No More Heroes - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2279 Views )

Zepy
1423th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"No More Heroes" , posted Wed 12 Dec 02:46post reply

Is anyone here playing the game?

I thought it looked like it couldn't go wrong with all the cool stuff in the trailers and gameplay vids, apparently it's not the kind of game for me.

After playing about 30% of the game I found myself forcing myself to play the game in case it gets better, and after 50% I've already given up on finishing the game.

It's not the gameplay that gets to me, I love the gameplay and the story, but it's the parts between these elements that gets me. It just feels like... they made a game that lasts 2 hours, but decided that they had to pad it with all these activities you needed to do so that the game will last 6 times longer.

I keep trying to compare the game with God Hand (which I shouldn't), and I ended up deciding that I should just play God Hand instead.

People seemed to love the game when I checked around english speaking forums, so it's probably just me.

Replies:

Spoon
1456th Post

"Re(1):No More Heroes" , posted Wed 12 Dec 03:44post reply

quote:
Is anyone here playing the game?

I thought it looked like it couldn't go wrong with all the cool stuff in the trailers and gameplay vids, apparently it's not the kind of game for me.

After playing about 30% of the game I found myself forcing myself to play the game in case it gets better, and after 50% I've already given up on finishing the game.

It's not the gameplay that gets to me, I love the gameplay and the story, but it's the parts between these elements that gets me. It just feels like... they made a game that lasts 2 hours, but decided that they had to pad it with all these activities you needed to do so that the game will last 6 times longer.

I keep trying to compare the game with God Hand (which I shouldn't), and I ended up deciding that I should just play God Hand instead.

People seemed to love the game when I checked around english speaking forums, so it's probably just me.

I heard that almost nobody went to buy the game at launch, so members of the press walked into the store to buy copies so that they could have photos of people buying copies.

Which is sad, because I'm looking forward to playing this game.

Pollyanna
2391th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):No More Heroes" , posted Wed 12 Dec 06:12post reply

quote:

This is one of my pet peeves, and what I consider one of the worst things about modern games (like, let's add more empty space between point A and point B so it takes longer to get there!).

Well...I'll see how it goes. I have a US Wii and I haven't bothered modding it yet. Also, I'm kind of focused on Lost Odyssey right now.

As for the sad state of the game's premiere...the game industry in Japan is kind of...screwy now, and I can't help but blame Nintendo.

Grave
968th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):No More Heroes" , posted Wed 12 Dec 08:21post reply

quote:

As for the sad state of the game's premiere...the game industry in Japan is kind of...screwy now, and I can't help but blame Nintendo.

I can't find it in myself to blame Nintendo. I mean, one could say they're "enablers" but all they're doing is selling the titles the market wants. Is it their fault that the Japanese market wants Mario Party DS more than they want Super Mario Galaxy? I'm afraid it isn't.

I don't buy the "Wii is going to kill gaming" argument because I rather like the console despite the many, many shitty games and lack of coherent online strategy. The Wii titles I've enjoyed so far have more than made up for that, and I do think many of them are unique titles that wouldn't have worked out elsewhere. Kororinpa, Elebits, Zack & Wiki and the console Trauma Centers in particular. Not the killer apps most people are looking for, but...

I'm taking this kind of personally because Suda51 is someone I can identify with. Granted, US audiences don't have a whole lot to go in in terms of judging his work besides Killer7, but I really like his attitude and he's definitely not afraid to make something different. I'm a huge Killer7 fan and I'm very psyched about No More Heroes, so I'm upset that this event was so poorly received.

Grave
969th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):No More Heroes" , posted Wed 12 Dec 08:28post reply

quote:
This is one of my pet peeves, and what I consider one of the worst things about modern games (like, let's add more empty space between point A and point B so it takes longer to get there!).

This too. I enjoy games with absolutely no point and gameplay based entirely around meandering. I dig the hell out of Tail of the Sun and Aquanaut's Holiday. I realize I am a minority. However! I really can't stand lulls in games that hinge on the forward movement of the plot. This is why I can't play more than 1 JRPG every 2 years or so. I really wanted to love FF12, the setting and art and music, everything was great, even the gameplay. However, it took so fucking long to do anything that I feel like the vast majority of the 80-90 hours, however long it'd take, was mostly spent walking or doing nothing somehow. It was frustrating. On the opposite side of things, I blew hours a day on Persona 3 (which I have yet to finish, but I'd really love to) because the two parts of the game were excellently structured. There's a limit to how much social interaction you can do per day, and dungeon crawling depends on the status of your characters. It keeps the game moving, and yet I never felt terribly restricted. Just structured enough to make me feel like I wasn't wasting my time.

I know I'm in generally in the minority when I say I prefer 15-20 hour games over longer ones, so long as those hours are very good ones. The "very good ones" is the part that kept me from spending $60 on Heavenly Sword. But really, when RPGs get that long, who has the time to finish them all? I play them until I'm no longer having fun, then I give up.

IkariDC
689th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):No More Heroes" , posted Wed 12 Dec 16:43post reply

I'm all for games lasting "just" 15-20 but "intense" hours. Artificially extended games are just not for me anymore.

I liked Killer7 and I trust Suda51, so I was looking forward to No More Heroes a lot. Can you sum up all those negative things the game suffers from so I can make up my mind?

Also, I'm screwed since the only uncensored version of the game is the american one, it bothers me a lot.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Arngrim
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):No More Heroes" , posted Thu 13 Dec 00:51:post reply

quote:
I'm all for games lasting "just" 15-20 but "intense" hours. Artificially extended games are just not for me anymore.

I liked Killer7 and I trust Suda51, so I was looking forward to No More Heroes a lot. Can you sum up all those negative things the game suffers from so I can make up my mind?

Also, I'm screwed since the only uncensored version of the game is the american one, it bothers me a lot.

I've been lurking everywhere in order to get info about this game. So far, people seem to be bothered by the repetitiveness of the game's mechanics. The grapples seem to be rather useless and there is a general complain about lack of tactics when approaching the enemy (the most effective way is always the 4-hit combo, even for the final bosses).

Also, in my opinion, the censorship is not a big deal, taking into account the over-the-top ridicule violence and that the ashes effect doesn't look that bad.

The story is WIN, and most of the UAA members are incredibly interesenting. Suda51 has already confirmed that this one is more centered on personality issues, rather than political issues like Killer7. And indeed, the characters do not fail to deliver: from the almost anecdotic appearance of #11 Helter Skelter to the random characters from outside the UAA that challenge you, the group of psychos depicted is reason enough to follow the story (at least for me).

It is a pity that there isn't much spotlight for the bosses despite their intro and death scenes. Characters like Dr. Peace, Bad Girl or Holly Summers definetely needed more development.

The whole game is loaded with the blackest humour. I think it is important to keep in mind that the whole plot is A JOKE. Things like the danmaku stage, the Space Invaders references or the game repeteadly breaking the 4th wall keep on reminding you of that. It doesn't have to be taken seriously.

On another note, I like the soundtrack. As far as I know, it's from the Godhand composer. Personally, I didn't enjoy the Godhand soundtrack much, however, in the case of No More Heroes, tracks like 'Pleather for breakfast' (from the fight vs. #2) are very worth mentioning. I am looking forward to the release of the soundtrack on February.

Also, that's rather personal, but I like how at the beginning of each stage, the voice of Travis from Killer7 reads the name of the target while their name and silhouette appear on screen in a somewhat Megaman-esque introduction

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

[this message was edited by Arngrim on Thu 13 Dec 02:26]

Zepy
1424th Post

"Re(4):No More Heroes" , posted Thu 13 Dec 02:45post reply

quote:
Can you sum up all those negative things the game suffers from so I can make up my mind?

The main thing that I cannot stand is that each main "stage" where you progress the story and go through a stage and fight a boss, which can last about 10 minutes in total. After that, you have to start working to make money so you can pay to arrange to fight with the next boss in the rankings.

That involves going to and fro around in a city that is way too big for what little interaction you can actually do. Travelling in the city is like GTA, except you can't interact with most objects, vehicles, or people on the streets.

Basically in the city, the only interaction you have is to get on your bike and ride for a distance to a place to get a part-time job, then ride a distance over to the spot where you have to do the job, then you play a variety of mini-games such as mowing grass, collecting coconuts, or putting up litter on the ground. They pay you a sum of money.

Playing these mini-games then open up new arena-type assassination missions where you play small 2 minute stages where you ride your bike over to a place to get your assassination mission, then you ride over to the target spot, and you fight nameless uninteresting enemys to get some money.

After doing these tasks, you may or may not have enough money to proceed to the next stage, in which case you ride your bike to the ATM, pay the cash, ride your bike back home, use the phone, then ride your bike for a distance to the designated spot to enter the next stage.

So basically I'd think it was an awesome game if it didn't have all that meaningless travelling in town. But the game probably would end in 2 hours if it didn't have that big city to travel in.

And it might just be me, but I don't think blood fits with the game's style actually.

Evenor
614th Post

"Re(5):No More Heroes" , posted Thu 13 Dec 02:58post reply

quote:

And it might just be me, but I don't think blood fits with the game's style actually.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.

I was seriously pissed when they decided to take out the ash and give the USA the dumb splatter stuff.

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Juke Joint Jezebel
3613th Post

"kymg" , posted Thu 13 Dec 04:20post reply

kymg

IkariDC
690th Post

"Re(6):No More Heroes" , posted Thu 13 Dec 04:29post reply

Thank you guys for the input! It looks like I'm going to enjoy the game just for the story, the characters and the kind of details Arngrim mentioned. The 4 hit combo thing and wandering in a huge and lifeless city doesn't sound like it's gonna be fun playing it...

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Arngrim
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):No More Heroes" , posted Thu 13 Dec 17:06post reply

Incidentally, I've even considered to buy a Wii on February, together with No More Heroes by the time it's released in Spain (as I did with the PS2+Killer7). I know that's weird, but I'm crossing my fingers for EU releases of games like the new sidescroller from Vanillaware and Fragile, the new Namco rpg, which certainly have caught my attention.

What I would like to ask now is if the essence of the game remains intact through the game, as it did in Killer7, which, in my opinion, efficiently went in crescendo despite its difficulty to approach, or if it is somewhat diluted in the mini-game and wandering around the city aspects. Actually, I knew very little about the in-between stages activities, and I'm worried about the fact that it wears the interest of the game off.

Do you think that it is a game like to buy a Wii for? Is it as intense as Killer7?

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Is there any hentai of the girls yet?

End of Spoiler

IkariDC
691th Post

"Re(8):No More Heroes" , posted Thu 13 Dec 22:29post reply

quote:
Incidentally, I've even considered to buy a Wii on February, together with No More Heroes by the time it's released in Spain (as I did with the PS2+Killer7). I know that's weird, but I'm crossing my fingers for EU releases of games like the new sidescroller from Vanillaware and Fragile, the new Namco rpg, which certainly have caught my attention.

What I would like to ask now is if the essence of the game remains intact through the game, as it did in Killer7, which, in my opinion, efficiently went in crescendo despite its difficulty to approach, or if it is somewhat diluted in the mini-game and wandering around the city aspects. Actually, I knew very little about the in-between stages activities, and I'm worried about the fact that it wears the interest of the game off.

Do you think that it is a game like to buy a Wii for? Is it as intense as Killer7?

Wow, you bought a PS2 to play Killer7?? Amazing! Killer7 is a very good game, but I don't know if it deserves such a feat! Choosing the PS2 over a GC was a very good move, he he.

IMO I don't think that any console is worth buying just for 1 game. I'll admit that I rushed when I bought the Wii on launch day, and it sucks that there aren't many good games around. I was excited when No More Heroes, Fragile and Oboro Muramasa Youtoden where announced, and I hope that things don't stop with just that. I still don't know if a Wii was a good purchase, so I can't recommend it to anyone yet.

Bottomline is, sorry I don't know!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Makondo99
359th Post

Silver Customer

"K7" , posted Fri 14 Dec 02:05post reply

Besides that intro with Travis from K7, is there any other reference to Killer 7 in No More Heroes?

Descarta

Iggy
8277th Post

"Re(9):No More Heroes" , posted Fri 14 Dec 02:59post reply

quote:
IMO I don't think that any console is worth buying just for 1 game. I'll admit that I rushed when I bought the Wii on launch day, and it sucks that there aren't many good games around.

First you say one game can't make you buy a console by itself (which I thought meant "a console needs to have several good games to interest me"), then you say you bought the Wii even though not a single good game was released ?
I'm intrigued (and since I bought all my consoles for a single game, I'm from the other side)

IkariDC
692th Post

"Re(10):No More Heroes" , posted Fri 14 Dec 07:41post reply

quote:

First you say one game can't make you buy a console by itself (which I thought meant "a console needs to have several good games to interest me"), then you say you bought the Wii even though not a single good game was released ?
I'm intrigued (and since I bought all my consoles for a single game, I'm from the other side)

It was a confession. My friends were into the hype (then again, as loyal fanboys as they are) and I was drawn in, plus being it the first nintendo home system I was going to own added extra kicks, plus I was going to play my first 3D Zelda game with it (picture me giggling like a schoolgirl). I still haven't finished it because I started to feel pain in my wrist and 2 fingers so I stopped.

So, which are the games that made you buy the systems they run on?

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Zepy
1425th Post

"Re(8):No More Heroes" , posted Fri 14 Dec 12:12post reply

quote:

Hmmm, it might be best to see if you can try the game out first before buying a Wii for it.

I can't really give a yes or no in regards to your interest to buy a Wii for the game because some people still enjoy the game. But personally for me, I've already stopped playing the game because the amount of in-between stuff was too much for me.

Pollyanna
2392th Post

"Re(3):No More Heroes" , posted Fri 14 Dec 12:24post reply

quote:
I enjoy games with absolutely no point and gameplay based entirely around meandering. I dig the hell out of Tail of the Sun and Aquanaut's Holiday. I realize I am a minority. However! I really can't stand lulls in games that hinge on the forward movement of the plot.

Personally, I'm not a fan of "meandering games",...but that's okay, because I know to stay away from those from the start. Games with lulls are much worse, because there may be a game I like in there that I have to wade through crap to enjoy. I used to force myself to play mediocre games more, but now I throw them to the curb pretty fast.

But anyway, my comments about blaming Nintendo...well, I do "attribute much of the shift in market to them", but I wouldn't say something like "Nintendo is killing the industry" in anything but jest. I love my DS and I love my Wii, too.

As for a Wii being worth it or not...I really think Mario Galaxy is one of the best games ever made. It's a damn good reason to buy a system. Zelda is...good. Very good, I suppose, but in the end, I think Mario makes it look stupid.

I've enjoyed Mario Strikers as well, and I'm sure that each buyer can find one or two "less than fantastic games" that appeal to them enough to warrant a purchase.

Ah, and keep in mind that I don't generally like Mario OR Zelda games, but my experience with both on the Wii has left me saying "this really isn't my thing, but it's good enough for me not to care."

Maou
1309th Post

"Re(4):No More On-Topic" , posted Fri 14 Dec 12:35:post reply

quote:
Games with lulls are much worse, because there may be a game I like in there that I have to wade through crap to enjoy.
Speaking of which, Polly, I finally finished Tales of the Abyss after your glowing recommendation two years ago! What a stellar final dungeon and boss sequence, after some extra 25 hours of nonsense that shouldn't have been there after the solid first 15 hours! But those last boss tracks were so good that I've managed to forget all the stuff like the awful airship invention sequenece and player-despising, inane backtracking I've repressed memories of I didn't like.

Now I can just remember things in the 25 hours of the game I liked, like where I thought Luke was no longer going to be the lead and the party's accompaning disgust, or Ash's hang-ups (Asch? Asche? アッシュ) and everything about Jade.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 14 Dec 12:46]

Arngrim
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):No More Heroes" , posted Fri 14 Dec 17:47post reply

Actually, I bought the PS2 for Killer7, because I was deeply impressed by it. However, my main target at that time was ICO, which was out of stock in Spain and that drove me crazy. I finally ended buying a second-hand copy at a high price, only to find out that, after a year or so later, it was re-released together with the launch of SotC.

So yeah, it can be assumed that I bought PS2 for one game mainly, but soon after that I modded it and entered in a downloading spree.

In principle, I pretend to repeat my move with the wii. However, besides the above mentioned and the magnific UR MR GAY and 8.8, I can't think of much games from the catalogue to be interested in.

Well, at least that's more that I can think of any other system at the moment (with the exception of the DS, which has an awesome catalogue).