Final Fantasy IV DS - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3056 Views )

shindekudasai
155th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Tue 21 Aug 17:16post reply

New scans up at the The Magic Box ... I feel like I'm 9 years old all over again. More excited for this game than I've been for any other FF in a LONG time.

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

Replies:

gorgeous
151th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Tue 21 Aug 21:57post reply

It says it's coming out this year, too? I didn't think it was coming out until next year. This AND Dragon Quest IV for DS. That's not a bad season, right there. I'll need to fabricate some elaborate reason to board airplanes / trains in early 2008.

I really like the super N64-ish character representations.

Rosa has a tiny bit too much cleavage though :/

exodus
3993th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Wed 22 Aug 02:24post reply

they're getting pretty good with the graphics on these. I actually played 24 hours into FFIII on the DS before it was stolen. That's a lot of Final Fantasy for me!

gorgeous
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 24 Aug 08:08post reply

quote:
they're getting pretty good with the graphics on these. I actually played 24 hours into FFIII on the DS before it was stolen. That's a lot of Final Fantasy for me!

you shoulda just waited for FFIV DS because it'll be undoubtedly better. i don't know if you can still stomach some final fantasy, though if you can, yeah, FFIV will be better than FFIII DS just because that's the nature of the universe dude.

yay!

Maou
1238th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 24 Aug 10:19:post reply

quote:
I really like the super N64-ish character representations.
That's actually right-on. Not that I like the look, but the description is perfect, it's like Mario 64 circa 1997. Can Cecil and Cain find all 108 stars?????

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 24 Aug 10:19]

Sensenic
1583th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 14 Sep 01:08post reply

Bump for a quite interesting new Jump scan.

Not only it shows the new look, both CG render and in-game model, of Rydia (grown up... Spoiler! And: did Yuna just dye her hair green?) and Yang, whose blond hair makes him look a little less tough to me...

But what's more important, on the rectangle down there an interesting piece of news appears:
If I got it right, apparently they created a new system to compensate for the game's plot-forced team members... "Decant ability system" (or wutever) allows you to pick the abilities from the characters that left the party and put them into any other! And of course, other new abilities available through other ways can be obtained too, as bonus for this version yadayadayada.

Does this mean redeemed paladin Cecil will still be able to use that dark attack of his? Will all of your party characters be able to mesmerize the enemy by singing a beautiful choral song as bards? Will Rosa get Yang's abilities and kick some butt Princess Fiona style?

And more... It's quite obvious from the screenshot in the middle: Back into a Square game from the chrono saga (well, maybe they were in another one for all I know ^_^; ), seems we will have team techniques once again!

Argh, they're making me reconsider getting this game! >.<

Like the wind...

"When the finger points to heaven the idiot looks at the finger."
-A kid from Amélie.

mbisonhatclub
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 14 Sep 02:08:post reply

What did they do to Rydia's hair in her CG WTF

The M.Bison Hat Club will not forgive them for that

However I will silently accept the polygon/sprited version in-game

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

[this message was edited by mbisonhatclub on Fri 14 Sep 02:17]

Pollyanna
2338th Post

"Re(5):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 14 Sep 02:24post reply

quote:
I will silently accept the polygon/sprited version in-game

Yeah, I'm not crazy about ANY of the "high-quality" renders, though the in-game stuff looks okay.

I kinda like how Rydia looks a little "tough" though.

Gojira
2221th Post

"Re(6):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 14 Sep 03:08post reply

Yang's new blonder look is kind of weird. I know he was slightly blonde in the original but it's clearly much lighter than it used to be.

sfried
26th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 14 Sep 05:03post reply

quote:
I really like the super N64-ish character representations. That's actually right-on. Not that I like the look, but the description is perfect, it's like Mario 64 circa 1997. Can Cecil and Cain find all 108 stars?????

I was thinking this was what Final Fantasy for N64 should've been like.

N64 finally gets its revenge in the form of DS Final Fantasy remakes. Makes me anticipate VI.

Cain Highwind
769th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 14 Sep 15:12post reply

quote:
What did they do to Rydia's hair in her CG WTF

The M.Bison Hat Club will not forgive them for that

However I will silently accept the polygon/sprited version in-game

As a huge Rydia fanboy, I couldn't be happier, I do agree her hair makes her look more like Yuna than her more "Iori-ish" 'do of her sprites/Amano artwork, but at least she doesn't look like an ugly witch. I dunno, I've been pretty pleased with the CG renders (People won't look at you strangely now when you say Rydia's WAYYY prettier than Yuna or Rosa's hotter than Tifa, unless they're one of those cynical "Video Game characters aren't hot" Scrooges)

I remember seeing someone saying Yang looks like a Kung Fu Theodore Roosevelt. So true XD. And I'm definetely looking forward to this new battle system.

CrazyMike
1377th Post

"Re(6):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Sun 16 Sep 05:29post reply

What sucks for me is after having never beaten FF4 I went back and replayed it and beat it about a few months back right before announcement of the DS title.

Maou
1251th Post

"Re(7):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Tue 18 Sep 08:21post reply

quote:
What sucks for me is after having never beaten FF4 I went back and replayed it and beat it about a few months back right before announcement of the DS title.

All things considered, actually, it's better that you ended up with a version fairly unblemished by Square-Enix remakes. IV drove me nuts way back when (played it after VI), but I have to admit it's an excellent little game that holds up.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iggy
8170th Post

"Re(8):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Tue 25 Sep 19:35post reply

A new character

I'm not sure I like the fact you can use the abilities of dead characters.

Gojira
2232th Post

"Re(9):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Tue 25 Sep 21:24post reply

I doubt it'd be terribly useful anyway. I just hope they don't plan on making it necessary.

shindekudasai
165th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Tue 25 Sep 21:42post reply

quote:
A new character

O_O The hell? Moogles? Kodama?

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

Toxico
4292th Post

"Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Wed 26 Sep 00:09post reply

quote:
I doubt it'd be terribly useful anyway. I just hope they don't plan on making it necessary.

The main question would be "for how long would you have to drag the character until your final party gathers". While I liked a lot the game, my opinion about it would be definitly better if you where allowed to keep characters like edward or yang, but that was just personal preference.

Sensenic
1585th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Wed 14 Nov 19:43post reply

Delurking and bumping for more CG designs, from the official page...
(put them all up just for completion's sake)

I particularly liked Palom's and Porom's. Very truthful to the original. And Porom turned out really cute. ^_^

Also, for you seiyuu Savvies, the cast list.

Like the wind...

-A kid from Amélie.

Time Mage
2611th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Wed 14 Nov 22:09post reply

quote:
And Porom turned out really cute. ^_^

That face doesn't fit her at all, it's too adult... The rest are OK, though.

It's a pity I already bought FFIV for GBA, I won't buy this one now, considering that aside from the face-lift, is the same game I've played already twice.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Sensenic
1586th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Thu 15 Nov 00:46post reply

quote:
And Porom turned out really cute. ^_^

That face doesn't fit her at all, it's too adult... The rest are OK, though.

Too adult? I don't see it as such... Maybe her expression is kinda uh... "calm" or "mature", but then again, that's her character in the game.

quote:

It's a pity I already bought FFIV for GBA, I won't buy this one now, considering that aside from the face-lift, is the same game I've played already twice.

Although it's not just an aesthetical (sp?) face-lift, there are gameplay changes such as "stealing techniques from the dead" (as Iggy put it) and coop techniques, I agree. In fact that's the first thing that came to my mind when this was announced, it was quite the slap at face of the GBA version owners.

Damn shameless milking. ó_ň

Like the wind...

-A kid from Amélie.

Time Mage
2612th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Thu 15 Nov 01:10post reply

quote:
Although it's not just an aesthetical (sp?) face-lift, there are gameplay changes such as "stealing techniques from the dead" (as Iggy put it) and coop techniques, I agree. In fact that's the first thing that came to my mind when this was announced, it was quite the slap at face of the GBA version owners.

Damn shameless milking. ó_ň

Yeah, not exactly just a technical revamp, but the additions are just gimmicks. They don't change the fact that FFIV is the FF with the simpler gameplay since FFI.

However, if they do another remake like this for FFV... Damn, I'll have to buy it. I'm a fan of the job system, and having 100 different pretty 3D models to look at (5 characters*20 jobs)would be something difficult to avoid.

And yeah, her face is too adult. Not "chubby" enough for a little kid, and the proportions (not size) of the body are pretty adult-like, too.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

nobinobita
204th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Thu 15 Nov 02:40post reply

quote:

And yeah, her face is too adult. Not "chubby" enough for a little kid, and the proportions (not size) of the body are pretty adult-like, too.

I agree that's not a child, that's some sort of sexy midget halfling hobbit woman with a come hither expression.

IkariDC
683th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Thu 15 Nov 04:05post reply

It sucks that they're doing it after the GBA port, thank godness I didn't buy any. I'll patiently wait until they remake VI!

I might add that I'm not the greatest fan of the job system. It's a pain in the ass to level up that many jobs, I always end up with a black and white mage and 2 other jobs for the entire game as much as I can.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Juke Joint Jezebel
3603th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Thu 15 Nov 15:56post reply

quote:
I agree that's not a child, that's some sort of sexy midget halfling hobbit woman with a come hither expression.

D:

Gojira
2257th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Thu 15 Nov 18:29post reply

I think the only real problem with the Porom CG is the overdone gravure idol pose. Otherwise the design looks passable.

I hope the music holds up this time. I picked up FF3 remake again recently, and I have to say the music arrangement is just terrible. Their choice in instrument samples is nothing short of obnoxious. If they mess up FF4's soundtrack like that I will have instincts to murder and more.

nobinobita
206th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Fri 16 Nov 15:38post reply

quote:

D:

( ̄ー ̄)

IkariDC
684th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(9):Re(10):Final Fantasy IV DS" , posted Sat 17 Nov 01:43post reply

quote:

I hope the music holds up this time. I picked up FF3 remake again recently, and I have to say the music arrangement is just terrible. Their choice in instrument samples is nothing short of obnoxious. If they mess up FF4's soundtrack like that I will have instincts to murder and more.

I agree that the arrangements of FF3 aren't anything to write home about. FF4's music is being arranged by Junya Nakano this time, and Kenichiro Fukui is delivering a vocal arrange version of Theme of love.

In other news, I'm happy that Fukui is still a member of The Black Mages, even after his recent departure from Square-Enix.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD