PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1885 Views )

Mozex
335th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sun 12 Aug 01:58post reply

A few months back my roomates drove my PS2 into the grave by playing guitar hero 24x7 for a few months. One of them decided to get a PS2 off ebay to replace it. That one also died.

Now I'm thinking that at some point in the future I'll likely be getting a PS3 anyway to play new stuff, but right now I'd just want to play my PS2 and PSX games.

I've heard lots of stuff about the hardware/firmware for the PS3 changing in regards to backwards compatibility - if I went to the store today and bought a PS3 would I be able to run all my old games?

Be kind to goblins.

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1501th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sun 12 Aug 02:13post reply

quote:
A few months back my roomates drove my PS2 into the grave by playing guitar hero 24x7 for a few months. One of them decided to get a PS2 off ebay to replace it. That one also died.

Now I'm thinking that at some point in the future I'll likely be getting a PS3 anyway to play new stuff, but right now I'd just want to play my PS2 and PSX games.

I've heard lots of stuff about the hardware/firmware for the PS3 changing in regards to backwards compatibility - if I went to the store today and bought a PS3 would I be able to run all my old games?

If it's an 80GB version of the PS3, then you might have backwards compatibility problems since that version won't have the PS2 hardware built in (that uses emulation software). I think the best way to ensure backwards compatibility on the PS3 is to get the 60GB version or the 20 GB version. Also consider that you can upgrade the HD on the PS3 something with more capacity.

I don't plan on getting a PS3 until Sony becomes a little more reasonable with their prices. Besides, at this point, I only want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 anyway, so I can afford to wait.

My solution? Buy another PS2. From what I'm hearing, the price may drop to $99 soon.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Gojira
2202th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sun 12 Aug 09:46post reply

Also consider that Sony is phasing out the 60GB models and have nearly phased out the 20GB models completely, so within a year the only models available will be the ones without the emotion chip PS2 emulation hardware.

Mozex
336th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sun 12 Aug 13:57post reply

So if I were to buy a 60GB PS3 I would be able to use it to play any PS2 game because *ALL* 60GB versions have hardware compatability support?

FYI, this would be purchased in America.

Be kind to goblins.

Digitalboy
439th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sun 12 Aug 15:34post reply

I feel the same way about the price and the only reason to buy a PS3 is MGS4. I thought that I was the only one that is NOT impulse buying. Oh, good, it ain't just me.
quote:
I don't plan on getting a PS3 until Sony becomes a little more reasonable with their prices. Besides, at this point, I only want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 anyway, so I can afford to wait.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Iggy
8095th Post

"Re(3):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sun 12 Aug 18:40post reply

quote:
I feel the same way about the price and the only reason to buy a PS3 is MGS4. I thought that I was the only one that is NOT impulse buying. Oh, good, it ain't just me.

Oh, you know, I'm waiting for Siren 3 (or reallu anything worth playing) so I'm in the same league.

If you (Mozex) can't or don't want to buy one immediatly (to get the 60go+emotion engine one), I would tell you to just buy a new PS2 and wait. The 80 Go will have problems, but they will eventually release yet another version in one year or two that will fix them.
Or Sony will have shut down.

Burning Ranger
1503th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Mon 13 Aug 00:16post reply

quote:
So if I were to buy a 60GB PS3 I would be able to use it to play any PS2 game because *ALL* 60GB versions have hardware compatability support?

FYI, this would be purchased in America.

I don't think you can play *all* PS2 games even with the 60GB systems, but the compatibility rates are supposed to be better than the systems without the Emotion Engine hardware (80GB versions).

You might want to read this as it might make some sense (despite it being a Wikipedia article):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Backward_compatibility

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

KTallguy
930th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Mon 13 Aug 06:50post reply

If you're planning on getting one for MGS4, then just get the 60 and be done with it, I think.

Play to win.

justicekyo
685th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sat 18 Aug 16:45post reply

quote:

even with the 60gb version... there's problems with games that dont follow the TRC. and odd little qurks with machine coding(EX: Tekken 5, GT 4) that prevent it from being played perfectly.

gorgeous
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Sat 18 Aug 18:05post reply

also, regarding backward compatibility problems: there should be a firmware update before october that fixes backward compatibility issues for every PS2 game via "software" emulation!

take my word for it ;-(

exodus
3990th Post

"Re(3):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Mon 20 Aug 08:15post reply

quote:

take my word for it ;-(

whatever happened to the real PSP redesign?

Maou
1230th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Mon 20 Aug 08:29post reply

quote:
Also, whatever happened to the PSP?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Mozex
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Mon 20 Aug 14:22post reply

quote:

It didn't have as many good games as the DS/GBA did.

Be kind to goblins.

gorgeous
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Mon 20 Aug 23:35post reply

quote:

take my word for it ;-(

that wasn't my fault ;-(

let's just say that some people thought making a redesign that was, in any way, OBVIOUSLY better than the original wasn't a good idea because it alienated the owners of the original, and that giving said console a different name was even MORE alienating :(

Ishmael
2911th Post

"Re(6):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Tue 21 Aug 00:00post reply

quote:

It didn't have as many good games as the DS/GBA did.

That, and I guess consumers weren't as keen on squinting at tiny UMD movies as Sony thought they would be.

exodus
3992th Post

"Re(5):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Tue 21 Aug 12:54post reply

quote:

let's just say that some people thought making a redesign that was, in any way, OBVIOUSLY better than the original wasn't a good idea because it alienated the owners of the original, and that giving said console a different name was even MORE alienating :(

damn...guess a punch in the balls probably wouldn't have helped :\

Maou
1234th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Tue 21 Aug 12:55post reply

quote:
NEVER rule that out, though.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

gorgeous
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Tue 21 Aug 21:52post reply

quote:

Seriously though the UMD caching is pretty nice. It really, really, really, drastically cuts down load times. And supposedly saves battery life. And using the big old PSP battery isn't as bad as you might think.

I really wish it had a better screen, though :''(

KTallguy
932th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):PS3 questions OR, Damn you guitar hero!" , posted Fri 24 Aug 04:23post reply

quote:
Seriously though the UMD caching is pretty nice. It really, really, really, drastically cuts down load times. And supposedly saves battery life. And using the big old PSP battery isn't as bad as you might think.

I really wish it had a better screen, though :''(

I'm pretty enamored with some PSP software, I beat Phantom Hourglass recently, but then kept going back to Monster Hunter Portable 2 and FFTactics.

I use the DS as a Japanese dictionary and brain trainer :P If you see a guy on the train playing a PSP game while looking up Kanji on a DS, that would be me. :p

Play to win.