New Vanillaware Game for Wii - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2043 Views )

nobinobita
148th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Fri 7 Sep 04:13post reply

it's called Oboro Muramasa Youtouden and it's set in ancient Japan.

http://the-magicbox.com/0709/game070905a.shtml

I know some of you cats were too hep for Odin Sphere, but I'm just going nuts for the art alone so far. I can't wait to see what they do with Japanese Mythology... the cool creature's they'll come up with, the color schemes.

Anyway, the game somehow looks like it'll be faster paced, maybe even have some platforming elements? I mean, you can't have a ninja game without lots of jumping!

Replies:

nobinobita
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Fri 7 Sep 04:34:post reply

Additional Screens:

http://www.nwiizone.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Oboro-Muramasa-Youtouden-Wii-14.jpg

http://www.nwiizone.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Oboro-Muramasa-Youtouden-Wii-15.jpg

I'm loving the art for the game so far. It's got a very fresh and authentic feel. The enemies look fantastic! Look at the beefy thunder god woman! Or the giant one eyed monk!

I'm glad it's got more of a weird GeGeGe No Kitaro vibe to it, than the usual generic dragonz and Oni that you normally see from Japanese myth themed games.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 7 Sep 06:57]

Spoon
1412th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Fri 7 Sep 11:07post reply

quote:

I know some of you cats were too hep for Odin Sphere, but I'm just going nuts for the art alone so far.

Pretty is awful important; never underestimate it's importance! I wonder what the gameplay will be like? Just like Odin Sphere? All I can tell is 2D sidescrolling action of some kind.

I didn't think Odin Sphere was a bad game at all... it just annoyed you with how you had to replay so many areas so many times, with the second-last book epitomizing it... if you wanted the final few chapters, you had to play through that book with every permutation of the 5 characters!

Red Falcon
5956th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Fri 7 Sep 13:56post reply

I'm certainly liking the look of it so far! That's an aobouzu there, as an opponent or boss or something. The big blue one-eyed monk. I'm keen to see more!

Best site EVER:Link Here

Ishmael
2930th Post

"Re(2):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sat 8 Sep 04:01post reply

I'm worried this game is going to not only have everything that made Odin Sphere appealing but will also contain all those elements that annoyed me about Odin Sphere as well. Perhaps the game will surprise me as much as Iggy's initial links did but at this point it's too early to say.

sfried
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sat 8 Sep 12:43:post reply

So will this game play more like Odin Sphere, or will it be a more streamlined action game? (Meaning, stripped off of it's RPG elements)

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 8 Sep 14:51]

Pollyanna
2336th Post

"Re(4):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sat 8 Sep 14:53post reply

quote:
So will this game play more like Odin Sphere, or will it be a more streamlined action game? (Meaning, stripped off of it's RPG elements)

Yargggggh! But Odin Sphere ISN'T like an RPG! The only RPG element is that you level up, but you level up in like every damn game that comes out now. They specifically say the new game is an action RPG, and seeing as I don't know how it could have LESS RPG elements than Odin Sphere, it has to have at least as many.

Zepy
1401th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sun 9 Sep 00:24:post reply

What generic dragons were there in Japanese myth games? I can't actually think of any japanese myth games off the top of my head where dragons were the main theme unless we count orochi as a dragon...

[this message was edited by Zepy on Sun 9 Sep 00:25]

nobinobita
151th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sun 9 Sep 00:24post reply

quote:

Yargggggh! But Odin Sphere ISN'T like an RPG! The only RPG element is that you level up, but you level up in like every damn game that comes out now.

Wow, i gotta disagree with you big time on this one. Odin Sphere is very much like an RPG, but with an actual realtime battle system (and I don't mean like active time). The game is very much about conservation and strategy and rewards patience. You still have to do heavy item management and use spells and items at opportune times, but instead of waiting your turn, you need to actually find a good spot in battle to use all this stuff.

Aside from the graphics and the story, that's why i liked Odin Sphere so much. It takes so many RPG conventions, but makes them fun again by putting you in control.

The spells and items are such a big part of the game, but you have to find the best times to use them, instead of just simply selecting and casting whenever it's your turn.

I mean, it's an RPG where you actually USE your items! I don't know about everyone else, but in every Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy I've played, I hoard my items like a mizer. Which ironically you can afford to do in those games because items ares so easy to come by.

Odin Sphere is quite the opposite. I can't think of another RPG where it is actually difficult to come across money and items, yet you actually use both actively.

And using them is fun too! I much prefer planting a seed, knowing ahead of time that i'll kill enough enemies to make it sprout fruit (anticipating that i'll have taken some damage by then too) rather than just stocking an infinite amount of potions.

Even making the items is fun, because the items themselves act as a world building element of the game. They're not just abstract things that replenish your health, they are palpable, visually enthralling elements that bring you into the world. Ive never thought too hard on what a potion or ether taste like, but I can imagine very well how tender the Scythian Lamb's meat is, or how tart a mulberry is. And don't get me started on the Cafe foods!

Even beyond that, things that should be annoying like having to drink a heat potion in the snow level are actually fun. Because it conveys the feeling of drinking something warm on a snowey, quiet cold ass morning.

And man, even the way the characters USE their items is well thought out. Cornelius and Oswald scarf their food down, while Mercedes nibbles like a Princess, and even Gwendolyn the proud Valkeyrie makes sure to wipe her mouth (she's a princess too afterall). This effects gameplay AND conveys character.

It's all these little touches that make me love Odin Sphere so much. That's why I don't find it repetitive, because I much prefer how wholly integrated every element of the game is over other games, which admitedly might have more varied gameplay.

I can see how the game might not appeal to everyone, but it just really clicks on a personal esthetic level for me.

Iggy
8145th Post

"Re(6):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sun 9 Sep 00:42:post reply

Surely, Odin Sphere is an action game. You jump, you hit people and you try to evade their attacks. Action.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Sun 9 Sep 00:46]

nobinobita
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sun 9 Sep 00:43post reply

quote:
What generic dragons were there in Japanese myth games? I can't actually think of any japanese myth games off the top of my head where dragons were the main theme unless we count orochi as a dragon...

Haha ok, you got me. After I posted that I realized I couldn't think of any Japanese games with many Chinese style dragons in them. And even if this game is full of them i'll still love the shit out of it.

My point is though, that it's cool that they seem to be including alot of Yokai and more obscure demons, which gives the game a more folksy and scary feeling.

They seem to be doing their research. I like that I can look at the Raijin Woman and I can already see aspects of her pesonality and class coming through. Not only is it cool that she's so monstrously beefy, it's cool that the contours of her muscles are very much like a scroll painting. And it's cool that she's holding Vajra's, which according to tradition shoot lightning bolts. And it's cool that she's got elk like antlers, which means she'll probably be really strong, considering that the Japanese hold the elk-like Kirin in higher esteem than any other mythological creature.

I apologize if I sound arrogant or argumentative. I'm just trying to express my excitement over a new game! And hopefully I can do that without disparaging other games or other people's oppinions. (^∇^)

Red Falcon
5957th Post

"Re(7):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sun 9 Sep 02:55post reply

quote:

My point is though, that it's cool that they seem to be including alot of Yokai and more obscure demons, which gives the game a more folksy and scary feeling.

They seem to be doing their research. I like that I can look at the Raijin Woman and I can already see aspects of her pesonality and class coming through. Not only is it cool that she's so monstrously beefy, it's cool that the contours of her muscles are very much like a scroll painting. And it's cool that she's holding Vajra's, which according to tradition shoot lightning bolts. And it's cool that she's got elk like antlers, which means she'll probably be really strong, considering that the Japanese hold the elk-like Kirin in higher esteem than any other mythological creature.

Agree with all of that, the minute I saw Aobouzu in the one shot I was excited, ha ha ha.
A really cool site! Hardly comprehensive, ha ha ha, but neat.

Best site EVER:Link Here

sfried
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Sun 9 Sep 07:04post reply

quote:
Agree with all of that, the minute I saw Aobouzu in the one shot I was excited, ha ha ha.
A really cool site! Hardly comprehensive, ha ha ha, but neat.

I'm sure you could give better explanations than that site...

TreIII
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):New Vanillaware Game for Wii" , posted Wed 12 Sep 07:43post reply

This game certainly has my notice. Between the likes of this, "Eternity's Child" and whatever SNK-P is slated to support the Wii with, I could definitely see the Wii is probably going to be the home turf for 2D stuff in the coming generation.

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?