Radiohead and NIN going indie... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1765 Views )

crazymike
1379th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Thu 11 Oct 05:06post reply

Everyone on the net seems to be auto-performing virtual fellatio on these two bands and predicting the death of the RIAA, but since the cafe tends to have a mix of more sensible and upper-crust board users, I want to know what your guys thoughts are?

Personally I think the real winners are the credit card companies who will laugh all the way to the bank (not a far walk) taking a near 1 dollar processing fee from every user downloading Radiohead's album.

I also seriously doubt this will be the end of the label system because indie bands will just sell out to internet megasites like Myspace.com for advertisement.

Of course I get called an RIAA tool for pointing these out but the logical are always the first ones to be persecuted.

Replies:

HARO
61th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Thu 11 Oct 08:19:post reply

You're crazy, Mike!

I'll just say that NIN and Radiohead USED to be two of my favorites. SOMETHING changed. Just not liking the new stuff.

edit: I have no idea what you're talking about! :D

[this message was edited by HARO on Thu 11 Oct 08:21]

Maou
1265th Post

"Re(2):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Thu 11 Oct 08:36post reply

quote:

edit: I have no idea what you're talking about! :D

Heehee, quote of the week.

But meanwhile, more power to them. Whether it catches on or not is another question, but the outdated, customer-hating RIAA system should have been buried decades ago, along with its rampant distortion of the historical use of copyright. This shouldn't be confused for pro-piracy talk, per se, we don't need that argument. See this for interesting reading--I think Lessig would be very much behind this new development.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

HARO
62th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Fri 12 Oct 08:50:post reply

http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/10/nine-inch-nails.html

"It's unlikely that anyone in the record industry is seriously spooked yet -- especially since there's a world of musicians still dying to use the industry's current business model to break it big."

I'd have to agree with this. Not too impressed with some well established big names giving the finger to the industry.

Once prospective artists can actually start using the internet to "make it big" and become financially successful, then there will be some massive changes. But too much crap music gets "made" popular by MTV, advertising... etc.

edit: I done learn somethin from all this! Some great book reviews in that amazon link thread.

[this message was edited by HARO on Fri 12 Oct 08:51]

bootation
571th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Fri 12 Oct 12:02post reply

quote:
http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/10/nine-inch-nails.html

"It's unlikely that anyone in the record industry is seriously spooked yet -- especially since there's a world of musicians still dying to use the industry's current business model to break it big."

I'd have to agree with this. Not too impressed with some well established big names giving the finger to the industry.

Once prospective artists can actually start using the internet to "make it big" and become financially successful, then there will be some massive changes. But too much crap music gets "made" popular by MTV, advertising... etc.

edit: I done learn somethin from all this! Some great book reviews in that amazon link thread.

Anything to put good music back on the radio. Diversify. Man there is so much good music out there that no one even knows about because marketing won't allow it out.

NIN and Radiohead are kickass bands btw.

Click this webpage

also chek out http://myspace.com/atomiswave2

shin ramberk
309th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Fri 12 Oct 15:54post reply

The RIAA is dead. Bands don't need them to produce good music. And with the internet, they don't need them to market and promote them. If a band can get popular without the RIAA, what good is the RIAA?

If the RIAA don't adapt and change, they will die. If the RIAA keep insisting on pushing quantity over quality they will die. If the RIAA insists on punishing their customers by suing them and overcharging them, they will die. If the RIAA doesn't start using the internet to promote and sell material, they will die.

The RIAA is trash. If you are a quality band/artist, you will get noticed on the internet and you will get fans and you will get paid. End of story. All it takes is hard work and dedication..

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Mokona
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Fri 12 Oct 23:29:post reply

Madonna dumped her label and went indie too apparently...

In this day and age of internets... what's a label doing for an artist that already has a large faithful listener-base... nothing that's what!

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Fri 12 Oct 23:31]

nobinobita
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Sat 13 Oct 03:49post reply

I think if this becomes a trend it'll mostly benefit indie bands and bands with hard core followings. Radiohead has those two markets cornered, pretty much being the only Rock band that doesn't need radio play to sell a million records, so they can get away with this.

I think it's nice. I just downloaded the album for $3, and it was certainly worth it.

I save money and the band sees alot more of that money (even though i only spent a Euro plus credit card fees) than they would had I bought it for full price at Best Buy.

I think this is just a good business decision on their part. They know it's so easy to just file share, so people are more likely to actually buy the album if it's only a dollar and its easier to download the album officially than to find it on the net or bug a friend for it.

This certainly isn't going to spell the end for record companies though. They'll be around for a while. Any performer that relies on TV or radio to get fans NEEDS a record company behind them to drum up interest in the band at all.

crazymike
1380th Post

"Re(2):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Sat 13 Oct 14:51post reply

quote:

If you are a quality band/artist, you will get noticed on the internet and you will get fans and you will get paid. End of story. All it takes is hard work and dedication..

I respectfully disagree. How many bands have made it big through the internet so far? And i don't mean just a respectable following but household name.

The music industry is a tough world, always a million talented bands behind you. And not everyone is a marketing genius. No matter how good you are you can't just slap your mp3's up on a site and hope for the best. The middle men, the agents, and the distributors will still always be there even if they evolve into another form.

nobinobita
167th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Radiohead and NIN going indie..." , posted Sun 14 Oct 04:05post reply

quote:
The middle men, the agents, and the distributors will still always be there even if they evolve into another form.

I must humbly take the middle ground between both view points presented here.

I think the internet is a godsend for smaller artists, but it doesn't guarantee success. I agree that you have to have good marketing behind you (even if you do your own marketing and don't have a label behind you).

But any way you slice it, the industry is changing, and the internet is flattening out the playing field to a crazy degree. I wouldn't know about half the bands I enjoy without the net, and I wouldn't be able to find out about their shows and support them directly financially without that good ol interweb.