Super Mario Galaxy - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2185 Views )

GekigangerV
1464th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Mon 19 Nov 05:37post reply

I got the game Wednesday and I beat the last boss, but still have 40 something stars left to collect.

This game is great and shows a great blend of the NES Mario games with Mario 64. The basic gameplay mechanics are pretty much all Mario 64, but level design and has specific themes like Mario 3. Except for Bee Mario there doesn't seem to be much use of the other Mario items. Although I haven't played through all the Galaxies; Spring, Fire Flower, Ice Flower and Boo Mario are just done a couple of times. They are all neat none the less, but I would have liked more Fire Flower action.

I have heard complaints that this game is too easy, but I think the real problem is that this game gives you a lot of extra lives. You can get 4 in the central hub alone and its not too hard to collect 50 star bits for more 1-Ups. So even if you die a lot of times you have 10-15 lives left to try. With checkpoints it kind of takes away from the difficulty and whenever there is a particularly hard section Nintendo gives you 1-Up mushrooms early on so deaths cancel out.

I remember reading an article/editorial about how losing a life in games is becoming less and less important, but I can't remember where I saw it. I need to look that up.

The music is great, I wish that the soundtrack was the pre-order bonus instead of the stupid coin.

I would like to see a sequel/spin-off to this on the DS as a lot of stuff like sling pods and pull stars would work well with the touch screen.

Replies:

sfried
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Mon 19 Nov 08:08post reply

quote:
The music is great, I wish that the soundtrack was the pre-order bonus instead of the stupid coin.

Club Nintnendo Japan is giving away the soundtrack to those who are members and a special edition of the soundtrack to those who are premium members.

Pollyanna
2370th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Mon 19 Nov 09:27post reply

I don't even like Mario, and for me, this is undeniably the best game of the year.

Like you said, there's a good blend of new and old, partially because the game is so focused. A lot of times when you have big 3D environments in games, there's a lot of wasted space, but here, everything is necessary and where it needs to be. Also, the use of many small planets gives you more focus in level design...it's immersing, but concise, too.

As for the challenge, I think the "minigame-type" planets offer a bit more challenge than the "main game", but overall what's important is that the game is engaging. Even if it isn't difficult, it gives you a lot to do and a lot to pay attention to. The experience itself is so gratifying that challenge isn't as relevant.

That doesn't sound like me...praising Mario and belittling challenge, but I'm absolutely sold on the atmosphere and focus in level design (which I think is one of the big things games these days are lacking).

Yeah, and the soundtrack is, indeed excellent. I don't know if I'd want to listen to it outside of the game, though.

This really...completely took the sting out of the delay for Smash Bros.

Black_Hayato
202th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Mon 19 Nov 14:03post reply

I think most Mario games besides the first had problems with too many lives. In galaxy your lives resets every time you load your file. Even so its still easy to rack up 15+ after a couple of levels.

Overall awsome game. Its like Mario64+3+wierd physics. The only thing I hate is the swiming levels. I hate the swim control.

Nate
912th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Tue 20 Nov 02:00post reply

Maybe I just suck at platformers, but this game is HARD! I died a lot on some levels, but I never stopped having fun. That's the thing, I never felt penalized for dying constantly. My friend and I kept switching off trying to earn stars and had a lot of fun in the process. I think it's an excellent new addition to the series.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

codeblues
11th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Tue 20 Nov 11:58post reply

Oh I'm enjoying it quite a bit, too.

ktallguy
953th Post

"Re(2):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 21 Nov 00:53post reply

One of the best games I've played all year.

If you haven't tried it already, give the costar mode a whirl. It's awesome helping out your less experienced friends/significant others by shooting enemies with the second remote, or helping them jump back up when they've fallen off a ledge.

Amazing game, through and through.

Play to win.

IkariDC
685th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Tue 27 Nov 16:30post reply

I collected 72 stars, some of the 'get 100 purple stars' levels are really challenging!

Side note to Juan: Dunno if you played the game already, but there are some wonderful penguins for you to check out! Later in the game you can even race against some of them.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Kikkoken
1142th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Tue 27 Nov 20:13post reply

This game is enchanting and feels really natural to play. I agree with all you said above, that's a real gem.

Just a Person
1019th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 28 Nov 03:41post reply

I read somewhere that this is one of the best reviewed games from every generation of consoles, but I haven't played it yet. But reading your comments... wow, is it THAT good??

It seems that Wii is finally getting some really good games, with Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, RE:Umbrella Chronicles, and with SSB:Brawl coming next year. Keep'em coming, Nintendo (and third-parties)!

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

exodus
4038th Post

"Re(6):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 28 Nov 04:14post reply

I played it for about a half hour and got terminally bored. hooray!

KTallguy
956th Post

"Re(7):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 28 Nov 04:25post reply

quote:
I played it for about a half hour and got terminally bored. hooray!

The beginning is super slow. Once you get past the first 2 or so stages, you'll unlock a nice, hard, old school platforming stage with remixed Mario 3 music.

You will want to play that stage.

Play to win.

exodus
4039th Post

"Re(8):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 28 Nov 05:10post reply

quote:

The beginning is super slow. Once you get past the first 2 or so stages, you'll unlock a nice, hard, old school platforming stage with remixed Mario 3 music.

You will want to play that stage.

I guess...I just don't have time to play games that aren't great right away!

Spoon
1452th Post

"Re(9):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 28 Nov 06:13post reply

quote:

He uses this to excuse himself from playing any kind of game at all.

Pollyanna
2378th Post

"Re(10):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 28 Nov 08:19post reply

I dunno if I would say "it gets better later" if you find the game immediately boring. I mean, there certainly are some exciting levels later, but on the whole, I think the game maintains the same "tone".

I think Brandon is too cool for anything but "indie" games now.

exodus
4042th Post

"Re(10):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Wed 28 Nov 10:27post reply

quote:

He uses this to excuse himself from playing any kind of game at all.

...that I don't like right away :P
I'm guessing I'm not gonna get too excited about it later either, since I've not really liked a mario too much since 3... just not my thing I guess?

I'm not too cool for normal games, and in fact I thought call of duty 4 was great! bioshock too. look at me, mister standard man!

oh speaking of which, do we have an XBL gamertag thread here somewhere? should we make a new one?

KTallguy
961th Post

"Re(9):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Fri 30 Nov 14:22:post reply

quote:

Trust me on this one, you're going to want to play Mario Galaxy.

After I beat Uncharted I simply cannot put it down.

It gets more and more amazing as you continue. Every Galaxy you're doing something different, and it's pure fun 99% of the time.

Give it another shot. Sure, I wish it was in HD and whatever, but man, the game design is so ... well done (I want to say しっかり), it's a breath of fresh air.

I'm willing to call it the best Mario game of all time, and certainly the best platformer I've played in years.

Also, Crisis Core is the best new (non-remake) RPG I've played in some time.

Play to win.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Fri 30 Nov 14:24]

Maou
1297th Post

"Re(10):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Sat 1 Dec 08:35post reply

quote:
Also, Crisis Core is the best new (non-remake) RPG I've played in some time.

Uh oh, this may play right into Brandon's plan not to play Galaxy. Or maybe it says something about the Japanese RPG industry today?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Pollyanna
2380th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Sat 1 Dec 09:22post reply

quote:
Or maybe it says something about the Japanese RPG industry today?

Or maybe it says something about what RPGs he's been playing! (or how long "quite some time" is?)

To me, the industry is about where it's always been with one or two outstanding titles a year and one or two titles that people will try and tell you are outstanding, but are just above average.

I've heard nothing but good things about Crisis Core, though. I...can't bring myself to play it, though.

Maou
1299th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Super Mario Galaxy" , posted Sat 1 Dec 10:06post reply

quote:
I've heard nothing but good things about Crisis Core, though. I...can't bring myself to play it, though.
Wasn't it directed by the guy who did...uh...Final Fantasy X-2 and who(god help us) will direct FF XIII? If that's true, that's all I need to know.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...