned me on to SNK years ago.

[this message was edited by TreIII on Sat 22 Dec 10:50]

Iggy
8294th Post

"Re(3):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 18:58post reply

quote:
Poppy and Konril next time, possibly?

Poppy is in. She appears, does her stuff, and teleports away, like the true ninja dog she is.

Professor
2432th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sat 22 Dec 22:15post reply

quote:

Poppy is in. She appears, does her stuff, and teleports away, like the true ninja dog she is.

You mean she poops and runs away?

Same with Nako's bird actually. It's not around the screen at usual times.

TreIII
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):2nd Samurai Spirits Loke Test" , posted Sun 23 Dec 04:52post reply

quote:

You mean she poops and runs away?

Same with Nako's bird actually. It's not around the screen at usual times.

Zat so? Well, that's fine too.

Personally, I'm hoping that they may be able to work in some aspects of Nako and Galford's Rasetsu/BUST movesets into their overall characters. Like for instance, Galford can have some of his own plasma-using maneuvers separate from Poppy, and maybe Nako could summon Shikururu instead of Mamahama. These kinds of things would just do more to flesh out the characters, especially since being 3D would give them the ability to do such a thing, I would think.

Speaking of Galford and Poppy...can I PLEASE get that "Rolling Crash" technique that they once had back in SS3? And shouldn't Galford's other dogs be old enough by now, such that he should be having a small squadron of ninja dogs at his beck and call? ^_^