Original message (10887 Views )

Iggy
8200th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 04:32post reply

Official Site

Trailer

We won't know anything of this game before long, but chances are it will be released before KOF XII.
Let's rejoice !
And be anti-Americans like good French people / Wapaneses / French Wapaneses.

Replies:

Evenor
605th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 04:38post reply

quote:
Official Site

Trailer

We won't know anything of this game before long, but chances are it will be released before KOF XII.
Let's rejoice !

I HERD A RUMOR TAHT RYU"S DAUGHTER IS GOING TO BE THE NEW HERO XD !!1!

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Iggy
8202th Post

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 04:41:post reply

Let's also note the game was announced in a London event, not in Japan.

quote:
If Capcom of America is taking care of it, in which case, it might not be a bad guess that it's either going to stink or be done by people who have nothing to do with the series.

Also, not a single person who has worked on any game of the series still works at Capcom JPN, so I guess we can't really dismiss Capcom USA because of this.
There is plenty of more obvious details to point and laugh at (or dispair).

EVENOR : YOU'RE GROUNDED.

Nobi from the future : Sorry, I forgot the if. We don't know who does the game ; odds are it's Capcom US with some retarded Udon artist, but for all we know, Funamizu can totally have been hired back along with Akiman and Nishimura.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Thu 18 Oct 04:56]

nobinobita
174th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 04:48post reply

quote:

Capcom of America is taking care of it

Wait what??? Are you 100% sure Capcom USA is taking care of this? Dammit, I thought that logo looked funny and a bit ... off.

Well, I hope they send Ikeno and Akiman and Bengus and Kinu over to the states to make sure this game at least looks good.

whitesword
1604th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 04:58post reply

quote:

Capcom of America is taking care of it

Wait what??? Are you 100% sure Capcom USA is taking care of this? Dammit, I thought that logo looked funny and a bit ... off.

He's just quoting someone from the other thread

Iggy: stop confusing people with cross-thread quotation

Iggy
8203th Post

"Re(4):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 05:05:post reply

quote:

Hey ! I apologized !

THIS IS ALL POLLYANNA'S FAULT !

Also, someone thinks Akiman is doing the character design of the video, and he has this to back it up.

Speculations !

[this message was edited by Iggy on Thu 18 Oct 05:08]

GekigangerV
1439th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 05:40:post reply

quote:

Hey ! I apologized !

THIS IS ALL POLLYANNA'S FAULT !

Also, someone thinks Akiman is doing the character design of the video, and he has this to back it up.

Speculations !

I noticed that weird logo on the gloves as well.

Its a shame they aren't trying to age the characters like how they aged from 1 to 2 to 3. I think Ken and Ryu are both in their 40's now so I wish they showed that time has passed since SFIII. Unless this teaser trailer is just there to show Ken and Ryu so people could recognize them.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 18 Oct 05:41]

Just a Person
1000th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 05:48post reply

quote:
Official Site

Trailer

Damn... is this... is this for real?? I mean, after years and years with no new SF, just the old ones being rehashed to death, Capcom is finally making SF IV??

Wow, that's amazing!! The trailer isn't bad (although it isn't good, either); I don't really like the idea of Capcom of America making the game, but hey, it's better than nothing. And who knows, maybe CoA can surprise us all positively...

quote:

Then again, which game isn't being released before KOF XII?? How long does it take to just releasing some artworks and information about the game??

-----

Oh, and off-topic, but after seven years inside this board, I finally reached my 1000th post!! YAY!!

Too bad that the habit of making brand-new topics just to announce this achievement is dead now...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Time Mage
2596th Post

"Re(5):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 05:50post reply

quote:
Pollyanna, in the other thread, said:
Also, it might not be a bad guess that Capcom of America is taking care of it, in which case, it might not be a bad guess that it's either going to stink or be done by people who have nothing to do with the series.

And I say: Recap, get out of her body, NOW!

Now seriously, right now, I'm all hype and excitement. We'll have time to be pessimistic, complain about designs, music, and whatever, but right now, I exercise my right to be mightly hyped.

And about that comparison above... I really don't know if Akiman is doing the designs (although it would be AWESOME), but I like them so far. I'd prefer the 3D to be relegated to the intro, but if it's made this way, I can tolerate it.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Ktallguy
949th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:05post reply

I said it in the other thread, but please god, let this be a Japanese developed game.

Play to win.

nobinobita
175th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:20post reply

quote:

And about that comparison above... I really don't know if Akiman is doing the designs (although it would be AWESOME), but I like them so far. I'd prefer the 3D to be relegated to the intro, but if it's made this way, I can tolerate it.

Hmmmm I just realised that I sound way too sour in my last post. I guess I got all the screaming and jumping and crying with excitement outta the way after I saw that trailer.

But then time passed and reality sunk in and I realised that I'm not terribly impressed by anything so far.

Am i just getting as old and jaded as everyone else on the internet??

Anyway, the 3-d in the trailer still looks pretty nice though. The ink effect, although gimmicky and it has nothing to do with street fighter, is still neat looking.

And i really like how it's Akiman's Ryu vs Ikeno's Ken. I like the conscious nod to make it look like the character art.

I just hope those guys are actually back on the project.

Also, Ken and Ryu MIGHT be aged. If you look at the original Akiman drawing, Ryu does look like he could be entering his 40s. Though... how old is he now? He has the same birthdate as Akiman right? So that would make him ... 43 now, 44 by the time the game is out.

Anyway, you know what? I'm still excited. It's Street Fighter 4. It's being made. I'm happy.

Also, that DBZ sound on the fireball was cool.

Juan
4431th Post

"PELEADOR CALLEJERO CUATRO" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:34post reply

quote:
I'd prefer the 3D to be relegated to the intro, but if it's made this way, I can tolerate it.

I agree. Actually it would be interesting if the in-game graphics were somewhat stylized, like the intro.

At any rate, seeing the title street fighter 4 is really weird. The world will probably end tomorrow via zombie infestation.

think well your answer

Burning Ranger
1524th Post

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:34post reply

quote:
Official Site

Trailer

Let's rejoice !

So is this "Megaton Announcement #2"? I thought there was supposed to be one every day this week (with Bionic Commando on Monday). Did I miss Tuesday's?

Did I see Ken do a Power Wave?

You know, I would like to see an American team make SF4. I mean, come on, production/design talent has to be a lot better than it has in the past. Also, I think there's more respect for the series and genre by producters/designers than in the past.

Let's just hope the game stays true to its 2D roots.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Iggy
8203th Post

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:43post reply

quote:
So is this "Megaton Announcement #2"? I thought there was supposed to be one every day this week (with Bionic Commando on Monday). Did I miss Tuesday's?

It's not a day-by-day megaton, but you might have missed Lost Planet on PS3 and other boring stuff.

quote:
You know, I would like to see an American team make SF4. I mean, come on, production/design talent has to be a lot better than it has in the past.

Maybe, but seriously : does a company who failed so hard it made Final Fight Revenge deserves a second chance? And at any rate, after such a terrible failure, does it deserve to continue one of the major franchise in all videogame history ?

EddyT
595th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:46post reply

After hearing about this, I completely fragged my pants.

Let's hope Capcom puts their best foot forward on this game.

Juan
4432th Post

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:46post reply

quote:
but seriously : does a company who failed so hard it made Final Fight Revenge deserves a second chance? And at any rate, after such a terrible failure, does it deserve to continue one of the major franchise in all videogame history ?

DEAR IGGY,

IN REGARDS T

think well your answer

Just a Person
1001th Post

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:51post reply

quote:

Also, Ken and Ryu MIGHT be aged. If you look at the original Akiman drawing, Ryu does look like he could be entering his 40s. Though... how old is he now? He has the same birthdate as Akiman right? So that would make him ... 43 now, 44 by the time the game is out.

That's right. Plus, we don't know how many years passed from SFIII to SFIV. I mean, the GAME's chronology doesn't need to be the same one as our REAL chronology...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Count Hihihi
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 06:58post reply

I have two reasons to believe that this is being handled by an american team. First of all, as someone here pointed out, in the video Ryu looks just like in an age old illustration by Akiman. I SOMEHOW get this feeling that by copying existing artwork the people behind this might just be those untalented bunch of.. ok I won't finish that sentence.

And the other reason is that at capcom-unity.com they are asking people for ideas they would like to see in the game. I doubt a japanese team with a vision would take this route. Capcom USA is doing exactly what the american fans are asking for.

Prepare for a bunch of fanservice..

Ktallguy
950th Post

"Re(5):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 07:17post reply

quote:
I have two reasons to believe that this is being handled by an american team. First of all, as someone here pointed out, in the video Ryu looks just like in an age old illustration by Akiman. I SOMEHOW get this feeling that by copying existing artwork the people behind this might just be those untalented bunch of.. ok I won't finish that sentence.

And the other reason is that at capcom-unity.com they are asking people for ideas they would like to see in the game. I doubt a japanese team with a vision would take this route. Capcom USA is doing exactly what the american fans are asking for.

Prepare for a bunch of fanservice..

Don't make me cry.

Play to win.

nobinobita
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 07:45post reply

quote:
I SOMEHOW get this feeling that by copying existing artwork the people behind this might just be those untalented bunch of.. ok I won't finish that sentence.

Even if it's a US team, i think it's a good thing to stick with the style of the character designer. This is what every art team should be doing in the first place. One of the reasons I like Japanese game graphics is that they are able to pick out the style of one artist and stick with it, even when translating to 3-d.

That's why Berserk for ps2 looks amazing, cos it matches the comic art so well, whereas all the recent EA Marvel Games look really boring to me cos they don't look anything like any good Marvel Comics Art, they're just done in a generic videogame style.

Gojira
2237th Post

"Re(6):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 07:51post reply

Somehow I knew this would happen. And I don't mean the SF4 announcement, I mean the fact that I'm not the least bit hyped by any of this.

Pollyanna
2356th Post

"Re(6):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 07:54post reply

Here's a fun thought.

If Street Fighter is 2D, and Street Fighter EX is 3D, and this game is 3D, then isn't it REALLY SFEX4 and not SF4? And if it WAS SFEX4, would anyone care?

Just a Person
1002th Post

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:03post reply

quote:
Here's a fun thought.

If Street Fighter is 2D, and Street Fighter EX is 3D, and this game is 3D, then isn't it REALLY SFEX4 and not SF4? And if it WAS SFEX4, would anyone care?

Uh... not exactly, I guess. In order to be SFEX4, it would not only need to be 3D, but also produced by Arika...

Spoon
1430th Post

"Re(8):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:07post reply

quote:
Here's a fun thought.

Uh... not exactly, I guess. In order to be SFEX4, it would not only need to be 3D, but also produced by Arika...

What if they made a 2D SF (perhaps for portable console) and named it SFEX4, while the 3D SF got named SF4?

WHAT THEN?!

Ikari Loona
217th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:09post reply

Tiamat better get some rest, he'll be busy for another couple of years over this piece.

Logo feels odd, the battle felt a bit cliche, but that brushstroke/wind thing as Ken kicked looked cool, had something of a stephen chow/wuxia feel to it - could turn into something interesting even in 2D, which is pretty much the way of the future if Capcom doesn't want to sell this only to people who played SF2 back in the day.

I bet Dave Sirlin won't miss the opportunity to nitpick at every gameplay aspect he's made aware of if he can - still, so far his site only mentioned SSF2T HD:
http://sirlin.net/

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Freeter
4404th Post

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:10post reply

quote:
What if they made a 2D SF (perhaps for portable console) and named it SFEX4, while the 3D SF got named SF4?

WHAT THEN?!

Then they would make a 2.5D SF and name it SFA4

Toxico
4301th Post

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:10post reply

quote:
Here's a fun thought.

Can we kill him/her/it now, Iggy?

The only evil of the word is the one in the hearth of mens

Count Hihihi
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:16post reply

quote:
Here's a fun thought.

People would care, because if they called it SFEX4 no one would expect much, would not be afraid of dissappointment, and would just whine about Capcom not releasing SF4.

Also, Just A Person, Arika developed the EX games, and Capcom produced them. But you also missed her point.

But here is something even funnier:
It looks like the people that buy the action figures, comics, etc crap are pretty much the only ones hyped about SF4. Says something.

Just a Person
1003th Post

"Re(8):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:21post reply

quote:
Also, Just A Person, Arika developed the EX games, and Capcom produced them. But you also missed her point.

Oh, I see. But still, Capcom wasn't fully involved into it; it's not like they put in the EX series the same effort as, say, the Alpha series. Let alone the SFIII trilogy.

quote:
It looks like the people that buy the action figures, comics, etc crap are pretty much the only ones hyped about SF4. Says something.

I wouldn't say that. At least here in Brazil, this announcement was made even at news websites that have nothing to do with videogames... And many people are commenting on it.

nobinobita
177th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:52post reply

quote:

I wouldn't say that. At least here in Brazil, this announcement was made even at news websites that have nothing to do with videogames... And many people are commenting on it.

Wow really? Brazil sounds even cooler than I already thought it was. Do you have any links? Is Street Fighter still that well known in Brazil? Cos, I can see the Nintendo Wii being a point of interest for non gaming news sites, but I wasn't sure if Street Fighter had become THAT iconic (like Mario and Pacman).

That's very cool if it is.

Gojira
2238th Post

"Re(8):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 08:55post reply

quote:

I buy the comics though and I still don't care. I don't even care if it turns out to be done in Japan.

shin ramberk
313th Post

Bronze Customer

"Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 09:06post reply

My biggest worry is that this is simply a 3D game with cell shading and a heavily stylized appearance. The reason we all love SF and KOF is because its 2D. Its because we count animation frames and all that junk. So, I dearly hope its not a 3D game because... there's no point in that.

I'm not as worried about this being an American developed game because it seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the ST HD game is getting worked on by US SF pros. That is, its getting worked on by people who know how an SF game engine works. So I'm guessing those same people are working on this game. But yes, I would have preferred the proper Japanese development group. This is the third best option. The second best option is for this game to be developed by pro Japanese players of course.

I'm gonna be optimistic here... At the very least, if Capcom USA is serious, they WILL release 4 to 5 revisions of the game so that by 2009 we get a good game. (I'm serious about that, the first version of any Capcom (Japan or USA) SF game usually sucks. Super Turbo is the fourth revision of SF2 afterall. Street Fighter 3 took two revisions and its still broken.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Evenor
606th Post

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 09:37post reply

quote:
Here's a fun thought.

YES.

I always loved those ugly designs that infested those EX games. I still would like to see 2D incarnation of characters no one gave a chance ( basically just Pullum )

FIRST PREDICTION OF SF4 : Everyone and their mother will play as Ken.

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Zepy
1415th Post

"Re(1):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 09:46post reply

Will they have a second megaton announcement saying that the game will be made by Arc System Works?

Pollyanna
2357th Post

"Re(2):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 09:56post reply

quote:
Will they have a second megaton announcement saying that the game will be made by Arc System Works?

Hahaha...between Arcsys and CoA, that's like a nightmare for Iggy.

I admit I have a bit of a grudge against CoA...or rather, I don't have any faith in them. Still, I'm mostly playing Devil's Advocate on the negativity.

Spoon
1431th Post

"Re(3):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:17post reply

quote:

I admit I have a bit of a grudge against CoA...or rather, I don't have any faith in them.

Now that I think about it, I don't exactly what CoA has developed... I don't even think Final Fight Streetwise was made by "CoA", it was made by some studio funded by CoA that shut down like a year or two ago.

So what have they made recently?
If nothing, then who are the getting to actually do the development work?
Or have they actually been quietly working on this the entire time...

nobinobita
178th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:23post reply

Hey, just for kicks lets post what our dream version of SF4 would be. Here's mine:

Noritaka Funamizu and Team Dirty Beret will rise from the dead and whisk off all true SF believers to heaven where we'll get to play Street Fighter 4 in hi Res 1080i 2d. All the original artists will return to do designs, rough animation will be done by Norio Matsumoto and Ikeno, Akiman, Bengus and Kinu will do ink and cleanup, with final rendering and coloring by ArmaEater and backgrounds by Imperial Boy. Alternate Character colors and overall color keys will be done by Okama.

The soundtrack will be a collab between the Nunjabes and Jazztronic .

The game will be fun and balanced and accessible for beginners but deep enough for tournament play. It will have some new mechanic that will be the next major innovation to fighting games since parrying.

It will run with zero lag online and revive 2-d gaming and fighting games and end world hunger and war and cancer.

Variable Savior
402th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:24:post reply

quote:

Here's a fun thought.

Hey, didn't this already happen with KoF 2006?

Hmm.. and no one cared about that.
NOT a good sign.....

quote:
It will run with zero lag online and revive 2-d gaming and fighting games and end world hunger and war and cancer.

Can it make me a sandwich??

Blood marks heaven's path

[this message was edited by Variable Savior on Thu 18 Oct 10:25]

Maou
1269th Post

"Re(4):Cautiously pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:27:post reply

瞬獄殺

Wow, Street Fighter 4 is totally the new Contra 4.

Which is totally the new Sonic Heroes, which was totally the new Dracula/Castlevania 64. In a manner of speaking.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 18 Oct 10:27]

Count Hihihi
60th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:32post reply

quote:

Now that I think about it, I don't exactly what CoA has developed... I don't even think Final Fight Streetwise was made by "CoA", it was made by some studio funded by CoA that shut down like a year or two ago.

Secret Level is working on the new Golden Axe game.

nobinobita
179th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Cautiously pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:41post reply

quote:
瞬獄殺

Wow, Street Fighter 4 is totally the new Contra 4.

Which is totally the new Sonic Heroes, which was totally the new Dracula/Castlevania 64. In a manner of speaking.

Then i guess that makes Street Fighter HD the new Castlevania Resurrection.

celebrityfest
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:46post reply

Any ideas on who could be returning?

Mine is bison, sagat, chunli(cant leave her out)yun,yang,sean,alex,oro(ryu's ending) Gouki(of course)guile.

anyone else?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/celebrityfest/issue1cover.jpg [Image Attached]

Count Hihihi
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 10:52post reply

quote:

Mine is bison, sagat, chunli(cant leave her out)yun,yang,sean,alex,oro(ryu's ending) Gouki(of course)guile.

anyone else?

My list: scrubs, fanbois and..

codeblues
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 11:55post reply

quote:

I buy the comics though and I still don't care. I don't even care if it turns out to be done in Japan.

I don't buy comics and I care. Just cause it's something to possibly look forward to.

nobinobita
180th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 12:03post reply

quote:

Can it make me a sandwich??

Yes. Because you are part of the world and hungry. It'll be a TOASTED sandwich too.

TreIII
38th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Cautiously Optimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 12:13post reply

Interesting. However, I'll reserve my opinion until they a) shed some light on the gameplay, or b) tell us who's going to be making this title. It's going to take a bit more than a CG trailer to get me hyped...that's how Final Fight: Revenge for Saturn set me up for being royally let down.

But, I'll try and be more optimistic. After all, it IS Street Fighter 4. I just hope, for this game's sake, they do more to try and do more of a "grass-roots" type of thing that just focuses on getting at least a number of things correct, rather than try and go off the wall with adding needless enhancements. The reason why the likes of SSF2-Turbo, SFA2, SFA3-Upper and 3S are still played to this day, is because they're solid games in their own right (for the most part).

They try and tinker with the basic gameplay too much, and I don't think the people will be pleased. And for it to probably be a game that will use 3D polygons instead of 2D sprites, SF4 already has an uphill battle ahead of it. It's going to be interesting, seeing if they can try and pull of the same tight gameplay the series is known for in 3D as it did in 2D....the EX series tried, but no, it wasn't quite up to par...

Oh, and I'm sure this game will probably be a cross-console release across the three consoles, and maybe even the PC too. Street Fighter has a legacy of being whored out across practically EVERY platform known to man back in the day, and I don't expect it to be any different today either. Capcom loves money.

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

GekigangerV
1440th Post

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 12:31:post reply

quote:

anyone else?

I hope they are conservative on who they bring back. Outside of Ken, Ryu, Akuma and Chun-Li I hope no more than 6 people return from previous games. 6 is a lot considering the starting line up of the original SF2 and SF Alpha were 8 and 13 respectively.

However, I know the majority of people are always asking "Where was Guile/Sagat/Blanka/etc. in SFIII", but people didn't realize that their stories were pretty much settled by the end of SF2.

Guile was able to go back to his family, Sagat wasn't as ambitious about revenge, Blanka found his mom, etc.

I would rather see new characters with different fighting styles that give rise to new gameplay opportunities. We need a real MMA fighter. Alex had some MMA influence in his design, but he was mostly pro-wrestling. The boxer in this game should be a smaller weight class who is about "punches in bunches" like Manny Pacquiao.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 18 Oct 12:33]

Red Falcon
5966th Post

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 13:11post reply

quote:

Also, not a single person who has worked on any game of the series still works at Capcom JPN, so I guess we can't really dismiss Capcom USA because of this.
There is plenty of more obvious details to point and laugh at (or dispair).

Yes, I'm certainly not going to get my hopes up to an unrealistic height until the game is actually out. It's either going to be contracted out or made by people with no experience. Also, didn't they say that if they ever made another SF game, it would be 3D some time ago?

Best site EVER:Link Here

Maese Spt
389th Post

Silver Customer

"Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 13:45:post reply

Ugh. I didn't see that coming...

The only thing I've liked so far are those ink blotchs, which remind me of Ookami for some reason.

Other than that, the trailer looks ugly as hell, and the whole thing reeks of Capcom USA, much to my distress. Love is over, it seems.

EDIT: didn't they announce yesterday some new Phoenix Wright or something, too?

マツケン サンバ!!!!

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Thu 18 Oct 13:51]

Pollyanna
2358th Post

"Re(1):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 13:57post reply

quote:
Ugh. I didn't see that coming...

The only thing I've liked so far are those ink blotchs, which remind me of Ookami for some reason.

Other than that, the trailer looks ugly as hell, and the whole thing reeks of Capcom USA, much to my distress. Love is over, it seems.

I can't believe I'm hearing this from a Maximum Impact fan! What's the difference?

Also, in reference to what I said earlier... I can't say I dislike "CoA as a developer", I've just had a long run of not liking them in general. It's dwindling now, but they used to find SOMETHING to fuck up in every localization they did. For the longest time, I would only import their games.

Red Falcon
5967th Post

"Re(2):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 14:30post reply

quote:

Also, in reference to what I said earlier... I can't say I dislike "CoA as a developer", I've just had a long run of not liking them in general. It's dwindling now, but they used to find SOMETHING to fuck up in every localization they did. For the longest time, I would only import their games.

I don't trust them with fighters... Final Fight Revenge.

IkariDC
672th Post

"Re(1):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 15:50post reply

I say, if they don't bring back the people from previous SF games (the team is not japanese) and it's an HD 2D game, we're doomed!

They're asking what do we want to see in the game? That's just the path they followed to come up with fucking Shadow The Hedgehog!

quote:

EDIT: didn't they announce yesterday some new Phoenix Wright or something, too?

That's the english version of Gyakuten Saiban 4 for DS.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

D`Cloud
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 16:05:post reply

what was the last US made fighting game that rocked?

based on the trailer.. it really feels like US made. (gimmicky with Ryu & ken on a grass field?)talk about cliche. the effects looks nice though

EDIT: just found out the cg was made by http://www.ppi.co.jp/ polygon pictures... can anybody confirm?

http://www.dustinuy.com

[this message was edited by D`Cloud on Thu 18 Oct 16:51]

D`Cloud
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 16:48:post reply

double post. crap!

http://www.dustinuy.com

[this message was edited by D`Cloud on Thu 18 Oct 16:52]

Digitalboy
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 17:02post reply

Normally I would be excited about a new SF. I am too mixed about this game that I can not type. <SIGH>
quote:
double post. crap!

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

NARUTO
3585th Post

"Re(6):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 17:27post reply

IMO until I have the proof that at least 55% of the dev team is japanese, I won't be that interested.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Pollyanna
2359th Post

"Re(7):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 18:16post reply

quote:
IMO until I have the proof that at least 55% of the dev team is japanese, I won't be that interested.

Wow, that's extreme even for me. I mean, I'd like Kinu and/or Akiman on the job, and like...maybe a few people who have actually made fighting games before...and...erm...I guess someone to do music. If Americans can handle the rest, then that's great.

But...yeah, everyone keeps saying "what was the last good American fighting game you played?", and I think that's a good point. SF4 is a big deal, it has a reputation to live up to and it's just not reasonable to think that people who have never worked on the genre before could deliver that.

Professor
2411th Post

MMCafe Owner

"What are the chances it could actually be 2D?" , posted Thu 18 Oct 18:58:post reply

Considering how good the US market has been for Capcom, I'm being optimistic that they've up'ed their budget for the American development projects. (CoA's previous games seemed pretty low budget, really.)

I wonder how well Capcom can make a SF4 though. Looking very forward to it.. I hope they hire Funamizu back.

My personal prediction is that it'll play in 2D with 3D graphics. Even if it was developed in Japan, they don't really have pixel artists any more, which was one of the main reasons behind the quality of Capcom Fighting Evolution. Of course pixel artists aren't extinct; they're still very active in the DS and Cell phone field. But as the sample artworks from the HD Super Turbo kind of made it obvious, you really need experience and anatomy knowledge if you want to make correct looking 2D human figures.

Finding 2D pixel artists are really hard nowadays. Remember, SNKP is STILL recruiting part-time dotters for KOFXII's development at their official site.

Well, then again, maybe we'll end up seeing SF4 as a full 2D game. Capcom USA could always take a similar development format to the HD' Super Turbo in making one, now that they've got the experience.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 18 Oct 19:27]

Time Mage
2597th Post

"Re(1):What are the chances it could actually" , posted Thu 18 Oct 19:57post reply

quote:
I wonder how well Capcom can make a SF4 though. Looking very forward to it.. I hope they hire Funamizu back.

While realistically not very possible, I'd love to see Funamizu back. And, after all... Craft & Meister hasn't done anything after Chou DBZ, right? Yeah, I know, pure speculation based on hopes, like the Akiman one, but still...

Gojira
2239th Post

"Re(4):Openly pessimistic" , posted Thu 18 Oct 20:12post reply

quote:

EDIT: just found out the cg was made by http://www.ppi.co.jp/ polygon pictures... can anybody confirm?

No idea, but after visiting that site I suddenly can't stop the funk.

Just a Person
1006th Post

"Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 20:16:post reply

quote:

Wow really? Brazil sounds even cooler than I already thought it was. Do you have any links? Is Street Fighter still that well known in Brazil? Cos, I can see the Nintendo Wii being a point of interest for non gaming news sites, but I wasn't sure if Street Fighter had become THAT iconic (like Mario and Pacman).

That's very cool if it is.

Okay, here are some of them I found:

Omelete (although it talks about games, they're not the main subject)

Folha Online (website from "Folha de S.Paulo", the biggest newspaper in Brazil) - although they use Ken's picture from SSFII HD, they are actually speaking of SF IV...

UOL Tecnologia

There are other ones I saw, but they were from websites that talk about games, so it would be logical that they would announce SF IV...

quote:
what was the last US made fighting game that rocked?

Uh... well, Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat:Deception were actually pretty good games. Although then came Mortal Kombat:Armageddon and ruined everything with the lazy work done in it.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Thu 18 Oct 20:34]

Just a Person
1005th Post

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 20:32post reply

quote:

anyone else?

I hope they are conservative on who they bring back. Outside of Ken, Ryu, Akuma and Chun-Li I hope no more than 6 people return from previous games. 6 is a lot considering the starting line up of the original SF2 and SF Alpha were 8 and 13 respectively.

However, I know the majority of people are always asking "Where was Guile/Sagat/Blanka/etc. in SFIII", but people didn't realize that their stories were pretty much settled by the end of SF2.

Guile was able to go back to his family, Sagat wasn't as ambitious about revenge, Blanka found his mom, etc.

I would rather see new characters with different fighting styles that give rise to new gameplay opportunities. We need a real MMA fighter. Alex had some MMA influence in his design, but he was mostly pro-wrestling. The boxer in this game should be a smaller weight class who is about "punches in bunches" like Manny Pacquiao.

Yeah, I agree. SF IV should have many new characters - but unlike SFIII, maybe this time Capcom shouldn't be so radical about it. Sure, most of the fighters must be new, but putting just Ryu and Ken from the known characters last time wasn't wise... it wouldn't be wise now, either. Besides them both, at least Gouki and Chun-Li should be in it (although even though I love Chun-Li, I can't figure out why she would come back this time). Maybe Sagat, too.

But I'd actually like if Sakura returned in this game, all grown-up, maybe more serious at fighting. And of course, not dressed as a schoolgirl anymore...

Oh, and your idea of the smaller boxer is great!

Professor
2413th Post

MMCafe Owner

"SF4 an American Project" , posted Thu 18 Oct 23:47:post reply

Looks like the project is CoA based after all.

According to comments from Capcom of Japan (Dengeki Online),

"The title is fundamentally a development on the American side. There is nothing that we can domestically comment at the current time, including its platform or release period."

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 19 Oct 00:30]

Freeter
4405th Post

"Re(1):SF4 an American Project" , posted Thu 18 Oct 23:52post reply

quote:

"The title is fundamentally a development in the American side. There is nothing that we can comment domestically at the current time, including its platform or release period."

And the fanboys riot in 3...2...1...

ZamIAm
1671th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):The SF4 thread" , posted Thu 18 Oct 23:59post reply

quote:

anyone else?

Yeah, I agree. SF IV should have many new characters - but unlike SFIII, maybe this time Capcom shouldn't be so radical about it. Sure, most of the fighters must be new, but putting just Ryu and Ken from the known characters last time wasn't wise... it wouldn't be wise now, either. Besides them both, at least Gouki and Chun-Li should be in it (although even though I love Chun-Li, I can't figure out why she would come back this time). Maybe Sagat, too.

But I'd actually like if Sakura returned in this game, all grown-up, maybe more serious at fighting. And of course, not dressed as a schoolgirl anymore...

Oh, and your idea of the smaller boxer is great!

I'd love to see new people but it would suck if they didn't include ANY of the SF3 people. At least Alex, Ibuki, or Yun.

NARUTO
3586th Post

"Re(2):SF4 an American Project" , posted Fri 19 Oct 00:04post reply

quote:

....ZERO!!!!!!!!

Fortes fortuna juvat...

nobinobita
181th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):SF4 an American Project" , posted Fri 19 Oct 01:59post reply

quote:

....ZERO!!!!!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

nobinobita
182th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):SF4 an American Project" , posted Fri 19 Oct 02:00post reply

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

nobinobita
183th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):SF4 an American Project" , posted Fri 19 Oct 02:00post reply

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hikarutilmitt
443th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 02:04post reply

quote:

I aways thought in my fanboy head that they should have made a SF game that had the main character focus on Sakura and Karin as the Ryu and Ken of the game and then maybe have those two played down further, older, etc. Maybe they could bring one or two of the characters from Justice Gakuen into the fray, since they should also be older, now?

And CoA making it, as most of us suspected, worries me. :(

IkariDC
673th Post

"Re(5):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 02:33post reply

First of all, I'm not a fanboy. I'll still keep and eye on the development of this game, but I guess that it's pretty safe to say at this point that it will be a 3D game, right? If this is the case, in my eyes this won't be SF4. Maybe it will still be a good game, but if it's not 2D and to some extend, japanese it can be the true SF4.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Ishmael
2966th Post

"Re(6):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 02:48post reply

quote:
First of all, I'm not a fanboy. I'll still keep and eye on the development of this game, but I guess that it's pretty safe to say at this point that it will be a 3D game, right? If this is the case, in my eyes this won't be SF4. Maybe it will still be a good game, but if it's not 2D and to some extend, japanese it can be the true SF4.

Are those plague of vs games that started with XMvSF considered SF games? What about the EX games? When the question of what is a "true" SF game comes up it makes me wonder if Capcom Japan has released as many "fake" SF games as legit ones.

Speaking of Japan, what has the reaction to this news been over there? The responses I've seen on English boards have run the gamut from delight to caution to mourning. Has the response in non-English speaking areas been about the same?

Iggy
8205th Post

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 03:14post reply

quote:
The responses I've seen on English boards have run the gamut from delight to caution to mourning. Has the response in non-English speaking areas been about the same?

From what I've seen, it goes from mourning to rage (with things like "they will make it like Mortal Kombat", plus various racist and/or extremely racist comments).

Maybe, if the game is bad enough, some people in Japan will be angry enough to take the licence back ? This is the only positive thing I can think of so far.

nobinobita
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 03:46post reply

quote:

From what I've seen, it goes from mourning to rage (with things like "they will make it like Mortal Kombat", plus various racist and/or extremely racist comments).

I'm curious as to what the reaction is in countries OTHER than America and Japan. Like, I'd really like to know what the French think.

I studied animation in France a while back and I was delighted to find that for the most part, most the people I met just liked good art without a care for its country of origin. They didn't have any bias against liking good non French art. There were posters of Metropolis and Ghibli stuff on the walls alongside Disney and Pixar. And these guys were seriously the best student animators in the world.

This contrasts greatly to America, where the academic institutions I studied in felt free to make statements like "No Japanese can draw good poses" or "The Japanese just don't know how to animate" or "Manga all looks the same."

Mind you these were the Professors, not just fellow students.

So what is the reaction to this in France, a country with its own rich artistic history that can watch these events unfold without a clear bias towards either culture (US or Japan). OR, if there IS a bias, where would you say it leans?

What's the reaction elsewhere? Brazil? Turkey? Wherever people from this board are from.

Iggy
8206th Post

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 03:54post reply

On the french board I regularly post, reactions are between "this sucks", "this is not so as bad as it could have been, but it's still pretty terrible" and "who cares ?".
But it's a very small board full of angry old bourgeois geeks. Not very representative.

Spoon
1432th Post

"Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 04:26post reply

quote:
angry old bourgeois

Since when have you ever trusted the opinions of the bourgeois on art?

I thought they were below your standards!... or have I been misled?

Zepy
1416th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 04:40post reply

Ryu... long retired since the last street fighter tournament having saved the world once again with his super martial arts, was laying at home watching TV and eating pizza. Suddenly, he gets a phone call from his girlfriend Chun Li!

It appears that a new evil has been born and it is threatening to destroy the entire universe! Only one man can save the universe now and Ryu enters the street fighter 4 international super tournament once again to come face to face with his fate, and it may be far worse than what he has ever imagined.

EddyT
597th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SF4 an American Project" , posted Fri 19 Oct 04:58:post reply

quote:

"The title is fundamentally a development on the American side. There is nothing that we can domestically comment at the current time, including its platform or release period."

There's debate about this at the SRK forums, especially from a man named Seth Killian (an SF pro player).

Capcom USA or Capcom Japan?

Apparently, there is debate as to who is "publishing" the title, and who is "developing" the title. I'm not too familiar with the whole video game business side, but it's a good thread to bookmark, if you're interested.

Hi Maddy. :x I'm now in Japan, at your house, eating all your foods.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Fri 19 Oct 04:59]

Iggy
8207th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 05:12post reply

quote:

If you think videogames are art, then yes.

quote:
Apparently, there is debate as to who is "publishing" the title, and who is "developing" the title. I'm not too familiar with the whole video game business side, but it's a good thread to bookmark, if you're interested.

The page the professor linked to is without ambiguity. Capcom Japan has absolutely no tie with the game, and has nothing to say on it because they aren't concerned.

Spoon
1433th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 05:32post reply

quote:

If you think videogames are art, then yes.

You're always so fashion conscious that I thought you were only talking about how it looked.

I should've reworded that as "anything".

GPA
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Openly Optimistic" , posted Fri 19 Oct 05:48post reply

I'm honestly pretty excited about this game, but if it looks like it's going to suck midway through production, I wouldn't be too upset. I think the development team could do a good to very good job regardless where they're from as long as they are able to get and follow any resources they can from the series up to this point (that includes human resources) and as long as they care about the soul of the franchise and understand the responsiblity they have in giving the game the name it has.
If this game is lackluster it will be one of the greatest tragedies in gaming history, and CoA as a developer will lose all credibility in the industry (even though they don't have much to begin with). Everyone, from the players to the game staff, knows this so I think they'll approach the project with the right attitude. As was said before, if it is really terrible, perhaps it'll get CoJ to do something with franchise instead of simply whoring it out for crossovers.

Tai-Pan
190th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 05:53post reply

quote:
Here's a fun thought.

Well yeah..I mean, the only thing that matters to me (wether its 3d or 2d) is if this new game is going to be a real street fighter sequel. What do i mean? If Capcom USA makes this game, then the probabilities of playing a street fighter parody are gonna be high. Even if they try very hard, we know it's not gonna be a real street fighter sequel. For example, even if the SF3 series had different art direction and everything, it still felt as a real street fighter game within the street fighter universe, it felt like a new beginning of the same, like a real evolved sequel, it shared the same "spirit" as street fighter 2.
For example, when the king of fighters 2001 was developed by a different team (not even the real SNK) the game had the same graphics but it felt completely different, it felt like a parody of itself , a copycat, it just didn't have the same soul as the previous games.
whatever..only time will tell...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Just a Person
1008th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 05:55post reply

quote:
Ryu... long retired since the last street fighter tournament having saved the world once again with his super martial arts, was laying at home watching TV and eating pizza. Suddenly, he gets a phone call from his girlfriend Chun Li!

It appears that a new evil has been born and it is threatening to destroy the entire universe! Only one man can save the universe now and Ryu enters the street fighter 4 international super tournament once again to come face to face with his fate, and it may be far worse than what he has ever imagined.

If that turns out to be the actual plot for SF IV, it may get the award of "worst video game plot EVER".

And considering the EA games nowadays, that's not an easy achievement...

Tai-Pan
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 06:06post reply

Well what Im trying to say is that it just doesn't matter how much money or time they invest on this game. The only thing that matters is WHO is in charge of DEVELOPING it, if it's a team of REAL artists AND they KNOW the street fighter universe, then we are gonna get a real street fighter sequel..

But im sure about this, if this game turns out to be a stupid parody or just a stupid fighting game with the street fighter name and characters in it, IF THIS HAPPENS, Im gonna lose hope in humanity, which means that im gonna start feeling my age, I will feel old and spend countless minutes saying how the world used to be, how we had real games and artists when I was young, I will describe the pieces of art that I used to behold, Im gonna spend hours thinking about the SF2/3 endings with nostalgic eyes..oh the good old times, and my wife will tell me that im only 25 years old and that im an asshole. But I will still feel betrayed by the human being while I listen to tango music.

But if this game turns out to be a real sequel, Im gonna feel young, I will listen to bon jovi and U2 songs and feel powerful, I will believe Im immortal and believe in human being!! Theres hope!!! we are the perfect specie!!! BEHOLD THE HUMAN WILL!!!

No really, this is all about that

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Time Mage
2598th Post

"Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 06:18post reply

quote:
On the french board I regularly post, reactions are between "this sucks", "this is not so as bad as it could have been, but it's still pretty terrible" and "who cares ?".
But it's a very small board full of angry old bourgeois geeks. Not very representative.

Replace "french" with "spanish" and you have my opinion. Although in the boards I frequent, there might be a bit more optimism. I cannot say that I'm optimistic (I'm still in the mindless "hype" state), but when the hype fades, I thin I won't be too pessimistic, either.

nobinobita
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 06:32post reply

quote:
it just didn't have the same soul as the previous games.

I agree. It's this ephemeral "soul" that US companies have yet to to replicate. Just take a look at all the recent US continuations of Japanese franchises, and see how much respect and/or understanding they actually have for the "feeling" and "spirit" of the property.

Silent Hill Origins:
Game director calla previous silent hill protagonists "emo". Says he will make Silent Hill more action packed with a gruff macho character.

Silent Hill V:
Silent Hill, also with more action and fighting and combos and cinematic timed button press attacks. Game director says he WANTS you to feel LESS helpless in this latest edition of Silent Hill. Also, the logo looks silly with the "Vee". It should be a number "5". I know that's nitpicking, but they're breaking with the series branding. A 5 is more reserved and classy. A "V" is more in your face. I know this sounds silly, but you know... I care about this stuff.

Street Fighter HD:
It's ugly.

Final Fight Streetwise:
It's terribly ugly, has bad gameplay, Cody is addicted to drugs, Guy has a stupid ass tribal tattoo and everyone curses for no reason. Also the game had a whole stupid "respect" vibe going on. Respect? I don't want to give or receive respect from Criminals. I just want to hit them with 2x4s.

Capcom Fighting Evolution:
Lazy ass cut and paste job. Background characters were inserted randomly, and also weren't even new art, just old art scaled down. Training level also had the horizon line waaaay up the screen showing blatant disregard for any basic rules of perspective. Hack job all around. Fun, but in a stupid sloppy way.

Bionic Commando:
Terrible character design with extremely inappropriate haircut. How many times have you seen somone with the whiteboy dreads and thought to yourself "hey, that pale, clammy, moldy smelling politically active young man over there... the one wearing all the hemp... i want to be THAT guy" ???

Contra 4 DS:
OK, this game actually looks really cool. Feels like Contra. They even went back to being shirtless. Cool. Maybe WayForward Technologies should be doing all these remakes and sequals.

And its not just the US's fault. It's obvious that the Japanese companies will roll over and let US developers do whatever the hell they want as long as it makes money. That makes sense financially. But it also depresses the hell outta me. I wish there were some way to make games that hard core fans and casual fans could enjoy. It is possible. But its not really happening anymore.

Pollyanna
2360th Post

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 06:49post reply

My favorite remark from Japanese people was something like "Remember Final Fight Revenge! Remember Captain Sawada!"

Aaaand...

Nobinobita: I've been displeased with almost every Japanese to American sequel as well, but to be fair, I'm sure we can find just as many (or...more) instances of the Japanese shitting on their own licenses. That is to say, I don't know how great the games would have been if they didn't care much for them to begin with.

Also, I don't think Americans are to blame for CFJ (except the endings?). I didn't know SH Origins was American, either. 5 yes, but not Origins. My problem with 5 is that visually, it doesn't have anything inspired. They tried too hard to make it exactly like the other games. Each character's Silent Hill should be completely different than the last.

GPA
27th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 07:04post reply

Although I agree with your argument, wasn't Capcom Fighting Jam a Japanese production? I know it had Udon's involvment since the SF comic was in it's heyday during that period, but I'm pretty sure it was developed in Japan.

Also, the Japanese can turn their franchises to crap themsleves to make a buck too. Look at the Sakura Taisen series which has been bled dry and the Sonic series, which has been pretty soulless since Sonic Heroes (arguably since Sonic Adventure). Then, there was the Street Fighter 2 anime movie game and the terrible SF Zero anime, even Final Fantasy is in on it these days.

quote:
it just didn't have the same soul as the previous games.

I agree. It's this ephemeral "soul" that US companies have yet to to replicate. Just take a look at all the recent US continuations of Japanese franchises, and see how much respect and/or understanding they actually have for the "feeling" and "spirit" of the property.

Silent Hill Origins:
Game director calla previous silent hill protagonists "emo". Says he will make Silent Hill more action packed with a gruff macho character.

Silent Hill V:
Silent Hill, also with more action and fighting and combos and cinematic timed button press attacks. Game director says he WANTS you to feel LESS helpless in this latest edition of Silent Hill. Also, the logo looks silly with the "Vee". It should be a number "5". I know that's nitpicking, but they're breaking with the series branding. A 5 is more reserved and classy. A "V" is more in your face. I know this sounds silly, but you know... I care about this stuff.

Street Fighter HD:
It's ugly.

Final Fight Streetwise:
It's terribly ugly, has bad gameplay, Cody is addicted to drugs, Guy has a stupid ass tribal tattoo and everyone curses for no reason. Also the game had a whole stupid "respect" vibe going on. Respect? I don't want to give or receive respect from Criminals. I just want to hit them with 2x4s.

Capcom Fighting Evolution:
Lazy ass cut and paste job. Background characters were inserted randomly, and also weren't even new art, just old art scaled down. Training level also had the horizon line waaaay up the screen showing blatant disregard for any basic rules of perspective. Hack job all around. Fun, but in a stupid sloppy way.

Bionic Commando:
Terrible character design with extremely inappropriate haircut. How many times have you seen somone with the whiteboy dreads and thought to yourself "hey, that pale, clammy, moldy smelling politically active young man over there... the one wearing all the hemp... i want to be THAT guy" ???

Contra 4 DS:
OK, this game actually looks really cool. Feels like Contra. They even went back to being shirtless. Cool. Maybe WayForward Technologies should be doing all these remakes and sequals.

And its not just the US's fault. It's obvious that the Japanese companies will roll over and let US developers do whatever the hell they want as long as it makes money. That makes sense financially. But it also depresses the hell outta me. I wish there were some way to make games that hard core fans and casual fans could enjoy. It is possible. But its not really happening anymore.

EddyT
598th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 07:13:post reply

quote:
Although I agree with your argument, wasn't Capcom Fighting Jam a Japanese production? I know it had Udon's involvment since the SF comic was in it's heyday during that period, but I'm pretty sure it was developed in Japan.

That post I just mentioned... it said that Capcom's CPS2 team made CFJ. I believe Udon did the ending artwork only.

Bad games come from anywhere, this is true. Hopefully, SF4 will be much better because of the name itself. I'm hoping the budget for the game will be much higher, and they will be able to get better artists and programmers who know SF. Just the fact that Dave Sirlin works for Capcom, it helps me know that the game will at least be good technically because of his ability to break down SF so well.

But yeah, at least there's news of a new SF... so I can't really complain about that. I just hope that it does the series justice. It's been a long wait.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Fri 19 Oct 07:16]

kofoguz
564th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 07:21post reply

quote:
What's the reaction elsewhere? Brazil? Turkey? Wherever people from this board are from.

Hi! I'm Oğuz and reporting from Turkey. People in Turkiye doesnt even know there will be a Sf4. Hell they didt even care about Sf3. As far as I know chances you can find SF fans -who really care about sf after Sf2, maybe alpha too- as much as you can find penguins in desert. I guess thats just me and my friend -who I informed- heard therell be Sf 4.
Joke aside only a few gaming sites giving the news but there isnt much commenting about it at all.
As I said Turkiye gives more crap to King of Fighters than Street Fighters. There must be die hard fans but not enough to open a fan site about it. You cant find a fan site of street fighters but you can find plenty of kof's. Even tekken is more popular here.

Fuchikoma
1446th Post

"Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 07:42post reply

There's a very good reason why Capcom Japan isn't doing this game... it's utterly impossible to make a SF4 game that lives up to the expectations of fans. The fighting game genre, both 2d and 3d has been pretty played out.

Yu Suzuki, the Tekken Team, Arc Systems... they've been keeping the genre going, but I don't think they could make a proper SF4. I don't even think the original team could make the SF4 that people want. Japanese or American... it's just an impossible task.

Nate
906th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 08:11post reply

I can't say I'm too excited about this. I don't really expect it to be 2D or even have a lot of characters I like. I feel like it's just going to be a fanboy clusterfuck of ideas. They're going to pile on more and more crap that fans want rather than focusing on making a balanced or good game.

If they limit the Ryu/Ken types to Ryu, Ken and Gouki I will be SHOCKED.

I do have a vague hope of seeing an older Sakura and possibly even Karin, though.

At the very least it'll probably look better than the HD remix...assuming they get artists who actually understand anatomy, anyway.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Red Falcon
5969th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 09:38post reply

I'm going to hold out until there is some media/reports on the game before I FINALLY make up my mind, but I am pessimistic to start with, honestly.

I personally think Capcom of Japan is entirely aware that nobody could make a game that would live up to the fan expectations/hype, and are more or less willfully unloading it on Capcom of America, with perhaps a subconscious hope it will bomb and the series will truly die and they'll never have to be hassled about it again.

Maou
1269th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 09:45post reply

Yo Red Falcon, while you're here, and speaking of Street Fighter---so was I imagining things in the other thread when I thought you'd mentioned there were some fighting game tourneys around Washington DC where we could have at a round of Zero 3 or Soul Calibur 2 or something. I remember "C3" maybe and possibly something about it actually being a LAN site (don't know much about tournaments or LANs, fill me in?).

Red Falcon
5970th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 10:36post reply

quote:
Yo Red Falcon, while you're here, and speaking of Street Fighter---so was I imagining things in the other thread when I thought you'd mentioned there were some fighting game tourneys around Washington DC where we could have at a round of Zero 3 or Soul Calibur 2 or something. I remember "C3" maybe and possibly something about it actually being a LAN site (don't know much about tournaments or LANs, fill me in?).

It's a lan.. place or whatever, but they hold monthly tournies. There is one this Saturday in fact, but I'm not going to be able to make it this month. I'll update the post with info on it once I'm done doing what I'm doing.

nobinobita
186th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 11:11post reply

quote:

Also, the Japanese can turn their franchises to crap themsleves to make a buck too. Look at the Sakura Taisen series which has been bled dry and the Sonic series, which has been pretty soulless since Sonic Heroes (arguably since Sonic Adventure).

Sonic Heroes, made in the USA

Haha and yes, of course Japan dissappoints too. They didn't even buy Jet Set Radio so they lost their cool points a long time ago. But the point is... when's the last time a Japanese franchise actually got proper treatment from a US studio?

Oh forgot to mention that ps1 contra game! Though I guess that's technically a Hungarian game.

Anyway, it's just clear that Capcom no longer cares about Street Fighter. The fact is that Street Fighter 4 was announced, and it feels underwhelming compared to titles such as Metal Gear 4, Devil May Cry 4, Res Evil 5 etc. Street Fighter is more iconic and well known (in terms of pop culture) than any of those series. Not nearly as popular in recent years, but still iconic. Family guy has made Street Fighter jokes cos its well known enough to be remembered widely.

The announcement of Street Fighter 4 should be HUGE. And Capcom should pull out all the stops for it. It should be at least as impressive as Metal Gear 4. But it's not anywhere near there.

And well... that's just sad.

Satoshi_Miwa
2809th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 11:24post reply

quote:
I'm going to hold out until there is some media/reports on the game before I FINALLY make up my mind, but I am pessimistic to start with, honestly.

I personally think Capcom of Japan is entirely aware that nobody could make a game that would live up to the fan expectations/hype, and are more or less willfully unloading it on Capcom of America, with perhaps a subconscious hope it will bomb and the series will truly die and they'll never have to be hassled about it again.

Pretty much sums my thoughts up exactly on the game. And part of the reason why I think Capcom of America should look for a developer that loves fighting game, but has never made one before. Go for the moon and make something different, as SSFT, SFA3, and SF3:TS are pretty much the peak of Capcom 2-D fighting.

At best you'll have something memorable, at worst you'll have a memorable failure that won't devalue the games that came before

Pollyanna
2362th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 12:01post reply

quote:

A But the point is... when's the last time a Japanese franchise actually got proper treatment from a US studio?

I guess...Metroid? Or was that made in Europe? Still, I'm bummed that Samus is just "generic white woman".

Still, it's not that I disagree with your point.

Nate

In reference to what you said...I agree, and I think a really strong creator will make something that you didn't know you wanted, rather than delivering something that you do. You might satisfy in the short-term, but you can never make a classic that way.

crazymike
1384th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 12:06post reply

Anyone ever thought reason USA developers of Japanese companies do not put out spectacular products is they are not given enough resources or chances to do so?

To this day insiders claim that Konami USA developed a damn good 3D Castlevania for Dreamcast but Konami Japan pulled the plug on the project, some contend because they were embarassed the US company got it right and they still haven't transitioned their 2D titles as well over to 3D.

Tai-Pan
193th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 12:12post reply

has anybody read anything about this SF4 announcement on Japanese sites/forums?

Maou
1270th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 12:14post reply

Hmm, CV Resurrection was going to have it right? Somehow, I don't think so...

codeblues
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 12:22post reply

quote:

The announcement of Street Fighter 4 should be HUGE. And Capcom should pull out all the stops for it. It should be at least as impressive as Metal Gear 4. But it's not anywhere near there.

And well... that's just sad.

Was the announcement of GG HUGE? (genuine question)

nobinobita
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 12:56post reply

quote:

I guess...Metroid? Or was that made in Europe? Still, I'm bummed that Samus is just "generic white woman".

You're right absolutely right! Metroid was made in Texas by a no name studio. But it was awesome.

It was awesome cos it was made under the close supervision of Nintendo. That's why I like Nintendo, cos they really care about their fist party titles. When Microsoft bought rare they got screwed cos Nintendo sold them a lump of coal and told them to make their own diamonds.

Capcom could do the same thing with SF4. That would make me realllly happy. If they just sent a few veteran game designers and key artists over. They could make magic happen.

Also, i never thought of Samus as particularly white. Actually if anything i originally thought she was Asian cos of her long green hair haha.

Gojira
2242th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 15:01:post reply

Don't forget that studio was actually the second development group to get their hands on Metroid. The first one was going to develop it for the N64 but Nintendo canned it early on.

Anyway CoA has no choice. CoJ will NOT make another Street Fighter. Go beg them if you want, they're not going to do it. At least CoA is willing to try, as ill-fated as it seems.

Edit: butt wot

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 19 Oct 15:02]

shin ramberk
314th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 16:15post reply

Maximo was developed by a US company but it may have had close supervision by CoJ. What about Red Dead Revolver?

I think CoA should have delivered ST HD first before making this announcement. There is supposed to be a "Remix" version included in ST HD that changes the game engine. If CoA proved themselves capable of IMPROVING ST, then we'd be much more confident in their ability to do SF4.

Regardless of anything, if this game is 3D mashed into 2D, its trash to me. SF is about real 2D gameplay.

Second worry-- this game is gonna get designs by a "fan artist" just like KOF got with Falcoon and KOF MI. :(

Juan
4435th Post

"glorious nippon" , posted Fri 19 Oct 16:21:post reply

quote:
Anyway CoA has no choice. CoJ will NOT make another Street Fighter. Go beg them if you want, they're not going to do it. At least CoA is willing to try, as ill-fated as it seems.

Edit: butt wot

YES!

Also, people in game companies change. They most likely don't have the same people that planned out Final Fight Revenge. Maybe even the people that thought it was a good idea to make Final Fight Streetwise are not related to CoA anymore.

Maybe it will be ok.

also, cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos cos

think well your answer

[this message was edited by Juan on Fri 19 Oct 16:29]

makatiel
203th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 16:38post reply

Did the American developers also make that trailer? Cause that trailer was all kinds of badass. If they can make a trailer with that much style, then I can be all out optimistic.

If the trailer was made by Japan but the game will be developed in America then I'll just be cautiously optimistic.

Pollyanna
2363th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 16:40post reply

quote:
Maximo was developed by a US company but it may have had close supervision by CoJ. What about Red Dead Revolver?

Red Dead Revolver is...kind of a mess, because the Capcom version, which I don't believe anyone ever played, was much much different than the version that actually got released.

But yeah! Maximo! I kinda liked both Maximo games, actually. That was join US and Japan, right?

I mean, if you think of Maximo as a Makaimura sequel, it's a bit of a letdown, (mostly because of the environments), but it's not like the games were dramatically inferior to the PSP Makaimura.

CHAZumaru
489th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 18:44post reply

quote:

Red Dead Revolver is...kind of a mess, because the Capcom version, which I don't believe anyone ever played, was much much different.

I played it at one TGS, so I am pretty sure other posters such as Prof and maybe Brandon also gave it a try back then. If I remember correctly it was the same TGS in which Capcom Fighting All-Stars was playable (TGS 2002?). Besides the engine, I don't remember the game being that different from the final version; however I probably played the final version even less than the TGS demo so I am probably not the most qualified bourgeois geek to compare both games.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Pollyanna
2364th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 19:59post reply

quote:

I played it at one TGS, so I am pretty sure other posters such as Prof and maybe Brandon also gave it a try back then. If I remember correctly it was the same TGS in which Capcom Fighting All-Stars was playable (TGS 2002?). Besides the engine, I don't remember the game being that different from the final version; however I probably played the final version even less than the TGS demo so I am probably not the most qualified bourgeois geek to compare both games.

Ah, I had seen a trailer of the original, but I didn't know it was playable. What do you mean "besides the engine", though? I mean...that's kind of everything, right?

From the trailer I saw, the renders were different in the Rockstar version, the music wasn't used, and the gameplay looked decidedly different.

So, I know they changed a lot, but I don't know that they changed every element a lot. Like, they changed a lot of things, but they didn't change each of those things very much, maybe?

Just a Person
1009th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 21:25post reply

quote:

I agree. People have been asking for a SF IV for ten years; even before the release of SFIII:3S, there was already a considerable demand for SF IV. And Capcom of Japan never made a single effort into this direction, they've just re-released SFII and its updates from time to time, and shown a really lazy job with CFJ.

I'm not saying that CoA has no chance of making an awful job with SF IV, but at least they are trying. This, as well as the HD version of SSFIIX (as bad as it is), shows that at least they still care about the SF franchise, instead of just using it as a way of re-releasing old games with little or no changes at all, to make money. And who knows, they can use SF:HD's qualities (if there is any) as an example of what to do with SF IV, and its flaws (we already guessed some of them) as an example of what NOT to do again...

quote:
I do have a vague hope of seeing an older Sakura and possibly even Karin, though.

And Rainbow Mika. Don't forget about Rainbow Mika! After all this time, the girl is supposed to be a wrestling superstar, after all...

chazumaru
491th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 22:33:post reply

quote:

Ah, I had seen a trailer of the original, but I didn't know it was playable. What do you mean "besides the engine", though? I mean...that's kind of everything, right?

The characters were much more choppy (choppier?), and the camera was so-so in 2002. however:

1) if I remember correctly - but it dates now - all characters shown in the demo were also somewhere to be found in the final version. I remember some indian dude is involved with the hero somehow? He was already there and had the same role.

2) I do not remember how the final version plays. However, I remember that I was under the impression both versions were completely different until I got to play the final game. Then my first thought was that the controls were surprisingly similar to the TGS demo, yet much more efficient in the final version.

This is what I meant by "not that different". Compared to how far apart both versions looked to me before I played the final game, it had kept a lot of elements from the "Capcom" build.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Fri 19 Oct 22:34]

ZamIAm
1674th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Fri 19 Oct 23:23post reply

quote:
And Rainbow Mika. Don't forget about Rainbow Mika! After all this time, the girl is supposed to be a wrestling superstar, after all...

Mika would be cool, but I seriously doubt she would show up again. Probably the biggest tragedy of introducing new characters in the Alpha series is that most will never be seen again.

Digitalboy
473th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Oct 01:11post reply

After reading some other posts here on this thread, made me remember that Capcom of America has a relationship with Udon Studios.

My prediction: CoA will have Udon Studios create the story for SF4. It will be somewhere between sucking and blowing. Plus Udon will also provide some art for something within the game.

But hey it is just a thought. That is all.

I don't know how to live

Tai-Pan
194th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Oct 07:17post reply

quote:

My prediction: CoA will have Udon Studios create the story for SF4. It will be somewhere between sucking and blowing. Plus Udon will also provide some art for something within the game.

Well, at least to me, the SF4 logo they showed looks very Udon inspired..

Nate
907th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Oct 07:44post reply

quote:

Actually, I was going to mention her but she's just not popular enough that I have any hopes of her making it. If they could just rework her attacks in general to be less awkward she'd be awesome. She could also stand to take damage better and have other attributes of a grappler-type.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

ZamIAm
1675th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Oct 08:34post reply

quote:
Actually, I was going to mention her but she's just not popular enough that I have any hopes of her making it. If they could just rework her attacks in general to be less awkward she'd be awesome. She could also stand to take damage better and have other attributes of a grappler-type.

Some of her moves *coughherpeachattackscough* could use some serious tweaking but I can tolerate her lower defense due to having slightly higher speed and the general weirdness of her character as a whole.

GekigangerV
1442th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Oct 13:03post reply

quote:
After reading some other posts here on this thread, made me remember that Capcom of America has a relationship with Udon Studios.

If UDON were involved the mini-game we would get would be a hot dog eating contest.

Catalyst
325th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Oct 14:21post reply

I'm glad that SF 4 is coming out and in the works, however, is it wrong to say or think maybe SF 3 3rd strike is high as it can go technically for a fighting game possibly? [I'm not a big tournament person nor never got the chance to it but please correct me if I'm wrong]

Not to discredit SF 4 in anyway or such but how much further can SF 4 take a fighting game?

Overall fun and nice trailer, I think I'll just kick back and wait and see what will be the next announcement!

NARUTO
3588th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sat 20 Oct 17:59post reply

quote:
I played it at one TGS, so I am pretty sure other posters such as Prof and maybe Brandon also gave it a try back then. If I remember correctly it was the same TGS in which Capcom Fighting All-Stars was playable (TGS 2002?).

Yup 2002, I was there too...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Digitalboy
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 01:06post reply

quote:
If UDON were involved the mini-game we would get would be a hot dog eating contest.
I was thinking the same thing. How can this game be revolutionary in terms of game play? That has not been done before in the Street Fighter series.
quote:
Not to discredit SF 4 in anyway or such but how much further can SF 4 take a fighting game?

I don't know how to live

Oroch
993th Post

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 01:22post reply

quote:
Official Site

Trailer

Let's rejoice !

i just vomited a little in my mouth

and thats not because of the super fatty kebab that i ate :(

dr baghead
3720th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 04:46post reply

quote:

Didn't Japan do that? Or was there something ungeneric about Super Metroid Samus I didn't pick up on? (was she a blonde asian woman or something in that ones?)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

vava
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 05:14post reply

Developed by CAPCOM JAPAN:

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=387393&postcount=52

Time Mage
2604th Post

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 05:33post reply

quote:

AWESOME!

As I said, even if I wasn't automatically ditching SF4 if it was made by CoA, having it made by CoJ is much, much better. So, hooray!

Ishmael
2971th Post

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 05:41post reply

First CoJ says they are not working on SF4, then CoA says that CoJ is, in fact working on it... at this rate we aren't going to know who made the fool game until somebody beats it and watches the credits. Still, good find on that news blurb.

quote:
I'm glad that SF 4 is coming out and in the works, however, is it wrong to say or think maybe SF 3 3rd strike is high as it can go technically for a fighting game possibly? [I'm not a big tournament person nor never got the chance to it but please correct me if I'm wrong]

I don't understand the thinking of tourney players but I'm not sure there's any one thing that decides whether a game ends up getting played at the tournament level or not. Some players never warmed up to the SF3 game engine while others played MvC2 -a game I cannot believe was built with high-level play in mind- in a manner that the programmers probably never thought of. I suspect that all a fighting game publisher can do is release their games and hope that the players embrace it.

Maou
1274th Post

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 06:10:post reply

Oh, I FREELY admit I assumed it'd be crap (see above) if it was by Capcom USA. Nothing anti-American about it given their track record, and given US-made fighter history. Some people may dig Mortal Kombat, but surely it's not of the same caliber, and that leaves us with...Primal Rage? Killer Instinct??

Which isn't to say that Capcom Japan will be able to do much better than Square will do with FF XIII given that both companies no longer have staff who are in any way relevant to the original series, but I like to think that at least in Capcom Japan's case there might be somebody competent around the office somewhere.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 21 Oct 06:16]

Red Falcon
5972th Post

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 09:13post reply

quote:

Well, that's good news, but... how?? They don't have anyone left.

vava
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 10:21:post reply

quote:

Well, that's good news, but... how?? They don't have anyone left.

Capcom Studio 1 developed the fighting games. They recently worked on the Monster Hunter series (art by Edayan), Zelda Minish Cap, Zack an Wiki (art by Sensei), Gundam SEED : Federation Vs. Z.A.F.T and Devil May Cry 3(art by Ikeno).
edit: and some programmers of SF 3 3strike worked on Sengoku Basara. xD

Also, Kinu Nishimura and Shoei still work at Capcom

[this message was edited by vava on Sun 21 Oct 10:24]

crazymike
1385th Post

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 12:50post reply

quote:

This contrasts greatly to America, where the academic institutions I studied in felt free to make statements like "No Japanese can draw good poses" or "The Japanese just don't know how to animate" or "Manga all looks the same."

My graphic design instructor is Korean and he tries to push us in a certain direction by looking towards Asian influenced design and he basically claims "this is the style of today and the future, catch up"

I think everyone has a little culture and regional bias in them.

Professor
2413th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 13:00post reply

quote:

Thanks, This is good news!!!!

I kind of wonder why Capcom of Japan's reps said its development is American-based.. If they didn't know about things happening in their own territory, that's really bad.

Catalyst
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 15:22post reply

quote:

I don't understand the thinking of tourney players but I'm not sure there's any one thing that decides whether a game ends up getting played at the tournament level or not. Some players never warmed up to the SF3 game engine while others played MvC2 -a game I cannot believe was built with high-level play in mind- in a manner that the programmers probably never thought of. I suspect that all a fighting game publisher can do is release their games and hope that the players embrace it.

That is true, I guess in the long run it is just a matter of everyone just liking it in the end for all fun.

MvC2 call me retarded but I'm willing to admit that it took me bout a month to realize that fierce punch and Roundhouse was an assist call. I really wish I could of enjoyed that game but there are some awesome players out there. I'm just absolutely horrible in that game haha.

shin ramberk
315th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 17:02post reply

quote:

Thanks, This is good news!!!!

I kind of wonder why Capcom of Japan's reps said its development is American-based.. If they didn't know about things happening in their own territory, that's really bad.

It seems to me that this game is being published and produced by Capcom USA and developed by a Japanese Capcom dev team? Basically, Capcom USA puts up the money to make the game, but a Japanese team develops it.

Clearly Capcom USA thinks they can make money off the franchise. I'm also thinking, maybe Capcom Japan sold off the SF franchise, not because they had given up on it, but because they didn't have any more SF developers left in the company.

Pollyanna
2365th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 18:43post reply

quote:

Didn't Japan do that? Or was there something ungeneric about Super Metroid Samus I didn't pick up on? (was she a blonde asian woman or something in that ones?)

This is at the very least, mostly true. Before I think her one notable feature was that she kinda had...Saint Seiya hair? But the difference is, back then, she didn't have a face and only appeared for like...what...one frame of a sprite?

So yeah, she was nothing, but now when she's been given the chance to be something, she's still nothing. It's like "anticlimactic" or something.

But I didn't mean that as a Japan vs America thing so much as like "the US Metroid games turned out well, but now that we've seen Samus in detail, I'm disappointed that they did absolutely nothing with her."

Iggy
8211th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 19:30post reply

quote:
she didn't have a face and only appeared for like...what...one frame of a sprite?

You're talking about the first Metroid, right ? She was playable without her armor in the game, with the exact color scheme of Shun, so she was basically Shun with breasts. So she was basically Shun.

chazumaru
492th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):The SF4 thread" , posted Sun 21 Oct 22:29:post reply

quote:

The ownership of the SF license by Capcom USA is apparently a bit of a touchy subject and a diplomatic issue whenever you deal with the Street Fighter franchise. Also, it would not be surprising if some of the staff working on SF4 came from America.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 21 Oct 22:30]

Freeter
4406th Post

"SF4 2nd Impact: Gaijin Attack" , posted Mon 22 Oct 01:04post reply

quote:
I kind of wonder why Capcom of Japan's reps said its development is American-based..

So that if the game bombs we'll know where to point the fingers at

Digitalboy
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):SF4 2nd Impact: Gaijin Attack" , posted Mon 22 Oct 02:09post reply

The development team for SF4 was not an issue for me. I am just wondering will it be better that 3rd Strike.

I don't know how to live

dr baghead
3721th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 02:16post reply

quote:
But I didn't mean that as a Japan vs America thing so much as like "the US Metroid games turned out well, but now that we've seen Samus in detail, I'm disappointed that they did absolutely nothing with her."

In that case I agree with your point, I remember having read Nintendo Power's Super Metroid Comic before playing the game and was a little shocked they made her blonde when the purple from the comic was such a better hair color.

I still think the blame for the change rest on Nintendo Japan though, since when they could show Samus in more detail: http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/gba/b/mf_2.htm she's just as generic as Metroid Prime Samus, and SSBB Zero Samus looks even more generic in my opinion.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Iggy
8212th Post

"Re(2):SF4 2nd Impact: Gaijin Attack" , posted Mon 22 Oct 03:07post reply

quote:
I am just wondering will it be better that 3rd Strike.

I think it's pretty safe to say "no, it won't", even at this stage.
A better question would be "Will it be better than SFZero/SF3", or "Will SF4-3 be better than SFZero2-3 or Third Strike".

Just a Person
1012th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 05:08post reply

quote:
she didn't have a face and only appeared for like...what...one frame of a sprite?
You're talking about the first Metroid, right ? She was playable without her armor in the game, with the exact color scheme of Shun, so she was basically Shun with breasts. So she was basically Shun.

You mean that she was basically what Shun WANTED himself to be, right??

Iggy
8213th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 05:17post reply

quote:

Tsss... Shun had a GIRLFRIEND !
(in the anime, so she probably isn't canon, but still).
And his armor had breasts, so my point is valid ! (and had it been Supef Metroid, Ikki would have been the Metroid itself. 兄さん、来てくれたのですね!)

Just a Person
1013th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 07:53post reply

quote:

Heh, I know, I know... I was just making the joke every person who reads/watches Saint Seiya (well, at least in Brazil) makes...

quote:
And his armor had breasts, so my point is valid ! (and had it been Supef Metroid, Ikki would have been the Metroid itself. 兄さん、来てくれたのですね!)

Sure, but unlike his armor, Samus' breasts are actually hers, really... and they look better, too... XD

Olivier Hague
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 09:16post reply

quote:

She was in the manga as well, actually.

Nobinobita
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 09:43post reply

quote:

Sure, but unlike his armor, Samus' breasts are actually hers, really... and they look better, too... XD

I agree.

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~rchais20/Metroid-Pirates/wib00.jpg
http://studentpages.scad.edu/~rchais20/Metroid-Pirates/wib06.jpg

Maou
1276th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 10:05post reply

quote:
I agree.
Woah, that's pretty stellar for a "rough sketch" comic. Who's the artist?

I like that there's a solid Metroid subthread going on in here.

Nobinobita
190th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 11:46:post reply

quote:
I agree. Woah, that's pretty stellar for a "rough sketch" comic. Who's the artist?

I like that there's a solid Metroid subthread going on in here.

Im not sure who the artist is, but he does the best Samus I've seen. Makes her a bit more distinct than the very generic version Nintendo continues to use to this day (although I think her genericness is intentional on their part).

Here's the whole thing if you're interested:

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~rchais20/Metroid%20-%20Pirates/

It's more or less work safe, aside from an errant side boob "it's not a porno!" (said in the voice of Kindergarten Cop Arnold)

[this message was edited by Nobinobita on Mon 22 Oct 11:48]

Tai-Pan
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 12:01post reply

quote:

Well, I always wondered about the reasons on why Sain Seiya was so popular in France (in my country was very popular too).

GekigangerV
1445th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 13:39:post reply

Apparently UDON is not involved

I am kind of grateful. Although Udon did some cool stuff with Marvel a few years ago such as the Taskmaster redesign and the Capcom Fighting Jam endings were neat, their Street Fighter comic has been rather mediocre.

I am thankful that they are releasing Street Fighter manga here and did Eternal Challenge, I even ordered their "Udon Art of Capcom" book(which is late as usual).

Also

The Capcom boards are overrun with stupidity. People are mentioning crazy ass control schemes such as Fight Night and Rise to Honor.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Mon 22 Oct 13:40]

sfried
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 14:20post reply

quote:

Here's the whole thing if you're interested:

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~rchais20/Metroid%20-%20Pirates/

It's more or less work safe, aside from an errant side boob "it's not a porno!" (said in the voice of Kindergarten Cop Arnold)

Why is Samus talking to Daft Punk?

TreIII
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 14:26post reply

quote:

Capcom Studio 1 developed the fighting games. They recently worked on the Monster Hunter series (art by Edayan), Zelda Minish Cap, Zack an Wiki (art by Sensei), Gundam SEED : Federation Vs. Z.A.F.T and Devil May Cry 3(art by Ikeno).
edit: and some programmers of SF 3 3strike worked on Sengoku Basara. xD

Also, Kinu Nishimura and Shoei still work at Capcom

That may sound good, but does it mean that these guys may be working on this game? That's the interesting question.

I mean, just from the guys you listed, there's plenty of reason to believe that at least a good number of them may be involved in other projects.

For instance, I'm sure the Monster Hunter guys have plenty on their plate to insure the continued lucrative value of that franchise as it goes forth to the Wii, as opposed to worrying about Street Fighter. The same could be said for the guys behind the Gundam Vs. series, as well as BASARA and maybe a number of others.

So again, I'm just left to wonder, does Capcom REALLY have that kind of work force left? And even if they did, would they be willing to work on another SF game, even if their schedule was clear to do so? That's where I have my doubts. The likes of various figureheads, who went on to found Arika and Craft & Meister left the company because, among other things, they had no continued interest in doing such a project, and a number of the other former teams disbanded and joined other parts of Capcom for similar reasons.

So, my thoughts are...it could just as easily be a thing where Capcom of Japan/America may just commission some one like Dimps to do the job, with just anybody from the above list being around long enough to just do a small measure of quality control.

Thus, my reasons for being a bit skeptical, at best. I really doubt that CoJ will be able to sweet-talk many of their own brass to come back for one more roll in the hay. Especially since, more or less, SF is more of CoA's concern than it is for the JP side of the equation, who really could care less, it seems.

sfried
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(5):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 15:22post reply

quote:

For instance, I'm sure the Monster Hunter guys have plenty on their plate to insure the continued lucrative value of that franchise as it goes forth to the Wii, as opposed to worrying about Street Fighter. The same could be said for the guys behind the Gundam Vs. series, as well as BASARA and maybe a number of others.

So again, I'm just left to wonder, does Capcom REALLY have that kind of work force left?

Ex-Clover Studio employees?

NARUTO
3589th Post

"Re(5):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 17:34post reply

quote:
That may sound good, but does it mean that these guys may be working on this game? That's the interesting question.

I mean, just from the guys you listed, there's plenty of reason to believe that at least a good number of them may be involved in other projects.

So again, I'm just left to wonder, does Capcom REALLY have that kind of work force left? And even if they did, would they be willing to work on another SF game, even if their schedule was clear to do so? That's where I have my doubts. The likes of various figureheads, who went on to found Arika and Craft & Meister left the company because, among other things, they had no continued interest in doing such a project, and a number of the other former teams disbanded and joined other parts of Capcom for similar reasons.

So, my thoughts are...it could just as easily be a thing where Capcom of Japan/America may just commission some one like Dimps to do the job, with just anybody from the above list being around long enough to just do a small measure of quality control.

Thus, my reasons for being a bit skeptical, at best. I really doubt that CoJ will be able to sweet-talk many of their own brass to come back for one more roll in the hay. Especially since, more or less, SF is more of CoA's concern than it is for the JP side of the equation, who really could care less, it seems.

Well there's a lot of peoples that can't work on it, and who aren't busy right now.... Kinu's last work was the war of the grail games art, games that wasn't released. Some other artist like Shinkiro or Senri kita aren't that busy, even if being a shinkiro fan, I don't want to see his art in a SF game.

As for Craft and Meister, that didn't do anything since the DBZ game, and this is quite some time ago...If SF4 is really in works for a good amout of time, we can with no problem imagine that Craft & Mister is working on it. pure speculation of course. On the other hand, COJ did the job for CFJ, I know it's not something glorious, but still.

And thinking that COJ is working on SF4 since quite some time, could explain some stuff, War of th grail cancelation, and why did COJ have found a new interest in 2D fighting enought to launch Basara X, but not being "capable" of developing them selves....

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Iggy
8214th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 18:43post reply

quote:

OH THANK GOD.
A dim light of hope rises at the horizon.

Professor
2415th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 20:02:post reply

quote:

----
As for Craft and Meister, that didn't do anything since the DBZ game, and this is quite some time ago...If SF4 is really in works for a good amout of time, we can with no problem imagine that Craft & Mister is working on it. pure speculation of course. On the other hand, COJ did the job for CFJ, I know it's not something glorious, but still.

It's probably safe to say that CoJ would be hiring a development studio to make the game. It's a bit unrealistic to think that they can do it in-house.

Just a wild thought, maybe we'll hear some first notes from Akiman's blog if he ends up being hired as an advisor or to do graphics for Chunli again. He did the artworks for her Third Strike sprites, so why not.

EddyT: You're in Japan! Where are you located? And what's happened to your site!

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 22 Oct 21:23]

Professor
2416th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(7):The SF4 thread" , posted Mon 22 Oct 22:13:post reply

Almost forgot.

What's your guess on SF4's release period.
1st Half (1/1 - 6/30) of 2008 /Fat Chance
2nd Half (7/1 - 12/31) of 2008
1st Half (1/1 - 6/30) of 2009
2nd Half (7/1 - 12/31) of 2009
1st Half (1/1 - 6/30) of 2010
2nd Half (7/1 - 12/31) of 2010
1st Half (1/1 - 6/30) of 2011
2nd Half (7/1 - 12/31) of 2011 /Kind of Late

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 22 Oct 22:17]

Spoon
1438th Post

"Re(8):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 01:52post reply

quote:
Almost forgot.

Poll

SFIV to be released in 2010, as SFIV: The Final Fight 2.

Digitalboy
480th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 01:57post reply

My predictions were nothing but mere skeptism! Japan is providing all the art work for SF4, this game is becoming more like the old games of Capcom had produced YEARS ago.

And Professor when you mention the release of this game do you mean the first game of the series or the final game of the series that involves all the tweaks and balances, et cetera.
quote:
OH THANK GOD.
A dim light of hope rises at the horizon.

I don't know how to live

Ishmael
2972th Post

"Re(9):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 02:30post reply

quote:
Almost forgot.

Poll

SFIV to be released in 2010, as SFIV: The Final Fight 2.

Will SF4 finally give Kevin Striker a chance to reclaim his former glory?

whitesword
1605th Post

"Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 04:15post reply

quote:

Will SF4 finally give Kevin Striker a chance to reclaim his former glory?

I believe you mean Cyborg Ken

crazymike
1386th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 08:50post reply

More official artwork revealed

GekigangerV
1445th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 12:36post reply

Interview

Kind of tight lipped. He hints that the trailers is somehow indicative of what they are trying to do with the game whether it is 2D or 3D.

He also says that the producer of Dawn of Dreams is producing SF4.

chazumaru
493th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 17:13post reply

quote:

Ono from Shin Onimusha. So Kamui was right all along.
Then we know more about this project than I thought we knew.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Time Mage
2605th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 19:40post reply

quote:

Ono from Shin Onimusha. So Kamui was right all along.
Then we know more about this project than I thought we knew.

Like? Please explain, I'm honestly interested on reading them.

Also, in the 2D vs 3D department, I think it is quite clearly hinted in the interview: It will be 3D with a "drawn" touch to it. Probably keeping the 3D elements at a minimum (I'm talking about perspective changes, rotations and the like).

Still a guess, but a bit more founded now, I think.

TreIII
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Tue 23 Oct 23:21post reply

quote:

Also, in the 2D vs 3D department, I think it is quite clearly hinted in the interview: It will be 3D with a "drawn" touch to it. Probably keeping the 3D elements at a minimum (I'm talking about perspective changes, rotations and the like).

Still a guess, but a bit more founded now, I think.

If it IS going to be 3D, it probably will be in the same way that Rival Schools/Project Justice was. Watching the trailer again, I can see that a bunch of guys on NeoGAF were right...you basically can draw an X/Y axis for Ken and Ryu's movements and positions throughout the entirety of the trailer.

Still, a part of me was really hoping that maybe Capcom would adopt what the likes of Banpresto, Treasure, Dimps and ESPECIALLY Vanillaware have already done: segmented sprites. Y'know, kinda like Rumble Fish.

I mean, sure, it wouldn't be traditional 2D in any sense either, but it can't be denied that it couldn't be used for an overall high-quality look, while also being easier for sprite artists, as well.

But alas, unless Capcom decided to hire Vanillaware (which also has a couple of ex-Capcom dudes on staff) for the job, I doubt something like this will take place.

Nobinobita
190th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):The SF4 thread" , posted Wed 24 Oct 05:18post reply

quote:

I'm not a fan of Dawn of Dreams (didn't like the art), but Shadow of Rome was a really fun game (well, with the exception of the cheap ass last boss). It had really fun, visceral gameplay, and some of the best in game models I've seen. It's one of the few 3-d games where the models themselves feel hand crafted.

I don't just mean that they look hand drawn, but rather that their contours and textures and designs all meshed together in a way that showed that each model was carefully composed and gives off the same feeling of care as a well drawn picture.

So... God forbid Street Fighter goes 3-d, but if it does I hope Capcom puts their best guys on it (don't Ikeno and Bengus do 3d modelling now?).

Zepy
1417th Post

"mmcafe front page update on SF4" , posted Wed 24 Oct 06:28post reply

quote:
3D

The front page of mmcafe has updated with an exclusive look at the upcoming 3D Street Fighter 4

So far by following the link we can see that Nash and Strider Hiryuu are confirmed in the new exciting fighting game! It seems that the game has been confirmed that it will play in 2.5D, which is awesome.

Maou
1279th Post

"Re(1):mmcafe front page update on SF4" , posted Wed 24 Oct 07:52:post reply

quote:
3D
The front page of mmcafe has updated with an exclusive look at the upcoming 3D Street Fighter 4

Cafe Updated: 07/07/2005

What? Zepy, why have you lied to me? I thought you would never lie to us!

PS: nobi, thanks for posting that! Too bad the artist is too self-deprecating from the first page to even bother with his name. A shame!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 24 Oct 08:00]

GekigangerV
1447th Post

"Re(2):mmcafe front page update on SF4" , posted Wed 24 Oct 12:08post reply

Jerry(the former owner of SOTA toys) said that Capcom invited him for a sneak preview of SF4 in a couple of weeks.

He posts under Anunakki

quote:
I was just invited up to Capcom on November 6th to get a SNEAK PEEK !!! But I cant go...Im designing and building some things for Pixar/Disneyland and I have to be at the park that entire week ! Ugh bummer for me.

So it may be that they are well into development.