TreIII
7th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Customer

"OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the DS!" , posted Thu 2 Aug 01:34post reply

http://img41.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56703_Kunio_Kun_DS-1_122_1147lo.jpg
http://img120.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=56709_Kunio_Kun_DS-2_122_673lo.jpg

-Cited from: NeoGAF

Say hello to the newest, and probably most bad-ass version of Super Dodgeball yet. And it's gunning for your DS card slot some time soon! :)

Those of you who may have fond memories of the old Super Dodgeball game for the NES, which took the sport to an extreme that not even EA Sports could hope to match? Well, took long enough, but it's coming back...and it looks to do so with style!

Once again, the SD-styled bad-asses from the Kunio-kun series (you may also remember these dudes from River City Ransom/EX, amongst others) are finding new and creative ways of beating each other senseless in a timeless favorite like Dodgeball, for our enjoyment. New to this version of the series is an 8 player battle-mode (O_O!!!) through Wireless and Local Single cart (which looks like it resembles Kakutou Densetsu from the NES/Famicom), as well as the ability to create your own character (possibly like in RCR EX) and weapons being involved in the mix this time.

I once thought that the arcade game of the same name, for the Neo Geo, would forever be a zenith for the series that would never be matched, especially after that rather lackluster GBA game which didn't even have Kunio-kun characters! However, looks like Million and Arc Systems (who's actually seemingly taking more of a role in development here) see it very differently, and I couldn't be happier to be proven wrong.

Hopefully, for those who may not import, Atlus is already thinking about bring it over here as well...if they can be bothered to waste the time for a lackluster title like Draglade, SURELY something like this can be given its fair shot.

Any way, I know there's at least ONE fellow fan of the "Kunio-kun" series of games here (Rugal, where are ya?), but I thought maybe others may have good memories of the likes of the original NES title too.

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Replies:

Ishmael
2899th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 01:54post reply

Although I suspect I'm going to wreck my eyes playing that thing it's looking like a fine addition to the series. I wonder how -or even if- the unique set-up and play mechanics of the DS will figure into the game.

shindekudasai
151th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 03:32post reply

OMGOMGOMG!! KUNIO RETURNS!!!

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

Juan
4420th Post

"Re(1):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 03:53post reply

OH

MY

CAR

think well your answer

IkariDC
647th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 04:23post reply

OMG, a new Kunio-kun in the making! Thanks for posting this, it made my day!

Looking at the screens it seems there are a lot stages from the famicom and super famicom games. There's so much stuff going on, it look crazy, I love it! Did you notice the dog from Ike ike! Nekketsu Hockey bu in the Bean Ball mode screens?

So, are they going to erase any trace of Kunio & co. in the american version?

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 06:00post reply

quote:
There's so much stuff going on, it look crazy, I love it! Did you notice the dog from Ike ike! Nekketsu Hockey bu in the Bean Ball mode screens?

Oh yeah...I'm hoping that this game will be chock-full of various Kunio-kun personalities to round out the roster. The Dragon Twins, The Tiger Twins (from Kakutou Densetsu), Gouda and Goudai, Shinji, the Shi-ten-ou, Yamada, Sabu, Misuzu (as well as hopefully other girls) and many more? This could be a very, very, VERY stacked game, if ASW is up to the challenge, and Million Corp makes sure that no character from the series gets left out inadvertently.

quote:
So, are they going to erase any trace of Kunio & co. in the american version?

As of right now, there's not even an American version announced. But I'm sure that Atlus will probably come through once again. And when they do, they'll probably patch over the names once again.

Though, I'm hoping that they may think of trying to keep some semblance of continuity from RCR EX, and just rename the characters based at least some what on those that were in that game. The whole "World Tournament Thing" is played out by now, any way.

Pollyanna
2316th Post

"Re(4):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 06:53post reply

Speaking of Kunio-kun, I would highly recommend Kenka Bancho to fans of the series with Japanese knowledge. To me, it's very much like a next-gen Kunio. The gameplay is suitably poor as well.

Spoon
1407th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 07:08post reply

quote:
Speaking of Kunio-kun, I would highly recommend Kenka Bancho to fans of the series with Japanese knowledge. To me, it's very much like a next-gen Kunio. The gameplay is suitably poor as well.

Did you have a chance to try Kenka Bancho 2: FULL THROTTLE?

We gave it a try, but the incessant and long load times irritated us to the extent that we stopped playing it.

Pollyanna
2318th Post

"Re(6):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 10:04post reply

quote:

Did you have a chance to try Kenka Bancho 2: FULL THROTTLE?

We gave it a try, but the incessant and long load times irritated us to the extent that we stopped playing it.

Yeah, the game has a lot of problems. I didn't notice the load times, but I was playing with a lot of friends, so it was a bit of a biased experience. It reminded me of GTA in that it challenges you not to do incredibly stupid things.

The ability to ring the bell on your bike makes all the difference in the world.

Hmm...now I really want to make my own deko chari.

Spoon
1408th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 10:49post reply

quote:

The ability to ring the bell on your bike makes all the difference in the world.

Hmm...now I really want to make my own deko chari.

Ringing the bell on the bike while sticking out both arms and legs and hitting people with them is terrific.

I think that the combat in River City Ransom is better than in what little I played of Kenka Bancho, though. RCR's fighting is fun from the get-go, while Kenka Bancho's feels... not so fun. I can see that you can learn new moves, but does it actually become more interesting or does it feel like just another scoop of the same slop?

I should also say that I am TOTALLY ENTHUSED for this dodgeball game. Kunio-kun sports games are the best, let's hope for a revival!

Toxico
4276th Post

"Re(1):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 11:42post reply

This is big, the main question is; if the game play will resemble the old nes/snes titles or the neo geo arcade game.

The snes games where a little slow paced and is what hard to pull out and the game was a little stern when beating up the enemy.

The neo geo game had wayyyy to much freedom. not only combos where possible but there it where some infinite combos lying around (some of them even included the whole enemy team in the beating); plus, there it where a lot of cheap techniques that could be discovered, like playing in the enemy field, between many other cheap tricks

I do hope that they retake the neo geo game gimmicks; while it was really broken in 2p games; it took way too much time and trainning conquering the game mechanics

TreIII
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 14:26post reply

quote:

Eh, I wouldn't agree. Both of them utilize the Yankiis to an interesting, and very bad-ass effect, but the two game series really are night and day in some manner, as well.

I mean, shoot, just because Bare Knuckle and Final Fight correlate on a number of things as well, doesn't exactly mean that they equate in the same manner...

quote:
This is big, the main question is; if the game play will resemble the old nes/snes titles or the neo geo arcade game.

The snes games where a little slow paced and is what hard to pull out and the game was a little stern when beating up the enemy.

The neo geo game had wayyyy to much freedom. not only combos where possible but there it where some infinite combos lying around (some of them even included the whole enemy team in the beating); plus, there it where a lot of cheap techniques that could be discovered, like playing in the enemy field, between many other cheap tricks

I do hope that they retake the neo geo game gimmicks; while it was really broken in 2p games; it took way too much time and trainning conquering the game mechanics

Well, by the looks of things, they seem to be going back to the style of the classic NES and 80s Arcade game. So, I'm willing to bet that you probably won't see combos of SD '96's sort.

Of course, considering what was going on in the scans depicted, it looks like it's still going to be a very busy and very CRAZY game. Look at that guy chucking a friggin' SPEAR at people in the second page's scan! And that other guy looked like he was using a taser of some sort, because it certainly didn't look like a "dodge ball special"...

Pollyanna
2319th Post

"Re(3):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 17:03post reply

quote:
Both of them utilize the Yankiis to an interesting, and very bad-ass effect, but the two game series really are night and day in some manner, as well.

I mean, shoot, just because Bare Knuckle and Final Fight correlate on a number of things as well, doesn't exactly mean that they equate in the same manner...

Okay, so there are two bancho simulators. Maybe only two. If there were only two beat 'em ups and they were Bare Knuckle and Final Fight, then wouldn't you recommend fans of one to the other?

But I can see your point (and agree) that Kenka Bancho and Kunio are very different. I think it depends on how you look at it, though. If you see Kunio as a beat 'em up, then go to Kenka Bancho looking for the same thing, then you're gonna be incredibly disappointed. I think the gameplay in Kunio is so mediocre that if I thought of it as a beat 'em up, I couldn't play it.

To me, Kenka Bancho seem like a likely evolution of Kunio with similar sensibilities.

But yeah, to Kunio fans that like the series because it's a "nostalgic beat 'em up" and don't even know what Bancho are...well...no, I guess I wouldn't recommend Kenka Bancho. That's not what Kunio means to me, though.

I guess that relates to Spoon's question...I didn't play Kenka Bancho enough to say if the battle system really gets better, although from my experience, I think it's safe to say it doesn't. I don't really think that's what the game's about, though. (although I'm certainly not saying it wouldn't benefit from a better battle system)

TreIII
10th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 2 Aug 22:04post reply

Well, I can attest to one thing. Sticking it out with the KB series does have its rewards. The Battle System does indeed improve once you get farther into the game, get better moves and such. #2 definitely improves in this aspect, in my opinion.

It's no "God Hand" in my eyes, certainly, but it does the job.

IkariDC
648th Post

"Re(5):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Fri 3 Aug 00:09post reply

Yeah, obviously they are going for the old school dodgeball gameplay. Toxico, I also love the Neo Geo arcade game and I would love to see videos that show all those advanced gameplay tactics you mention in action.

I wish I knew japanese so I could understand Kenka Bancho, and many other things...

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
11th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Sat 4 Aug 10:05post reply

quote:
Yeah, obviously they are going for the old school dodgeball gameplay.

Yep. In fact, further more, the more I look at this, the more I'm getting the overall vibe that Million and ASW pretty much took the SNES game (Kunio-kun no Dodgeball da yo Zenin Shuugou, or what WOULD have been Super Dodge Ball 2, had Technos USA actually been on their game and actually released it!), and pretty much used it as a basis to make this new game...well, that and possibly Kakuto Densetsu for this game's 8 player battle royale, but that's another story...

Not that I'm complaining, of course. The SNES Dodgeball title was awesome because it did basically did more to really give the Dodge Ball formula the uplift it needed, plus boasted such things like create-a-char/team, being able to further customize your dudes by buying upgrades and moves for them (Downtown/RCR style!) and lots of replay-ability. Truth be told, even I'll admit that the Neo Geo game, while awesome, might as well be considered its own beast, rather than an attempt to really continue the work the original NES and Arcade games started.

But any way, if my hunch is true, and ASW and Million really are just going back, and basically saying "Let's take these games, and inject them with 200% more awesome", I'll definitely be a happy man. Can't wait...

quote:
I wish I knew japanese so I could understand Kenka Bancho, and many other things...

And I wish my Japanese was better than the sub-middle school level I'm at currently... ^^;

But any way, a small bit that might be insightful is that, for the most part, Kunio-kun games, especially those that utilized the "SD" style (Downtown/RCR, Dodge Ball and etc.) often choose to rely on hiragana for pretty much every thing in the game, which is definitely a godsend for those like me who are still struggling with Kanji. :D And judging by the screens that have been released, that looks to be more the case here, as well.

However, like a number of its predecessors, this Dodge Ball probably has a good chance of getting over here. Atlus probably acknowledges that there are at least a few dedicated dudes who may remember the NES and GBA titles, plus the possibility that it might be used to basically say that this is "the further adventures of the River City gang" probably helps. But we'll see...

Red falcon
5949th Post

"Re(7):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Sun 5 Aug 04:12post reply

TreIII, I challenge YOU to SUPER DODGEBALL... soon, wait until I'm back online and I'll update you, ha ha ha.

Best site EVER:Link Here

TreIII
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Sun 5 Aug 10:41post reply

quote:
TreIII, I challenge YOU to SUPER DODGEBALL... soon, wait until I'm back online and I'll update you, ha ha ha.

I accept your and your bastardly Sabu's challenge! ^__^ Riki and I and shall have our revenge!

Any way, I know that you were planning on picking up a DS for the sake of Contra 4...would it be right to assume you'd get this game too, while you're at it?

IkariDC
649th Post

"Re(7):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Mon 6 Aug 15:59post reply

quote:

Yep. In fact, further more, the more I look at this, the more I'm getting the overall vibe that Million and ASW pretty much took the SNES game (Kunio-kun no Dodgeball da yo Zenin Shuugou, or what WOULD have been Super Dodge Ball 2, had Technos USA actually been on their game and actually released it!), and pretty much used it as a basis to make this new game...well, that and possibly Kakuto Densetsu for this game's 8 player battle royale, but that's another story...

Naa, the "8 player battle royale" is just the good old Bean Ball mode from the famicom/nes version of the game. The more I look into those screens the more I feel the famicom/nes game's vibe. Of course, it's a safe bet to assume they're going to add some sort of customization like the superfamicom game. But what about the fields customization and weird moves (human tower, etc.) you could do in the superfamicon one?

quote:

But any way, a small bit that might be insightful is that, for the most part, Kunio-kun games, especially those that utilized the "SD" style (Downtown/RCR, Dodge Ball and etc.) often choose to rely on hiragana for pretty much every thing in the game, which is definitely a godsend for those like me who are still struggling with Kanji. :D And judging by the screens that have been released, that looks to be more the case here, as well.

Yeah, it was easy to notice that famicom Kunio-kun games featured hiragana for the most part, I always had that in mind to practice japanese if I ever get to seriously start studying it. Also, I own all the "Ore wa otoko da! Kunio-kun" and 4koma manga tankoubons that feature furigana, which will get to be quite handy to practice if I ever get as far at seriously studying it!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
13th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 9 Aug 11:55post reply

quote:
Naa, the "8 player battle royale" is just the good old Bean Ball mode from the famicom/nes version of the game. The more I look into those screens the more I feel the famicom/nes game's vibe.

I'm not so sure...look at the scans again. Notice how there doesn't even SEEM to be a Dodge Ball in play in those screens, while the other players seem free to throw every thing else but the kitchen sink (at least, I don't THINK that's a sink... ;)) at each other.

Maybe the classical Bean Ball style may be a mode of play you can call into play for this "Battle Royale", or possibly something else entirely. But I don't think what's depicted by default in the scans is the same thing as what we've seen in the original versions of the game. I think that can be concluded right here and now.

quote:
Of course, it's a safe bet to assume they're going to add some sort of customization like the superfamicom game. But what about the fields customization and weird moves (human tower, etc.) you could do in the superfamicon one?

I pretty much think that's a given, even though we don't have explicit proof just yet. I mean, Downtown/RCR EX pretty much was the sum of everything that people loved from the original game, plus the "sequel": Downtown Special/Technos Samurai, and then just jazzed it up to new levels of awesome. Even though they neglected to give us 2P co-op, they gave us so much more in the way of moves, characters, extra content and such that weren't in the original games, plus they gave us the option to even change the parameters of the game (such as gravity, speed and etc.). If Million was capable of that for EX, I'd like to think that with this being a chance for them to really expand upon the Kunio-kun Dodgeball formula in a way that the GBA game couldn't hope to match, they'll really pull the stops out to make it a lasting experience, much like Downtown EX.

quote:
Also, I own all the "Ore wa otoko da! Kunio-kun" and 4koma manga tankoubons that feature furigana, which will get to be quite handy to practice if I ever get as far at seriously studying it!

For real? Sweet! You should think about uploading them all some where for all of us to enjoy, some time! I'm sure that at least the infamous "Johnny Undaunted" (who runs one of the most venerable English Nekketsu fan sites) would appreciate such an act, and that's just putting it lightly... :D

IkariDC
650th Post

"Re(9):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the D" , posted Thu 9 Aug 15:50post reply

quote:

I'm not so sure...look at the scans again. Notice how there doesn't even SEEM to be a Dodge Ball in play in those screens, while the other players seem free to throw every thing else but the kitchen sink (at least, I don't THINK that's a sink... ;)) at each other.

Maybe the classical Bean Ball style may be a mode of play you can call into play for this "Battle Royale", or possibly something else entirely. But I don't think what's depicted by default in the scans is the same thing as what we've seen in the original versions of the game. I think that can be concluded right here and now.

I'm at work right now, I'll take a look at it when I arrive at home.

quote:

I pretty much think that's a given, even though we don't have explicit proof just yet. I mean, Downtown/RCR EX pretty much was the sum of everything that people loved from the original game, plus the "sequel": Downtown Special/Technos Samurai, and then just jazzed it up to new levels of awesome. Even though they neglected to give us 2P co-op, they gave us so much more in the way of moves, characters, extra content and such that weren't in the original games, plus they gave us the option to even change the parameters of the game (such as gravity, speed and etc.). If Million was capable of that for EX, I'd like to think that with this being a chance for them to really expand upon the Kunio-kun Dodgeball formula in a way that the GBA game couldn't hope to match, they'll really pull the stops out to make it a lasting experience, much like Downtown EX.

What I didn't like of Downtown EX is not having a 2P co-op mode and the reputation hidden points. Not being able to do certain moves at certain times because it affects your reputation... I just don't like that, you're supposed to be badass! That and the american cover of the game and that the japanese game is sold out. I can't understand why this and Double Dragon Advance weren't released here in Europe.

quote:

For real? Sweet! You should think about uploading them all some where for all of us to enjoy, some time! I'm sure that at least the infamous "Johnny Undaunted" (who runs one of the most venerable English Nekketsu fan sites) would appreciate such an act, and that's just putting it lightly... :D

Ore wa otoko da is being currently scanlated in english, look for it. Honestly, I found it funnier when I didn't understand the dialogs, this is kodomo manga after all (I think) and I'm now 26 so... Of course I know about Nekketsu Typhoon! A shame Johnny is not updating it anymore. I wish I knew php to make a renewal of the site for him, but I work doing web stuff in java, so at home I don't feel like doing anything like that.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
15th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game for the" , posted Fri 10 Aug 09:08:post reply

quote:

What I didn't like of Downtown EX is not having a 2P co-op mode and the reputation hidden points. Not being able to do certain moves at certain times because it affects your reputation... I just don't like that, you're supposed to be badass!

I whole-heartedly agree with ya about co-op. Considering DDAdvance had such a feature, I definitely let out a long groan when I heard Million didn't include as such for RCREX.

But the "Rep" points? I actually thought it was a nice feature that actually added a bit of depth that would have been otherwise made it more of a "wham bam thank ya ma'am", like so many other brawlers. I mean, sure, you had everything at your disposal to become the utterly powerful bad-ass you wanted to be. The game made sure you had the option to do so. But if you wanted to do that, be prepared to "pay the price". After all, if you already had the likes of Yamada/Slick's Psychic Attack and the Screw/Acro Circus, chances are, you didn't really need the help from other characters any way, right? :D To me, it just gave the incentive to give yourself more variety, as opposed to just working towards getting the best stuff as soon as you could, and then calling it a wrap after that. Just like being able to get the Senridai Bombers (Generic Dudes) as your partners really didn't serve any purpose but to see how well you could try and keep them 'em all alive...

quote:
Ore wa otoko da is being currently scanlated in english, look for it. Honestly, I found it funnier when I didn't understand the dialogs, this is kodomo manga after all (I think) and I'm now 26 so... Of course I know about Nekketsu Typhoon! A shame Johnny is not updating it anymore. I wish I knew php to make a renewal of the site for him, but I work doing web stuff in java, so at home I don't feel like doing anything like that.

Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye out...

EDIT: Is it the one by VGM and Null? I've been looking out for it, but haven't found it just yet...and I'd rather not have to tear IRC piece by piece until I do... ^^;

[this message was edited by TreIII on Fri 10 Aug 09:26]

IkariDC
651th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game fo" , posted Sat 11 Aug 03:34post reply

First of all, I'm on vacations, hooray! And next...

Kurae!

quote:

I whole-heartedly agree with ya about co-op. Considering DDAdvance had such a feature, I definitely let out a long groan when I heard Million didn't include as such for RCREX.

But the "Rep" points? I actually thought it was a nice feature that actually added a bit of depth that would have been otherwise made it more of a "wham bam thank ya ma'am", like so many other brawlers. I mean, sure, you had everything at your disposal to become the utterly powerful bad-ass you wanted to be. The game made sure you had the option to do so. But if you wanted to do that, be prepared to "pay the price". After all, if you already had the likes of Yamada/Slick's Psychic Attack and the Screw/Acro Circus, chances are, you didn't really need the help from other characters any way, right? :D To me, it just gave the incentive to give yourself more variety, as opposed to just working towards getting the best stuff as soon as you could, and then calling it a wrap after that. Just like being able to get the Senridai Bombers (Generic Dudes) as your partners really didn't serve any purpose but to see how well you could try and keep them 'em all alive...

I hate playing handheld games on PC emulators, and since I don't like the american cover of the game (and the fact they once again let go the chance to release it as a true Kuniokun game, although I obviously understand why) and the japanese one is sold out so I haven't played much out of it, sadly. From what you say, I understand the good points about that, but it kind of limits the freedom of doing what you like if you want to get certain characters or gangs to be on your side.

quote:

EDIT: Is it the one by VGM and Null? I've been looking out for it, but haven't found it just yet...and I'd rather not have to tear IRC piece by piece until I do... ^^;

Yeah that's the one. I hate to get stuff from irc channels, so if you manage to find direct download links or something, let me know!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
15th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game fo" , posted Sat 11 Aug 06:57post reply

quote:
First of all, I'm on vacations, hooray! And next...

Kurae!

Alrighty...I stand corrected. ^^;

Even so, with all the other mayhem that seems to be going in those very busy pictures, I guess my other part of my argument still stands: this definitely won't be "Bean Ball Mode" in the traditional sense that we remembered it. Or at least, what's depicted is definitely not it, though I'm actually expecting an option to possibly take out the other weapons/items and other variables to make it more that way.

In other words, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this mode does indeed take aspects from Kakutou Densetsu and Downtown in order to just make it that much more interesting. BB mode definitely could stand to benefit from such a change, in my opinion...

quote:

I hate playing handheld games on PC emulators, and since I don't like the american cover of the game (and the fact they once again let go the chance to release it as a true Kuniokun game, although I obviously understand why) and the japanese one is sold out so I haven't played much out of it, sadly. From what you say, I understand the good points about that, but it kind of limits the freedom of doing what you like if you want to get certain characters or gangs to be on your side.

Granted, but again, to me at least, it just was a thing about trying to balance the game out. Obviously, such a thing like this probably won't have a place in this game, where you not only can create your own characters and teams (and probably customize them and their abilities/super shots as you wish), but you'll probably be able to recruit other characters to your side as well, at least if the SNES game seems to be the basis that this new game draws from. That should probably be more than enough to make us all pleased.

Oh, and enjoy your vacation! ;)

IkariDC
652th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game fo" , posted Sat 11 Aug 21:06post reply

quote:

Even so, with all the other mayhem that seems to be going in those very busy pictures, I guess my other part of my argument still stands: this definitely won't be "Bean Ball Mode" in the traditional sense that we remembered it. Or at least, what's depicted is definitely not it, though I'm actually expecting an option to possibly take out the other weapons/items and other variables to make it more that way.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions the screenshots. As you can see, the main game also features all of the item using and fighting you can do in this BB mode. That doesn't turn the main game into another game mode. It's just that they mixed elements from other Kuniokun games into this Dodgeball game. I'll be dissapointed if in that soccer camp field you can't do super shoots with footballs!

quote:

In other words, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this mode does indeed take aspects from Kakutou Densetsu and Downtown in order to just make it that much more interesting. BB mode definitely could stand to benefit from such a change, in my opinion...

Of course, I also think it'll be interesting, it will make the gameplay a lot more varied, less boring. Unless it makes the gameplay broken if there are some nasty tactics using all those items or something.

quote:

Oh, and enjoy your vacation! ;)

Thanks!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
16th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):OMG! New Super Dodgeball game fo" , posted Sun 12 Aug 04:05post reply

Well, this doesn't exactly correlate to this recent game announcement, but seeing how this is the closest thing the Cafe has to a dedicated Kunio-kun topic, I thought it might as well go here.

Any way, this all started out with me watching this youtube vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ZlgkBArKU

So, go ahead and watch that. I'll wait. ;)

...Well, if you know your Kunio-kun, then the overall scene should look familiar. It's "Kakutou Densetsu" for the NES/Famicom, probably one of the better games in the series (as well as a personal fave of mine). Of course, any one who's played the original game would know that there's something seriously wrong with this picture. Upon getting to the last match, Toraji and Toraichi, the Tiger Twins get quite utterly owned...but by who? Well, it's none other than the original "Watch out for da BIG GIRL!" herself, Misuzu! She's hi-jacked the tournament, and now she's gunning for the challenger team of the Original and Kunio!

...And well, things don't go well here. Despite a nice effort, the boys just aren't up to taking on the uberly-powerful Misuzu's smacks to the face.

Any way, I thought that this was just a cute flash vid, at first. But since then, I've been "educated" about otherwise.

...IT'S REAL.

http://nekketu.nomaki.jp/t/u.jpg
http://nekketu.nomaki.jp/g/g.jpg
http://nekketu.nomaki.jp/g/s1.jpg
http://nekketu.nomaki.jp/g/s3.jpg
http://nekketu.nomaki.jp/g/s4.jpg
http://nekketu.nomaki.jp/g/s8.jpg

In a few words? Basically, take the original "Kakutou Densetsu" for the NES. It was already pretty bad ass enough, with only the likes of flicker and some times slow-down really putting a hamper on that game's parade.

Now, some devoted fans went and made a PC fangame that basically is everything that I could have wanted from a sequel/update to that awesome game, and upgraded it up the whazoo. 8 players can rumble at once. Pretty much everybody from Downtown/RCR, the original Kakutou, plus some peeps from other games in the NES series are in here, along with a number of their moves. You even get Misuzu the Super Bitch as the secret, Gouki/Akuma-like boss of the game. And she'll probably kick your ass several times til Sunday, if you even get to reach her in the story mode. All that, plus you got plenty more content-wise...

So, how do you get in on this?

First, you download this, which is the main game data:
http://sapporo.cool.ne.jp/kuniokun/KD04.zip

Extract that to a directory of its own.

Then download this, the NES-style music files:
http://sapporo.cool.ne.jp/kuniokun/BGM_FULL.zip

Extract the contents of that to the folder within the KD folder named "BGM".

That should do it for installation. A fair warning, this game is totally in Japanese (all Hirigana, just like on the NES games). Seeing how I just got started a last night, I haven't bothered to translate anything yet, but give me and some other proficient JP-users time, and I'm sure we'll come through...

I will say this much though: if you're having trouble with the controls, such that you can't even move through the menus, try opening up the KD config file (which is in English), and going down until you see "[KeyBoardAssign1P]".

Then, if you just need something to work with, try these values:

"Up = 38
Down = 40
Left = 37
Right = 39
Trigger1 = 96
Trigger2 = 110
Trigger3 = 13
Trigger4 = 111
Trigger5 = 106
Select = 16
Start = 17"

This makes it so that the directions will correspond to directions on the keyboard, while A, B and C correspond to the Numpad 0, Numpad Del and the Numpad Enter. Of course, if you've got it like that, and can plug in your own values, feel free to do the same...

I haven't figured out how to do the special moves at all in this version of the game, but once I or some one actually gets the time to look over the following page, I'm sure it will become clearer what the hell we're supposed to do.

http://www.geocities.jp/nekkketsu/waza.html

Any way, seeing how I'm a big fan of Kunio, well-done fan games and stylish remakes of my fave games, this definitely caught my interest. Any one who's either confident enough in their JP abilities, or willing to work around the lang. barrier should be in for a treat. How the hell this escaped the radar of me and other English-speaking Kunio fans is beyond me, but I set out to rectify this situation as soon as possible.

Take care, and I hope you enjoy gentlemen...

Game's main page: http://nekketu.nomaki.jp/frame.htm

IkariDC
654th Post

"Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari remake" , posted Sun 12 Aug 12:17:post reply

Ok, that looks interesting, I'll give it a try.

I've been also watching some youtube videos and...

Check this out: Korean developer Windysoft is working on a Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari/River City Ransom online remake! They got some names wrong but so far it's looking... decent and promising to say the least.

Edit: Bonus video, it's quite old, but too cool!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

[this message was edited by IkariDC on Sun 12 Aug 12:28]

TreIII
17th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari rem" , posted Mon 13 Aug 13:20post reply

Yeah, I've seen those vids, especially the Korean MMO. If it's not P2P, and has a JP version release, I'll definitely look into it.

Any way...I actually got to spend some decent time with the game. And I REALLY love it. First of all, putting in pretty much everybody who threw a punch in the NES Downtown series in this game was definitely a good move. 8 Player combat is frenetic and yet still very much a thing of beauty.

And adding in more items/weapons up for grabs is a great thing too (there's even Dodge Balls, as well as people who have "Special Shots"!). In short, this is basically what I'm hoping Million and ASW will do for the 8 man rumble mode in the new Dodge Ball game.

However, bar-none the real meat and potatoes comes from the story mode. Like before, you can either create your own person (using inserted vital stats), or you can select from the usable characters in story mode. But after that, these guys really showed their true colors as Kunio-kun fans. If you did well enough throughout the actual matches leading up to the championship round (in short, DON'T LOSE! As much as you possibly can!), you open up the possibility for some bonus round shenanigans! Misuzu is as much of a super bitch as before, with her auto-guard/hyper armor that pretty much makes it really an ordeal to knock her down. If Kunio is in your party with some one else, then you get to fight Todou(Titus), Yamada(Slick) and the Dragon Twins in a 2 on 4 brawl! Finally, a team of Riki and Kunio will get a special match against the Dragon Twins. This time around, the twins basically get uber-powerful, and get SFZero style super meters, which then allow them to pull out Shoryu-Reppas, Shin Shoryukens and Shinkuu Tatsumakis. All of this, again, just reeks of Kunio-kun otakudom at its finest. You even get some new cinema scenes that do well to stay in line with the rest of the series.

Needless to say, this fan game is probably among the best games ever made, fan-made or not; or at least, that's the opinion of this Kunio fan boy. I haven't had this much fun with a game in quite some time...

TreIII
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari rem" , posted Mon 3 Sep 13:11post reply

Some new media to be had! Found this while snooping about Arc System's website:

http://www.gpara.com/comingsoon/kunio_dodge/0829/index.php

Haven't taken the time to translate the actual text, but there are a bevy of new pictures to see. Notice how Team France seems to be able to channel the power of the Eiffel Tower itself into their special shots here!

http://www.gpara.com/comingsoon/kunio_dodge/0829/img/popup/08.jpg

Enjoy...

Iggy
8132th Post

"Re(3):Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari rem" , posted Mon 3 Sep 16:52post reply

quote:
Notice how Team France seems to be able to channel the power of the Eiffel Tower itself into their special shots here!

Oh no! Now everyone will know our secret !

IkariDC
660th Post

"Re(4):Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari rem" , posted Tue 4 Sep 00:33post reply

quote:
Notice how Team France seems to be able to channel the power of the Eiffel Tower itself into their special shots here!
Oh no! Now everyone will know our secret !

Well, that screenshot alone looks ridiculous and not in a good way. Maybe the special shoot in motion makes a lot more sense, and that's what I need, to see the game in motion!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
21th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari rem" , posted Tue 4 Sep 15:21post reply

quote:
Oh no! Now everyone will know our secret!

XD

quote:
Well, that screenshot alone looks ridiculous and not in a good way. Maybe the special shoot in motion makes a lot more sense, and that's what I need, to see the game in motion!

Hmm, interesting that you would think that...

I mean, when you already have a game series that allows for people to already do some pretty damn amazing things with a hunk of Nerf wrapped in a ball, such as being able to fling people "around the world", warp shots to your face (or right behind you) and so forth and so on...you'd think people summoning some mystical power to be able to turn the ball into a spear, a bunch of mist or hell, the Eiffel Tower, would at least be acceptable, if not a bit outstanding because of its "new-ness".

But any way...yeah, needs promo vids. I'm hoping Arc Systems will be willing to both show the game off at TGS, and possibly give us a release date that will be timely.

All they would need is to say "October" for the JP release, and I would be all over this game like white on rice. Between this and Contra 4, it'll basically be the 80s/early 90s for me all over again! And right on time for my Birthday, too! ^___^

IkariDC
661th Post

"Re(6):Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari rem" , posted Tue 4 Sep 15:43post reply

quote:

Hmm, interesting that you would think that...

I mean, when you already have a game series that allows for people to already do some pretty damn amazing things with a hunk of Nerf wrapped in a ball, such as being able to fling people "around the world", warp shots to your face (or right behind you) and so forth and so on...you'd think people summoning some mystical power to be able to turn the ball into a spear, a bunch of mist or hell, the Eiffel Tower, would at least be acceptable, if not a bit outstanding because of its "new-ness".

Don't get me wrong! It's not like suddenly I want the game to be realistic or serious. It's just that with that screenshot alone, I can't figure out what's the Eiffel Tower doing in the middle and the ball on the other side, I can't figure out the effect, how was the ball thrown and how the tower popped out off of it. It's just that in that screenshot, the thing doesn't look good, that's why I want to see it in motion.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

TreIII
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Korean Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari rem" , posted Wed 5 Sep 12:11post reply

quote:
Don't get me wrong! It's not like suddenly I want the game to be realistic or serious. It's just that with that screenshot alone, I can't figure out what's the Eiffel Tower doing in the middle and the ball on the other side, I can't figure out the effect, how was the ball thrown and how the tower popped out off of it. It's just that in that screenshot, the thing doesn't look good, that's why I want to see it in motion.

Alright, granted. And hell, like I said, I want to see this puppy in motion too. Rolling Cacti, Spear Chucks and Monument-summoning are awesome to see in pics, but full fledged videos is another thing altogether.

Again...TGS. ASW needs to deliver the goods.

shindekudasai
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Hackey-Sack" , posted Thu 6 Sep 09:50post reply

Any of you guys messed around with the flash game River City Hackey-Sack? It's awesome, can't find the link online but I stumbled onto the .swf on my hard drive ... anyone have some webspace and wanna host it? (5 mb)

IkariDC
662th Post

"Re(1):Hackey-Sack" , posted Fri 7 Sep 00:35post reply

quote:
Any of you guys messed around with the flash game River City Hackey-Sack? It's awesome, can't find the link online but I stumbled onto the .swf on my hard drive ... anyone have some webspace and wanna host it? (5 mb)

Yeah, it's a great game, it has awesome music too! It's easy to get the game, just doing a quick google search.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

shindekudasai
163th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Hackey-Sack" , posted Fri 7 Sep 03:04post reply

quote:

Yeah, it's a great game, it has awesome music too! It's easy to get the game, just doing a quick google search.

Huh, I kept getting dead links. Ah well. This game is 31 flavors of awesome with Joy2Key and a PS2 pad.

IkariDC
664th Post

"Re(3):Hackey-Sack" , posted Fri 7 Sep 15:38post reply

quote:

Huh, I kept getting dead links. Ah well. This game is 31 flavors of awesome with Joy2Key and a PS2 pad.

I didn't bother to check the links because I already have the game, somewhere in my harddisk.

Joy2Key is a wonder, I use it a lot when I get nostalgic and I wanna play some old dos games on dosbox.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD