More news about the Mario & Sonic game - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2900 Views )

Just a Person
955th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"More news about the Mario & Sonic game" , posted Sat 25 Aug 05:05post reply

Sega and Nintendo released quite some new information and media about the game at the Game Convention 2007.

So far, there are 5 sports: 100m dash, 110m hurdles, triple jump, archery, and hammer throw. Other sports will be added later (I hope there are at least 20 kinds of competition).

One interesting thing is that, except for the characters, the game is quite faithful to the Olympic Games. I mean: no sonic-speed, no bombs or traps in the competition, and even the stadiums seem to be based on the real stadiums that will receive the Olympic Games in Beijing (or at least that's what the game developers say). However, the audience is made from chao creatures, shy guys and other creatures from both franchises, and the same applies for the judges: so far, they are Toad, Cream, Lakitu, Charmy Bee, and Shy Guy.

About the characters, the beta version shown at the GC 2007 had 10 available characters: Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Tails, Yoshi, Knuckles, Peach, Amy, Bowser and Eggman. But it seems that other characters will still be added. They are divided into four kinds of classification: Speed (Sonic and Yoshi), Power (Bowser and Knuckles), Skill (Peach, Tails and Eggman) and All-Around (Mario, Amy and Luigi). Both girls changed her outfits for the competition (although Amy's is still quite odd for an athlete). The other characters still look the same (yes, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Yoshi will compete naked...).

Oh, and as for the controls mechanics, they look quite interesting. Most of the sports look easy, but archery may be quite hard...

Here are some links to two video demonstrations of the game (link 1, link 2), and a gallery of screenshots. You know, maybe this game may end up much more entertaining than Wii Sports, after all...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Replies:

Black_Hayato
198th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):More news about the Mario & Sonic game" , posted Sun 26 Aug 06:03post reply

As a Sonic fan its kind of wierd seeing him slower. I just saw a video of the 100m. Mario bolts off the line pretty fast and almost beats Sonic.

I think what they were going for was that in their own games Mario accelerates to his top speed faster than Sonic. Which is true (hold the B button), but Sonic's top speed with much higher. Meaning if say Sonic hits a hurtle/obstacle, just like in the Genesis games he'll have a pretty slow recovery. But he'll still potentially overall be the fastest. Making him more of a skill character. Kind of a nod to the old game's unique physics.

dr baghead
3708th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):More news about the Mario & Sonic game" , posted Tue 28 Aug 19:40post reply

so does this mean Sonic might be in Smash Brothers?

I'm sure this game will be fun and all, but if the only Mario Vs Sonic game there is is an olympic tie in I'm sure someone's getting stabbed.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Just a Person
962th Post

"Re(2):More news about the Mario & Sonic game" , posted Wed 29 Aug 04:52post reply

quote:
As a Sonic fan its kind of wierd seeing him slower. I just saw a video of the 100m. Mario bolts off the line pretty fast and almost beats Sonic.

I think what they were going for was that in their own games Mario accelerates to his top speed faster than Sonic. Which is true (hold the B button), but Sonic's top speed with much higher. Meaning if say Sonic hits a hurtle/obstacle, just like in the Genesis games he'll have a pretty slow recovery. But he'll still potentially overall be the fastest. Making him more of a skill character. Kind of a nod to the old game's unique physics.

...Maybe Sonic can be faster than that, but his player just sucked, while the Mario player was really good?

I probably won't be playing as neither of them, though. Luigi, Tails and Amy will probably be my favorite ones (maybe Shadow and Daisy as well, if they end up being selectable characters).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Just a Person
966th Post

"Re(2):More news about the Mario & Sonic game" , posted Wed 29 Aug 04:55:post reply

quote:
so does this mean Sonic might be in Smash Brothers?

I'm sure this game will be fun and all, but if the only Mario Vs Sonic game there is is an olympic tie in I'm sure someone's getting stabbed.

Like I said before, Dr.: all the people from Nintendo that were asked about Sonic in SSB:Brawl said they would love that to happen. All the people from Sega that received the same question said they would love that, as well. And every fan of SSB:Brawl wants Sonic in it (well, I'd rather have Chun-Li instead of Sonic, but he's cool, too).

So if Brawl comes out and Sonic isn't in it, that means either Sakurai or someone from his team is really, really stupid...

edit: Sakurai could also add Highlander Lindsay Lohan, though. She hasn't been in any Nintendo game before, I know, but not many girls are able to use swords and curse at the same time... how "totally cool" is that?...

...not.

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Thu 30 Aug 05:00]

Just a Person
981th Post

"Even more news about the Mario & Sonic game" , posted Wed 19 Sep 00:24:post reply

According to this new trailer, much more new information about the game is revealed:

- New sports: table tennis, high jump, swimming and javelin throw

- New referees: Espio, Goomba

- New cameraman (???): Koopa Troopa

And, the most expected info: four new characters join the current playable roster: Daisy, Wario, Shadow and Blaze.

Also, according to this caption, it seems that Waluigi is playable, as well.

Plus, Amy is wearing pants (Sonic and his friends could follow her example...).

------

edit: Now, who do you guys think are going to be the 5 last characters (assuming the game has exactly 20 characters, that is)?

I guess on SEGA's side, Rouge is quite obvious (she's a main Sonic character, after all - and a thief can't be a referee... can she?), then Silver (the third male hedgehog), and maybe Vector (Sonic's side needs another strong guy).

On Nintendo's side, Donkey Kong seems to have a very strong chance, and as for the third female character... hm, people said there are some Birdos in the audience, so maybe Birdo won't be included... if Toad is a referee, Toadette has no chance to be playable.

That leaves... Pauline?? Could that be her first time to appear in a really big game after the old "Donkey Kong" game?? I hope so!!

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Thu 20 Sep 08:19]

Just a Person
986th Post

"Re(1):And here come Waluigi and Vector!" , posted Tue 25 Sep 06:14post reply

Recently, SEGA released an updated screenshot of the character select screen. So now, Waluigi is fully confirmed as a playable character (and so is Daisy); however, only one character was really revealed in it: the crocodile Vector, from the games "Knuckles' Chaotix" and "Sonic Heroes". It's kinda weird that he was chosen over Espio, who seems to be more popular, but I guess the Sonic competitors needed another strong guy.

Anyway, the 16 characters are divided into 4 cathegories:

Power Type: Knuckles, Bowser, Vector and Wario
All-Around: Mario, Amy, Luigi and Blaze
Speed Type: Sonic, Daisy, Shadow and Yoshi
Skill Type: Peach, Tails, Waluigi and Eggman

Apart from the complete weirdness of Daisy being a Speed Type character (which seems to be the most unfitting cathegory for her), we finally learned a little bit more from each character. And sure, even characters from the same type will have different stats, to make things more interesting.

Now, I wonder where are DK and Rouge...

ZamIAm
1666th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):And here come Waluigi and Vector!" , posted Tue 25 Sep 10:52post reply

quote:
Apart from the complete weirdness of Daisy being a Speed Type character (which seems to be the most unfitting cathegory for her)...

While it does seem somewhat "off" it's probably a case of not having anywhere else to put her. She's obviously not a power character and the Mario Bros always default the all around slot which leaves only skill and speed. Since Peach is most definately not going to put into the speed category and, within what little canon there is for the Mario series, I believe Daisy is supposed to be more athletic but less magical than Peach so Daisy just sort of fell into that slot. However, that makes me wonder just how athletic IS Daisy and exactly how fast will she be in the game. Notice that Daisy doesn't get kidnapped anywhere even remotely close to how much Peach does. There's even other subtle things like her constantly being put in the sports games, the fact that she has a subtle tan, and even the fact that the abomination known as the live action movie opted to use Daisy.

Just a Person
987th Post

"Re(3):And here come Waluigi and Vector!" , posted Tue 25 Sep 22:40post reply

quote:
While it does seem somewhat "off" it's probably a case of not having anywhere else to put her. She's obviously not a power character and the Mario Bros always default the all around slot which leaves only skill and speed. Since Peach is most definately not going to put into the speed category and, within what little canon there is for the Mario series, I believe Daisy is supposed to be more athletic but less magical than Peach so Daisy just sort of fell into that slot. However, that makes me wonder just how athletic IS Daisy and exactly how fast will she be in the game. Notice that Daisy doesn't get kidnapped anywhere even remotely close to how much Peach does. There's even other subtle things like her constantly being put in the sports games, the fact that she has a subtle tan, and even the fact that the abomination known as the live action movie opted to use Daisy.

Actually, Daisy is quite strong. I mean, her strength is even better than Wario's in the Golf game, and in Mario Party 3 she actually punched Bowser and sent him flying away... Sure, the last one is a comic effect, but still, she seems to be quite strong.

I think Waluigi would suit better as a Speed Type character. I mean, with those huge legs, he probably has some advantage in running...