Catalyst and SF III - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1791 Views )

Maou
1280th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"How to SF III" , posted Sun 28 Oct 00:36:post reply

Now that all that nasty SFIV news is out of the system, I'm really excited about the SF III guide that Brandon posted. For all the talk of SF IV, I never really got 3rd Strike, and I kind of feel like going back to it now. Friends and I have played Zero 3 for years and we can plainly see that 3S is amazing and gorgeous, but I only got a copy two years ago and we just couldn't figure out how to make it work since there weren't many other players, which sadly has led to its extreme neglect.

How do other folks feel about the technical intensity of III after playing Zero 3?

edit: woah, mistaken identity, what intrigue! Sorry, Catalyst!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 28 Oct 01:26]

Replies:

Catalyst
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Not me and SF III (hey! I made a rhyme!)" , posted Sun 28 Oct 01:10:post reply

quote:
Now that all that nasty SFIV news is out of the system, I'm really excited about Catalyst's SF III guide that Brandon posted (surprised you didn't mention it in the two SF threads, Catalyst). For all the talk of SF IV, I never really got 3rd Strike, and I kind of feel like going back to it now. Friends and I have played Zero 3 for years and we can plainly see that 3S is amazing and gorgeous, but I only got a copy two years ago and we just couldn't figure out how to make it work since there weren't many other players, which sadly has led to its extreme neglect.

How do other folks feel about the technical intensity of III after playing Zero 3?

I'd like to take credit but no this is not me at all a completely different person did this, I found a video actually on this a while back on youtube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7KQJonJ6XoQ

exactly what Thongboy bebop made which is really great. For me personally this made it so much more easier to learn SF 3 with examples since I got thrown off by technical jargon.

In accordance to that negative edge bit that was mentioned in the video and on the webpage: this made videos that are made by the tourney players such as Urien's techniques alot more sense. There should be a couple of setups with Urien which is pretty nice that puts pressure on the opponent using his aegis reflector but it involves using negative edge. It was price nice setup that involves attacking from both ends of the opponent. I'll be sure to post it up once I find it.

As for Zero 3, I never got to play it much and when I did I was pretty horrible at it. I don't know why I feel more comfortable in SF 3 though. Wierd.

Sorry not me at all though, credit where credit is due.

edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4fjUSTuHg

Here we go the combo starts from the 21 second mark, 1:08 mark, and so forth. To my understanding from what a friend told me you should be using negative edging to pull off that combo with two of the moves. We were first kind of thought "wow!" that must be really tough to pull off. Enjoy.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Sun 28 Oct 01:32]

Maou
1280th Post

"Re(1):Not me and SF III (hey! I made a rhyme!" , posted Sun 28 Oct 01:31post reply

Heheh, good man. Funny, I was just the opposite on SF III. Played Zero 2 and 3 for years and years, but when I finally got Third Strike, it was baffling if beautiful. Negative edge and cancelling were nothing new, but the piano key method is a fun idea. I think it was III's cancelling and new characters that just mystified us...clearly I'd heard Yun and Makoto were pretty excellent, but we couldn't make any sense of them and always just reverted to Ryu and Ken, which was kind of sad (and probably the reason they originally kept old SF charas out of the game). The SNK-style (?) dashing, the half and double jumps, the parry cancels, the less forgiving cancelling...it all never came together for me somehow, even though it's surely excellent.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

exodus
4027th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Not me and SF III (hey! I made a rhyme!" , posted Sun 28 Oct 02:59post reply

quote:

I'd like to take credit but no this is not me at all a completely different person did this, I found a video actually on this a while back on youtube

damn, I figured it was you, but I guess you would've mentioned it in your email if it was.

Do other folks find this guide useful? It seems like it'll take me a little while to learn this stuff...I'm too straightforward :\

Catalyst
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Not me and SF III (hey! I made a rhyme!" , posted Sun 28 Oct 03:10post reply

I agree it is useful, i'd refer to the videos though just for sake of seeing it in action while it is being explained through text. Lots of basics for fighting games are a bit hard for new people to understand due to it being "common" knowledge per say. It is nice people go out of there way to let stuff like this be known so new comers wouldn't have to be shifting in and out of FAQ's of multiple characters when they don't even know stuff like this.

Sorry again for the printing error on your website exodus and all the mishap.

This song is so true

Spoon
1440th Post

"Re(2):Not me and SF III (hey! I made a rhyme!" , posted Sun 28 Oct 03:20post reply

quote:
but the piano key method is a fun idea.

The piano technique is actually usable in any game where a range of buttons will trigger the same action. This has some fun consequences in some games, say, CvS2:

C-groove as 3 level super, which button you press determines which super you get (except for lvl3-only supers). So if you have a level 3 super bar and want to do a level 3 VERSION of a super, it's best NOT to piano, because you might accidentally get the level 1 version!

On the other hand, ALL OTHER GROOVES do not have multi level supers! So they can ALWAYS piano for increased security on the super activation!

3S has quite a diverse cast, so make sure you try them out! If you're familiar with 2D fighting game principles, you should really give Alex a shot, because you can do quite a lot with him without needing the level of execution and knowledge of combos/strings/mixups that you'd need for, say, Yun. Nevermind the fact that Alex is listed as low tier; he has something that takes advantage of every part of the game system, and he's extremely effective at lower levels of play (e.g. no competitive level Chuns).