MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTHS... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2366 Views )

Just a Person
958th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTHS..." , posted Tue 28 Aug 04:22post reply

...That's right. After almost two months with no news (the last bio Midway published was shown in the end of June), finally Midway decided to release Ashrah's bio.

Not a bad bio, really, but not one of the best ones, either. Plus, it doesn't add anything new, since we've already seen all about it on Nitara's bio. The only point of curiosity is: who are the "celestial beings" that talked to Ashrah and convinced her to slay the vampires?? I mean, even if all the vampires are evil beings (and at least Nitara seems to be quite neutral), it doesn't seem like a celestial request to make her slay living beings...

But damn, two months for just ONE bio... if Midway is taking all this time to write the bios, I hope at least the next one is about someone who has been missing for a long time, like Kintaro, Motaro, Reiko, Kai, Sheeva or Chameleon. Since most of Taven's and Daegon's story is revealed in the game, their bios should be the last ones to be made...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Replies:

Just a Person
959th Post

"Re(1):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Tue 28 Aug 04:36post reply

For those who didn't see the other bios published so far:

Kenshi
Sareena
Fujin
Nightwolf
Raiden
Johnny Cage
Sonya
Rain
Jarek
Onaga
Blaze
Shang Tsung
Shujinko
Mileena
Khameleon
Nitara

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

crazymike
1372th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Tue 28 Aug 07:19:post reply

Just to make a general comment on MK itself...

I think maybe Midway took their series a little too seriously. When MK1 came out it was more of a exploitive parody of martial arts movies and western stereotypes of eastern cinema in general, but I notice over the years they have tried to turn it into this massive mythology that tries to be like an epic.

Not that I hate MK or anything, I think it is an underrated series and I do think it has shifted to 3D much better than Street Fighter or or any SNK titles has.

But I really miss the cheesy ninja outfits and the Big Trouble from Little China-esque Raiden! Let's not forget the other humorous aspects like the inhuman grunting and who can forget the screams of the dead nearly 2-3 seconds after their head has been severed from its body?

[this message was edited by crazymike on Tue 28 Aug 07:20]

Ishmael
2917th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Tue 28 Aug 22:21post reply

With MK:Deception Midway defied all odds and somehow were able to pull MK out of the self-parody it had devolved into and made the MK brand a hot property again. But just as quickly they managed to squander that momentum. It's amazing, really. While I now know better than to declare that MK won't come back yet again I do wonder how they are going to re-gain the ground they have recently lost.

Gojira
2212th Post

"Re(4):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Wed 29 Aug 02:51post reply

MK, sadly, was never a joke. From the very first game, Midway was serious about the whole bloody thing. Yes, this is what passed for serious shit in the video games of the early 90's.

As for recent developments, I wouldn't say they've lost anything, but rather they were on the verge of gaining new ground with a more polished engine, and choked themselves out on the usual mindless gimmicks.

Just a Person
961th Post

"Re(4):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Wed 29 Aug 04:49post reply

quote:
With MK:Deception Midway defied all odds and somehow were able to pull MK out of the self-parody it had devolved into and made the MK brand a hot property again.

Actually they began that process with MK:Deadly Alliance, wasn't it? Deception just expanded the innovations.

Ishmael
2919th Post

"Re(5):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Wed 29 Aug 04:54post reply

quote:
Actually they began that process with MK:Deadly Alliance, wasn't it? Deception just expanded the innovations.

Whoops, that's what I get for not making sure I have everything straight before I post. Thanks for catching that.

dr baghead
3709th Post

"Re(4):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Fri 31 Aug 12:08post reply

quote:
While I now know better than to declare that MK won't come back yet again I do wonder how they are going to re-gain the ground they have recently lost.

Apparently MK8 will be a continuation of the existing engine (hopefully it'll keep the one weapon-one hand-to-hand system MK:A has, I didn't much like 2h-t-h-1-weapon) So that'll help it keep a little moumentium since it'll be fun to play still... and it might be a 'the next generation' game like SF3, MOTW,and Tekken 3 (we've been told "a sub-zero and a scorpion" will likely be present, suggesting they might not be the current ones) so that will probably generate some buzz among fans to see new designs and spectulate on what they might be.

Personally I think a "next generation" is the wrong way to take MK (since pretty much all the new characters suck and things that would be interesting like 800 year old Kung-fu master guys, a main character fighting as a zombie, girl Sub-Zero (and I'd lump Jarek in the same catagory as 'new Kano'), and Scorpion being some over powered douchebag from training in the underworld are already in the cannon) but I'm still certain MK10 will be another massive clusterfuck of "MK8-9 VS MK:DA... also puzzle kombat!"

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

ZamIAm
1657th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):MK Armageddon - new bio after TWO MONTH" , posted Sat 1 Sep 09:41post reply

I like Asrah a lot and her bio technically isn't bad, but it suffers from the exact same problem as Rain: No new info. I mean it's cool to see Asrah's point of view where she feels like she's getting a heavenly calling, it's just sad that we don't learn anything of her attempt to kill Noob (though I doubt she's that strong) or any possible interactions with Sareena, Shinnok, or Quan Chi.

Ishmael
2951th Post

"Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Sat 29 Sep 00:31post reply

MK verses DC

Digitalboy
457th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Sat 29 Sep 00:55post reply

I am bored at work so instead of typing about how I would like to see fighter "Alpha" up against fighter "Bravo." I am just typing this to waste your time.
quote:
MK verses DC

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Just a Person
990th Post

"Re(1):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Sat 29 Sep 00:58:post reply

quote:
(...) While we were unable to confirm the DC Comics angle proposed by the IGN Boards message, we do know that the game will feature another well-known established intellectual property. (...)

Please, don't let it be that stupid Ed Boon's idea of MK versus Street Fighter...

If it really is MK versus DC, then it's okay by me. I like some of the DC characters, but I wouldn't really mind seeing Superman or the Joker being decapitated. It would just be a really weird crossover...

I don't think DC would authorize this crossover, though.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sat 29 Sep 03:32]

Dr Baghead
3717th Post

"Re(1):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Sat 29 Sep 11:09post reply

quote:
MK verses DC

The Goddamn Batman from 'All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder' would be PERFECT for that... his 'throwing a flaming bottel of bleach then mercilessly beating the poor assholes as they burn would be a GREAT fatality (and no, I'm not kidding he does set a guy on fire using bleach and then kicks the shit out of him... the Goddamn Batman is my hero!)

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
991th Post

"Re(2):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Tue 2 Oct 06:08post reply

quote:
MK verses DC

The Goddamn Batman from 'All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder' would be PERFECT for that... his 'throwing a flaming bottel of bleach then mercilessly beating the poor assholes as they burn would be a GREAT fatality (and no, I'm not kidding he does set a guy on fire using bleach and then kicks the shit out of him... the Goddamn Batman is my hero!)

But there aren't many DC characters who would fit with the MK atmosphere... I can only think of Lobo, Superboy Prime, Raven, Batgirl, MAYBE Batman... but Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash and other DC characters don't fit at all!

Plus, what storyline would it have? Lex Luthor approaches Shao Kahn to make a "new" Deadly Alliance to take over Earth? Unless Outworld is full of kryptonite, Superman alone could destroy Kahn's whole army with no difficulties...

ZamIAm
1669th Post

"Re(3):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Tue 2 Oct 10:24post reply

quote:
Plus, what storyline would it have? Lex Luthor approaches Shao Kahn to make a "new" Deadly Alliance to take over Earth? Unless Outworld is full of kryptonite, Superman alone could destroy Kahn's whole army with no difficulties...

Actually, Superman has a magical weakness so Shao Khan and company would have a massive edge on Supes. At the same time, Wonder Woman is rather magically resistant so the whooping wouldn't last that long. Regardless, MK vs DC wouldn't really fit thematically.

shindekudasai
167th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Tue 2 Oct 10:47post reply

quote:
Superboy Prime Superman Prime

Fixed.

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

dr baghead
3718th Post

"Re(4):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Tue 2 Oct 23:43post reply

quote:
Wonder Woman is rather magically resistant so the whooping wouldn't last that long.

But if Wonder Woman is bound up she loses her powers... so in theory Scoprion with his spear and newly aquired demi-god like powers is easily more then a match for her

my silly little drawin's

ZamIAm
1670th Post

"Re(5):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Wed 3 Oct 10:24post reply

quote:
But if Wonder Woman is bound up she loses her powers... so in theory Scoprion with his spear and newly aquired demi-god like powers is easily more then a match for her

To my understanding, WW no longer has that weakness, which was sort of jacked up in the first place. "Tie me up and...I'm tied up! JINKIES!!!" And people trash talk Aquaman. Besides, Scorpion doesn't tie people up--he impales them. But, turning my nitpicking off I guess there would be some cool fights:

Aquaman vs. Rain (water)
Black Lightning vs. Raiden (electricity)
Vixen vs. Jade (melanin)
Mr. Freeze vs. SubZero (ice)
Batman vs. Noob Saibot (purely for a comparison of "hide in the dark and strike" abilities)

Iggy
8180th Post

"Re(6):Stupid rumor of the week" , posted Wed 3 Oct 16:51post reply

quote:
Vixen vs. Jade (melanin)

Wait, melanin gives sup....
.... pffff.

ZamIAm
1677th Post

"Shame on you, Midway..." , posted Sat 27 Oct 23:09post reply

Well, it's been officially confirmed that Midway has stopped working on the bios. It's sort of messed up since you think it shouldn't take that many resources.

Ishmael
2978th Post

"Re(1):Shame on you, Midway..." , posted Sun 28 Oct 05:38post reply

quote:
Well, it's been officially confirmed that Midway has stopped working on the bios. It's sort of messed up since you think it shouldn't take that many resources.

Hahaha, now that's the Midway I know. Still, that's a shame for those who were looking forward to the rest of the bios.

Just a Person
1014th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Shame on you, Midway..." , posted Sun 28 Oct 11:33post reply

quote:

Yeah, I saw it too.

Like Shao Kahn would say: "It's now official, Midway sucks". Really, how much work time does a full team of writers need to write those bios? OK, we're talking about 63 characters, but still, since most of the bios are interconnected, that makes the work much easier.

It was already absurd that they took months between each bio recently, and that is even worse. That makes the whole Armageddon story completely confuse, it leaves more questions than answers, it doesn't give Armageddon the so-promised MK-plot closure at all!

Maybe MK8 will fill the blanks into the general plot. But honestly, after that, I'm not interested in it.

dr baghead
3725th Post

"Re(2):Shame on you, Midway..." , posted Mon 29 Oct 06:48post reply

quote:
Really, how much work time does a full team of writers need to write those bios? OK, we're talking about 63 characters, but still, since most of the bios are interconnected, that makes the work much easier.

It's not so much about the amount of work but the COST of paying people to sit around all day and write bios for a web-site.

I'm sure it's something the MK team was doing in their spare time since I seriously doubt Midway would pay someone $7.50 an hour (assuming it's a minimum wage monkey they got off the street and not $30+ staff worker) do nothing but transcript the bios to a free web-site. The amount of expense to profit is so low there's no chance in hell of a deicated staff of bio-writers... and since the next MK game is probably underway the paid staff probably decided it'd be better to use their resources on finishing the current game rather then updating a web-site

my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
1015th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Shame on you, Midway..." , posted Mon 29 Oct 10:58post reply

quote:
It's not so much about the amount of work but the COST of paying people to sit around all day and write bios for a web-site.

I'm sure it's something the MK team was doing in their spare time since I seriously doubt Midway would pay someone $7.50 an hour (assuming it's a minimum wage monkey they got off the street and not $30+ staff worker) do nothing but transcript the bios to a free web-site. The amount of expense to profit is so low there's no chance in hell of a deicated staff of bio-writers... and since the next MK game is probably underway the paid staff probably decided it'd be better to use their resources on finishing the current game rather then updating a web-site

That's not an excuse. They were not giving the bios for free, they were giving part of the game that people were expecting, a part of the game that was promised but wasn't in the physical game in the end. Yes, promised: they promised that Armageddon would give a closure to the MK current story and that it would show the fate of every character. That's not what happened.

I think unless MK8 is an outstanding fighting game, this move made they lose their credibility with many players around the world. Unless MK8 is exceptional (and I don't think it will be), Midway can expect the MK8 sales to be quite lower than what they expect...